the Rift

[PRIVATE] hey, brother

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
a light from the shadows shall spring
Mesec’s family in the Edge was larger now, it seemed, than he had originally thought it would be. On the journey here, he had just assumed it would be his children and him - no other family ties. But he had found out on day one just how wrong that assumption had been when Roskuld had come shouting at him while Tembovu was welcoming him.

Perhaps that was why his mother had encouraged him to come here? Had she known that other members of his family had joined the Edge? It was difficult to say - but he doubted she felt any kinship with d’Artagnan’s other children or with Roskuld, not even for his sake.

So it must instead just be a happy coincidence.

Fatherhood had kept him busier than he believed possible and so Mesec had fallen behind on his plans both to join the herd properly and to reunite with his family. Especially a certain brother. It was still a little strange to think of Sacre as his brother - after knowing him only as an acquaintance and then a herd mate in the Throat for so long.

With Lucius keeping an eye on the children, Mesec decided that this chilly Frostfall afternoon as as good of a time as any to see if he could find Sacre and... catch up… or something. Was having a brother just like having a sister? Or having which sister would it be most like? Because his memories with Aviya were very different than what his memories with Roskuld had been.

The tribrid wandered near the borders of the Edge, feeling relatively certain that he had seen Sacre around there before and figuring it was at least worth the shot. Snow was falling gently from the sky but the horizon was darkening with the promise of a storm later on in the day. Hopefully Mesec would be lucky and find his brother before it hit.

image credits

for @Sacre :D
it's not much but it's a start <3
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
He was lingering by the borders… again.

A passer-by might think he was loathe to live in the Edge, unsociable and disinterested, but Sacre hovered around there for a much more important, if a little heart-wrenching, reason than that. He idled in hope of a re-union with a brother, and on this day, a chilly Frostfall afternoon, Sacre came across his fellow kin and one he didn’t expect. As the odd snowflake soaked into his fur, a lopsided, fond smile spread across his lips as the fox-boy caught a glimpse of a rare half-moon—his demi-god brother. Sacre still couldn’t quite believe he was related to a son of the Moon, he also never really wanted to hear the stories of d’Artagnan’s past… apart from this one. However, it was the one story that his father was least inclined to recall, as if some great shame weighed on him that it was too much for even he, the Nightshade, to whisper from memory. Each time the old Doctor had mentioned Mesec he seemed... laboured by something. So much so that, despite being brothers, Sacre knew very little about the Nightwind, only that they were half-siblings and he had only just found that out. 

The Nurse was one fox down again, this time it was Inari who had gone hunting, leaving a disgruntled Ríona to gingerly pick her way through the snowy Worlds Edge whilst she grumbled in Sacre's head about deserts and sunshine. Though the fox-boy was now far too pre-occupied with pouncing upon a brother he never knew he had. 

"Hey brother" he called, enthusiastically bouncing his way towards Mesec, feeling a sudden surge of happiness that finally he had found a family member. As usual, Sacre had about a trillion questions that he wanted to ask, but this time he took a moment, a breath to pause and revel in his newfound connection that hadn't existed before. They had even shared the same herd at one time and not once had the fox-boy realised the relation, making him feel a little dim. Five years old and not at any point had he known that he had an older brother... Had Aviya known? Or Nao? Out of all the things that Sacre wanted to say, his sentimentality won out in the end "I missed you" for all those times that could have been, had I have known.

Putting aside his dewey-eyed emotions, his expression becoming thoughtful, he wondered how to start. How did he begin to get to know a brother he never knew he had? There were so many question marks in his head, but Sacre had only just realised that perhaps he might be interrupting Mesec, although part of him also wanted to barricade the way so that his brother could not leave until the fox-boy's insatiable curiosity was satisfied as could be possible. Yet, where intrigue may have won in the past, Sacre had since learnt the wisdom of manners over greed and, not without a small pout, he reeled himself in "do you mind if I keep you company?" he asked with hope.

on the day that you were born the angels got together
and decided to create a dream come true

yewrezz

@Mesec <3333
sorry for the wait! blame the school work :T

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Mesec laughed in a bright, warm way with how casually Sacre greeted him as brother - his eyes lighting up as he turned to watch the enthusiastic red and black stallion bound towards him through the snow. For a fascinating, wonderful moment he realized how much Sacre and Vesper were similar - and he hoped it would  not be too long before he would get the chance to introduce his brother to his children. That moment passed, waved away at the sentimental, and appreciated, words that Sacre spoke when he arrived by Mesec. “I missed you too.” Mesec responded with a small, sad smile despite the hope and happiness that were growing within him. It wasn’t too late, they could still be a family.

If things became all that Mesec hoped, they would not need to miss each other again.

He was quick to dismiss Sacre’s concern about whether Mesec minded his company, shaking his dark head as he grinned. “Not at all, I was actually hoping to see you today.” Mesec confessed - his smile brightening at his luck for a moment before darkening, fading away into thoughtfulness again.

He had his own questions for Sacre, dozens of them, and they were all crowding in his mind and demanding to be asked first. Had their father been different with him? Did they have any more siblings Mesec did not know about? But only one could slip out first, the hesitant and self-conscious words practically falling out of him as his silver eyes regarded his brother. “Did… did you always know I was your brother?” Mesec asked the question quietly. He was afraid that the answer might have been yes but he felt relatively certain that it would not be. Sacre had proved himself a friendly, cheerful stallion and it was hard to believe he would keep such a huge thing secret. But Mesec needed to ask, to know for certain because there were echoes of it in his mind that he needed to silence.

Did our father ever mention his first son?

image credits

@Sacre <3

He was more than glad that Mesec had been actually looking for him, it meant that Sacre could take up all of his time without feeling guilty, perhaps the Nightwind might regret looking for him later when he realises that his newfound sibling could talk endlessly without much need for pause. If the Words Edge ever hosted a "who can talk the most" championship then Sacre would most likely win it every year. Of course, the fox-boy had many things to ask Mesec, though he was interested most in what Mesec wanted to know. How much did his half-brother know about their family? Did he know he had other siblings? Cousins? Uncles? Aunts? d'Artagnan had shared blood with many in Helovia. Even Sacre didn't know all of their family. He had met Mesec a few times before in passing, thinking him a friend, but never once did he guess a sibling. So when his broken father, chained between damning sorrow and the oblivion of insanity, had enlightened him after Aviya had died, Sacre had been more than surprised to say the least. That his father had kept such a big thing from him and that, for almost five years, there wasn't a moment the fox-boy guessed the truth. 

When Mesec asked he shook his head "no" Sacre was certain that even if he had known, Mesec would have too, the fox-boy was awful at keeping secrets, even if, once upon a time, he had been the king of spies"Only recently, our father told me about you not long after Aviya died... I followed him when he left Helovia" out of concern he had followed the Nightshade, if he hadn't he might still be ignorant now about his relation to Mesec and about what had happened to his eldest sister, though Sacre was certain he would have heard about it soon enough. At least it had been from his father and not second hand from a stranger. "How much do you know about our family?" he asked, perhaps Mesec might know something Sacre didn't or vice versa; how much had d'Artagnan hidden from him? Apart from the dead bodies, of course.

Since learning of the Nightwind the fox-boy often thought back to his childhood, his innocent youth spent mostly beside Roux with a dream of one day curing his twin's daytime blindness, but in all those memories he never once saw a clue about Mesec, not even in hindsight. Had Aviya known Mesec? Admittedly, Sacre had always been intimidated by his eldest sister, thinking she was the eldest child of his father, although he had loved her all the same and would have looked to her for guidance. Back then, living in the Basin was easy... If you had a horn that was. "What happened... Between you and father?" he asked lastly, gently, softly, wondering if Mesec had grown up in the Aurora Basin or... the Worlds Edge? Sacre knew hardly anything about before the Aurora Basin. Maybe he had lived amongst the stars before descending to earth, in any case, he could almost imagine his own father's expression when he was presented with a son with wings—he hoped for Mesec's sake that it was his mother, the Goddess, who stayed by his side. 

yewrezz

@Mesec endless apologies for the lateness <3

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

blood coursing in the veins of the moon.
Mesec wasn’t sure which answer to his question would have hurt more - to know that Sacre had known, or to know that their father hadn’t ever mentioned Mesec to the children he had after Mesec had left - but there was some sort of relief when Sacre shook his head and said that he had not known. Not until recently. There was a swell of hope when Sacre mentioned that he had followed d’Artagnan out of Helovia. Was he still alive? There were questions that bubbled within his mind but, first, he would answer the one asked of him.

How much did he know about their family? He was starting to think it wasn’t much at all.

“I know that we had a sister in Aviya, and have a brother named Roux. I met him a little while ago, he was looking for you.” But his meeting with Roux had not gone as Mesec had wished - how he wanted a second chance with the brother that looked so like their father. “And… our father mentioned another sister, Ráeru?” Mesec’s tone turned questioning, wondering if he remembered the name correctly. “And I know that your mother died, which I am very sorry about.” Mesec wasn’t entirely sure that he considered Kou a member of his family - he did not remember the pale mare being particularly kind towards him but she hadn’t been cruel either - but she was part of Sacre’s family, and for that he felt a kinship to her. He was distressed on their father’s behalf to learn that she had passed. “Is there more?” He asked quietly, cautiously, and with no shortage of hope. All he had ever wanted was a family, and it seemed like ever since his children had been born it was blooming before him - revealing family he never knew that he had.

Sacre’s next question had Mesec lapsing into a silence, considering how to explain what had happened. It felt so long ago, a lifetime, since he had lived with their father.  “I… I don’t think he was ever happy that I existed. Not at first, anyway. I was a winged son born of a goddess that wasn’t Kou - plopped neatly into their lives in the Edge after I had been born and disrupting everything.” Mesec wished now that he had asked more questions the last time he had spoken to d’Artagnan. What had the Nightshade really thought of his son with the moon?

“I tried to follow in his hoofprints, to be the son I thought he wanted me to be.” His voice was still quiet, lamenting, still wishing he had been enough for both of his parents. “I lived with him when the herd moved to the Basin for a time but then…” Mesec wanted to tell Sacre the truth but he did not wish to speak ill of their dead sister, to dredge up the harsh words from Aviya that had finally driven him from the Basin. “They hadn’t been kind to me there because of my wings so before I was a year old I left the Basin and our father’s family and... I didn’t go back.” Had that been the right choice? Mesec couldn’t regret the actions that led him to Ophelia and Roskuld, to the peace that he had found temporarily in the Foothills before the darkness had taken over and shifted everything again.

“It was years until I saw him again, which I regret now. I wish I had made more effort to spend time with him before he left Helovia.” Dredging up his past continued to weigh heavily on Mesec and he watched Sacre carefully - wondering, but presently afraid to outright ask, whether his brother's early years were just as chaotic.

image credits

@Sacre <3

The more Sacre thought about it the more he wistfully realised that, really quite truthfully, he didn't know very much about his family. Even Mesec, the more he thought about it, the half-brother who had lived apart from him and Roux, probably knew about as much as he did. Sacre didn't know that d'Artagnan had many cousins, a sister, a niece and he certainly didn't know that some of them lived in Helovia. In essence, he knew diddly squat when it came to the many blood ties that extended across Helovia and beyond. He already had enough problems trying to keep track of his closest siblings, who liked leading him a merry dance, to which he had only seen Mesec and Raeru recently, so it was probably in the fox-boys best interest that he knew nothing about the others who shared blood with him. Ah! Yet here he was, forgetting Mesec's dear two children, his niece and nephew, whom Sacre so desperately wanted to meet. Though the healer would be sure to mention them later, right now his attention was fixed to the Moon's son and his recollection of the Nightshades other children. 

As he rattled them off, Sacre smiled and nodded, he knew all of them by name at least apart from one, but even Sacre hardly knew anything about her. "You almost have them all" he grinned lopsided before his expression turned sadly thoughtful "yes there was Aviya" dead "there is Nao also, though I haven't ever seen her" missing "Roux... my twin brother" beloved other-half, also missing "and the youngest, Ráeru" a pearl amongst rocks—not missing. "Ráeru is actually here, in the Worlds Edge, she's a healer" he beamed proudly, he still didn't know very much about his little sister, but he loved her very much all the same. However, one part of Mesec's reply didn't go unnoticed and Sacre zoned in on his brother, his gaze suddenly pleading and very intense "where did you see Roux? I have been looking for him for seasons" his words were almost dire, how many times and how many Helovians had he asked about Roux? He didn't care, the more information he had, the more his chances narrowed down.... He hoped. Sacre wouldn't stop until everyone knew he was looking for a precious red boy and the name, Roux, whispered on every gust of wind then maybe, finally, his infuriatingly elusive twin might open his ears to hear his brother who so desperately called his name.

As usual when Sacre thought about his freaky family, his emotions went wild like being on a rollercoaster, hurtling him through nostalgia, pain, hope and sadness. Kou. Sacre had adored his mother, so when stumbling across her mangled body one fateful day in the Thistle Meadow was shocking to say the least, it wasn't even enough to say that he was crushed by it. He still avoided the Meadow if he could because of it and, to this day, had never mentioned his mother in conversation again. Though still he smiled gratefully at Mesec, nodding a silent thanks, but said nothing of her. 

"There may be more, but this is all I know" he humorously shrugged, still wondering if any other relative might worm its way out of the woodwork and he too hoped that maybe there might be more to this oddball family.

The fox-boy was sadly unsurprised by Mesec's admission of neglect as a child, the misfortune of being born with the blessed ability to fly in a herd under the rule of racist Unicorns was never going to end well, the Nightshade's bigotry made sure of that. Sacre didn't know if d'Artagnan ever truly cared for Mesec though he sincerely hoped his father had, under all the rough exterior he displayed, that blurred the lines between deceit and honesty. "I'm sorry... So sorry Mesec" Sacre bowed his head, his blue eyes glittering sadly, if his father wouldn't apologise, his son would. The fox-boy also felt a little guilt, he had believed the dribble of unicorn supremacy when he was younger and it wasn't until Lace instilled some doubt in his mind that Sacre began to think otherwise.

"I never saw him much either" he admitted too, Sacre was always rather scared of him as he could never guess his mood from one day to the next. Though he couldn't imagine the kind of frightening moments Mesec went through as Sacre's single, crimson horn made sure he was treated like a true son of d'Artagnan, like Mesec should have been. "Sometimes I wonder about why he was like that, what made him so angry all the time, so annoyed... Was he saveable?" had there ever been a moment when the old Plague Doctor could have been rescued from his own contempt. 

To live with so much hatred must have been agony. 

Sacre took the downturn in conversation as an opportunity to lighten it, looking at Mesec curiously as he remembered what he wanted ask earlier, "your children, how are they?" he chimed, intrigued to know more about his brothers young family.

yewrezz

precious @Mesec <3

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

The list of siblings that they share was still longer than Mesec expected. He hadn’t known about the other two sisters - and he committed their names to memory so that he would recognize them if he heard them again. What was more surprising than learning he had two sisters that he had never heard of before, was learning that one of them was with them in the Edge. While Sacre beamed proudly at the fact that she was a healer, Mesec felt dumbfounded. “We have a sister here too??” Mesec’s surprise about this information is incredibly plain. What were the chances of that?

Clumsily, he tried to explain why this was so incredible to him. Because it wasn’t just flesh and blood family that Mesec had here - but more beyond that (once) flimsy bond as well. “My adoptive sister is here too…” He spoke it in a musing tone, still baffled by how incredibly coincidental this was all turning out to be. Not for the first time, he had to wonder whether his mother had known - if her encouraging words to bring his young twins to the Edge had been because she knew he would find the family he longed for in these borders. That thought, quietly spoken, was followed by a hasty explanation. “Her mother took me in after I left the Basin.” And then Mesec regretted sharing this information as soon as he said it but can only hope that it did not bring Sacre any pain or discomfort. Mesec’s foal hood certainly wasn’t Sacre’s fault, but the red-accented boy gave the impression that he cared.

Mesec wished that he had better news regarding Roux, but he gave what little information he had as honestly as he could. “It’s been a while, almost a year and a half since I last saw him. But we crossed paths in the Deep Forest.” How different this meeting with Sacre was going than the first time Mesec had met Roux. “I’m afraid I made a rather poor first impression on him, I doubt he’ll be excited to see me when he does return.”

Sacre’s apologies were met with a sad smile, and a whispered “It’s okay.” Because, even though it was very much not okay, that was what you said when someone apologized and it wasn’t their fault. Besides, his brother went on to explain that he hadn’t seen much of their father either - and Mesec wasn’t sure whether that made anything worse or better. And then, when Sacre asked whether d’Artagnan was saveable - Mesec didn’t know what to say. Because, of course, Mesec’s answer was a loud and firm yes. They could save him - there was always hope.

But what did Mesec know? Who was he to make any sort of claim that he could save the father he never really knew?

So he left the question alone, happily attaching himself to the next one - thoughts of his children bringing forth a smile that chased away the darkness and clouds in Mesec’s silver eyes. “Vesper is well, she’s taken to living in the Edge very nicely. But my son Virga… I haven’t seen him in some time. I think he might have gone looking for his mother, and I do hope that is the case.” And then Mesec realized that Sacre wouldn’t know what he was talking about, so he explained. “Their mother, Ki’irha, lived in the Basin. She was - or is - one of the warriors there and needed to leave on a patrol outside of Helovia. So I brought the twins to live with me here in the Edge. It was a lot of change to happen in a short period of time for them, and I think out of the pair Virga was the least happy to leave the Basin and their first home.” He frowned then, doubt creeping in. “I still don’t know if it was the right choice.”

And then, because they were sharing stories and information - already having learned so much about each other as they tried to catch up on years of wasted time, Mesec can’t help but ask “Do you have any kids?” Sacre seemed young to Mesec, and it likely would have come up already, but speaking of foals seemed safe and he might as well ask to find out for sure whether there were any nieces and nephews to add to the long list of family he had not known existed.

image credits

@Sacre <33