the Rift

[OPEN] feel the silence

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
Alysanne wouldn’t admit it to anyone but she liked to keep tabs on the members of the Edge. It had been something she’d done for a couple years now. Not in a ‘where were you five days ago’ kind of way, but more in a general ‘who hasn’t been around in a while’. Helovia was a vast continent and it took some time to travel across it, she knew that well, but she couldn’t help but feel a pang of worry every time she realized she hadn’t seen someone for a while.

She just wanted to make sure that they were all safe.

So when she realized that she hadn’t seen Mauja since the herd meeting, or since their little post-meeting meeting, she started to worry. It was her natural state, worrying, it seemed - it came to her so easily. No doubt stemming from her desire to act as mother hen to everyone - and it was distressing to learn that one of her chicks had not been home in a while.

Perhaps it was nothing, perhaps he was travelling (perhaps he was avoiding her), but it wasn’t like Alysanne to brush off a situation and not give it any more thought. Instead, this worry joined the other thoughts in her mind that were festering, keeping her awake when she should be sleeping except for a few glimpses of sleep whenever her body literally shut down from exhaustion.

Pacing around the Edge waiting for the glimpse of the spotted unicorn didn’t seem to be helping at all so Alysanne expanded her search. Even if she came up with nothing, it felt good to actually be doing something.

Lyanna would be happy to know that Alysanne actually flew most of the way here - whenever the Orangemoon rains let up long enough to make flight comfortable. Hemlock hooted for joy frequently as she did so - offering suggestions whenever she faltered. Which wasn’t quite as often as it had been a moon cycle ago but still occasionally happened. But she had actually been practicing - mostly thanks to the fact that her little secret about not being able to fly had accidentally gotten out. It was harder to avoid stretching those feather limbs when there were others in the Edge that were learning too.

With a not-graceful-but-also-not-terrible landing, the painted mare arrived at the Deep Forest. She had been scanning the ground below her as she flew - which was easy across the distance from the Edge to here, with the Thistle Meadow covering most of that expanse - but the thick trees of this forest would make scanning from the skies difficult.

Besides, the overcast afternoon sky had released a light drizzle and the protection of the trees was comforting as the damp air encouraged the fragrance of the golden, decaying leaves to rise around her as her hooves trampled what foliage had already fallen.

Her green eyes were bright, and if it wasn’t for the nagging notion that one of her friends might be missing, this would be a pleasant day. Hemlock swooped through the trees off the weathered path that his bonded walked slowly along, weaving in and out of sight. The forest around them was quiet, except for the sound of the faint rain on the foliage above, and for now it gave them a sense of peace as they avoided the darker memories this place held.

If you could only understand—through my heart and through my veins
I gave it all,
I'll give again.

image | coding

open to any!
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Hope the wound heals but it never does, that's cause I'm at war with love
Never let a wound ruin me, but I feel like ruin's wooing me
She had always been the wandering kind. It started when she was young, her herd small and nomadic, adrift on the breeze rather than the land. It made it so that Ampere came to cherish horses as family, rather than places, but also instilled an exhilarating sense of adventure to explore and uncover.

This meant that though she loved her birth herd, her youth beckoned her to travel, a normal outcome for the foals grown there. She had wandered far and wide, finally coming here, and she had clung to the wilds even still. It hadn't really been until him, that the idea of a herd had at all seemed appealing again.

She had chased him across the lands, crept into his desert sands and searched for him, drawn inexorably to him despite her thoughts or her rationale. It had been as infuriating as it had been confusing, but it had been more thrilling than all her time spent on the winds. He proved to be just as rough, just as impressive, just as appealing as the wilderness. It was as if he had embodied it, and so he drew her in until she hadn't known what hit her.

At some point, she came to love him.
Him and his herd.

It felt strange now to think of anything but living there, the sands and the horses that thrived on them which had become her family over the years. Even if blood didn't tie them, sweat did, and it was enough.

Except he was gone now, and it felt to some extent like her home was taken too.
The sands were still there, the horses she knew still roamed, and she had literal kin of hers and his, and yet without him she felt like everything had been pulled out from under her. She wouldn't leave, wouldn't stop loving them, but she felt the strength of it wane - felt herself wane rather.

Maybe that was why she was wandering now. Before it would have been a sense of duty; patrols and missions carrying her from the desert she never wanted to leave. Now, now she had no reason for being out here, plodding along under the rain. There were probably patrols to be done, but she hadn't the heart to care. She spent most of her days in the company of the golem made after his liking, trying to find the stallion among the stone, trying to feel less alone in its company, but some days the hard and earthy body made the loss of the Wildfire that much more poignant.

Out here, in the dark woods under the cold rain, she felt his absence just as steadily, but it seemed more muted, not intensified by the heat and the sand and the fire that should have contained him, but no longer did.

“Hello," she greeted suddenly, softly, once she became aware she had stumbled across someone else. Despite her grief and its tendency to seclude her, Ampere didn't want to feel lonely, and in something like desperation she reached out for his stranger's conversation, however unlikely or useful it'd be to her. She just needed a reminder that things were still real, that she was grounded and that the world moved on even without him in it.
Kygo, bundled up on her withers, peeked at the mare whom Ampere vaguely remembered.

Ampere

image credits

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
I’ve become a simple souvenir of someone’s kill
Marembo had trailed off ahead of the Thief as she made her way through the Deep Forest. There wasn’t a place in mind of where she wanted to go, she just simply wanted to try and come across others, to expand the knowledge of the festival for those who might not have heard – for those that might be willing to spend a night up in the North before winter came and froze everyone to the bone. If one thing was sure, it was winter and the bite that it held. Rexanna could already feel the changes as the rain drizzled lightly upon the earth and her back, dampening the already spotted hide that blanketed her back and hindquarters.

Rexanna loved days like this, where she didn’t need to worry about a thing. Everything was going alright in her life for the moment, and she was going to enjoy every moment of it. She’d wait, enjoy the time she had where things were fine, before life inevitably tore her from her pedestal and wilted everything happy that sat before her eyes. And so, with that in the mind, the Thief mindlessly followed her polecat as he squeaked and hopped around, to and fro. It wasn’t until he suddenly grew distracted by the sound and movements of two creatures beyond the Thief’s sight, that she diverted her course to catch up with him.

Upon the approach, Rexanna allowed her gaze to drift over the two that had gathered, Marembo running up to Alysanne with a squeak of a hello and aiming to press his tiny paw onto her hoof in greeting. A small smile growing on his tiny fuzzy lips. Rexanna followed suite, dipping her head to the two of them – remembering the electric blue mare from the first time they had met and Ampere had rushed away, still, Rexanna remembered her name. She often tried to file names to faces in the back of her mind. She always imagined herself to be forgetful, but she wasn’t – at least when it came to people. And so, she offered each of them a gentle smile. “Hello Aly.” She began before turning her attention to the azure mare. “And hello to you, too. I don’t believe I caught your name since the last time all of us managed to come across one another.” Her smile brightened for a moment as she waited, before her exotic striped head swiveled to the spotted Pegasus. “Also, Alysanne, I must thank you again for helping me with my twins, and for telling Tembovu where we were.” Her voice was soft, but truthful as she sought the emerald eyes of her friend.

"Talk."
And like the sea—
I’m constantly changing from calm to ill.
Rexanna
image | coding

its kinda bad so i apologize :| @Alysanne @Ampere
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
It wasn’t the white and spotted figure of the friend she was looking for, but Alysanne still found someone else wandering through the Deep Forest on that drizzly, Orangemoon day. A familiar face too, though she wasn’t entirely sure that the recognition was mutual. ‘Not everyone as chipper as you.’ Hemlock pointed out with no lack of delight as he weaved through the trees in another circle to check the area - noting another approaching figure as he did so.

Some would claim Alysanne had been less than her once bubbly and happy self lately but that was just what happened when stallions kept trying to screw over the home you loved.

Still, she easily found a warm smile for the familiar face. “Why Ampere, it’s good to see you again.” Her tone was soft, similar to the one the other pegasus had used. She wasn’t one to forget faces - especially not someone who had been so memorable. Whether it was down in the caves, crafting electric blue creatures, or dropping in and mentioning a sexual exploit in the Ancient Rotunda before disappearing - conversations with Ampere had not yet been boring.

Hemlock, spotting a fellow bird hidden as he was by Ampere’s wings, swooped back towards the group and hooted a friendly greeting at the little green bird as he landed on a tree branch nearby.

Before she could figure out what this particular meeting was going to be like, the golden figure Hemlock had spied joined them and Alysanne’s smile grew. Her attention was first drawn to the small polecat who rushed forward and pressed a paw against her hoof in greeting - and she lowered her head to exhale softly in her own greeting toward the small companion. Hemlock, on his branch, hooted quietly and eyed the creature. It remained to be seen whether polecats were added to the list of acceptable companion species or not.

Distracted from the polecat by Rexanna’s thanks - she smiled warmly. “Of course, Rexanna. I was happy to help and I’m glad he found you all safely.” Well no, Alysanne wasn’t glad but she could pretend to be. She wasn’t sure she knew the Basin mare well enough to share that the family Rexanna had made with Tembovu was so far the only safe, neutral subject Alysanne had with the Elephant King.

Fortunately, her smile wouldn’t falter or betray the thoughts of ‘your choice in mates is regrettable’ currently flashing through her mind.

Probably best to just change the subject. So her green eyes moved back to Ampere and she adopted a gently teasing tone. “So... any sexual exploits to share about  this location?”
If you could only understand—through my heart and through my veins
I gave it all,
I'll give again.

image | coding
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Hope the wound heals but it never does, that's cause I'm at war with love
Never let a wound ruin me, but I feel like ruin's wooing me
Ah, Ampere thought as she registered the other two with their help. So that's where I know them from. It wasn't a thought accompanied by any sort of emotion, just a factual clarity of those fuzzy memories wiggling around inside her mind.

Alysanne, she thought, the Devoted many call her now. Edge, if I remember right.
Rexanna... she was here last time, and has twins, that's all I know.

Did it matter though? It was just company, and that was enough.

As these thoughts churned in her mind, Ampere lifted her head to glance at Rexanna as she approached. Her half-dead stare was the only greeting she offered, unable to smile and unwilling to do more, and Alysanne provided her name for her.
On her back, Kygo screeched in warning at the owl that hooted; owls were mean predators for little green birds, and polecats weren't very reassuring either. Kygo did his best to bury himself further among Ampere's mane, wanting no part in any of this.

Her ears swiveled at the parrot's screeching, but otherwise ignored him, especially as he quieted down quickly. Instead she glanced between her two compatriots, tilting her head at the question posed to her.

Sexual exploits?
Ampere pondered, if only to ask herself the question. She had been to these woods on several occasions over the years; they had always proven adventurous, and not always in a good way. Here she had found the dying mother deer and been unable to keep her child from bonding to someone. Here she had earned some of her magic. Here she had found one of the many corpses he killed. Here she had watched the demi gods fight a dragon. Fucked someone though? “Not here," she replied simply, the sorrow that her entire body carried with her tinging her voice. She might normally had smiled at the query, joked at the response and suggested she ought to change that fact, but she hadn't the humor left in her.

“Probably not ever," she continued, almost ominously. “Not now." A dramatic sigh to punctuate the mood.

[x.x]
Ampere

image credits

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.