the Rift

on stranger tides

Bartholomeo Posts: 46
World's Edge Protector atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7.0
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16'2hh :: 7 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Snow

It's rather fitting that a storm should accompany the pirate into Helovia.

The forest shakes with the force of the winter tempest, its trees battered by howling winds and its grasses pinned flat by crashing rain. It's so cold that the hammering droplets are a mixture of hail and rain, a blizzard serenaded by the roars of thunder and flashes of forked lightning. The frigid drops clatter like icy bullets into the face of anybody unfortuate enough to remain outside during the cruel weather, and the vast majority of animals have seized the opportunity to dive into their burrows or snuggle in their dens.

Bartholomeo does not hide. He stands with the wind in his face and his eyes narrowed to slits against the blizzard, his proud antlered head held high and his mane twisting around his muscular neck like ship's rope. His nostrils flare as he sniffs the air, hunting for the telltale salt of the sea. He finds nothing, but that doesn't mean he won't.

His journey has been long. After having his worldy goods stolen by the vagabonds who attacked him, the stag pursued their scent for days to try and reclaim his multitude of taken items. Alas, he was met with little success. The thieves scattered to the four winds, each taking one or more of his belongings with them. It was impossible for Bartholomeo to pursue them all, although he damn well tried. He feels naked without his possessions as he marches through these unfamiliar trees, unused to the lack of weight on his sides from his swords and the absence of the belt that they used to swing from. The bastards even took the decorative rope that he used to keep twined around his hindlegs, which irks him just as much as the lack of his weapons. His swords were fine blades, coveted by almost anyone who met them, so the stallion is hardly surprised that the thieves chose to take them - but his rope? The sentimental value it carried made it precious only to him, and it sticks in his craw that the rogues would even see fit to snatch it as well as everything else.

The thing he misses most, though, is the sash that he kept bound tightly around the girth of his barrel, a green blast of colour against the earthy tones of his skin. It makes his throat constrict and his stomach twist into knots as he thinks of Carlisle's precious sash, and the fact he'd been unable to keep it safe. Just like his precious sister herself, the one item that reminds him of her has been snatched from him, and he's sworn a thousand painful deaths on the man who took it. He will find it, even if it's the last thing he does.

He does not know what brings him into Helovia. It is simply a happy accident born of his attempts to follow the thieves, but as he stalks through unfamiliar trees in the midst of a thunderous tempest in the skies, he feels something different about the place. It's like he knows that he's entering somewhere of great importance, and it makes him oblivious to even the foul weather. Another quick stiff of the air proves fruitless, because the vagabonds could be anywhere. At least he managed to keep one of his weapons - a small, beautifully carved steel knife with a bone hilt, far less effective than his swords but better than nothing. Without his belt to hold it, he's forced to stash it in his mane and hope gravity works in his favour, which is less than ideal. The stallion has never felt more vulnerable. "Bloody thieving bastards," he growls to himself.

Finally, he pauses beneath the shade of a massive oak tree. The rain continues to drive into his face and his coat is sodden with it, but Bartholomeo is no stranger to being sopping wet with the elements. He's too hardy a man to be bothered by a bit of a storm, quite the contrary - he revels in it. So the world finds him stood beneath a tree, deciding to rest his stocky limbs before he continues his quest deeper into the forest to try and find those sword-stealing shitbags and enact a revenge that he's determined to make very satisfying. 

B A R T H O L O M E O
image credits

Open to anyone! @Tilney @Aelfwine @Byron maybe? :D

Byron Posts: 14
Outcast
Colt :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: Three Seasons [Frostfall]
Nova
[Image: byron___bronzehalo_by_arahvir_dan956x_co...an96l3.png]

He'd never been in a storm like this! Though he knew by the youth in his bones, that didn't mean much, not really. He hadn't experienced much of anything if he was honest, other than endless red sand dunes and the beaches which lined his island home. The sound of thunder rolled through his bones and he felt alive, it filled him with glee and delight each time the sky overhead illuminated in forked veins over his head. Each crack he anticipated with a jump into the air, head thrown back and little legs kicked out as though he was the cause of all the noise — his laughter drowned out and lost in nature's song.

He didn't quite know why he liked the rain or the thunder, but the moment the clouds had rolled in and darkened, where his brother nestled close to their mother's wing — he rushed out from their cover and straight out into the thick of it. His mother had brought them to the threshold because she had decided that it was better to have them close, or so she had said when asked, not sat at the beach while they waited for their mother to return to them in the care of another mare, plus it let them explore — the silver lad had gotten rather bored by being assaulted by red sand every day. So he was going to make the most of it, he'd deal with the sore ear and the attempted grounding, it wasn't like he had anywhere to go once they returned to the island.

Byron would be back of course, eventually, maybe when the rain had stopped or he got tired of being wet. Unlikely, but he'd be back before they moved off, he was awfully good at tracking down his ma and his twin. Cloven hooves splashed through puddles as he jumped and cantered along, the little buck couldn't have been more at home, white strands of his baby mane stuck to his neck and over his face and eyes focused on everything and everything which came his way.

The tree marked boy hadn't really expected to run into anyone, he'd expect most of these new comers to have hunkered down in one of the root made caves which lurked beneath the great oak trees every now and then — or have hurried out of the forest by now. Thunder cracked and out he bounded from a large shrub, forelimbs stretched outward and odd coloured eyes bright as he hit the ground again and bounced to a stop. He'd been ready to take flight again until he spotted someone hidden under a nearby oak tree, wet ears pressed forward as his small nostrils flared.

A newcomer!

"Hey there!" He chirped toward the larger stag as he stepped forward without a care toward the fact the bigger stallion could be a thread. Green and gold's looked over the tattoos and scars which nicked his hide. So he was a fighter, like ma! though he seemed a lot more cooler than his ma was, and she had been everything he'd held when it came to being a warrior or someone who fought for a living. "Are you lost?" He asked, as though he'd suddenly remembered why horses came through the threshold. Another flash of lightning illuminated the chimeric man and he saw the familiar design which splashed up his leg and on the side of his barrel. Only his was on his neck, not on his body.

"You have a tree marking like me and my brother, see?" His right side turned toward the man with a grin. "My name is Byron, what's yours?"

bronzehalo.deviantart.com | @Bartholomeo

♥︎
[Image: byron_by_ehrendi_daod2ik_by_arahvir-daoxhe4.png]

please only tag Byron in opening posts!

Aelfwine Posts: 101
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Vanya :: Common Cerndyr :: Lamplight Skylark

Aelfwine

It was already extremely awkward to have a chat about sex with her closest brother. And it was that awkwardness that directed her toward the Threshold. At least, if anything was truly awkward in Helovia, it was this place. Nothing like stepping into a forest and getting bombarded by strangers with “how are you, let me show you my place.” It was like a bad pick-up line. One she had nearly fallen for if she hadn’t lost Arah on the way. She thought it was a fitting place to go with the strange sensation that burned in her veins at the ridiculousness of her conversations with Tilney.

There was a storm rolling in, but it didn’t bother the dappled doe much. She was used to weathering through storms. All she did was gently press her greyed muzzle against her compass before lifting her head high in the sky, determination brewing through the remnants of feeling uncomfortable for days. She lived in a herd now – she had a job to do, and she intended on keeping that duty. Regardless of where Tilney liked to put his thing. She wasn’t his baby sitter, and she realized slowly that she needed to act better. She wasn’t as innocent as he thought she was – likewise he wasn’t as innocent as she thought he was.

Diligently, she tiptoed through the woods, searching for something. Some form of life among the swift moving current of darkness that seemed to conquer the skies. Frostfall had been painful so far, so cold and full of storms already even though it felt like it just started. As she stepped over fallen branches gently covered in the ice that rained down from above – pelting her coat like tiny daggers, was when she spotted what appeared to be a small creature darting a certain way. It looked like a child to her, but it might have also been a small dear. Aelfwine huffed in annoyance, pausing in step before realizing the dangers of this land in this weather. She needed to make sure everything was okay, even if she didn’t know what it was.

And so she followed, cloven hooves gripping the icy earth with ease. She hadn’t heard anything the boy had said, but she did notice the fact it was a colt when she peered through the trees. Emerald eyes squinting against the rain and wind. Who was he facing? She couldn’t quite tell, so she stepped a few more paces to the left. Her eyes finally landed on him and she couldn’t believe her eyes. Stepping back she shook her head for a few moments, waiting patiently to open them up to find Barty as a ghost, vanished again into the storm.

But he was still there when she opened her eyes. She couldn’t miss that beautiful face anywhere. He was missing a few of the trinkets she remembered him having – but she imagined that it was what happened when you nearly died. (Of course she had no idea what happened, but Aelfwine imagined that Bartholomeo died trying to protect his family from the pirate band invasion. Evidently she had been wrong. At first she blamed herself for not checking on him – but it was soon filled with rage. He should have come to find her if he was okay. Of course Barty had lost more than she had that day – but in her mind it was wrong of the man to not look for her as well.

Her ears pinned to her neck as she lowered her head slightly, stepping through the cover of trees. Her hooves striking into the ground as she forgot about the boy that had arrived. “You bastard!” She began, emerald eyes boring holes into his pelt as she picked up her pace. She reached a foot in front of him, should he allow it, before tossing her head up. “Bartholomeo, where were you?! I thought you were dead.” She shrieked at him, completely hysterical. She blamed the sleeting rain for the tears that stung her eyes. “Why didn’t you come back?” She asked in a more hushed, hurt tone. Her head shying away from his space as she subconsciously touched her compass. How did her other long lost brother just disappear without searching for her? Was she that forgetful of a sibling that nobody even tried?

Roses hang like paintings of you
Oh, How beautiful you are

Pattern Credits || Pattern Credits || Image Credits

@Bartholomeo @Byron

Snow

There's a blurred figure in the distance, barely visible through the pounding rain. The pirate narrows his earthy green eyes to try and focus on the stranger, but it isn't until the colt is almost on top of him that he can finally make him out.

His heart lurches, a savage twisting of his emotions. The kid looks like Jack, his precious dead son; for a moment Bartholomeo thinks it is him, his sorrow-cloaked mind desperate to seek any comfort in the notion that maybe the boy isn't gone. Impossible, he knows; he'd cradled the little body, cried into the livid crimson smile that used to be his son's neck, prayed to all the Gods he's never believed in to make his boy whole again. A grieving parent will go to any lengths to try and believe that their child isn't dead. It's been three years, but not a day goes by when Bartholomeo doesn't think that he sees Jack's face playfully peering from the hollow of a tree, or hear his boyish laugh in the billowing of the wind.

No, this little antlered fellow cannot be Jack, but the resemblance is quite uncanny. Bartholomeo's beloved boy had those same pale antlers, that earthy-coloured coat, the flaxen mane and tail. One thing he didn't have, though - and the little ray of hope in the stag's chest finally dies, even though the rest of him had accepted seconds ago that this couldn't be his son - was the distinctive tree marking that denoted one of their family. He remembers how disappointed he'd been when his only son was born without the tree, how he'd laughed with Gráinne and good-naturedly blamed her for their boy's missing marking. What he'd give to have his Jack running alongside him once again, tree marking or no.

The stag realises that he's been absently staring at the boy for a few seconds now, and he quickly shakes himself out of his stupour with a flick of his rain-soaked head. "Hey there, little fella," comes the pirate's booming Welsh tones, hearty and good-natured despite the sudden stab of misery that has invaded his soul. This is someone else's precious son, someone else's heir, and the stallion can only pray that this one lives the long and fruitful life that Jack was never allowed to.

Are you lost? Through the storm, Bartholomeo gives another cheerful chortle. "Oh no, I never get lost! I just, um, don't know where I am." He offers the lad a wink. Damn, but he does look like Jack....and he doesn't know of any other families who produce that tree marking. Could he have stumbled upon a nest of his siblings? The colt highlights his tree marking and remarks on the one that stains Bartholomeo's neck, but that revelation fades into nothingness as the boy gives his name. Byron. A nostalgic smile spreads across the pirate's handsome face. "Byron, eh? That's a good strong name. You know, when I was a lad, my nickname was Byron. Your mother and father have excellent taste." A wave of memories roll over him, and a warm grin brightens his features. "Who're your parents, Byron?" Could it possibly be that he's come to this place to find his missing items, but instead found his family? "I'm Bartholomeo."

You bastard! The serenity around the man and boy suddenly explodes as the very familiar voice penetrates his ears. The pirate turns, hardly able to believe what he's hearing, to see Aelfwine. His heart skips a beat. One shouldn't have favourites amongst their siblings, but he'd been particularly close to Aelfwine. She'd lived with him for so long, had known his wife and son, and he fancies that he taught her quite a lot during the time that they ran together. His crew adored her as well, although he doesn't know how much of that was down to her innate beauty - pirates love an attractive wench.

She'd also been there on the day his life was torn apart. He'd lost her in the chaos, and then afterwards....Afterwards, he just existed. Finding her had been the last thing on his mind, as shameful as that sounds.

"Aelfwine," he greets, injecting cheer into his hearty voice. They can't do this here, not in front of the kid, and ideally not in a howling storm either. "Aelf, I can explain," he pleads, edging closer to her to try and touch his nose to her shoulder in reassurance. "Just...not here. Please." With his gaze, he tries to indicate Byron to her, silently saying he doesn't need to hear this. He prays she listens; she must be furious and has every right to be, but this is not the ideal place to settle their differences.

The pirate takes a step back, jerking his sodden forelock from his eyes. "So," he says conversationally. "What's this place called? And are more of our family here?" He addresses the final question to his sister.

B A R T H O L O M E O
image credits

@Byron @Aelfwine

Outcast
Nova

Oh no, I never get lost! I just, um, don't know where I am.

Byron's small brow raised as his lips pursed together at the pirate's response, well that didn't make sense and he was pretty sure he knew the larger stag knew that. The comical look which was splashed across his face like the speckled spots and lines of white who also made their home there, was purely an opportunity to pull a face and get away with it. "So you are lost?" He responded with a grin, an ear flopped outward before it flicked forward again. The stranger's complemented his name and his small chest swelled with pride, he rather liked his name and hearing that that it was a good and strong name only furthered the small buck's endless well of enthusiastic delight. "Really? You were called Byron too? My ma would of probably called me a weird name, so I guess my dad is to thank for my name." He stopped himself with a snigger, he'd end up on a long tangent on how his elder sisters and fellow herd members often had unusual names.

"My ma is called Neph, and my dad is called Tilney." Part of him found it better to not mention that he'd never seen his dad, he'd only been told what his mother had know when he'd gotten too curious one day at the beach. He knew that he looked like him, with his tree marking and his one green eye, and of course the cream tresses that sprouted from his crest. He'd carried a lantern in his antlers for some reason that their mother couldn't explain. Hopefully one day, he and Jude would be able to meet him. Finally, the stranger gave him a name and his odd eyes lit up once again, "that's a pretty cool name."

An antlered doe came out of nowhere and he jumped at the sudden intrusion, his small 'ah!!' swallowed by the darkened clouds overhead. While she began to lay into the poor chimeric man, the colt instead had chosen to focus on the word she'd called him, petite brows knitted together and head tilted slightly to the side. "What's a bastard?" He questioned loudly, the innocence of his youth shining through like speckled sunlight on a cloudy day. Hopefully he'd been loud enough to break up the argument, a habit he'd picked up in order to save his twin from getting upset when voices started to get loud.

"You're in Helovia." Now that was something he did know. "There's a bunch of places to see here! Or at least that's what I know, I don't get to go to the mainland very often. I live on an island called the Dragon's Throat." He beamed brightly, taking a tentative couple of steps forward to bring him closer to Bartholomeo and this 'Aelf.'  

♥︎

Aelfwine Posts: 101
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Vanya :: Common Cerndyr :: Lamplight Skylark

Aelfwine

He turned to face her and it was like he saw a ghost. But she had raced up to him, to see his beautiful green eyes as they bore back into her own. Except, where his carried a hint of confusion and bewilderment, hers were covered by a small film of tears. She looked at him now, pausing in her rampage to stare at him. He had more scars than previously, and he looked a bit worse for wear as she surveyed him. He looked nothing like the man he was when she saw him last – when the enemy band dove in and he had run off to see where his family was. Aelfwine, herself, had done her best to escape yet still stayed around in the hopes that Bartholomeo and his family would return to see her. She would take them somewhere safe, but when he didn’t show she only assumed the same fate as his family.

Aelfwine.” He uttered, the sound of his voice saying her name again was soothing in an enraging kind of way. “I can explain, just not here. Please.” She wanted him to tell her at this exact moment just where he went. She wanted him to tell her what had been so important that he didn’t even try to find her. What would have happened if the enemy band took her for their own? Would he even wonder, or care at that point? He pointed his head toward the colt she had initially been following, and as he took a step back, she did the same. “What’s a bastard?” Her ears flattened against her skull with a soft damn it uttered in her mind. “It’s… Nothing.” She began, calming herself as she turned away from the colt to lower her head and rub her tears away on her leg as inconspicuously as she could.

You’re in Helovia.” The boy began, and she finally turned to look at him. Her eyes immediately spotted the tree marking and her stomach sank. She shook her head slightly, hearing the boy speak of Dragon’s Throat, and it was as if her stomach began to roll again. She nodded along with him, trying to force a smile on her face as her emerald gaze looked for the boy’s. “Is your father Tilney?” She questioned, seeing as she completely missed the introductions beforehand. “If so, then Bartholomeo here is your uncle. And I am your aunt!” She added in as happily as she could despite the horrific painful feeling in her stomach.

Her head turned to Barty then, her frown returning to her lips. “Tilney is here, he lives in the Edge where I live. Arah is here as well – though Tilney has had a few children at this point now as you can see.” She quietly murmured to him, trying to point with her head to the boy that stood among them. “I followed Tuppence here, she has … had Carlisle’s remains. We planned to bury them in the old ways of our home, but she lost them. I haven’t been able to find her yet. It was by circumstance that I managed to find Tilney at all.” She admitted with another frown. Then, her head turned to Byron as she forced a smile again. “What are you doing all the way out here? Does your mother know where you went? You’re quite a long ways from home, my dear.” She added in.

Roses hang like paintings of you
Oh, How beautiful you are

Pattern Credits || Pattern Credits || Image Credits

@Bartholomeo @Byron <3

Snow

My ma is called Neph, and my dad is called Tilney. The pirate's chest gives an odd lurch, and a warm smile slowly spreads across his battlescarred face. "Well hey, Byron, here's a coincidence for you," he says, his earthy green eyes focused on the youngster. "Tilney is my brother, which makes me your awesome Uncle Bart." Those haunting eyes of his close together in a rogueish wink. It's odd for him to know that other members of his family have children too. He'd thought he was the only parent, as oblivious and selfish as that sounds. Now irony has bitten him on the backside by taking his child away from him and blessing his siblings with offspring of their own.

He doesn't hold it against them. Every living creature deserves to have a child, to know the unbreakable bond that exists between a parent and their offspring, and he's deeply happy for Tilney.

The little nub of guilt locked away in the darkest reaches of his psyche suddenly twinges; he only hopes his brother is a better father than he was.

His attention shifts back to Aelfwine. Thankfully she doesn't press him further, and his gaze darts back to Byron as the colt asks what a bastard is. The pirate almost sputters - damn, that kid doesn't miss a trick. "I'll tell you when you're older, little fella. Also, please don't repeat that word back to your father, or your Uncle Bart might find himself minus a limb or two." Another good-humoured wink follows his statement. He's fairly sure he could beat the ass of any of his brothers even without his weapons, but he'd rather not have his first act on Helovian soil be to teach his nephew a bad word.

Aelfwine introduces herself as the boy's aunt, and it surprises Bartholomeo that the two haven't met before. Surely Tilney would have happily shown off his new son to all of his siblings, and nurtured the same close relationship that they all used to have? Tilney has had quite a few children at this point. The stag's eyes widen; this surprises him, as his brother had always seemed the monogamous sort. Hell, Bartholomeo himself used to restrict himself to one woman, even if he'd hidden his sorrow at the loss of that woman by indulging in the succours of dozens of others. Before this dark thought can sour him further, he quickly passes it off as he usually does - with a brazen comment. "Damn, and I thought I was the family stud." It looks like he'll be having a stern chat with his little brother about the birds and the bees.

I followed Tuppence here, she has … had Carlisle’s remains. The mention of Carlisle makes his gut twitch, and guilt bubbles in his heart again. "Carlisle, may she rest in peace, is why I'm here, actually." He owes his sister an explanation; it's good that he's found family here, but he isn't going to pretend that it happened on purpose. No, it was just a happy accident borne of his desire to hunt down the thieves who took his possessions. "For years I've carried her sash, so that I can always keep her close. A few weeks ago, though, I was attacked and robbed by a roving vagabond band. They took nearly everything from me - my weapons, my trinkets, and the sash." The stallion's normally jovial expression suddenly darkens, and he paws the sodden mud beneath with one dripping hoof. "I've followed one of them here, because I'm going to get that sash back even if it's the last thing I do." That is a vow he does not intend to break.

Byron and Aelfwine have both mentioned herds - the Dragon's Throat and the World's Edge. As much as he would like to join one of them, the stag simply cannot bring himself to live amongst another herd, when he left his pirate band to spend time alone. In addition, he needs all the time and energy he can muster to hunt down the thieves, and a herd may restrict that. "As much as I would like to accompany one of you to your herds - whether I'm invited or not - I need to hunt down the thieves and take back my items. That will be easier alone." He frowns and shakes his rain-soaked mane. "This place definitely has an appeal, though. I can see myself staying here. Is there an ocean nearby?" If so, he can make that his temporary home...he always feels safer by the sea.

He looks at the damp trees, sensing a new adventure on the horizon, before pivoting his ears to try and listen to Byron's answer to Aelfwine's question about where his mother is. The priority will be getting the lad home safe, and maybe giving Tilney a slap around the chops at the same time for his seemingly carefree attitude towards reproduction.

B A R T H O L O M E O
image credits

@Byron @Aelfwine

Outcast
Nova

"Really you're my uncle?" There's no hiding the excitement which vibrated through him, small flaxen tail raised as his ears pressed so far forward they may have popped off his skull. "I have an Uncle!" Small front hooves stomped into the muddy ground in glee and his heart hammered in his petite chest. His ma really hadn't said much about the other side of his family, the none winged part, which was where he got his little flightless shoulders and rack of antlers from. Let alone touched upon the fact he possibly had an Uncle, or maybe aunts, cousins maybe? The list was endless. He could tip toe and be sneaky from here til he was filled out with youthful adolescence, and she wouldn't utter anymore than she had. Part of him wanted to think she was being coy, an independent mothers instinct to keep a man at arms length from her children, but a small part of him wondered if she had really known anything more than the scraps she'd told him.

Whatever a bastard was, the two older unicorns weren't telling and it earned a small huff from the boy. His mismatched gaze goes from the grey mare to the chimeric stag as they each rebuffed his question. Though Bartholomeo's response earned a sniggered breath in return. "Fine, I won't tell. You better tell me when I'm older though, or I'll tell my pa on you." When I find him, I guess. He's smart enough to know to bite his tongue on that, because he's genuinely happy that he's found his family, and he doesn't want to ruin the moment with his own rain cloud.

Is your father Tilney? "Yeah," he nodded and turned his fully attention back to the grey doe, his own brand of merry vibrated through his core as he watched her, "you're my aunt too!?" His head instinctively cocked, large ears flopped to the side as he tried to find a hint of his tree marking on her. He found it eventually, squinting through the rain until he saw the vivid branches of white on her flanks. What a funny place! But then again, Jude had his tree marking on his butt. A big ol'white butt tree. "Do I have anymore aunts and uncles? Are they here? Do they live with you? Oh, my name is Byron!" Chipper and cheerful, he took a step or two forward and attempted to reach out with his muzzle to gently bump it against the grey's.

The attention dropped off him again, and he didn't mind. Instead, he was content to stand there as the rain pitter pattered into his eyes and on his hair and watch them with a curious gaze. Wait til he told Jude, and wait til he told Ma! He'd met his family, if only his brother was here though. Soon enough, they both turned back to him and his ears propped forward, odd coloured eyes bright as he listened to Aelfwine. "I'm out here with my ma and my twin brother, Jude." He replied, his head nudged toward the clearing he had jumped through to get here. "My ma is here to make sure strangers don't get lost. Don't worry, I know my way back!"  

♥︎