the Rift

[OPEN] snow covered home [Welcoming!]

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra
so i listen to the    wind for an answer
Lyanna can’t help but feel awful for the young girl. They certainly didn’t mean any harm to her, yet she shook and skittered away like monsters had come to find her. What did Lyanna look like to a child so young? The black mare was not particularly tall. Not short, but not tall. Yael and Erthe were both shorter that she. The golden mare was crying, Lyanna was all soft edges and easy smiles. Erthe? Well Erthe might be a little fearsome, with the horns that curled from her head, but the girl had her own set of horns as well. And it’s not as if Erthe was anything but kind either.

But still, she can imagine what it might feel like to be in the girl’s shoes, surrounded by strangers that are larger and stronger and faster. There’s a danger in that, even if there’s no danger from the few that happen to be gathered here. The girl is quick to reject their offer a rest place, and Lyanna simply nods, resisting the urge to close the distance between them and wrap the girl in a hug. That likey wouldn’t help the situation. Instead, she steps back slightly, leaving more space between them in what she hopes is a gesture of reassurance.

The girl offers her name, and is gone soon after. Lyanna turns her attention back to Yael and Erthe, stifling a sigh. “Shall we?” she asks of her companions. They all have wings, but given the state Yael is currently in, she suspects it might be best to walk, and best to avoid the even colder skies above them. Lyanna’s coat this year is far longer than it has ever been. Morham had gotten cool, but never cold like this, and her first year here had been a bitter thing. Though she’d adjusting, and she finds she’s not quite a cold this Frostfall as she was last.

But Yael’s coat is thin, like she’s never seen winter at all. “Romina is right. Both the Basin and the Edge do get rather cold. You get used to it, eventually. Though unless you are Erthe,” she says, casting a playful grin and glance to her friend, “it is always kind of cold. There is a herd in the south, and they rather like pegasi from what I gather since they live on an island.” She says as they walk, trying to keep up a bit of talk and answer any questions as they go.

Eventually, the Iron Gate that leads into the Edge comes into view. It still looks strange there, without the spikes that are supposed to line the border. For now, it is just a lone gate. Still though, Lyanna figures it the most appropriate place to bring Yael. The trees loom before them, though with the blanket of snow on the ground and still much on the trees, they blend somewhat seamlessly into the ground.

“Welcome to the Edge,” she says with a grin, leading them into the forest and slowly through the trees, heading to the cliff that gives their home it’s name. “If you are interested, there’s a variety of jobs in the herd that you could do. Or you can simply rest your head here as well.” 

lyanna

art by yewrezz

@Yael, @Erthe

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Toulouse Posts: 146
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 8.0 | def: 11.0 | dam: 4.0
Gelding :: Equine :: 17hh :: Six HP: 74 | Buff: ENDURE
Boomslang :: Green Ratsnake :: Paralyze Neverrmind

As Vampires go, Toulouse was far from classic.
Lounging in what was left of what he might call a sun, the lion-like predator stretched his limbs over the cold slab of rock, wishing to absorb any warmth from the surroundings.
It was weather like this that reminded him of T'det and Myrhh - those snowy grass planes where pyramids towered and clay dominated rather than grass.
This weather did not fight fair, no.

It was time to give up on this folly, though. There was no sun in orange moon, and he was more likely to get a tan from just that (the orange. bloody. moon.).
The previously water deprived stag could not deny how the cold might benefit his health, however - he came to this land a skinny, sun-blistered, ragged heap only a handful of months ago and he was still on the mend and With such a supreme diet of plasma and water, his stature had become whole again, though still, his mounds of hair were unruly as ever.
Sure the mares would glare in jealousy at his luscious, unique texture and a sheer amount of hair but should they own it for a day they would surely forfeit it.
Oh, but beauty is pain is it not? Pure agony if you asked the the parseltongue.

Who was that dancing among the tree skeletons? Why Lyanna, The very mare who had rescued his frail body from the threshold all those months ago.
He would quit this scene of desperate boredom immediately and accompany the gentle-mare on her stroll.
Hoisting himself up upon his shimmering, akhal haunches the snakish gelding slithered between the skeletons and slipped by the tinged faes wing, only to learn she was in fact accompanied by another - perhaps a newcomer from the threshold.

"Lyanna" The gilded gelding uttered, hardly more than a sensual whisper to a woman he easily called a friend "Darling, how are you? who is this truly captivating friend of yours?"

lunarblues

Welcome to Helovia, I am Neve <3
@Yael
I AM THE KEY TO THE LOCK IN YOUR HOUSE—
DO NOT CRY OUT OR HIT THE ALARM
YOU KNOW WE'RE FRIEND TIL WE DIE—

EITHER WAY YOU TURN, I'LL BE THERE
OPEN UP YOUR SKULL, I'LL BE THERE
CLIMBING UP THE WALLS

SO LOCK THE KIDS UP SAFE TONIGHT
CLOSE THE EYES IN THE CUPBOARD

Yael Posts: 186
World's Edge Seer atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 :: 39 - appears 8 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zani :: Serval :: None Astor
like a jar, you housed infinite tenderness
and infinite tenderness shattered you
Romina’s flightiness makes Yael sad; if there were anything to help bring her spirits up, it might have been a child. The girl seemed… afraid of her - of the three women - and that, too, is bizarre to the golden stranger. When had she ever been scary? To B’kanna’s newcomers, the golden pegasus was perhaps a little unusual, but rarely did she ever send anyone running for cover while in her horse form (and her days of dragon-shifting are well over).

White kind of world has she come upon? Where three small-ish, and seemingly kind mares are cause for worry? Yael watches the girl skitter away and then turns to her guides, with the first look of worry in her gaze. “Vhy ees she so scared? Vhat does she xaf to fear xere?” It is a question she is not sure she wants answered, though some part of her knows it must be, if she is to be properly prepared.  

As they begin their trek to the World’s Edge (a curious name, she thinks, and wonders what could possibly be at the end of the World that she has not seen before. Thus far, she has a mixed impression of their culture: though not amazed by their fantastic appearances, she is intrigued by the number of adornments they carry about themselves. There are clearly some who are kind and good - healers, even - and others who look kindly upon strangers. And yet there must be something that gives children cause to worry, a reason for mothers to warn them about strangers. And while a Lady (Queen?)’s daughter is a potential valuable asset to an enemy, she thinks there also might be some… less kind beings out there. As there always are.

For the most part, Yael is silent, following the pair with her head down and wings still pressed tightly to her sides. She nods to signal that she heard the Doctor’s information regarding a herd to the south, and stores it away for later. There are already too many thoughts in her head to worry about whether or not she’s found the right herd - because that means she’s considering staying. Staying means giving up. Yael can’t give up right now.

Trailing behind the pale unicorn and the black and white pegasus, Yael takes little note of her surroundings; to be honest, the trees all look the same, and the field they cross means nothing when it’s all dead and brown. Brown turns to white as they head northwest, but even the beauty and calm of the first edge of winter cannot rouse the morose newcomer. At least the snow is insulating, Yael thinks, and the trees block some of the wind. They pass through a great, black, iron gate then continue on, making her wonder just how far they must go. Not that far, apparently, before they are met by a crooning stallion, who greets Lyanna familiarly. He shimmers like she does, and the gilded mare smiles slightly at the fellow Akhal - who would not, with his greeting?

”Shalom,” she says simply. Softly. “I ahm Yael.” Her name is all she has left. It must be enough.

lines | coloring | coding

Thank you! Happy to be here ^_^
@Lyanna @Toulouse

Please only tag in starter posts, or if the thread is getting dusty
Force and magic allowed, no death please

Kyra
It is not long before another joins them, and she smiles warmly as the familiar stallion comes into view. It’s been some time since she’s seen Toulouse. Really, she hasn’t seen him since she brought him back here, all skin and bones and barely alive at the time. She’s seen him in passing now and again, but now she can see just how well he is doing. He looked like he’d put on weight (in a good way, of course), and she could see muscle rippling beneath his skin instead of just ribs. His golden coat was actually gold now, rather than blistered and burned and sun bleached. That hair of his might still be a bit unruly, but he looked great.

“Toulouse,” she says warmly, “you look well.” She’s about to introduce Yael to him, but the golden mare does so with a warm smile, and Lyanna’s glad to see it. She cannot really imagine the shock Yael must be going through right now, particularly when she does not know the mare’s story. She can only speculate on the details. The only obvious thing is that Yael had lost her home, and did not seem to know why or maybe even how.

At least when Lyanna lost her home, she had known all along what had been happening. She’d fled to save her own life. There was no going back, no other option but to go forward.

They continue through the forest, the trees thinning as they begin to come to the clearing.   “I’ve been good, though busy. So much happening in Helovia it seems. How have you been Toulouse?” she asks the stallion, wondering if he’s come across any good gossip or stories, perhaps some that would interest Yael as well and help her learn more about this place.

She keeps walking as they talk, the trees giving way to the clearing. The glass dragon sits not far off in one of the meeting places for the kingdom, but Lyanna keeps them moving until the cliff comes into view. The winds are brutal here, and she figures they don’t need to stay long, but she did want to show Yael. “This is one border of our herd, and where the name World’s Edge comes from. In the warmer months, it’s terribly fun to go cliff diving.”

lyanna

art by yewrezz

@Toulouse

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Toulouse Posts: 146
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 8.0 | def: 11.0 | dam: 4.0
Gelding :: Equine :: 17hh :: Six HP: 74 | Buff: ENDURE
Boomslang :: Green Ratsnake :: Paralyze Neverrmind

Slinking besides the folded beings of both coloured women, toulouse gave a glinting grin towards Lyanna. He was well, deffinately much better than when they had met.
"Yes, thanks be to your wonderful skills".
With that, the lion man took a glance over his own coat, inspecting the sites where there had been countless blisters, blurns, slices and scars. The remnants of his ordeal remained trapped under his winter coat, but would shed when birdsong came; he was in for a wonderful summer with his best coat yet.

It was then that the other golden one spoke, the woman whos coat presented a much more yellow hue. Shalom she had spoken with a heavy accent, and her name was Yael. "Shalom" Toulouse nodded back to the woman. It was a language he himself was somewhat familiar with, it being spoken in ancient times in the land he had been raised in. The language of the T'det, the people he once called his brethren, was primarily hebrew and arabic after all with some egyptian and afrikaans influence and it was a common greeting among T'detans also. Was this woman like him? A true T'detan perhaps? There was no harm in asking.
"Have you ever been to T'det or Myrhh, Yael?"

Lyanna was next to speak to him however and he was caught slightly off guard by her question. How had he been?
"Well enough. I have travelled far which is not ideal for me whilst recovering, though I am trying to become active in the herd. I joined the sleuth ranks you see, which requires a lot of leg work. I have been to the throat and have much to report."

lunarblues

@Lyanna
I AM THE KEY TO THE LOCK IN YOUR HOUSE—
DO NOT CRY OUT OR HIT THE ALARM
YOU KNOW WE'RE FRIEND TIL WE DIE—

EITHER WAY YOU TURN, I'LL BE THERE
OPEN UP YOUR SKULL, I'LL BE THERE
CLIMBING UP THE WALLS

SO LOCK THE KIDS UP SAFE TONIGHT
CLOSE THE EYES IN THE CUPBOARD

Yael Posts: 186
World's Edge Seer atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 :: 39 - appears 8 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zani :: Serval :: None Astor
like a jar, you housed infinite tenderness
and infinite tenderness shattered you

Toulouse. More foreign to her tongue than Lyanna, but it has a pleasantly 'round' sound, and seems to fit the jolly (and suave) stallion - ah, no - gelding? That in itself is alien to Yael, as procreation and continuing the religion and family line was quite important in her tribe. It makes no matter to her: just another peculiar fact of this Xeloveea. It makes no difference to her what species or gender friends are; her love knows no boundaries.

But then he answers her perfectly, and Yael starts, jerking her head around to look at him with wide eyes. No one has ever been able to answer her in her native tongue, nevermind knowing the correct response to her greeting. But this one knows both, and it brings around a whole other mess of mixed feelings: guilt dominates them all, as the culture of shame and honor that she grew up in rears its ugly head again. There is only one thing Yael can do, and she rattles off a question in her language, “Atah medaber ‘ivrit?” The words roll off her tongue with dull edges, rusted and clumsy from years of disuse. And yet every sound fills her mouth with sweet milk and honey, an unbridled moment of hope threatening to burst out in hope.

Of course, her hope is short-lived and dashed quickly to the frozen ground beneath them. Poor woman can’t catch a break. “Ah… loh. I mean, no.” With a shake of her head, Yael indicates that she’s never heard of T’det, though that should not come to a surprise to Toulouse, if it is an ancient name. She is not quite that old. “I ahm from Yisrael. My tribe leeved een Tzion, een ze Nort. Perxaps you xaf xeard of eet?” A brief pause. She was sheltered as a child. Perhaps this stranger would know more than she. “I ahm afraid I xaf not been very many places, really. Ahm I even eez ze same vorld right now? I do not know.” Her shoulders slump again, and she falls into silence as they continue walking.

A glass dragon brings an extra pain to her heart, but she hopes whatever outward twinge she may inadvertently let loose is missed while the other two converse. The trio comes to the edge of a cliff, and Yael steps close enough to just peer over the lip. She musters another smile, if only to put on a brave face. Ever polite, the golden mare begins to find a way to excuse herself. “You haf a lovely xome, t’ank you very much for takeeng me een. Eef you don’t mind… I should very much like to sleep and… find my bearings, yes? Ees eet alright to seek you bote out in a few days? I do not vant to be a burden vhile I am xere.”

The walk, the time it took them to get to the edge of the cliff has clearly calmed her hysterics enough for logic and exhaustion to set in. Even though she is only keeping herself together with frantic grasps at the threads and everything seems to be unraveling at a rapid pace, decorum and grace still win. The former Queen in her simply will not die.    

lines | coloring | coding

@Lyanna @Toulouse
Sorry for the delay! D:

Atah medaber ‘ivrit = do you speak hebrew?

Please only tag in starter posts, or if the thread is getting dusty
Force and magic allowed, no death please

Kyra
She wishes there were other ways for her to help. But of course, she knows there’s nothing she can do. Beqanna is a foreign name to her, and so is the place she says she comes from originally. The only reason Lyanna even grasps the names is from her childhood of training – names are everything. But the word “Yisreal” is nearly in one ear and out the next because it sounds so alien to her. Thankfully, she knows better than to let her brain just skip words that have no meaning to it, and she repeats the name a few times before tucking it away. Just in case someone every mentions either of these places.

In the end though, she suspects only time will help here. Either Yael will be found by her missing family or friends or whoever she has inadvertently left behind. Or time will begin to mend the tears in her heart. Never completely, but enough to move on. She would know, after all. There was no hope of reunion for Lyanna and her family. Maybe with Adelene, should the girl ever return. But the rest were dead, and so was she should she return to Morham. And so, it is only her and time and whatever life she can build here.

It is turning into a surprisingly good one.

She lets them talk, then when conversation turns to what Toulouse has been up to, she frowns just slightly. “No, that is probably not the best plan while you are still recovering. Should I put you on bed rest?” She frown softens at this, turning into a tiny, playful little smile mixed with a fake frown. “I admit, I’ve never been to the Throat, though I would be curious to see it.” Honestly, she wasn’t sure she’d even met someone from the Throat. They must be somewhere, but she never seemed to stumble across them.

Yael speaks up again, and Lyanna nods. “Of course. I’m not too hard to find, and you are certainly not a burden. If you need anything, please don’t hesitate to ask.” She nods once more to Yael, turning her eyes to Toulouse to see if he’d be joining her a stroll through the woods or something. Anything, really, that would give Yael the solitude she wanted. And then she takes her leave.

lyanna

art by yewrezz

We can end there and have them meet up again in a bit :)

@Toulouse
Also, if Toulouse feels like chatting with Lyanna more happy to have another thread with him! We can just continue like they wandered away or something if you want, but I won't hog your posting time if you are busy.

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki