the Rift

[OPEN] Policy Changes [SNEAKS]

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

Isopia
          Does your imagination try to make you what you wanted to be?
Because I'm sorry I do what I did, but it came naturally

[This is open to anyone, it just mainly impacts the sneaks. Feel free to have your character know this information IC! @Ranjiri - as an FYI if you wanna join?]

Perhaps this was the sort of thing her Father meant for them to do, when he refused their plea to build a temple. What Isopia would do now was not out of vanity or an attempt to prove herself to her Father. It was done because it was what she believed was right. And in the end, perhaps that was all that had mattered.

The warnings of Alysanne and Tembovu had not fallen upon deaf ears, despite their slightly hostile and antagonistic tone. For years now Knox had been their sleuth, and in the recent months, the old stranger had given away trinkets to those who could best him on the battlefield, or in a game of wits. But where had the items come from? Isopia didn't know if they had been stolen, but she could only assume that they had. No ones store-houses could possibly be so large. But regardless of those silent accusations, things would change in the Falls. If they didn't, her challenge really would have been a hypocritical venture.

"SLEUTHS OF THE HIDDEN FALLS. I WOULD HAVE YOU HEAR THIS." She called loudly into the crisp Frostfall morning. Her voice carried far, but just in case, she sent Hubris out to collect those that she was after.

"Theft will no longer be a way of life within the Hidden Falls. It has come to my attention that many believe thievery is an appropriate way of obtaining items, simply because that is how Helovia has always operated. But just because something is does not mean that we must let it stand. We have more than what we need, and never has the Falls fallen into such despair and poverty that we must steal to survive. There is no just reason to steal to fatten our pockets and line our bodies with trinkets." Isopia paused, golden eyes clear and death-marked skull held high.

"If any of you can give me a principled reason why we should let this practice remain, then I would hear it. If not, theft shall be removed from the list of duties that our sleuths must perform. "

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Asavvi Posts: 41
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 :: 2
Laine

Asaavi
No kiss, no gentle word could wake me from this slumber
Until I realize that it was you who held me under
Thought tripped their way through Asavvi's mind all the way back to the Falls. She wasn't certain how she could have deceived herself so entirely in the nature of her new home, building it in her mind as some perfect haven, based on what? Vague mentions from her childhood? Her desire to go anywhere but the Throat? The hidden Realm of the earth god itself had been what it purported to be, but Asavvi was disappointed in the people it housed. Somehow she knew it was unfair to hold the Czarina to some unspecified standard of nonviolence, it was wrong to hold the world to the standard. But again and again her mind slammed shut the doors and windows of compromise. Was it because her captors had ripped them all out? Asavvi's thoughts and opinions could not be separated from the ones that had so expertly shaped and inserted, not even by her, but flickers of feeling contradicted both again and again.

Violence was wrong. Those her perpetrated such acts were bad. Her parents were bad violent people. Still, Asavvi felt love for them.

The Mountain That Knows used violence to...what? Prove a point? Regain property? Asavvi wan't entirely sure but neither were right. Still, Asavvi wanted to talk to her, to learn from her.

And flickers of feelings only begot more feelings.

Confusion, discontent, apprehension, longing, all the things that sprung from her inability to understand why the world operated the way it did. The torrent of confused emotions swirling in her heart would not lay quiet despite how hard she tried to silence them. She was quickly discovering she didn't much like emotion as a general concept and even less as a reality that she was forced to contend with. Emotions were too unbiddable, too unpredictable, a source of conflict and of hurt. 

She listened to Isopia's announcement from the shade of the trees. It was definitely a change that stemmed from the confrontation in the Edge, and the girl approved of it even as she wondered why the Czarina wouldn't call the warriors and disband them all together. Stealing was distasteful, but nowhere near as much as using physical force as a means to an end. 

When it appeared no one else was stepping forward to claim the leader's attention, the girls tried to steel herself again intimidation. The mare's size and might was nothing to her status as a demigoddess, her leadership position, even the depth of her wisdom as Asavvi had seen it (most recent happening notwithstanding). Be bold. she told herself, even knowing she'd always been a coward.

The slender frame that stepped forward did not tremble despite her fear. The girl had always been a creature of slow and deliberate motion, and gentle mover, and that practice did not fail her now. She stopped before Isopia and inclined her head politely before looking up with guarded eyes. "My lady," Came the quiet voice. It shook ever so slightly; the limit reached on maintaining her outward composure. "It may be impertinent, I know, but I feel I must ask: Is violence not worse than thievery? Is it right to ban the latter if we still condone challenges and designate warriors?"
Photo and Table by Time
NON EST AD ASTRA MOLIS E TERRIS VIA
there is no easy way from the earth to the stars
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Asavvi in all posts ::

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

Isopia
          Does your imagination try to make you what you wanted to be?
Because I'm sorry I do what I did, but it came naturally

Isopia turned to address the voice that had called out to her. Asaavi - though that was not the name Isopia knew her by - offered a challenge to the change in policy that she had just issued. However instead of the anger that the filly thought she was apt to receive, Isopia merely considered her question thoughtfully for a moment before replying.

"Violence is a word laced with connotations that are not always apt." She began, the academic tone of her voice softened somewhat by her appreciation that someone had spoken out with their own thoughts on the matter. "The murder of a child is a strain of violence, the assault of one against another is likewise considered violent. But this is entirely different from the sort of actions that we see when a lion takes down a gazelle to eat. We do not judge that the lion has committed murder, nor do we say that his actions were wrong or immoral. There is a difference between violence, and the use of physical strength."  She paused, considering her own words to ensure that they aligned with what her mind thought, and then continued. "When we steal, we take from others counting on their weakness to aid our success. We take because we do not want to offer up something as a trade, and we do so as silently as possible, so that those we wrong might never even know our faces. It is dishonourable, and cowardly. Unless one is starving and their target is food, there are almost no legitimate reasons to steal. To fight on the other hand.." 

Isopia took a breath before continuing. "There are those who believe in non-violence above all else. That if one is attacked, the thing to do is merely to give in. I do not believe in such things, though I would be happy to debate their merits with you, should you be interested. No - Our warriors exist so that we have means of protection. And, as you have witnessed for yourself in the Edge, often there are competing points of view. When words cannot overcome chasms, sometimes all we can do is allow strength to be the victor. Is it not the same in nature? Do we need see the strong triumph over the weak? Surely the gazelle would prefer not to be eaten by the lion, but alas, there is an order to things. And finally, the sort of physical challenges that I speak of now - and not the sort properly associated with your use of violence, are between two consenting parties. This is one of the primary differences between this set of skills and those a sleuth possesses. The King of the Edge agreed to the terms of the challenge and willingly allowed the matter to be settled in a display of strength. Such is not the case when one steals from another."

With a spark of interest in her golden gaze, Isopia looked to the girl know as Csilla, to see what more she might have to say on the matter.

Lotherarius Posts: 37
Outcast
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.0hh :: 6 :: Ages in Tallsun
Danjah
The loud chirp of a familiar voice called the otherwise wandering brute into action. It was a voice that he recognised from past experiences, The Mountain That Knows. With a tiny thought he wondered just what her name actually was, but his Czarina was calling him. He was a Sleuth, after all. Shaking his head to try and believe that fact, he pressed on through the thick jungle that he found himself in, picking up his daggers through the cold and wet foliage as the he could feel the snows of Frostfall melting under his immense heat. The wing feathers touched the trees and shook them, causing more droplets to fall onto his redded pelt.

As he felt his way through to the voice of his leader, he soon found himself in the company of her. She stood there and spoke with huge authority, and he could do nothing but listen with lobes pricked forward. The Sleuth remained silent, not issuing a greeting before she had finished speaking. The topic, well that was one thing he had been not all that clued up on: theft. Lotherarius had learnt enough from Knox and his companions to understand the workings of his job as an Illusor, but he was very much infantile in the position of a Sleuth, and this was a topic that he longed to understand more. But as he listened, he understand that there had obviously been some sort of policy in place that regarded theft as a way of life in the world, something that was easily given and taken throughout the land and it was normal. This confused the brute, as he had always been led to believe that even in his own harsh native world there was no honour in stealing. But he continued to listen, trying to throw these thoughts out of his mind...

His Czarina finished speaking, but before Lotherarius was able to make an answer, he suddenly realised that another was present, a little filly. The mudded little fae spoke up, her voice seemingly shaking from perhaps being in the presence of one of their leaders. The question of violence over thievery was what she asked, the youngster conveying maturity and understanding for such a heavy topic. This struck The Mountain That Knows into the debate of what violence actually meant, and Lotherarius listened intently. It was hard to argue with her points, after all, he was a chief in his own right. Violence was part and parcel with life at the top, and staying alive.

Waiting for the pair to finish their own little debate, Lotherarius grunted slightly to alert the two faes of his presence in order to make his opinion heard, even if it was irrelevant. He spoke with a gaze pointing towards his leader, watching as her skull marked cranium appeared to dance in the light,
"I have listened to your words and I feel that whilst I am so soon into my position that I may have no place to speak of my opinion. But you promoted me and I would be honoured if you were to hear my words," he hesitated, hoping he spoke within terms, "I do not believe in theft, it is not honourable, even in victory of a battle. I feel that we would never be truly correct in doing so," he then paused, trying to think of a way to ask about how theft happened, knowing that his opinion was particularly invalid without knowing the ins and out of his new rank.

He waited long enough before stepping up to the young leader, the lady getting closer as he closed the distance between them in order to speak quietly to her, "I would love to know the real name of my leader, The Mountain That Knows," he smiled courteously and genuinely, a small fear within him throwing his voice slightly shaky as he realised that this could jeopardise his position, "I have not long been a Sleuth, or an Illusor, or a part of the Falls. Would I speak with you in private when this meeting is over, if you have the time?" His request almost sounded like a plea...

" . "
Oh, there is a light
and it never goes out.
Lotherarius
image credits

@Isopia [In response, Lotherarius wishes for thievery to be removed from sleuth duties and herd policy.

Lotherarius is requesting a one-to-one thread to discuss more about his rank and what he has to do if that's okay? :D]

Please tag me