the Rift

[PRIVATE] i hear words in clips and phrases

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
Ranjiri
It was my first time leaving the Falls and Letha since she'd been born, but I was comfortable leaving her with Dragomir to watch over her. He might have been awkward at times, but I trusted him with my life and the life of my child. He would make sure that she was safe and warm until I returned to feed her, and while I would have loved to have stayed tucked away all day I had other things on my mind. It had been a while since I'd seen Cathun and I thought about searchihg for him to make sure he was still taking his quest seriously, especially since he'd entertwined my life with his. At the time I hadn't been too worried about it, but since then I'd become a Czarina and a mother. I couldn't afford for him to not take his quest seriously and kill me in the process.

Then there was Ros. I couldn't even remember the last time that I'd seen her and I hoped that I'd stumble upon her while wandering around because that seemed the only time I ever found her. I was never really successful when I looked for her.

And Mara had an insatiable urge to roam and explore, and I wasn't very keen on exploring with a foal in tow. At least with Mara if anything threatened us I could grab her and take to the skies. Letha was too big for me to carry and too young to fly -- it would be some time before her flight feathers finally grew in.

Being bonded to Mara was still very strange to me. I could feel her excitement over the smallest things -- I discovered rather quickly that she liked shiny objects and if given the chance would snatch them away and try to hide them. More than once I'd caught her trying to take the tailring that Ros had given me. When she was caught she would make this noise, something between a chirp and a trill, and she would run off and hide and wait for her next chance to steal whatever had caught her attention.

Now, however, she wasn't so much interested in shiny things as she was meaty things. She bounded ahead of me, her snow white fur making her blend in almost perfectly with the snow. I found that she liked to change her forms multiple times a day -- the first time she'd done it had left me shocked and I would have been confused if I hadn't already meat Chico once before. I knew right away when she heard something beneath the snow because she crouched down then leapt into the air and dove head first into the snow. Her butt wriggled, her tail flicking from side to side as she tried to dig herself deeper into the snow and then she was stuck. I couldn't help myself - I laughed as I walked over to where she was stuck. I grasped her by the tail and pulled her out and once she was free she was off again to a, hopefully, more successful hunt.

"."

Image Credit

@Roskuld

aud pixel!

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers
Roskuld & Zchiraxicon
Where there's no Law tying my heart from the start..

I guess there was a modicum of “getting my shit together” when you consider how often I didn’t come back here anymore. This used to be my base of non-operation, but other than that weird time with the red lightning (which I HAD to be there for, c’mon) I hadn’t even thought about coming back here.

Why was I here now? Because I had thangs on my mind, the kind of thangs that made my hooves move and my mind whirl with the slightest crack of a headache, even if they weren’t strong enough to give me nightmares anymore. I guess that was a part of growing up--things stopped being scary and just became tedious instead. I wasn’t scared of Kisamoa and every unknown he represented--he was just a thing I had to deal with. All the shit with Kis (the tall brown one) wasn’t something I wanted to shy away from; it was just a baggage of shit that I had to sit down and sort through one day. The whole shebang with the warriors of the Edge, and what was gonna happen with them, and me--it was just a thing that needed to be handled, and here I was, pacing a familiar place with unfamiliar snow, trying to work my teeth around a dilemma.

Snow, snow everywhere. The world was being cocooned in it.

Chico soared in the crisp white sky, his heavy wings beating through the thin winter air. I told him spring was the time I was gonna finally learn to fly and fulfil a promise I’d made sometime ago. And he waited like a champ, but that didn’t stop him from trying to give me a taste. Like...he liked flying, but now he was just rubbing that shit in, y’know; doing all kinds of corkscrews and loop-de-loops, showcasing just how how agile his huge lion’s body could be despite his muscle. How he was sexy on the wing as much as he was on the ground. I mean...good grief, I mostly ignored it and continued to chew on my shit, even as Chico kept showing off for my benefit--or maybe it was his benefit cuz, well, flying was fun. 

I did notice when he suddenly dropped from the sky. I cocked an ear, curious, wondering what had caught his eye; he had dove for the ground for a black shape he found familiar only through my memories, because the last time he met her he had gotten pulled in a scrap and that’s not the best time to make first impressions or remember someone’s face. He wasn’t nervous though; with a few heavy flaps of his wings, he alighted on the snow not too far away from her, looking at her with these large amber eyes and a panting toothy grin that surged with energy.

He didn’t show me who he had found. “Chico, what…?” I called out, because he clearly wanted me to come and see for myself. And I trotted for where he told me to go, and I did see who it was, and I lost it just as he predicted I might.

JIJI?! I bellowed, before I could get a grasp on myself; I leapt through the space between us, intending to barrel into her because holy fuck, there were a lot of feelings that were gonna surge up but the most powerful was nothing but a violent sunlit burst of

Jiji.

"talk"

image credits

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

the GoldenShade

Mara had only run a few steps ahead of me after I freed her from the snow when something dove down from the sky and landed in front of us. I could feel her panic through our bond -- something I was still trying to get used to -- and she backpedaled, only stopping when her hind in collided with my foreleg. My ears fell back and I frowned because I'd never seen anything that looked like the thing that was standing in front of us, and yet I was baffled by the sense of familiarity I had ... like I'd seen it before.

Maybe it was those amber eyes. They seemed the most familiar and not at all threatening... it almost looked like it was grinning.

"JIJI?!"

Then I heard her voice calling my name and I felt a hundred different things all at once. Surprise. Happiness. Relief. Sadness. Annoyance. Surprise. Happiness. Relief. Annoyance... The emotions cycled over and over and over again because I didn't know what to settle on. 

"Ros--agh!" I couldn't even finish saying her name because she was suddenly ramming into my side and I was stumblings sideways, scrambling to try and keep my balance. At that moment Mara burst into action. Her small white body was engulfed in shadow and in a split second she'd changed from a fox to a bird and was in the air, flapping her wings at Roskuld's face and screeching.

"Mara, stop!" I shouted once I'd regained my balance and noticed what she was doing. "Mara!" When I shouted her name the second time she finally flew to me and landed on my back and I sighed. She, however, leaned to the side and glared at Roskuld as if to say I'm watching you, even though she definitely wasn't scary. I wouldn't tell her that, though.

"Ros..." My attention finally returned to my best friend and I didn't know what to say. We always went way too long between seeing one another and everything was always so different when we finally reunited. "I missed you."

"."

image | coding

@Roskuld

aud pixel!

Letha Posts: 8
Absent Abyss
Filly :: Hybrid :: 17hh ::
Makai :: Black Panther :: None Time

Letha

Where will I find peace other than in oblivion?

Letha had every intention of staying with Dragomir as she was told, but when the stallion was distracted and her stomach rolled in hunger, she could not help but try to follow her mother. Trudging in the snow after her with an aching head was not the type of thing a foal would like to normally do, but hunger and the desire for comfort drove the little girl to follow her mother's hoofprints on her new, spindly legs.

By the time Letha finally crested a hill and caught a glimpse of her golden and black solace, she was exhausted. Her delicate body shook with a mix of pain, exitement, and cold. Even though everything in her screamed for her to lay down there and call out for Ranjiri, her heart told her to press on. Pinning her smarting ears down into her tufted mane, Letha trotted toward the Goldenshade. Lifting her chin the tiny, leggy girl trumpeted a bleat toward her mother. It was filled with the twist of foal-like anguish: come here Mother, I am cold and hungry and everything hurts.

The girl did not wait for permission, and when she finally closed the distance between her and her mother she nestled her head between her legs and began to feed. Her ocean eyes did not even register the stranger before her that her mother seemed to know. As she took her fill, with tiny wings twitching in pleasure, Letha finally took a step back. Her shoulders still shook with cold and aching, but her belly was full and she felt some sort of satisfaction. Letha rubbed her ears against Ranjiri's hind leg, trying to relay the pain she felt within her for her mother to understand, perhaps even feel.

Snorting, Letha took another step back and shook her head, her ocean eyes finally catching a glimpse of the stranger. She was instantly startled, and she jumped to the side, slowly peering out from around her golden lifegiver.

image credits

@Ranjiri @Roskuld

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers
Lightning strikes every time she moves
So of course, like a good companion, Chico’s first instinct upon my being fucking assaulted by a glob of shadow whatever-the-hell, was the laugh toothily at me. T’ha, get wrecked, he trilled in my head, rolling onto his back on the ground and growl/roar/laughing with his legs in the air as the thing did its duty and tried to eat my face.

It didn’t last long--but I was still left sputtering and spitting and blinded, screaming all sorts of PTEGH and AGHGH and WHAT THE SHITs. It was only from the words of a golden (older?) voice that made it stop, and I watched (with blurry eyes at the moment) as it zoomed onto Jiji’s shoulder, cementing its place in the world, in my head and heart. Chico made no move to roll onto his feet, so his stomach and balls would be in a much more appropriate position, but his eyes followed the thing’s movement as it perched, a mischievous interest boiling in his head.

None of that interest has anything to do with a counterattack, does it? I asked with irritation, wiping the attack off my face. Chico licked a paw. Ain’t attack me, shit, he reasoned. Fair enough. I sighed and looked at the bird on Jiij’s shoulder, and then at Jiji herself, and there was a thing growing in my breast (like always) that threatened to burst when she said I missed you.

I melted on the spot. “I…” I began, interrupted cleanly by the tiniest voice imaginable. This time Chico turned over onto his legs, alerted by the presence of the smallest piece of shit he’d seen in some time. He was instantly enchanted by the tiny filly, as it stumbled its way to Jiji’s side to drink from Mama. There was a lot more going on in his head anyway, because I was totally fucking blank, numb from the tally mark in my head being made. First it was Mesec. Now it was Jiji.

“I…” I said again, even though I knew good and hell well I didn’t have the faintest idea on what to say. Chico sprung into action, his eye catching the miniscule shiver running down the small shoulder; he zpSNK!ed and he was fluffy and cute and smiling with his liquid black eyes, trundling forward unhesitatingly for the skittish filly. He reached for her with his fat snout, with his stubby paw, offering warmth! and fluff! if only she would reach for it. A peace offering.

My eyes trailed from the filly behind her (her daughter) to the creature perched on her shoulder (her companion), and the only thing I could possibly say was the obvious truth. “I..uh, guess I got a lot to catch up on,” I said in a weak, breathless voice.

"In ornare vitae leo eu volutpat."
" I like it when you call me Big Poppa."
Chico
and Roskuld

@Ranjiri
@Letha

I'M THE ABSOLUTE WORST

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

the GoldenShade
"I..." But my words were cut short and my thoughts were interrupted when I heard the shrill bleat that I knew to be Letha's. I turned, my face completely shocked when I saw her hurrying toward me because I had told her to stay put and I had told Dragomir to watch her.  How long had she been following me without me realizing it? The answer was pretty obvious -- long enough for her to work up a voracious hunger that left me feeling terribly guilty. I dipped my head and ran my muzzle along her tiny back.

It wasn't until Letha had drank her fill and was rubbing her head on my leg that I finally looked back at Ros. She looked totally baffled and I couldn't blame her. The last time we'd seen each other had been right after my father had died. We were both skinny and childlike and here we are now ... completely grown up. "Yeah." I murmured when she said that we had some catching up to do. "We do." Because in the time that had passed I had fallen in love, had a child, suffered another loss, had my child, been bonded, and become a leader. It was a whirlwind of so many things that it was breathtaking.

I watched Chico as he made his way over to my daughter, but I wasn't scared that he would try to hurt her. Just as I trusted Ros, I trusted him. His sudden change into something soft and fuzzy and fluffy and obviously warm was welcomed and I hoped that it would help to chase away the chill that made Letha shiver. Not one to be outdone, Mara was enveloped in a whirl of shadow, that left her a short, fat, and fuzzy feline. She leapt from my back and went to provide Letha with warmth as well.

"Her name is Letha." I said as I looked back to Roskuld. "Her father died before she was born." My voice had dropped in volume so Letha wouldn't hear me -- I had no idea about the infection in her ears. "Something in the forest..." That I didn't want to talk about, so I changed the subject. "And that's Mara. I uh ... I'm sorry that she attacked your face."

"."

image | coding

@Roskuld
@Letha

aud pixel!