the Rift

[OPEN] Take me away and make it OK

Iskra Posts: 79
Dragon's Throat Colt
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17 :: 1 year
Castiel :: Royal Humpback Leviathan :: Tidal Wave Blu

Mom was out, again, so Iskra decided he could go out too!

It was his first time venturing beyond the Throat without some member of his family in tow. The fact his wings were still young to fly him across should have been an indication that maybe he shouldn't, but another part of him, the boy part, or the young part, or both just said to hell with it!. What else were magical fire wings for? He had to wait until someone else with a key was crossing of course, but it was easy enough to get across; they didn't pay him any mind, he was part of the herd after all and he wasn't their son so what did they care?

Plus, being the good kid hadn't earned him much, but maybe some mischief would. On the inside Iskra wasn't counting this as a desperate plea for attention from his mom, but if you really analyzed this little act of reckless abandon, that's probably what it was. To Iskra though, it was just adventure! Exciting, alone, kind-of-dangerous adventure. It was as thrilling as it was paralyzing, but fortunately Iskra's natural tendency for smiles and fearlessness overwhelmed the latter feeling. The worry subsided, drifting out like low tide in his being, as he instead raced down the beaches whooping and hollering, only stopping when exhaustion struck him in the Flats.

Sides heaving, ears flicking, eyes bright, Iskra pranced through the salted terrain, marveling at the reflections the shallow water cast off. It was like staring into a different world, this sky reflected back at him, so bright and promising even among the Frostfall chill and the political gloom.
Knowing better than to drink this water (he'd already tried at the ocean once, bad choice), Iskra was still thirsty. He struck out a hoof and attempted to carve out the soil with it, hoping there might be something less salted underneath

Open thread but tagging @Tiamat and @Kiada since we had talked about threading together!

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Kiada Posts: 181
World's Edge Nurse
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 2 years - Birdsong
Khairi :: Leucistic Lammergeier :: Paralyze Skylark
Kiada

It was an adventure again to search for Kianzo. Khairi had grown used to taking to the skies, his massive pale form blending in with the clouds above as they searched yet another strange looking world. The vulture’s rapturous gaze didn’t miss a thing as he scanned the environment directly ahead of Kiada – and the filly herself took to a full gallop. She was growing taller, and had begun filling out in various areas. Where she used to be a knobby looking filly, she was filling out slowly in her chest and hindquarters. Her legs were still long due to the fact she had a lot of height to make up for. She wasn’t sure how tall she’d grow, but she hoped it would be taller than her mother. Her father was an Elephant King after all. So the child had large expectations.

She traversed the salty coated earth, ponds splashing and rippling with her movements as the buckskin child moved. Her ashen head lifted high and determined as she, too, scanned the environment along with Khairi who constantly gave mental notes of his whereabouts. It was hard for the harpy child to see the vulture above, but she trusted him and would continue to be the one-person search party on the ground.  Her mind refraining from the worry of finding her brother’s remains along the bone white sands. The flames across her back dancing in a mixture of elephants and zebras in a show of her anxiety. They reared and raced upon her spine much like she did across the earth.

It was when Khairi flashed a picture of a creature pawing at the earth, that she almost got her hopes up. While it wasn’t her dearest brother, perhaps they had seen something! Kiada diverted her course, heading straight for the pegasus. As she crested above a little dune and headed straight for him, her speed began to slow. Sweat pricked along her shoulders and face as her oceanic gaze danced across the colt for a few seconds while she caught her breath. “Hello, I’m Kiada.” She began, shifting her weight and flicking her ebony tail against her hips as she tried to flash him a smile. Her sides heaved as she inhaled and exhaled, her eyes surveying the blue and bay pegasus as Khairi descended from the sky to land upon the earth beside Kiada. His talons digging into the earth as he returned his wings to their comfortable place across his back, his blood red eyes landing on the child. “I don’t suppose you’ve seen someone around here that looks a little bit like me, have you?” She asked while she tilted her ashen head, her white forelock falling away from her eyes.

"Talk."

img by Mar <3 || coding by Smitty <3

@Iskra

IT'S SAID SHE'S MADE OF STORM CELLS
AND A WILD WOLF'S HUNGRY HEART,
THAT SHE'S LEARNT THE LIGHTNING'S SECRET
TO RIPPING DARKENED SKIES APART.

Tiamat the Ocean's Light Posts: 360
Aurora Basin Lady atk: 8 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Nimue :: Common Orca Leviathan :: Boil Reli
the ocean loved her
and knew everything that made her
Considering how flat and unbroken the horizon is among these untroubled waters, voices travel across the distance easily. Even from her position closer to shore, Tiamat can hear the two children—her head rises in recognition, and a dainty ear quirks forward as her eyes search the pristine landscape. The two figures (shadowy and indistinct given the distance between them) aren’t difficult to distinguish among the otherwise immaculate waters, and so with an encouraging gesture for her companion to follow, the blue Mender leaps forward at a wide-sweeping trot. Nimue gives a low whistle before pursuing, soaring and twisting through the cold air as she plays in the wake of her bonded’s splashes.

It isn’t long before the foals’ features begin to become clear, and while the younger boy with electric wings is unfamiliar, the ocean mare identifies the spotted filly. Slowing as she approaches the two, Tiamat lowers her horned brow, smiling brightly to both of them before she turns her focus to the one gilded in flames. “Kiada is that you?” Her head tilts, the length of her lion tail sweeping across the water as she settles in between them. Nimue, less intimidated by these smaller people, lingers at the mare’s flank, her baby blues staring curiously between the two strangers.

“My how you have already grown! You’re as pretty as your mother,” Tiamat crows with delight, winking playfully at the filly. She isn’t sure how long it’s been since she’s seen Kiada last—or her mother—and while it saddens the Mender’s heart that they are no longer in the Basin, she doesn’t fault them for it.

Humming happily to herself, she brushes the filly’s forehead affectionately before her attention shifts to the boy. “And hello to you, young lad,” her grin comes easily, and she inclines her head while noticing the way he digs at the water. “My name is Tiamat—are you trying to find water? Are you thirsty?” Concern laces her questions, ever eager to offer aid to those she knows or not (besides, how could she not help him? He’s adorable!). “Here, let me help.”

There is a twinkle in her eye as she steps back. Reaching for her magic, Tiamat plucks a pocket of water from the halcyon sea, guiding it with this gifted muscle she has learned to hone. The orb hovers in the middle of the trio, churning gently in its own little current. The mare’s eyes never leave the watery pocket, all of her concentration consumed in feeling the water, and carefully separating it from the salt (which steadily spills back into the ocean in a slow, wet stream). It takes a moment, but eventually the Mender is able to smile, satisfied with the purification.

Guiding the orb (now smaller than it was initially) slowly towards the colt, she encourages him gently, “Go on, take a sip! You’ll find it isn’t salty.” At her side, Nimue huffs from her blowhole, spraying them all with a fine mist. Laughing to herself, Tiamat brushes her companion’s smooth head. “You look like you could use a drink too, darling,” she addresses Kiada, noticing the sweat that dampens the girl’s skin, despite the frigid weather. Concentrating again on the pocket of water, she divides it in two, leaving one for the boy while the other moves slowly towards Kiada. Grinning to each of them with her eyes shining, Tiamat waits, keen to see their reactions.

notes; Nimue reference
“Speech.”

Also tagging @Charks because I think Zero was interested in joining? :3
please tag Tia in all replies!
magic & force are permitted.

Iskra Posts: 79
Dragon's Throat Colt
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17 :: 1 year
Castiel :: Royal Humpback Leviathan :: Tidal Wave Blu

Well, the young boy wanted adventure and he got it.

His digging proved fruitless, the Frostfall chill having hardened the soil of the Flats substantially, even if there wasn't any snow. His small stature likely played a role as well, something he'd out grown in due time, but for now he was only in his second season and remained nothing but long, thin legs and downy fluff; a promise of greatness yet to be kept.

The approach of someone else distracted him from his thirst and his digging, Pausing with one hoof still raised above the ground, Iskra's head turned over his shoulder, ears flicking at the sound of her approach. For a second Iskra felt a thrill of fear seize him, abruptly conscious of how vulnerable and alone he was out here, with nowhere to run. Yet as the girl neared, Iskra realized it was just that, a girl. Putting his foot down and straightening up, subconsciously ruffling his feathers and puffing out his chest to look impressive, he greeted her with a lopsided grin. "Hi! I'm Iskra!"

She was older than him, but many seasons awaited her too, and this put him at ease. His gaze held hers warmly, always happy to meet new friends, though he noticed the darkening of her hide and the breathy way she spoke. What was she running from, he wondered absently, or perhaps running to something- but then surely she wouldn't have time to stop and chat? Or was she training, a warrior-to-be maybe? That was certainly less interesting than the fire on her back however, the shifting shapes and designs pulling Iskra's attention almost hypnotically.
His thoughts were dispersed as her companion descended though. Iskra's head lifted and leaned back somewhat at the near approach of the vulture. He was familiar enough with them in the Throat, but they were generally to be avoided, their hungry eyes sometimes lingering too long on fresh foals. Iskra's gaze was inevitably drawn to the strong talons and the curved beak the carnivorous bird bore; something he had a healthy respect for.

"W-what?" he asked, suddenly aware she'd asked him a question while he'd been inspecting the way the talons gripped the hard dirt- strong. Iskra shook his head, black mohawk flopping back and forth, while sparks of both fire and electric origin shivered off his wings, popping and fizzling harmlessly towards the dirt where they winked out of existence. "Uh no, I've never seen anyone like you!" he exclaimed as he re-settled himself, his gaze drifting past her eyes and lingering in quiet awe at the flames racing across her. His grin returned as a half-smile, full of apology that he didn't have a better answer. "Do you have a twin too? I have twin sisters," he asked and clarified, though didn't wait for a response as he was itching to ask about much more interesting things. "Hey doesn't that fire hurt?? Or does it burn others, or what does it do? And who is that, you've already got a companion!?" His words were tripping over his tongue, and bashfully he quieted, aware of his eager babble. Still, his eyes shone brightly, expectant.

A new voice joined them however, and as an ear flicked back to catch it, Iskra's head turned, one eye watching the blue mare and her whale appear. Her friendly greeting and familiarity with the filly allowed Iskra's calm to maintain uninterrupted, worries of rogue bandits or colt-eating-monsters petering away as good company joined him, even if they were both strangers. The new horse was a grown mare, and he lifted his head to look at her, thinking she was rather pretty. He grinned at her, his bottlebrush tail flicking casually against his rump. "Hi!" he returned in greeting as she turned her attention upon him. As she introduced herself he was leaning in to look past her and eye her interesting companion, but her question had him snap back into attention. "Oh um, yea," he nodded to accentuate his response, gulping afterwards, his throat dry, though he'd forgotten with all the excitement. As she offered to help he tilted his head quizzically, watching with a confused sort of anticipation. She was stronger, maybe she could break through the ground?

Instead his mouth popped open in amazement as she grabbed water from the ground, the salt spilling free as dry as the wind while the water floated right in front of him. At her insistence his stare flicked from the magic to her then back. As enthralled as he was, he was still cautious, all too aware of how strange drinks could affect you- he'd seen his mom after she drank from cactus after all. Still, adults were trustworthy, and he was thirsty, so Iskra leaned forward and... well he wasn't sure how to drink floating water so he kind of opened his mouth and tried to bite it, his tongue doing something amid it all too. About half of it got on his lips, but he was able to drink the refreshing water and slurped it down loudly.

"Ah!" he exclaimed, his throat relieved. "Thanks miss Tiamat!" he exclaimed, his voice high with enthusiasm. "I'm Iskra, by the way," he greeted, then ducked and broke out into raucous giggles as the whale's exhale sprayed against him. "Hey!" he laughed, then shook himself off. "Is that your companion?" he asked of Tiamat, gaze beholding the creature with admiration. "Isn't it a whale, how is it flying?" He'd seen some off the coast of his home, but though they jumped out of the sea sometimes, they never flew.

"Wow, today is so cool!" He should go out without mom more often!

Omg he wouldn't shut up.

@Kiada @Tiamat

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Kiada Posts: 181
World's Edge Nurse
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 2 years - Birdsong
Khairi :: Leucistic Lammergeier :: Paralyze Skylark
Kiada

Sweat beaded up and slid down her buckskin hide, her eyes were eager and hungry for information if Iskra were to have any. Yet upon her arrival he seemed to straighten himself out, feathers puffing and chest heaving in a proud display of height. The filly wanted to laugh, but instead she simply offered the boy a brilliantly white smile. As she watched Iskra, however, his attention seemed to slip past her and aim straight for Khairi as he perched himself proudly – imitating the colt, perhaps a big mockingly, as he ruffled his own feathers and puffed his chest out in a display of ‘yes, I’m also badass too’ as his raptor gaze landed on the boy. The flames from her spine danced and melded around him, illuminating him in the light they gave off.

Then, he seemed to remember she had asked him a question. “I’ve never seen anyone like you!” Her lips began to form a frown slightly, her gaze drifting from the boy as he began to speak once again with an apologetic tone and smile. Her frown lingered a bit more as she nodded in response to his question. “Yeah, I have a twin brother.” She admitted, returning her own darkened blue eyes to the colt made of electricity, slightly staring at the place where it had seemed to slide off and twinkle away in the earth. “He’s been missing for a whole season now, I’ve been trying to look for him.” She decided the extra information might help if he were to find her brother at some point.

Hey, doesn’t that fire hurt?” Oh, this question again. Her eyes lifted from the dusty earth to spot his own face marked with a brilliant color of gold that caused a small pang in her chest to start as it reminded her of her mother. Shoving that thought to the side the best she could, she shook her head. “No, it doesn’t hurt. It doesn’t hurt others either. It’s just there. The animals that show up on it show how I’m feeling, so it can be a pain sometimes.” Kiada shrugged her shoulders to him offering an apologetic smile. “Yes, this is Khairi! I found him when I was a month old, my brother and I found our companions together.” Her voice was calm but oddly happy as she craned her head to nuzzle Khairi slightly. His white wings spreading to keep balance as her inky head collided with his.

But then, a very familiar voice appeared behind her. Turning slightly, she looked to see the familiar blue mare that had taught her a few things of being a healer. Immediately a smile reached her pink splattered lips. “Miss Tia! Thank you. It’s been nice living with Father, I’ve learned a lot.” She noted, bright blue eyes searching the ocean mare and seeing her companion with a nod. The gentle touch of the mare’s velveteen muzzle on her forehead seemed soothing – and where Kiada usually refused her mother to do such things, it was rather nice to see the affection Tiamat gave.

Her attention was then on Iskra, then to the water the boy might have apparently been looking for. Her magic called water up from the earth, and Kiada found her eyes following it with envy of having useful magic. Though she made no direct note outside of her mind, simply just retaining the mask of happiness and excitement at this most strange reunion. The oceanic healer offered water to her, and while her sweat was beginning to dry, she nodded and obliged, sipping water from the strange orb, surprise lacing through her that it wasn’t salty at all. She trusted Tiamat, but it was something that she truly wasn’t sure of.

When all the antics died down, the boy seemed very curious of Tiamat’s companion. Khairi seemed to withdraw slightly into himself, his raptor gaze trailing between the whale and the boy while Kiada couldn’t help but to laugh at what Iskra had said. Yet, she felt as though there were some curiosities that she had about her former home, and with that in mind she turned her head to the oceanic mare. “How has the Basin been since we’ve left, Miss Tia? We still haven’t found Kianzo. He’s been missing since before the festival.” Another frown landed on her lips before turning her head to Iskra. “Wait, where are you from? I’m from the Edge, but I used to live in the Basin with Miss Tia!” She tilted her head, awaiting an answer.

"Talk."

img by Mar <3 || coding by Smitty <3

Tiny bit all over the place but amg, she couldn't stop either. xD @Tiamat

IT'S SAID SHE'S MADE OF STORM CELLS
AND A WILD WOLF'S HUNGRY HEART,
THAT SHE'S LEARNT THE LIGHTNING'S SECRET
TO RIPPING DARKENED SKIES APART.