the Rift

Of Monsters [open!]

Redux Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Photobucket

come, break me down, bury me, bury me!

What would lay in these new forests beginning to surround her? Redux constantly had to ask that question, knowing well that there was never an answer— unless she could spy into the future beyond her deep orange eyes. Frost drifted from the clouded sky above her as she continued along a well-worn path in the snow. She traveled lightly in the trench of a deer trail, following it's sloping curves down from the mountains. Here the air was thicker and cold than the rocks that climbed to the heavens. Redux stood out in the empty vicinity. Her shaggy coat of a soft palomino color was her best defense against the cold weather at this point. Slightly skinny due to the lack of green vegetation, but overall, you could still tell she was built for running. A sleek, aero-dynamic build with light structure and long, muscular legs. Her cloven hooves crunched the newly fallen snow below her.

Redux's messy, curly mane fell against her shoulders and fell across her head as well. The mane was a spiced, fiery orange color, curled into ringlets naturally. The distinct "lions tail" she had was raised slightly to prevent it from touching the cold ground. Vivid orange ringlets also sprouted from the tip of her tail. She regarded the land around her with an anxious, but eager feeling. Something told her this place would be home from now on until she felt like moving on again. The unicorn moved quietly into the woods now and away from the openness of the valley. Redux moved through the snow laden forest, crossing frozen water beds, jumping over fallen trees, and pushing through barren thickets. Occasionally the mare would stop and shake the snow from her coat or mark a tree by rubbing the short horn on her muzzle across the birch. With the sun still shining behind the thick, frost filled clouds, she had a lot of traveling to do.

At one point near sun-down, Redux stopped in an open field. Snow blanketed the dry grass beneath. She sighed softly and watched the warm breath she expelled turn into a white puff. Turning her head to glance over her shoulder, the mare checked to make sure that she was not being followed. Watching, listening, and feeling, after a long moment she decided that everything was safe for her. Birds chirped in the woods surrounding the open meadow. Redux walked lazily to the south in hopes of finding food at some point. There was always a risk of starvation when searching through an unknown land.

"Redux's speech"

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi

"You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me"
-- Patrick Rothfuss

The walk was a simple one. Cascading through the harsh mountains, slide through the Arch and simply stroll into the Threshold. The weather got easier as one moved downwards and the terrain flatter. d'Artagnan couldn't care less if he was going up, down or side to side. The new poison he had cooked up had taken hold of his senses as he rather drunkenly wobbled into the shaded trees. His head full of mist and his eyes dizzy under influence. This is marvellous! The thought seemed to echo in his mind, the rustle of trees a muffled sound in his delirium. d'Artagnan wasn't entirely sure what he took could be a poison, it certainly wasn't all that bad. The days were getting shorter, the nights were freezing and this is what happens to the Nightshade when left with nothing to do. Experimentation. Who knew what would be left of him later that day.

Glazed dual coloured eyes spotted the palomino femme and before he could even try conjure a single thought, the merlot steed was bobbling over to her. His movements lurched and uncoordinated. His next challenge raised its head. Speech. A gruff voice with tones of a complete idiot emerged from his grey lips, it seemed he could speak coherently but made little difference as his mind was still hazy. "Ahoy sister! Could you perhaps help me home?"

The words tumbled out and he looked blearily at her, his vision blurring once more as he took in the horns she carried. All of a sudden the formula took effect again and they turned into 6 or 8 and he withdrew in surprise. "Shit!" Blinking a few times as the curse left his maw, he really did need to go home.

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Unregistered

Photobucket

no warning sign, no alibi

A stranger in a strange land. Redux smiled softly at the thought how often that became her. Wanderlust had always provoked her to keep moving— to keep her cloven hooves touching new terrain. With each slow stride she used to walk through the meadow, time ticked away faster. At any point the sun would finally dip beyond the horizon and bathe the land in darkness. The moon wouldn't likely shine through the thick clouds still following her from the mountains. Redux paused to look back at the looming mountains she had just escaped from. Luckily she would wind up staying here for the night instead of the icy caverns of those monsters. The mare shook gently from the chill of the wind attempting to steal her body's heat.

When she heard the call of a nearby equine, Redux tensed up quickly and turned to face the approaching stallion. Defensively she lowered her head just a bit, a subtle warning for him. The three tips of her horns pointing at him. She studied the way he was walking though, more or less stumbling like a half-retarded horse. His request caught her attention. Knowing that she was not alone in this land put her at ease— obviously there should be more of his kind at home. Redux snorted softly and looked him over. His two horns looked like glass, the front-most one was cracked in half though. A curious look was caught in her darkened orange eyes. Why was he acting like a complete idiot? There was a glazed look held in his dual colored optics, and his actions were incoherent. Redux mulled his question over for a moment and decided.

"Where is home?" she said, her deep voice was smooth and warm.

"Redux's speech"

Leander the LionHeart Posts: 184
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 8
Epona
L E A N D E R

The distinct scent of the ed-Edge had lured Leander through the trees. His burly, golden form stepped gingerly through the snow with quiet care. Mahogany wings were drawn against his back, their long tips reaching past his hindquarters, in hopes of avoiding the loud branches that clung to the trees. He had no way of knowing if Faelene was around this wood, or if it was Mauja himself. Either way, he was not in the mood to see another soul be dragged off to a life of hatred and an early demise.

The source of the scent revealed himself soon enough. A bright bay Unicorn brute stumbled over the pale ground, his motions uncoordinated and wrong. Leander's brow wrinkled into a grimace as he watched the stallion speak from a distant bundle of trees. There was clearly something wrong with this horned boy; who was likely some soldier he'd faced in the World's Edge. Surprisingly, the mare which he spoke to looked almost hostile as she gestured her own spiked head. Quizzically, honey orbs narrowed at the scene. Finally, he stepped out from his well concealed spot.

"Hello miss! And welcome to Helovia! Are you in need of any assistance?" The tawny buck strode towards the lady, gazing at her with a smile while still keeping tabs of the other stallion in the corner of his eye. Feathered pillars halted a respectful distance away from the sun-kissed dame, and he dipped his head low in a polite flourish of cream locks. She was a lovely sight; with firey tresses falling long over her slender neck. Her eyes were yet another attractive vision, bearing a bright orange hue he'd never seen on the face of anyone else. "You look quite capable of handling this.. drunkard, yourself. But if you would like any help, it would be my pleasure to aid you." Warm, husky tones met the air.

Unregistered

Photobucket

I yelled back when I heard thunder, but I'm down to one last breath

Redux had been so focused in on the intoxicated stallion wobbling in front of her that she hardly noticed the large, winged stallion approaching until she heard his voice rumble over the silence. Luckily, she was confronted by a stallion that could actually walk and think. She cast her eyes to D'Artagnan for a moment and wondered if he could form a coherent reply in his state at the moment. Did he even know where he was in this world? Redux looked back to the new stallion and regarded him curiously. She had never seen an equine with wings in her lifetime, and the sight puzzled her instantly. The dark mahogany wings were perched easily to his broad back and made the brute look even more massive then he was. Towering over her at two hands, stocky, and strong; the intimidation was clear on Redux as she took a hesitant step back.

Other equines had been bewildered by the horns sprouting from her skull, so there were obviously different mutations within these lands. Redux offered a warm smile to Leander and replied in a soft voice, "Thank you," she paused momentarily to look between the two stallions, "I'm completely at a loss here... I know nothing." Redux's smile turned a little sheepish as she admitted the truth to her lost wanderings. She had little idea of what this land called Helovia was. Again she took the chance to look back at D'Artagnan with a solid, firm look. Capable or not of handling the swaying horned stallion, Redux was fearful to offend him in any manner. Her soft lips stayed closed as she turned her orange eyed gaze back to Leander, bewildered as to what was on her mind. Instead, Redux shifted the conversation elsewhere. "My name is Redux. Your's?" she asked curiously to the winged stud.

(p.s. I didn't know if D'Artagnan is going to reply or not... so I just went ahead xD hehe, couldn't help myself! Hope it's okay)

"Redux's speech"

Hidden Account
Epona
L E A N D E R

Not surprisingly, the pretty stranger appeared a bit startled by his approach. Hoping to reassure the lady, Leander kept his gold frame still and let his wings fold against his hide. There was no way of knowing whether this Unicorn doe was racist like the loony ex-Edge boy. Luckily, the orange locked girl greeted him with friendly words, not showing any signs of hatred for the lack of decoration on his head. She confirmed his assumption that she was a newcomer, or so it seemed, and he did not miss the hard look she gave to the drunken bay.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, miss Redux. I am Leander, a warrior of the Dragon's Throat herd. And as for him," The brawny pegasus let his voice soften as he went on to speak of the stallion before them, and feathered limbs stepped a bit closer to Redux. There was no need to speak to anyone here but her. "I do not know his name, but his scent is of a racist Unicorn group, which I and my allies recently defeated in battle. They believe that anyone without a horn on their brow is essentially worthless. That ideology has not worked well for them, as you can see." White traced eyes gleamed with knowledge as he spoke, his words holding no anger or bitterness, but truth. He would give this lovely young fae the information he could, for there was no doubt that Mauja's group would try to swindle her loyalty off if they got the chance. After a moment of looking towards the glass-horned brute, Leander let his view fall back to Redux. "This whole region is called Helovia, and right now you are in the Threshold. To the West is the World's Edge, a herd which lives in a forest by steep cliffs which drop to the sea. To the North is the Windtossed Foothill's, another herd-land which is fairly self explanatory. And to the South is the Dragon's Throat, where I hail from. My leader is Kri the Resolute, a strong and just mare. We live on the shores of a lake, an oasis in the midst of desert." Some pride flushed his features at speaking of his herd, though his tone was still softer than it normally was, as to leave the intoxicated stallion to his own mind. His own brilliant gaze lingered on the girl's autumn pools, a rather brash smile on his lips. "I have given you honest information of all the herds, my lady. But I must warn you; there are those from other herds that have no qualms about fabricating lies in order to gain the loyalty of a pretty girl like you. I have seen more than one be led away beneath a veil of lies in this wood." White traced eyes glanced around the forest to punctuate the statement, though the reddish stallion never left his sights. His sandy brow wrinkled as he thought of the last mare he'd met here in the Threshold, whisked away by a sharp-tongued bastard and the lies he spit. One day, that buck would have his ego taken down a notch, and it would be at his own hooves. His look of tension would probably not be lost on the lovely Redux, and it didn't take long for the palomino to once again return his eyes to the light hued girl, unable to fight smiling at her. "Where are you from, Redux? And what do you seek in this troubled land?"

[ooc: It has been more than 48 hours, so I am skipping D'art as well <3]

Unregistered

Photobucket

I yelled back when I heard thunder, but I'm down to one last breath

"Leander..." Redux relayed softly, almost to herself, as if trying out the name on her lips. She smiled to the winged stud and listened intently to his voice. The mentioned position of being a warrior confirmed Redux's thoughts about the stallion before her. He carried himself the way a warrior would. Redux's vivid orange eyes kept him in focus while, every so often, checking on the state of the unicorn stallion. Her attention was instantly captured by Leander's words. There were unicorns out there who hated the wings settled on the backs of these equines? The idea was absurd and belittled by Redux instantly. At the back of her mind, she knew there were winged horses who hated the unicorns as well. Redux glanced between D'artagnan and Leander for a moment before settling her attention back to the winged stallion.

As Leander began speaking of their surroundings and the layout of Helovia, Redux's eyes were alight with a vibrant fire of curiosity. This place she had stumbled upon was much bigger than she had initially expected. To be able to explore such a wondrous, large territory made Redux swell with optimism. Would she finally find the place that was calling her? Redux's ears were strained forward to listen to every detail Leander was giving her. She smiled exuberantly up to the handsome stud as the pride in his voice swept his features. The horned mare had no intention of making small comments while he was talking-- the stud did manage to consume her entire attention-- and Redux was better at listening than talking anyhow. She nodded slowly as if to digest the last bit of information he gave her.

The tension he showed for a moment caused Redux to shift her gaze away from the stud and look about their surroundings. The skies were still cloudy but open. For a swift moment she was jealous that Leander was able to reach such heights. The only times Redux's cloven hooves left solid ground was to jump over fallen trees in the forests she explored. Her optics gazed back to Leander in time to return his smile. "I trust that you have, Leander. Thank you for taking the time to tell me all of this. I shall definitely keep it in mind throughout my time here in Helovia." she said in a warm, cheerful tone. Redux quirked her ears back towards Leander as he asked her a question. A thoughtful look came about her features as she thought of what to say to the stud.

"I have forgotten where I hail from, truthfully." she answered softly, her voice quiet now as she spoke, "I do not know what I seek quite yet. I'll find my calling soon enough, though." Redux smiled up to Leander and then took a moment to look wistfully around them. "I've spent my years trying to find a place that truly felt like home... So I hope that Helovia may have a place for me in it's depths." she said thoughtfully. She turned her gaze back to Leander and smiled sweetly to him. "What about you, Leander? Were you born here in Helovia?" Her own curiosity shining through as she asked, hoping to get to know the stallion a little better.

( p.s. I think it's safe to say that D'Art will not be replying... 3: )

"Redux's speech"

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

your heart is the beacon, your heart is the storm

As Leander went on to explain his knowledge of Helovia to Redux, she seemed completely engrossed in his words. His initial impression of the golden mare was a good one; she was a true lady, with grace and gentility. He had no doubts that she was strong as well, and could likely brandish the sword on her brow skillfully. All the components of a beautiful, elegant girl. It was times like these that he wished his heart didn't linger for one who'd rather follow a fallen tyrant than be by his side. He often wondered if his bitterness for Faelene's loyalty to Mauja would ever help him to love someone else. If he did, he would likely look for a doe much like the elegant, quiet one before him now. His golden eyes did wander, but his heart did not sway. His heart could not bear to break anyone else's.

Brilliant eyes laid on the sun-kissed curve's of Redux's face as she finally responded to his monologue. He listened patiently as she spoke, still smiling warmly. Maybe she could see the soft hint of longing in his gaze, or maybe her mind was too busy with thoughts of her new land to notice such small details. He was curious as to how anyone could forget where they'd come from, but he figured his own childhood was probably more remarkable than some. How could one ever forget such a violent end to their innocence? Soon the fire maned dove asked him a question, and he began to formulate an answer. "I was born in a distant land, in a group of my own kind. We were attacked by hostile Unicorns when I was a yearling, and I wasn't quite quick enough to get away." He relaid his past to her slowly, throwing a gesture back to the large scar across his haunch. "I learned that not all Unicorns were that way, though, and so I hold no grudge to any kind. I went on to become a rogue fighter of sorts for several years, training myself to be skilled in battle. One day I found Helovia, and decided to join the Dragon's Throat. It must have been fated, for it has truly become my home." He looked off through the trees as he spoke, musing over how quickly he'd become such a part of the herd after being such a loner for so long. Finally, he'd found his own place of fit, as Redux searched for now. After the brief pause, he let his charming gaze fall back to her own lovely face. "I know Helovia could have many places for you in it's depths, Redux. There are many recruiters that would swindle you into their herd if nothing but for another body to fill their land." He addressed her again, a quick image of Ricochet flashing through his mind. "But you are worth far more than to waste your time with that. The Dragon's Throat could be your home, if you would like to visit it with me. You would not be bound the the land or restricted, as many loners might think. And you may just find your calling within it." Bronze pools glistened above his husky chords. "What would you think about becoming a sleuth?" His words were low, almost mysteriously enticing. The title was exciting in itself, and if he were not such a bulky warrior hearted stallion, he'd likely be one himself. He had been particulary searching for someone special; someone who could fill the one position in the Throat that was devastatingly weak. Something in the girl's bright firey eyes made him wonder if she was the one. Maybe the skilled one he sought was standing right before him, and maybe the aureate lady's calling was now in front of her.

[ooc: table switch xD]

Unregistered

Photobucket

Don't sell your heart, don't say we're not meant to be

Redux's mind was racing as it stored away every bit of information Leander had spoken to her just moments ago. She remained oblivious to the depths of Leander's golden eyes, but perhaps it was purposely she shied her eyes away. There had never been a time when Redux would halt her wanderlust to swoon over a stallion. The thought of a being holding such a thought for her would instantly make the shy mare bashful and awkward. She was still young after all, and unprepared in that world... not that the thought of love wouldn't appeal to her. Redux cast her eyes up to Leander as he began to answer her question.

Until he motioned to the old wound, Redux would have never caught the pink scar nearly hidden on the flank by his long, flight feathers. Her orange eyes landed on it and softened visibly at the thought of such a young creature being attacked by those of her own race. Redux turned her gaze back to the white-traced eyes of Leander as he continued speaking to her. Her admiration for the handsome warrior was clear across her light features as she listened to his story. A sweet smile remained on her soft muzzle. Redux knew that Leander had not spoken a lie this entire conversation length. He had the brave heart of a lion, and didn't have to lie in order to bring about what he needed to persuade.

A faint trace of blush was likely visible across her cheek bones as he spoke again about finding her place within Helovia. She smiled sheepishly to the winged stag once again and let a small laugh bubble quietly from her. "Thank you, Leander. I will have no intentions of being without a purpose or useless within the ranks of any group." she said, with a curt nod to affirm the statement. She listened as he spoke admirably of Dragon's Throat, a place that was becoming more and more enticing to Redux. Orange eyes were aglow with the thought of what could be; and the interesting word of slueth was appealing in her mind. The horned mare paused her willingness to look around once again. Surrounded by frosted woods that loomed with strangeness. Redux returned her gaze to the winged stallion she had now grown fond of. He was her only guiding light through Helovia at this moment, and Redux understood she would be blind without one... waste away in the snow laden lands. Unlike the others he had spoken about that would show her a wrong path, she knew Leander was helping her out of sheer kindness and goodness. Boldly, she answered, "It would be a pleasure to visit Dragon's Throat with you. Hopefully I will call it home as well." Redux smile broadened as she turned her attention back to Leander.

She moved now in a light prance over the snowy grass and away from the un-speaking, woozy horned stallion. Redux laughed and let the breath puff away into the air. "Just lead the way!" she said brightly. Her fiery, curly tresses bouncing with her small movements. The warmth flooded back into her veins as she began to move towards the south. She half-expected the stud to lead her by the sky and remove his hooves from the solid ground. Either way, she wouldn't complain of the new adventure taking place. "What's a sleuth?" Redux asked curiously while rolling the word on her tongue, testing it like she had with Leander's name.

( p.s. I like it!(: I'll be doing a switch soon, too <3 )

"Redux's speech"

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

your heart is the beacon, your heart is the storm

His eyes had begun to linger less and less on the uncoordinated red buck, too attentive towards the gilded lady now to pay the intoxicated stranger much attention. He still half-expected the brute to come stumbling towards him with his horn slashing and cutting the air, but those were only his old memories of childhood trying to haunt him. He had learned to ignore them, though the smell of ex-Edge still rattled his nerves. Unless it was Faelene, the scent was only a sign of aggression now. After seeing Mauja's antlered pawn, he knew his worry of their anger was warranted. They would be retaliating against the Qian, and the Throat.

A wrinkle of dark concern passed his brow, briefy, at thoughts of the plotting band of Unicorns in the North. But soon the pretty, blonde mare spoke up, and his mind was again pleasantly occupied by her. The more she talked, the more he liked her. She seemed like one of the only newcomers he'd found that really had her wits about her. Too many of them were like nervous little deer, ready to jump and run with the first one that spun them an appealing lie. Words of truth and neutrality seemed to be lost on so many these days.

The dove accepted his offer immediately, her dainty frame already making it's way off. She laughed, and a deep chuckle purled out of his own chest. "Right this way, my lady." He said, brandishing his head in a playful dramatic bow before heading towards the Throat. "The Throat is far South of here. We've got quite a walk ahead of us, but you'll get to see much of Helovia on our way." He smiled at Redux and picked up a trot to fall in pace to her side. He'd much rather be in the air, but he preferred to stay on the ground when with a companion who couldn't fly. It was only proper manners, in his way. The honey doe's voice rang out a question. Caution found it's way in his champagne pools as he turned to look back at the ex-Edge drunk. They were far out of earshot from the stranger, and so Leander answered with a hushed tone. "A sleuth is a vital part of the herd. Especially these days. A slueth is a finder of secrets. One who discovers information that pertains to the herd's safety. Such as, if there are any groups planning an attack on us, or that may have reason to steal one of our members." Cloud traced orbs glanced out through the trees as he explained the title, before falling back to Redux. "A sleuth must be stealthy, quick-witted, and like to explore. They help maintain the spies, called informants, and coordinate where they should focus their attentions. It is no easy task, but it may be the most exciting one to fill. You would work to learn all that within the land which is meant to be kept unspoken."

[ooc: If you want to post a joining thread in the Throat, I'll reply with Leander to it ;)]