the Rift

[OPEN] Frosty

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie

Snow!

Even more wonderful than leafy cover of Orangemoon, was the white blanket frosting the open clearings of the Edge, and the very brim of the world falling away into the sea itself. Along this treacherous brim she scampers, safely distant from the precarious ledge, but close enough that she can almost see the sea, if she stops to crane her head over.

She had done so already, having crossed the wide, Moon’s wood to see what became of the wonderful snow when it met the ocean. The daughter of the Moon Doctor and snowy story teller was quite dismayed to discover that the salty water seemed to swallow the snow, leaving only cool, grey caps, sloshing and splashing beneath the slow trickle of new flakes. Still, the song of the ocean against the far below stone and shore makes for good background to the chilly rush of the wind curtaining through the snowfall, and so she has not trailed far from the precipice at all.

Pausing from her playful prancing to press her nose through the cold blanket, she gasps in surprise of its swiftly chilling effect, snorting with bemusement to clear her soft muzzle of the clinging crystals, and melting frost. Again, this time more prepared, she plunges her face into the covering, nudging aside the chilly substance to reveal very cold grass.

What does cold grass like? she wonders, her ears perking forward at the interesting thought; though she is certainly not ruled by her belly, Maude does enjoy food. Nibbling at it and chewing thoughtfully, she lifts her head to scan about her while she dines, deciding, almost instantly, that it was almost exactly like normal grass, but watery.

It also was not very good. Deciding then and there that she would peruse other varieties of food for the duration of this season, in hopes to find something better than wet-down grazing, she continues her quest for something to do. Heading back through the open expanse between the edge of the Edge and the trees, at last abandoning her sea-side music, she thinks that, perhaps, she will go study in the greenhouse, or help her father in whatever tasks he had for the day…

Art by neverrmind @ DA

@Erthe
Hold onto this lullaby, even when the music's gone.

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

Shimmering porcelain cloves dug deep into the frozen whiteness with persistent, stubborn intent that payed no heed to things like hunger or steadily growing discomfort in old scars. It could have been worse. So far the white layer that had settled over the Edge and all its grass and edible plants consisted of that loose, fluffy kind of snow that was easy to shape and easy to move. No ice had formed yet, so the task of digging out something to fill the belly with was not yet arduous.

It was merely tedious. Especially since the heavy gray blanket of clouds in the sky kept spewing out more of the stuff at an alarming rate, so that hoof prints would disappear if left alone for mere minutes.

But Erthë kept at it, glad for something to do that didn't require too much thought. Things really hadn't gone her way lately, she seemed to be staggering from one mistake to another like a bear drunk on fermented apples. Making a mess wherever she went. Whether that was actually the case or not didn't matter - it was how she felt, and dwelling on it ruined most of the delight she felt over the snowfall and the storms.

"Aha! I knew there were some left..."

Scraping off the last layer of snow from the ground, Erthë grinned as she spotted the half-frozen, round outlines of fruit around her feet. The dim light emitted by the glow-bark tree under which she stood cast a strange light over the scene, sending the shadows in a hundred different directions; it seemed appropriate somehow, and the girl couldn't help but admire the effect as she reached down and pried off one of the small baubles from the ground. Chewing carefully around the center pit, she savored the flavor that erupted in her mouth, all sweet and bitter and a little pungent where the peel had started to go bad.

It was her favorite treat by far. Left to her own devices the horn-crowned seraph would easily be able to clean out the treasure in no time at all, but... it wasn't really fun to keep it all to herself. Reaching for another, she sucked thoughtfully on it and looked around, unsure what to do...

Then she spotted the foal, and another grin spread across her lips.

"Hey, tiny!" she said, calling out as she shifted the treat in her mouth. "Come here for a bit! Have you tried these before?"

A winter-white wing reached out towards the child in eager invitation, all while the snow kept falling and dancing in the salty ocean breeze.

Erthë
and my knees are shaking - - and my dreams are breaking - - but i know i live today

bg || image || table

@Maude

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

World's Edge Filly
Bunnie

When a voice calls out to her through the whipping whoosh of the wind, and the steady thrum-thump of her hooves through the gaining snow, Maude swiftly stops, the blanket of white breaking away in toppling waves alongside her dainty hooves. Her doll’s face turns towards the sound of the summoner, pale green eyes wide with curious wonder as to who speaks to her.

A snow fairy, she thinks at first, her tiny mouth dropping open in wonder at the dainty, pure white winged thing, illuminated by the glow tree. She regains her wits quickly, however, determining the girl to be the same she’d seen at the meeting with the Moon, almost as quickly as she’d assumed that girl to be a fairy. Still, it’s understandable, as the pale creature is still as pretty as Maude remembered her to be then, too. Feeling part of her heart drop in remembrance of her own, pale mother, missing now for some seasons, the babe tries her best to push aside her sorrow, to eagerly face, what she hopes, will be a new friendship.

Trotting over the snow with high steps and a smile, Maude pauses to look down at the unburied treasures that the pretty white lady has found. She hasn’t ever tried them before, but she also has been trained to be a healer; the sight of fruits, unknown, albeit being eaten by someone else, make her hesitate. Hadn’t daddy said that not all fruits were actually food? Yet, it would be rude to not try them, considering she had asked and all…

What are they called?” cheerfully inquires the cream and ginger maiden, her antlered crown dropping downwards to investigate the fruits with her lips gently. She pauses to wait for strange sensations from that alone, trying her best to remember the following steps to trying any new plant.

No tingles, so she gently bites into the fruit, letting the (rather tasty) juices move over her tongue, but not actually taking the flesh with her. When what feels like long enough (it’s not) passes for her to assume the juice is safe, she takes an eager bite, sighing happily at the unique taste. Why had she never been introduced to these before? She muses, savoring another bite of the tasty thing, waiting until she’s swallowed her delectable tidbit before adding:

I am Maude,” smiling up at the snowy lady, from where her head is still lowered to keep eating when she’s done talking (these things are way too good!), the filly proceeds to chatter over what she presumes to be a very fine, lady’s brunch, “I would like to be a healer one day. I saw you at the meeting, with King Tembovu and the Moon. Are you a seer, too? Like Mister Alune?

Art by neverrmind @ DA

Chan

Erthë smiled back at the filly, easily charmed by the open cheeriness the child exuded. Once, before wars and death and chronic pain began to darken her spirit, she too had been happy like that and it wasn't so long ago that she had forgotten what it was like to see everything for the first time. Though the occurrences grew fewer in number as she got older, it still happened often enough to keep her sense of awe and wonder at the world alive. Being able to introduce another to something was unexpectedly pleasant - almost as if she was given a second chance at discovery herself.

"They're glow-wood cherries. I don't know if it is the proper name for them, but everyone I know calls them that. What do you think..?"

Glittering eyes watched in amusement as the girl gingerly tested the half-frozen berries, expectations for the reaction rising all the more because of how careful the kid was. She was pretty as a day, little Maude; almost as pale as the philosopher herself but with a different, golden tinge to the coat that made Erthë think of spring dawns and ocean sunsets. A string of pearls tangled in the growing antlers, no doubt a sign of affection and love. She could see why; barely more than a kid herself the young hybrid had most teenagers disdain and lacking patience for young children, but for once she didn't really mind the string of questions that peppered the air.

Apparently the cherries got a seal of approval; Maude wasn't running away in tears after all.

"Haha no, I'm not a Seer. But Alune is teaching me how to become one, so maybe some day in the future I might be."

Reaching down for another fruit for herself, Erthë reached out a wing to hold it over the gold-masked filly, intending to shield her from the ever falling snow.

"I'm Erthë" she said. "Do you like helping people, Maude?"

Erthë
and my knees are shaking - - and my dreams are breaking - - but i know i live today

bg || image || table

@Maude

World's Edge Filly
Bunnie

Glow-wood cherries; the word bounces through her head like a little rubber ball, as the flavor bursts on her tongue. The hard pit, gingerly removed from her mouth as the last of the cherry’s fleshy goodness is chewed away, tumbles through the pale snow, leaving a sticky, obvious trail in the pristine white; she swiftly furrows about for more, pausing for time as much as she is desirous for another taste. Besides, she had, after all, seen many of these pretty trees in the Edge, and was sure there would be more fruits about the bases of the others to go around. That she’d never had a regular cherry, however, made it hard for her to determine whether or not glow-wood cherries were the right name. Sure, they obviously came from a glow-wood tree, but that was, as far as Maude was concerned, quite unimaginative; it also, however, was obviously easy to remember.

She thus became quite conflicted over the name in general, thoughtfully chewing on yet another succulent fruit, and carefully dropping another pit from her ginger lips, in as lady like a manner as she can manage.

I suppose it’s a good name,” surmises the filly at last (mostly because she can’t stop vacillating from one conclusion to the next), “though surely the name can’t describe how yummy they are. Who names these plants, anyway? At least “glow-tree” is simpler than what type of evergreen is which, that’s for sure. Even though daddy says they don’t, they all look the same to me. But this fellow is definitely what he is.

Anytime she’s thought of lady-trees, she’s led to the wonder of whether or not they can get pregnant, like other mothers. The thought of a fat, pregnant tree was, needless to say, not one Maude cared for, and was perhaps why she assumes this one is a male, like her own Hometree.

Going back to the exposed cherries, already relatively full (but unable to stop eating them), Maude chews while listening, a skill she’s trying very hard to hone. Graciously accepting Erthë’s protective wing with a cherry-speckled grin, the filly sidles a little closer after shaking what snow has accumulated on her pelt away. It is good to be close to someone who is bigger than she is (not that her daddy and her friends don’t cuddle with and linger close to her, too), and Maude, having never experienced cruelty from others, easily trusts the older girl.

Won’t you get cold, though, Erthë?” she inquires firstly (though truly glad to have the cold flakes no longer gathering on her back), repeating the mare’s name, before continuing on to answer the snowy woman’s questions, and to ask more of her own shortly after; her brows furrow down at first, the girl having not been asked that particular inquiry of her future field before, but her smile quickly returns, “I think I will! I helped Auntie Aelfwine once, is all, but it felt nice. And I really like being in the greenhouse. Even with the snow outside it still smells warm, like summer, inside.

The faintest hint of guilt crosses her young face, but she quickly wipes it away by grabbing another cherry, and talking around her chewing (in a very unladylike way, despite all her other attempts to be dainty and courteous).

They probably need help keeping the snow away,” wincingly grins the filly, her smile returning to full vivacity as she, instead, thinks of how important getting to know a future Seer was, “but its okay. I’m too little to reach the roof, anyway! Besides, I like talking to you. Do you like telling stories and learning stuff?

She thought that was what the Seer did, anyway, aside from obviously talking to the Moon Goddess.

If you’re tossing & you’re turning,
& you just can’t fall asleep,
I’ll sing a song beside you. and if you ever forget
how much you really mean to me, every day,
I will remind you.

Art by neverrmind @ DA

Chan

She found it rather impressive that little Maude was capable of such a complicated line of thought already. Clearly there was real intelligence hiding behind that beautiful face of hers, a bright and eager mind that would one day bless the herd. Erthë quietly prayed that this child should be spared from sadness and sorrow for as long as possible; it would be so sad to see her generous trusting nature alter and change. Kids like this one - like herself - should never have to think about anything but fun and games and learning, fulfilling their dreams and growing strong. Erthë smiled down at the golden doll as she happily ducked in beneath the wing, but there was a shadow of grief in her eyes as she regarded the girl.

If only there was a way to grow strong without having to face dangers and feeling your beliefs tremble and waver. Darkness could be so terrifying, it was difficult sometimes to remember that it was a necessary evil, needed in order for light to grow brighter and distinguish itself. Like the night envelops the stars, separating one from the other and turning each unique and beautiful - what would they be, if not for the shadows? Merely blinded by their own shared radiance, lost and directionless.

But perhaps this child would not have to experience grief just yet, the young Sage thought, without knowing that sadness already had sought out the young fawn and invaded the perfect utopia of joy.

"I'm always cold" Erthë said with a smile and reached in to tickle the filly's ears with pink lips that looked flush as a sun-warm rose but held the same deadly chill as the winter around them, colder even than the falling snow. "I find this temperature much more to my liking than the warmth of other seasons. I thought I would really melt this past Tallsun, it was terrible how hot it was."

Frostfall was a period of respite for the young snowflake, a time of relaxation and ease that was all too precious. Perhaps one day she would grow accustomed to the warmth of the other three seasons, but right now she dreaded the coming spring,  nightmares of burning suns and melting ice haunting her sleep until wandering the snow-covered landscape brought more rest and solace than any fitful slumber.

"Helping out is great, but you don't have to do everything like the grownups do yet. You are still a foal, Maude, and that means you have other things you need to work on instead. Like exploring the world around you, growing up strong and dream big dreams. When the rest of us grow old we are going to need you to make sure we stay healthy and comfortable, and how can you do that if you wear yourself out already?"

She was probably preaching to deaf ears, but Erthë thought it might be worth a shot to at least try saying it. If they were half as similar as she thought, this girl too would grow up to work harder than she played. Erthë had not had anyone to tell her when it was time to quit and go do something else; she had trailed after the leaders and the Seer hellbent on being of use to them, and in many ways she still was. In doing so however she had lost many a precious thing that only foals possessed, lost out on so many sights and experiences... Not to mention that she had grown up much too quickly, innocence gone by the time she saw her first summer.

"I do, I love learning more than anything else" she said, nodding her emphasis to this question. "I collect stories, you see, histories from a long time ago and from yesterday too. I want to know all there is to know; about people and plants, about the past and the world we live in, and about the gods too, their purpose and powers and why they do what they do."

A light began to glitter in her pale eyes as Erthë thought of these things, her smile widening in enthusiasm.

"Do you know any stories, Maude? It can be about anything at all, as long as you find it interesting! Would you tell me one?"

Erthë

bg || image || table

@Maude

World's Edge Filly
Bunnie

“I’m always cold,” says Erthë, and, at first, Maude looks over at her with wide eyes of worry, wracking her small brain for any sort of illness that might make one cold all the time. However, the snowy scholar is smiling, and it doesn’t seem the listless, sorrowful smile of one who suffers inside, and attempts to be strong on the outside (like her daddy, as of late, whenever they tucked into the den beneath the roots of their tree; her mother’s worn divot in the earth, still obviously vacant, and his usual jovial face lacking its luster as he turned to her to kiss his babe goodnight). The touch of her lips upon Maude’s tiny poll is also a surprise.

Whoa!” she dramatically chatters, a shiver racing from the chilly patch between her ears to the very tip of her silk bound, growing tail, “that’s neat magic! I bet it does make Tallsun pretty awful, though.

In actuality, she loves the summer heat; it was under those piercing rays that she was born, the most dire and withering Tallsun in years being the first she would know. Of course, she has no clue just how hot this year was, at all, and simply assumes it’s always like an oven in Helovia during those months. She had come to love the heat in all the ways Erthë seemed to not like it, and, unlike the training Seer, she had not come to resent the cold, either, though she certainly missed the green plants and the red foliage of the seasons passed.

Still, the revelation that Erthë essentially was snow makes it that much easier to settle in beneath the shady awning of her wing, the filly wriggling some of the accumulated snow from her back and haunches; between the ethereal hush between their words, the squishy sound of chewing and the crunch of their furrowing for more cherries creates a rather peaceful ambiance.

It makes it easier for Maude to think about what she’s told next, while, other days, she might have swiftly cavorted into the next topic, seeking to avoid being a grown up, exactly as she was asked. However, even the creamy ginger darling knows that, sometimes, kids have to think, too.

You’re probably right,” she says, smiling, having abandoned her carefree munching while she’d pondered. Sure, she enjoyed working at the greenhouse, but there were other times she resented it. Maybe Erthë was right, and too much time there now would mean she’d be loath to spend some there later. Besides, if they truly needed her help, wouldn’t someone come and ask her for it? “Besides, I’d not have got to meet you, or try your tasty cherries, if I’d gone to help!

Returning to her eating, her belly starting to feel the slightest bit dodgy from all the natural sugars, Maude ignores the sensation out of a gluttonous need for more (perhaps precisely why she’d never been told of the cherries in the first place). Pausing occasionally to playfully roll a seed about in her mouth, as she does while Erthë talks about being a student of history and lore, Maude almost swallows it out of sheer delight when the snowy hybrid asks her for a story. The pit pierces the snow where she spits it vengefully, an ever so slightly offended expression stealing over her enthusiasm as she gives the seed a last glare for so attempting to plant itself in her belly.

Just how would she look with a glow cherry tree growing out her back? Plain ludicrous, that’s how.

Well, I’ve made up lots of stories,” she begins, a slight blush burning beneath her pale coat as she shares her most personal (and favorite) of hobbies, aware she doesn’t sing as well as some, “most of them are songs. You wanna hear one? Most of them are about fancy balls and other royal affairs, but I think they’re good!

I will remind you.

Art by neverrmind @ DA

Bunnie the Bonnie Lass Posts: 9
OOC Account
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 25
Bunnie
Unarchived per request.

Chan

The smile just didn't want to leave her lips in the presence of this girl. From her exuberant reactions to the delightful mixture of maturity and childishness, Maude reminded Erthë so much of herself that it was hard not to laugh. She did hope that this little ray of sunshine wouldn't have to bear the same scars however. Pray that the Moon would watch over this innocence, that it would linger for a long time to come and that she, unlike Erthë, had parents able to set boundaries.

It had been a wonderful thing to explore Helovia, but also very lonely, and she had paid a price for her thoughtlessness and overconfidence.

If she were so inclined, Erthë could have lectured for hours on the dangers of growing up too quickly... But knowing how she had been, she doubted it would make much of a difference. Instead she folded her legs in beneath herself and settled down in the snow, tail wrapping neatly around the diminutive shell of a body as she made herself comfortable.

"I would love to hear" she said, warm and perfectly attentive as she fixed her gaze upon the young filly.

Part of her braced for the experience, expecting something silly and childish indeed. A song, eh? Erthë had little experience with music, but she thought herself able to hear when something was good or bad, at least...

Hopefully she would be able to praise Maude with a straight face, and better still it would be if she could do so without lying... too much.

Erthë

bg || image || table

@Maude

World's Edge Filly
Bunnie

That Erthë would in fact like to hear one of Maude’s songs makes her both very eager to start, and very nervous, all at the same time. The realization that this is her very first performance for someone whom she is not related to strikes her quite suddenly, and, for a while, it leaves her quite flummoxed as to which of her repertoire to utilize.

She has many (and I mean, many) songs about princes, and princesses. She has even more tales of parties, dances, and fairies, but which of these would her new friend like the most? Maybe she is just over thinking it all, anyway…

Taking a deep breath, the tender hearted child of Arah and Tilney chooses her favorite: a song about Trewdwellan, and her family. Though her singing voice is certainly not delightful, or one which would be praised throughout kingdoms, its also not horrible, and that she is still a child serves greatly in her favor.

Trewdwellan, my root roofed home,
the end to all paths I might roam;
a place for my weary head to rest,
and for my family to be their best!

Each has their own,
an individual home,
be it a cave, a stone,
a shell, or a bone;
deep in holes, like the moles,
or beneath a tree, like me!

Some of my friends sleep in the wind,
or about the curve of river’s bend;
they rest at night, or in the light of day,
but each have a home, in their own way.

Oh, each has their own,
an individual home,
be it a cave, a stone,
a shell, or a bone;
deep in holes, like the moles,
or beneath a tree, like me!

I will remind you.

Art by neverrmind @ DA

Chan

As it turns out, it was not at all hard to listen to the girl. Erthë soon found her face split in two by a wide grin, mirth and delight equally present as she nodded along with the melody. No, it was not expertly sung, nor was the lyrics brilliant or captivating. But it was endearing to no end, and by the time Maude finished the young Philosopher flapped her wings in appreciation, the beat of feathers against the snow as much applause as she was capable of giving.

"That was wonderful!" she said, and meant it, pale eyes warm as she regarded the young mender-to-be. "Did you compose it all by yourself? I think you have mistaken your calling, girl, you should be a singer rather than doctor..."

Then another thought struck her, and with a smile she amended; "No, you know what you should do? Have your father take you on a visit to the Aurora Basin. There is a mender there named the Songbird, for her voice hold much power and she can close wounds merely by singing to them. I bet you would enjoy that, and miss Lena too no doubt!"

She had not thought of the healer for a long time, but though recollection of her face has faded over the years, the memory of the voice that sung health and life to her mother would likely never fade.

"Now, can I hear another one?"

Content where she lay in the snow, Erthë was in no hurry to go anywhere. This day was turning into a very pleasant one indeed, and nothing save perhaps a comet falling from the sky or chaos returning to her peaceful world could pull her away. With an encouraging nod to her young friend Erthë cleared her mind of everything but the present, finding more peace in doing so than she had felt in a long time.  

Erthë

bg || image || table

I feel content leaving this thread here, feel free to reply again or not, whichever you prefer. <3

@Maude

World's Edge Filly
Bunnie

Laughing with delighted relief and true happiness that Erthë liked her song, Maude’s hooves dance beneath her with mirth. Her pale tail lifts, the strand of pearls carefully bound about her olive wrap and those delicately placed in her antlers wriggle, and the entire filly seems to come alive with her sheer joy that her most favorite thing to do is not so terrible for others to put up with, after all.

Sure, her father liked them, but that was a daddy’s job, after all! It was wonderful that a real storyteller, with no familial obligations to her, liked her work. Erthë’s joke makes her giggle too, her pale lashes pressing in on her citrine eyes, her smile is so big.

Oh, thank you! I did make it myself!” grins the filly, proudly arching her neck; as to giving up her future nursing career to be a bard, however, Maude wasn’t so sure. How did songs help everyone as much as taking care of their cuts and bruises did? It would be awfully selfish of her to focus on music, rather than healing! “I guess I could sing to my patients to help them get better faster.

She giggles, liking the idea, mostly because it seems frivolous, and unrealistic. What her newly found friend says next, however, makes her pale green eyes widen with utter surprise. You really could heal people with music?!

Whoa!” reverently remarks the filly, her head instantaneously painting this miss Lena into the most beautiful, well dressed maiden in all of the Aurora Basin, with an aura of pure gold that shimmered and rippled like moonlight plated in metallic perfection. She didn’t remember meeting her at the Festival, but she had been really young, too, and they hadn’t stayed very long… especially after Maude had started to fall asleep at random, but she was definitely going to ask her daddy about it!

Daddy and Mommy used to live in the Basin. I wonder if they know her?” quietly muses the filly out-loud, gazing up at the snowy heavens as if they might give her an answer, but Erthë’s request soon draws her out of her pondering.

Oh! Of course!” she giggles, smiling while she thinks of which to sing next, “as many as you want!

Clearing her throat, and leading into the next song, the clearing resounds with the girl’s youthful voice, as she sings about the snowflakes falling down onto her face, and sticking to her pale eyelashes:

Water crystal, offering of a chilly sky,
laid among your brethren, piled knee high;
a-glimmer with light, like stars in white night,
color borrowed from the near things you know.

Cold as ice but not as hard,
you seem as if a glassy shard:
snowflake, snowflakes, from above,
cover up each branch and shrub…

I will remind you.

Art by neverrmind @ DA