the Rift

[OPEN] I go out walking after midnight

Rhoa Posts: 175
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 3 HP: 65 | Buff: ENDURE
Odd

Midnight.

I hadn't come here for any particular reason, other than I liked the peace and quiet. Tomorrow I'd likely venture to the Throat (Ranjiri had gone there a few days ago. I hadn't, thinking it might be awkward, but how could it be? They are my family after all, and always will be. It would be nice to see Mother and Father again, as well as my brothers and sisters), but for tonight, I was just here walking in the moonlight.

The deep woods were so .. muffled sounding. I knew that literally the muffling came from the moss that seemed to cover everything, but even more so, it seemed that the Woods could muffle just about anything else: emotions, thoughts..Not that I had anything to muffle, really. I was perfectly content with most areas of my life, and overjoyed with others.

The most notable being Ranjiri. She was my everything. My first thought in the morning and the last thing I let run through my mind before sleep. Her smell was intoxicating, and her mind, vast. There was nothing we couldn't talk about, nothing I wouldn't tell her. Sometimes I wonder if this is how my Father felt about my Mother. Although their relationship always seemed to be so ... so seemlessly wordless, perhaps it like this.

The thought made me smile.

Perhaps I would ask them tomorrow. 

For now -

Thrrcrrkktt

My ears perked forward and then behind. Was something there? I inhaled deeply, and whatever it was smelled musty and ... and almost dead? Or at least, it had the smell of death near it. Something with a newly skinned animal perhaps?

"Hello?" I called and opened my wings, allowing the embered light to spill out into the darkness.  "Is there someone there?"

Rhoa's items to Ranjiri

:: [ Item: Phoenix Feather | Normal. ]
:: [ Item: blue raindrop charm | a blue raindrop charm that sweats fresh water ]
:: [ Sun Amulet ]

Image Credits

NPC Posts: 298
User-based Random Event
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
wrong

there was not a someone, but a something. a thing that rhoa's sisters could likely have warned him of. if he hadn't moved away from the throat without saying so much as a goodbye. he'd just followed that sweet black ass to the hidden falls and never looked back. hindsight is a bitch, isn't it?

the answer is yes.

so what happens now? now that things are going so well for rhoa, who has finally stopped whining and carrying on about how bad his childhood was?

"i'll take 'what's lurking in the deep dark woods' for $500, alex."

ah! that's today's daily double. the answer is, "who is going to die in the forest today?"

"who is, rhoa?"

ding ding ding

the monster, a creature tae and grusha had already attacked once, had been lumbering through this woods ever since. it had been wary of the larger of the two twins and had stayed far away from her during her time 'not lost' (as she told her father) in the woods. upon seeing her brother ("how does the monster know grusha is her brother. they looking nothing alike. what sort of omniscient bullshit is this"), the monster decided that it could simultaneously take revenge on the annoying twins that had been stalking it for months now, and also satiate its vast hunger.

the soon-to-be-father didn't stand a chance.

the monster lunged from the bushes, all 10m of it (because it uses the metric system, so it likes to give its height in meters not feet.). its claws found their way into rhoa's flanks, guiding by the warm light that pulsed from his wings. the boy couldn't even scream, because the monster's jaws found his neck and tore into it, severing arteries and vocal chords in a smooth, wet, gnashing movement.

a smile slick with blood parted the monster's jaws as it made quick work of devouring the stallion.

good news bad news time. the good news is that rhoa never had to learn that his father died. the bad news is that he also never learned that ranjiri was pregnant.

too bad, so sad.

RIP Rhoa. Also monsters don't use capital letters.

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
Ranjiri
{
"Grief never ends, but it changes. Its a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love."
Rhoa wasn't in the Falls, I had looked everywhere for him and he just wasn't there. I wraked my brain to try and remember if he'd mentioned where he might be going while I went to visit Cera and Gaucho in the Throat and I remembered him mentioning the forest, so I flew there as fast as my wings would carry me. The whole time I just kept thinking about how I was going to tell Rhoa that Gaucho had died -- there was really no easy or sensitive way to do it. No matter how I went over it in my head it always hurt. I didn't want to hurt Rhoa, but I knew from my experience with Cera and my own father's death it hurt far worse not to tell.

I landed at the forest's treeline and I folded my wings tightly against my sides as I peered into the darkness. It seemed, right then, that the forest was much more ominous than I remembered, but I chalked that up to the fact that I was about to tell Rhoa that his father was dead. Not once did it cross my mind that there would be someone that I loved lying dead in there and that the monster that killed him might still be lurking. I pushed myself forward and started searching... but I didn't have to search that long.

It was the thick, iron scent of blood that I noticed first. Then it was Rhoa that I could smell intermingled with it. I could feel the dread starting to build up in me, but I kept telling myself that it was just a wolf that killed something and Rhoa had simply walked past it. It definitely wasn't Rhoa's blood that I was smelling, just some unfortunate forest animal. Rhoa was too strong to be taken down by a wolf. He was a fighter. He was strong. He was going to be a father. He had a lot to fight for. He was ...

dead.

He was laying there on the ground, covered in blood, and I stared for the longest time because I couldn't believe it. It had to be a hallucination. An illusion. I was dreaming. It was just a terrible nightmare and I was going to wake up and Rhoa was going to be right there next to me, sound asleep. It wasn't real, it wasn't real, it wasn't real.

But it was real.

I stood frozen where I was, my heart hammering somewhere in my chest, and my breaths coming in sporadic bursts. My blood felt like it had turned to ice as it sloshed its way through my body. I wanted to scream. To cry. To find what had done this and kill it.

"Rhoa..." I whispered his name as I finally forced myself to take a step forward, then another, and another. My legs were shaking as I stood there looking down at him ... at what used to be him.  "Oh god..." My voice cracked and a sob caught in my throat. His blood coated the ground around his body, still wet and sticky, but I still layed next to his body, uncaring of how it would stick to my coat. "You promised me." I whispered against his ear. "You promised me you wouldn't leave me again." My voice cracked again and I took a shaky breath. "We were going to be parents...." 

"."

Credits

aud pixel!

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

Sohalia was already too deep into the forest when she smelled the blood.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

The thick, iron tang hung heavily in the woods, its scent clinging to the faded greenery of autumn. The mare's stomach turned and she fought the urge to heave. She didn't know which way to go - the stench was everywhere, burning in her nose, lingering in her mind, and no matter which direction she started in, it seemed to follow her. Perhaps she was walking in circles... or perhaps the carcass of whatever poor soul had been lost was strewn in every direction. Sohalia shuddered and kept walking.

It was dark even in the brightest area of the Deep Forest. A young Sohalia, innocent and naive, wandered in its depths, unaware of the dangers that hid within. She was newly come, and this had been her accidental first destination. There was a stallion and a mare, and though she was suspicious, they treated her kindly enough. Even so, when the wolves came upon them, snarling and snapping and chasing, the mare ran without looking back.

She'd never found out what had happened to those stallions. What if they had met their end here, all because she had left them to face the pack alone? What if one more fighting body, no matter how petite, no matter how inexperienced, would have made the difference?

She recognized an undertone, a vague hint of a smell, something musky and masculine and almost familiar, and for a moment she imagined that she might come upon Gaucho in these woods. Hope and longing leapt to her throat and she almost cried out, but then she remembered that the WildFire was dead, burned to ashes in the Dragon's Throat, and the despair was so great that it nearly consumed her. Perhaps it would be easier to simply succumb to whatever monster prowled in the shadows than to continue to face a future without her sun.

Or without her son.

Rhoa.

It was half a thought, a whispered memory, but suddenly, the Transcended knew.

She was not the first to arrive, the world moving in slow motion, as though she was in a nightmare from which she could not wake. A gold-tipped hybrid lay beside the motionless body of her first son, and for a moment Sohalia thought that perhaps they were both dead, two lovers (or so she assumed, from the mare's embrace) sent to their graves too early, a Romeo and Juliet hoping to be reunited in the next life. But then a sob fell from golden lips, and it was mirrored in ivory.

The girl - and she was just a girl, really, so young and full of life - was murmuring to the still and lifeless corpse. It could't be true. None of this could be real. To have lost her mate - the one true love that she had allowed to slip away - was bad enough. To have lost her firstborn child, a daughter, dead before she ever entered this world, was worse. To have lost a daughter grown - Skysong - and a son who had become a man when she wasn't looking - Rhoa - it was just too much.

She couldn't cry anymore.

Gaucho had stolen all of her tears.

"You're pregnant?" she whispered stupidly, having arrived beside the mourning mare. Her voice was dull and dazed, as though she were only just waking up. "Oh, Rhoa..." The grief in her voice spoke of a pain greater than any should need to bear.

Gaucho was dead.

Rhoa was dead.

And there was a child.

Oh, gods, what were they going to do now?

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby

@Ranjiri
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Kvasir Posts: 25
Outcast
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16.3 :: 2 years
Adoptable

The day started out innocently enough. I had just arrived back in this wonderful land, after months being abroad. Mother needed to leave, and well, she wasn't quiet ready to return yet. I could understand. Over the tall sun mother had finally told me, about everything. My birth, and Vidar. It explained her distance. It was hard, and she had to take breaks in telling me because she broke down...

It shed a lot of light on everything, down to the deep stuff, like how I always felt like a big piece of me was missing. I had had a twin... But he died. Learning that had hurt, more than mother might have thought, but watching her go through the pain of the memory again was especially hard, and while she wasn't the best mother I loved her, and I know she loved me in her own way.

But soon I was ready to come back. We had parted ways and she had promised to return. When, I wasn't sure. But now I was here. I wanted to find dad, and tell him of my adventures. I had wandered down to the Deep Forrest in search of shelter, since I wasn't sure on returning to the Edge. Not yet... Soon.

As a clearing barely appeared in the foliage below I swooped, and less than gracefully (I still needed practice) fanned my wings and landed. The first thing to hit my nose was blood. My nostrils flared and ears perked forward immediately, and morbid curiosity drove me further. As I neared, dread filled my stomach like lead. It smelled wrong... Familiar.... So close to my own musky scent... As I emerged I saw two mares.... But I wasn't really looking at them. I was looking into the face of my father.

"Dad?"

The words caught in my throat. Shock radiated throughout my body, and all I could wonder was... Why?

This was not how it was supposed to be.

Our reunion was supposed to be happy, filled with joy... After my long months traveling I was supposed to come home to you dad, I wanted to live with you, in the Throat. We were gonna be pals.... You weren't supposed to leave me.

As it sunk in, steam began to steadily rise from my coat, pain like I had never felt before started to stab at my heart, tears welled up and drizzled down my face, my wings sank to the mossy floor. I managed to tear my eyes away to look to the black and gold mare, then to the grey. Something else registering, something they had said. I needed to grasp onto it. It was all I had right now, to distract me.

My eyes returned to the mare curled around dad... Another one. He was going to be a dad again. But he wasn't here anymore... "I have another sibling?" It is whispered... Soft, sad... Sad, because they would never meet dad. Dad never met Vidar, and he wouldn't meet this one either. Carefully I stepped closer to the mourning hybrid, eyes not looking into her face but at her stomach, almost as if I expected her to become round and fully pregnant then and there. It was at that moment, I decided I would protect that child with everything I had. My whole being... Dad would have wanted that.

"Talk."

Kvasir
mama, just killed a man
put a gun against his head
pulled my trigger, now he's dead
mama, life had just begun
but now i've gone and thrown it all away
mama, ooo
didn't mean to make you cry

Notes:
[color=#000000][size=x-small][font=monospace]

I just had to, I'm sorry. Character development and so. I figured it a good way to learn some new things and learn of other family besides the ones on Glacia's side.

@Ranjiri @Sohalia
[Image: 56a07107f15a9]

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
Ranjiri
{
"Grief never ends, but it changes. Its a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love."
There was never any time to grieve properly, and as I laid there on the ground next to Rhoa's body I could hear someone approaching. For a moment I hoped that it was the same thing that had killed Rhoa so it could take me, too, because I was so tired of losing everyone that I loved. Then I hoped that whatever it was would keep walking and leave me alone because I couldn't die -- not when I had Rhoa's child to bring into the world, nurture, and love because he couldn't. But it was just a mare -- pure white and beautiful and in the seconds that I looked at her I could swear that her grief mirrored my own.

I had to look away.

I shut my eyes to try and staunch the flow of tears and I laid my neck across Rhoa's and silently prayed that he would suddenly take a breath. That he would suddenly be alive and just need to be healed, but his body only grew colder as the last of his blood drained onto the ground around us. "You're pregnant?" I heard the other mare whisper and I answered in a whisper of my own, "Yes." I took a shaky breath and continued. "I never got to tell him."

"I have another sibling?"

This made me lift my head and I looked at the child --Rhoa's child -- that was standing not too far away and wondered when he had gotten there. How long had he been there? Had he been there before me? I blinked slowly and nodded my head in answer. Rhoa had never spoken of his child with me, but I had known that there was one out there. I had never thought that I'd be meeting him while we were both grieving Rhoa's death. I shifted my weight and extended my wing in an attempt to invite the child to my side to grieve with me.

"."

Credits

@Sohalia @Kvasir

aud pixel!

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

Sohalia thought that she’d have grown used to this pain, that she would find herself prepared for the onslaught of emotion to come. After all, she had lost not one, but three children now, not to mention her mate – and yet each time the ache in her chest blossomed anew, no more painful but certainly no less than any of the times before. It was a little different with each new death; it had to be, for they were each their own individual being, and it would be unfair to their memory to mourn each of them in the same way she’d mourned the others.

Still, she had never lost loved ones in such quick succession before, and the void in her chest seemed to grow until it threatened to swallow her whole. Was this her destiny? A cursed life in which she watched all of her loved ones die? She might have fallen to her knees, screamed and cursed and begged the gods, don’t let it be so! but it was not just her in this bloodied clearing. There was that mare, the gold-tinged mare who carried her grandchild.

And then there was another, a colt, an extension of her lineage that she hadn’t known existed. Tears welled in the ivory dove’s eyes as she took in the sight of them all, as she considered the dismal future that awaited them once they left the forest. They would all part ways, no doubt; she had never seen either of them before, and she knew that they couldn’t possibly realize her relation to Rhoa.

But her family was dwindling far too quickly, and they would need each other now more than ever.

There was a pause as the Transcended gathered herself, pulling her emotions back from the brink and carefully shutting them in a mental box. She would fall apart one day, to be sure, but today would not - could not – be that day. “Rhoa was my son,” she murmured softly, her voice full of sorrow. “And if you are his family, then you are mine as well. Please, allow me to help you however I can.”

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby

@Kvasir
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!