the Rift

[OPEN] bait with honeysuckle catch with smiles [Howl Capture]

Aisling the Fae Posts: 112
Absent Abyss atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 13.1 :: 6 :: Birdsong HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Sorcha :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath Laine
 don't get lost in my lyrics
you won't find your way out

She had noticed the handsome fellow wandering the wilds an followed him for a time; partialy to satisfy her curiosity and partially to work on her skills in going undetected. She'd been working with her power, testing its limits and the little fae was gaining confidence in  her ability to control what others head as well as saw, and it turns out it was quite simple to sing heself both invisible and silent if she focused correctly. The biggest challenge was keeping young sorcha entertained as she worked, but the pint-sized dragonling was rather enthrawled with her bonded's task, thinking it a fine game indeed. 

So this stallion had seemed as good a mark as any since he was so easy on the eyes (not that Aisling was in the market for a beau, but she appreciated good looks wherever she found them) and the pair set to follow and watch. Soon enough it seemed evident that he was alone, and that put a pang on the little mare's heart, she'd wandered alone and aimless for a time and wouldn't with it on a soul. 'We should see if he'll come home with us, mo chroi.' Aisling told her little companion and Sorcha was delighted enough at the prospect of a new friend that the mare set he plan into motion.

When the stallion wandered close enough to her home, she sent her magic out to find him and draw him close

"A wanderer, fair wanderer
with none to call his own
did take the road that led him far
followed path of land and star
till weak and weary boned

But will-o-wisp, small will-o-wisp
did know where he to go
there was a land of peace and rest
a valley bright she did love best
to cease his to and fro

Northward, ever northward
she caused his path to rise
moving earth and tree and air
one way blocked and one way bare
till she could meet his eyes."

She altered his path, or at least the look of it, throwing up illusions of rocks and trees and other obstacles to herd the stallion to where she waited for him; if her heard her song, there were no words in it, only a quiet and enticing melody the try and set his mind at ease. She had positioned herself just south of the entrance to her home in the narrow dip between hills. Despite the season, the clouds had broken to offer a few rays of late morning sun upon the spot. At her side, the wee dragon swung contentedly at the end of her braided mane. When Aisling spotted the stallion, she smiled, warm as you could wish. "Good morrow! I am Ailsing of the Aurora Basin. Who might you be?" 

ooc:: @Howl Hello Sen!!  We noticed your thread in the threshold sort of trailed off so Aisling would like to invite Howl to join the Aurora Basin!
art by imi
[now come the days of the dreamer and they are filled with wonder and light ]
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Aisling in all posts ::

Howl Posts: 14
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4
Sen
   The last few months of his life had been fairly mundane—eat, wander, sleep, rinse and repeat. As he had more or less relinquished any desire for company long ago, Howl had found this vast and strange land to be perfect place to retreat deep inside of himself. The grey meditated deeply on his situation, and his consequent exile; he thought a lot about how his sister fared (oh, how his heart ached for her!), or how his brother was holding up. Sometimes, he would wonder if they resented him, or even hated him, but those poisonous thoughts were as transient as dragonflies in the summertime—after all, they were suckled by the same dam, and she would certainly not condone any ideas of the sort milling about in the heads of her children.
   As the green leaves turned red as blood on the creaking branches of trees, and the days grew short and dark, Howl found himself becoming increasingly restless. Some animal instinct in the primal backwaters of his brain was telling him to find shelter before the snow began falling, and the frost bore into his bones. Perhaps as a result of this, he began to notice a little white body in the very corners of his eyes; however, this impression was always fleeting and always left him quite doubtful of his sanity. One grey day, as he wandered through a seemingly endless field skirted by a snow-capped mountain range, Howl heard a song echoing through his psyche as if it was a wind rattling through a narrow berth in trees. Concern twisting his pale features into a grimace, the silver stag stopped dead in the middle of whatever path he followed today, wondering if this incessant wandering was driving him mad. His lion's tail gave a feeble flick.

Suddenly, he was compelled to go towards the mountain-range, which was somehow crowded by a very pleasant and very sunny wood. For hours, it seemed, he went through this quaint forest, filled with wonder at how lovely and spacious it was. He traced a well-worn path, cloven hooves sinking comfortably into the soft loam. After what felt like miles, a sunlit glen glittered between the long bodies of trees ahead of him, beautiful and enticing—in fact, he hadn't been so interested in anything ever before. His lean legs clattered into a lumbering canter, tearing through the underbrush until his previously shadow-spotted body gleamed with the warm afternoon sunlight of the clearing.
   All four of his hooves dug into the ground, dragging his body into an unceremonious halt—his eyes boggled; his lips drew back in an absurd expression of surprise. Before him, bathed in perfect angelic light, was a pale mare accompanied by some sort of strange green bird. Howl blinked hard several times, attempting to gain control of his rapidly throbbing heart. Aisling's question was left unanswered for several moments as he scrambled to make sense of the situation. Was she a goddess? A fairy? Could she be the Many-Faced Witch, finally luring him to his fate? The hair on his neck went on end when he thought if this—he thought the anonymity of his foreign land granted him safety from the crone, but he knew that she had as many spies as she had faces. At any rate, there was no use in being impolite, so he haphazardously gathered whatever was left of his wits and attempted a forced smile, eyes still gleaming with both wonderment and suspicion. "Howl," he answered, referring to his name. "Are you going to eat me?"

[how thoughtful <33 sorry for the wait - exams have been kicking my butt!]
@Aisling
[Image: FjjyuiY.gif]

He was a curious thing; striking to be sure as more than a few of misfeatures were unusual to Aisling. She’d been antlers and she’d seen horns, but never the two types paired, and the stallion’s odd configuration of scruff around his mantle was odd, but not at all unattractive. It worked, she thought, as a whole to create a rather exotic picture and an handsome one at that. Though Sorcha could not use words yet, not even through their bond, Aisling still felt the curiosity and let the little dragon push focused images into her mind: first the stag’s crowned brow flitted in her mind’s eye and then her own smooth forehead and Aisling understood the question “He’s a unicorn, Sorcha, like Johnny and Larue.”she explained and the dragon signed in understanding. As it happens, the little green sprite’s mistress was the only non-unicorn she’d seen, so the dragon was under the impression that her mistress was quite special.

The crowned stag seemed a little confused, a little suspicious, but Aisling didn’t hold that against him—it must be a strange thing to be let down a path with no say in the matter and find a little mare and her dragon waiting for you at the end of it. But he smiled, not a very easy one, but Aisling appreciated the effort, there were plenty who would have tuned nasty in an instant and that only increased the witchling’s determination to win him over. She smiled at Howl when he gave his name, the stretch of lips warm and bright and when his question fell upon her ears she laughed. She sound was rich in delighted amusement and still smiling she shoot her head.

“Nay sir, I have not the slightest intention of eating you or anyone.” he voice trailed in a chuckle, the idea was really quite silly, who would look at little Aisling and think ‘Ahh, there’s a vicious cannibal for certain!’ She continued her voice seen as the sunlight around her. “I am sorry if I startled you…And I’ll admit to leading you here, but rest assured I mean you no harm. As I said, my name is Aisling and this is Sorcha, my companion.” She motioned her nose toward the swinging dragon; Sorcha, recognizing her own name, trilled a happy hello and waved with one of her tiny paws. “I have noticed you wondering the forests alone—” She offered a sheepish grin. “Well, alright, I must confess I did follow you some, but secrets and stealth are my trade and that I shan’t apologize for. It seems as though you’ve been on your own a while, it that by accident or by design?”

art by imi
@Howl
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Aisling in all posts ::

Outcast
Sen
   Aisling (was that her name?) offered him a fine smile when she heard his query; it bubbled to a laugh on her lips when she considered it. Howl's ears tipped backwards in a motion which suggested uncertainty, his golden eyes trained intently on the fairy-woman. She answered in the negative, seemingly amused by the situation—but it was a valid question, no? The worried creases of his face relaxed into an expression of curiosity, although the suspicious ears still remained. Without being prompted, Aisling told him of her motives and machinations. As she spoke, the tension seemed to roll off Howl's body like droplets on duck's' wing—he knew for a fact that he was safe today, for he was sure the Faceless Witch was not able to concoct such an innocent story, nor magic such a lovely face. She introduced herself and her verdant friend once more, causing Howl's manner to soften. "Forgive me, I seem to have forgotten my manners." The silver stag tilted his head downwards in an extravagant bow, careful not to cuff the duo with his multitude of horns. "Well met, Lady Aisling and little Sorcha," he said, watching the birdling with evident curiosity; he had never seen such a creature in his four years of living, and greatly relished the novelty.

With a sheepish expression, Aisling confessed that she had been following him. A look of confusion—and then realization—glittered through his eyes. Howl remembered the little visions of white in the corners of his eyes, trailing him like some sort of benevolent phantom. He felt no ill will towards her however, as she seemed quite bashful in admitting her doings; it rather amused him that anyone would find any interest in his daily doings.  "Both," the stag admitted, the tuft of his tail flicking lightly as if underlining his statement. A shadow seemed to pass over his face for a moment, his eyes somber as if considering past ills—at that moment, the tail cuff felt ever so heavy. "I needed a little time to think," Howl said finally, glancing furtively at Aisling as if he had confessed to a crime. But like a spectre, the impression of sadness was gone, leaving no traces but an inquisitive expression; the faint light of a smile peeked between the dark clouds of his face. He remained thoughtful for a moment, watching the little mare with interest.  "If I may ask, what interest would a master of stealth have in a ghost like me?"  

@Aisling

Sorcha noted his interested glance, for she had a streak of childish vanity, and preened under it. This little dragon had a great liking for receiving attention but was also generous in giving it, she liked nothing better than greeting new friends. Surely in her little mind every creature that lived and breathed was a friend until proven otherwise, and she hadn't been proved wrong so far in her short life. Aisling felt the questioning tug through there bond as the little dragon gazed up at her mistress but Aisling kept her eyes on the stallion for a moment longer. When the stag seemed to relax and bowed to give his own greeting, Aisling was content that the tension had left the meeting and glanced down at Sorcha to give a nod of approval. At that the little dragon gave an excited "preep", shimmied down the long braid to the ground and bounded out of the clearing and out of sight.

The little enchantress regarded the rest of Howl's answers with an understanding hum in her throat. She'd seen the shadow pass over his face and wondered what in his past may have caused it, but that would have been delving deeper than was polite when trying to recruit. Anyone was allowed to have a little sadness in their past, as little struggle, and it seemed that most had more than their fair share, but Aisling was willing to let whatever crossed the stallion's mind stay in the past in hopes of a brighter future ahead. 

"Everyone deserves a little time now and again, Gods know I had my share of wandering" For almost three years she'd been a' roving, through the wilds of the world and into Helovia and that time was not so very long past. Aisling wondered if she'd have settled anywhere if she hadn't met Johnny-if she hadn't gotten with child and come to stay with him here. A wistful, reminiscing look crossed her face but the mare shook if off with a little chuckled and focused her attention again on the here and now. "My herd makes it's home in the Aurora Basin, the entrance being just north of here. It's a good place, but our numbers have been dwindling. I would like to offer you a home, if you'll be wanting one, even a temporary one if that's what's needed." We've a particular need of warrior and Crafters if those might be in intrest to you, but of course you'de be more than welcome to seek only sactuary in our borders if that's what you need."

[ooc: Aisling officially releases her "prisoner", @Howl may join or leave as he chooses.]
art by imi

Outcast
Sen
Howl watched with astounded eyes as Sorcha bounded away from the pale mare with all the grace and agility of a squirrel. What a strange and lovely creature the winged lizard was; he wondered where he could acquire one. Companions were rare from where he hailed, usually restricted to small songbirds or perhaps a stray cat here and there. In his limited wanderings throughout Helovia, however, Howl had observed many of its residents bonded with all sorts of beasts large and small—scaled, feathered and furred, all keen-eyed and devoted to their masters. What would it be like to never be lonely? On one hand, Howl appreciated the silence of isolation and the freedom of thought it granted him, but on another hand, he longed for the warmth only another living creature could offer. He had half a mind to ask Aisling about her experiences, but quickly decided against it.

A wistful look crossed her face, lovely as a passing cloud, one that perhaps recalled a lifetime's worth of adventures. Howl smiled in response, his ears leaning towards her as she described the her home, lying just beyond the mountains they stood under. She mentioned the variety of jobs he could potentially hold—warrior struck a particular chord somewhere in his soul, causing an odd glint to flickers in his golden eyes. Hadn't it been a childhood dream of his to become a knight bedecked in glistening armor? Of course, time had dulled his boyish edges, and life had instilled in him an appreciation for peaceful activities, but the thought of being a warrior still made some part of him thrum with excitement.

The grey considered her offer for a moment, weighing his options with much care. Choosing a home was no light task; if he committed to a herd, it was with every intention of staying. Howl viewed turncoats as the lowest a creature could be without needlessly slaying someone, and vowed to never become one. The tip of his tail twitched in contemplation—he regarded the pale sorceress with a kind eye. "I greatly appreciate your offer," he began, watching her seriously, "but I must consider it further." At this point, the grey offered her an amicable smile. He paused for a moment, collecting his thoughts. "I am afraid my exploratory days are not yet done, but if, come the first snow, I find myself in need of a home, I will think of you and the Basin." I know you will understand.

My sandpaper sigh engraves a line into the rust of your tongue

[Sorry again for the terrible wait! I almost forgot about this thread. :x If you want, we can end here?]

@Aisling