the Rift

Tips for Writing Male Characters

Odd the doer of things Posts: 115
Administrator atk: 23 | def: 42 | dam: 108
Mare :: Other :: 5"2 :: 27 HP: 108 | Buff: badass
Odd
Eh, I disagree with the sparring thing. Gaucho always did well in terms of emotion throughout a fight. In those situations, you're more writing their motivations and reactions to things, rather than a lengthy internal monologue about feelings. Even when your character is unfeeling, it's still your job as a writer to give that context.

BUT SINCE GAUCHO WAS MENTIONED.

For a long time he was almost monogamous - Sohalia and Ampere mostly happened at separate times, and then his flings with Aith/Neph/Nyx were caused by his brain melting :P But yes, he actually was fairly respectful of women, and his sexism I wrote was just an effect of the way he was raised - and sometimes he did have to reframe how he viewed the world.

But for Gaucho, I'd say his motivations were mostly around protection and bettering himself. When I wrote him checking out the ladies, he moreso litereally appreciated their bodies, rather than just being horny all the time. But he also did have emotional outlets that I played up a lot through his companions. And having relationships can help round out a character too - I wrote some insanely (I think?) Gaucho posts with Soh and Ampere.

Tl;dr : Masculine male characters can be emotionally complex, there's just usually a time and a place. Like with Cera, I feel like he has a huge emotional reaction to EVERYTHING, or at least you go into great depth to describe those things in most of your posts. For our generalized masculine male, usually you can leave those things unless it actually IS important and relevant to what's going on.

Messages In This Thread
Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Brit - 11-12-2016, 02:21 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Roskuld - 11-12-2016, 02:31 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Odd - 11-12-2016, 02:37 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Mauja - 11-12-2016, 03:02 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Roskuld - 11-12-2016, 03:07 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Blu - 11-12-2016, 03:11 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Brit - 11-12-2016, 04:35 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Odd - 11-12-2016, 05:44 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Merlin - 11-12-2016, 06:43 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Astarot - 12-12-2016, 04:53 PM
RE: Tips for Writing Male Characters - by Brit - 12-12-2016, 08:39 PM