the Rift

[OPEN] they are lost and gone forever, oh my darling clementine

Yael Posts: 186
World's Edge Seer atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2 :: 39 - appears 8 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zani :: Serval :: None Astor
like a jar, you housed infinite tenderness
and infinite tenderness shattered you
The temperature is falling rapidly, but the clouds seem to have fled far, far away, leaving the heavens open and dazzling. Radiant. The milky way streaks across the outer edge of the sky, leaving darkness and light and the imagination of other worlds in its wake. Space - whatever is out there - seems to call to Yael and wake her from a restless sleep. Her eyes open to a star-filled sky; she’s had a similar unhindered view in the Desert, but the constellations here are altogether unrecognizable.

This recognition strikes her as odd at first. Perhaps it is her sleep-addled mind? No… no, it can’t be just that. Yael jerks her head up from its pillow of pine needles - all of a sudden, she is wide awake. Her heart begins to pound, much like it did upon her arrival, and despite the cold she begins to sweat and tremble. While her makeshift bed looks up to the open sky, Yael seeks the vast expanse of the cliffs that Lyanna showed her. Hauling herself to her hooves, she takes off in a western direction, weaving through the dark night and dense trees as quickly as she can.

It’s a foolish and treacherous drive. The little golden mare stumbles multiple times, unsure of her footing and somewhat lost. Once, she falls to her knees and scrapes them on a jutting stone, but plows on into the night, trying to remember in which direction the sun set, and traveling away from it. Eventually, she does find the outer limits of the cliffs and exhales with relief, her breath coming in visible puffs in the night air. And oh, how raggedy she must look. Twigs and leaves caught in her wings, skinned knees, trembling with both cold and anxiety.

Their names are on her lips as she scans the sky frantically, searching the dots for some pattern that jogs her memory. It isn’t there! This is not the same sky she’d lain under with her lover, not the same sky she’d taught to her children. Oh G-d, Oh Adonai! Her breath catches in her throat again, and fresh tears spring from her eyes, as hopelessness sinks back in. It’s true, it’s all true. Her worst fears have been realized. That little nagging voice in the back of her head was right! They are lost and gone forever, this is not the world she knows.

Alone, on the edge of the cliff, Yael sobs her heart out. The winds whip around her and though her skin grows cold, she seems impervious (she is not). The names of her beloved children tumble out repeatedly, as if repeating them could cross whatever magic bridge she’d travelled and bring her back to her most precious gaggle.

“Mixael… Etro… Munroe… Gaza… Keetra...“

The names go on and on as she pulls up each child from memory, and then their children. She could not (would not) ever forget them.

lines | coloring | coding

@Rexanna
and anyone else who wants to join!

Please only tag in starter posts, or if the thread is getting dusty
Force and magic allowed, no death please

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
Rexanna

It had been another difficult night to try and sleep. Her pregnancy made it difficult to get a full night’s rest with Frostfall’s chill settling in deep into her joints and spider webbing through her bones. Tembovu had another long night away from home, it seemed. As she woke she hadn’t managed to spot him around their sleeping area. A soft sigh slipped through her lips, wondering when she was ever going to get the chance to tell him the wonderful news while she was still hardly showing. It would prove to be more and more difficult the longer he stayed away from her.

She began to wonder if she’d done something wrong. The aurelian siren was having an even more difficult time managing her emotions while in this state. It only seemed to prove worse the longer she stayed away from speaking to people all together. In an effort to try and relieve her mind, she slipped through the mouth of the cave. “Where go?” Came the exhausted question from her companion – a beautiful little marbled polecat as he remained curled up in his little nest. “I’m going for a walk.” She returned to him, her head swinging back as her oceanic eyes sought those of the little creature.

She should have known that Marembo wouldn’t leave her alone for long. All she felt was a slight sigh on his end of the bond before she felt the familiar tug on the tresses on her tail from the little beast. Lowering her head to him, he ran around toward her head and grabbed onto her gilded horn with his tiny hands to pull himself up. Stepping gingerly across her neck, he settled in the crook of her withers, little hands comfortably gripping onto the golden chains that adorned the pale maiden’s body. “Let’s go for walk.” He mentioned in a not so groggy tone. Rexanna smiled to that, and began to set off, making sure her daughter Kiada was sound asleep in her cave.

As she approached the cliffs as she always had, a sound caught her by surprise. The sound had a heavy feeling of sadness – were those cries? Immediately, the gilded mare wondered if something was wrong. Her pace picked up, despite her knees protesting, when finally a golden pegasus came into view. She didn’t seem familiar, as Rexanna tried to filter through the faces she knew and at least recognized somewhat. Yet, she still found a frown and a small amount of attachment toward the mare. She approached slowly, head held high as her dual toned tail flicked nervously against her hocks. “Is everything okay? Are you hurt?” She questioned softly against the wind of the cliffs. She wasn’t a healer, but she knew where Tilney slept. She’d be able to get him if she needed help. Or, if she simply just needed someone to talk to, Rexanna was always capable of lending an ear to those in need.

"Talk."

@Yael
I'm so excited :D
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

For a woman who once prided herself on being the bedrock of a kingdom, she is now just the fucking neediest little thing you ever did see. She was a quiet pillar of strength - a soft shoulder to cry on, a pep talk and a wing to wipe away the tears, the perfect goddamn picture of Queenly duties, and just look what she is reduced to. Dramatic hysterics in the middle of a wintry night. Freezing herself to feel something, anything other than crushing loneliness and despair.

The angsty nineties/early aughts called - Evanescence wants their emo lyrics back.

Are you hurt? a stranger asks, even though Yael tried so very hard to ignore her approach (though with the wind, it wasn’t until the last couple of steps that her preoccupied mind registered that there was someone behind her). Oh Adonia, how she almost laughs! Is it not obvious? Well, perhaps it is not, but who the heck goes to stand at the edge of a cliff in this weather just for funsies? Yael’s emotions are all over the place (perhaps this stranger can relate to that) and as soon as the thought to laugh passes through, the mare’s kindness washes over her and she half-chokes on a sob. She asks the same thing Lyanna did. As if there were someone readily available who could cure her of her ills - what, do they have an empath? The irony in that question is not lost on her.

Once, she could have taken care of herself.
Now, she must rely on others and their kindness, and Yael knows all too well how cruel the world can be. The little foreign mare might as well be doomed.

“Eet feels as eef my xeart and soul xaf been reepped out of my chest ahnd carved eento confetti, t’en xurled to ze rocks below.  I cahnt breate. I cahn’t t’ink. Ahnd yet I do, but I -” how does she finish this? With an ’but I don’t vant to?’ Is that the truth? Is she here, tonight, because she ultimately wants to throw herself off this cliff and join her beloved dragon?

Would her body (those damned wings she so adores) even let her do that?

Yael remains out on the ledge, but seems to shrink a little, the enormity of her pain eroded away bit by bit in the words she finally says out loud.

@Rexanna
Ahhh me too!

Rexanna

Perhaps the concern was laced far too strongly against her pale brow. It was quiet, aside from the wind howling and the chill as it crept up her spine. Marembo’s blue gaze landed directly on the woman who stood precariously on the ledge of the sharp cliffs. At first, he wasn’t too worried. She did have wings after all, but with a mental nudge from his bonded he had to admit that it was sad, and that his bonded wouldn’t allow such a thing to occur on any given night or day. He remained still against her withers as Rexanna stepped a bit closer, still allowing the gilded pegasus her space. And she listened, diligently, as the mare spoke with an accent that seemed so foreign and yet beautiful all the same.

But I –” A small frown formed its way on Rexanna’s pale lips. She nodded along, aware that the woman couldn’t see her do such a thing, but still it was the effort that was noted. “Pain is one of the worst things someone can experience.” She began, her voice soft and as soothing as possible – pressing into her maternal instinct from the pregnancy that bloated her sides. “I know saying things like ‘it’ll be okay’ doesn’t help. So I’m not going to say them. But I will tell you that life has a funny way of making everyone it’s pawn for heartbreak.” She admitted to her, hoping that the line of heartbreak she, herself, had felt would be over now.

With her words, she took one more step closer, feeling the wind as it raced against the faces of the cliffs, brushing up and pushing her dual toned mane into the air, the chains following suit. “But there’s others that have experienced such hard times. And that’s where friendship is found. I have suffered loss and heartbreak, and I will be your friend, if you just step back and talk with me for a bit?” She questioned, cocking her head to the side, ever hopeful despite the chill that racked her spine.

"Talk."

@Yael <3

The angry part of her would spit the words back at this kind creature who braves the winds at the edge of the world. She would ask what this woman could possibly have lost that compares to having twelve pieces of her heart, sun and stars, and magic cleaved suddenly from her life. The fact that Yael hasn’t dissolved into a puddle of useless gold goop is a some small miracle in and of itself, but perhaps that speaks to a strength the little foreigner does not know she has.  

Though the mare’s words are faint, they reach Yael’s ears clearly. Wind gnaws at the golden’s skin and it seems as if there might actually be a chink in her armor of emotions. Friend. The word is far sharper than any of Aeolus' barbed gusts. She shudders violently, suddenly very much aware of how precarious her position must seem, and how goddamn fucking cold it is out there. With a numb nod of assent, her legs remember how to move, and Yael backs slowly towards the pair. Gilded feathers press tightly against a thin coat, which is pulled taut over ribs. It’s no surprise that she hasn’t eaten much. Grief is either the best diet, or the best excuse to get comfy sweats. The only problem is that Yael hadn't much to lose to begin with.

When the black-spotted pegasus finally has enough room to turn and face the mare and - oh - weasely looking thing? - she is more than a little worse for the wear. Whatever long eyeslashes that once protected such warm and loving cinnamon colored eyes are crusted in frost. Tear track marks fall down her cheeks, while wind and snot and whatever else is out there has rubbed her nose and lips raw.

And still, when Yael’s sluggish gaze finds the white and gold unicorn’s swelling sides, she is wracked with guilt. Stupid. Stupid stupid stupid. “You should be sleeping ahnd varm… eef somet’ing xappens to your child becahse of me…” Tch! She makes a half scolding, half dismayed sound in the back of her throat. But that is all she can manage before her teeth start to rattle against each other like sheepknuckle bones in an diviner’s bowl.

@Rexanna

Rexanna

Wasn’t the gilded woman so lucky that the pegasus didn’t turn and scream at her? She waited with baited breath, oceanic eyes glued to the gold woman with a fondness for her. They were similar in more ways than one, both on the inside and on the outside – except where the pegasus was gilded entirely  aside from the dark patches that dotted her wings, Rexanna simply wore a blanket of gold upon her pale back. The only noticeable markings were that of the mascara markings that dripped down her face and crawled up her cheekbones, and that horribly marred “C” marking that was etched into her flesh so many seasons ago.

Finally, as Rexanna studied the woman, she stepped back from the ledge without saying as much as a word. She finally stepped back far enough to turn and view the Aurelian siren as her eyes fluttered across the mare to see if she was okay in her physical body. Though Rexanna stayed quiet, Marembo squeaked a hello as he felt the woman’s gaze land on him, and sympathy raced its way through Rexanna’s body as she noticed the tear streaks and mess the woman seemed to have found herself in.

You should be sleeping…” Rexanna allowed the woman to finish speaking before answering back. A brisk walk on tonight’s chilly night wasn’t going to hurt her. She had lived in the Basin through multiple pregnancies to know what she could handle and what she couldn’t. So she offered the mare a warm smile and a small dip of her jeweled crown. “Oh, don’t worry. I’m fine. I’m more worried about you!” She admitted, offering another small sympathetic smile. “Why don’t you come back to my home and we can get warm and cleaned up? There’s plenty of space.” She questioned with a tilt of her head, stepping back to see if the woman would want to follow. Tembovu was off on his own duties for the night, and it left plenty of space in the little cave Rexanna had found for the two of them. Surely the King wouldn’t mind, knowing that the ex-thief had managed to help a herd mate in a dire time of need.

"Talk."

@Yael <3 if you'd like for Yael to take Rex up on her offer, you can PP Rex leading Yael toward the cave! :D

The weasely looking thing squeaks at her, and though the tiny thing isn’t frightening, it is nonetheless surprising, and Yael flinches. Twitches? Just a tad. Because she’s never encountered a companion before, and has no idea why it seems so empathetic. She offers the thing a wan grin over chattering teeth and then turns her attention back to Rexanna.

“Okay,” she practically whispers and, like the child growing in the gold and white mare’s womb, allows herself to be led towards wherever ‘home’ is. For the most part, she remains quiet, filtering through the emotions that come sweeping along in waves and watching the ground for safety. Really, the Akhal pegasus is much more suited to sand than snow, if it wasn’t already obvious by her perpetual shivers. Once, she calls out to the pair ahead of her and asks a question, her voice tinkling with unusual tones. “Vhat ees your name?” And if she is asked the same in return, answers with her own. “Yael.” Yah-el, but smoother. Ibex. Mountain goat. Rugged little survivor. And ain’t that the truth, minus the rugged part. Under the sun and without all the tears and snot, she’s really quite fetching.

Eventually (she has no real sense of time at the moment - the trek could be long or short and it might all seem the same), the trio arrive at the cave. Perhaps it is relief, or exhaustion, or simply a continuation of whatever besieged her out on the ledge, but as Yael looks at the cave, and then back to Rexanna, her eyes begin to whelm with tears of gratitude. “Toda… t’ank you. I ahm sorry to keep crying -” one of her wingtips comes forward to try and brush the offending liquid away. “But your kindness ees overvelming… “ And that’s all she could muster. For now.  

Internally, Yael made a promise to herself and to this lovely woman. She would be forever in Rexanna's debt.

@Rexanna I hope that's ok! Let me know if it's not, and I'll change it :)

Rexanna

Okay.” And after a few quiet moments, allow Rexanna to lead her to the beautiful cave the ex-Thief had made for her family. On their journey, Yael asks a question and Rexanna’s head swings around to better hear her – ears pointing in the direction of the sound. Slowing down some, she waited until she was beside Yael before answering. “My name is Rexanna. My companion here is named Marembo.” She answered swiftly, nudging her nose toward the polecat that seemed pleasantly happy to have company for once. “And your name?” A small tilt of her head for formality, but it wasn’t long until Yael replied her own name. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Yael.” She offered the gilded pegasus another gentle smile.

It hadn’t taken long for them to arrive at the cave. A simple hole in the rock type of look to it. Many years or so of stone accumulating on top of stone, compressing it into some type of deepened hole with a beautiful view of the cliffs on the edge. Adorning the top, a large tree grew and span its roots around the opening, allowing for more view of the little miniature caves on the sides of the wall as they reached out from the center. Rexanna always paused in her step to take it all in, until she turned to look at Yael who had just turned to look at herself and tears return to the brim once more.

She began to thank her and apologize and all Rexanna wanted to do was hug the poor woman. Instead, she gestured to the inside of the cave, where the light from the outside world was just enough to illuminate the large area. Inside, little beds were made for two companions and Marembo, thankful to have his bed back, hopped down from Rexanna’s withers and headed straight to his little nest, his blue eyes never leaving the two before him. Rexanna then turned to Yael and smiled softly. “A little kindness goes a long way. You just never know when you’ll need it the most.” She admitted. Then, turning her head away from the gilded woman, she pulled over a few dry branches from orangemoon to make another little place for Yael to stay and warm up with – or even to clear the wetness that adorned her face from her tears before settling down.

Are you new to Helovia?” Her head tilted slightly with the question, her black markings that adorned her face were stark in contrast to her questioning and bright blue eyes. “I’ve only been here three years now.” She gave the information easily, unsure of what else to say unless Yael had questions.

"Talk."

@Yael it was perfect <3

Rexanna. Marembo. Companion? Slight confusion writes itself across her face as Yael attempts to figure out what Rexanna means by companion. The name itself, and the way the two stay together is enough to remind her of her mute son’s fennec fox, Alec, who became the boy’s voice in lieu of any telepathic talent. It isn’t her place to assume, but there must be some communication going on either physically or mentally between the two. And Companion implies more than a cross-species friendship. Though how deep the relationship goes, Yael doesn’t want to begin to think about.

But wouldn’t it be nice? To have someone, always and forever?

By now, what’s happened is clear; the mortality is seeping back into her bones, but her heart remains the size of her once-immortal soul. Too big to ever stop loving, too tender to calcify, too honest to try and feign being someone she’s not. Thus does she feel with every cell in her body, grief running from the very mitochondria of her foundation to the keratin of her hooves. Joy radiates to the tips of her mane and whiskers of her nose. This full body experience is nothing new.

They come to the cave and the petite pegasus follows her savior inside. Keen eyes take note of two nests, and the smell of someone else - someone masculine - though the scent is fainter than Rexanna’s. Clearly she’s made an effort to create a home for herself (and perhaps a family), and immediately Yael feels some guilt at intruding. Rexanna, however, is a gracious host, and so the frozen mare keeps her mouth shut; she must do better at remembering that sometimes it’s ok to let others take care of her. “T’ank you,” she says simply, and steps towards the offered area, ruffling her wings a bit to try and get warmer air flowing amongst the feathers.

“Yes, only a couple of veeks, I t’ink? Time ees… ah, eet xas gotten avay from me recently. Eet ees all very…” She shakes her head, grimacing in exasperation. How could she possibly explain it all? There are pieces that will always be missing, reasons she doesn’t understand. With an exhale and then another deep breath, Yael offers as much as she can before changing the subject. “I xope vone day I cahn repay you. To a stranger xoo has lost everyt’ing… t’is ees ze vorld.” Her brown eyes look away and she swallows tightly, briskly moving on. “You xaf a mate, yes? Ees t’is your first child?”

Because babies are always a safe topic amongst mothers.

@Rexanna I am so so so sorry to take a long time! Was rough on the work front and then sick :\

Rexanna

Rexanna hardly noticed the confusion as it came across Yael’s face. Perhaps if she had, she’d be able to better elaborate, but the ex-Thief figured as they warmed up that the pegasus might have some questions that the gilded woman could answer, to help give insight and comfort. Yet, as she moved further into the cave and silence overcame her and Rexanna offered a few questions, Yael responded with a thickly accented “thank you” and fluffed her wings for warmth.

Soon enough, however, Yael’s words came into the brisk air as a response. Immediately Rexanna smiled gently, remembering her first few weeks and a few of the terrifying encounters she had endured during the first month or so she spent in this new and overwhelming land. As Yael paused, unable to finish the words, Rexanna cleared her throat gently as she shifted her weight. “Overwhelming?” She questioned with a slight tilt of her head, the chains adorning her forehead shifting with the movement. “I was the same when I arrived, don’t worry.” She assured before Yael spoke again.

I hope one day I can repay you.” Rexanna’s smile only grew a bit brighter, and with a slight shake of her head began to speak. “We’re herdmates, it’s honestly the least I can do. Besides, having friends in a world that can be far too lonely is at least something everyone should have.” A small nod finished her set of words. And to respond back to Yael’s other questions, she situated herself to get a bit more comfortable, to settle in for stories and tales of her time in Helovia, of questions the mare might have that nobody else might be able to answer.

I do, yes. I’m not sure if you’ve met him yet. His name’s Tembovu. He’s the King here. And no, this little one is going to be my fourth one.” She admitted, while Marembo shook his head from his place, wanting Rexanna to correct herself and say five, but the pain of having to speak of your first child being a stillborn was not something that the ex-Thief wanted acquaintances to know. “I had twins before now. One of them is missing, that’s where Tembovu is right now. He’s looking for him.” She offered the information easily as a small frown creased the corners of her lips. “What about you? Do you have children?” She questioned quietly, hoping not to step over any boundaries.

"Talk."

@Yael no worries <3 it's been a busy time :D

Rexanna’s nod is met with her own; there will be no more protests from Yael tonight. Polite refusal and thanks can go too far, after all. Perhaps it is best to simply settle in and enjoy some female companionship in the late hours of the night.

Privately, she thought it was a bit odd that neither the King nor Queen came to see who she was, as that was the way things operated back in B’kanna. The Edge, however, seems to be teeming with life and as Yael fades in the background of the milling residents every day, she could understand that it may not be possible to know everyone in the herd. And she’s done nothing to draw attention to herself, so of course the very busy monarchs would take no notice of her. She’d been vetted. She isn’t causing problems. That’s enough.

Her dainty head shakes back and forth atop her long neck, as she indicates that she has no idea who her mate is. “I xaf never met ze King or Keen – only Leeanna ahnd Tooloose ahnd Ert’e.” There were others, Romeena and the mare from the Forest, but she hadn’t seen them in the Edge and assumed they were part of another herd. “But I look forvard to eet. Vhat ees your poseeshon here?” Leeanna was a healer, but she couldn’t remember what the other two did – if anything at all. That part of her time here is still rather fuzzy. It’s a miracle the names come back to her at all.

Tembovu. Best remember that.

A sad, but wide smile slowly stretches across her face as she listens to her host talk about her family. Not to be confused with being happy that one of her children is missing, but she cannot help the tides of love that wash over her when she thinks about her brood. “I ahm sure your child vill be alright. Some of mine xad a vandering soul… but t’ey alvays came back.” Except Akbar. Akbar took off and was never seen again by his siblings. But the rest of them kept their Ima in their hearts and were mindful of the fact that Yael loved them as much as she loved waking up in the morning. “I xaf… t’irteen cheeldren, eef you can believe eet,’ she says with a dry chuckle. The number is large, and she does not appear to be old, so she can imagine the questions that statement will prompt, the stories that will begin to unravel.

@Rexanna Loving this thread. ;)

Rexanna

As the gilded pegasus shakes her head, Rexanna’s own head tilts a small amount. She found it strange, seeing as it seemed Tembovu knew of everyone in this land, that the fact he hadn’t met one of the herd members was almost as surprising as finding the pegasus on the ledge of the Cliffside. Aside from that, Alysanne hadn’t met her either! Oh, how very strange. Yet, as Yael continued on and mentioned all those she had met, the only one Rexanna knew was little Erthe. She offered the pegasus a small smile with that information. “I haven’t met the other ones, actually. Though I met Erthe when she was just a tiny thing.” She mused pleasantly.

Do you have a position here?” The words were thickly coated in accents but the ex-Thief could make them out. She shook her head briefly to assure Yael if she, too, didn’t have a position in the large herd land of the World’s Edge. “No, I don’t. I haven’t quite found my groove here. Though, I used to live in the Aurora Basin for many seasons. I was a Thief for them for quite some time.” She admitted, offering a pleasant smile. “I left to live here in the Edge so my children could be with their father.” She noted as well, though she’d be lying if she said she didn’t miss the Basin at all.

When Yael spoke of her children having wandering souls, it soothed a few of the nerves the gilded woman had. Rein was like that, Kiada even more so. And she hoped the gilded woman was right that the colt would return to her side as everyone seemed to think he would. “I hope so.” She admitted, turning her head slightly away to gaze outside the cave entrance. Then, Yael chuckled and admitted she had thirteen children. Rexanna’s eyes widened slightly and she offered a small chuckle of her own as she looked to the mare. “Thirteen? Oh my goodness.” Another small chuckle escaped her lips. “I can’t even imagine that amount!” She paused, her tone getting a bit more serious toward the end.

Was it nice having such a big family?” It was a serious, quiet question. Curious of the answer as Rexanna only grew up with fake families or her own extremely tiny one. She wanted to know if it was worth it, having so many children and a giant family, or if it was too hard on one’s emotions.

"Talk."

@Yael <3 sorry for the wait! I'm loving it too :D

The entirety of the past two months have been passing strange; the fact that she is still mostly unknown, even to the leaders, does not stand out to her. It is a little blessing, in fact, if only for the leniency it gives her if she does not decide to stay. The fewer she disappoints, the better. But then - Rexanna hadn’t met her ‘friends,’ which can only lead to one conclusion. Yael nods, saying, “T’is must be a large xerd indeed.” Her ears twitch when she hears Aurora Basin, remembering the flighty filly she met in the Threshold. “I met a filly from ze Basin een ze Thresxold. Romeena. Said xer mozer vas ze Lady t’ere, but she seemed… almost scared of me.” A light chuckle. “Vheech ees very odd, you see. Xow many keengdoms ahr xere? Vhat ahr t’ey like?”

Now that the little foreigner is comfortable, a barrage of questions seem to fly from her mouth, and once she realizes this, Yael makes an effort to bite her tongue and hold back until Rexanna finishes. She cannot, however, quite stifle a yawn that creeps up through the back of her throat, all sneaky-like, taking her almost completely by surprise. What a difference a warm(er) cave and a friendly ear make! Though it is clear that her new friend has troubles of her own, and so Yael does her best to try and soothe them. “Reksana. I do not know you very vell, or your son at ahl, but I vould find myself meesing a mozer like you, I t’ink. Eet ees obvious you care very much for xeem. T’at does not go unnoteeced... even eef eet takes t’em avhile to realize eet.”

This is truly the most she’s said to anyone in one sitting (thus far), but there is also comfortable silence, too, and Yael lets it stretch until she is asked about her own family, and grins at the response. “Nice? Yes. Busy, and compleecated too. Several fazers, and t’en some vere adopteed. I t’ink because I lost my whole tribe vhen I vas a feelly, t’at I subconsciouly vanted to make anozer vone. Ahnd I loved being called Ima and Savta, - “ she quickly adds the translations in, “- Mozer and Grandmozer een my tongue. T’ey vere all deeferent, and sometimes eet vas infuriateeng, and sometimes eet vas xeartbreaking…” her voice trails off for moment, as the little golden mother loses herself in memories for a moment. “And sometimes I look back and t’ink t’at maybe I should xaf focused more on being a Mozer t’an a Keen… but t’ey alvays knew xow much I loved t’em. Xow much t’eir fazers loved t’em. T’at I vould burn ze vorld down for t’em eef need be.”

Ah, but she’s said too much, now, and slightly embarrassed, she concludes simply and sadly with, “T’ey and t’ere cheeldren vere my greatest joy.” What she doesn’t say is what she would do to get back to them. Or how she wonders if they have forgiven her for draining herself past all sensible levels, or even… if they miss her as much as she misses them.

@Rexanna

Rexanna

When Yael begins to speak again, mentioning her time in the Threshold and hearing the term Aurora Basin, Rexanna’s ears immediately perked up in curiosity. “Romina.” A warm smile grew across her features at the memory of the small doe-like child. Her eyes lit up at the memory of the cold icy herd land, though part of her grew sad at the circumstances of her leave. At least Yael was here, willing to listen and seek information that the ex-Thief could supply. “Romina is a wonderful child.” She remarked quietly. “Her mother and I were quite close when I lived in the Basin. Our children were born close to the same time, we spent a lot of time together because of them.” She admitted, a smile tugging on the corners of her lips.

There are four herds in Helovia. There’s us, the World’s Edge. We’re the furthest west you can get, as I’m sure you saw with the Cliffside. The Basin is located in the most northern sector of this land, with a beautiful array of mountain peaks, plenty of snow, and the northern lights that glisten nearly every night. Closest to the Threshold, though a bit north eastern is the Hidden Falls. I’ve only been there once, but I’ve heard its beautiful and full of waterfalls and greenery. Then, in the south, there’s the Dragon’s Throat. I’ve never been in the Throat, as it’s surrounded by a rather large moat. I’m not sure how anyone but pegasi get access, to be honest.” She paused, eyes seeking those of the pegasus in front of her in case she had any questions or seemed confused about anything. “Each land has their own God as well. The Edge has the Moon Goddess. The Basin has the Time God. I believe the Falls have the Earth God, and the Throat has the Sun God.” She noted as well, hoping the extra information might give the mare something to think about in the meantime.

Though conversations shifted as they typically did, and Rexanna’s mind began to dance around all the things that Yael painted in her mind. Following along with what Yael was saying, Rexanna couldn’t help but begin to feel a bit reminiscent of her own past. She hardly had a family as well, and now she was a mother of three beautiful children and a part of a giant herd. She couldn’t have really asked for anything better at this moment, and so her gaze softened on the gilded mare gently as she paused and lost herself in thought before continuing. “It sounds like you have a wonderful family.” She admitted quietly, her smile resting softly on her pale features. “I didn’t have much of a family when I was born either. I come from a primarily unicorn land called Halyven. Evidently, I was a product of an affair between the Queen and the General of the army. My mother was put to death by the King and I was banished and forced to believe I was nothing more than a servant. But, war has a funny way of involving itself in the worst ways.” She paused, eyes seeking Yael’s once again to see if she might be following along or have questions.

The King had tried to fend off the Pegasi for as much as he could. But I was his last weapon. He brought me to him, told me I was a princess that had been hidden away for safety – meanwhile I had no idea who my mother was or the circumstances of my birth – and sent me off to become the mate to the Prince of Aciend, the land of the pegasi.” She reminisced quietly, shaking her head slightly to try and remove the bald face of Calstron from her mind – still entirely unaware he now lived in the same herd that she did. “But regardless of that, I never thought I’d bear children until I came here.” She admitted, trying to push off the mention of her stillborn for a little bit longer. "And what a blessing it is."

"Talk."

@Yael <3

This night is a beacon of light in the endless sea of blackness she seems to be flailing in. How Yael has managed to stay afloat for so long is uncertain, but the little golden woman has always seemed to have a hidden bit a strength. Little bits of iron amongst the slender lines and warm, fuzzy parts. You’d never know it by looking at her, but the petite, kind-hearted mare is a survivor, if only by luck and sheer willpower; opportunities which she’s taken advantage of, situations she’s manipulated, and a deep, sincere desire to protect and make the world a safe place.

God (The Gods?) alone will judge her when she finally passes from the earthly world to the next. Yael is not afraid of this, for there are more than a few friends she’s very eager to see again. What would be devastating (Adonai forbid she ever truly take the time to think about) is if she never got to see her family again… at least talking about them brings their scents, their faces, the touch of their whiskery noses to mind. Vividly so. They are imprints on her heart, etched in indelible ink down to the very marrow of her bones. And when the vultures come to eat her flesh, when the coyotes to crack her skeleton apart, they will consume a part of Yael’s soul. She will return to rejoin the universe. If any of her children still draw breath, she will be part of them again.

It is something she must believe in. Fervently.

Though drowsy, she pays attention to Reksana’s description of the herds in Xelovia. Without asking further questions, she accepts that there are multiple Gods, each taking a part for themselves. There will surely be questions about this later, when her brain isn’t whirling in dopamine and her eyes feel less like lead weights. The night wanes, and the little golden pegasus is very much behind on her sleeping schedule, but still, she fights against weariness and time until she can politely pass the fuck out.

“A blessing indeed. You seem much xappier now,” she says, interrupted by a massive yawn. “Ahhh, forgeev me, do you mind eef I ah, close my eyes for a beet?” While the woman can’t imagine that the answer would be no, she does her best to keep her eyes open. What she does know is that the last thing she murmurs to the mother-to-be is , “I am so very glad to xaf met you, Reksana. I xope ve can be freends… “

@Rexanna  Care to end it here? Feel free to powerplay her falling asleep/whatever you want Rexanna to do at the end :) Hope they can meet up again soon!