the Rift

[PRIVATE] Don't be surprised, I will still rise

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Ampere the Mother of Companions

For the first time in a long time, Ampere feared for the herd. She hadn't felt this way since the mysterious spree of killings those seasons past - a sensation that didn't immediately subside even once the perpetrator was exposed.
Her heart clenched.

This time the threat wasn't one that affected the entire realm, but it affected her world, and that was more than enough. She knew what it was this time too, but that didn't make it any easier, especially since it was already within the herd. What do you do when the call's coming from inside the house?
This had never been a concern of her's when Gaucho had reigned. Even though she had often been at odds with him, whether regarding the matters of their heart or his decisions as a lead, it had never diminished the love of the faith she kept for him. If he wanted to blow up the land or bond twice, she'd be pissed, but she knew he was strong enough to weather it - both her rage and whatever end would come of his decision.

Sikeax she wasn't so sure about though.

With the memory of the herd meeting still buzzing in her ears, Ampere worked quickly to gather up her children, the itch of fear pushing her into haste. One thing that could always stir Ampere from misery was anger, and so it bit at her now, awakening her, even if just for the time being. The blow of Gaucho's death still weighed heavily on her, on all of them, and so it would for an eternity, only becoming easier once time allowed them to adjust to that weight. The herd lost a leader, but they lost part of their family, and that meant that more than ever they needed to pull the wreckage together. Maybe it'd be held together with old gum and shoe strings, but it was enough at least to look like something strong again, even if the inside was still hollowed and broken. Look at it long enough and maybe it'd inspire them.

So she dried her tears for a while and set her lips in a thin line of ill-contained fury, and she worked to rise up from the crippling loss to keep what she still had. Dusk had fallen by the time she gathered them all. A small electric hare offered an eerie blue light for their huddle, and Ampere glanced at it in thought as she regarded her children.

"We are still tangled in grief," she finally said, "and I can't ask that you move on from that yet." I certainly can't, some frail part of her whispered, but she refused to let it be noticed. Her kids had seen enough of her weakness as of late, time to remind them otherwise.
"But we cannot ignore what the greater impact this has left on the herd, and our lives. Ampere blinked slowly, a ghost haunting her behind her eyes, the topic too close for comfort still, and the need to be strong an obvious discomfort in this hour. She pressed on though, her teeth clenched as her gaze lifted. "We must steel ourselves against some unfavorable changes that are due to come. Now, more than ever, it is crucial we stand together as a family and always have each other's backs." Her attention shifted to each child in turn, knowing that they may not always mesh together well, hell even she didn't always get along with her kids (though her original doubts with the girls had long since waned), but that was all trivial underneath the greater love.

"Families may not always get along, but at the end of the day we love each other and we defend each other, not matter what. This is our home." The herd was family too, if not by blood, than certainly sand and sweat, and like any family maybe the herd didn't always get along with each other, but it was important to still protect each other when it mattered. Whatever Ampere's feelings for Sikeax, she would still risk everything to save that mare from an outside threat - but that wouldn't stay Ampere's hand from doing her best to pummel Sikeax if she was the threat to the herd.

From her back, Ampere pulled her tiger-skin cloak and laid it down before Tae. "This is from the tiger goddess that came from the rift. When you wear it you're harder to notice and identify for a time. Use it wisely."

Electricity then guided the bone dagger, Feusohm, towards Grusha's feet. "Made from the bones of a fearsome monster that several Helovian's had to take down, long before your birth... this dagger, Feusohm, will point you towards whatever name you speak to it. It must be someone's true name though, so be alert to deception."

Similarly sparks set a metal dagger, Forza, and its leather sheath, at Zero's reach. "This dagger was gifted to me by the land itself. It has five other sisters, which I've dispersed among my allies. Speak to it a particular phrase - the whatching shift goes ever on - and notice that it reveals nearby lands to you to watch. This one is Forza, meaning strength, which I hope it will help bring to you as it has me."

"Use these to defend yourselves, and each other, in the times when I may not be there to do so." She grit her teeth, a deep set frown carving her maw. "Not because I am leaving, but because I cannot always be there. You're all old enough now, but do treat them with care. A weapon has no qualms on turning on its wielder if not handled properly."
Credits: Image by eagle-cry-designs @ DA

@Tae @Grusha @Zèklè

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Iskra Posts: 79
Dragon's Throat Colt
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17 :: 1 year
Castiel :: Royal Humpback Leviathan :: Tidal Wave Blu
The meeting had proved to be an interesting turn of events for the young foal. His mother, whom he'd known to only be a slow, sad creature up until now, changed dramatically. She had sparked, like him, at the meeting, except her's were blue and they hurt. His wings constantly shed sparks, and though he had little yellow pops of lightning and the orange-red glow of flames leaping to life and extinguishing, neither of his kind were painful. He also couldn't turn his off, which sometimes would be nice since they were a bit bright at night - but her's were always off, until then. It was mystifying, to say the least, but that was just a small part of the change.

She also shouted. He'd rarely heard her talk above a whisper, so this had been largely intimidating, particularly since she seemed to be shouting at her mom. Or was it the herd's mom? It was someone important, that was definite. More horses had shouted then, and well Iskra wasn't really sure what happened then because he'd hidden beneath Ampere's belly for the rest of it, and then eventually set about to quieting his stomach with some milk, thinking things would resume to normal sooner or later. Except, then Ampere was running, and her teeth were nipping at his hide to keep him alongside her. Wild-eyed and feather-flared Iskra bounded alongside her, shifting between fearful at this sudden energy of hers, to invigorated by it, to extremely exhausted. By the time she finally settled down it was dark and he was tired, so yawning he curled up beneath her, drifting in and out of sleep as they chatted about things that went above him. Kygo, whom frequently liked to perch on Iskra (because Ampere still hated when he perched on her), nestled up with the babe too, though his eyes remained open and alert to what was happening with the little family.

Victory is in my veins
I will not negotiate
Iskra
background texture credit to Stuart Rankin at flickr.com

Hello, Blu still hasn't figured out how to write this character~

Zèklè Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 8.0 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 14.1 :: Three HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
charks

After the meeting ends and everyone disperses their separate ways, you leave, too, too tired to want anything but to rest among your family.

Your family - if Gaucho's death taught you anything, it's that your family is far from the mother and two sisters you once believed it to be. It's even more than the new brother - it's all the brothers, all the sisters, all the foals who gathered at Gaucho's fallen body and then some more, probably. You never really had an appreciation for just how prolific Gaucho had been before this, but now, as you stand among this sea of foals, you begin to understand just how far your father's seed had spread. Who will stand before them now? Who will be their leader, their father, their hero in the darkness, now that the WildFire has gone out? Who will guide your sisters, your brother? You know you have older siblings - where have they gone?

Is it really only you?

Your mind is heavy as you follow your mother, tying to keep close to your sisters (do they hate you, you wonder? They seem to hate everyone), your limping gait leaving uneven tracks in the sand. When Ma stops, you stop, your sunbeam eyes trained on her as she begins her obligatory your-dad-just-died-and-then-I-had-another-of-his-kids-but-it's-gonna-be-ok speech. You're still a little upset with Ampere for her outburst at the death; add that to the latent frustration of Hey, remember how you left us? and you have a comfortable well of aggravation in which to hide from your other, much more complicated emotions.

A pool which you settle into now. You're not ready to deal with the alternative yet.

When your Ma starts handing out her things, well, that's when your comfortable aggravation flickers into vibrant concern. You watch in stubborn silence as she hands out prized possessions like so much candy, your mouth a thin, hard line, desperately out of place on your boyish face. A tiger skin for Tae, a blade for Grusha. A knife for you. Part of you wants to reject it, to throw it back in your mother's face. This is supposed to be- what? A consolation prize? A bribe? I know I was gone and your father died, but here, have some shiny shit? You're angry, which perhaps makes your more your mother's son than ever before, but for once you bite your tongue. You don't want to make a scene in front of your siblings.

You want to be strong.

Ampere is fading, failing- you can see it in the frantic lines around her eyes, the way she grinds her teeth. She's scared, just like you are, or so you believe. And with that thought you realize something- she needs you. Your Ma, your rock, the person you admire and love and hate and need most in the world, needs you.

You step forward and turn, placing yourself firmly amongst the girls and and your mother, making a triangle out of your forms. Your face is serious, but with a little bit of its usual light, with a stubborn affection and sadness and hope. "It's ok if you can't be there sometimes, Ma. We're always gonna look out for each other. Always. 'Cus we're family, an' we'll always be family. Right?" You direct this last question pointedly at the girls, before turning back to Ampere.

You reach out and rub your nose across her cheek, a gesture of- what? Forgiveness. Understanding. Maturity. Love. "Thanks, Ma. We'll keep each other safe."

Image Credits
- table by Niki -

@Tae
@Grusha

Grusha Posts: 56
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 17 :: 2 HP: 65.5 |
Nashoba :: Timber Wolf :: Paralyze ali
grusha

we write our prayers on a little bomb
kiss it on the face and send it to god
Grusha's head was heavy under the weight of the antlers that had once belonged to her father. She wanted to be curled up somewhere with Tae, sleeping soundly and pretending that when she woke up Gaucho would still be there and everything would be the same. But as she stood facing Ampere, her other siblings alongside her, she knew that nothing would ever be the same again. The Throat was changing in ways that none of them could resist and that knowledge put a disgruntled look on the skeleton child's face. She was a girl that disliked change and yet it was all around her, swallowing her down and she was powerless to resist.

Ampere's voice made the girl's ears tilt forward and her blue eyes rose from the electric creature to her mother's face. She spoke of the changes and how important it was for them to stand together as a family and have one another's backs. Silently, she gave a slight nod of her head, but Zero's voice had her looking at him. "Unleth we go on a thecret mithion." She whispered the lie he had told Tae softly before she returned her attention to her mother.

She watched silently as Ampere gave Tae a tiger pelt and explained that from a goddess from somewhere called the Rift. It was only fitting that Tae would get something divine, she believed her sister was destined to become Sultana one day and deserved only the best that anyone had to offer. Her blue gaze then fell to the ground at her own hooves as her mother gifted her with a bone dagger that she claimed could find anyone if she spoke their name. She reached down and picked the dagger up and tucked it among the feathers in her wing, and while she did Zero was gifted with a steel dagger.

Before Grusha could ask why Ampere was suddenly giving her possessions away (as she ill and dying like Gaucho had been) her mother answered her question. Because I cannot always be there. "Thank you." She said quietly, but she was frowning. "What changeth do you think ith gonna happen, Ma?" The way Ampere had spoke had made the girl suspicious and uneasy and she wondered if certain members of the herd were going to be targets for whatever unfavorable changes might be coming.

"."

Image Credits

@Ampere

Tae Posts: 133
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7.0 | def: 10 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 2 HP: 72.5 |
Mal :: Timber Wolf :: Terrorize & Hel :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd

Tae leaned against her twin, trying not to let her magic completely dissolve her body. It was hard, and part of her - not even just a small part - considered becoming a ghost for real - dying - so that she could see her Father again. But only if Grusha were to come. But soon conversations about the importance of family would force the girl to tuck this daydream away for a long, long time.

Her mother's words sounded like they were coming through a layer of velvet, distorted by static. It was hard to hear, hard to focus, when, like Grusha, all she wanted was to go to sleep  and pretend none of this was happening. For all of her outward strength, she was just still a girl. A girl who wanted her Father.

It was only as the Tiger's pelt was dropped before her, that Tae's gaze cleared and her body solidified somewhat. Her lips parted in a silent gasp as she looked down at the pelt, and then back to her mother. "I really will be a ghost now." SHe marvelled, clearly in awe. Her white-bright gaze rose to seek out Ampere's, a smile trying to break through her mask of sadness. "Thank you."

Tae laughed almost coldly at Grusha's response to Zero - oh sure, she was over the fact that he had lied to them, but what little sister didn't like rubbing her big brother's nose in a mistake?

Tae's nose bobbed in agreement to Grusha's question. "No one can rule like Father did, and I don't just mean that because we love him. Who here is as diligent, as strong? As relentless?" The sideways way her lips seemed to push indicated that she clearly thought the answer to those questions was not Sikeax. Sure the mare was loyal to the Throat and had served them well, but such qualities were not all that was needed in a ruler.  

"You should rule again." Tae said, her voice low, but her piercing gaze confidently upon Ampere.

tae
this was your heart, this swarm of flies
This was once your mouth - this bowl of lies
Image Credits

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Ampere the Mother of Companions

She was immensely grateful to them all. Whether they noticed the same things she did, or had aged enough not to rebuke her simply for the sake of it, they all responded with a maturity that eased the entire situation, and she was proud. Especially given the circumstances, when now they had most justification to react in a volatile manner, yet they managed to come together and understand just as she needed them to.

Despite herself, her lips cracked with something akin to a smile, but it slipped away just as quickly as it came.

"Thank you," she says softly, an apparent exhale of relief cradling the word as it drifts out. Her gaze was one Zero when she spoke it, but she blinked and looked at each child in turn, clearly appreciating them all. At Grusha's query however, Ampere's features resumed the sober worry she'd carried before. "I don't know," she said honestly, holding the tawny filly firm in her sights. She deserved the truth, they all did. "Maybe nothing. Maybe everything. All I know is this herd hasn't been without..." Ampere stumbled over her words, unable to say his name. In the end she trailed off, her memories taking her back to a time before Gaucho, when she was still caught on the winds like a dandelion seed, chasing him through the sands just because he was handsome and little else. That was before- before the world went dark. It was dark again now, just not everyone knew it yet.

"We'll have faith in the God of the Sun," she offered as reassurance, but there was hesitation in that phrase. "The herd is the weakest it's ever been in years. Anyone who's been biding their time would be inclined to strike once they hear. " So why the Sun purposefully chose a leader whom was not a warrior now of all times was beyond her. "And you may not be treated the same within the herd now," she warned her children, all of them. "This herd is family, but that doesn't mean it's without envy, or jealousy, or anger. Might be some who held grudges that'll take it out now." Someone like Gaucho left a lasting impact on the world; sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. If he had enemies too cowardly to step up to him, they'd not be afraid to step up to his blood now that he wasn't here to protect them.

"Hopefully Sikeaxe will find her feet. Learn to listen and lift up someone to balance her into the position still open, but this first meeting didn't give me a lot of hope." And I just don't trust her Ampere wanted to say, but withheld those dark, bitter thoughts that encapsulated her opinion of their new Sultana. It was just a bit too perfect; a healer that fails to heal her king and then takes his throne? Surely the Sun wouldn't have been blind to such treachery, but Ampere knew the gods were not infallible.

Tae's comment drew Ampere's attention, which had been drifting, back once more. The gray-blue of her gaze flicked to her daughter with noticeable surprise. "Hopefully it doesn't come to that," she exhaled.
Credits: Image by eagle-cry-designs @ DA

[I don't think we need to continue unless you guys want to!]