the Rift

[OPEN] Cold skin and echoes

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
A M P E R E
"Any existence deprived of freedom is a kind of death" -- Michel Aoun

"Alright, tell me," Ampere hiccuped, already buzzed on the various frozen delectables she'd found in the area. She was sprawled out on the floor of the Rotunda, her back legs stretched out, her wings splayed, and head cradled in the nook of her extended forelimbs, staring sideways at the rainbows cast down through the stained glass. That, and her companion, the little green parrot that was sitting on the edge of her left forehoof; the rainbows were just a touch distracting.

"What?" her chirped in response, imitating her voice rather well. She giggled at that, and he delighted in her joy, ignoring that it was brought on by inebriation. He was just glad to have a kind of Ampere who paid him any mind, but even normal Ampere was better than the mare she'd been since Gaucho's passing. So instead of asking questions, Kygo merely lived with it.

"You know, tell me. Anything, everything, whatever you want to talk about." Her words came out a bit sloppy, but they were understandable, just a bit slow, delayed by the alcohol's haze.
He cocked his head to the side in response, abruptly devoid of anything to say now that the spotlight had been turned on. A nervous gray-indigo crawled up their bond, and Ampere pushed it away hastily, not wanting any feelings of worry to affect her good vibes.

"Alright alright I'll ask, you just answer, okay? Tell me, is the desert too hot for you?" She had always preached getting to know your companion animal's natural needs; many were subjected to an unnatural life because of their horse's preferences. Sometimes as small as temperature, others larger, like war. Despite this, Ampere, ever the best hypocrite, had never bothered to learn anything about her companion - not as a species, and barely as an individual. Of course, accuse her of this and she'd scoff, saying she never wanted to be bonded in the first place, as if that somehow justified her neglect.
"Yes," Kygo answered after a moment of thought, and the reply had a low, sad sort of sound. Ampere was afraid of him harshing her bad vibes? Then why was she asking these sort of questions?
"Often?" she asked tenderly among their minds.
"...Yes." Kygo said, hesitant, his beady stare turning away. "Now nice. Tallsun..." "Too hot," Ampere finished for him. "That's why you're always in the shade and the Oasis water, why you're panting and slow and grouchy." His youth probably got him through it, but as he got older, could he really handle living in the Throat?

"What's your favorite thing to eat?" she queried, remaining bright, but there was an obvious change in her demeanor. Though hardly drunk on her ass, yet, she was already sobering with these thoughts.
"Seeds!" Kygo answered brightly, a warm orange tinging their bond with happiness, his answer gushing in an attempt to please her.
It didn't though, because she titled her head that way. "Most of the plants in the Throat are cacti or weeds though, they don't really drop seeds," she murmured. The weeds tended to have feathery poofy methods of reproduction, or burs, relying on wind and passing animals to spread them. The cactus had some flowers and prickly pears, but not traditional seeds, not like the oats and wheat of the Heavenly Fields, or the fruits of the Meadows and around this Rotunda. Thankfully though Ampere didn't find the Throat's vegetation much to her taste either, so she was usually grazing elsewhere, which provided the bird ample opportunity too.

Her heart strained in her chest, what little bits of it were left anyway. She sat up more, leaning on her sternum, her legs curling under her, sheltering, while Kygo hopped off onto the ground. She leveled him with a blue stare, and he was unable to avoid it, his feathers fluffing up anxiously as he met it.
"Do you like being bonded?" Ampere asked with a seriousness that overwhelmed her blissful liquor.

Credits: Image by Tabini
Coding by Tamme

Open thread! Tagging @Verro and @Erthë since you previously posted in my plot thread for an Ampere post :O

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Serenity Posts: 78
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 7 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Avis
Sing to me the song of the stars
Of your galaxy
There was no such thing as a clean slate.

Despite not being able to remember, despite an entire handful of her life simply gone, she was plagued; the what-could-have-been’s of her past haunted her, kept her awake at all hours, and her failures caught up to her as well. She was so sure that she was ready to get them back, that she would do whatever it took to find the missing pieces of a mind that was once whole. But before she even hardly began, she gave up. She ran. There wasn't an answer as to why, a reason--did she need one? She felt as though she did, she wanted one more than anything, she wanted an excuse other than her own cowardice. But, of course, she had to accept something she knew, for once, to be fact.

She pulled away of her own accord.

There was no going back.

So instead she went forward, anywhere that wasn't the Throat. She couldn't think of Gaucho, didn't want to go near anything that he might be acquainted with. She didn't want to be reminded of her own undoings. Except she was heading directly where she shouldn't go; to the sole being that carried him around everywhere she went. Not that Serenity knew--she didn't know anything.

She couldn't remember.

So even though she moved toward a voice she recognized but had no name to give it, she was, in a way, blissfully unaware. The voice was old (begrudging memories pulling from her landing in the Threshold where it all began) but she knew she met the one behind it before. The one whose concern was so lost upon her; the worry and relief and tension merely sliding past her golden body. They were friends--the closest Serenity had been to another there in Helovia--and it was snatched away by the hand of the storm. She wanted to be furious, she wanted to yell at the skies and fight back against the lightning, yet she didn't know she was supposed to feel those things. Where there would have been a heart flooded with as many emotions as Ampere felt, there was nothing.

She just wanted to go away, away somewhere she could be at peace from both the land and herself. So she wandered without a direction, without an idea of where she wanted to be. Fate would have it that she came across the one she ran from so many moons ago, not seeing her since the first time. Really she had fled from Torleik and the winged woman appeared at the ends of her decision, but she didn't know of the consequences then.
She would once again find herself in the midst of thick underbrush and lowly-hanging branches, just as she had in the labyrinth. And when the words being spoken, though muffled by the distance, floated gently to her, she allowed curiosity to get the better of herself.

Through the break in the boughs and upon a large stone structure, the body of the woman with the blue-tipped feathers sitting upright brought Serenity tentatively stepping forward, her own version of concern spreading across her heart. "Are... Are you alright?" The question was hardly more than a whisper as it traveled between them, she being completely ignorant of the discussion between the bonded. She couldn't see Kygo from her standpoint; she worried over the other pegasus and thought only of something having harmed her.
CREDIT

eep @ampere

STARS FADING BUT I LINGER ON DEAR
STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS
(Please tag me in every post)

A M P E R E

The bird didn't immediately answer, which begged the question, why? If he could answer everything else so easily, then what was the hesitation now? Was it because the truth was no, but he feared to tell her? Was it that he didn't know anything else so how could he even respond at all? It's like asking do you like breathing air? Maybe he was going to say, yes, but not with you, but Ampere never got the chance to hear, because just then Serenity walked in - oh the irony of that name.

All Ampere knew was that Kygo didn't say yes.

Her head turned faintly at the sound of a voice. Blue eyes slid over the crafted walls of the Rotunda until they found the freckled limbs of a mare she knew but still deemed stranger. Ampere blinked, a long, drawn out movement, before she gave a soft laugh - little more than a puff of air choking its way from her lungs. "Are any of us ever alright?" she mused, her head drifting back to lay upon her folded knees, deciding the intruder was not a threat, not int he physical sense anyway.

Kygo by then had fluttered up somewhere safer, and his mind probed with a questioning jade tinge.

"Still keeping out of trouble Serenity?" Ampere asked conversationally. She had considered saying, it's good to see you again... but that felt too much like a lie - was it good? She had also entertained, so where you been lately? but she honestly didn't care. Truthfully, she wasn't sure if she cared whether or not the girl was keeping out of trouble, but it helped allude to their first meeting, and all the gaps that followed suit.

Ampere was not trying to be cruel, but when she had so little heart left to give to those she did care about, pretending she had anything left for a ghost was impossible.

Coding by Tamme

@Serenity

Avis
Of your galaxy
Mad.

She became mad. She had no right to be--she didn't know Ampere--but the feeling leaked its way inside and gripped a tight hold. That was not the Ampere she had expected, laying pathetically on the ground with vague retorts for someone she claimed to once know. The lighting mare versus the starry one; it was Serenity whom weakness became a fond friend. It was her who took all the wrong turns and never pursed her dreams; when the blue-tipped pegasus found her way into the Threshold and shared such concern for her--that was when Serenity realized, she determined after much time, that she needn't remember their past together to know her.

Simply Ampere remembering her was enough.

The appearance of Kygo, eyes finally fixating on what all the speaking was about, sent her further into her personal rage. Her golden eyes narrowed at Ampere's back, words rolling off her starry hide. "Clearly you have not." The concern she'd had originally didn't fade, but she felt nothing else for the state of her once-friend. Ampere had gotten herself into her own messes and could very well pull herself out of them; Serenity knew it was no business of hers to interfere, nor did Ampere want her interference, yet she could not shake the strange connection she felt with her then. They were both hitting bottom, Serenity fleeing where Ampere became intoxicated.

The golden girl let loose a sigh and moved into the other's vision, harboring no fear from her. She remembered Kygo, and glanced up to give him a soft smile in reassurance; she would and could do no harm to his companion. "Tell me," her voice was calmer then, almost melancholic, "What was it like before I forgot everything? You and me?" The stone foundation below was hardly big enough to accommodate two of them laying down in a comfortable manner, but Serenity did so anyway and rested beside the smaller mare. If she couldn't get her memories back, she would at least try to piece some of the missing parts together.
CREDIT

STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS

A M P E R E

The anger that rolls off the star speckled mare is hot. It brands Ampere in the form of the girl's tongue, and it's a sobering effect. Surprised, Ampere's head lifts back up, milky and distant stare rapidly clearing into something sharper and more direct. It's an unusual thing, to be the source of an ire that you cannot place, a wrath that feels unjust. All the times Ampere has collected and withstood the anger of others, she always expected it, begged for it even. Sometimes it was the best way to have a conversation with Maren. This time though she could only regard the mare and her unusual temper with a confused haze, yet there was an equal sensation of content that pervaded Ampere,

It was, in a sense, the feeling of being kicked while down.
Not in any cruel way, but rather the lack of gentle coddling and concerned cooing. Serenity did not regard Ampere as if her psyche were a fragile egg. She was ruthless in pinning Ampere down and demanding, reprimanding. It was what he would have done if he saw her now.

She probably doesn't even know.

The thought crosses Ampere's mind like an angry lash, cutting across the comfort that was descending on her so that it hurt all over again. So as Serenity softens and comes closer, Ampere has hardened. "Gaucho was alive back then," Ampere spat, her ears falling back. "Which you would have known if you were ever around."

"What we were back then was friends, family, but time and again you left." The edge of her voice thickened, grief creeping in where the heat of anger had burned itself out. "I mean you left - where the fuck have you been!? How do you just come back and hit on me like I've done wrong when you leave for years!"

Ampere had begun to rise somewhere among her tirade, which was a graceless act. She swayed unsteadily throughout the process, and paused in a sitting position to catch her balance. It seemed in that pause she caught some significant that Serenity had said too, because she glanced back oddly to the mare.

"You said you forgot?"
Wasn't much to remember.

Coding by Tamme

@Serenity

Avis
Of your galaxy
She expected the backlash. She didn't have to know Ampere to sense that she was a proud figure amid the rest of the world; she knew she would be treated to the same hot whip that she had just given. The muddled-turned-sharp gaze Ampere laid upon her brought a small smirk onto her lips; the clear surprise at her outburst showed that she most likely hadn't had many before--at least not that the smaller mare had seen. And while Serenity couldn't remember the time then either, vague memories brought her back to her childhood in slavery. There, at least, she'd had enough attitude to escape beneath the unicorns' watch.

But when the words behind the look finally emerged, Serenity's mind numbed and the upward curve of her lips faltered. Gaucho? The emotion spilled with just that name sent her reeling back through fuzzy memories to search for the connection, but she would only come up empty handed. She didn't know of the kind of relationship Ampere had had with him, but given her malice within her reaction the golden girl could only imagine they were close. Of course, that wasn't the thing she had meant to illicit but it was done and seemed to sober them both up out of their individual stupors.

She, at least, was stunned into silence while her question lingered between them.

The connection she felt with Ampere, then, was justified as the woman spoke and revealed the nature of their shared past. But it was all lost upon her, and she wasn't sure anymore if their bond was something that could be repaired.
The bitterness at her leaving, however, might have been enough to sever the potential completely; Serenity could only admit defeat there, despite not remembering why she had left in the first place. Something had pushed her to her brink though, and trying to delve into that time brought something heavy slinking to the forefront. "There was... a darkness. Death." But it was all she could recall.

With Ampere's full focus settled on her, Serenity remained unmoved beneath her much clearer gaze. A realization seemed to hit her, calming her enough for an easier conversation. "Yes. It would seem before you found me that first time, I took enough damage from the storm to lose any previous memories of being here..." She paused, a slight apologetic shrug interrupting her solidified position on the stone floor. "I remember the time before that, but until you and Torleik had recognized me I had no idea I was here before."

Star-riddled head rising, gold eyes wavered uneasily on her companion. "I have not gotten any of those memories back." That was when she went off in search of Gaucho, she wanted to say, but instead she remained quiet and let the weight of their words hang over them.
CREDIT

dont mind me just another month late as usual :')

STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS

A M P E R E

Ampere had to give credit to Serenity for taking the verbal backlash well. She didn't cower or dither, didn't tense with a defensive posture suggesting attack. If anything she seemed to accept it, an admission of guilt in so many ways - or perhaps just a lack of processing, unaware of her sins and so numb to the admonishment of them. Whatever it was, Ampere readily listened when she, breathless, finished and Serenity picked up slowly.

"The wraiths," Ampere filled in for her, something fearful just tinging the back of her words. Years ago and those memories still haunted Ampere, terrified her beyond measure. She never wanted to feel that helpless again. It granted her more kindness towards this old friend. "Darkness came upon the realm and forced us all underground. Those of us who were unlucky became monsters - wraiths. We could barely fight back... eventually our gods overturned it."

A lifetime ago...

"That's when I first met you," Ampere tilted her head, trying to piece it together. Serenity seemed fine after that, when the darkness was beaten back and they lived in the Throat. Serenity suggested the last time she was here though, she was already suffering from the Amnesia. Ampere's lips pursed, doubtful, but her expression was not unfriendly.

"There is magic which could help you return your memories," Ampere suggested. "The God of the Sun himself oversees such abilities, it might do you well to return to his herd and his watch." Ampere paused, as if she was offering advice and not an invitation, since his herd was herd herd. She wasn't one to condemn those who leave, not forever, not when she's been guilty of it. So she softens again, a wry smile on her lips. "You're always welcome back in the Throat."

Coding by Tamme

@Serenity