the Rift

[DROP] it's harvest time!! [Common SS]

Macaria Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17 hh :: Three Years [Birdsong]
Psilo

It all happens so quickly. It's on her way out, after that first exciting harvest is made, that she's set upon by a cloud of hollering blue-jays. They snatch her leaf so fast that all she can see once it's ripped from her mouth is a far off bird butt (leaf hanging from his mouth) and then, as if to summarize, the tree's booming voice adds to the chaos. As the tree briefly explains the scenario begins to unfold, right on cue, the animals turn on the group of equines. Everyone scrambles, this chief badger lays his commands and it's one group against another. Her leaf is gone, the others are robbed as well – they're taken by complete and utter surprise. Macaria has been faced with much worse in the name of magic in her short life, a banshee to be exact, so a band of angry critters against all of them doesn't feel all that dismal when she takes a second to think about it.

The heat from the pale stallion's fiery trees licks at her white plumed tail (she snaps out of deep thought) and she coils it tightly against her hip before spinning around to take her position somewhere between the dark unicorn [Erebos] and his controlling magic and the winged woman flinging sticks [Lyanna]. She bristles her coat and straightens her posture, standing at her full height. Her dapples ignite and the fire-flecks spread madly across her coat. They snap and crack, sizzling and spiraling to rest and eventually die in the leaves at her feet. Her tail unfurls to whip wildly behind her, the pearly white hairs of it's long haired tip tapping off the ground every few swats. She steps forward to avoid burning her neighbors, pointing her glimmering horn toward a snarling, snorting porcupine.

Git!” She shouts this with all the authority she can muster – the youth in her shaky new voice is all too evident. It breaks with a little stress laced all through it, but she makes up for it with a few digs with her forefoot. This brand of pressure is new in her seedling of an adult life so far. She follows the closest critter's movements with the aim of her dandelion-yellow horn, it's frosty glaze catching the sunlight perfectly; as if to warn her potential opponents.

Normally she is peaceful, a pacifist at all costs, and never would she harm a creature over what few nuts she's collected for this tree. For all she knows it could be some sort of trick. A trick to assault the woodland occupants for some other gain. She would not betray that to them though, to the hoarding 'thieves' rallying this way and that. She remains defensive, aggressive in body language, lunging and blowing loud snorts at the darting fur-balls.

Macaria

Your words in my memory
Are like music to me
(picture by smithers)

Virga Posts: 42
Absent Abyss
Colt :: Tribrid :: Growing :: yearling
kae

If things were weird before, you don't even have a word for the shit going down right now. A moment ago, you were pretty sure you'd done a good job helping everyone else gather food for the pine tree's animal friends. It kind of sucked, because you were all sticky, but pride was a cleansing glow in your chest. You were helping, right? Your family would be proud. So caught up thinking about that, lingering in the clearing for some sort of word about the progress you were all making, you were caught by surprise when that deep voice boomed out again. It shook the earth under your feet, you're sure of it. And now —

Now you're under direct attack. At first, the howling, snarling horde of animals is just a sensation. It's a wave of sound, peculiarity of your brain, and you don't react as quickly as some of the others. Your dark eyes sweep across the clearing, taking in squirrels, chipmunks, some burning fucking trees

Oh,, says something in your head. Run!

Muscles tremor in your body at the same moment one of the attackers, the one at the very front of the pack, hisses at you and your preciously won cluster of berries. You've never seen a creature like this before; in all the mayhem you see fur, glittering teeth, angry little black eyes. You don't know what kind of reputation badgers have; you only know this thing is smaller than you, stupider than you, and way more of an asshole than you. Your ears flick back instinctively and your wings flap as you drum your forehooves at the creature. All the adrenaline burning up in your blood, preparing to run, demands an outlet. So... "AUGH!!" You just sort of... scream.

Then you charge.

"Ask FIRST!" your mouth is yelling as your body hurtles forward, tiny front hooves leading. They stab angrily at the earth and hopefully at the badger, too, though there's no real intent hiding anywhere in your body to cause damage. You've never in your life hurt anything; you don't even realize, anywhere in your frenzied mind, that you might be able to do that. So you just move, stomping your feet and flapping your wings and loud, hoping to scare the creature off, maybe to kick some manners into its stupid, ugly face. You forget about the others. You still aren't very good at keeping track of more than one thing.

Virga
silver horses chased down moonbeams in your dark eyes

image credits

Freaks out a little, tries to scare the badger and whatever else is nearby away by stomping at it and yelling. Seeking a rougarou. No prior refusals.

Sabre Posts: 21
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 3 years
Cutlass :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Reli
sabre
“Like I said, I’m your brother.”

I can’t help but tighten the line of my lips at the obvious fact, my head still rioting with the idea that there could be anyone else other than Kid. This young, ember-bellied buffoon (if he had told me his name, it’s already slipped from my mind) might just be tied to me by blood, but what has he done to earn the right of being family? Blood only runs so deep in my opinion. Sure, it might be the last, fortifying knot in the threads of a relationship, but it certainly isn’t everything (but Kid is my everything—I need to find him, I need to feel him again; I need him).

I huff an exhale from my nostrils when the boy mentions ‘the Throat,’ yellow eyes narrowing for half a second while a string of thoughts run through my mind. When he had found me in the Threshold, I think Volterra had mentioned something about a Throat. Maybe it does mean something. However, the possibility of brother living in a herd is pretty bizarre to me. Ma had always taught us about their corruption and their folly and their uselessness, ever infested with the ghastly mutants that ravage Helovia. All the same, I’m willing to try just about anything at this point (including halfway trusting the word of a hybrid).

The messy length of my tail whips once around my hips as I nod to myself, a sneer of amusement creeping over my lips when the beautiful one—Astarot, I learn—chimes in with his own opinion. “You’re not wrong,” I snicker, flaunting arrogance in my voice. I’m what you would call an open book. There’s too much effort in trying to hide your feelings—and besides, it’s much more fun to shove them in people’s faces!

“THIEVES!”

The tree’s syrupy voice booms unexpectedly through my bones, and I jump, pinning my ears as my lips twist into a snarl. Suddenly we aren’t alone—suddenly we’re attacked. There are dozens of little critters swarming the stumps that the tree-thing had created, numerous tiny hands and greedy paws snatching the food that the rest of us had already gathered. “Oh hell no!” I snap with all the attitude of a moody teenager, already gunning for a fight. Leaping into a half-rear, I lunge towards the nearest little pest, slamming my body down as forcefully as I can manage; at the same time that my hooves smash to the ground, a wall of vines erupts on either side of me.

The thorny vines writhe into the air, trembling furiously before reaching for the horde of varmints. Some snap at the air, while others lunge downwards, all mirroring the ferocity that flares in my eyes. I cackle with a dangerous glee, reveling at the fear in the little animals’ eyes, and fueled by the boldness in others. The last thing I expect is for the ember-bellied colt to burst into a dragon. My eyes grow wide with wonder at the site, promptly deciding that I like my brother much, much better this way. “Scamper away, varmints!” I crow with renewed vigor, lunging at the little pests again.

notes; Uses her magic to build a wall of thorny vines, which aim to attack the critters, and she lunges at them too. Interacts with @Astarot and @Tyrath
“Speech.”
Seeking a dragon with either fire breath or shock breath! (I can't decide at this moment ;-;)
No prior refusals.
Light the fuse and burn it up
take the path that leads to nowhere.

image credits
JOIN THE EMPIRE

[Image: pixel_i__sabre_by_xxcloudscollide_d9z9zr...9zbmnl.gif]
please tag Sabre in all replies!
magic & force is permitted, excluding death or permanent injury.

Astarot Posts: 81
Dragon's Throat Sun Physician atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 2 (Birdsong) HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zafír :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Pare

He chuckles at his sister a warm smile on his face as she replies. So his name had been Kid. 'He'll be in for a hell of a shock when I see him next and know his name.' Tan and white lips cocked in a smirk as his own tail swished placidly at his hocks. He liked his sister immensely already. She was fun to mess with, always gave a satisfying reaction whenever he said something shitty. Maybe he just picked on his siblings, because he was a brother, maybe just maybe it was because there was something darker in his heart. Either way his attention was pulled away from her when the tree screeched.

He turned and laughter burst from his soft lips. Creatures were pouring into the clearing making a beeline for the food they had all gathered. His eyes turn to watch his sister and brother enviously. They are both brimming with magic as the critters attack. Instead of dealing with the animals coming for them he turns his attention to the badger. It seems to be leading the attack. Ignoring everyone else the colt races at the beast teeth bared. His alabaster skull diving towards the creature. He snaps at it's face trying to turn it around. He snarls and paws at the badger. He doesn't want to hurt the lumbering beast. Surely it is only doing what it thinks is best for it's friends. The creatures that lived here needed food as well. "Go away, you're only wasting your energy here!" His voice was a deep bellow, which surprised him greatly. He'd never had to be strict before, and he liked it."
Words
Words;; 442
OOC/Tags;; @Sabre Seeking a Dragon with fire breath

ASTAROT & TYRATH
I'm the pretty one in this bromance

Cowboy Posts: 22
Up For Adoption atk: 5.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.0
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 3 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
cowboy
Never apologize and never explain -
it's a sign of weakness.
He watches his nephews and niece smiling softly. His heart pinned for his own kids. To raise foals better than his brother had, but how could he do such a thing, these three were great. Even if they did have nasty tempers and jabbing words. He assumed all kids were like that, especially at their age. Heck, he had left when he was a teenager ready to get out on his own and find his father. He wished now he hadn't gone back to his mom to learn his name. Now he was gone for good, back to his own herd, wherever that was. He wouldn't let his own kids grow up without a father, no sir. He would be there for them, from it's first breath to his last.

He was pulled out of his mind by the sound of fuzzy creatures and yelling. He chuckled as Astarot laughed and jumped into action. As his niece threw up a wall of vines and the darker nephew turned into a dragon the stallion rushed for the piles of food. He stood over one snapping at birds and swishing his tail over another pile. If he seemed big and scary enough the stallion was sure the things were just hungry too, but there wasn't enough to go around here. "You all need to move on! There isn't enough for everyone." His voice came through bared teeth as he snapped at squirrels and chipmunks. The stupid furry creatures were everywhere, even the damned birds were everywhere. If these weren't the trees animals why were they here? Surely they could find easier than attacking so stupidly.
-----------------------------
Talk
OOC;; Cowboy is seeking a dragon with fire breath!
Words/Tags;; 273

image | coding

Aisling the Fae Posts: 112
Absent Abyss atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 13.1 :: 6 :: Birdsong HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Sorcha :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath Laine

as we walk in fields of gold

With a second collection of pinecones and a few bunches of berries she had found, Aisling returned to drop off the load and found only chaos. Small animals scurried everywhere, filching the offerings that the group had been working to gather. Thought the fae might have had the beginnings of a notion that these were the animals for whom they had been working to benefit, the Tree soon made it abundantly clear that she would have been mistaken. "Thieves!" the forest spirit boomed, but being a tree, was unable to do much more. Others were jumping in to aid the tree in protecting their get but the critters scampered everywhere like little whirlwinds, hastily absconding with the savory snacks.

Perhaps the most instinctual way of trying to stop pesky critters would have been though physical restraint but that presented a real problem to the gentle little mare. To stop on the wee things or try to block their way was nearly impossible, they were so scampery and small in comparison that if she tried to use her hooves she had a better chance of stomping on them. Even if they were taking things, their little lives hardly seemed a fair price for aisling to make them pay, and she certainly had no wish to harm any creature (maybe perhaps the dagger-thief, but at least she didn't dwarf that hulking beast). 

Not all the gathered her, seemed as bothered by such inhibitions- She saw trees of fire burst into existence, thorny  vines attack and her grey eyes widened to see some of the critters flung away by some magic. The little mare's face was drawn in conflict, ears falling back and eyes wide; what kind of fair fight was to be had when there was such a disparity in size? Seeking a way to at least slow the critters down, Aisling began a frantic chant. 

"The lady vanished into mist, a fog that did surround-
to snare, to guard, as thick as steel and set with sparks
that wound and wove and closed again, encircling the ground."

Thoght she didn't move from the edge of the scene, the little enchantress seemed to dissipate into a thick fog that swirled around the edge of the clearing to create a barrier. The mist looked thick enough to touch and it crackled  and sparked as it if were charged would zap those who tried to pass through. Of course, it would do no such thing but hopefully the creatures wouldn't test it and stop in their flight.

Aisling uses her illusion magic to disappear and create a perimeter of thick fog that appears to crackles with electricity.

Seeking a Dragon with Fire Breath
Wishtist
First Refusal
Second Refusal (SO SORRY I FORGOT ABOUT THIS ONE LAST POST D:)
[now come the days of the dreamer and they are filled with wonder and light ]
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Aisling in all posts ::

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
The tree did not think it could be prouder of the motley crew that instantly rose to the defense of their gathered supplies. Most of them did, at any rate, but he couldn’t blame Bathsheba for being wary of the birds and the fire that were suddenly surrounding her. Matheo’s fire trees were extremely effective - the small creatures shying away from the destructive force of fire, something they had become all too accustomed to during the harsh Tallsun. Arakh proved his bravery by standing between the flaming trees and brandishing his horn to encourage the critters to stay away.

They were thieves but they were still flesh and bone, after all.

Everyone else joined in - one of the colts shifting into a dragon, the scaled mare swatting at the birds that pestered her. Erebos’ magic was effective at freezing the birds and chipmunks and then flinging them away, after which they scampered off. Charging the large creatures was one thing, dealing with magic was entirely different. Even young Gemini and Macaria joined the fight, frightening off creatures with kicks and sparks respectively. Sabre called forth a wall of thorny vines and the tree had to admit he thoroughly approved of the use of vines over fire. Aisling wove her magic too, creating an illusion of electric mist to keep the critters back and the rabbits and squirrels scattered instead of testing the sparks they saw there.

Even the badger was unnerved! They had expected this to be an easy fight, a chance to win more food to fill their already-stuffed bellies, but it certainly was not. The not-so-fearless leader hissed but crouched low to the ground at Virga’s attack, wary of the colt, and was chased off a moment later when Astarot joined the black colt in the fight. The prickly branches of the spruce got a good whack in as the black creature retreated, just for good measure.

After seeing their leader flee, the rest of the animals followed suit. The ground was littered with berries and nuts and the things gathered but, fortunately, the majority of what the kind horses had gathered was still there.

The badger and his cronies were beaten!

The tree sighed with relief, calming down and returning to its former state. If it could, it might smile at those gathered before it now - whether they thought it right to fight off the thieves for the sake of other animals or not, they had all pitched in. First, though, the fires needed to be addressed. The tree didn't know how much control the grey colt had of them but they could not be allowed to continue to burn. “If you’ll kindly put those fires out, that’d be great.” It gestured its branches towards Matheo before taking on the group more generally. The almost-eyes of the bark seemed to shift between them all as its kind voice rang out. “It is a shame there is only one egg to reward you all with today, you all fought bravely. Thank you for defending the food that you gathered.” The tree said kindly, its branches sweeping upward again to reveal the egg once more. “I am in your debt. If you wish, you may eat one berry before you and it will keep your bellies full for the next week.” Ah yes! The tree knew a little bit about magic itself.

Now, it had to choose. How aggravating that it had rather come to like them all! It was like picking a favourite spruce cone, they were all too wonderful. But, just as it secretly favoured the little cone growing five feet down from the tip of its crown, on the eastern side, the tree could pull a choice from the group of horses.

Its branches swept towards the illusion-weaving fae. “I trust this egg to you, Aisling. Defend it with your life and care for it with your heart.” Boughs moved aside so the mare would be able to approach and retrieve the egg without encountering the prickly needles.

------

note: the extra roll that DT won for being herd champs in September was taken into account

Congratulations to AISLING!!
Please post in character records once your companion has hatched!
randomized list

Everyone else may eat one berry and not feel hungry in posts for the next RL week!

Random Event
Image Credit

Aisling the Fae Posts: 112
Absent Abyss atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 13.1 :: 6 :: Birdsong HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Sorcha :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath Laine

as we walk in fields of gold

The invading critters surrendered leaving the little clearing in dissaray as they fled in every direction. Aisling, at least, was pleased to see that where weren't any real casualties; it would have been foolish to do harm over food that could have been replaced. She let her illusion fall, the swirling, crackling mist returned and formed into her body once more. As best as she could, the little mare tried to pick up the strewn nuts and berries and return them to the little pile the group had created.

When the tree spoke again, she followed it's attention to the fiery trees. Can the boy snuff them as easily as create them? If not they would have to make sure they were extinguishes before they set the rest of the forest ablaze. The fae shuffled over to inspect them, would they be like a normal tree? able to be taken out at the root? using her sturdy little hooves, Aisling kicked dirt at the base of one, hoping to smother the flames. 

The talking tree wasn't done. It offered each a berry, a magical berry, and Aisling accepted hers with a nod of thanks but didn't eat it. If she could rouse Johnny from his slumber for a moment she'd give it to him-her darling boy sleep so soundly still and is was starting to worry her. When she heard her name again, Aisling's eyes went wide in astonishment. The tree moved it's branches, offering up into her care the little little egg nestles among its roots. Excitement coursed through her, but like it often did with Larue, a searing feeling of weighty responsibility came with it and the fae nodded solemnly to the tree even as her eyes sparkled with emotion. "I do so swear, this creature shall have the best care that I can give." She reached in slowly, carefully, and withdrew the egg. She'd return home now, find a safe place to tend to her new little charge. 

YAY!!! OMFGSOEXCITEDTHANKYOU
[now come the days of the dreamer and they are filled with wonder and light ]
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Aisling in all posts ::