[OPEN] You be you and I'll be me

Iskra Posts: 79
Dragon's Throat Colt
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17 :: 1 year
Castiel :: Royal Humpback Leviathan :: Tidal Wave Blu

SPARKS WILL FLY, THEY IGNITE OUR BONES
WHEN THEY STRIKE, WE LIGHT UP THE
WORLD

Although he wasn't usually far from his mother's side, there were times when even he got that itch to explore or run regardless of what she was doing. Now was one of those times.

He left her to nap in the autumn sun, not tired or patient enough to doze alongside her. Though, even as he sprinted down the sand dunes, kicking up his heels if only to feel the spray of the sand as it flicked up against his fetlocks, he made sure he did not stray too far. He pulled up suddenly, his flanks heaving his breath came short and fast after the run. He glance over, reassuring himself she was still there in the distance, then turned suddenly, his head rolling along his neck and setting his baby-mohawk to wobble back and forth. He released a loud and impressive (not) snort suddenly, kicking out with a forelimb into the sand, awed by the affect he had on the world as the red grit sailed away. He carved his mark into the dune, a trench existing where one hadn't before, because of him.

Content and rested Iskra suddenly shied to the side and took off down the other side of the dry wave, pumping his wings this time, sparks trailing behind him like a comet, lightning and flame particles rolling off the underside of his primaries and drifting in a frantic flurry among his speed's wind before eventually dissolving entirely. He wasn't nearly strong enough to fly yet, but running as fast as he could with the breeze pressing along either side of his outstretched wings felt like it.

As he heaved himself up another hill, Iskra paused for his cursory glance towards Ampere's blue and black shape on the horizon. Confirming that she was still there (if he didn't check he was truthfully afraid she would just leave without him), he continued on at a steady walk, balancing along the thin crest of the rocky slope. As he walked he whistled a tune his mother sung in the moments when she seemed least sad, the times when she was most liable to engage with him and tell him things, like stories about the world or his dad. Those were good times, and feeling good now, the song came upon him without contest.

Behind him sand begin to lift and whirl around, even though no wind stirred.
I S K R A

@Mathèo

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Mathèo Posts: 65
Dragon's Throat Colt
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2 :: 3 seasons
Delphi :: Common Rougarou :: Flame Odd

Perhaps someone smarter than Thèo would muse that the reason the boy always acted as if someone was watching him (and so he adjusted his actions accordingly), was because there was constantly a spotlight upon him. Despite the diffused lighting of the autumn afternoon, a column of light seemed to filter down towards the ashen boy, highliting him at all times. Sunlight glistened brightly off of the boy, whose curiosity had pulled him out towards the reddish dunes. That was when he caught sight of Isrka.

Thèo only knew that the sparking-bayish creature was Ampere's son, and little else. He didn't know much about the electric mare, despite his own mother's communal attitude when it came to child-rearing. Already Thèo knew many in the herd, for he had gone to them for guidance and to answer his questions, the way regular children would go to their own parents. Aithniel was around, but already Thèo had understood that blood was not the only tether that made you family. Like his Father, the pale tribrid considered the entire Dragon's Throat to be his extended kin. 

So despite the fact that Thèo didn't know much about Ampere (she had her own child to raise, after all), or Iskra, he bounded happily towards the other colt, without trepidation or fear. 

"M'ath!" He called, his young voice singing across the sands. M'ath was a word he had picked up from his older siblings, a word that he had been told meant hello in the language of his Father. Knowing this pleased the boy both as a budding scholar, but also as a romantic. Speaking the same words that his Father would have used made the boy feel closer to his departed sire. He could tell himself that the light from the sky was Gaucho looking down upon him - perhaps even with his grandsire, the God of the Sun himself, in tow - but there was no way of knowing whether that was true. At least with Gaucho's language, barbaric and foreign in his young mouth as it might be, it felt like a real connection.

"I'm Mathèo. You're Iskra, right?" An easy, boyish smile wafted across his face.

mathèo
When the white flag sails, covered in streaks of blood
There'll be an endless sea, of us rising up.
Image Credits

@Iskra

Dragon's Throat Colt

WORLD

The sound of the other's voice sent a thrill up Iskra's spine that set his feathers briefly on edge and caused his heart to race even faster, if that was possible after all his physical exertion. Startled, but trying not to act like it, he whirled around quickly, the sand behind him dropping suddenly as he did so.

The response flushed away at once, because there was nothing really scary, just, he didn't think anyone else was around, and well, M'ath wasn't a word that meant anything to him so it sort of sounded like this strange gibberish and strange things are always prone to instill caution. The moment he could put a face to the source he calmed however, and a broad grin easily found a place on his muzzle as he recognized a foal around his age was nearing him.

"H-hi!" Iskra responded eagerly, his posture tall as he leaned up to watch the boy coming up the dune towards him. Although he spent a lot of time in the herd with his mom, she didn't really interact much with the others, and when she did she never really included him; she was just his shadow, a presence she ignored unless he needed something or she was in a really good mood. So Iskra was a bit more secluded than his heart may have preferred, a fact that was punctuated further when this fellow colt knew him, but Iskra could honestly not place him in his memories. Maybe in passing he'd seen him, but never met him, never knew of him, never knew anything but her.

"Y-yeah," he replied, obviously in awe of this colt's knowledge. He nodded, as if his words weren't enough, then awkwardly regarded the stranger with open interest and gawking. Being hidden away as he was, he was a bit under socialized. Playing games with himself was one thing, but how do you play with someone else? How do you even talk to someone else? What if he sounded dumb? What if he said the wrong thing and the other boy laughed at him? What if the other boy was mean?

Yet, even if Iskra worried, he was not daunted, because if the unknown was scary that just meant you had to make ti known. Being alone didn't mean he feared company, he just wasn't sure how to go about it, but he was thrilled to jump in and learn. Thusly he happily exclaimed, "You look really cool!" His grin broadened, if that was possible, what few teeth had started to emerge poking out like little nuggets beneath his dark lips. "You look like the cloudy day, except you're also bright and shiny, like the sun! It's neat."
I S K R A

Dragon's Throat Colt

Thèo, not yet jaded by the world, wore an easy, albeit lop-sided grin, as he waited for Iskra to say more. He was patient, and the curiosity and youthful good humour did not diminish on his ashen features as Iskra sorted through his insecurities. 

Having his magic commented on made Thèo's insides warm with pride. Despite the impossibility of knowing whether or not the magic had anything to do with Gaucho or the God of the Sun, Thèo would continue to think that it did, for as long as the world would let him. The colt drew himself up to his full height, trying to stand tall in the sparkly sunlight that fell around him. He had been holding his breath to puff his chest up even wider, but as stars danced before his green eyes, he finally had to release it. "Thanks!" He wheezed, the word riding out of his mouth on a long exhaled breath. That boyish smile returned to his face as he managed to resume breathing normally. 

<- I can do this too- -> Thèo thought in Iskra's direction, but hadn't actually intended on using this telepathic magic. He had literally only meant to think the words, not necessarily think them at him. But he was so caught up in readying the actual magic he wanted to show off, that he harder noticed. Closing his eyes, he concentrated really really hard. As he did so, an eagle composed of fire suddenly appeared before him. The bird screamed noiselessly, fire-bright eyes looking at the two colts. Then, as Thèo's eyes reopened, the bird was directed higher into the sky, where it circled over head for a few rotations before slowly fading away. 

While this was happening, Thèo had begun to pant slightly, for using his magic was quite taxing on his small body. His lips parted in a grin again. "Cool right? My mother said my Father could do that too." The smile wavered only slightly as Thèo's gaze scanned the sky where the eagle had been. Speaking of his Father always made him feel empty inside, almost as if he was trying to be nostalgic for something he had never experienced before. 

mathèo
Image Credits

@Iskra

Dragon's Throat Colt

WORLD

The fact that he'd entertained any fears about this colt now seemed laughable as Theo matched him stride for stride with warm smiles and easy laughs. It was an odd sensation, this general happiness, but it was one Iskra found himself easily falling into, the ooey gooey feeling that it generated inside his chest melting off whatever cold and dark cobwebs had begun to nestle beneath Ampere's vacant watch. For the first time in ever, Iskra felt like maybe he had a friend, and that was a damn good feeling.

It may have been a bit soon to go slapping around labels like that; a brand that suggests loyalty and longevity. Perhaps its his youth, or just his general eagerness to maintain these warm fuzzies, but he isn't shy of thinking along those lines. Yeah, a friend seemed great, and if it was important then he'd hold onto it, because why would he ever let something as good as this go?

These thoughts were brief and mostly un-thought in the sense that Iskra was not articulating any of this on the surface level. His upfront internal dialogue was simply, wow that's cool! Deeper, in the parts of him that his dreams touched and his reactions to the world birthed from, he regarded Theo more expansively. Yet even those depths quieted, or rather were disturbed, as Iskra's entire focus was absorbed instead by the echo rebounding inside of him, the space where only his voice normally was (and maybe a touch of his mom's whenever he remembered something particularly strong).

So he jumped, because well, it was startling again, but not in the appearedoutofnowhere kind of way, more like the didyoujustinvademymostinnerspace kind of way. Except, Iskra didn't mind, he just didn't know there'd be someone in his mind. The emergence of Theo's touch, a gentle brush, like the warmth of the autumn sun on your back in midday, left a poignant absence in its wake. It was oddly lonely.

"Whoa!" Iskra exclaimed amid his internal reeling, and all at once every feather on his body fluffed up onto its end, including the crest feathers behind his ears and the set along his rump. Like a ghost passing over you and causing chicken skin, so it was that Iskra shivered in the departure of Theo's mindful touch.

Then.

"WHOA!" because there was a bird, and it was on fire, or more accurately Iskra realized, was made of fire. Entranced, Iskra watched it as it rose, shuffling underneath it, his baby wings flexing as though desiring to join its ascension - he wanted to know more about it, to watch it, maybe touch it (did it hurt?), but it was gone, and he was grounded.

At the boy's voice Iskra's oceanic gaze drifted back down, regarding the other colt with an unmasked awe. A smile so big it stretched up into his eyes lit up Iskra's face as he enthusiastically exclaimed, "THAT'S AWESOME!" He had drifted closer to the sunlit foal as he'd tracked the bird, and he know reached out with a casual comfort to bump his nose in good nature against Theo's shoulder, much like the way he and his mom would bump each other for comfort, affection found within that physical reassurance when words wouldn't. "Yur really strong arentchu!? I don't think I can do any of that, but maybe someday- my wings have sparks but that's about it." His wings stretched out from either side of him, and he glanced at them, as if to reassure himself that the embers and electricity were still present, drifting like little erratic dust motes, undulating from beneath his feathers and then rolling off and dissipating in glowing trails.

"Don't worry,"he reassured Theo as he slung his gaze back to him. "They don't hurt like my mom's, but they don't go away either." As he mentioned his mom it seemed to trigger a reminder and abruptly his head twisted, his teal stare pouring over the dune with a certain unrest until he finally spotted her shape still napping in the distance. He visibly relaxed after a moment of tension, his wings reshuffled against his sides. "She's over there, my mom. She can make lightning animals! I don't know what my dad did though...he's dead."

All to easily Iskra slumped back into that depressive wake that Ampere carried him in. He had never met the man, but if his mother's attitude was anything to guide him, the loss of his father was something terrible, and his body hung limp in trained response.
I S K R A

Dragon's Throat Colt

Because Thèo's unintentional use of magic came in such close succession to his intentional use of magic, he was unaware that Iskra's first whoa! was actually directed towards his invading mental speech.

Thèo was by no means a show-off, or at least, he didn't necessarily use his magic to incite amazement and awe in others, that would be translated into some sort of praise for himself. For him, it was as though he was sharing information, showing others what he was capable of, in the hope that it would eventually be useful for them.

The pale child returned Iskra's bump by extending an ashen wing in his direction, running his feathers over the boy's smooth colt-fuzz covered flank. It made him smile, for similiar sentiments as Iskra was feeling. A sense of camaraderie, of friendship. Boys could be easy friends, he was quickly learning. All it took was one shared interest: a love of running, or a unison muttering of cool upon seeing something neat, for example, to inspire sentiments of life-long friendship. Perhaps one day the boys would look back and never really know what brought them together. Adults on the other hand seemed to need a catalyst to become friends. But boys? Boys just needed each other.

Thèo merely shrugged off Iskra's comment about his strength, directing his pale green gaze to the boy's wings instead.  "So cool." He offered, watching the way pinpricks of light grew and fell from Iskra's wings. The magic that fell upon his body was, static - but clearly not in the same way Iskra's was. The light that fell from the sky was almost always constant. Oh sure, it intensified sometimes making him look like he was covered in glitter, but for the most part, he was just sunlit. It wasn't anywhere near as dramatic or interested as what was happening on his new friend's wings.  "It reminds me of the feeling I get in my legs, when I lay on them funny." He said without thinking. Then, realizing what a funny comparison that was, burst out laughing.

Thèo's laughter quickly died away, and his face contorted into something that looked sombre (though for such a young boy, who hadn't really experienced the hardships of the world yet, it was a weak approximation at best).  "Yeah.." He agreed, thinking of his own Mother. She ... he had seen ash fall from her wings, but he'd never really seen her use her magic before. He knew that she had some, he just wasn't sure entirely what it was. And then, with something like actual sadness, and continued,  "My Father's dead too. He died just a few weeks before I was born." Thèo's lips pitched sideways, making a comical :/ . He knew he should feel sad (and he did), but he also knew that he had just made a friend, and sort of wanted to start playing.

mathèo
Image Credits

@Iskra

Dragon's Throat Colt

WORLD

The sound of Theo's laughter was much more enticing than talk of dead fathers they never knew. Though, Iskra was mindful of the fact it was supposed to be sad, and so he made to brush his spark-dusted wing just barely against Theo, a gentle reminder that it's alright. "We got our moms," he suggested both factually and kindly. "And each other," he affirmed with greater certainty, a broad and messy grin sealing it.

Then, with an ease afforded to them only in this rare pocket of time where youth nestled them from the hardest parts of the world, Iskra moved on from death as if it were as inconsequential as blinking. He couldn't grieve for someone he never knew, though he did lament the resounding effect it had on not just his mother, but now Theo too. Iskra did perceive that the colt didn't seem particularly crushed, but he also wanted to steer them back towards that warm happiness they'd just had.

"So how'daya do it?" Iskra asked suddenly, his gaze narrowing as he squinted at the golden glow that rippled off the cloudy coat. "Magic," he clarified, his stare lifting from the colt's hide to his vibrant gaze, its jade hue amplified by the otherwise earthy and monochrome color palette that Theo sported. "Do you say something?" he asked with a tilt of his head, tail wriggling anxiously behind his rump. If it was like language, that'd make sense why he hadn't really made any magic yet; words took time to learn and say, so he could settle with needing to learn his magic too (even though Theo already knew it bunches...). "Or is it a feeling," Iskra hesitated, his face scrunched up a bit as he clearly struggled to think of how to explain it. "Yannow, like in here," and Iskra's wings reached around to brush against his own chest, where he supposed his heart was, or his soul, or both, or something magical and powerful.

The fact he may just not even have magic didn't cross his mind. He knew so many that did it seemed normal, plus his mom did, and he kinda did already.

"Cuz I haven't been able to figure it out," he admitted, though was clearly ashamed as he couldn't bring himself to look at Theo after he said it, and his posture had tucked in on itself slightly, his feet pigeon toeing and his pride in his so cool wings a moment ago deflating under the truth of the matter. They did their own thing, but he wanted to do a thing too.

"I'm faster than anyone alive though," he reassured suddenly, peeking bashfully up at Theo as he openly boasted. "I beat my mom all the time, doya think that's my magic?" His voice rose a bit and wavered with the question, inflated with renewed hope.
I S K R A

Dragon's Throat Colt

Comfort was not something he received often. Not from his mother, nor from his twin. And so as Iskra's, no, his new friend's wing brushed against his side, Thèo allowed an unabashed sigh to escape his lips. His head bobbed almost routinely as Iskra mentioned having their mothers (he knew what the boy meant, but he also knew that his mother's style of parenting meant that the closeness that others experienced with their dams simply didn't exist for him), however it abruptly stopped as the words each other rang in his ears.

YEAH! He wanted to suddenly exclaim, but didn't. Bashfulness wasn't something Thèo experienced often, but despite the easy friendship that had seemingly settled around the boys, something told Thèo it could be broken at this stage just as easily. Instead, he matched the grin on Iskra's brown lips with a lopsided one of his own, allowing the sparkle in his eyes to confirm the boy's sentiment.

The sunlit colt was as happy with the change of topic as Iskra seemed to be, though he wished it was one that he had a ready answer to. "Well.." He began, sounding uncertain, "I mean, this," (he paused, shaking his own wings slightly to indicate the pillar of glowy light that fell around him), "just happens. Sometimes it gets brighter, but I can't control it."

But the other thing? Again, without realizing that he had, the latter part of his thought (<-  other thing<- ) was voiced unintentionally towards Iskra's mind. "I just focus on what I want to appear and it's like ... it's like moving the end of my tail, only it's deep inside." The end of Thèo's heavily braided leonine tail twitched in response. It was like having an appendage that was hard to see, and being able to move it. Like raising only one eye brow, or something.

As Iskra mentioned his speed, Thèo immediately brightened. "I bet it is! Want to race? You can show me!" Then, with an easy grin, the boy's shoulder sort of slumped lower, meaning to nudge against Iskra. "I don't mind if you win!" He added quickly. No one liked to race a sore loser, after all.

mathèo
Image Credits

@Iskra

Dragon's Throat Colt

WORLD

It didn't matter the age difference between them (days), the fact that Theo had any semblance of control over his magic automatically made him an expert in Iskra's mind. What made him great though, was that he was willing to share this expertise, and that he didn't laugh at the rookie status of those around him.

Mom never told him when he asked.

So it didn't matter when Theo said things like "just happens" or "can't control it," because they were overshadowed by the spectacular displays that he made happen, that he could control. Again Iskra felt that intimate invasion of Theo inside his mind, words gently stoking against his thoughts the way his wing had drifted across the boy's shoulder. All at once Iskra's feathers prickled on their ends again, and his nostrils flared as he breathed "Whoa."

The feeling ghosted away as quickly as it came, and as Iskra's feathers relaxed, he involuntarily shuddered at the abrupt absence of the presence that had kissed his consciousness. He wasn't sure if he could do it back, but Iskra took his friend's words to heart and concentrated real hard on the words "did it werk?". His 'brows furrowed with the focus, and maybe even a bead of sweat or two started to appear on the edges of his eyes or around his ears. Behind him, unseen, the sand began to stir faintly once again. Little granules, as if caught in a breeze which didn't pass over the boys, lifted from the rest of the ground and swirled in the air behind Iskra.

"Well?" iskra asked suddenly, the sand dropping at the crack of his voice, the easy smile having replaced the serious line that had traced its way from his eyes to his lips. "Did it?" he asked slyly, clearly referring to the question he'd directed into Theo's mind. "It felt like it," he confessed with an exaggerated pant, his tongue lolling from his mouth to accentuate his point.

Another pause then, a quick recovery from his 'winded' state as he drew himself up to a greater height. A gleam of mischief caught the corner of his teal eye as his head turned faintly to the side, stare never breaking from the emerald gaze of his firefly. "You're it!" he attempted to blast into his friend's mind with an abrupt confidence in his abilities, not even having waited to hear if his first attempt had worked. He blinked afterwards, and then he was, gone.

Like a crack of lightning (or so it seemed to him anyway), he spun on his haunches and fired off from the spot, sand kicked up in his place and then some as the magic carried it higher than his hooves. Little legs pulled out at the air and caught the sand instead, pulling it under him with greed. Iskra was running full bolt, but he risked his balance to shoot a look back over his shoulder, his grin flashing just above the downy feathers of his baby wings tucked in tight against his sides.
I S K R A

Dragon's Throat Colt

Theo stared back at Iskra, wondering if he'd done something to upset his new friend. He was okay with prolonged silences but this seemed ... This didn't just seem like a silence, it seemed like Iskra was actively doing something. Though what that something was, the boy didn't know. One day he would, when his magic had been upgraded and he could hear the thoughts of those around him should they want him to, but for now, all he could discern were the lines of concentration wrinkling Iskra's face. Just as he was about to interrupt ... whatever it was Iskra was doing, Theo noticed something. It was just above the tip of Iskra's ear. A shine. Moving his head slightly to the side to see behind his friend's body, he saw a swirling of sands moving. These sorts of sand-tornado-shapes were common enough in the Throat ... only there was no wind.

With eyes bright  and full of excitement and happiness, Theo looked back to Iskra, nodding enthusiastically to his question, allowing the magical misunderstanding between the two to continue. "I thought you said you didn't know how!" The sunlit boy gushed with an admirable smile. 

That smile turned to a frown as Iskra suddenly took off. Theo had suggested they race but...for a moment, uncertainty gripped him and he thought maybe now that Iskra knew how to use his magic, he wanted to leave. Maybe he had someone else to show?

The boy's green eyes followed the retreating form of his friend (?), still feeling a twinge of pride and happiness for him, as the sand behind his hooves splashed outwards like some sort of exaggerated sand wave. Theo didn't know what usefulness Iskra's magic had, but it sure did look cool. As the first needles of sadness began to sink in, Theo saw Iskra turn around and shoot him possibly the sunniest smile he'd ever received. 

Immediately his heart was illuminated, and his hooves pulled at the sands, carrying the slender child towards where his friend had already raced off too.

<-  why did I ever doubt you <- Theo thought towards Iskra, though given how far his friend was ahead of him (he was fast) it was entirely possible that this unintentional communication went unheard. 

"Hey! Wai-" Theo gasped for air, clearly unable to catch his half-brother. "-you are fa-' Theo's wings shot from his sides, using the downy baby feathers to help slow himself, for his legs felt like jello and threatened to merely collapse under him if he asked them to do anything else. "-fast" he conclude, panting rapidly, but grinning wildly. 

mathèo
Image Credits

@Iskra

Dragon's Throat Colt

WORLD

For a moment Iskra faltered as he ran, his shoulder-side glance revealing that Theo was still standing there. Iskra thought he was fast, but he didn't think he was that fast (and he was actually only fast because his mom was slow, the only match he'd had thus far). For just a heartbeat he hesitated, his grin sliding off like cheese starting to melt, as he blinked back at the motionless boy. Yet by the next thrum in his chest the sun and cloud dappled colt was on the move, and just as quickly Iskra regrouped his smile and his speed. So their chase continued across the fields of gold, sand kicked up like loose dragon scales and laughter spun easily on the seaward breezes that rolled like a refreshing breath across the arid land; until they were dark with sweat and muscles spent.

As the boy of light at his side began to falter and pull up, Iskra too slowed in turn, loping with a tired and sloppy stride in a tight curve back around to face his friend. His own nostrils flared hungrily, his flanks heaving up and down and his features still smiling, but somehow less exuberant, telling of the energy they'd exhausted. With their youth though, a quick nap and they'd be back to bouncing in no time, the curse of mothers everywhere.

"You kept up better than mom!" Iskra declared breathlessly and pleasantly as he ambled back to Theo, pausing abruptly with an outstretched leg to rub the sweat dripping itches down his 'brow. As his head lifted back up Iskra shook his entire body vigorously, stumbling as he did so, thrown off balance by his own gusto. Instinctively his wings, however downy still, leaned out to lend him aid. "Want to cool off at the Oasis?" he proffered, suddenly acutely aware of how hot the sun felt upon his tired body, careless now of Ampere's location as he lost himself to this boy and the happiness he exuded as easily as he breathed.

Was this how it was supposed to be? Was this, the actual normal?
I S K R A

Dragon's Throat Colt

A smile that was more of lopsided line than a U shape found its way to the boy's lips, in response to Iskra's compliment. Deep inside he thought that what his friend said might not be entirely true - or, if it was true, it probably had more to do with Ampere letting him win. Iskra was fast, no doubt about that, but until his legs grew a little longer, there was untapped speed there; speed an adult like his Mom would have access to.

Either way, delight coloured his eyes and he grinned his appreciation.

As Iskra's head dipped to rub on his legs, Thèo frowned for a second watching. One of the most noticeable differences between the boys was that Thèo had horns, and Iskra did not. Despite the sweat running down from his ears to his eyes, it wasn't quite as easy for Thèo to scratch and relieve himself the way Iskra was. -> Why don't you have horns?<- Thèo inadvertently thought towards Iskra, as he lowered his own skull in an awkward reflection of Iskra's itching.

"That sounds great! But maybe we could walk?" The question was followed by a bit of a wince from Thèo. He didn't want to seem like a wimp, but he was still tired. He hoped Iskra would understand. As the fastest boy in all of the Dragon's Throat, surely he had to walk sometime. Especially since not even his Mom could keep up with him.

Allegedly.

All of this Thèo thought with a smile, heading off in the direction of the Oasis.

mathèo
Image Credits

@Iskra

Dragon's Throat Colt

WORLD

The gentle rapping of Theo's voice against his consciousness was starting to become familiar, the intrusion less accosting, and the absence less arresting, as Iskra had faith it would return eventually to resume that snug caress it always brought. The key word, starting, ought not to be forgotten, because Iskra was by no means accustomed to the flickers of the sunshine upon his mind, not in the way he was used to it upon his back, but he at least was no longer startled by it.

Still, his feathers prickled a little bit in response, that brush of power an inevitable tingle through his body. "I dunno," Iskra responded casually as he lifted his head, his tone seeming to shrug while his gaze swept up to settle curiously upon Theo. "My dad had some antlers, but my mom is blue, and I ain't got either." He didn't know enough to understand that Gaucho's accessory was exactly that- Iskra would have never been born with horns, and he was comfortable with that. It was hard to miss something you never had, but he could also guess that the point of horns (haha) was to inflict pain, and so Iskra had no interest in them regardless. "Are they heavy?" he asked, tilting his head somewhat. Just because he didn't want any, didn't mean he wasn't curious.

Of course he had no idea his answer might be surprising, having all this time believe that Theo intentionally was speaking into his mind. If he wasn't so tired he might have attempted to talk back again in that manner, but concentrating was hard and Iskra was tired enough as it was. He supposed only Theo's experience and mastery of magic afforded him the ability to keep using it, even now, though he did wonder why the boy didn't just ask him outright. He'd shown off already, hadn't he? Antlers weren't exactly secretive, the only other purpose Iskra could think of for not saying something aloud.

Unless, did Theo want to instill that feather-ruffling, spine-tingling, warm touch and cold absence inside of Iskra?

He might have dwelled on it further if not for the laugh that bubbled from his throat at the angel's request, murmured with a clear defeat that swelled inside Iskra with a harmless victory. "Let's walk," he agreed, "but maybe a swim when we get there?"
I S K R A

AND LO AND BEHOLD ALL OF BLU AND ODD'S CHARACTERS MEET BY SWIMMING IN THE OASIS