the Rift

[OPEN] Shelter

Ru Posts: 130
World's Edge Captain atk: 7.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1h :: 3 [Tallsun] HP: 60.5 | Buff: Novice
Mar
HOLD MY HAND AGAINST THE NIGHT

SHOW ME ALL THE DEMONS LEFT TO FIGHT:

With each day the winter numbed her spirit. It had flailed and fought against itself, against the world – it seemed. Living each day as it came. But the heroine could not live without contact. She craved a warm voice; a firm touch of reassurance, familiar faces, scents. Such haunted her steps, and inhabited the shadows in the twilight – the late mornings, lacking the sun’s true strength. Lacking the power to breathe life into the fading memories of the dead.

From cool winds to bitter storms, and to the wet and frigid seasons.

The young mare trudged through the snow, the faintest idea of her plan pulling her tired body along. A thick layer of snow collected on the earth, it spilled softly from the gray sky. Covering the girl as she went along. Usually, she wasn’t so fond of the cold. But she had learned to ignore the light blanket of numbness spread across her body. It helped that her wings could add warmth to her sides, but Ru was largely unaware of her physical condition. It was hard for her to reconcile the troubles she’d put herself out there in the wild. Without words to describe the empty adjustment, it was easy to ignore the common pains of a wild-child. Though a wild child no longer.

With dulled eyes, and a steady breath, she settled just outside the World’s Edge borders. Ears pricked forwards, cautious eyes scanning the grounds. The girl’s tail swished, and all at once Ru felt incredibly anxious. She could feel it swelling within her breast, bottling in her neck – as if to choke her with each breath.

Steady, her mind rumbled on, alone in that head. A command she would follow, simply because it was the one thing that tethered her to this reality set ahead. Mother’s confident gaze vanished with the blurring of her face, and the generic tone of her voice.

She was doing well then. She was in control after all – wasn’t she? For a moment it felt like it, a fleeting thing that cracked easily under the weight of a shaky inhale. The sting of the cold, the girl’s parched lips.

Every worst-case scenario flitted through Ru’s mind. Suddenly she couldn’t bare to think she might be cast out into the wilds for eternity, that no one would want her – whether that’d been from her poor ability to communicate, or the low desire to welcome more mouths during the winter. Or that she was quite useless, wasn’t she? It was building, and churning, and hissing inside of her – thoughts, all unnecessary and superficial – would not stop.

Ru grit her teeth, inhaling with a shiver and glaring out ahead of her. Swallowing hard, in an attempt to push that feeling away. 

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
musonart!

[Ru wants to join the herd... :F]
Please Tag
Permision to use any violence/harm; nothing that would cause immediate death

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

The cold air and the layer of glittering snow made her feel alive like no other season ever could. Perhaps it was the magic that coursed through her veins that made her so well adapted to this climate, or just a personal preference that would remain even should her body thaw and turn warm like everyone else's. It didn't really matter either way, because Erthë had never known anything else. She loved the winter winds and the dark nights just as much as her mother had relished the sun and sand of the south, and the snow-covered landscape brought a peace and calm to her that she very much needed.

The past season had been turbulent, and she had a feeling that they had yet to see the last of Kisamoa and his quest to purge the Dead Lands. The past events lingered in her thoughts but on the whole, the young mare preferred not to dwell too deeply on them. If there were decisions to be made she would make them whenever it proved necessary and leave the rest to her leaders. In the meantime, she enjoyed the peace and quiet of home and the chance to catch up with her friends and family.

She hummed a quiet tune as she strolled along the borders, cloven hooves treading easily along the path the warrior patrols had stamped down earlier in the day. The melody was hard to make out, frequently interrupted and restarted as she tried to recall how it had gone. Noe really was amazing, able to sing such a difficult song without faltering... Erthë had made it a point to have the mare teach her, but so far they hadn't had a chance to talk since the singer joined with the herd. In the meantime she did her best to practice, though whether or not the results were good... Birds had a tendency to take off when she tried the higher notes, and it would be a long time before she tried to get the opinion of someone else.

Again the pale seraph began to hum, but when she interrupted herself this time it wasn't for any flaw in the execution. Instead her eyes went to a figure that stood beyond the treeline, still and forlorn looking with snow capping shoulders and dock like a chilly cloak.

"Hello?" she said and stepped off the path, managing with some difficulty to shuffle through the deep snow towards the stranger. "Are you alright?"

ERTHË
I’m a princess cut from marble, smoother than a storm
Image Credits

@Ru

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Mar

The winter did not bode well for her, simply because the past did not warrant comfort. It had stolen from the girl, and it had cursed her to walk the earth alone. One would think the days would all blur into one conscious memory of what it was like. Somehow the days, stretched with the silences of nature, instilled years upon her brow however. As she waited there, neglecting the need to notify her presence with a bellowing cry, the snow brought her back to the day she crossed the threshold.

Of all things it had been a rabbit that drew her out, poking energy into her step – bringing light and salted giggles into the open. It must have been the smells that excited her, the murmurs permeating the air. When the world appeared simple and manageable.

At the time Ru ignored the idea that her family was dead. Preferring to hold on to the hope that they lived, that they would bring her back to their fold any moment. Alas, death remained the enigma. To be without, to have nothing when it was there a moment ago, burning down to the last moment before the storm, before the winds separated them. A hum on the air breaks the girl’s concentration to her immediate world. The perils, the risks – curling and wavering all together upon the stranger in the distance.

Ru takes in the stranger, noting the multiple barbs curling out from that head. The pale landscape of their body, and from what Ru can only make out, is cold blue eyes that set themselves upon her. Ru remains still as the stranger’s voice calls out. Somehow, the girl rumbles in response, despite having no desire to admit her failure for seeking out the herd. And nods, just incase her gravelly voice did not breach the distance. There was the risk that Ru could be pursued by flight, should she warrant the mare’s ire for whatever reason. But as the stranger closed their distances, it became more apparent that the other was perhaps around the same age. And perhaps Ru could escape her pursuit if she was quick enough.

“Are you alright?”

It would be a foolish thing to ignore the obvious. Or so Ru concludes, ignoring the plethora of emotions drained from her face. How can she fake exhaustion? She hasn’t quite mastered that art yet – should there be a reason for it in the future. Ru simply shakes her head from side to side. Her eyes drift further in the Edge, trying to make her point as clear as ever. And lifts a stiff right wing to point where she gazes.

She waits a moment, so that the stranger can follow the tip of her wing or the flood of dull light exiting those eyes into the Edge’s depths. Shuffling those frosted feathers into her sides, she steps back only once – and lowers her head in what Ru has known as a sign of submission. She wants in.  

Ru waits, quiet, still. The beat of her heart racing against her ears, as each of those fears lathered her mind. Saturated with uncertainty.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
musonart!
Please Tag

Chan

The stranger didn't reply. Instead she began to make gestures and shuffle about, and Erthë rolled her eyes in exasperation. Why was it that all the mute ones ended up around her, who had no patience whatsoever for guessing games? Pursing her lips she did a quick once over of the pegasus, appraising the signs of tiredness on the face and looking for wounds or hints that there might be something wrong beyond exhaustion or hunger. When she couldn't find any, the young mare flexed her wings in a gesture remarkably like placing hands on curving hips and fixed the nameless applicant with her pale, mismatched eyes.

"Please speak up, if you are able" she said, somehow managing to keep her tone friendly despite the irritation that crawled like ants beneath the skin. "I need to know your name, at the very least, if I'm to help you. I get that you're tired, but I cannot let you in unless you tell me what you seek here at the Edge."

Following the quiet stare of the other back towards the border, where the sentinel trees stood tall and cast their deep shadows across the snow, Erthë wished someone else would show up. Preferably someone of rank, because even if she wanted to let this person in it was not for her to decide such things. To be honest, she wasn't sure she did want to help every soul that appeared before the iron gate... The leaders were far too lenient, allowing entry to everyone who asked without looking into their past or their reason for seeking out the Moon's mist-veiled lands.

If it were up to her...

But it wasn't.

"I'm Erthë, a Philosopher of the Moon. Who are you, and what do you seek here?"

Redundant or not, the filly really wanted to hear a spoken answer. Call her stubborn, call her nitpicky or stiff or whatever - she'd rather jump into a Rift than let a mute stranger with Gods know what intentions pass the borders on her watch.

ERTHË
Image Credits

@Ru

Mar

The girl ignores the strange and odd gesture of the wings. It simply adds an inquisitive tilt to Ru’s head. Unaware of its need or reason…

The gentle demand adds to Ru’s fears however. She lifts her head from its lowered position and settles a steely gaze on the stranger. From this distance she can now see those eyes. The left appears blind – she assumes – and for a moment she stares too long. She doesn’t care; for all their imperfections she would have to prove her’s somehow in the next couple of seconds. A bit of a chore, a game, a puzzle; deciding to hold her amusement from the curve of her lips, she regarded the stranger with a steady stare.

A snort exits her nostrils as Erthë finishes, a critical frown finally etchies against those brows. Perhaps for the Philosopher of the Moon, it would finally dawn on her that she could not speak. Although, from the tone and content of her words, she seemed highly suspicious – simplicity might be a challenge. A stark contrast to Lyanna’s warm offerings; if only she’d been present instead of the astute inquisitor.

The girl shakes her head, and paws the ground with a fore hoof. In a manner that may have appeared impatient, bold. It came without warning, and by then she was far too gone to take it back. The feathers lined against her neck flare. Those previous fears, she began to wrestle them – they irritated her, and submission apparently did come easily to the girl. Whipping her tail from side to side, she gestured towards the Edge with her head. Nudging her muzzle down and up to the herd lands.

“Ah-!” 

And what a small and unintelligible sound it was. Hoarse and uneven; ugly.  Ru tossed her head and shifted in her spot.

Several possibilities ran through her head. She could depart and never come back, depart and come back – hoping someone else would meet her at the borders. Or perhaps she could force herself in? She could search for Lyanna, and Lyanna could tell them… she would vouch for her, wouldn’t she?

Ru wouldn’t give. She huffed, a puff of air exiting her mouth – unimpressed with the situation. Annoyed, emotions frayed and thin. She’d only been able to remain calm for so long, and now everything was becoming undone.

“Urgh?” So…? What was going to happen now? Ru watched Erthe, with a frown that had become sharp and infused with a fervid impatience.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
musonart!
Please Tag

Chan

Under the intense stare of the pegasus gray eyes Erthë had to fight not to twist uncomfortably. Refusing to let the unease she felt at being stared at like that show, she stared back fixedly, stubborn and insistent. Something like irritation seemed to mirror her own in that unblinking glare, and in the shuffling movements of the other girl she thought herself able to detect restlessness.

As lips parted Erthë dipped her ears forward, expecting to finally hear a name, a plea, anything at all. But when all she got was an unintelligent groan, the reality of the situation finally made her features soften.

"I see. So you really can't speak. That's... I'm sorry."

She bit her lip. The situation had suddenly grown complicated, because now there was no way for her to find out who this person was or her intentions... Well one intention was clear enough, she wanted to enter the herdland... but why? To join, to speak to the leaders, to find a healer...? Maybe she was a spy sent to gather information on them, maybe she belonged to an outcast band preparing to invade - Tembovu did seem to think an attack was imminent, what with his insistence on reinforcing the border defenses, so this didn't seem too far fetched to the milky swan.

But if the girl couldn't talk, there was no way Erthë would be able to find all of this out. Which meant... A long, heavy sigh forced its way past her lips, breath so cold on its own that the chilly winter air could not freeze it, and with an expression as if she was doing something against her will the elegant young hybrid stepped around, motioning with a wing for the mute applicant to come along.

"Come on then, let's go find a leader. I'm not ranked high enough to decide on this, and they'll have my head if I turn you away. Not that I want to do that, you know, it's just that I don't necessarily trust you... It's nothing personal, I simply don't know you."

The milky white eye, magically enchanted with vision just as keen as the green one, turned back to give the nameless one a look that was as frank in its suspicion as it was sympathetic. In no way did she dislike this quiet person. That had nothing to do with it whatsoever; even if the feather-maned bird had been cheery and full of charm the young priestess would still have been leery of her intentions.

Leading the way towards the trees and the border, Erthë raised her head and neighed loudly, attempting to draw the attention of border patrols, leaders or whomever really that might be nearby. If she had to let this stranger into her home, she wanted plenty of eyes to watch over her, preferably someone who could take responsibility for any potential disasters...

Oh, how she wished she had more authority. Things would be so much easier if she could just make authorized decisions on her own.  

ERTHË
Image Credits

@Ru

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra
so i listen to the    wind for an answer
The neigh that comes from the border, just outside the trees, is a familiar sound. Erthe? Lyanna immediately jumps forward, moving as quickly as she can through the trees without tripping on roots or snagging her wings on a branch. She’s been living here long enough to know her way through the woods well, but still, a flat out gallop just really isn’t an option. Though she would, particularly not knowing why Erthe is calling. Though the neigh doesn’t sound pained, she doesn’t think (not that she’s certain she could pick that up from so far away), so she isn’t overly worried.

Still, it’s her job to worry. At least a little bit.

But soon the familiar white form comes into view, and she seems perfectly fine. Lyanna’s eyes drift to the other mare that stands next to her, and though the girl has grown, Lyanna recognizes her immediately. “Erthe!” she calls warmly, the smile on her face even larger than normal at seeing Erthe and Ru both. She reaches her black muzzle out to touch Erthe’s side in a friendly gesture.

Then, uncertain how Ru might like such a greeting, she angles herself slightly instead so her tail is visible. There, ties haphazardly with hair, is the brown and white feather Ru had plucked from her wings. Call her a sap (she is, after all), but she’s kept it there. It was a bit messy, but tying hair with her mouth wasn’t a skill she really had. Instead, the feather was more or less just tangled in there now. But still, it was there.  

“I wish I knew what to call you,” she says to the brown and white girl (mare now, really). “Do you have a name in a way you can tell us?” she asks again, pausing for a moment for an answer before turning her attention back to Erthe.

“I found her a little battered and bruised near the cliffs once, and offered her a home,” she says, by way of explanation. It does seem a bit strange, likely, that Lyanna knows this stranger on their border. Though not that strange, certainly. There were plenty of common lands in Helovia to have run into others as well.

Her teal eyes drift back to Ru then, with the question in them. “Are you here to stay?” she asks, careful to keep her voice neutral in the question. Not because she doesn’t want the mare to stay, but because it should be Ru’s choice, and not influenced even by the hopeful sound of her voice. Normally, she’s simply sound hopeful and offer an out, such as “or are you just here for another adventure?”. But in Ru’s case, Lyanna wanted to stick to yes or no questions as much as possible. It did make conversation a bit easier.

lyanna

art by yewrezz

@Ru @Erthe

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Mar

The apology is strange and barren upon the lips of a stranger. Ru offers a small grunt, noncommittal to the suggestion of accepting the apology, and watches for Erthë’s next move. The sound of her weighted sigh, and the particular contortion of that face reminds the girl of a familiar gesture. Witnessed perhaps several times on different faces, dismissing the need to dissolve her furrow. For it stands as steady as her gaze, sharpening her features in the coolness surrounding them. Unmoved.

Although, she is grateful to move on. The dun shakes the snow collecting against her body, ruffling wings, and flicking that tail. Erthë explains her suspicion, but the feeling is mutual. Ru nods with a chirp that exits from her mouth. She understands, and for a moment the tension finally seems to ease off. Despite the bad taste that lingers in her mouth. She will persist, she will adapt despite her failures, challenges and learn somehow. The girl doesn’t realize how homesick she truly is…

She can feel the pale eye glance back – and perhaps it isn’t as blind as the girl had first thought. But the look is brief, and Ru ignores the weight or the severity that it holds to push further in. Head held high, ears pressed forwards, approaching trees that the girl could recall from her first visit to the Edge.

With the billowing cry that exits Erthë’s mouth, there will soon be others to join them. The idea is an uncomfortable thought, to be examined and appraised for entry. A small amount of tension begins to twist inside her, but with the appearance of Lyanna there is hope. A small smile crawls against her features. Ru trills in greetings, eyes beaming when she spots the feather nestled within Lyanna's tail. That lofty smile finally blooms. Discarding indifference for radiance, a light that breaches past those weary eyes. 

”Do you have a name in a way you can tell us?” She shakes her head. No, not yet, but perhaps someday she would be clever enough to think up of one? Or perhaps she could tackle it with someone who had the time to search her for the words and sounds.

Lyanna asks the inevitable. The girl deflates and nods in response. She isn’t sure what she should feel – happy? Sad? She wasn’t certain what this herd life was going to be like. As long as it wasn’t empty, and forlorn; unless the goal of herd life was to become something the collective desired, needed. To make oneself valuable, is that how it's supposed to be?

For the time being she treasured her brief encounter with Lyanna. And stepped forward, awkward and hesitant before she extended her muzzle to her dark shoulder.

Was this failure, or grace? She simply couldn’t tell, too proud and tired to delve any deeper than the surface.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
musonart!

@Lyanna
Please Tag

Chan

It didn't take long for someone to show up, thank the Moon on high. The knots that had begun to form in Erthë's shoulders dissolved with the emergence of the black-and-white mare, a smile of relief greeting the healer with as much feeling as the return bump of noses.

"Lyanna! That was fast, thank you. I'm really not good at this" she mumbled hastily to her friend, and then stepped back to let the teal-rimmed mare take over. Apparently she knew the mute stranger, and that caused another set of knots to resolve themselves; if Lyanna had invited this person then everything should be alright. Good thing she hadn't turned them away - that could have gotten ugly.

"That's good then" she replied after the mender had explained the situation, stretching her wings as she fell in on the opposite side of her herd-mate. "I wasn't sure what to do when she couldn't answer; I know the leads accept pretty much anyone who asks to stay, but..."

She shrugged. It was no secret that she thought the careless acceptance of strangers into their midst to be reckless and stupid. If Erthë were to decide she'd be more selective, inquire further into the past and the intentions of these newcomers, maybe even put them on probation for a while before they became fully accepted members of the herd. Instead they absorbed individuals indiscriminately, handing out ranks of authority like they were candy and trusting without question, not even pausing to consider whether a person would be good for the herd or not.

It was a beautiful ideal, that everyone should be welcome, but the girl couldn't help but think it naive, possibly even dangerous.

Still... she rather envied Lyanna her ability to wholeheartedly embrace the newcomer like she did. To be so open and warm to someone who didn't even have a name was incredible, and the way she so naturally considered the needs of the wordless while still keeping up a conversation... The cygnet shook her head in quiet admiration, wondering to herself where she had gone wrong, to become so cynical.

ERTHË
Image Credits

@Lyanna

Kyra
There is an unexpected warmth from Ru; a trill of greeting, eyes beaming, a giant smile – that sends Lyanna’s heart soaring. Perhaps it shouldn’t have been unexpected. The girl had plucked a feather from her wings (something Lyanna had never even thought to do) and given it to Lyanna. She’d taken it as a wordless thank you at the time, and probably it was. But had there been more as well? A token of friendship, maybe? Not that she cares either which way because now Ru is here, so apparently Lyanna’a offer of a home had meant something. Even if she’s only here for a while, a place to rest, it is still something. Lyanna wants to give only what the girl truly wants to take, after all.

Erthe greets her warmly as well, stepping aside a bit, though Lyanna is certain to leave plenty of space for the other mare to feel welcome. She doesn’t like being deferred to, really. It feels strange to her to sit in a role where yes, she gets to make decisions, but many who have lived here longer do not. She respects the opinions around her as much, if not more, than her own. “Give yourself more credit, Erthe,” she says warmly, sure the girl did her best.

Ru shakes her head at the question of a name. Lyanna pauses for a moment, slowing her steps as they wind their way through the blanket of snow and the trees. The branches above shudder and sway in the wind, depositing snow on Lyanna’s back, turning her more appaloosa than black. She’s gotten more used to the harsh winters of Helovia, but still, the weather is bitter. “Should we just call you Feather for now, maybe? ‘Hey you’ just doesn’t seem right.” She pauses, waiting for a nod or a shake of Ru’s head, though after a moment she adds. “Clearly, I’m not very good at names.”

Erthe speaks again, trailing off at the butt. Lyanna looks at her thoughtfully for a moment. “It’s hard,” she says after a moment. Hard to know what someone means when they cannot speak. Lyanna spent a childhood learning to watch those around her for any signs or unrest, unhappiness. That was her job as Princess. Keep the peace. Read the expressions and manners of the diplomats and foreign dignitaries. Keep the peace. Oh, how she’d failed at that. “But everyone is capable of deceit,” she says, voice soft.

There’s a brief flicker in her teal eyes, a mixture of grief and guilt, that disappears as quickly as it had come. You could be careful. You could watch and learn and listen. You could work with someone for years though and never truly know what they believed. Who had the rebels been? Plenty of commoners, plenty of faces she’d never seen and never would. But there were a few inside the court as well. Their General, for one, who Corbin had called a friend. Lyanna had believed it as well. She’d never seen a moment of hate in their General’s eyes, never heard a whisper of rebellion on his lips. She’d only seen her brother and his friend, learning to fight and chasing pretty girls.

How many other friends had stabbed them in the back? She does not know, but she knows at least of a few more. Knows that likely, there were others she does not know of. And truthfully, does not want to know.

She should, certainly, trust less. Of all horses, she has seen first-hand what can happen when you trust freely. But how could you really know someone’s intentions? If so many had lived and worked within the court of Morham for so many years, surely someone would have at least had a suspicion of their true intentions. But there are some very clever actors in the world, it seems. And so, she chooses to trust, to live in a world that is naïve but beautiful. 

Her attention is pulled back to Ru though, as the girl seems to deflate at coming here. Again, Lyanna pauses, feeling like she’s doing an awful lot of this in this particular moment. There was something heavy hanging in the air, perhaps. The tension that ran through the herd perhaps infecting everything? She did not know though, really. Instead, she smiles warmly, adding, “You will never be forced to stay,” because the Edge is not a prison. It is a home. A family, even. They certainly bicker like a family sometimes.

Ru steps forward, and any darkness lingering in her thoughts vanishes as the girl presses her muzzle to Lyanna’s shoulder. Lyanna returns the gesture, before adding, “You are welcome to simply just join the herd, but I have to ask, are you interested in a job?” she pauses, again waiting for that yes or no shake of the head, before saying more.

lyanna

art by yewrezz

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Mar

The girl notices the small bit of space provided by Lyanna. Despite its small measure, Ru had ever rarely experienced it before. Besides the occasional mass gatherings, this was a far more intimate inclusion. It was a form of being embraced, given the circumstances. And while Lyanna and Erthë talk, the girl simply found herself dumbfounded.

Her attention halts on Lyanna, after a swoon of air causes snow to plop onto the ground, snow dusting the air. She addresses the predicament of a name, a calling. She offers a nickname, making the girl grunt without realizing. “Clearly, I’m not very good at names.” A light grin confirms that she agrees with Lyanna on this part, though the expression steadies itself. Fading quickly for thought. There’s hesitation with her nod to confirm the name, only because Ru doesn’t like the idea of ‘feather’ replacing her real one. Or preventing anyone from searching for it with her… The prospect of reclaiming that sound remained nestled, settled in those hopes and dreams. In no circumstance would she abandon its cause with laziness, relenting to made-up things, for ease and simplicity’s sake.

‘Feather.’ She’s lost in thought once more when the pair continue to talk. It wasn’t a very formidable name, not the kind of name that struck fear or respect in your enemies (not that she had any).

Ears twist up when Erthë mentions their predicament. Which seems to be something the inquisitor hasn’t been particularly fond of, or so the theme persists. The girl manages a brief raise of her brow, cast towards the pale mare in careless ire. Their worry would appear logical, but the girl cannot fathom logic with the miles behind her. If she had a voice, she might tell them – if they were willing, if it made a difference. But she knew in the end it wouldn’t have. Perhaps it would paint a clearer picture, perhaps she might convince them – but all liars have voices. And the things of time and action could attest true intention.

Or so Ru imagines, because she can’t possibly think of any other way. Unfamiliar with the dealings of the Edge, despite Lyanna’s words, reflects her indifference for it’s inner workings – it just isn’t quite her business yet.

Lyanna continues, providing the assurance of escape. It wasn’t quite the physical cage she feared, compared to the social one. Always looking in. But perhaps it’s to be expected as a newcomer. The obsidian-clad lady, with her warm words of encouragement offers a curious question. Ru has never thought of jobs, besides her heroic intentions. The mare tilts her head and coos out, a sound that dips and heightens regardless of its imperfections. Hoping to mimic the depths of a question.

But if it will keep her busy, if it will make her useful and valuable to their eyes – then perhaps a job would be worth it after all.

The girl nods after the flare of intrigue, chirping brightly in response.

Why not?

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
musonart!

@Lyanna
Please Tag

Kyra
She can’t help but grunt at the girl’s response to ‘Feather’. It’s warranted, because it’s a terrible name. She can’t really pretend that she’s struck upon gold here. No, she’s just stolen the idea from Ru herself. Only when Ru did it, it was cute. The feather in Lyanna’s tail holds sentimental value, and it reminds Lyanna daily that she has friends here. That this is home. That this life can be a real life, and not just a place to waste away wondering what might have been. She’s been thinking about what she can ultimately do with the feather, because the haphazard way it’s tied into her tail isn’t going to last forever. Maybe she can get a string, collect a few more items. Or maybe she ties it to the gold chain (whenever she manages to find something to tie it with) that also holds her ruby. A collection of all the things that remind Lyanna this is her life now.

That maybe she matters. Even if only a little bit.

“We’ll work on it,” she says, returning Ru’s light and amused grin. “At least until we figure out how to find out your name.” She pauses for a moment, turning her attention to Erthe. “Are there mind readers in Helovia? Or something of the like?” She has no idea, truthfully. Magic here is different than magic in Morham had been. Though it is elemental here, no one controls the elements completely. That had been common in Morham, mastery of a particular element. Some horses were more skilled than others, but still, there was little magic besides that. There, magic seemed to be a little bit of everything.

She turns her attention back to Ru, the mare seeming interested in the idea of a job. Lyanna brightens slightly, because this she understands and can explain. She remembers Tembovu and Alysanne asking this same question when she first joined. She remembers having no idea what jobs there even were. They had explained with more patience than she probably deserved. Lyanna couldn’t say what exactly drew her to healing. Crafting also would have been interesting, or Erthe’s job as a Seer. She was no warrior, really, and no sleuth. The rather bright teal on her coat made it rather hard for her to be sneaky. And she simply didn’t like fighting, though she’d been thinking perhaps it was time for her to practice her skills again. Just in case.

“There are a number of jobs you can pick from. We have warriors, who’s primary job is to the protect the Edge, and they practice spars constantly, from what I’ve seen. Sleuths, who steal items and horses, though I believe mostly items here. But who also protect the herd’s members and items from other sleuths. Healers, who gather herbs, tend the garden, and keep the herd healthy. You’ve already seen the healing magic granted to the Moon Doctors – there are three of us total. Crafters, who craft items from glass here and work on the many herd projects and buildings you will seen around the Edge. And Seers, who collect stories and commune with the Moon Goddess. Erthe can tell you more about their ranks, since she is one of our Seer’s. Though I will admit, at least as far as I can tell, it seems like a job you would need a voice for.” She says this kindly, and without pity. It is offered like a fact, in the same way she would say she is not cut out to be a warrior. Everyone has their strengths, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

She pauses for a moment, turning her attention to Erthe. “Is there anything I’m missing?” Lyanna waits for Erthe to reply, giving any more useful information that Lyanna may have left out, particularly on the Seer ranks. She is not, truthfully, all that familiar with that Alune and Erthe do. When Erthe is done, she turns her attention back to Ru. “Do any of those sound like something you’d want to do?” She pauses for a moment before going on, pausing between each of the next words to give Ru a chance to say yes or no to each. “Warrior? Sleuth? Healer? Crafter? Seer?

lyanna

art by yewrezz

Sorry Erthe, I jumped ahead, but I had train time and working wifi and wanted to take advantage. :)

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Mar

That would make things easier, wouldn’t it? Mind readers… The girl hums quietly at that. She wasn’t sure how liberating it would be, if it could. Would she feel anything to begin with? Would she hesitate to place a thought, for fear of its unrestrained exposure? At least she was safe with her own thoughts and words, unable to breach air and offend or disrespect outright. How odd that would be…

The matter of jobs inspires further curiosity. Lyanna appears to be beaming, as Ru’s eyes glitter with the desire to listen. A ghost of a smile crosses her features.

It surprises her – and she keeps this surprise hidden, for the most part – that there are many disciplines to a herd. Having grown in something wild, and less diverse as the World’s Edge, the possibilities are by far more endless than first perceived. And in enthralls the girl unlike anything she’s come across in a while; besides the healing magic, and the fiery golems slipping beyond Volterra’s feet.

Warrior is a common job, a familiar job – and there is the opportunity to align herself to that caste she felt determined to conquer. But there was more than the honor bestowed upon knights. She doesn’t recall the word sleuth, despite her attempt to steal a magical flute. Strange that they too were capable of protecting the herd, when the warriors could have easily done so – should their patrols prove rigid in regime, and flexible by nature. Nonetheless, there appears to be a role for such individuals.

Healers, Ru nods when Lyanna mentions the Moon Doctor’s magics. Her eyes swirl with an inclination of awe. There is a very strong desire in the girl to understand how such things can be. As if there should be an explanation for all things, but somehow, magic is a vague area of study. It did not exist in Ru’s previous life, besides the common and simple medicinal values of herbs and plants. So what gave magic its existence here? Was it simply metaphysical? Unbound by the logical roots of the natural world?

What was natural? The child hardly knew, could hardly fathom it – and tossed aside the surmounting pile of questions growing behind her eyes. She would have to struggle with it some other time.

Then there are crafters, and seers. The smile has long vanished, but the simple facts irk the girl despite their sound logic. It’s true though, and the truth has a tendency of pointing the obvious. With a hollow sigh she nods lamely.

Finally she asks, returning Ru’s focus. The girl stares at Lyanna, suddenly uncertain about her path – her desires, burning quietly behind her chest. If she wishes, can she be many things all at once?  Perhaps a warrior can be a healer, or a crafter… Perhaps they can be a scholar and a seer.

Without thinking ahead, she simply nods with her desire for such things. A trilling noise highlighting her intrigue. But as Lyanna holds space between the many jobs, the girl nods to the most obvious choice; warrior.

She pressed a more genuine smile on her lips. Ru was excited, she was eager to discover. Despite her previous fatigue that dimmed the edges of her eyes, and slowed her movements between their interactions. Physically she could feel the cold encroach, but she was beginning to feel a little warmer within. She was hesitant of that presence, if such a feeling should exist, or if it truly deserved a headspace. It was confusing; was it possible to feel interest, without having to desire a sense of worth alongside it? If she could take one of these, and make it her own, was it her ultimate goal to serve the herd - and their interests - rather than the ones she felt selfishly passionate for? 

What was the difference?

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
musonart!

@Lyanna     I'm jumping in... I hope this is okay! Just wanted to get Ru accepted. Feel free to post whenever Erthe. Or shoot me a PM and I'll take this post down for you to post! :F
Please Tag

Kyra
She isn’t sure there’s much of a difference between serving the herd and serving her own self-interests. There is, certainly, some difference. There are certainly days where she would rather disappear in the Deep Forest or the clouds than make sure all the various births were going smoothly, or whatever might call to their attention. But even on those days, she enjoys her job. Doesn’t necessarily mind giving up a few hours of flying to make sure new children are welcomed into this world safely and soundly. In the end, she finds it rewarding, finds that the joy that swells in her chest at helping is as good as the joy she finds in the woods or the sky.

She doesn’t serve the Edge blindly. There is too much she doesn’t know, though she’s never been given an order that she disagreed with. For now, she trusts her King and Queen though, and she trusts their judgment. But she’s knows this may not always be the case. She knows one day she might be asked to do something she does not agree with, and she may choose her own beliefs and interests over what she is supposed to do for the herd. Hopefully, that day never comes, but having lived in the world of politics long enough, she knows it might.

Ru seems excited by almost everything Lyanna says, though when Lyanna pauses after warrior, the girl makes it clear this is her first choice. “Our highest ranking members of the army are Nyx and Elsa, I believe, though there are other warriors who can help you as well. If you would like me to help you find them, let me know.” Not that she even knows all the warriors here, but she could help figure it out at any rate. “And if you’d like to learn more about any of the other jobs, most everyone here is willing to teach. I’d be happy to show you the gardens and teach you about herbs, if such a thing ever interests you.”

She pauses, trying to think if there’s anything else she should add, but for now, it seems like enough information. “Is there anything you need from me now?” she pauses, waiting for a yes or no, before continuing. “Or I can leave you alone if you’d like to explore and find your way.” Because sometimes, you just need to find your own feet.

lyanna

art by yewrezz

@Ru - sorry for the wait! We can end it here, if you want, and they can meet up again soon. But happy to continue if you have more :)

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Mar

Ru does her best to absorb all there is to listen to. Unfamiliar names that taint the air with importance, which repeat into the girl’s mind for the sake of retention. Their echo presses into her memory, hopefully locked, neatly placed for future encounters. Although she was hard pressed to say such a name. A description would have been more suitable. Nonetheless the girl is relentless, and she accepts the challenge of finding these individuals on her own. There is only so much Lyanna can provide, that she can offer before Ru insisted on tearing away and treading her own path. Simply for the right of owning her own worth, in a world, in a home that knew very little of what she could do or be.

“… If you would like me to help you find them, let me know.”

And with the first bit of dialogue crossed between them, she shakes her head to decline. She must accept the fact that she is no longer a child seeking love, security and endless grace. But holds on to the tether that she has found a friend in Lyanna. That is, if she can repay all that she had done.

But she offers what Ru has been seeking for. At least a part of it; knowledge – the opportunity to expand her mind with more than the fury and bloodlust of battle. Something to counter the anxiety, and the pain that came with physical exhaustion, of teeth and wounds, and the fear of failure looming behind her. Something that is different, and valuable – the winged mare nods with an enthusiastic chirp to her lips.

Yes, certainly! She smiles with the thought.

As for the rest, the girl is certain she can manage on her own. But the lingering thought of Lyanna’s assistance burns a steady reminder within the girl. That she must repay her somehow in the future.

“Is there anything you need from me now?”

She shakes her head, - no, I’m good for now.

And a nod –

“… explore and find your way.” - yes, thank you… She releases a trill from her throat, a warm, rolling click. Appreciative, as she approaches to nudge Lyanna’s shoulder; and despite all that has transpired throughout the course of the day, Ru finds herself a little more hopeful.

As she pulls away she clicks underneath her tongue, and grins as she runs off into the Edge. For a moment the fatigue pulls away as the cold begins to shake off. Long enough for the girl’s soul to soar and wrap around the possibility of attaining her childish dreams.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
musonart!

@Lyanna    -- I'm happy wrapping it up here. :3 But I'd love to thread them in the gardens; I'll have a post up soonish :)
Please Tag