the Rift

winter winds

Skadii Posts: 4
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3hh :: 6
Minx
Skadi

She is nameless now, a faceless entity amongst the masses, and in that, there is liberation. It had been easy to leave. With all the love that she felt for Aqueous, she still couldn’t stay any longer. Everything she held dear lays buried now beneath the sand, a mere memory now. The blue eyes she would drown herself in are gone.. There is nothing left of that time but a strained relationship with an estranged child. A bitter chuckle passes from her lips. There is much she has done wrong in her life and Cotovatre surely can be added amongst her sins. What has been done is done and she cannot dwell upon the mistakes of days long gone. Too many times has she sat and contemplated the should have dones, the could have beens.. It will never bring back what has been lost or fix what has been damaged.. In this she finds peace.

Skadi is unsure of where she treads now. The isle of Pantheon has been long since left behind. Both of her eyes drift over the landscape and take in the details of it. There is quiet and a slow evening breeze sends a chill down her spine. Slowly she closes her eyes and scents, seeking out the potential company of another. Yet there seems to be no one. She steps quietly and seeks out shelter for the night, her leonine tail twitching behind her as she goes. Both of her eyes rove over the tree line, seeking a grove or clearing with a pond to settle beside. Exhaustion begins to creep on her muscles and she knows it is time to rest soon. "talk talk talk"

Coding by Tamme for selkie | Image by beccaespi

all my sweet memories were buried in the sand

♕ please tag skadii in all replies
♕ force permitted.
♕pixel by p-ond@dA

Ultima Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 4
Snapdragon :: Turkish Andora Cat :: None Kairi
ultima
“More than miles.” That’s what she thought about, when she thought about crossing the border. Tilney and Tembovu and countless others had spoken of places beyond the Threshold, but Ultima in her child’s way knew that what separated her from the Wood and the Altar and her God (may He Dream forever) was not a distance that could be covered by muscle or determination. It was a magic thing that drew her here. Only a magic thing could take her back. And although she’d resigned herself to this, she couldn’t quite help the small, stubborn hope that if she flew high enough, or long enough into the East, eventually the wooden temples of her childhood (and that, too, was more than miles away) would come into view and she would feel light again.

As it was, she had seen trees, and mountains, too, but not the ones she’d been looking for. Suppose you can’t blame a body for a trying, she thought, though she supposed she couldn’t blame a heart for wanting – and then deflating – either. 

But she would not be shaken. There was far too much work to be done in the Falls; just as she’d thrown herself into the routine of the Edge, her new position as a Medic – no longer an apprentice, skipping and laughing after Tilney much like Maude did – strengthening her resolve. They had to take inventory of the Falls’ herb supply. They had to start laying plans for expanding the gardens once Birdsong returned to the earth. And speaking of Earth, rebuilding and restoring the tired grounds, making way for the temple, checking on the health of the workers – it was busy! Too busy to be sad! So in spite of the longing, the girl gave a smart little flip of the head, turned against the wind, and began her return flight. 

“Oh!” It was while hunting for a quick sip of water that she happened on the mare, who aside from the long flaxen hair, just might have been an ice sculpture. The crystals jutting from the woman’s spine winked in the light as it filtered through the trees, drawing Ultima’s attention as one might draw a magpie; she stopped rather short as she entered the clearing, smiled, and dropped into a neat curtsy. “Hallo! Would you mind if I joined you? It’s hardly a downside, but flying always makes me abominably thirsty.”
dear god, make me a bird so i can fly far away from here

@Skadii HELLO FRIEND XO @Darwin + @Zekle might be joining us, if that's cool!! super great to see you here tho aaa
please tag ultima in all posts!
force/magic a-ok, shy of killing/maiming her!

Darwin Posts: 74
World's Edge Protector atk: 5.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.0
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 4 Years (Ages in Birdsong) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Antaa :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix Skylark
You found the secret,
you’d kill it
just to keep it.
The pegasus had met Zero briefly after the herd meeting, and there was something in him that admired the young man – whether it be the challenges he faced or how welcoming everyone seemed to be in his presence, Darwin found himself gravitating ever closer to the one-winged boy. It was when an idea sparked in his mind of getting to know the boy a bit better – asking him to accompany him and Antaa (his phoenix companion that had a strangely large admiration for people) to the Threshold. And soon, it became the time they needed to head out on their adventure.

Darwin was in a rather pleasant mood, and whether that was due to Antaa happily chirping in the nest she had made herself where Darwin’s wings folded up on his spine or the relatively short distance it took them to get to the Threshold, he wasn’t sure. Simply, Darwin was able to carry the conversation – a gentle smile across his bearded grey maw with a new found friend in the Mason.

Water.” Antaa cooed into the bond. Darwin’s river stone gaze trailed from Zero and the world around him to focus more on searching for a pond of some sort. He wasn’t all that thirsty, but Antaa had a tendency to know just before he was feeling parched. His head shifted toward his company and with a gentle smile he tried to seek out the boy’s gaze. “Are you thirsty? Maybe we should look for water.” He questioned, and then mused, shifting his path toward where he imagined water might be. It took some time before they arrived, but eventually they had came into a slight clearing with the sound of water and voices.

Darwin’s gaze searched the tree line before breaking it as Antaa perched herself atop his withers, her ruby head swiveling in search for others she might be able to befriend. That was when Darwin broke through the line of trees and shrubbery and spotted a vaguely familiar mare and what appeared to him as a stranger. The man raked his brain over and over, searching crevices for her name when Antaa chirped a brisk “Ultima” into his mind. Mentally, he thanked the phoenix before grinning to Zero and looking toward Ultima and the stranger. “Hello!” He began, stepping a bit closer into the circle, making room for Zero for introductions. Dipping his head briefly to Ultima then to the stranger Antaa chirped her own hello to them. “I’m Darwin.” He felt it easier to leave of the words ‘from the Falls’ if they all were from the land. So he stood pleasantly, waiting quietly as Antaa fluffed her feathers and let her gaze dart excitedly along the group.

"Talk."
darwin & antaa
image credits

omg its awful I apologize, @Zekle if you want me to change anything lemme know <3
@Skadi @Ultima

Pixel by BronzeHalo @ Deviantart

Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Darwin, without killing him.
Please tag in every post!

Zèklè Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 8.0 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 14.1 :: Three HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
charks
Zèklè
show them all of your good parts
beat down when the bad ones start to show
As you walk through the woods alongside Darwin, a single thought repeats itself, a marquee running through your mind: I made a new friend!

I'm gonna level with you here, kid- this is not big news. Throughout your life, you have flawlessly succeeded at making friends. It may be the thing you're best at, your number one skill. And yet it never fails to delight and astound you. Yes, there is something to be said for your youthful, innocent response to the simple act of making friends. It's rather sweet how taken you are by the idea. But it's also rather foolish for you to make such a big deal out of it, especially now that you're a ranked adult with responsibilities and Serious Things happening in your life. Maybe it's time to lay off the childish responses to everything, hmm?

...Ok, fine. Whatever. You're excited. Happy?

Of course you are.

It is your very first trip to the Threshold, can you believe that? When Darwin suggested it you jumped at the opportunity, sheepishly informing the older pegasus of your embarrassing inexperience. He takes your lack of flight in stride - something you appreciate every time - and you set off together, lightning and the phoenix adventuring through the woods. You grin and laugh and chatter as you walk, your attention alternating between the bearded man and his avian friend. She reminds you a little of Vorsa, and the similarity does a little to dampen your spirits, but overall you remain cheerful throughout the rather short trip. You nod your compliance at the suggestion of water- with the amount you tend to talk, it's amazing you can go more than an hour without a drink.

Eventually you find water, and with it, more faces. One is familiar; you recognize the pretty new Earth Medic (all the earth medics are remarkably pretty, you've noted- also, does she have four wings?!) from the herd meeting, and your smile brightens as you squeeze in beside Darwin, the clearing suddenly very occupied with the small army from the Falls. There's a stranger, too, a flaxen blue unicorn who is covered with crystals of all things, and it takes every ounce of self restraint you posses not to immediately blurt out the myriad of questions that spring to your mind. Instead you follow Darwin's lead, though your nod is perhaps a little more eager, your smile a little more boyish and broad. "And I'm Zèklè!" you are quick to add, your full name rolling easily off your tongue. "We all live in the Hidden Falls," you add, because it doesn't seem anyone has seen fit to deposit that bit of information, and because it's a good lead in to your next line of questioning- "Where're you from? And what's your name?" And why are there crystals growing from your back?, you do not add, despite your itching fascination with the mineral deposits on the mysterious blue stranger.

Going to the Threshold is fun, you decide. Especially with a friend.

image | coding

Absent Abyss
Minx
Skadi

It is not long before she isn’t alone. Skadi comes to a halt and takes in the details of the stranger before her.. My, she cannot imagine what in nature decided the mare needed two sets of wings or in what way they may be practical. The frostbound shifts her thoughts at the question that breaks through the air. She appreciates the cordiality and dips her head to the mare. A smile slowly passes over her features, a vixen-like expression as her tail twitches ever so slightly.

“Oh, who am I to turn away company? I am sure flight is taxing upon the body,” Skadi says after her brief pause, her voice a soft purr. Company is welcome after what feels like eons in isolation. Another winged individual joins the group and her eyes drift over him curiously. Her eyes note the bird and she can only assume the creature is a pet of sorts. It seems as though it will not be a silent evening as a third guest arrives to greet her. Skadi dips her head to the one who declares himself Darwin and then to his companion Zéklé. Questions only sprout at the mention of a name.. Is the the Hidden Falls some kind of cult? Skadi waits a moment, practically anticipating for them to introduce her to some messiah or god. The religious zealots in her wanderings had a tendency to be the most exuberant.. Either way, she decides to indulge the strangers.

“My name is Skadi,” she says. “I originate from the isle of Pantheon but I call no place home at this moment.” Slowly her golden eyes drift over the strangers, her curiosity piqued and her tail continues to twitch as she studies each of the pegasi. “May I ask where precisely I am? It is not often I stumble across a welcoming committee in my wanderings.” Her tones are good natured and warm even. “And perhaps you’ll explain this Hidden Falls to me? You have me quite intrigued.”

"talk talk talk"

@Ultima @Darwin @Zéklé

♕ force permitted.
♕pixel by p-ond@dA

Outcast
ultima
The lads didn’t quite appear out of thin air – the chatter had been more a hum, initially, but eventually they solidified into whole words, which became jokes, which as the pair came into view became familiarity and recognition. Small as the Falls were, it wasn’t difficult to catalogue the faces, though she was often missing names. The gray was a warrior, she recalled. And the lightning-struck bay— A mason, the one who’d stood with the Mountain. Then, a voice rich and smooth and not at all unpleasant: “My name is Skadi.” 

Skadi. Zekle. Darwin. The girl turned the names over in her mind, head bobbing very slightly as they fit into her memory like pieces of a grand, grand puzzle.

“I’m Ultima, an Earth Medic,” she said finally, smiling cheerily at the little group. “A pleasure to meet you, miss! This is the easternmost edge of Helovia – we call it the Threshold. As I have it, most everyone begins here.” (Ultima, of course, having fallen quite literally from the sky, did not. Alas. A story for another day.) “If you carry on West, you’ll be moving largely through free territory all the way to the sea, but there are four herdlands, also – the Hidden Falls is one of them. It’s fairly close by,” she remarked, “Even by foot, which may explain this little get-together. Small world, and all that. The other herds are much, much farther.”

Humming pensively a moment, the girl’s eyes, bright as new coins, roved and eventually settled on the two stallions. “Don’t suppose I forgot anything, did I?” And then back to Skadi: “Would you like to see it? The Falls? Might be nice to have someplace to rest for the night, at least, wouldn’t it?”

@Darwin a lil rough, sorry!! i did try not to let her explain literally everything tho ahaha

Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 4 Years (Ages in Birdsong) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
You found the secret,
you’d kill it
just to keep it.
Darwin and Antaa grinned as Zero bounded beside him, introducing himself and where they all lived. Darwin nodded along, his little grey beard dancing along with the movement. And as the boy asked where the stranger was from, his gaze danced between Ultima and the stranger, harks tilted toward them in curiosity – pleased to get the feeling that Zero was enjoying this outing. It’d only make it better if they returned with company, he thought. As if Antaa agreed, she cooed quietly to the duo.

As Skadi introduced herself, Darwin filed the woman’s name away in the back of his mind, allowing his gaze to travel over her crystals in a quiet surprise. He wondered if they were a part of her – something that couldn’t be removed without hurting her. And the thought seemed to distract him as the mare spoke of a faraway land of Pantheon. He only returned to the present when she asked of the Hidden Falls, and immediately his gaze traveled to Ultima who was prepared to speak and explain their land and the world around them.

Ultima introduced herself first, then began to speak of their locations. He nodded along silently, a small chuckle escaping his darkened lips at her mention of their get together, the small world and all that. As the medic’s eyes trailed to Zero and himself, Darwin offered her a light shrug. “I’m sure whatever has been missed can be learned in time.” He added, offering Skadi a gentle smile. “It is close. We could show you around and you can rest there, then decide if you would like to continue living there.” He suggested, his head tilting slightly. “You aren’t required to stay in the herd either, plenty of time and space to wander and learn of all the lands here in Helovia if you’ve got a case of wanderlust. Though, we’d really love to have you accompany us!” He offered her a bright grin, shifting his attention to the lightning marked boy who was sure to add more. Antaa chirped and cooed a hello to Skadi and Ultima, her fiery wings spreading out in a gesture of hello before she settled back into her little nest.

"Talk."
darwin & antaa
image credits

@Zekle youre fine <3 I didn't really have anything to add with Darwin, so Zero could add in a bunch of info if you'd like Charks! <3

Zèklè Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 8.0 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 14.1 :: Three HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
charks
Zèklè
show them all of your good parts
beat down when the bad ones start to show
Well, you think, This is going great! Everyone seems to be getting along just fine. There's no confusion, no amazement, no Dear lord why are you all crowding around me and telling me about your home like I'm cattle?!, which you had feared might be the mentality of someone in the Threshold. It's almost as if... as if things were planned to be this way, as if this was the obvious, expected thing. As if somehow some greater force brought strangers here and made them decide to just go home with people, without reflecting on how bizarre the whole thing is. Hey I just met you, and this is crazy, but here's my herdland, so join us maybe!

Man, what a ridiculous, contrived system that would be!

Skadi, she says her name is, from Pantheon. "Pantheon!" you exclaim, "I've never heard of that! Is it far? Were there a lot of whales?" Mercifully, your companions drown out your barrage of questions, the older pegasi offering useful information, demonstrating their maturity. You shuffle sheepishly and try to emulate them, pulling your wing across your side and letting your tailfeathers smooth down against your tail - but you cannot help the lopsided grin that spreads across your lips as they speak in turn.

Darwin and Ultima offer to bring Skadi home, show her the Falls, and you nod your agreement with this plan. You have a million more questions, like how she got crystals and if they grow from her- because if they do that means that, maybe, she's like you. The metal on your side shudders as you quiver, excited by this thought. You've never met someone like you before, with things growing out of them. Can she craft with it? Do people ask to touch them all the time? Does she have to trim them, the way you do your titanium?

All these questions, and a million more, and now you're excited again, your tailfeathers quivering, but all you say is, "Yeah, come see the Falls!" Your voice is almost pleading, your bright eyes painfully eager, and the strain of keeping in the rest of what you want to say is obvious on your stupid face. It's as though you're afraid to scare her off - you need her cornered in your domain, so that when the onslaught comes, she has no recourse.

image | coding

@Skadi LOLOL ZERO GOT EXCITED, SORRY

Absent Abyss
Minx
Skadi

The multi-winged mare offers her name and Skadi dips her head to her in acknowledgment and she listens intently to the explanation of her precise location… The Threshold.. Ah yes she decides it to be a suitable name. Perhaps she will linger in this Helovia for a time. Then it is revealed precisely what this Hidden Falls is and things click into place.. This is a recruitment. Amusement glitters in her eyes at the thought. Part of her wonders if this is all a carefully orchestrated routine they put on for every newcomer. She will accredit whoever their leader is, for surely they know how to offer an exuberant welcome.

“Pantheon is quite far,” Skadi says to the stallion. “As for whales? Indeed there was. I spent many of my days in the coastal region and we were often greeted by those oceanic inhabitants.” Her eyes drift towards the others as they offer answers to all of her questions.

She catches the stares at her crystals and waits for one of them to finally ask, bombard her with inquiries to the deformities that is her normal. They are simply part of her being and she is quick to forget how others might view them as an abnormality. It all just adds an exotic flare and a dash of intrigue to her.. Truly a positive in her eyes, Skadi never being one for subtlety or invisibility. Part of her will always thrive with others eyes upon her.

After a long moment of thought on whether to accompany her welcoming committee she nods. “Resting in the safety of a herdland sounds quite a bit more appealing than resting beneath a rotting tree.” She says lightly. “A bit of sightseeing shouldn’t hurt.” Unless this is some predatory cult she’s stumbled upon, but alas, she chooses to throw caution to the wind

"talk talk talk"

@Ultima

♕ force permitted.
♕pixel by p-ond@dA

Outcast
ultima
Snapdragon had been lulled to sleep by all the conversation, which didn’t say much, considering he was an infant and also a cat. At this point, sleeping was his most notable talent; seeing him up and about, chittering incessantly with Ultima, was far more out of the ordinary. But up and about he was – at Antaa’s cheery greeting, his ears perked and his head popped up from out of his featherbed, bright gold eyes fixating immediately on the zephyr. No funny business,” Ultima warned under her breath, her pleasant expression entirely uninterrupted. The kitten mewled dismissively. He just wanted to touch it. As in pounce on it. Not funny at all, hunting. 

That Ultima didn’t roll her eyes was a wonder of self-control. 

Instead, she watched bright-eyed as Zero fired off a small barrage of queries. Skadi was a willing recipient; she answered thoughtfully and if she was perturbed in the least, she didn’t make it known. There was a coolness to her that Ultima had last encountered in Minerva, but it wasn’t the coolness of steel; it felt much more patient and good-natured, like taking a page from Alysanne’s book. Not a bad combination, the girl thought. When the woman expressed interest in a visit, it seemed to Ultima a thing of great promise.

“Well, then you ought to come!” 

“The Falls are really lovely – I can’t say much for the Dragon’s Throat as I haven’t been there, but it’s every bit as nice as the other herds. Oh, those are the World’s Edge and the Aurora Basin,” she added, cocking her head and smiling cheerily before glancing at the boys. At the mason, in particular – “You lot ready to head back? I know you just got here. If you’d rather stay,” she said slowly, jokingly, half-grinning, “I’m sure I can guide Miss Skadi along on my own!” The girl fully expected him to detonate at any moment, he was so laden with questions.

Laughing, she met Skadi’s gaze again. “Shall we?”

@skadii @darwin do you want to finish off this round of replies, or should we start a joining thread back home??? (^8

You found the secret,
you’d kill it
just to keep it.
Pale fluted ears perked to Zero as he exclaimed the place Skadi hailed from. A soft smile found its way onto Darwin’s bearded maw at the excitement that laced the young man’s words. He listened as he asked of whales and Antaa tilted her head at the comment – not knowing what a whale was but from the excitement of Zero’s question, she was growing more curious. Yet, he continued on in extending a hand that Ultima and Darwin himself had offered the crystal mare and Darwin found his gaze landing on Skadi once again awaiting her answer.

At first, Skadi answers the questions from Zero. As she spoke of there being plenty of whales, Darwin’s gaze slid back to Zero to see his reaction. Was he going to completely lose it? Become Skadi’s best friend too, learning of all the different whales that were located in Pantheon? The thought amused Antaa who let out a half-chirp as a laugh. Soon though as Skadi spent a few moments pondering their offer, before accepting it and Darwin offered her a bright grin and a nod. “Wonderful!” He interjected before Ultima had spoke. “Well, then you out to come!” River stone eyes landed on the quad winged mare with a bright smile, though confusion played into his mind as he didn’t know about the Basin being a herd as well. Either way, he filed it away for questions later of all the things that had happened since his disappearance and reappearance.

As Ultima looked back to him and Zero and ask them a question, his gaze landed on Zero with a small chuckle. “Whatever you want to do Zero; do you want to go back or keep exploring? I’m fine with whatever.” His head tilted again slightly as Ultima spoke to Skadi once again. Darwin was sure if Zero wanted to return to the Falls with Skadi and ask her all sorts of questions of Pantheon’s whales, that they could explore the Threshold further another day. It was all up to him now.

"Talk."
darwin & antaa
image credits

Not that great of a post, but whatever you would like to do! :D @Ultima @Zekle