the Rift

Tips for Writing Male Characters

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
This thread is a really interesting one for me, because most of the posts describe Vol to a T xD He's the stereotypical man with the emotional range of a boulder, but to be honest I've always seen that as a flaw of mine as a writer. I suck at writing emotions, so I tend to play characters who are less emotional and more action-orientated. That's probably why I play males so much better than females, and any females I do play tend to be very masculine (hello Nyx and Oizys).

So reading this is all quite interesting, because it's making me wonder whether I'm actually doing the right thing by playing Vol as being a bit thick and naiive when it comes to other people's emotions. I won't lie, sometimes I write him with other characters and I feel so horrifically inferior with his feels compared to theirs. I feel like the person I'm writing with will be looking at my posts and going 'wtf, I bust my ass to be emotional in my post and I get THIS in response???' But I've tried to write it into his personality that he's just not very good when it comes to feeling things.

So yeah, I'd definitely say to cut down on emotions in order to write male charries. The downside of this is that it can count against you in spars - in fights, Vol defaults to angry mode, which doesn't make for much interesting reading. That's definitely a downside of a relatively numb-emotioned male charrie, although it could also be a flaw in my writing that I can't put across the anger in an emotional enough way.

I'm probably not the best person to give advice to you, Brit, because all my males tend to have hyper sexuality. HOWEVER, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, and doesn't necessarily mean they objectify mares! Look at Gaucho, for example. He had a lot of ladies, but I always got the impression he respected mares and didn't objectify them. My advice would be to default away from monogamy and accept that polygamy usually goes hand in hand with male characters, and that you can play it tastefully without having the charrie be a chauvinistic asshole. Like Blu said, it's all about the spreading of the seed. I personally cringe at mono males, but that's just me xD

If you definitely don't want the sexuality thing, though...maybe they're a diehard warrior who's sworn off women for the sake of duty? Or they could see mares more like sisters, and vow to protect them?

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Messages In This Thread
Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Brit - 11-12-2016, 02:21 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Roskuld - 11-12-2016, 02:31 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Odd - 11-12-2016, 02:37 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Mauja - 11-12-2016, 03:02 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Roskuld - 11-12-2016, 03:07 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Blu - 11-12-2016, 03:11 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Brit - 11-12-2016, 04:35 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Volterra - 11-12-2016, 05:23 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Odd - 11-12-2016, 05:44 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Merlin - 11-12-2016, 06:43 PM