the Rift

[PRIVATE] Playing Doctor

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie

As everyone broke away, and back out on their own way, Maude quickly departs Nyx’s side with a cheerful apology, and that she had other business to tend to. Perhaps they would meet again, soon? She laughs, whimsically bound to the false reality that everyone lives forever, and they would all get to meet again, someday, before leaving the ill fated gray mare, in search of her chilly, snowflake friend.

Though they had only spent one afternoon together, it had been a wonderful one, and Maude was eager to spend more of them, and to learn more about the newly promoted Sage, who would apparently be working alongside her mother. Too preoccupied with her pressing concern over Erthë’s limping pace to realize that this meant they would likely spend more time together, anyway (or to have the subsequent fit of delight that it would inspire), the spring green gaze of the child fretfully scans the multitude of moving bodies, for one small, white one.

There! She sees her, and canters forward, arriving alongside the winged hybrid with a grin that thinly disguises her healer’s worry. Having never had a patient before, she rehearses her lines a few times mentally while pacing herself alongside Erthë at a bouncy walk, before taking a deep breath, and beginning.

Hi Erthë!” she begins, like all good talks do,
are you excited about your new promotion?

She certainly would be, even though the question is basically an ice breaker, making her ultimate inquiry seem a bit less rude than just flatly asking someone if they were aware the were crippled, and if she could try to help.

Art by TheCallyBear@ DA

@Erthe
Hold onto this lullaby, even when the music's gone.

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

Barely had the meeting concluded before Erthë was on her way, receding into the backdrop of the forest as swiftly as her gimpy legs could carry her, foam carried on withdrawing tides. Her breath came in strained gasps, as though she had been holding it in for some time. Between a desperate wish to disappear and the new, gnawing eagerness to plunge headlong into the duties her new status demanded, she wasn't sure which one to obey. On a certain level she had to admit that this was a good thing, the best thing that could have happened; now she would have something to do besides mulling over her own problems, real problems to solve and actual tasks to attend to. She had to find a way to preserve the memories of her fellow herd mates so that the passing years would not get to them, so that her own failing memory could never forget or alter the experiences others had lived through.

It was a challenge, one that already had begun to occupy her mind when a bright, horribly cheerful voice cut straight through the chain of thought. For a fraction of a second Erthë considered pretending not to have heard, just continue on her way and find somewhere quiet and solitary...

But that would not be a very good start to her new career, would it?

"Hi Maude" she replied in that she turned back, slowing her lumbering pace enough that the filly could catch up (she didn't even sigh, wasn't that admirable). "Yes, I... I suppose I am." But it didn't sound very convincing, and Erthë had a feeling that her smile was terribly weak and glum. Sure, she was glad, but at the same time... she could almost feel the shackles locking around her legs, the tightening of chains around her wings tying her more firmly to the ground, the herd, the life if a cripple unable to see beyond the next line of trees..

Would the horizon ever be hers to claim anymore? Did she deserve to grasp it, or was everyone better off if she never tasted freedom again?

"I guess... " she added slowly, "I just haven't processed it yet."

She looked at the foal, but it took a while before her gaze actually focused on the little ray, leaving her own troubles behind.

"So, looks like we will be seeing each other more often from now on" she said, attempting another smile; this time it came easier, for seeing Maude somehow made everything feel much better.

"I hope you'll come listen when I hold my first lessons... though I might have to ask your mum for some pointers first."

Really, it still felt as though she ought to sit in on lessons herself rather than try to teach others about the world. What did she even know, that could benefit others? It wasn't like she was either old nor wise, not if the mess that was her life were anything to go by.

DANCING IN DARKNESS
to the sound of a drum

@Maude

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

World's Edge Filly
Bunnie

That Erthë isn’t very excited about her new job is one of the things Maude notices first, though she certainly isn’t sure why. If their roles were reversed, the ginger and cream filly was quite sure she would be over the Moon, or so she thought the saying went. Maybe it had something to do with responsibility? Her father mentioned it a lot, and that it only grew the older you got, and the more tasks that were assigned to you.

She was not sure, but lets it diminish her cheer none at all. Letting the conversation move where it will, her lips split into a broad smile as Erthë points out that they will likely see each other more. They would, wouldn’t they! Maude thinks, quite liking the idea, her pale tail lifting along with her spirits, as her Arabian heritage is apt.

Of course I’ll come!” she cheerfully assures her friend, “I’m sure mommy would love to help. She is very kind, even though she can be pretty serious sometimes.

Her father could be too, she supposed, but there was something much more solemn about the pale mare than there was about her cheerful, caring father. It was as if all those years in the cold of the Aurora Basin had managed to make part of her cold, too, or maybe it was all that time she spent outside, first thing in the morning, meditating, that left her feeling distant, sometimes.

Still, there was a comfort in the ethereal nature of her dam, one that made her knowledgeable tales seem all the more important. While Maude had the gift of making songs, her mother was very good at telling stories, and her russet kissed daughter greatly appreciated the art which had only narrowly escaped her grasp. Her tales wound up being too long, and convoluted, with no real point, but she always left her mother’s teaching feeling like she’d really learned something important.

Realizing that she’s been lured away from her initial topic by the beguiling notion of getting to study history and magic with Erthë, the filly casually looks away, before glancing back at her friend, an ear falling back nervously.

Say, Erthë,” slowly, sweetly begins the cremello maiden, not sure how to broach the subject without potentially hurting the snowy mare’s feelings, but sticking to her initial plan, all the same, “I’m getting pretty good with herbs now. I can name all of them in the garden, and greenhouse. My teachers say I should start practicing actual healing soon. Can… can I practice on you? If you don't already have a doctor, you know.

Art by TheCallyBear@ DA

Chan

Erthë nodded, understanding perfectly what the child meant. If there was one thing that daunted her about her new rank it would be the inevitable moment when she would have to cooperate with Arah. She liked the mare well enough, but their contact had been fairly limited thus far and she found it somewhat hard to communicate with the noble mare. Maude's mother had a way of making her feel so very small and childish, brash and clumsy against the serene, elegant woman... It did not help that her tutelage under Alune had been mostly solitary, so that she had no idea what views they shared and where their beliefs and world views strayed apart.

Humming absently as Maude prattled on, the young Sage listened with half an ear to the cheery rant and only gave indication that she had actually heard the request when her head turned and pale, unblinking eyes bore down on the young apprentice, not angry so much as they were scrutinizing, steadily searching the fair girl's gaze for her intentions.

"I see" she said. There was a long pause, silence stretching out but for the sound of slow footfalls as she kept going, following no particular trail. "And you will be supervised, I assume? Your potions cleared before usage, an actual healer attending the sessions..? I will not be a guinea pig for you to experiment on, I would have that be perfectly clear."

Strangely enough, Erthë did not take offense to the question. Maybe it was because she detected no ulterior motives within the girl, or perhaps because she herself was so desperate for a change, a way out of the vicious self-destructive circle she had slipped into as of late... Regardless of which however, she refrained from deciding anything until Maude had had a chance to reply, and it would be very curious indeed to see if she would be intimidated by the serious, almost stern expression the Sage wore.

How serious were she, and would a new side to the big sister/friend put her off?

DANCING IN DARKNESS
to the sound of a drum

World's Edge Filly
Bunnie

Though Erthë did not entirely rebuke her idea, or yell, or curse the very notion, there was something distinctly chilling about the way her pale eyes rounded on Maude’s eager green ones, and unwaveringly searched her face for… something. What precisely it was, the filly did not know, nor particularly appreciate the seeking of, either. Feeling every fiber of her being tense up as Erthë’s pale eyes size up the tiny healer, Maude’s steps become slower, as if wading through thickened air, for as long as that haunting stare seems to drive into her soul, and it is not until she releases the breath she’d been holding, that she realizes she’d held it at all.

Without flinching, however nervous she is to be rejected, the youthful herbologist’s eyes stare back into her friends, no malicious intent hidden behind her genuine want to help ease whatever burdens might limit the distances Erthë would go in life. Sure the pale story teller would do the same for her, if the rolls were reversed, all Maude wants of the experience is the knowledge, and practice, and, perhaps, a bit selfishly, some more time with the rather interesting hybrid who had enjoyed her songs.

Her laughter is a small bell of a delight as she comes to the realization that the winged snowflake is likely to let her attempt her studies, after all.

Oh, no tinctures or potions! I don’t know much about them yet, other than some plants go in oils, and others in water…” not that Erthë cared about that, Maude reminds herself, apologetically flashing a smile as she eagerly continues, “I was more thinking a poultice or somethin’, to start! But Miss Lyanna or Daddy are always close, and Doctor Sacre too.

Her smile grows all the more lopsided at the slight rhyme of Sacre’s name to his profession, her youthful giggle revealing the humor she finds in it all the more clearly than her childish smirk does.

Art by TheCallyBear@ DA

Chan

She kept her face stern for a moment longer, but it really was quite impossible to stay serious with Maude, so before long her face too split into a smile. The vague pounding that had been the beginning of a headache drained away as her tension eased, and she finally nodded that she accepted the young girl's request.

"Alright then, you have my permission" she said. "I should let you know however that several healers have looked at the leg before, and that a god turned down a request to heal it..."

Turning her head forward again, she kept glancing down at the filly from the corner of her eye.

"But if that does not discourage you... I could really use help with finding some other form of pain medication, if nothing else."

A shudder barely suppressed rippled down her spine. Better not to get her hopes up, but if Maude managed to find such a thing then... Red petals had been haunting her dreams lately, disturbing her sleep with their alluring call. The cravings were growing worse by the day, the pull to consume more and more ever harder to resist. Already she was taking more of the drug than she should; remembering Tembovu's concerned face did not make it easier in any way.

Wishing to think of something - anything - else, Erthë picked up on something Maude had said and looked down at the girl again, just as she turned onto the path that lead to her favorite clearing.

"How do you intend to heal without herbs and potions?" she asked, in that she eased herself to the ground. A sigh of relief as she took the weight of her legs showed better than words how much it truly bothered her; but her expression showed quite plainly that she was not ready to go into that discussion quite yet.

"Do you have some gift I don't know about - magic perhaps?"

DANCING IN DARKNESS
to the sound of a drum

@Maude

World's Edge Filly
Bunnie

A God?” asks Maude of the air, more than Erthë, looking away and at her hooves, suddenly quite daunted with the task she’d asked for, and been given. Of course, she’d not meant to entirely heal her friend, either, having a realistic view on herbs; they could only do so much. The most the ginger kissed pearl was truly hoping for was that that story teller would be, at the very least, in less pain, and hopefully able to glean more satisfaction out of her life for it.

As if reading her thoughts, Erthë mentions pain management, which is certainly something that Maude can help with, though she may not be able to right the wrong angle of her friend’s bones. Nodding her head, and regaining her confident smile, the filly again prances with eagerness alongside her friend, rather than worry – though she misses the worried shudder down Erthë’s spine, in the process of all her sorting her thoughts out.

She can do this!

Even if I can’t fix it, I’m sure I can help,” Maude cheerfully intones.

When the pale woman asks her how she plans to heal without potions, and if she has magic, the filly grins. She forgets, growing up with an herbalist for a father, that not everyone knows all about plant healing. In a world of magic, it was perhaps easier to assume that all things were magical, when, in fact, a lot of their world was quite plain. What was miraculous about plants was that they were every where, and that almost every single one of them could benefit the body, or spirit, in some way, not that they were innately imbued with magic.

I don’t think so,” musingly begins the filly, on the subject of having magic; she certainly wished she did, that’s for certain, but wishes don’t give her the ability to heal with mist, like her Daddy did, “I’ll use herbs though! A poultice is like, a, a, hm… an herb jam, all wrapped up in a binding! There are lots of plants that alleviate pain from the outside in, and most of 'em smell really nice. You’ll see!

Art by TheCallyBear@ DA