the arena

Nymeria Posts: 182
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 3 years HP: 69.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lilómiel :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Wanderer
And I've grown familiar
With villains that live in my head

How long ago was it now?

A week, a month, a year? It seemed forever and a day since she'd last stood here, a silent sentinel at the border of Helovia and beyond; she teetered, drawn in by familiar magic and familiar forest. She had long wandered, content to let the malevolence in her heart simmer and settle, and now she was returned—but it felt to her as if perhaps her place here was not as set as it once was.

Don't be so pretentious. A sly and old smile flickered across her lips; she rolled one satin red eye to her little companion circling overhead.

I'm not. I'm telling the truth, the way it is.

Neither of them were particularly inclined to address the sincerity of that particular statement. The two of them had been together long enough—and known each well enough—to recognize the falsity of such a pretty sentence. Nymeria was a fox, a cruel-eyed vixen, whose greatest weapon lay in the cunning of her words and the weaving of true and false. There was nothing black-and-white, no right-or-wrong; there was only what she made the truth to be and her ability to perform in front of the critical crowd.

Now, that time had come again.

She had priorities and plans, of course; but more than anything she was curious where she would wash up, what kind of clever brutes would be coming her way. There had been a waxing and waning of seasons in her absence, and no doubt a waxing and waning in power and authority; it was important, exceedingly so, that she might rediscover her footing before acting on any impudent impulses.

So the two of them delve deeper into the forest, dark silhouettes in a darkening forest, willing and hungry, prepared at long last to return what was once their dearest home.

image credits

OOC: I know this is short and more than a little shoddy but I'm rather out of practice. Once I get a few posts in I'm sure I'll be more warmed up! Anyone is welcome too!

Yes I lied, don't think about you all the time
All my switchblade words ain't aim to cut your sweet delusions

Tilney Posts: 288
World's Edge Moon Doctor atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2hh :: VI HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Peatree :: Lesser Fruit Bat :: None Neverrmind
Tilney

Peatree had grown, and it was evident in the strength of his wings and his flight. The mammal was becoming increasingly stornger, able to fly higher and for much longer without needing to perch on Tilneys antlers - a place he had called home for far too long. Their bond has also grown in strength, and tilney was certain it was not long until the creature was capable of mind speach like so many others who accompanied his freinds.
Mbwene, for example, was a wonderful creature. One much older than Peatree though, She always appreciated the flower gifts Tilney gave to her. And Wynter, the bonded creature belonging to his love Arah. She was a fiercely loyal to his doe and Tilney was thankful to the griffin for keeping the ice princess safe.

It was the coo which echoed from the winged mammal's snout that alerted Tilney, and aroused him from his slightly mindless wandering. Peatree flapped furiously in the direction of another, a small dragon who no doubt kept the soul of another. Tilney had only ever seen dragons as companions anyway; Tallis, for example - the dragon who had saved him from Raedens fateful strike.

With Pea swooping on ahead to meet the dragon, Tilney slinked with his lantern alight through the conifers to meet what looked like another equid threading through the threshold. She stood at a similar height to him, and was coated in a wonderful onyx hide. It was her fearsome skull face marking that caught him, stopping him in his tracks ever so slightly.
"Are you cold, Ma'am" Tilney uttered to the unnerving woman. He might offer the cloak he wore, but she did terrify him somewhat.

ooc; wanda welcome back! so nice to see you back around ☀︎
@Nymeria

x

Wander or Leave
turn in to winter lights
☀︎

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit

these mild days are numbered by the storm that brews within

The snows had driven the prey further south, and with Alice's stomach grumbling with the yearning for larger game, the Valkyrie and her hellbitch had wandered down into the southern wilds in pursuit of meat. The winter snow seemed to mute each sound down to the barest hush, and Hotaru was loathe to break it, sharing her thoughts with the hound's in utter silence. Allowing Alice - who wandered far ahead, nose to the skies and to the earth, eyes as sharp as an eagle's - to hunt at her leisure while she stretched her own legs. 

The Threshold was not unfamiliar to a woman like her - a leader, a thief, a secretive ghost in the shadows of the yawning trees. She had plucked many a soul from the tender bosom of the doorway without a single ounce of regret, adding them to her fold and flock with a tender smile that covered the wolf's teeth hidden beneath. With Alice off on her own she sidetracked, Arabic lineage meant for thick sand dunes just as adequate in the deep snow, and for once she did not suspect how her twins had ended up so deerlike in appearance and structure. It truly wasn't that abnormal considering their lineage. 

Even without Alice's ears to aid her own good hearing, she is not blind or deaf to the going-ons of the forest, the voice that calls out softly to another. With a gleam in her eye she shifted, the hush of snow the only heralding sound of her interest, and the Valkyrie went forth onto the field to pursue the warrior spirits calling to her. 

One is a stranger - a stallion, fair and handsome, and her eyes glaze over him appreciatively for a moment for she is a collector of all things beautiful and strong - but the other is far more interesting in counterpoint. In face a soft noise of surprise escapes her normally masked face, and she whickers low in greeting to the girl who has grown so much since Hotaru had saved her from the mountain lion that had sought her flesh. 

"Nymeria," she greets quietly with a reserved smile, one that is sincere, and because of that small. "You've grown up beautifully," she compliments, and her eyes gleam with the private knowledge and faltering familiarity between the pair of them. Wonders if the lass even recalls Hotaru at all, for how young she'd been when the traumatic incident had occurred. But then her head cocks and, quieter, asks a more important question: "Are you well?" 

It had been many years since Hotaru and Confutatis had last encountered one another - but Hotaru had never held that against Nymeria, and she would not now. But she privately wondered, almost sickly curious, if Nymeria took after the World Eater now that she had grown into her bones and beauty. 

At last she spares a glance to the stallion, polite and warm all at once. "Greetings, I am Hotaru, Lady of the Basin. May I ask your name?" She could not leave him feeling unwelcomed, after all. 

[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Valdís Posts: 24
Dragon's Throat Filly
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 1 year
dark
tie a rope around your neck,
and let me kick you off a bungee
I have reached the age where my life no longer depends so heavily on my failure of a mother, where I grow far more independent and venture out into the world unaccompanied, a reckless youth that unsettles the population with an eyeless stare and harsh commentary— I am shunned by the Throat, altogether they despise me deep in the blackness of their souls, for in mourning I told them to stop being so childish (I, a child, told them to stop being so childish). They wept for a man I did not know the name of (I know his name now, Gaucho the Wildfire, a revered warrior who fell into madness, who crumbled beneath the weight of Mortality, who bowed his head to Death), who I did not care for. They shed tears when I could not, felt their hearts yearning for the blazing fires that scorched his body to once again burn bright against the landscape— but he laid cold and dead, achieving what I had so eagerly sought, what I so desperately needed.

It was at a time when my face burned each day as the sun struck the wounded skin, summoned from it a stench that made me gag, repulsed by the smell of my own sizzling flesh. I spent hours tucked beneath Momma's wing, hidden away from the world as though I was something to be ashamed of, I was her immodesty, her mistakes (she hates me)— she led me astray, guiding me closer and closer to the endlessly roaring ocean before revealing me to the world, before even considering feeding me. I was not her pride and joy, her whole world, the child she dotes on and adores— I am a burden, a sin of impurity, an object to be thrown away when she cannot handle the life of another (she can barely manage herself, I can feel the protruding ribs and hear the raspy inhales, smell the fresh blood caking the skin beneath her wings). The smell sickens me, banishes my appetite into the depths and keeps me at a distance from her, assaulting my senses are her sobs and stenches, my sensitive nose and ears that are compensating for the loss of my eyes become a curse rather than a blessing.

I leave the Throat for the first time since my birth (I was an outsider to them, a child brought in bloody and wounded by a malnourished woman, a child who ran her mouth at the worst of times), navigating the world through a blurry mess of shapes and vibrant colours— my world has changed since The Shift, where I went from an underwhelmingly small presence in an overwhelmingly big nothingness, to a small presence in a world consumed by reds and blues and yellows, tinges of orange and purple and green, defining a whole new world for me. The intensity of this change in scenery (from an endless void to a vast amount of colours and information) crippled me, tumbling into a screaming mess that ached and let my throat go raw from the agony. It took too long to adjust to it, for my brain to settle down and begin to register the flow of information coursing through it. It had been a sensory overload, an overwhelming miracle that sent me spiraling into a tantrum that lasted what felt like eternity. I could not eat, could not sleep, could not function during the days of adjustment— my body could only handle one thing, and those basic needs were not what was important at the time.

So now I make my way through what must be a mass of trees, they barely stand out against the crisp blues (it's Frostfall, of course it's going to be so damn cold). My sides have suffered a few unfortunate run ins with trees and bushes of varying shapes and sizes, one particular incident leaving a particularly irritated wound on my left shoulder, seeping from it is the thick metallic liquid I've come to know too well. It's not the scratch that unsettles me, but the smell that makes its way into my nostrils, the feelings that claw at my stomach and howl. It's Momma, baring her teeth and tearing at the newborn flesh, so close to taking away the gift she'd just given— life.

Not that I wanted it anyway (then or now).

There's warm blotches appearing, soft voices mingling together, a gathering of what could be at least three horses. There's no possible way for me to recognize them with just their heat signatures, so I creep closer and closer, swallowing thickly as my stomach churns and shoulders stiffen. I am not courageous, not eager to reveal my disfigured features to strangers, to plummet into a place I do not belong. This is the beginning of a feeling I will grow too familiar with, a presence will come to know all too well (Anxiety creeps through my veins, ghosting up my spine and grasping my gut with a rough hand). I push beyond this adolescent fear, this newly developed sense of inferiority, this dark comparison— I am odd, a mangled babe to be given pity and shamed, shunned and hated. A disgrace, a burden, a mongrel. I dare to enter their conversation, to register each figure individually, to take the time to understand what differentiates each equine.

There is a woman, built sturdily with broad shoulders and thick legs, steady on her feet and powerful. Her air is a mystery, a whisper of trouble, a dangerous woman with a twisted tongue. Another woman, poised and precious, refined and less broad shouldered— petite compared to the other two. She is crowned royalty, regal and fair with her words  firm but not harsh. Welcoming. And the last, antlered, refined, well proportioned. There's little to know, strained ears and a head cocked as if that will give me a better sense of each character, as if my adolescent intuition will gift me with knowledge on who these strangers are. All I caught was the introduction of Hotaru, Lady of the Basin— the formality is enough to provide confirmation, prestige taints her blood.

I do not speak, only wait. Who will be the first to look, to ask who I am, what's wrong? Where's my mother? Who will comment on the disgusting appearance of my face, the shredded skin on my sides, on the mess that I am? I listen closely, I listen well— who will it be?

-- wandaaaaa~<3 val needed to get out and do things, so i decided why not chuck her in here to meet her aunt nym c': also this post is a mess bc im coming back after my lo n g hiatus

Nymeria Posts: 182
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 3 years HP: 69.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Lilómiel :: Plain Black Dragon :: Fire Breath Wanderer
And I've grown familiar
With villains that live in my head

Nymeria is not hungry, tired, nor ambitious; she lives in a state of being separated from the afflictions of flesh and desire, rejuvenated by her long absence. It is with presumptuous pride that she walks—her hips ever swinging, her mane ever in coquette perfection—and with a heart that is almost light. For at long last she has achieved that freedom from which she was suffering in her efforts to find; a freedom that permits her to fight what she wants, to be who she wants, to create and destroy for herself instead of brother, mother, and blood.

Her dragon smokes, smoulders, flame licking around his nostrils. (Stop being so pretentious.)

And to that she is tempted to laugh—but she refrains from such outward expressions of joy, declines from happiness. Determination. Steel. That is what she is made of; that is what she shall be.

The first vulture to flock to her is gold and flax, with bone antlers clawing at the air and a shoulder consumed by tree branches. He is, in a way, majestic (but frail, unlike her, she who is solid, rotund, hard bone and corpulent curves.) Nym’s dragon dances, wings flashing, and drifts away from the bat that eagerly approaches. No longer is Lil a hungry fool who’d bite at a potential friend, but he has eaten bats too many times to see Tilney’s companion as anything else but meat.

Nymeria feels that this is a clamor for attention, this stallion courting her affections; her nostrils flare and cusp delicately as she turns hard scarlet eyes upon him, a wolfish smile to appear on her lips. “Hello,” she offers in polite greeting, “and that is exceedingly thoughtful of you, but I’m alright.” For the scarcest moment there is a terrible and old venom that glints beneath her courteous veneer, reminiscent of a black widow or vixen or viper. Then it is gone.

Footsteps, quiet; ears swivel and twist, catching a newcomer’s greeting. Nymeria shifts her gaze to settle upon Hotaru, a faintly familiar face and a recognizable voice. She remembers—a whirlwind of fur, claws and blood, fury and desperation. (A guardian? A savior? One of the many meaningful and yet pointless interactions between adult and child?) It is only fair that Nym offers her a smile.

“It’s taken a long time,” she says, her voice in velvet hush, “but I think I am finally doing well.” It is a personal statement (in an almost intimate way), an invitation of sorts.

A scathing voice in her head—she wasn’t asking for your fucking life story Nym—but the mare shakes off her companion’s condescension. Why don’t you focus on making that filly feel welcome, Lil?

“I do hate to interrupt, you two—but I believe we have company.”

image credits

@Tilney
OOC: This is so fucking late and I'm not sure I have an excuse but I hope you guys can forgive me <3

Yes I lied, don't think about you all the time
All my switchblade words ain't aim to cut your sweet delusions