the Rift

[OPEN] Atlantis

Orithia Posts: 59
Outcast atk: 7.0 | def: 10.0 | dam: 3.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 4 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Eris
Her first reunion within Helovia's borders hadn't been one she was expecting.

In truth, the woman wasn't sure what she had expected to emerge from the foliage and thick tangle of vines within that endless forest, but a familiar face had been a slight shock. Despite all that, though, it had been a pleasant enough meeting, the sands-claimed stallion had at least learned enough from his new title and herd to keep his beastly side under wraps. A small smile toyed with the edges of the mare's lips as she wondered at what might make that beast show it's hand once more.

With a sigh that felt more like a prayer, Orithia found that her steps had lead her to the ocean - as they seemed to do increasingly in the last few weeks. The smile across her face grew wistful and her gaze distant as she wondered at that Daughter of Spring and her gentle Goddess, at the future that she had spread before Orithia like a map, at the beauty of those eyes and those lips and how the three syllables of her name had been like a drink to the thirsty.

Cerridwen had seenher lay bare, seen the heart flayed and shattered upon it's own barbs and offered only council and acceptance - had taught the mare that the only home there was, the only home that mattered could be found in oneself. She had taught Orithia to love herself shamelessly and without apology, to accept the prickly thorns and soft petals for what they were; to feel secure in her judgment of her own self and not look for approval or appreciation at the behest of others.

For that, the winged woman owed Spring's Daughter all of her life and all of her love.

A chuckle sprang from blushed lips and pastel eyes sparkled with the memory of joy - strange to think that love only found her when she had stopped searching for it.

@Graasvoel or @Tembovu OR MAYBE EVEN @Rexanna

WHOEVER MAYBE EVEN ALL OF THEM IDC
[Image: ypCJIiV.png]
Honestly, kick her ass at any time. Seriously.
Any and all aggressive and non-aggressive contact permitted.
Please no permanent injury or death. We'll get to that part at some point.
xoxo

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
He searched for his son. Both he and Rexanna had searched, but at some point she needed rest whereas the Elephant King was more accustomed to long bouts of sleeplessness. In some twisted, sad way, his insomnia had prepared him to search for his missing son. Or, at least, it allowed him to search far longer than most. And so his seeking brought him south of the Edge’s borders, to the ocean’s gentle tides. A place that was riddled with memories; Rexanna’s early and foolish promises, Katua’s brush with death by sea predators… The wind was cool, crisp, and briny. And sorrowfully bare of any familiar scent—

But that was not true. His thick, black nostrils flared, heavy head raising as his great ivory hooves sunk through the dunes’ deep sand. There was a scent tangled amid the sea’s bouquet that was known to the stallion. Well known. Intimately known.

Thick legs of ivory and ebony pause for a moment, hoof dangling in midair. Orithia. His dove. A woman who had brought him moments of shared euphoria; yet had caused him months of pained and lonely rejection. He blinked once, broad chest expanding as he took another deep breath of salty air—making sure that it was her.

And then his legs hastened their churning of the loose sand. He crested the last of the dunes, head raised and eyes searching—there. The blushed dove stood along the shore, and the wind brought the faint sound of her chuckle to his searching ears.

Njiwa?” The briny breeze ripped his low call from thick, black lips. His steps slowed, ears pricked forward and neck outstretched towards her. Though he kept his distance as he slowly made his way onto the hard packed, wet sand of the tide’s edge.

“You left.” Of all the words to fall from his deep voice, it was this accusation that fell first. What the King truly meant was ’You left me.’ But there was too much hurt, pain, and dissension to lay such a personal statement on the salty shores. So his legs stopped, a wide distance between the Elephant and the dove, navy eyes unblinking at her coral depths.
Tembovu & Orithia
an Elephant and his Dove

@Orithia

Please tag Tembovu.

Orithia Posts: 59
Outcast atk: 7.0 | def: 10.0 | dam: 3.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 4 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Eris
The day was full of surprises, it seemed.

Eyes were focused upon the horizon and the late afternoon sun, the sea breeze filled with brine and the faded scents of faraway lands. The gentle wind ruffled her feathers and ran careful hands through her shortened tail and intricately plaited mane. The mare felt words rise in her throat, whispers of thanks and actualization; a monologue to reinforce what was real and what was just memory, what was important and what she needed to let go of.

Yet she was interrupted by a voice.

She did not hear his approach, nor catch his scent upon the back of the breeze, but still he was there. Orithia didn't have to turn to know that it was the Elephant King, did not have to see or touch or smell him know that it was undeniably, inexplicably him. For a moment, anger swelled within her breast - unspeakable rage battling with a sense of betrayal so profound that she was sure she might not be able to speak again. Through her mind flashed images and impressions, memories of the short and bittersweet time the pair had spent together;

Blood and sweat and violent, vibrant battle.

His head hanging low upon an icy river bank, he won't be lonely for long.

Skin on skin, thrilling relief and understanding as he helps her shoulder the weight of her heart.

Tears and another frigid pool, souls shared and naive love confessed.

Fear, anger, broken trust, and yet another woman impregnated by him - the one who sought to share her bed and the bed of others.

Pride in his actions, in his crown - her mfalme the Elephant Warrior uniting the people.

Loyalty and dedication tossed to the wayside in lieu of more important tasks, more important women.

Understanding. Final, absolute understanding that he cannot stomach her in her entirety - he hadn't the time or will to. He hadn't the desire to.

Slowly, so slowly, Orithia turned her delicately sculpted body toward the stallion who she thought she had loved, toward the man she had given her heart's hope to - only to have him drop it. After the long months, after the conscious dismissal of his affections, after forcing away the beautiful, imposing silhouette, seeing those cobalt eyes nearly tossed her into a spiral of ruination. Pain lanced through her chest - as if the barbs she had banished were returning to her heart, their wicked points threatening to tear away all she had accomplished.

Clenching her jaw, the pale woman breathed deep, ignoring the way his scent was now discernible, how her entire being reacted to it in a way that was far from angry. She had to remind herself who she was, who she had become in that absence. Who she no longer was.

Moments passed with only the soft hissing of the tide, millennia passed between the two lovers, friends, allies, strangers.

At last, Orithia found her voice, Jalala," she knew the switch to her native Uumalahn would be noticed by the great brute, knew he would understand the symbolism behind the separation of their language. “I left to discover what else could be found in me, and," that melodic voice was soft, gentle, forgiving, "I learned that I am no broken dove to be coddled and cured by a man fascinated by fixing things. I know now, Tembovu, I understand what you tried to do for me. I appreciate it, I do, but I..."

She had to stop there, the emotions were threatening to leak through the cracks in her bones, through her skin. Would he be able to tell that it was killing her? The distance between them? The hurt in his eyes and the way that final word to his sentence floated unheard and unsaid through the air? You left me you left me you left me. Could he see the way the pain in the base of her spine crawled it's way to her skull at the way she was forcing herself to let him go? Would he understand that she couldn't be with him if he was dreaming of someone else?

Her muscles were taught, her body misinterpreting the emotional agony as an outside factor and preparing her to fight her way out of such terror.

“I cannot be one of your many," Her voice rang clear and defiant over the waves, a flash of tears in her eyes that she refused to let spill over, “I know my value, Tembovu, and I know that I do not exist for your pleasure or your pain. I am not a notch in your belt, I am not your pet project." Tail lashed against her flanks and her wings raised slightly, an unconscious increase of size, a primal instinct borne of fear - but of what? His reaction? Her own?

“I give my all to the one I love, I expect all of them in return, but you, Jalala, cannot give me everything. You were always too busy giving yourself away to those who had hurt you only to hurt them in return," The pain in her voice was evident now, but so was the anger and the betrayal - the wicked knives that had slid between her ribs ever since the moment she realized that while he might claim her as his, he would never be hers, not in the same way. “I won't let myself be hurt by you anymore. I deserve a love that is freely given, not rationed out to the prettiest face or the most pregnant - you don't get to play god with me anymore."

“Talkie.”
Tembovu & Orithia
A Dove and her Elephant
imageimage

@Tembovu OH GOD
[Image: ypCJIiV.png]
Honestly, kick her ass at any time. Seriously.
Any and all aggressive and non-aggressive contact permitted.
Please no permanent injury or death. We'll get to that part at some point.
xoxo

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
listen to this when you read it ;-;

Silence shouldn’t have a weight.

It is a sound—or the absence of it. And yet, more often than not, silence is heavier than anything one could ever attempt to hold. But silence is not something that one can simply drop, like any other heavy load. Even if broken by sound (—the crashing waves, the keening gulls—) the phantom weight lingers on the ears, the mind, the soul. The absence of sound unfilled with words that could (or should) have been spoken; things one wished to say—or wished to know to say.

But it isn’t. It is left empty and oppressive for the elephant and dove to accept and carry.

Black rimmed ears tilt back, as silence stretched; but his navy gaze does not waver from his probing stare into her coral eyes. Until she speaks, “Jalala.” His ears swing forward as she speaks a language he does not know. His face remains blank save for a crease of the thin, black skin around his dark eyes and a slight purse of his lips. She left—he had not seen her in seasons—and the first thing she says to him is in another language? Something he cannot possibly understand?

The Elephant is surprised at the trickle of coldness that pools in his chest in response to her word. Rather, he is surprised that, after not seeing Orithia (not knowing if she was alive, safe, or had succumbed to her own demons) that this is her greeting and this is his reaction to it: coolness. So he, still shouldering its unbearable weight, remains silent.

“I learned that I am no broken dove to be coddled and cured by a man fascinated by fixing things.”

And it must not be enough for the dove to stop at chilling his chest (—her influence runs so much deeper than that) because with these words his thick hide twitches at the sickness that fills his barrel. His jaw clenches slightly, navy eyes blinking slowly; and, as the black lids rise, his gaze is cast to the shells tumbled by waves rushing on the shore. The shells’ small worlds heaved and upended by a force larger than they could ever conceive.

Perhaps if the shells could grasp the immensity of the ocean (if darkening cobalt eyes could look at the breaking, blushed face), then they might accept the toppling of their world (he might understand that this was a necessary pain).

But they didn’t.

”I cannot be one of your many.” This is a declaration, different than the soft, but devastating, blows from before. And her avowal continues, peppering his hide with shrapnel as it twitches when particularly repulsive sentiments hit him: ”I do not exist for your pleasure”; ”I am not a notch in your belt”; ”I am not your pet project”. His ears twitch as they hear the sharp slap of her tail against her flanks. It is a sound, combined with the rustling feathers that marked the rise of her wings, that resonates in his ears at the meaning behind the motion (fear).

And the Elephant’s mind, begins to close her off. In some sort of self defense against the onslaught of pain (because truths provide the most excruciating pains). And his heart, floundering amid churning tides of pain, hurt, and anger, pounds a rhythm against his ears and behind his dark, creased eyes. And, even after she finishes speaking words that drip in her own pain (drops that add deluges to his own tides)—it was strange, to have this sensation of drowning when all things in the Elephant were usually filled with heat and fire.

And so, beneath this flood, his low voice begins to speak on its own accord. Hoarse and deep and hitching only once (on a word that means so much to the man), “You had no right to send her away. A woman with my children in her—a woman I love, and who has given me the chance to show that love. And has forgiven that love, for all its faults and flaws. Not abandon or throw it to the wind when it was broken—as I did not throw you—“ and his voice finally breaks and fell silent. That heavy, heavy silence.

Still, his gaze does not meet hers. (It is too filled with the sights of their last encounter—filled with promise and acceptance and hope.) Though his breaths are deep, chest expanding full as if to supply oxygen against the flood that threatens to engulf him. Dark eyes stare, unseeing at the turbulent waves as they broke over far-off rocks. Ears are tilted back, almost quivering against the suppressed anger which had, thus far, been held in check by the wounds of her words.

But a particularly large wave crashes over the rocks and navy suddenly flares and swings to blushed rose. His head rose slightly, neck hardening beneath the defiant insults she had thrown at him. “I am glad you can so easily choose to not be hurt. I cannot claim the same; perhaps because, even though I ‘cannot give everything’ —I have lost too much for that— what I have given was true and deep and honest. I never wanted to play god, Orithia,” he uses her name for, as she said, she no longer was a broken dove—not longer his dove, “I wanted only to give you love when you had none.”

And, again, heavy silence.
Tembovu & Orithia
an Elephant and his Dove

@Orithia
;-;
have all my tears

Please tag Tembovu.