there are no men like me

Tommen Posts: 12
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.0
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 hh :: 6 yrs HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Illumia
TOMMEN
there are no men like me
*tommen has not yet lost his leg
Tommen kept a list of things he hated. This list ranged from petty little nuisances like 'flies' and 'hot sun' to actual problematic topics like 'complicated women' and, more generally, 'people'. Still, he found himself surprised when a surge of pleasure laced up his chest as he felt the cool morning air brush against his skin. It had been a long time since he had felt this kind of elation; weeks on the road with very little rest had a tendency to do that to you.

He had moved as quickly as if he'd been chased by a pack of wolves; really, the only thing chasing him had been urgency. Urgency to get away from his life, to break free of his chains. It sounded poetic when Tommen thought it, but in reality it was unpleasant and harsh, driving him further away into the world until he was properly lost, with no urge to find himself again. He had left everything behind, everything. And he felt better for it.

The list of things he hated had gotten quite a bit longer recently, leading to his overall grouchy mood. No one had ever warned him life on the road would be so...dirty. Not to mention hungry. His internal turmoil had be replaced with an external one as of late, so he wondered why he had the right to feel good that morning. He looked around, taking in the lush greenery and the bustling forest. The sky was a vague tint of grey, as if it was hesitating whether it should rain or just let the sun out again. His eyes to the grey-blue of the tumultuous heavens, Tommen came to a realization. It's so different here. He thought. It even smells different. The thought lifted him up on his spirits; not that it made much of a difference, considering that his spirits had been rock-bottom for the past few years.

Still, he couldn't help the streak of youthful vigor that passed through his body. He shook out his platinum mane, dislodging the few leaves that had tangled themselves in it during his fitful sleep. He flicked his lion's tail, cocking his head as he contemplated his path. Do I go left, or right? He felt himself smirk as he fell into a walk, doing neither of the proposed options and instead strutting forward. Out loud, he mumbled, "Screw it." It's not like it matters anyway. No matter where I go, hell'l find me. Even that thought wasn't able to ruin his mood.

The time he had spent alone had been good to him. Nothing bothered him, no one bothered him. Still, more time alone meant more time spent with his thoughts. His previous, busy lifestyle, had provided a distraction from the past. But now, he had to face it full on. Or, I can continue to ignore it. Tommen smirked. Lately, he had chosen to focus on trees and birdsong instead of letting himself get buried under the weight of his responsibilities and rather gloomy musings. This strategy worked well; with no one to remind him of the past, he felt like a new person. "I've been reinvented." He told himself sarcastically. "I can become anyone. A warrior, a prince, a whore..." Or a knight. His traitorous mind suggested. He answered with a simple huff, picking up the pace just to feel the pleasant strain of working muscles. It seemed, then, that he could not escape his past forever.

But he could damn well try.

please tag tommen.

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

The earthen mare moved easily into the threshold, a place she rarely ever went. It was only the obligatory nature of her new found role that had guided her this way in the first time. That, and the hundred unseen eyes of her Father, peering at her from every woodland beast and billow of the wind, reminding her that not for the second time in her life, she he had imposed his will upon her. Was it not enough that she had been born into this life of servitude, a slave whose sole function was to bring balance to Helovia? Apparently not, for now the jurisdiction of the Hidden Falls was hers as well. 

And so here she was, in the Threshold. A place of manditory and often awkward conversations. Of recruiting. The notion of trying to persuade anyone to live in the falls was a requirement that she wore nearly as poorly as her new title: Czarina. But call her what you liked, Isopia much preferred being known only as The Mountain that Knows. Few new her real time (which was how she liked it). What business was it of theirs, what her rank was? If her words alone could not stand on their own, what use an arbitrary monicker of power? 

At her side, a bronzey dragon glided through the trees. Hubris was much more cheerful than his bonded, and exuberantly encouraged her to enjoy this new part of her role. Wasn't she excited to meet others? Didn't she enjoy the change of pace?

No and no.

With her red cape dragging behind her, the massive mare moved deftly through the trees. Vaguely ahead she could hear a voice, and, as she got closer, could hear the end of what was likely a self-monologue. ....a prince, a whore...

"You'll find many of each of those here." She casually observed, her voice its usual academic monotone. Isopia's bright golden stare regarded the stallion with a sterile interest. "But few who are both." She concluded, almost sounding pleased at this new observed-nugget of information. 

The more polite of the two, Hubris landed upon the grass a few paces away from where Isopia stood. His bright blue eyes looked up at the stranger, and he offered a trill and a wave of his clawed hand in greeting. 

The longer the demi-goddess stood still, the more her magic acted upon her massive frame. Grasses and mosses began to grow up from the ground, wrapping themselves around her long legs, and making it seem as though she was grown from the earth itself. Which, in a way, she was. 

Isopia
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.
Image Credits

Illumia
TOMMEN
there are no men like me
Tommen was lulled to a sort of serene thoughtlessness by the rythm of his steps. He embraced the silence it forced onto him; he simply let himself bask in the blooming scents of the forest. Just as it had come upon him once more, a voice broke the silence, feminine and subtly mocking. He barely suppressed a groan. Aw, hells. A person.

He wasn't surprised he'd been discovered; he'd never been much of the sneaking, quiet type; after all, he was built like a warrior, not some kind of delicate-footed princess. Unfortunately. He thought to himself as he turns, unhurriedly, towards the source of the sound.

A bit away from him stood a magnificent winged creature, her back laden with a red cape and her face marked so that it reminded him of a skull. He cocked his head, not sure weather he should be intimidated or not. One became reckless when they spent every other day wishing something would just spring up and kill them. He cocked his head, and smirked as he realized the stranger had heard his outer monologue. "First time for everything." He quipped, wondering if he should take a step in her direction. Despite his dislike of company, he wasn't exactly opposed to it; but he knew that people around him usually ended up unhappy. It was selfish, in a way; he did not want to risk hurting others again because it would add to his roster of painful memories.

But, there was something about this woman that kept him at bay. Perhaps it was the way she regarded him with those glowing amber eyes, as if he were some wild beast under study. He remarked with some surprise that this was the first time a woman had regarded him completely without interest. He was even more startled when he was greeted by a bronze-scaled reptilian, who, unlike his companion, seemed to be curious of Tommen. Tommen only regarded the dragon with mild, thinly-veiled surprise. It wasn't often one saw dragons in his homeland, after all.

It came as a creeping realization. He began to notice that something was changing around him, something which truly surprised him for the first time. At first, he thought madness had finally reached him, but after shaking his head a few times he acknowledged that he wasn't that crazy yet. Indeed, the forest around him seemed to shift hues from green to pure emerald, and the grasses about him seemed to reach out and extend before his eyes. It was as if the forest was alive. And in the midst of their growing frenzy stood the red-caped woman, who did not seem at all startled when the eager blades of grass began to envelop her legs. Tommen, on the other hand, backed away.

He could not contain his surprise for any minute longer, despite how hard he tried to keep mask of indifference. "Seven hells, is this you?" He barked, lifting a hoof away from a weaving tendril of shrubbery. He was growing more mistrustful by the minute. Whatever was happening, it was a strong force of sorcery, and it set every inch of him on edge, though on the outside he kept his expression calm and controlled as he asked, "What are you?"

please tag tommen.

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

The demi-goddess, who rarely was pleased by the answers she received from those around her, found herself pleasantly surprised. "Well said." She offered approvingly, dipping her quad-horned skull in physical accompaniment to her tone of voice. When her golden gaze resumed itself position upon the stallion before her, the long dark lashes the encircled her eyes suddenly came together as her gaze narrowed. Mentally Hubris confirmed her surprise, and the young dragonling hopped back a few paces, giving the steed room for ... well, whatever it was causing him discomfort.

Seven hells, is this you? For a moment Isopia thought that this was offered in recognition of her, as if the man was suddenly recalling that the two had met before. Self-assured that this was not the case, Isopia stood straighter, skeptical gaze now lazily drifting over this newcomer. Perhaps the one intellectually impressive answer he had given her was all that he had to offer before he began to descend into idiocy. Perhaps -

-oh

As his steel-coloured hoof rose from the ground, Isopia's similarly did the same as she unconsciously mirrored his actions, causing the shrubbery that wound itself around her large and feathered hoof to fall off. She had forgotten that while most of Helovia knew who she was - or rather, from whose loins she owed her existence - that those in the threshold would not. And similarly, that they might not be used to the calibre of magic that Helovia boasted so uniformly and randomly.

"There are many things I can do-" She responded, her tone now bright with interest, the way an academic might suddenly do when asked about their field of research. Two rough shapes appeared behind the demi-goddess, and while both appeared to be vaguely dragon shaped, one was composed entirely of earth, the other of water. This it seemed, was the conclusion to the words she had just spoken. And, having served their purposes, the dragons fell from their places to the ground, softly soaking the earth on one side of her, and adding to it on the other.

What are you, he had asked, and Isopia, always the literalist, answered. "A female tribrid." She replied simply. "That is, I possess both equine, unicorn, and pegasus blood." She added for good measure.

Her wide golden stare continued to regard him with a sterile interest, partially curious to see if the man could right himself after asking so boring a line of questions.

Isopia
Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Illumia
TOMMEN
there are no men like me
The first glimmer of interest was shown in the dip of the red-clad woman's head and the approval he heard in her voice, as if she were surprised that he could offer some level of wit. Oh, she has no idea. He thought, finally removing his eyes from the moving earth and instead settling them on the stranger. Gold met gold; two clashes of similar coloration and yet belonging to such different people. He had never been much of an eye-reader; he didn't believe in the whole 'reading emotions from the eyes of others' nonsense. It was poetic when written, sure, but the true spectrum of feelings he could tell from others was much more limited. And yet, looking into the stranger's eyes, he felt the two of them connect, if only for a brief moment.

He could also tell the moment they disconnected. She seemed confused by his words, and he found himself jostled in return, wondering if he should leave the situation before it escalated. She mirrored his stamping motion, and Tommen wondered if she was even conscious that she had been causing the earth itself to move. How, he wondered, could someone just forget about abilities like those. If he had a power like that, he would flaunt it at every step.

Her mysterious answer made him snort sarcastically. He had begun to form a witty reply when he noticed the shapes shifting into existence behind her. The earth and water moved, weaving itself into intricate forms, both vaguely reptilian. It was clear, now, that this mare possessed some sort of incredible magic inside her. He flicked his tail in response, now considerably impressed and no longer trying to hide it. "I don't know if I should be awed or terrified." He remarked with a smirk.

At this point, he had resolved that if he was to die today, at least he would be murdered by a striking woman with a penchant for making the earth shift. He could tell stories once he reached hell; Oh, you were killed by old age? Well I was murdered by a dragon made of rocks. Then again, if he took a misstep and his new acquaintance decided to strangle him with a blade of grass, it would make for a much less entertaining story.

He resolved not to attempt to clarify his earlier, misunderstood question, lest it lead to a further loop of confusion on either of their parts. Tommen had never been of particular intelligence; his skill had been more in the sword then with knowledge. He was not surprised that his questions could be misunderstood. It was clear from her reactions, event to him, that they were people of truly different worlds. And Tommen had just entered hers.

At least I did a good job of getting truly lost. He thought. Where was he, then? Beyond the kingdoms he was familiar with for sure. Here, the magic was clearly much stronger.  He glanced around, wondering, before speaking again. "So, female tribrid," he made a point of emphasizing the last two mocking syllables, "Where are you from?" He hated himself for the hidden meaning of the question; he had spent too long meddling in his father's politics. Though he knew he sounded inquisitive, in truth he was selfishly hoping to find shelter and rest now that he had somehow stumbled upon another equine. There was only so long, after all, that he could stand sleeping outside on the dirty ground. Though, there was true curiosity behind the question; he had never been a good liar, after all. "Where are you from, that this kind of magic exists?"

please tag tommen.

If only mind reading was one of her secret talents, Isopia might have told the iron-coloured stranger that indeed she could become a dragon. Not composed of rocks, but superheating the stones around her draconian shape might help with the imagery that he had created in his mind. Alas she could not, and so she continued to wear only her red cape and pauldron, rather than donning one of the other bodies that she possessed.

I don't know if I should be awed or terrified The demi-goddess' objective, unwavering stare returned the stallion's gaze with an indifferent one, as if to say That isn't for me to decide. And it wasn't. Very rarely were Isopia's actions meant to intimidate, and just as rarely were they meant to impress.

Isopia either didn't notice, or wasn't bothered by the mocking tone (it was the latter) he used to annunciate the word tribrid, and so her response was unfettered by any sort of indication that she was offended his tone.

"I was born in these lands." She began, simply. Then, realizing that perhaps he might understand these lands as literally being the Threshold, she corrected herself. "I was born in the World's Edge, and have since relocated to the Hidden Falls." Where I shall stay until death or my father drags my body away she thought grimly. She was tethered to those hidden and hallowed woods now and forever, whether she liked it or not. "Magic runs rampant through Helovia, however." She concluded with a gentle exhale.

"If you have come to this place, and are surprised by the magic you see, then I assume you are not from here." Isopia's ever logical mind could almost be heard to click as each of these logical leaps were made inside of her brain. "You may leave this place unbound to any one herd, though many chose to join rather that remaining as an outcast. Though the rainy season has only just begun, Frostfall will soon blanket Helovia with snow, and if only for survival's sake, it is better to belong to a herd." The demigoddess paused for a moment, thinking. What information would one knew to this world need to know, in order to make an informed decision about what to do? He had no basis on which to believe anything that she had to say (though she had no reason to lie either).

"There are four prominent herds here, their lands established by the four deities who reign supreme. The World's Edge is a herd who dwells primarily in the fog-shrouded cliffs and mountains to the far east, and abide under the Goddess of the Moon. The Dragon's Throat to the South is primarily a herd of pegasi who live on an island covered with blood red sands, ruled over by the God of the Sun. The Aurora Basin, populated by Unicorns, lives far to the north in a snowy mountainscape. The God of the Spark watches over them." Isopia paused, feeling a sense of awkwardness fall over her knowing that it was now time to mention the Hidden Falls. Was it because she felt some bizarre nepotism, that she, daughter of the God who breathed those lands into life, was now, in some regard, trying to persuade this stranger of its merits? Though she wasn't, really. It wasn't nothing to her if he chose the Falls over the other three, or even if he chose a solitary life. And yet hadn't her Father just imparted the importance of growing and cultivating the Falls? Wasn't that why she had been removed from her rank as oracle and storyteller, and promoted to queen? To Czarina?

A breath. She hated obligations.

"Finally there are the Hidden Falls , just to the East of us and closest to this place. A land of dense forests and waterfalls, watched over by the God of the Earth."

Isopia
Image Credits

Illumia
TOMMEN
there are no men like me

Home. The word, once so full of passion and joy, had become a frightening concept to Tommen. Perhaps it was the long time on the road, alone, but he was fixed into a certain paranoia of remaining in one place for too long. I was born in these lands, the woman said. He wonders if she had ever wandered far away from her homeland, then. Selfishly, Tommen liked to think that he was alone, that no one else would understand the pain of abandoning everything they'd known. In a way, it made him feel more like a hero of a tragic play. It made him feel special.

But he was only being melodramatic (which was something he excelled at). In truth, Tommen had not felt pain when he left his father's court. He had not felt pain when he broke his oath to the knights he had lived amongst and fought for. It was only now that he realized why. None of those places had ever felt like a true home to him.

Because he had never belonged. Perhaps he had lived for a moment in a true 'home', but then he had not been tied to a place, but to a person. When he had traveled with that knight so long ago, he had felt as if he had found the exact place he was meant to be. That silly loyalty had left the man without a head. Life had a tendency to do that to him, but that was in the past now. Damn it. He wanted to shake his head and stomp in frustration. I wasn't suppose to think about that. About any of it. How did I end up here again? He tore himself away from the tumultuous thoughts and focused back on the events at hand.

He was slightly surprised when the woman launched into a long explanation of the lands and its citizens, as if he really cared. He had only intended to learn where she had gained her stunning abilities. He had not, however, signed up for a history lesson. Despite this, he was surprised to find himself interested. These new lands were so different to the ones he had left. A fresh start was what he needed. But there was always the cynical part of him suggested the truth: no place had ever felt like a home to him, and this would be no different.

And yet, as she mentioned the final land, the Hidden Falls, something started in him. Perhaps it was the way she spoke of the place, with what seemed like a bizarre touch of resentment and fondness in her voice. She had said she lived in the Falls, he recalled. He spoke, unsure of what his final decision would be until it left his lips."If I may, I would like to stay some time with you, in the Falls." He began carefully "I may not stay there permanently; things tend to go awry with me around." He smirked, unable to resist the final words. "Perhaps it's my good looks. They have been known to cause quite a stir" Though, he thought to himself, they failed on this woman. If her kin is anything like her, then I am lost. The prospect left him amused, and returned him to his previous good mood.

He had finally chosen a path to follow. Now that the decision was made and final, foolish optimism blossomed in his chest. Though it was a naive hope, there was always a part of him that drove him to belong. He had promised himself a new start; and a new start was what he would get, one way or another.

this post is trash i apologize

please tag tommen.

Isopia could feel her body want to clench as some of the words she hated most in the world tumbled from his lips: I would like to stay some time with you. with out. Oh he followed it up immediately with, in the falls, and the rational part of her mind assumed with strong certainty that he only meant with you in so far as she was his way back to the lands. She had demonstrated some semblance of authority and confidence, and so surely had positioned herself as the one to be with if he wished to make a home in the Hidden Falls.

Still, even the threat of the most minor prolonged encounters with others made her skin want to crawl.

She just wasn't a people person.

...things tend to go awry with me around. Perhaps it's my good looks. They have been known to cause quite a stir

Isopia's golden stare regarded him without amusement. Other mares might have playfully batted their lashes, or offered some quip about being able to handle both his good looks and his mischief, but Isopia was not most mares. She was the Mountain that Knows, the demi-goddess born with a mind so large it crowded away her heart leaving little to no room for emotions. And so, with eyes which may have been beautiful, which may have fluttered and bat at the stallion had they belonged to another mare, instead remained fixed and distant. 

"Time will tell." She replied nonchelantly, and turned towards the ring of trees from where she had come. Rolling his eyes, the bronzey dragon trilled a whistle of apology, and followed Isopia. "Come. The walk is not far, and if we don't delay, we'll make it back to the Falls before nightfall."

[I can make a "welcome to the Falls" post for him if you want, but we're going ot have a herd meeting right away, so maybe that's an easier one to join?]

Isopia
Image Credits

Illumia
TOMMEN
there are no men like me
"Maybe it will." Tommen turned to follow his new acquaintance, glad to be moving again. He caught the eye of the woman's bronze dragon, who gave him what he assumed to be an apologetic glance. Tommen returned the look with a shrug and a smirk, finding himself liking the dragon more then its earth-toned companion. He was not surprised at the way she had brushed off his joking vanity; in fact, he had expected it. Still, she is a fascinating woman, he thought, watching the red-cloaked pegasus take the lead before him. She may not be the kind you flirt with, but she seems to be the kind you can trust.

They entered back into the denser forest, and the thick emerald canopy closed above them, surrounding them with the sounds of the forest. It was then that Tommen realized he was following a complete stranger. Apparently, weeks on the road can truly turn a man savage. He ducked his head under a branch and sped up the pace so that he was walking beside his newfound companion. "All this talk about my good looks, I forgot to mention my horrible manners." Perhaps he was pushing it with the self-praising quips, but he never had been able to help it. Besides, it was amusing to watch them flit right over his acquaintance's head. "Forgive me. My name is Tommen." He introduced himself, almost hesitant when he pronounced his name. He'd been alone for so long that the name felt like a stranger to his lips.

He did not expect a name from his companion in return; so far, she had proven to be more introverted then he. Though she had shared information about the lands, he had suspected there was a sense of duty attached to the introduction. She wouldn't make much of a travel companion, unless he resolved to get her seriously drunk. The stern silence was a part of her grandiose appearance, he supposed. If he was to judge this new land by its inhabitants, then he was sure this was a strange land indeed, and he was stepping further and further into it. Some foolish, childish part of him found the rights to be excited about this prospect. It was the same part of him that kept his footsteps lively upon the forest floor as he journeyed towards the unknown.

i can wait for the herd meeting c: i think it'll be easier that way

please tag tommen.