the Rift

Sambor/"Ituwaji": Land of Bone

Kansas Posts: 0
OOC Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 5'0'' :: 23
Kansas

It is said they descended from the monkey, evolved from those young creatures that fell from the boughs, not strong enough to hold tight. Under the weight of their shame they were forced upon all fours to eat, walk, and breed like animals. Over the years their hands became hooves, their tails thick, and necks long. They changed with time to become beings better suited to their floor-bound banishment, growing in strength, speed, and intelligence. Soon they rivaled their monkey parents, and of course, jealousy was swift to follow. The beings were not fools, they knew they could not win against the greater advantage of their fellow primates, and so they took the only choice left to them - they left. Behind them they shed their nameless, shameless heritage to take up a future as more than just 'things' and 'monsters.' They became the horse, and they looked to the sunrise for a place they could call home.

HISTORY_______________

Their history is a long and war-torn one, full of hope and sorrow, sadness and joy.

CULTURE_______________

Over time and through many mistakes, the Samborian culture has taken on an outlook that to outsiders, may appear backward and barbaric. They are in fact, barbarians, amazons, creatures borne from a time of strife and fighting to rise above their disadvantages, and conquer. From a point in their history when slavery of women prevailed, those women have now turned the tides and gripped the reins of internal politics. Men have a very weak stand-point in anything, they have been compounded into the lesser gender by many generations of breeding and conditioning. When once they were Gods under stone and glass, they are now dirty children clinging to the remnants of something that might have been grandeur at one point. They are fighters, crafters, shamans, and weavers. They build, break, renovate, and recycle. They are The Bone Women.

Although there is no actual government that rules over this land, there are three 'Clans' that take self-entitled ownership over certain territories, automatically reaching out to include smaller villages and tribes. The Clans were originated by three individual families, but over time the ranks have changed so much that nobody really knows who started what anymore. Rulers are ever-changing, challenges are common-place, tending to leave the 'Clan-home' in a constant state of disarray. In this fashion it has become a situation where 'survival of the fittest' is the literal way of life, if you cannot fight, you cannot survive. Kill or be killed.

THE CLANS

Shivarr (shee-vahr); The smallest tribe, but the women are ruthless and known for their cruelty. They are a short, hardy breed with little regard for anyone other than their tribesman. They are the most active in raiding outside villages, taking slaves, and even breeding them for the market outside of their country. Being on the borders of the Eastern desert gives them access to resources and contacts that the other tribes do not.

- No Shivarr has ever reached over 15hh.
- They tend to come in darker coat colors, earthy tones that allow them to blend into their surroundings better. Paint's/pinto's are very uncommon, if not rare, and scorned for the risk they bring on missions.
- They are mostly equine, Unicorn's are typically slated for breeding, while none of them have ever seen a Pegasus.
- They have a "Kill on sight!" policy for non-Clan members. Or be taken into slavery.
- They pray to four of the ten Patron Goddess's.
- Their Clan color is: Blue.

Qiyai (Ki-juh-eye); The 'original' Tribe that first started the need for competition from the others. They specialize in herbs and medicinal 'bone' healing, shaman's. Not nearly as vicious as their sister-Clan, the Qiyai are fond of challenging neighboring tribes and villages for dominance, stealing and taking what they need to further their own needs. Strangers are warned to stay well away from their borders, and sometimes men will be taken as breeding stock.

- No Qiyai has ever reached over 17hh.
- They can be found in an array of colors, paints, tobiano's, and tovero's are common. Grulla's are counted as some of the more attractive. Some of them are even horned.
- They are mostly equine, but Unicorns are welcome while Pegasi are treated with extreme caution.
- They pray to three of the ten Patron Goddess's.
- Their Clan color is: Gold.

Heppi (Hep-pee); Not much is known about the inner-workings of the Heppi Clan. They are forbidden from leaving their territory for anything other than excursions, foraging missions, and challenges issued. It is said that they are so strict they will kill their own children for breaking their laws, leaving both of their sister-Clans with a healthy dose of caution toward them. No Heppi captured in battle will speak of its clan, nor return to its clan, most of them are usually killed for a lack of cooperation.

- No Heppi has ever been seen over 16hh.
- The ones seen in battle have always favored pale colors, whites, pearls, buckskins, and clay-banks. Almost, if not all of them, have curled ears like the marwari. Some have even been known to sport feathers, but never wings, and scales.
- They are mostly equine and Unicorn. They are the only clan with Pegasi within their ranks, and they are forbidden to fly, usually ending with their wings clipped or tattered to prevent the urge. Pegasi are strictly forbidden from all outside influence, if an outsider were to see one, they would be killed on the spot. (Offending Peg and outsider)
- It is unknown what or how many Patrons they pray to.
- Their Clan color is: Red.

It is an unspoken rule that only the Clans are allowed to carry paint on their bodies. It is used as a tool to signify rank and title if a member should have one. Each Clan also utilizes 'bones' as a way to differentiate between families and breeding. Neighboring tribes and villages tend to use this as a way of commerce between the Clans when they aren't being conquered or challenged. If a non-Clan member is ever found carrying illegal paint, they are usually killed or shamed.

Along with the three Clans there are over thirty small villages and tribes found throughout the country. Most of the country speaks one primary language, known as "Itarti." There are several different dialects of this primary tongue, but for the most part they are all capable of understanding the differences. (The dialects mostly range in difference depending on where the horse is coming from; North, South.. etc, but the variances are never so big that it's become undefined or 'different' from the Mother tongue)

ITARTI________________

So I haven't actually developed much of this language yet seeing as it's still pretty fresh, and I haven't pin-pointed a root for it so... This will be elaborated as I figure things out. The things I do have I will put below:

Shivarr; translates literally to "blue beast."
Shif; literally "blue."
Qiyai; translates literally to "gold bone."
Qij; literally "gold."
Yaiti; "bone" p:Yaitu "bone/s."
Heppi; translates literally to "red crow."
Hapti; literally "red/crimson."
Pi-i; literally "crow."
Pui-i; "big crow." the word to describe a Raven.

I just want to get this established. I will start actual work on it tomorrow because I'm so tired it's not even funny. Plus none of it will make sense until I really start formatting it so - have fun!

Oh, pronunciations: Sambor (Sam-boar)/ Ituwaji (ee-too-wah-yi) don't slip into saying 'why' it's 'wah-yi' or 'yee,' if that helps.