the Rift

[OPEN] old pine

Ultima Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 4
Snapdragon :: Turkish Andora Cat :: None Kairi
ultima
By the time she got back from the Falls, her shoulders were tight, her nose was running, and a thick blot of clouds had eclipsed the harvest moon. The lake lurched out of the shadows. The rain lurched out of the sky, pitter-pattering across the arch of her wings as she sank towards the shore. And in her chest (which suddenly felt much too large for it, like a well to a pebble) her heart lurched out of the long bowed ribs. She tried to pretend it was well within the math of a long solo flight, ducking beneath the woven canopy for shelter; cold air, dizzying drop, navigating only by strange stars – it was thrilling! And frightening! A year ago, she’d never have imagined making it so many miles on her own! 

On her back, Snapdragon mewled softly.

“It is funny, isn’t it?” Just barely graduated from the flight programme, and already she was going farther and farther away from— Home, she thought tentatively. 

The quickness with which it’d become her roosting place astounded her, as if she’d never properly thought about it before. The Edge had always been a pivot for her grand forays into this broad, broad prison. To the Blue, to the Rotunda, to the Meadow: no matter how many miles she trekked, by sundown she’d skip back through the front door, trilling about the things she’d done and seen, tracking sand and primrose petals as she went. She’d become so attuned to the sound of glass crunching underfoot, and the hundred little winding paths that led to her nest in the woods; closing her eyes, she could visualize every knoll and buttress root perfectly, even the ones she hadn’t at one point stumbled over, and especially the one Snapdragon had been born in.

Her contentment was almost overwhelming. She’d learned to fly here; Snapdragon had been born here; Maude had been born here; this was where Tilney was always waiting for her, ready with a smile to hear of her adventures. Without a shadow of a doubt, Ultima knew that she did like it here, in the West.

But.

What was it that the Mountain had said? A place to exist, versus a place to grow? 

Across the lake the rain soared to a crescendo and then dimmed, intermittently. It was peaceful without any wind; she could smell the earth and the plants reaching ever upwards, and if she focused she could hear the last leaves chiming like bells as they shook overhead. Pine trees rattling gently, branches swaying and shaking – beautiful. Snapdragon mewled again, pressing against the arch of her neck.

Was it greed to choose? Was it greed if the only thing she wanted was what she’d lost? Or was it greed because rather than any matter of place, it was Tilney (and Maude and Gawen and Alysanne and Lyanna and) who was not enough?

But. But, but.

“I don’t know.”
command me to be well.

@tilney ;;;;;;;;;;;;;
i've got it down as the basin festival happened first, then the falls meeting a little after, and then this!
please tag ultima in all posts!
force/magic a-ok, shy of killing/maiming her!

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind

Weary and ragged once again, Tilney stood steady among the mighty pine. At least Maude was well fed and probably put to bed by now - most likely under the watchful gaze of Glasgow. Hoofs of marble took him through the tree line, crushing the damp earth beneath as he approached the Lakes water. There was something refreshing about the cold mud against his sore soles and the serenity of the calm lake water lit by only the moon, stars, and glowing lunar butterflies. After so many months of working and running, travelling and healing the flaxen Physician could be alone, stir the surface of the lake pensively and think. Maybe he'd even bathe. The night was warm enough he wouldn't be left a shivering mess afterwards, so a bath wouldn't be bad. To wash some dirt and salt away would be nice at least.

Beginning to wade in, Tilneys eyes closed as the frighteningly cold aqua locked around his joints. It was freezing. Perhaps he'd wait for a warmer night, or better during the day. Now was certainly not the time apparently.
Exhaling tiredly and casting his gaze skywards, yet again his thoughts floated to Arah and where she might be. For minutes he wondered, pondered. Scenarios came and went, he picked and pulled at every one.
She was either in trouble, dead... or had simply wanted to disappear. Tilney knew Arah better than anyone, and he knew that if the Light at Dawn wished to disappear, she could very easily do just that. He did not once see her as being capable of abandoning Maude, especially after what happened to the other girls. Asch and Arwen strode with the gods while Crowley still slithered these lands. Had she sought him out once again? What of Deimos? Thranduil?
The possibilities were endless.

As he gazed into the galaxy, a different sight soon took his focus. That dual-pennoned swan, again lit only by the moon and stars swooped over the very lake he stood in, touching down somewhere just past the tree line. Alph was flying - tilney still couldn't believe it. He was so proud she had made it to the Festival unscathed, but since she had taken flight it seemed she never landed home again. As he stepped along the waters edge in the direction of his friend, raindrops pattered down on his back. Any other night he'd welcome rain, but tonight he really just wished for warmth.
Lantern afire, Tilney strode towards Ultima and cheered on his approach "Alph, my goodness, where have you been?!" He was quite overjoyed to see her really, it had been a long time. The flaxen man greeted her with a kiss to her neck and a gentle embrace before he took a step or two backwards, looking her up and down. "You look well" Tilney observed, hoping she was not injured. Peatree, now awake still hung fron a rung on his antlers. He eyed the lady carefully at first, but soon greeted her with his special upside down, toothy grin.
"You have a new friend?" It did not take long to notice the tiny feline nestled into the swans neck, not long at all. It seemed there was much to learn about her even though it had only been a number of weeks since he had seen her. She was evolving perhaps, Changing into a mare. She really wasn't the filly he had met.

araxel

evolving lol
@Ultima

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Outcast
ultima
The vibrance of the canopy wasn’t lost, even in drab weather; it glowed faintly, like a beacon, and she made her way underneath it as the branches rattled and the lake popped and sang with rain. It was beautiful. That was always one of the first words that came to mind when she thought of the Edge. Lush forests, a lake like a mirror. The pale cliffs that dropped sheer to the ocean below, where she’d first learned to fly. There must have been hundreds of different paths through the trees, leading down to the rocky coast, and then the gardens! The frosted greenhouse! The herbs in their little glass pots, many of which she’d planted and grown herself, stretching cheerily in the sun! It left so little to be desired, and yet—

And yet.

It was the same old dance. More fiercely than ever she wished she could simply go, click her golden heels, vanish from the equation altogether – it was so much easier in the world where nothing had changed, and decisions like this never made their way to her plate. (What did she eat before? She could still remember the golden apples of promise, water sweet and untainted by worry.) Life could’ve been so small and far-removed. The world could have simply ended at the boundaries of the Wood, or been an hourglass toppling over and over within the never-ending Dream of her Wild God, and she would’ve been happy. “Alph, my goodness!” Fools, she thought with a bittersweet wistfulness, are always happy.

(What did she eat now?) “—Where have you been?”

His touch surprised her; for a moment her face was so blank it was as if she hadn’t recognized him. Then the lantern light washed over her eyes, and she laughed. “Hallo!” she said, tucked under his neck. He smelled like sage and sunshine, and somewhere underneath that was an old, wave-filled memory. Sadness, too. She could feel it heavy in the air around him, as finely-woven as the cloak slung around his shoulders. When he pulled away, smiling, a bit of that sadness fell over her shoulders, too. She could only smile back. “Hope I didn’t worry you too-too much,” she said softly, as if mindful of the hour. “Flying’s an awful lot of fun, would you believe? I wish you could try it, it’s … How’s our Maude? Oh, that’s Snapdragon – Snapdragon, say hello—” 

Yes to the forests. Yes to the lake, and the eponymous Edge, and the gardens. These were all pictures and associated scents and textures that flew around her head any moment she thought of this place. But the first word had and would probably always be his name. 

“Tilney,” she said finally. Her smile held, though it hung by safety-pins. “I missed you.” 

(What do crocodiles eat?) “Sorry I was away.”
command me to be well.

@tilney RIP

She was still starlight.
Tilney noticed it when she walked with her gingery steps on dainty toes, legs always straighter and more poised than his - and she still twinkled. The lady's eyes remained aglow.
She was healthy, she was sound.
A great sigh of relief passed through Tilneys lungs, his own pair of bubbly green eyes watching hers joyfully as she cheered her musical Hello. How wonderful it was to hear her voice again - There was no other (except maybe Arahs) that he'd quite like to hear at this moment.

A part of Tilney wished to tell her how desperately dull life had been here without her and also how much he himself had changed. He wished to tell her how angry he had become not just with himself but every being surrounding him, and also how for the first time in his life he found himself melancholy day in and day out, How Maude was really only keeping his head above water.
As he looked at the swans sweet face though, he decided he daren't say a word about it. She had not come to hear him pine about his sudden bout of sadness and anger, she probably just wanted to rest at home after her long journey.

Ah, She had hoped she didn't worry him. Tilney just raised a corner of his mouth just a little bit more and smirked.
Of course he worried.

Did he find himself envious of her yet again? Tilney thought he was far past that, the fact that she was gifted with two pairs of wings yet he had none. It seemed like there was nothing truly like flying, and he could only cast his gaze away from her and hold his smile with the happiness he had left from seeing her well again.

It was fading though; she would always vanish again. When you were equipped with two pairs of wings why on earth would you stay on the ground?

Tilney,
I missed you.
Sorry I was away.

"I missed you too"
The mans gaze finally peeled back to hers, a more genuine smile appearing yet it was filled to the brim with sadness. "Where did you go? Any news?"
Don't leave again.

araxel

rip my face tho bc tears
@Ultima

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Outcast
ultima
There it was. Faster than she thought it’d come, too; she would’ve liked to pretend, for just a few moments longer, that nothing had changed. Oh, don’t, she would’ve liked to say – oh, let’s talk about the weather! The night had been so still for the majority of her return flight, nothing but her pensive white form flitting through the low-hanging clouds, the moon like an old halo overhead; in her heart the rain slicking off the canopy was prime conversation, and her expression took on a strange light with the wanting. But he had asked, and because she loved him she was compelled to answer: “Where did you go?”

And by every tree in her Wood, she would’ve liked to tell him about it, jigging up and down like a child, her voice a force of joy and the thrill of discovery, and there was the lake, and there were aspen leaves, and then they went soaring through the air in whirls and whorls and I, I could not contain myself— How there was nothing quite like her footsteps across the water as she climbed higher into the sky, heart pounding because if she fell, no one would know, no one would catch her. The trees like miniatures underfoot, the earth laid bare like slicks of oil painting. “It was beautiful,” she wanted to say, to tell the story, to begin, again

“It was a wind,” her eyes wide with wonder and mischief, enthralled by her own fairytale, “Found only in dreams.” (And it took me far from you. And it will take me farther still.)

But he had not asked about the wind. 

“I went to the Falls,” she said, her eyes averted to some place suspended in the darkness past his cheek. Not timid. “It was grand.” Not so much subdued. “They’re rebuilding.” Careful, more careful than she ever was when she spoke, and if she had recognized how very much like Minerva she had been in that moment (spine straight and resolute, face sober and terribly adult), she might have fallen with surprise. As it was, she felt like she was dangling high off the ground, at the end of the bedsheets she’d strung together and lashed to her bedpost.

This was a great escape, she told herself. She was stealing her own heart and disappearing into some blinding white sunset in order to become. (Become what? And if this was an escape, then who was she running from? Why? To what end, and oh, sweet thing.)

She inhaled twice, the first shallow. The second was deep, though, and it filled her lungs with the Edge.

“Have you ever been there?”
command me to be well.

@tilney rip rip rip rirprRIRIERIRPRPRIRIRPRPP

It wasn't a complicated task, sifting through each deduction of Ultimas stance and countenance, every word she spoke until eventually calculating what she might be feeling. Tilney could usually tell when there was something on the swans mind, when she was anxious or when she might rather say no but say yes out of politeness.
On others it could be impossible, but with the lady Ultima it wasn't difficult to notice her shifting like disturbed bubbles or her papercut smile.

"Is something upsetting you Alph?" Tilney tilted his cranium, green eyes surveying her own glimmering pair. He gazed at her only with concern and he wished very little to pry - it would bother him however if she were to promise him that she was fine or that nothing caused her smile to tremble or her eyes to wildly dance.

Recalling an earlier query of hers, Tilney finally gave a reply on the subject on Maude and how she was.
"She has grown, made lots of little friends" His timid smile grew wider when he spoke of the one who brought him joy daily; It was just a shame he couldn't bottle it and sip it when he felt as low as he often did these days. He loved that pearl more than he had loved anything.
"She misses you of course... and her mother" And that was virtually his limit on that subject, in fact he had no real clue on how he could tell Ultima that his closest friend, lover and the mother of his daughter had disappeared. Vanished with Tallsuns heat she had, as if she had simply evaporated.

Finally the little swan told him of where she had actually been; The Hidden Falls. His brow now furling and growing more inquisitive, Tilney looked directly at the mare. What on earth would she want with the Hidden Falls?
They're Rebuilding.
"I heard" the chestnut quickly responded. They had been heavily recruiting, he knew that much as well. The idea that Ultima, his Alph, could be leaving didn't begin to cross his mind. However in the very pit of his stomach he felt a tightness; a twinge of jealousy towards the Falls for even having her there?
No; it was because he felt a sneaking suspicion that she was dissolving before his eyes like he was stood watching the wind sweep her way bit by bit like a sand dune. He could feel her slipping away somehow. Was this why she spoke to him differently? Had she come to him sheepishly pressing her face against a window as a stranger rather than stepping in freely to greet him as a friend?

Have you ever been?
The physicians eyes daren't leave hers; he felt her going already. With a beat of her wings she could be off somewhere else, somewhere new.
"It was once my home" He replied cooly "I lived there under Midas the Gallants reign and there begun my healing studies. He died, and so my path lead elsewhere."

araxel

@Ultima

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Outcast
ultima
“I’m going,” she said. It was that easy, and that hard. 

Curled in in her withers, Snapdragon was quiet as if asleep, but his grip on their bond was reassuringly firm. He did not care that he was wet. He did not care that the Tilney, as he’d understood the Tilney to be called, had a mouse in its horns. All he cared about was the girl’s heart, wild as a flock of doves, wild as a storm waiting to burst; holding on tightly, his little claws pressed through the feathers and prickling her skin, he attempted to keep her steady. Baby steps, he seemed to say, their bond hung between them like two cups and a length of string. Because you must. Because you have already chosen.

Ultima, on the other end of the line, smiled tightly in reply.

The sky flashed and her eyes drifted upwards to meet the later thunder, expression transparent as a window is transparent. “It’s a very small herd. They have two Czarinas. One is … Ranjiri. The other they call Mountain,” she said, seemingly speaking more to the weather than to Tilney. Her voice was tired, now, light if only because of the effort it took to stay grounded. She wanted to talk about the Mountain with the same awe she felt for the wind, but a switch had been flipped. She had flipped it, and now she had all the qualities of salt. “The Mountain asked me to stay on.” In the wounds. “As a Medic.” In tears she didn’t have, that she was not allowed to shed.

And why should they be shed? She thought suddenly that it shouldn’t be sad, why should it be sad, a desperate idea that she latched onto out of some distant understanding that this – the rain, the thunder, the canopy fluttering above them – was an ending. Snapdragon’s ears twitched at the shift in her thoughts, and tugged gently, encouragingly. Ends are beginnings, too, they agreed, and smiling softly, Ultima at last met Tilney’s eye. 

“It’s wonderful, isn’t it?” (Please say yes.)

“They’re all very kind, and the Earth God loves them well. I want to start a garden there, like ours, and with a greenhouse, too,” she said, her smile more genuine now. The wind picked up, the tassels on her bridle chiming and glinting as they swayed. “You’ll have to come see it once it’s finished.” (Please.)

“You and Maude, and Arah, too.” (Say yes.)
command me to be well.

@tilney god

I'm going.

Eyes turning to steel as he stood at her throne.
Tilney might worship her into staying - until he himself turned to bronze and she to stone.

Instead he stood still, craning his nose away towards their backdrop. There was nought he could say to her at this moment besides no.
I wont let you, or You are not going anywhere.
Infact even if he could find something perfect to say his voice would fail him; his throat was twisting, knotting and bubbling to the point he was certain if he spoke no voice would come out, only a gargle or a failed yelp.
Swallowing helped of course, but what would help even more? If this just... wasn't happening. He communicated to hr through nothing but a heartbroken gaze, the wires in their minds severed and cut. Tilney was breaking, they were breaking.
Like beestings he glared.

The winged woman who seemed to no longer be his Alph told him of the Falls nowadays. Two Czarinas and one they called The Mountain, and that precious mountain had asked her to stay as an Earth Medic?
This was a name he would remember. The Mountain. The Mountain who had stolen Ultima.
It's Wonderful, Isn't It?
The Earth god loves them well..... You'll have to come and see it.... You and Maude, and Arah too-

"Arah is dead"
The chestnut spat, green gaze panning coldly to the swans. Whether that was true or not, it didn't matter. She was gone and had abandoned them just like his Alph was about to. at least Ultima had the common courtesy of telling him. With a long exhale, he spoke again, hoping to avoid that subject all together now that he had so foolishly brought it up.

"You are not ready Ultima"
he grumbled "What will you do when you are faced w-wi-with a haemorrhaging mare, just given birth to a stillborn foal? What will you do, Ultima?"
You don't know, do you.

"You have grown here. It was here we rescued each other, here we healed.
You learned and are STILL learning how to heal here under these trees, in OUR garden and OUR greenhouse.
You learned to fly from THESE cliffs, and now that you have you chose to leave us grounded behind you"
His words had turned to hisses; he had hardly spoken so callously to snyone before.
Taking a shuddering step closer, Tilney once again looked directly into the lady Ultima, eyes of steel cutting her own.

"I forbid you"

araxel

pass the tissue pls also lol im a poet and i dont know it kapow
@Ultima

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Outcast
ultima
Everything – emotions, questions, confusion, and cycling back to the start – hurtled through her brain so quickly that she could not register them except as bright, strobing color. She could not even say she knew him; her eyes found him familiar, but her mind could not connect those shapes to the gentle, thoughtful man who she had for so long thought of as a walking kindness. He spat at her. He looked at her as no one in her life would have ever dared, even in dreams, and as the coup de grace he spoke what not even Minerva – the battle axe, the chessboard’s indomitable black Queen – dared breathe. At first the girl could not comprehend it, her brows drawn together in bewilderment. 

And then it all clicked into place.

“I forbid you.”

Lightning split the sky above them. In the flash, her face was unrecognizable. Anyone else might have cried, blindsided by the impact. Ultima, however, her chin rising slowly, was not anyone. Hardly a minute ago she had wished that she had been born a bobble-eyed goldfish, swimming round and round beneath the boughs of a lemon tree. But for all her heartache in this godforsaken Helovia, all of the small joys, she had never once forgotten who she was, and more importantly, whom she belonged to. It was not Alph who regarded him then. Even Ultima was secondary. It was the Wild God’s Bride, brilliant and terrible, who looked down at him and asked herself: “What do crocodiles eat?”

The stallion advanced and the Bride did not flinch, even when his breath clogged her nostrils. Immovable as she appeared, there were moments when she felt outside of herself, observing from some vantage point beyond the moon. In that place, she still felt the claw-marks where panic had latched onto her – what was happening? Why was he saying these things? After all he claimed they had been through, how had it come to this? (If you loved me, you would not do this. If you loved me, you would let me go, because love does not belong in any cage but the ribs and even then, the bars are wide.)

On the ground, though, hair plastered to her neck, wither-feathers marshaled like a battalion, these questions of love and circumstance were of no interest. “You forbid me? When you tremble even to speak such words?” On the ground, her only concern was his gross disrespect, and the searing slap of his denial.

“You do not even know who I am.” 

Her elocution had the precision of a scalpel, and she was steady in her rage as he could not be. After all, he was not her model for anger. “You know only who you would like me to be, and that imagining is who you think of when you say, ‘Alph.’” For that, the Lady Ultima turned to Minerva, in whose shadow Tilney’s steel could not even call itself pig iron without crumbling for the audacity of the lie. “But I am not your pet swan.” Her gaze was frigid and untouchable as starlight. Her posture was a true-forged blade, rigid with pride. “That is not my name.” 

And above all, her voice was quiet, so sharp that she need not raise it to draw blood. 

“I was not born to need you.”

Gone was the girl, then, just like the wind that sang her north. What remained was the woman called closest to God (and may He Dream forever of the day You are returned to Him, as He has Dreamt for countless turns of the Wheel), crowned silver with lightning. She did not notice the air crackling around her, forming loose shapes that burst before they could stabilize. The Bride saw only the doctor, and for a moment she thought to relent, to remind him, softly, that, “When the herbs crowd their pots, we replant them happily. We do not punish them for growing; it is their right to strive for the sun.”

But he had not relented for her, and Ultima's heart hardened. 

“You cannot keep me.”
command me to be well.

@tilney this came out much harsher than i thought it would and that makes me want to rewrite it BUT i'll leave it bc this was my gut feeling

:: [ Magic: LightxTime | Can summon creatures made of stars that burn when touched. ]
:: [ Restrictions | Can summon 3 small or 1 large creature. The longer and larger the summons the more concentration required. ] * reacting to her emotions; not doing anything aside from partially manifesting

Her cool, grey words gave the first cut. It felt like a wrenching slice over his chest as she watched him without a flinch. How easily she spoke down to him.
"You do not even know who I am"

"And the one they call The Mountain does? Did you divulge your every secret to your precious Czarina?" The stag a-rage nearly laughed at the notion that anyone in this land could know her better than he did. If this was how she wished to part with him, so be it. The guilt and wonder would be left on her conscience for eternity - it was out of his hands now.

More venom dripped from her ever clean teeth, calmly hissing how she was no pet and Alph was not her name. Again, the words drew a knife into his skin. Did she enjoy harming him, making him feel this way? Maybe it was not just a childish reaction but the truth. His own expression remained as cool as he could manage, angry eyes stuck for as long as he could possibly manage on hers.

"You cannot keep me"

"You claim to be so foreign to me yet when you ask after my daughter you say 'Our Maude'? Which are you Ultima, a snake who is pretending to be a pillar in my family or just plain juvenile because I disagree with you and this is your unearthly version of a tantrum? Your words hurt me, I cannot deny that, but there is so much fault in them I can only accept them as lies."

His footfalls took him away from Ultima, towards the edge of the clearing in which they stood.
"If you speak the truth, however..."  his voice became a dark rumble "I will never make the mistake of allowing my daughter near a stranger ever again"
"From this day on you will be a stranger to Maude. You shall never see her again"

"Go"

araxel

SCREECH (and noo ur fine!)
@Ultima

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Outcast
ultima
“The Mountain did not presume. The Mountain did not say to me, ‘I command you: stay.’ She asked, and I gave answer. And you?” The air sparkled again, cast in the shapes of birds. “You forbid me.” A burst of blue sparks. “You fear loss above all things on this earth. You hold what you love so closely you risk smothering it.” A feather, sizzling as it fell to the earth.

“So you lie to yourself,” she said finally, and the air went still, her magic receding. She could not help but think that he looked terribly pathetic in his anger – it didn’t merit her scorn, because he was still love to her, but it evoked a bone-deep sadness, so deep she could have drawn from it like a well. This was beyond her expectation. Whether it was the hour or the season, or circumstances outside of her knowing, she had thought, at least, that he would have some support for her. But he had thrown the first stone. “You insult me, again and again.” She was not at fault for defending herself when the first words to his mouth were not of his fear – which she could have understood if he had only admit them to her – but her so-called folly.

And how will we know? How, if we don’t try? If she had never been taken from her home, if she had never met that crocodile’s stare across the blazing miles of the Flats, if she hadn’t wandered aimlessly for a year, searching for nothing – she wouldn’t have met him. Everything that built up to this moment was a dance of trial and error, but he couldn’t bear to believe that she knew the steps. She could feel it strongly, even through her indignation that he would dare reach for her wings with intent of clipping them – 

He did this out of love. And, Love, she thought, unblinking, was such an ugly thing. She wondered if she should have screamed, too.

But she was deathly calm, the glass between them streaked with rain. Snapdragon mashed his face against the side of her neck, staring solemnly at the Tilney. At that moment, the girl’s heart was so far the cat could barely see it through a telescope; he could only feel the jitter in its orbit, struck off-kilter by the threats, the ready poison. “If you think me a snake now, then a snake I shall be. I shed my skin and I grow, as you would will me not to, as you would will Maude not to.” And yes, he agreed, slowly closing his eyes. “You keep her, Tilney, as long as you can.” Love is such an ugly, ugly thing. 

“I’ve never sought to own either of you, or be your foundations.” (I am only a star you might see by. I am only a crocodile, watching, waiting.)

“Goodbye.”

Unfolding her wings and averting her eyes at last, she ducked beneath the canopy and back into the downpour, to the shore. For a time she stood there, her gaze raised to the heavens, as if searching for a sign. Then there was a breath, a lull in the pattern of raindrops—

And she was gone. 
command me to be well.

@tilney and that's that ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;