the Rift

[PRIVATE] the tide pulls from the moon

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

Progress was a little slow when it came to travelling Helovia with twin foals - but Mesec didn’t mind, it was amazing how little he minded. Sure, it would have been a quick trip with a combination of his wings and his teleportation, but with each passing day he was getting the chance to get to know his kids.

It was still intensely surreal to him that they were his. At least a couple times a day his mind whirled around that information, and it was strongest when he opened his eyes and spied them both nearby. Two little drops of night that were perfect, utterly perfect. Obviously, they must get that from their mother - Mesec never felt less put-together than he did lately. Like he was just fractured pieces that were being held together with nothing more than luck. Well, luck and them. Despite the fact that it was becoming increasingly clear that he had no idea what he was doing, the twins were grounding him. Giving him a goal to aim for.

They hadn’t run away from him yet, so maybe that meant he was doing an okay job?

They were getting closer to the Edge and night had fallen once more - once the twins were tired enough they settled in a cozy spot near a small grove of lantern trees - the weeping branches bearing glowing pink and orange fruit that transformed the area into one touched by dawn instead of the middle of the night.

Lucius’ wing was still injured and he laid nestled in the crook of Mesec’s wings, cradled by the soft black feathers, as the demigod checked over the twins and made sure they were comfortable. The silver, glowing marking on the zephyr’s back showed a crescent moon for the one that should hang in the sky - but the day had turned overcast and now neither stars nor moon shone in the sky. Mesec was thankful for the light of the strange plants in this grove as he moved off to the side - for the way they softly illuminated the sleeping foals so that he could keep an eye on them with ease.

He didn’t move far, it was just a few metres to the water’s edge where he wanted to go, but each step away from them his thoughts darkened. That blinding, all-consuming hope that he had felt in the Veins only surfaced infrequently now and he found it difficult on this moonless, starless night to believe that somehow everything could be okay.

In the end, Mesec was only pretending to be a father - pretending that this average life could be his. What right did he have to even a sliver of happiness after what he had done?

Was Zero happy right now?

Lucius emitted a sad, low call that echoed across the small lake - both the thoughts of the demigod and his companion turning south towards the Throat, wishing for the ability to see across the distance.

Mesec the Nightwind

for @Tiamat <33

permission from Kae and Kiki to mention/mildly PP the kids sleeping nearby (for now ;D )
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli
“It’s cold tonight,” the blue mare murmurs between herself and her companion, tucking her head in towards her chest as a shiver ripples down the length of her spine. Nimue chirps once in acknowledgement, brushing up against her bonded’s shoulder every now and again, although she is not quite as bothered by the frosty weather. While she has yet to experience winter, Nimue is descended from large mammals who are used to frigid temperatures in the depths of the ocean, so the young leviathan has an ample amount of blubber to keep her comfortable enough. If anything, it is more of a daunting unknown.

The mare, on the other hand, is not so fortunate. With hot blood coursing through her veins and satin skin stretched thinly over supple muscles, Tiamat is not built for the cold. She adores her mountain home, of course, but it isn’t often that she must brace the winter without shelter, fire, or company. Instead she focuses on Nimue, who has taken happily to the snow. With excited leaps into the air, the little orca bounds forward enthusiastically.

Trailing after her companion, Tiamat steps lightly through the snow, glancing up to the sky and watching how her breath trails in white wisps along the clouds. It is peaceful here—the stillness is almost fragile in the way it softens the air, as though the entire forest is holding its breath for fear of disturbing it. In the calmness, she almost forgets how cold she is, her cloven toes following the tilt of the earth as they trail through the soft snow.

Only when Nimue suddenly glides around her does the ocean mare descend again to reality, long lashes fluttering as she watches the young orca dart behind her before settling at her opposite shoulder. “Nimue,” the mare laughs gently, reaching to nuzzle her companion’s smooth head. Her gaze follows the trail of those large baby blues, resting on the dark figure not far ahead—no doubt the stranger who had startled the little Leviathan. Casting a sideways smile to her bonded, Tiamat reaches out to the shadowy figure without hesitation. “Hello there,” she calls to him with soft sopranos, the white of her eyes glittering from the colorful fruits.

“You wouldn’t mind some company tonight, would you?” Tiamat asks when she draws closer, offering the dark stallion a pleasant grin (brimming with genuineness and delight) before she halts at his side. Arching her neck, the blue Mender offers her velvet muzzle in a kindly greeting, seeking to exchange breathes in a gesture of friendship that is nearly habitual for her. She can feel the heat of their bodies radiating between them, and her satin skin ripples once with the change of temperature. It would be nice to share the night with someone.

Looking up to the stallion’s face, she marvels at how his pale markings twinkle ever so gently, reminding her of her sister stars. Seeing his features more clearly now, her curiosity is too large to swallow before it bubbles from her tongue: “You look familiar—have we met before? I can be terrible at remembering names sometimes.” Tiamat shakes her head at herself, laughter whispering against her lips. “I’m Tiamat, and this is Nimue,” she motions to the Leviathan, who silently eyes the stranger with her crystal blue eyes.

notes; Hope you don't mind that I updated the season! I've procrastinated so long and so much has happened :3
Nimue reference
“Speech.”
and I can be your light
in the dark I will shine to guide you

@Mesec | image credits
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

A soft hello drew Mesec out of his dark thoughts, returning his mind to the present where it belonged. It took him a moment to register the greeting, to turn his gaze upon the one who had spoken, and in that moment he lost his chance to respond and she was asking him a question - whether he would mind company.

His smile is small and sleepy in comparison to the the bright one the blue mare who was approaching wore, but it was genuine all the same. Mesec was not about to turn down the chance for a distraction from his thoughts. “I would not mind at all.” She was already moving to join him but Mesec shifted slightly to make room on the snowy bank of the lake for the mare. She looked as though she belonged to it - the lake, that is - albeit during summertime. With her rich blue coat and tangles of seaweed and shells in her hair, she rather reminded Mesec of Kisamoa... although slightly less intimidating and much friendlier. She extended her muzzle toward him in a gesture Mesec hadn’t seen from a stranger in a very long time and it actually surprised him! Which was rather embarrassing to admit, even to himself. It wasn’t like he had never been greeted in a friendly manner by a stranger, most of the members of the Edge had been reasonably cordial when he had sought to join (at least those he had never met before).

This simple greeting that the blue mare offered so easily had previously been tied up for him with thoughts of friendships and reunions, not of first meetings. So with only a brief moment of hesitation, he extended his silver-touched muzzle towards hers and exchanged breaths lightly, committing hers to memory as he did so.

Conversation seemed just as second-nature to this mare as greetings and Mesec found himself a little jealous. He longed for such easy manners, to make someone feel as relaxed in his company as he was beginning to feel now. It was wonderful what the combination of company and friendly conversation could do.

Tiamat, as she introduced herself, asked whether they had met before and Mesec’s silver eyes consider her for a moment, only finding the faintest of familiarities but not enough to stick. Enough that he is certain he has seen her around Helovia before but not enough that any words might have been shared between them before this point. “No... I don’t believe we’ve met… but perhaps we have crossed paths before? Helovians are fond of gathering in places where there is magic.” He stated with a growing smile, thinking of the multiple strange creatures that were sent by the gods to test and choose who might gain a magic or a companion. He did not wish to say the more obvious reason she might find him familiar - if she knew who his mother was. Though her violet hues did not touch his skin they shared the same eyes.

Thinking of his mother reminded him of two other family members he bore a resemblance to and he nearly laughed at his foolishness. As if he could forget the two figures that slept nearby. “Or perhaps you’ve seen my son and daughter around? Vesper has silver stars along her back and Virga’s all black with just a few spots.” His soft voice took on an unmistakable sense of fondness and his eyes flickered to where he had left the sleeping twins. He could talk about those two all day if someone would let him and he was very curious about what sort of friends and adventures they made when they were not with him.

But his gaze and attention returned quickly to his present company, as he had an introduction to make as well. “It’s nice to meet you both.” Mesec found a soft smile easy to find for them both, nodding slightly to both mare and whale. “I’m Mesec…” He trailed off for a moment, hearing the near-silent flap of his companion’s wings letting him know not to stop the introductions there. “... and this is Lucius.” He gestured to the zephyr that swooped in from across the lake and landed on a branch where he could critically examine the strange whale that was floating near Tiamat.

And the blue mare. Between Ampere and Ki’irha, Mesec only seemed to have one reaction to that colour and Lucius decided promptly that he would be the judge of whether anything needed to be broken up.

Eager to change the subject of their shared thoughts, Mesec gestured to Nimue - his silver eyes alight with curiosity. “I’ve never seen anything like your companion before, what is she?” A whale, sure he could see that part, but there was clearly something else going on - and he only hoped that the question wouldn’t be considered rude.

Mesec the Nightwind

I'M SORRY IT'S SO LONG HE WOULDN'T STOP
<3 @Tiamat

The taller stallion accepts her company without any obvious hesitation, and his surprise at her gesture of friendship goes unnoticed by the blue mare. Being so incredibly open and accepting herself, the idea of someone being unused to such intimate gestures is nearly foreign to her innocent, blissful mind. The possibility that this dark stranger (alone, in the woods, in the middle of the night) could pose any kind of threat to her doesn’t even rise in her thoughts. Tiamat, as some would say, is foolishly trusting. But where would the world be, if everyone only prepared themselves for the worst? If everyone only looked for the flaws, what would the goodness matter then? Would it matter at all?

That is why she lives every moment with a full investment of her large, unquestioning heart.
(And that is why her recent suspicions of Kisamoa have haunted her so terribly, as that black, stubborn seed of doubt thrashes and tears at everything she holds dear).

Still, the young Mender has managed to hold on to (cling to) the very core of her beliefs, and she has no intention of allowing herself to fall any deeper into these frightening, churning shadows. She stares into the stallion’s silvery eyes (fathomless, beautiful, and enchanting) with this same hope brimming in her own gaze, casting a lifeline into the waters for anyone who might grasp it. Little does she know of the turmoil that wars in her newfound company, but Tiamat doesn’t have to know. That is simply what she does—she loves; with every fiber of her being, she cares.

Her lips quirk into a crooked smile, laughing softly at his mention of Helovia’s wont for gatherings. “That is very true,” white eyes dance as she ponders on this strange, wonderful world that they live in. “There have been quite a few such gatherings lately, I’ve probably seen you around at least once,” Tiamat throws him a playful wink, giggling once before clearing her throat and trying to hide the way her demeanor wilts. She fails, of course—she has been, and always will be, an open book—and usually she would have it no other way.

There are memories she would rather forget, images of blood and violence that she wouldn’t wish upon anyone, and the cries of war that still echo in the deepest, most haunting part of her dreams. Indeed; there are many other things that she would rather focus on, no matter how the nightmares trouble her.
(Will her fragile mind ever recover?)

She is grateful when the stallion continues, brightening their conversation with his talk of his children. “Vesper and Virga…” the Mender murmurs to herself, rolling the names around in her muddled thoughts before the memories click. “Oh!” She exclaims with recognition, though she immediately becomes bashful, embarrassed by her sudden outburst of excitement. Chastising herself, she peeks in the general direction that he had glanced, and offers him an (adorable, let’s be honest) apologetic grin before continuing with her train of thought: “Those adventurous little darlings; I see the relation in you now, they’re beautiful children. You should be proud.” However, Tiamat can tell by the mere tone of his voice that this is one doting father. He needn’t be reminded.

“I’ve met them briefly—they’re in the Basin, aren’t they? I don’t think I’ve seen you there though?” It is anything but an accusation, rather a question of curiosity. Tiamat would like to think that she is as involved with her beloved herd as she wants to be, but the cruel truth is, she hasn’t been around much recently. There are undoubtedly many faces that she hasn’t seen and friends that have yet to be made. Not for the first time, she vows to herself that it must change.

Widening her smile when the stallion introduces himself, her glittering eyes shift briefly to the large, four-winged bird as it glides over to them. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mesec—and you as well, Lucius,” the ocean mare gives each of them a pleasant inclination of her hollow horn, her eyes resting on Lucius for a moment longer. “He’s a handsome bird,” she comments when she focuses again on Mesec. Like many species of companions in Helovia, Tiamat is vaguely familiar with the idea of Zephyrs, although she knows very little about them. (Another kindling to her fire of curiosity).

When Mesec questions about Nimue, the blue mare curves her neck around to brush her muzzle against her companion’s side. “You aren’t the first to ask,” Tiamat says with a grin, exhaling a soft, white breath across the little orca’s face. “She is a Leviathan—a creature of the ocean, and a cousin to the larger whales there. I’ve only ever seen one other one myself.” She still marvels at this gift she has been given, and how fortunate she is. Nimue presses close to her bonded, the majority of her attention focusing on Lucius, who is currently large enough to rival the young whale’s size. Her baby blue eyes are large with uncertainty, not knowing what the eagle-like creature is, but undoubtedly curious all the same.

notes; I'm sorry if it's rambling or choppy, I have to learn how to harness muse again xD
Nimue reference
“Speech.”
and I can be your light

@Mesec | image credits

A soft chuckle escaped Mesec at the enthusiasm with which Tiamat realized she knew who his children were. If his son and daughter were wandering Helovia and only met those with the kindness of this mare, he would not need to worry about them. “I am.” His smile was wide when he spoke those soft words, the sort of smile that Mesec only wore when thinking of his children (and, he’d soon realize, those he considered family - for a little lightning colt once brought out the same smile in him). Though their beauty must surely be attributed to their mother, Mesec was was proud to say that the black and silver colt and filly were his. The joy that connection brought him was unlike anything he had ever felt before.

At the question about whether the twins were in the Basin, and he as well, Mesec hesitated just slightly - wondering how best to explain the situation. Mesec wasn’t one to lie, not if he could help it, not even when there was no reason for him to tell the truth to a complete stranger. But, at least, he could (and would) avoid the details of how he had once lived in the Basin - kind as Tiamat was, there were some experiences that you just don’t share upon a first meeting. “No actually… uh, I lived there a long time ago but they’re actually living with me in the Edge now. Their mother been so busy lately so I thought I would look after them…” He could not possibly explain that Tiamat would not have seen him visiting his son and daughter because while they were still very young he had posed an incredible danger to them and he had not allowed himself any more contact but to visit once and confirm what his mother had told him, that he was a father.

At Tiamat’s compliment for Lucius, the zephyr chortled happily while Mesec replied. “Thank you, he likes to think that he is.” Mesec sent a cheeky smile to his companion who promptly turned his chortling into something close to a snort as he settled into a comfortable position on the branch he was on. Though Lucius was curious about Nimue, he was also aware that his large wings and talons could be intimidating if he tried to fly over towards her. He knew (and enjoyed) the taste of fish and while he briefly wondered whether this whale-creature would taste the same, he also did not want to frighten her or her bonded away.

He was of the impression that Mesec could use more friends and it would not be his actions that scared away this mare.

Mesec’s silver eyes watched with a soft smile as Tiamat brushed her muzzle against her companion’s side before responding to the question he had asked about her. A leviathan! It was good to have a name for the creature, and incredible to learn that at least one other existed in Helovia. “How wonderful! I have a friend that would be very interested in meeting her, he’s very fond of whales.” Perhaps, if Mesec ever earned the right for forgiveness from his young friend, he could share this new knowledge.

But thoughts of Zero would only darken his mind and Mesec instead changed the subject, referring back to one they had touched upon moments ago. “Are you from the Basin?”

Mesec the Nightwind

@Tiamat

The ocean mare doesn’t notice the brief hesitation of Mesec’s response when she questions him about the Basin. Her attention is too easily consumed by the way his silver eyes shine with talk of his children, how his lips soften into a doting grin, how even the timbre of his voice is markedly affectionate, undoubtedly adoring his son and daughter. Just watching him, she finds herself almost mirroring his expression, the dainty lines of her features warming gently. Although she is not a parent herself (and thus cannot fully grasp the love between mother and child), the Mender is brimming with an innate sense of affection for all things. Every living creature—with or without a heartbeat—is dear to the ocean mare. It makes her heart swell to see the same love reflected in the stallion.

With ears slanting forward to soak in everything from this beautiful moment, Tiamat is casually caught off-guard when Mesec reveals that he, in fact, is not from the Basin. “Oh I see,” she murmurs, more saddened than anything (indeed, she feels strangely dismayed to find that he does not share her mountain home, more so than she has any right to hold towards a stranger). But, he is no stranger to her now—she won’t allow them to be anything short of friends.

“Well that’s very thoughtful of you to take them in—I’m sure they love you for it. A father’s love is very important for a child,” Tiamat continues with an honest smile, hoping that she hadn’t made him feel bad with her initial reaction (she has never been able to hide her emotions well).

Shifting her hooves in the snow and wrapping her lion tail around her flanks, she gives the silvered stallion a playful grin. “Whenever you and your darlings come back to visit their mother in the Basin, don’t forget to say hello before leaving; or else I might have to actually visit this Edge of the world and track you down,” the blue mare laughs breathlessly, being sure to keep the level down this time. Of course, she threatens him purely in jest, very much hoping to see both him and his children on (many) other occasions.

Quieting her laughter to a purring hum, the Mender listens when Mesec mentions his whale-loving friend (a glittering white-eyed glance is also given to the large Zephyr as he snickers happily to his bonded). “Is that so?” She says as she turns her gaze again to the dark stallion, long lashes fluttering in the frigid night air. “You’ll have to introduce us sometime! Nimue is certainly a jewel from the sea,” she hugs the Leviathan again, and Nimue creeps forward to hover more at the back of Tiamat’s shoulder, her shyness slowly melting to give way to her curiosity.

Of course—not that anyone present is aware—the ocean mare has already crossed paths with Mesec’s little lightning friend (several seasons ago, when monsters had plagued Helovia and brought hatred with them). The colt’s metal side and earthen golem would be impossible to forget; but that is all conversation for another time.

Soon Mesec questions her about the Aurora Basin, and the mare’s eyes are suddenly alight with pleasure. “I am!” She confirms with a broad smile, leaning a step closer to him as her enthusiasm bubbles. “I’m a healer there—a Time Mender. It’s been my home for several years now, and has become very dear to me,” her tone lilts tenderly, ever adoring of her beloved mountains, snowy peaks, and the people within. To her, it is a place unlike anything else.

“How long ago did you live there? Why did you leave?” Tiamat questions him without thinking, smiling brightly, carried away by her curiosity. Only after the fact does she catch herself, dainty ears splaying to the side as her smile turns bashful. “If you don’t mind me asking.”

notes; Nimue reference
“Speech.”
and I can be your light

@Mesec | image credits

Mesec hoped Tiamat was right - hoped that the twins didn’t resent him for taking them in and not just moving to the Basin with them. That hadn’t felt like an option for him, not when his mother was encouraging him to move to the Edge - she was hardly someone that was easy to deny. Vesper rarely seemed to be bothered by the change in scenery but he couldn’t say for certain about Virga.

But the playful smile and teasing laugh that Tiamat treated him to next drew out a bright smile of his own and he laughed lightly at the threat of her coming to the Edge and tracking him down. “They both look forward to seeing their mother again, I hope we will get the chance to see her soon.” Suddenly, it occurred to Mesec that Tiamat might know the twins’ mother. She had seen the twins in the Basin, but had they seen them with her? “Her name is Ki’irha, have you seen her around the Basin lately? She’s got a blue pelt that’s speckled with stars.” Mesec doubted very much that the star mare might have returned to Helovia and neglected to come visit their children in the Edge - but there did not seem to be any harm in asking. And if Tiamat had any news, or no news at all, it would still be an update that he could pass on to his children to soothe their worries. “But you would be very welcome to come visit in the Edge, in any case. Have you ever been before?”

The questions about his stay in the Basin were only natural, but he appreciated the bashful addition asking him if he minded. “No, I don’t mind.” Mesec answered quietly, expecting it to taste like a lie but he found that he really didn’t mind - perhaps it was the unobtrusive way that she was asking, her kind smile putting him at ease. More than that though, his history in the Basin was uncomfortable but it was padded by the rest of his life now. By reconciliations, however brief, with his father and sister, and the discovery of a set of brothers. Unfortunately, his small history in the Basin contrasted with the picture that Tiamat painted - the tender touch to her voice as she spoke of her home.

For a brief moment - he wondered whether he would ever feel that way about a herd, about a physical place in Helovia that he could truly consider home - but it was Lucius that send a warm image of the twins to Mesec. Wherever they might be, that was his home.

After a small pause, he continued - his gaze still on Tiamat but hazy and unfocused with memory. “I was there for barely a year, I think. After I was born, my mother brought me there and I was raised by my father and his family. D’Artagnan… he used to be a Time Mender there as well actually.” Here Mesec paused, watching Tiamat’s face for any flicker of recognition concerning his father. It wasn’t often that he gave out such information freely, but it wasn’t often that it was asked about. Those who had known him for his entire life already knew all about the Nightshade and his demigod son, and with those who hadn’t it just never really came up. More often than not, everyone was more interested in who his mother was than asking after his father. “They… the Basin wasn’t tolerant towards those with wings, I’m not sure if they have the same prejudices now, but I ran away because of how I was treated because of them.” Mesec frowned for a moment, shuffling the appendages in question uncomfortably and recalling his fight with Aviya, but caught himself and turned it into a soft smile for Tiamat as he refocused on the present. “I found a new, kinder home, in the Windtossed Foothills so I suppose it worked out alright in the end.” Until the darkness and the wraiths destroyed that home, that was, but for a time he was happy there with Roskuld, Ophelia, Apollo, and the others.

“I’m glad that the Basin has been good to you, though.” He added, truthfully and without any sort of bitterness, his smile warming further. He wasn’t sure what the Basin was like any more but he found it hard to see someone as kind as Tiamat living blissfully within a viciously racist society.  

Mesec the Nightwind

@Tiamat