the Rift

[PRIVATE] Follow [RANJIRI]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

A peculiarly spectacular magpie looks for Ranjiri.

Coasting over the chilly, autumn air, her glossy wings reflect the morning light.  Large for her kind, with a sparkle of intellect gleaming in her black, beady gaze, the bird gently coasts and flutters, weaving through trees and over field, silent but for the occasional hushed whisper of her feathers through the wind.  Wanting to catch her early in the day to allow ample time for travel, the quick witted thing grows more and more anxious as the time passes.

Soon, however, she sees her, the onyx and gold hybrid standing out in the Earth’s naturally colored world.  Now, now the magpie makes noise, her call rough over the breeze, her wings pitching her body down towards the Czarina in a swift spiral.

Foll-oh!  Foll-oh! croaks the bird, her black beak clattering, the swift descent followed by a sharp, upward rise, and another bombarding dip.  Again and again, the bird dives in and out of Ranjiri’s personal space to flutter and flap her wings at the hybrid, her beckoning cackles continuous - at least until she’s sure Ranjiri will follow her, after all.

Darting away from the mare and back into the air, the magpie flies swiftly south, out of the Hidden Falls, and into the Dark Forest.  Dropping into the trees themselves, she nimbly flies through the gnarled trunks, trying to follow paths which are clear and easy to traverse for those who aren’t flying or small.  Occasionally, the bird slows to be sure that the Czarina still follows her, but she otherwise moves with a direct purpose, deeper and deeper into the heart of the ancient wood, her voice still occasionally calling out:

Foll-oh!  Foll-oh!

[ OOC: For Ranjiri and those she invites only. ]

Image Credits
@Ranjiri

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
Ranjiri
{
"Grief never ends, but it changes. Its a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love."

The first thing I thought when the magpie swooped down at me was that I was near her nest and that she was trying to protect it. I was too startled by its sudden appearance to really notice that its calls sounded remarkably like follow. My ears fell back and I backed away from where I had been grazing, but as I moved I realized that that couldn't be the case. Didn't birds hatch during Birdsong? I snorted and shook my head, eyed the bird warily then returned to my grazing, hoping that it would leave me alone.

I had peace for all of three seconds before the bird dove at me again, but this time it was relentless in its flapping and chirping. I ducked my head and tried to ignore it,  I tried moving away from where I had been grazing again, I flapped my own wings to try and brush it away, but nothing seemed to work. "What?" I groaned at the bird because I didn't understand what I had done or what it wanted.

"Foll-oh! Foll-oh!"

Wait.

"Follow?" I repeated what it sounded like the bird was saying and I took a few unsure, hesitant steps. The diving stopped and it flew south. It was easy enough, at that point, to assume that the bird wanted me to follow it, so I did.... at least until we reached the forest. I balked at first because the last time I'd been in those trees I had found Rhoa's mutilated corpse. 

"Foll-oh! Foll-oh!"

My heart hammered in my chest, and even though I wanted nothing to do with the forest I pushed myself forward, "Where are you taking me?" I called out to the bird, though I was sure the only response I would get was Foll-oh!"What do you want?" I continued to follow my guide deeper and deeper into the forest.

"." 

ooc:// Dragomir can tag along if he wants to :D

thank you!!!!!

Credits

aud pixel!

Dragomir Posts: 275
World's Edge Glazier atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17" :: 7 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Bunnie

DRAGOMIR
hoping for the best, just hoping nothing happens

The call of a bird draws Dragomir’s eyes up from his grazing, the song one he’s never heard before. Looking up to discover a black and white bird flying low over the Tallsun weary and Orangemoon withered grasses, he’s surprised to notice that the bird is being followed by Ranjiri.

Like any gentleman would, the paint immediately sets aside his current task of eating and thinking about the bronze dragon figurine in one of his satchels to take up after Ranjiri. Mostly because she’s pregnant, but also because she is approaching the Dark Forest (where he knew dark memories might lurk for her), he quickly picks up speed, moving from his usual leisurely walking pace to a trot, unwilling to let her walk the black wood alone. Thankfully, his height (and not having an entirely person inside his belly) gives him the speed advantage, and he is alongside her no sooner than she’s walked into the dark wood.

The bird is still ahead, its horrible voice cawing loudly. He notices almost immediately, now that he’s in ear shot, that it’s asking her to follow it, and, unlike Ranjiri’s brave and bold decision to follow it in good faith, Dragomir is filled with a sense of dread, and foreboding. Maybe it’s just the way the bird sounds, and the shadows, he thinks, and surely the Earth watches, and keeps Ranjiri safe?

"Odd for a bird to speak," he decides to say after many paces in silence, his deep voice rumbling lowly as he steadily moves alongside his dearest companion. Not an avid fan of this forest, either, he finds it hard to talk with more volume than a muted mumble, quite unlike the bird, whose calls surely bound a good distance through the haunting quiet of this wood.

a thousand clever lines unread on clever napkins
(I won't ever ask if you don't ever tell me)

image by ali<3
Wishlist | Table Tracker  

Any violence/magic is allowed to be used upon Dragomir at anytime, permitting it doesn't kill or seriously maim him without my permission <3

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

When the stallion joins Ranjiri, the bird does not seem to notice, or care. Her flight continues forward, her calls ever sounding, and the shadow of the forest grows deeper and deeper.

Soon, the world about the three becomes truly wild, the roots treacherous and gnarled, and the trunks of the ancient trees are remarkably broad and twisted. The gentle shrubbery of other forests in Helovia becomes the grabbing branches of brambles and thickets, the paths the bird follows more and more difficult to follow swiftly. Like golden beacons, the sunlight pierces through small, keyhole openings in the canopy, spilling radiant beams which make the darkness around them all the more obvious.

It might be easy, then, to notice when the magpie dips into the earthen den, nestled between two ancient trees. Their roots, conjoined like thousands of fingers clasped tightly together, form an awning, reaching over a concave hole. What used to be a hillock on which the proud trees grew has slowly been eaten away by rain and wind, forming a dark hollow, into a light deprived space several feet wide and tall.

Into that shadow the bird slips, its body rippling and morphing eerily as the dark swallows all sight of it.

It’s not long before she returns from the den, but now, the creature is no longer a magpie at all; a black wolf flecked with moony white returns from the entrenchment, busy with something at her paws. The eyes of the she-wolf, however, are still the same, hauntingly intelligent black orbs, flickering up at Ranjiri and her male company anxiously.

Glossy as obsidian, but richly black as the night sky, the egg she tenderly rolls towards the mare is obviously hers. What is also obvious, in this wolf form, is that the creature is old, with silver predominant about her eyes and mouth, her once fine fur worn, and draped loosely over tired bones. Death is coming for her, too soon for her to care for her last, precious offspring as will be necessary for its survival; something about Ranjiri made the shape-shifter sure that her child would be well cared for, even if the mare was to have a child of her own, soon.

Though the wolf cannot talk, her intentions are obvious as she nudges the egg away from herself, towards Ranjiri’s golden hooves.

[ Congratulations!

Ranjiri has been given a common rougarou egg! You may hatch the egg in this thread or wait until a time of your choosing. ]

Image Credits
@Ranjiri

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
Ranjiri
{
"Grief never ends, but it changes. Its a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love."
There was something about Dragomir that was particularly soothing, so when he joined me as I followed behind the bird I was thankful. I knew that I was delving headfirst into the unknown and having him there with me was a little boost to my confidence. If something bad happened I was sure that he would help protect me and my unborn child. As I walked I drifted closer to him until my feathers brushed against his side. "Yeah." I agreed quietly with his comment about the bird. 

My size made it hard to move quickly through the dense forest and when the bird disappeared I was worried, at first, that I had lost it. I didn't notice the den in the ground until the wolf came out of it. My heart had leapt into my throat when I first saw it. But it didn't seem threatening. It was the eyes - the same eyes the bird had - that gave it away. 

Something else came out of the den and I looked away from the wolf to the ... egg. "Huh?" It took me a few seconds before I realized that she was trying to give it to me. I was dumbfounded and amazed. "Thank you." I whispered, because I didn't know what else to say. What did you say when someone was willingly giving their kid to you?

The egg had only just reached my hooves when a crack appeared on its surface. At first it startled me because I was sure that it couldn't possibly be hatching right then. But little pieces of shell fell away, bit by bit, and when a tiny baby snake slithered out I sucked in a sharp breath.

The feeling that washed over me was something that I can't possibly describe. I suddenly felt whole, like I had been missing a part of myself that I hadn't known had been missing. I lowered my head toward the tiny creature butted its little head against my nose, its tongue flickering in a way that was comfortably familiar. "I think I'll call you Mara."

"." 

ooc://

thank you!!!!!

Credits

aud pixel!

Dragomir Posts: 275
World's Edge Glazier atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17" :: 7 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Bunnie

DRAGOMIR
hoping for the best, just hoping nothing happens

They are both quiet as the follow the bird, Dragomir, especially, highly skeptical of the entire situation. Having been told about the beasts that could be spotted in this wood by more than just Ranjiri, the painted stallion finds that he rather dislikes each malevolent shadow less and less, as they pass by in the hundreds, and he eyes each with a wary glance for a pair of watching eyes. Not entirely sure what he might do if they were attacked, he is, at least, prepared for one.

Still, they travel far into the wood, the crafter about to suggest that they turn around, talking bird be damned, before they went too far, and became lost. When the shouting of the bird stops, however, his curiosity is again roused, the massive stallion pressing close to his gold-trimmed darling as they break through the last row of trees.

While Ranjiri looks for the creature, Dragomir knows where the bird has gone, an odd, cold sensation racing across his skin as he looks into the dark space beneath the roots. When a wolf appears rather than a bird, he takes a powerful stride forward in defense of the pregnant mare, before realizing that the beast has something with it. Pausing, and back tracking multiple, small steps for his single, defensive charge, Dragomir looks at the round object with his ears perked and crystalline eyes shining, having only ever seen one egg not belonging to a dragon before, a long, long while ago, when most of Helovia had all been trapped in the Heart Caves, and the rest rampaged upon the surface.

The hatching of the thing is equally unexpected, Dragomir looking up from the blushingly intimate moment between Ranjiri and the still-within-the-cracking-shell Mara, to notice how very gaunt the mother was. His eyes darken momentarily with sadness, though he remains quiet, not wanting to spoil the bonding between his love and her new companion with such sorrow as death.

"A snake?" he asks, when he’s sure it’s polite to, "but the other one was a bird, and a wolf."

That the notion perplexes him is probably an understatement; his face is bewildered as he looks from the small reptile back to the sometimes avian but now mammal mother it allegedly belonged to.

"They aren’t even the same thing at all!" he blusters, completely thrown by the entire irrational situation.

[ OOC: I'M AWFUL SMACK ME ]

a thousand clever lines unread on clever napkins
(I won't ever ask if you don't ever tell me)

image by ali<3

@Ranjiri
Wishlist | Table Tracker  

Any violence/magic is allowed to be used upon Dragomir at anytime, permitting it doesn't kill or seriously maim him without my permission <3