the Rift

[OPEN] Yit'gadal v'yit'kadash sh'mei raba

Yael Posts: 186
World's Edge Seer atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 :: 39 - appears 8 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zani :: Serval :: None Astor
If one were to consider all the days of Yael’s life, these past several (a week, two? She’s lost track of time) would be on par for the strangest. Most painful. Having done something similar before, it is to be expected that the first bit of time in a new land is always the most disorienting. Without knowing her particular circumstances, it is easy to say the golden mare should be over it by now, yes? If she wants to be a productive member of society here, the foreigner should start trying to learn Something. Anything.

And yet, Yael finds herself somewhat paralyzed. Moving on, taking a position means staying. Staying means giving up. How can she give up on 36 years of life? Who’s to say what the time limit on grief is? Who would dare to tell a widow, and a woman who’s lost everything, just how quickly she should get over everything? The fear of condemnation, of sideways glances, is very real. Unfounded, perhaps, but a strong sense of shame and propriety was instilled in her at a very young age. So Yael venture out of the Edge, and finds herself in a place she hasn’t crossed before, though the name of such a place is unknown.  

The silence and the break from winter’s winds comfort a perpetually engaged (worrying, grieving, chiding) mind. Innocently, without trepidation or cause for concern, the gold and black-tipped mare comes to the northeastern edge of the frozen pool. Bringing the full weight of her body down upon the ice’s edge, Yael’s hooves break through the crust with a resounding crack, the sudden sharp sound sending birds flying from still-green boughs. She grimaces, but lowers her head to drink the freezing water, snorting softly at its chilly bite.  

yael
by night, tie your heart to mine, and the two
together in sleep shall defeat the darkness

horse lines | wing lines | coloring & coding

@Najya
Sorry for the delay!

Please only tag in starter posts, or if the thread is getting dusty
Force and magic allowed, no death please

Serenity Posts: 78
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 7 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Avis
I need Serenity
The grove offered her a sort of comfort that the labyrinth couldn't; both had the safety and security she sought, yet the forest around the hidden grove called to her more loudly and held her tight. The openness of lake attempted to wrap its arms around her and give her space for flight should she seek it; and though the winter winds still bit down upon her starry coat she oft headed the call and spread her wings wide above the water. The navy and gold coloring offered a grave contrast to the winter's hold over the grove; any lingering by would see her form clearly.

Yet, for once, she didn't try hiding herself from the sight of others.
She tried to be unafraid.

A leaf on the wind.

The words floated to a clear mind and a small smile parted her lips, her body wavering between the hanging foliage. She thought little of being on her own, save for the danger solitude put her in around the horned. She had had enough encounters though so far, she thought, that she was relatively okay being by herself. She had yet to cross paths with any truly evil unicorns, and the fact gave her a bit more confidence. Her strong wings brushed aside the overlaying underbrush, greens shining up at her as the turn of spring was upon them. The water was still frozen over and she often found herself staring out at the solid expanse. As she neared the edge of what should have been crystal liquid, she noticed another pegasus like her breaking through the ice. Initially Serenity worried that the girl would try to swim in the icy waters, but upon her merely taking sips from the frigid liquid the starry mare moved closer.

"Is it not too chilled to be drinking from?" Her voice carried over the distance separating them; she could not convince herself to drink from such cold waters. Her concern was clear, her once-desired-healer instincts rising. "I could show you much more moderate sources to take in." Her head tilted slightly, trying to recall the paths back to the meadow. Surely the water there had thawed enough to be liquid once again. "I am Serenity." Words soft, she stood happily in her place gazing upon the one of her species, pleased for once to be in the company of another that didn't bear horns.
CREDITS

eeep hope it's okay i hopped in c:
@yael

STARS FADING BUT I LINGER ON DEAR
STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS
(Please tag me in every post)

It will always baffle the petite, gilded pegasus when she finds someone who thinks they need to be brave in her presence; that she, who used to smell of sand and sweat and spices, who adored children, and would rather talk to butterflies than seek out an argument, might be dangerous. One might even call her foolish, for being so trusting - but old habits die hard, and there was a time with she feared nary a soul. Come to think of it… perhaps at that point, it was right for others to tread cautiously around her - but those are bygone days, and she is no longer the mare she used to be.

The water numbs her lips, biting and clawing its way down her throat, but oh, the bite does seem to bring life back into her flesh. Funny both cold and heat can do that to someone. Warmth might put her to sleep, a victim of insomniatic and worrisome nights, while the chill works better than a jolt of caffeine to the heart. Hoofsteps crunch behind her, and Yael raises her head, water dripping from her lips and beading into tiny bits of ice on her whiskers. Long ears swivel to catch the beautiful pegasus’ question (for truly, the starry-skinned mare is a wonder to behold, and Yael is struck by the thought that if she looked long enough, she might get lost in the pinpricks of light forever), shrugging in response. “Eet bites een a vay t’at vakes you up, t’at makes you t’ink of life.” And then a soft chuckle, “But i vould razer die t’an take a bat een eet!”

Her lips pull into a wide, genuine smile, welcoming the mare into her company, if that was what she sought.Shalom, Serenitee. I ahm Yael.” Her mouth rounds and her tongue dances over the foreign word - and if it wasn’t clear that she was an outsider before, it is now. “Oh? I vould not mind a valk at all.” Her wings open and she dips her head as if to indicate that Serenity should lead the way. Yael is more than happy to have a tour guide.

Being alone is... well, lonely sometimes.

yael

Image | Background

@Serenity  Not at all! Im so glad someone came along and picked up the thread :)

Serenity Posts: 78
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 7 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Avis
I need Serenity
There were few times she felt such comfort as she did then, nearly basking in the other's company with a light haze that settled itself around her. The other with the same golden coloring as herself gave her a sense of calm she couldn't quite explain, but she enjoyed the mere proximity of being around her. There were few and far in between that she trusted, though she wished desperately that it could change for her. She didn't want to believe that others were innately bad, but her past had ingrained the dangers of unicorns quite solidly in her heart. She could do nothing but think of them as a species to avoid all together.

Yet since her amnesia, she wasn't sure who she really was any more. There was a shadow over her, the haze of something she knew was supposed to be there but wasn't. She had no recollection, save for her childhood that she believed would always be remembered. So it was without purpose or aim that she moved about the borders of Helovia, the land where she had once both found and lost herself.

The other girl's words were quiet confusing for her, the letters tying themselves up into each other in a language she was unfamiliar with. Well--language was a bit of a stretch, but Serenity could tell she was from some far-off place with an accent that thick. It intrigued her, really, for though she had met few since her time there, there were certainly none as distinct as the one in front of her. At her statement, Serenity's lips pulled into a smile and she gazed curiously at her. She watched as the woman accepted her offer, wings opening wide to allow her to lead the way. The dual-colored mare bowed her head in both agreement and as a form of formalities, before winding her way through the forest boughs. "We should be heading East, I believe." If her sense of direction led them correctly, the Meadows would be that way. She hoped desperately that she wouldn't lead her newest companion astray.

After a few minutes of pushing through the thickest part of the wooded area, she fell back alongside Yael and walked easily. "Have you been by yourself for long?" She placed the inquiry out gently, not wanting to seem rude by digging into it. She wondered how long she had been in the area, in Helovia, if she had seen things Serenity had yet to discover.
CREDITS

STARS FADING BUT I LINGER ON DEAR
STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS
(Please tag me in every post)

yael

If Yael had known how she settled Serenity’s nerves and put her at ease, she might have glowed with a sense of pride unfelt for several months. Back home, she’d had that sort of effect on others; calm, graceful, and empathetic, she was always one to welcome the misfits, the broken, and the hurt with open wings and a kind smile. That didn’t change simply because she switched environments. Love is love is love is love, and Yael seems to have an endless supply of it. Right now the tap line is a little clogged, but give her a little bit more time and she’ll be spouting positive emotions left and right again. The mother nobody wanted, but everyone is going to get. The Pollyanna of Xelovia.

Gray clouds obscure the sun, so it makes sense that the star-skinned woman might be a little hesitant at which way to go. Yael doesn’t know either, but should they be heading in the wrong direction, she would be fine with that too. Pleasant company is pleasant company. A chilly wind rises, causing her to pull her black-tipped feathers closer. At times like this, her gold wing band tends to get a bit chilly, and Yael really has half a mind to take it off for the rest of winter. But it was a gift from the Turtle, so she will not complain (too much). Her mane lifts off her neck, revealing a usually well-hidden dragon claw, long and sharp, resting against the slender curve of her neck. Yael’s attention, however, is not on the secrets she is inadvertently revealing, but on her newfound companion.

Through the trees they go, one aurelian form right after the other. And when there is space to walk alongside each other again, Serenity asks her a question. She cannot answer immediately, caught on the word alone. Oh, Yael knows what the woman means, but the simple fact that she says it takes her breath away on some small scale. “Ahhhh… I xaf been xere seence ze beginning of Vinter. A very nice ladee from ze Edge found me in ze T’reshxold and offered sanctuary, so for now, I am t’ere.” She pauses, and fixes the mare with a solemn gaze. “Xow deed you know I vas alone?” Is it written on her face, in the way she cracked the ice with such determination?

And then eager to get the attention off herself, Yael asks her own question back. Gently. Kindly. “And you? Xow long xaf you been xere? I xaf not seen you before… ahr you part of anozer xerd?”

trust your heart if the seas catch fire

live by love, though the stars walk backwards

Image © littlewillow-art

@Serenity - sorry it took so long!