the Rift

[OPEN] First Fall

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie

Autumn was beautiful.

Gone were the laboriously hot afternoons languidly spent beneath shady trees and singing brooks. Now, the afternoons were brief, and delightfully perfect, following mornings that were crisp and pure. When night fell, the heat of those afternoons swiftly dissipated, leaving a crystalline chill to the air that promised great changes yet to come.

Dancing among the falling, orange, red, and yellow foliage of the forest, the healer’s daughter leaps and pirouettes, giggling as the rough, dry leaves drag across her body, and kiss her ginger nose; the afternoon sun trickles through the beams overhead and warms her back, obscuring the slight chill of the wind that tousles the leaves loose from their weakening holds. Under hoof, the crunchy song of those already fallen coincides with her capricious prancing, and it is to this stamped and tramped beat that her childish, sing-song voice invents what is surely her one hundred and seventy ninth unique (and imperfect) creation.

Red leaf, bright leaf, fallin’ from above,” sings Maude, in her less than pleasant (but none the less enthusiastic) voice, “dancing in the leaves, in a perfect, uh… grove!

Attempting a particularly daring aerial dance move involving leaping off a nearby stump, the young doe almost manages it; stumbling over a loose branch as she comes back down, however, she is sent tumbling gracelessly to the forest floor, her cheerful song dissipating in an adorably piteous, “Ooomph!

Sitting back on her haunches, and shaking the leaves from her mane, the darling scowls heartily at the branch for its unjust and sudden betrayal. Rising all the way to her feet, she stomps over to it haughtily, the pearls Ultima had given her at her birth jangling around her ankle, where she was keeping them safe, until the cremello filly had grown in a proper set of antlers.

How rude, sir!” she condemns of the imaginary-fellow of a branch, giving it a playful shove, “Taking a nap in the middle of a dance floor. Who does somethin’ like that, anyway?

Art by neverrmind @ DA
Hold onto this lullaby, even when the music's gone.

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

"Perhaps he wanted to slow dance, and did not know how to ask you."

I would like to say my voice precedes my body; it does not. There is a more than minimal chance the filly sees me before I speak. From the edge of the clearing I watch, entranced, as the child twirls and danced, her youthful abandon and un-self-conscious affect enviable. Garbed in gold and cream, like me, the child nonetheless seems at home in a way I never have- not here, not since I was the filly's age. The Edge has not embraced me into its misty arms; it rejects me, marking me as outlier, as other, and I comply with this judgment by standing apart. Even in autumn, when the trees are garbed in fire and gold, I am a bright brand on the horizon, woefully incapable of anything resembling camouflage.

This is alright. Natraj has a plan, you see, and like many of his plans, it involves me making a fool of myself as I attempt to socialize, exposing myself to a stranger and praying they look upon me with mercy, if nothing else. I protest this plan. It's foolish, I tell him, And I don't want to meet the filly. This is a lie- I do want to meet the girl who dances in the woods, her voice and body a flash of memory, a ghost of youth and cousins and happier times. I want to tell her about other nymphs, other flames that flickered once within these woods. I want to be her, to be her youth and merriment, her innocence and insolence. I yearn for her, for the child who was left behind in the dark.

Where did that girl go?

Natraj knows I feel this way; he feels no guilt disregarding my protests, which is not unusual for my brother. I roll my eyes as he bounds away, his small dark body far stealthier than mine, his flame-tipped tails waving eagerly in his wake. With a sigh, I stride forward, my voice an alto chord on the cool autumn air, my expression something I pray resembles kindness, mirth. A smile flickers at the edge of my lips, broadening as I catch a glimpse of tails darting toward the offending branch. Perhaps, if the girl continues to look at me instead of the tree, my brother's marvelous plan will come to fruition after all.
- Tandavi -
I'll light a fire in your new shoes - look out that your soles don't burn to the floor

Image Credits

accidentally posted this too soon so it's awkward and short xD OH WELL
@Maude do you want to be tagged? <3

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie

Though Maude hears the hoof beats of another approaching before she hears them speak, she doesn’t really bother looking around at them, too enthralled with her imagined game to be worried about who was going where in the Edge today. She figures it isn’t anyone she knows, anyway. So, when that set of hoof beats becomes a voice, answering the very question that the cream darling had just asked the inanimate stick, she looks over to the speaker with some measure of surprise.

It’s not fear that bleeds across her face, the naïve trust of a child forbidding such a dark sensation; rather, her doll’s features take on a startled sort of expression which immediately blooms into a broad smile, and eagerly sparkling eyes. Dancing about on her dainty hooves to more fully face the stranger, her pale tail lifts in friendly cheer, ginger rimmed ears lifted. On immediate inspection, Maude determines the woman to be less beautiful than her mother, but far more interestingly decorated; her pale mane was adorned with lots of baubles and objects so numerous that the cremello doll is sure she’d never be able to count them all, and her coat shimmered with flecks of gold. Mildly disconcerted by the deep, black wells of the stranger’s eyes, Maude tries her best to look at the stranger’s face without having to look in the strange, dark wells. Tandavi’s unusual gaze, however, was not enough to suppress the young doe’s flamboyant friendliness.

Oh, hello!” the cherub chimes, trailed by her childish giggle, light and easy. Liking the idea of a grown up, especially a pretty one, playing her game, Maude glances back at the stick most coyly, before looking back to Tandavi with a bright grin. “Do you think so? It’s quite unorphaned-ox for a lady to ask a gentleman to dance…

Her casual failure to use the right word goes unnoticed. Being in the presence of an older lady made Maude feel as if she had to compensate by flaunting a vocabulary she hadn’t mastered yet. She also doesn’t notice Natraj, for all her efforts to impress the copper mare.

Think I should anyway?” she playfully questions, yellow-green eyes sparkling.

[ OOC: Yes please! ]

Art by neverrmind @ DA
Hold onto this lullaby, even when the music's gone.