the Rift

I got itches that scratch

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie

My breath came in puffs from my nostrils, rising out in front of me in the cold. Icy eyes shifted from side to side, taking in the snow blanketed land. My home land. The place of my birth. Frostfall had obviously come quick and harsh this year, as it had everywhere else.

I knew immediately when I had returned. It felt different. It smelled different. Like there was danger lurking at every corner. Pain hiding beneath the blanket of snow, seeping deep into the blood soaked ground. I had memories here. Agonizing memories. But they had eased. Some, anyway. The time away had been good for me. Away from everything that reminded me of what had been lost. Away from the pitying stares of my peers. They where the worst. Staring, judging my malnourished body, judging how I mothered my child. But they didn't know. They would probably be lucky enough to never know.

I breath deep, and let it out in a long sigh, the cold causing my hot breath to turn cold and visible. Home. I knew not what to expect. Would I be welcomed warmly? Or outcast into the cold frostfall, to wander until I found myself a new home. I had been a terrible addition to the worlds edge. But I wanted to be more. I wanted to try again, and try harder. I needed the work, busy helped. It dulled the empty ache in my heart. But doubt clouded my mind. Would they even want me? Broken as I was. They wanted my father. Mauja the Frozen Light. He was broken too. Buried under webs of protection. Few managed to pierce the heart that lay buried in those webs.

I understood why they had been placed there though. Why he had built the wall around his heart. It was a protection mechanism. To protect from the pain in the world, since every being seemed to love and relish in the pain of others. Even the dead.

As I made my way through the threshold, I let my mind wonder on some of those I had known. Rikyn. The wry son of Illynx, who had seemed to inherit his mothers silver tongue. Erebos, the son of Deimos. Sjal, that mysterious girl who I had met a few times. My mother, my father.... Rhoa. He was who I wondered about most of all. I needed to apologize to him. For everything.

"talk talk talk talk "

@Alysanne

I HAD A HEART THEN
but the queen has been overthrown

full image

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

This was an absolutely ridiculous idea but yet here she was, back in the Threshold. As if visiting this forest had ever turned out favourably for her. Considering how much she loved the Edge it was easy to praise it and conversation typically came easy to Alysanne but for whatever reason, combining those two into an attempt to recruit just never seemed to work out.

But, she supposed, this was at least a tolerable method of rejection. If she were to be turned down anywhere, she was glad it was here.

She just hoped none of her herd mates might be around to see her fail when it happened.

What was certainly unexpected, as Alysanne travelled through the snow-covered forest, was that for the second time in a row she would see someone she recognized. It caused her to stop dead in her tracks, her green eyes widening with the surprise of it, and Hemlock stopped his hunting to come check out this not-quite-stranger for himself. No name came to either of their memories so she did not think they had been properly introduced… but the spotted mare was undeniably familiar and Alysanne had a feeling she had seen her in the Edge before.

Despite her initial surprise, she wasted no time in approaching the mare once her hooves started to move again. Immediately there was a warm smile softening her green eyes as she called out a greeting. “Hello!” She came to a halt nearby though her small owl companion decided to continue flying in the canopy above them instead of resting in his usual spot atop her head. Though she was curious, Alysanne’s manner was easy and opening - she remembered all too well how intimidating the Threshold could be, even for those returning to Helovia, and did not want to put this mare off by seeming tense.

Her smile remained bright and friendly as she spoke again. “This may sound a little strange, and I do apologize for that, but did you use to live in the Edge? You look very familiar.”

art by imi

@Glacia
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

I had thought my entrance back to Helovia would be quiet, unseen. Un-noticed. I should have known that was not how the threshold worked. It drew those within the borders to it, to greet new comers, and returnee's alike. Soon the soft snow is being shifted by another's feet, the quiet being shattered in the pristine forest. I was no longer alone. My black ears lifted foreward, long thick hair clinging to the fur on them, to catch the other mares greeting. She sounded cheery enough, but I remained cautious. I watched her warily with my icy eyes, studying her. She looked familiar, and yet I could not place her. Not at this moment, yet it nagged at the back of my mind. I know her.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one who recognized the other. I listen, as the other female asks if I lived in the Edge. I am still cautious, and I remain silent for a few moments, mulling over if I should lie or not. She could be dangerous, there was always that chance of danger. But I relented on being truthful. For some reason, I got the sense that this mare would not intentionally harm me. "Yes. Not to long ago I did. I had to leave... For personal reasons." My voice stuck slightly, but I cleared my throat, hoping she hadn't noticed. "I have returned, and plan on resuming my place in the Edge, should they want me still." My icy eyes flicked over the tobiano mare once more, and my lips lifted in what could be seen as a smile, with a sadness in it. Buried deep. "I am Glacia. Daughter of Mauja the Frozen Light. Who might you be?" I guessed her from the Edge, that would be the only possible reason she would recognize me from there. I hadn't done much with the herd, not traveling nor festivity's. She had to also be from there. In which case she would know exactly who my father was. And if he was still well.

"talk talk talk talk "

I HAD A HEART THEN

full image

@Alysanne

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

It was great to hear that Alysanne wasn’t just imagining a connection with the spotted mare - she had lived in the Edge! Whatever her personal reasons were for leaving for a time, Alysanne would not press for further information. She simply nodded her head because she understood. How many times had she left the Edge to go visit her son? Or because she needed a break from it? She wasn’t about to judge anyone for doing to same thing.

As Glacia introduced herself, she also added that she was Mauja’s daughter - which caused Aly’s eyes to widen slightly in surprise before she gained control of her reaction and let surprise fade back into a delighted smile. It was hard to imagine Mauja being a father but she knew he had been because she remembered Naerys telling her that his daughter had died. Clearly, he had more than one and this just served as a reminder of just how little she knew about the ex-Queen.

But she quickly stopped thinking about one spotted unicorn in favour of the one before her. As she replied to the question posed, she maintained her friendly smile. “I’m Alysanne, one of the leads in the Edge so I can say for certain that the herd would be happy to accept you back.” She didn’t like to throw around the word queen but in this moment it could be comforting to hear that she at least had the authority to dismiss Glacia’s worries about not being welcomed back in the Edge. “And I’m sure your dad will be happy to see you again?” She did not know what their relationship was like but she hoped that was the case.

“I can accompany you there now, if you’d like?”

art by imi

@Glacia
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

I watched as the painted mares eyes widened when I introduced myself as the daughter of Mauja, but it only lasted a moment, before the look turned into a smile of delight. The mare introduces herself, as Alysanne, and she was a lead of the edge. My ears flicked forward at that, and I listened as she said I would be welcomed back. So Elsa had been over thrown. I wanted to know if something had befallen the previous queen. Had she died? Sickness or battle wounds? Or was she simply not fit enough to rule? But then again, maybe it hadn't been Elsa. Maybe the painted woman was replacing Tembovu. He had welcomed me with open arms, and I hoped nothing terrible had happened to him. Then Alysanne mentions my father. I smile, nodding."Thank you Alysanne. I shall be happy to see my father. Weren't you a moon doctor previously? I do think I vaguely remember you. I was attempting to become a nurse. I should like to pursue that path once more."

Surprisingly I felt like I had found a friend. I wasn't expecting it. And I hadn't become bombarded with questions, or others. Just one. "I would love that Alysanne. The company would be nice... It has been some time since I had some." And with that I pushed through the snow headed towards my home. I was ready to go home. I was ready to face my pain, and my fears.

"talk talk talk talk "

@Alysanne
I think we can get a thread up in the edge ^^

I HAD A HEART THEN

full image