the Rift

[PRIVATE] please let me explain

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
so I take off my face, because it reminds me how it all went wrong
but I leave in my heart because I don't want to stay in the dark

Now that Mauja had been resurrected from his icy grave, Mesec had some explaining to do - to a few different faces in the Edge. He wanted his position in the Edge to work and it wasn’t going to work if Erthë kept speaking poisonous words against him, kept making meetings uncomfortable.

Not that she didn’t have good reasons, but he was different now. And he wanted her to understand and if she didn’t understand at least she would know.

And Tembovu, well, it was only right to explain to the King who had welcomed Mesec and his children into the Edge who he had let in. Some of it, he was sure, Tembovu must have guessed. His heritage, at least, wasn’t as closely guarded of a secret as Mesec liked to believe.

Dreading this conversation just as much as he needed it to occur, Mesec found a sunny clearing in the Edge. The snow had ceased for the day, at least, and the late morning light shone on the snow and sent it glittering. There was a purple tent a little ways away but he wanted to feel the light - and he wanted everything out in the open, including himself. This was about coming clean.

Unsure of where he might find the two he sought, Mesec asked Lucius to search through the woods and ask them, encourage them, to follow him. The demigod was especially careful to ask Lucius to be nice about it. Erthë was already unnerved and frightened, having a large dark bird scream at her probably wasn’t going to help matters.

As Lucius flew off, Mesec stood there in the snow and did the only thing he could - wait.  

art by astralseed at deviantart.com

for @Erthë and @Tembovu
as it says in the post, set after the Mauja rescue - I just felt like getting something up :D no rush on replying!
feel free to PP Lucius finding them/leading them to Mesec
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

The fuzzy little ears on Erthë's head nearly disappeared in the tousled curls, and she looked less than friendly when she appeared before the moon-child. The sour look she gave him was blood-shot and red rimmed, the disheveled feathers and snow-laden back suggesting that she had been asleep when the Roc had found her. Not that it had been a very pleasant one; as usual her dreams were filled with stalking shadows, the sleep fitful and offering little in way of true rest. But it had been sleep, and it was precious enough that she wasn't happy to be woken from it regardless the reason...

For it to be Mesec of all people that disturbed her didn't exactly make her mood improve.

"I would say 'good morning', but it's neither morning nor particularly good" she said, with a hoarse voice more befitting an individual four times her age. She made her way gingerly through the snow, the limp in her gait more painfully obvious than usual and punctuated by sour grimaces whenever the snow proved deeper than anticipated and brought on a jolting impact with the frozen ground beneath. Stopping with a good deal distance left between herself and Mesec, Erthë adjusted her wings and eyed the man suspiciously, too tense to hide it even if she had been in a mood for politeness (read; fake cordiality).

"What do you want?" she asked him, blunt and none too polite.

The spectacle at the glacier was still fresh in her memory, and though she would have loved to forget about it the young girl simply couldn't. It hurt to much to recall how she had been continuously shot down, not just once but several times. Her warnings had been disregarded, her suggestions frowned upon, and to make matters worse she had managed to disappoint her Goddess. It had been a disaster, the only good outcome being Mauja's safe return to the herd, and in her eyes it was all Mesec's fault. If only he hadn't been there, flaunting his monstrous form for everyone to see and hogging all the good parts, Erthë would not have been told off!

It rankled, it stung, and though she somewhere in her subconscious mind knew she was being unfair, it felt really good to have someone to blame everything on. She did not want to be reasonable, she did not want to make peace; she wanted to be angry and hard and cold, clinging to her bad memories as though they were precious treasures.

Letting go would mean she would have to own up to her own inadequacies, and who wanted that, honestly?

Waiting for the rain I'm bracing for the thunder
A twig that wouldn't sway in the wind

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu
A dark bird, one Mbwene immediately recognized and sent the mental image as well as word, ’Glow-man,’ of Mesec to the King appeared in the sky before them. Though the starkly white feathers framing the bird’s dark face and bright white beak gave austere airs to the zephyr, it seemed that the night-winged bird was on his best behavior. With a flap of his wings (that settled a blanket of dark night over the King, elephant, and eagle) and a quiet and reserved click of his beak, he bade them to follow him.

With a thoughtful pause, the King did—though Mbwene had immediately trundling after the zephyr. After feeling the gaping hole of losing Edgar’s friendship (though Chico did much to fill that hole), she was very intent on the dark and brooding Lucius. So, with her trunk raised and round feet trotting, she trumpeted for his great wingbeats to slow. Tembovu shook his head slightly, a wry grin turning up the corners of his thick lips as he, too, struck a slow jog in the zephyr’s evening wake.

“Mesec,” his low voice rumbled warmly in greeting as his thickly spiraled horn tip dipped slightly in greeting—he would be in the man’s debt for finding his Mauja (despite his immortality). Though his ears and attention flicked sideways as they caught the words and sight of another—“What do you want?”. His brows raised at the rudeness in her tone, “Erthe,” this time, his deep rumble of a name was a rebuke rather than greeting, “Disrespect will get you no where.” It seemed that, to the King, he spent more time reprimanding the filly as of late. His black-rimmed ears tilted backwards at the thought, his navy eyes lingering on the pearlescent filly he saw as a daughter; a soft sigh pushed out of his nostrils.

And then he turned attention to Mesec, glancing once at Mbwene as she sidled closer to the dark zephyr, trunk raised and seeking his feathers once again. “You called?” His brows raised slightly, wondering why the man summoned the King.
the Elephant King
image | bckg

@Mesec

Please tag Tembovu.

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
so I take off my face, because it reminds me how it all went wrong
but I leave in my heart because I don't want to stay in the dark

Young Erthë might spit venomous words his way, but she still came after Lucius had woken her up. The roc warned Mesec that he had woken her so she might not be quite as pleasant as she had been every other time the pair had come across her. While he waited, Mesec suppressed a groan - it wasn’t going to earn him any more favours with the pale girl that he had woken her up from her sleep. Few would be charitable after such an instant.

But she came, looking a little dishevelled and limping in a way that caused worry to flicker through Mesec’s silver eyes. He didn’t respond immediately to her words because soon after her arrival, the Lucius arrived back with the King and his elephant close behind. Mesec nodded his head in response to Tembovu’s greeting, waiting until he had spoken to Erthë before he addressed her as well - his voice pleading. “I know you don’t trust me, or like me very much Erthë, but please just hear me out.” Then his silver gaze shifted to Tembovu, ready to get right down to the point of why he had called. “Yes, I did. When you welcomed me and my children into the Edge, you didn’t know the full story about me, and I think there are two main points you should know, Tembovu. After our trip on the glacier… you should know why Erthë does not like me.” That was basically what it boiled down to, anyway. Mesec had not thought there was any reason to tell anyone about his history with the warg shifting because it was not a problem anymore - it was completely under control. But Erthë wasn’t going to let him just brush it aside.

Lucius, meanwhile, was eyeing Mbwene with caution and curiosity - not having seen such a chunky looking creature since the last time they spoke to Ampere. He wasn’t quite willing to settle onto the ground to greet her but his long tail feathers drifted down from his perch on Mesec’s back, almost brushing the soft snow below and well within reach, and he did not move them out of the way just yet which was something.

With a deep breath, Mesec pushed himself in - knowing that if he lingered any longer, he’d never get the words out. “First, and perhaps most important, not very long ago I was cursed. I had in me a magic that took over my body when I was distressed, turning me into the warg creature you both saw out on the glacier. But I… I wasn’t in control of my body when I became that monster.” He used the word Erthë had applied because he agreed with her - the warg was a monster. “I wasn’t even aware of what was happening while the warg was in control - when I woke in my own body, I thought I had just blacked out - and relied on Lucius to tell me what damage I might have done. It hurt others, including snapping at Erthë when she was younger.” His silver eyes, weighed down with sadness, then flickered over to the pale girl then. “I can’t express how sorry I am, and I hope maybe knowing why will help you not to hate me so much. I would never intentionally hurt you. My mother helped me quest to get control and there is now no chance that I will accidentally shift or harm anyone else.”

A pause and he’s waiting for her reaction, hoping for some sort of understanding and fearing more anger, but there’s a little more still to be said and he cannot stop now so his eyes move once more back to the king. “Which I guess leads into the second thing I think you should know. I’m the Moon Goddess’ son. It’s not a fact that I flaunt openly, nor one that I wish to be flaunted, but it is something you’ll find out sooner or later, if you haven’t already, and something I think you should at least be aware of, now that I am living in the Edge.” Mesec didn’t actually remember the last time he had so blatantly said that fact - except maybe to his children when he was explaining who their grandmother was. He had wanted Gaucho to know too, when he arrived in the Throat, full of apologies for the actions his mother had possessed the Wildfire to do. It just did not seem right to him to conceal such a large fact from the herd leads. He supposed he should find Queen Alysanne as well, after this, or perhaps Tembovu would pass on the message. It had just seemed right to tell the king first, as the one who had originally welcomed Mesec and his children into this herd.

art by astralseed at deviantart.com

@Chan
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

smitty the swift Posts: 22
Administrator
Mare :: Other :: 1 :: 1
Unarchived per request.

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

Conflicting emotions raced through the young filly as she listened to the demi-god. On one hand she could understand, with her head at least, how the past events had been no fault of Mesec's. Everything about him, from his pleading tone to the sensible words he spoke, screamed of regret and pleaded forgiveness, asked her to relent and hand him what he wished for. A part of her did indeed ease up as he explained how the beastly form had been a curse, that he had not been in control, and as she heard it Erthë felt her insides squirm with embarrassment. How much of a fool was she, to think that anyone would act like that without cause?! Everything she had said to Roskuld about him suddenly sounded childish, ignorant, petulant even. As though she was nothing but a child with a fix idea that every monster was real just because she had dreamed of it once.

But, on the other hand... The part of her that had clung to this dislike, this fear would not relent so easily. It was the immature side of her, the foal within, the jealous and haughty part that merely bristled at the King's reprimand and turned her gaze away as the black tribrid disclosed his parentage.

It did not help him in Erthë's eyes, that he should be so closely related to the Goddess. Not because she feared or hated the Moon, no it was the opposite. How dared he flaunt his ties to the Lady Erthë had worked so hard to approach? Did he enjoy flinging it in her face, as though to shove down her throat what she already knew; that he possessed what she would never gain in the same way, that he held the love and approval she herself might never gain?

Turning her face away the girl stood rigid, tense silence stretching out as she struggled to hold her tongue. That Tembovu was there to hear everything she might say helped, she had disgraced herself enough in front of him lately and she really did not want to make it worse. But how could he, and why did it have to look so much like... like a wolf?

Finding that she could postpone an answer, any answer, for much longer Erthë nodded. A mere stiff inclination of the head that surely looked as painfully humiliating as it felt, but at least she gave a sign that she had heard and accepted the story.

Forgiveness however... She just didn't know if she had it in her to forgive him for being who he was. It was unfair and terrible and it made her ashamed to even admit it, but though she really did try to banish the black tangle of dislike... it just wouldn't go away.

Waiting for the rain I'm bracing for the thunder
A twig that wouldn't sway in the wind

@Tembovu @Mesec
I'm so so sorry for taking forever on this reply! Don't know if you want to continue, just felt I had to reply with her reaction at least. :)

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu
Mbwene (triumphantly, as their bond rang with satisfaction) managed to touch the zephyr’s dark plumage. And, with gentle strokes, she confirmed that the inky feathers were as velvet as they looked—different than the sleek silk of Edgar. A pang of sadness hit the King through their bond, but his attention was focused on the Nightwind, for the words he was speaking held importance not only to Erthe, but also to the Edge.

Dark navy eyes closely watched the dark man, watching his silver eyes closely and catching the apprehension and sadness that flickered through them as his confession fell heavily in the sparsely misted air.

Strangely (or perhaps not so strangely), empathy swelled in the Elephant’s gut. He could understand being a man with uncontrollable anger. Had he not burnt Mauja alive? Had he not destroyed relations and families to exact his own revenge? A low, long breath pushed slowly out of his nostrils as he listened to the next confession: son of the Moon Goddess.

His eyes creased slightly as they narrowed, studying him—wondering just how the Moon Goddess’s son fit into the Edge. Did he wish to rule it? Commune with her? Command her warriors? Or, perhaps, create a new rank entirely for himself?

Or perhaps, the King realized, the man simply wished to raise his children where they might be closer to his own mother. It was clear that the twin’s mother was absent. So, slowly, he dipped his head in understanding and acceptance, “Thank you, Mesec, for sharing this with me—with us—” his gaze glanced towards the silent Erthe. And then, with a slightly grin, he rumbled, “Perhaps it will be easier to decipher your mother with you around,” and he winked good-naturedly.
the Elephant King
image | bckg

@Mesec @Erthë!

Please tag Tembovu.