the Rift

never fear, little one

Arihari Posts: 2
Unclaimed
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13.2hh :: 3 years
mono
in another place our lives would've only just begun
Iras..?” the word was barely a whisper in the cold mornings air. A gentle puff of breath that vanished into the lingering darkness. He didn't know where he was anymore. Places where he could see the culture of his people became less and less. Soon there was nothing but barren lands that appeared untouched. Nature itself seemed to warp and change with time – the bird song was different here. In the early morning darkness there was only one soft melody in the branches above. He wouldn't have been able to sing this song.

His lips parted slightly as he paused his movements. Atop of his head his ears twitched curiously as he looked about the snow covered forest. “Iras,” he repeated the word like a gentle prayer. Where. How far had he come from the borders of his people? He couldn't pinpoint how long he had been on this journey. Days. Weeks. Night and day blended together and he quickly lost track. Now here he was in this strange threshold with a heavy feeling of caution gripping his heart.

He was alone.

For now, at least. Arihari took a slight bit of comfort in this as he ducked his head under a low-hanging branch. It gave him a moment to take in his surroundings. He could settle his unsteady heart and take comfort in the crisp air. At least that seemed to remain the same. Though a few of the smells were different there was an underlying hint in the air that reminded him greatly of the forests back home. It was a fresh, slightly earthy smell that warmed him. Swallowing against the lump in his throat, Arih paused to press his shoulder against one of the thick trunks nearby.

Tel'enfenim, da'len,” he hummed quietly to the bird song.

arihari,
it didn't have to be this way but this is what we are
headshot by vivaliis

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

While Mesec was still undecided on what his role should be in the Edge - that is, which rank he should join and start contributing to the herd as - there were still a few things that he could do to help out in the meantime. The Patrols, keeping his eyes open for any reappearances of Kisamoa, and of course the Threshold was always somewhere to visit. Helovia had a habit of drawing in lost souls from other places in the world and even those who had left Helovia once but might return.

He would not deny that there was a small hope in his heart that one day he would come to this forest where Helovia’s borders began and he would see d’Artagnan, his father, again. But while his silver eyes scanned the trees, hoping for a glimpse of bay and silver, he spotted someone else entirely. Someone, from this distance, who looked young and very much alone. There wasn’t any hesitation in the black and silver tribrid, adjusting his wandering course so that he could go over and, at the very least, make sure they were okay.

His zephyr companion was not near him today but rather taking advantage of the trip to the Threshold to hunt the creatures that lived here. There were some particularly chatty squirrel-like creatures that Lucius favoured, they made the most delicious snacks.

As he trekked through the snowy forest, Mesec scowled at these thoughts of his carnivorous companion - and did his best to ignore all the rest that followed.

Although he had first taken the stranger to be a yearling, as Mesec approached he realized he wasn’t totally sure about what age they would be. The stallion (colt?) looked young, that was for sure. Not that it particularly mattered - Mesec would’ve gone to say hello to anyone that he came across here - but there was a certain paternal instinct he was becoming aware of now that he had foals, something that encouraged him to help and protect those younger than him if he could.

He whickered softly, hoping to alert the stranger to his presence without being too startling. Though, he supposed, with his black and silver coat he hardly blended into the Frostfall forest. He paused a respectful distance away, keeping a few metres between them, his silver eyes and voice kind and touched with concern when he spoke. “Hello there. Are you lost?” That seemed a pretty fair question to ask in the Threshold, right? Mesec was a little out of practice with the whole “recruiting” thing but he had never felt right leaping right into the whole spiel about homes and herd-lands.

Oh, I see stars rushing through my mind, colours have no time to fade
Oh, I found out there's another side where the sea and sky collide

artwork by Nikkayla

welcome to Helovia! :D
would you like to be tagged in replies?
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Myrrine Posts: 179
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 (Orangemoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Watermel0nBob
Myrrine

Like a whisper in the wind she had gone from one encounter to another in the depths of the Threshold, gracefully picking her way over the snow and slightly frozen streams that trickled here and there between the sparse thicket. Ears pricked at the sound of another entering, and without another thought she was moving in order to find them, wanting to help them with adjusting to everything that was Helovia. What she found was a small child(?) leaning against a tree, humming in a foreign tongue even she didn't find familiar. Her curiosity began to bubble within her spotted chest, and soon she was walking closer, only to stop as soon as a dark creature of the night landed further away from them both. She recognized him, but she couldn't remember his name. What she did remember though was the thick smell of pine and ocean that lingered on his feathers that resembled the Edge. She had been meeting a lot of their dwellers lately.

"Hello! I hope we haven't startled you," she called softly, watching the uniquely colored boy with warm hazel orbs, confusion and curiosity mingling together as her mind tried to figure just who he was and how old was he. He didn't seemed to hold the air of a child, but his petite size was enough to throw her out of sorts. Snorting, she braved the possibility of him leaping back in order to approach just to see him more clearly. Yes, it was rather rude of her, and she should be more conscious like the tribrid beside her, but she couldn't help but feel drawn to those duo-toned eyes he held within his skull.

"Please forgive my manners, my name is Myrrine. Welcome to Helovia," she breathed softly, daring to stop just a couple feet from him, attempting to come off as harmless as a butterfly-winged pegasus could. She batted her thick lashes, tail swishing delicately behind her as she awaited for an answer, while still watching the dark man next to her. Without thinking she finally turned to him, a pleasant smile on her complexion as she spoke,"I believe I recognize you, but unfortunately my memory is failing me at this moment in time. Regardless, it's a pleasure to meet you again as well Sir!" Despite her tiredness, and the irritably from the last time she had encountered an Edge member, she was going to keep the mask on until it broke and shattered on the ground beside her. Because this was all Myrrine was now.

"Talk."

the butterfly is proof that great darkness
can create great beauty

@Arihari @Mesec - Hey Mono! I tagged you this time just so you can see we posted, but if you don't want me to lemme know! Hi Sarah lovely <3
Any force is permitted aside from death or maiming
PLEASE TAG ME IN POSTS! :3

Arihari Posts: 2
Unclaimed
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13.2hh :: 3 years
mono
in another place our lives would've only just begun
Ara ma'athlan vhenas,” he trailed off his gentle lullaby in time to note the appearance of not only one but two strangers. He pressed tighter against the tree, brow furrowed as he looked between the pair. His attention was caught by the darker coloured stallion first. At first his eyes caught sight of the horn – a relief to the small stallion – but quickly enough he noticed the wings as well. He blinked a few times in confusion. A... mix? Perhaps? They weren't entirely uncommon he supposed but he had seen so few in his journeys. More often than not they were among the city dwellers. Arihari gave a gentle tilt of his head. He had to quietly remind himself that this place wasn't his homeland.

While the stallion kept a polite distance the mare didn't seem so inclined. “Oh!” he exclaimed lightly as he turned his focus to her now. She was just as unique as the stallion to him. Her wings looked so delicate. He briefly feared for them in this chill. They didn't appear to have the same bulk to them as the feathered ones of the darker stallion. Blinking away his surprise Arih flicked his attention back and forth between the two once again.

They were speaking to him. His mind was sluggish to catch up with what he was hearing. The words he recognized. It was the same drawl that the city dwellers used. A common tongue that had been prevalent outside of his forested home. A language he had learned out of necessity rather then actual interest. “On dhea,” he greeted. It did occur to him that the chance they understood was slim. It had been a long while since he had encountered anyone who did. “Lost.. Yes. No.. Wait.. Maybe?” he frowned, wanting to groan in frustration at himself. “I don't know where I am, but there wasn't anywhere I was trying to go? I think?

He must have travelled quite far as well. He had never heard of any mentions of a Helovia before. With an odd name he was sure he would have remembered. However there had never been so much as a whisper. “Ah, and I'm Arihari.

arihari,
it didn't have to be this way but this is what we are
headshot by vivaliis

@Mesec @Myrrine ohgosh yes, tag me! ;O; <3

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

He wasn’t the only one to find the sight of the striped stallion curious enough to investigate - but then, new faces always drew a crowd in the Threshold, whether they wished it or not. He wouldn’t doubt it if someone else, beyond the butterfly-winged mare appeared before very long. He even cast a curious look behind him, checking to see if his thoughts would somehow encourage another face to materialize from the trees surrounding them.

Although Mesec hung back, Myrrine (as she introduced herself) boldly invaded the personal space of the small stallion. But, he supposed, a mare with butterfly wings was difficult to find intimidating. He frowned slightly to himself but did not comment on the matter, his attention instead focused on the stranger and gauging his comfort level.

Mesec felt bad because he did not recognize Myrrine at all, and she claimed to recognize him. Perhaps, like Tiamat, she had met his children and recognized the distinct silver and black colouration? This didn’t seem the time to inquire, however, and instead he joined in with the introductions. “It’s very nice to meet you, Arihari. And you as well, Myrrine. My name’s Mesec.” He smiled at them both, dipping his silver-touched head in politeness before his soft gaze focused on Arihari once more. The small stallion did not seem to recognize the name Helovia, and it made Mesec curious about where he might have come from. How big was the world beyond this forest? “Like Myrrine said, this is Helovia - it stretches from here to the coast in the west, and a little north and south to the oceans there as well.” That was, Mesec thought, the least overwhelming way to describe the land that Arihari had walked into. A quick introductory course on a land that could get very complicated very fast.

“I..” He stumbled, hesitation interrupting the sentence that had been forming before his thoughts reorganized and he tried again. He really was out of practice with this whole ‘Helovia Welcome Wagon’ culture that existed in the Threshold. “I’m from a herd land called the World’s Edge - it’s on the western coast, a rich place of forests - and you’d be welcome to spend some time there, even if you’re looking for somewhere safe to rest.” If Arihari had not been heading anywhere in particular there wasn’t anything Mesec could do to help him get back on track, so he hoped the offer of a haven, if not a home, would at least be something on the right track. He was careful to keep his tone gentle and unassuming, only wishing to try to be of some help if he could.

Oh, I see stars rushing through my mind, colours have no time to fade
Oh, I found out there's another side where the sea and sky collide

artwork by Nikkayla

@Myrrine
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Myrrine Posts: 179
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 (Orangemoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Watermel0nBob
Myrrine

She'd been too confident in her approach, and although the newcomer had taken rather well to it, she realized she would need to be more polite next time. Taking a step back she offered him more girth, dipping her head almost apologetically before listening to the sudden foreign words leaving his lips once again. The words left her extremely curious, black tipped ears pricking in his direction as he soon acknowledged them both and began to speak again, except in a language they could understand. Smiling gently she listened to his very round about answer. She found it to be rather endearing. She suddenly wanted to listen to him speak in that language for hours, to watch those mismatched eyes move and watch her as she would try and imitate his tongue, to feel how it felt when it left her mouth.

Her attention was snapped back to the other man, who was speaking as if they had never met before, and she thought perhaps she had mistaken him for someone else. Or maybe her desire to try and remember everyone from her former home was making her imagine things she didn't actually know. Clearing her throat she smiled to the man named Mesec, before also nodding in agreement to his words. Finally, someone who wasn't trying to play the salesman pitch. Though it didn't seem that poor Arihari didn't have much choice, as it was just them two, unless for some reason he would want to join her in the lands of lonership. Even she didn't always enjoy such a lifestyle.

Finally taking the time to acknowledge the smaller stallion once again, she met his beautiful eyes with her own painfully normal hazel ones, speaking much more kindly to him,"I'm afraid Sir Arihari that I currently don't have a homeland to offer to you, but should you ever need some company in your travels; I would be happy to join you! Perhaps we can discuss that beautiful melody you were humming earlier; please let me know if I'm asking too much, but is that your home language?" She certainly hoped she wasn't crossing a barrier, because she honestly just wanted to get to know him better, and where he had come from. She let a cheerful smile remain, wanting to keep this conversation light. Despite it becoming harder and harder to keep the facade up that she was all sunshine and rainbows, she pressed on like everything was just fine. These two didn't need to experience her problems, for they had their own, and obviously this was the worst time for her to lose her grip. Yet with each passing day it was slipping further and further from her, her sanity that was, and she was trying less and less to keep it next to her.

Perhaps her meeting with a clearly betrayed Laume didn't help. She was still lost in her thoughts, most likely her mind glazed over, and she hoped they hadn't notice and instead she looked to the patched stud expectantly, hoping that he would decide what he'd like to do. It was obvious he might just simply head to the Edge and leave it at that, but then why was it that somewhere deep inside she was hoping that he would change his mind and decide to follower her after all? Just for the hell of it. Because then maybe then she wouldn't feel so empty inside as she headed to her makeshift nest hidden in the wilds. Laume hadn't slept with her for months, because she hadn't known where she was the entire time, and she didn't know if she felt entirely guilty about that yet. She supposed somewhere she did, but right now her mind was so muddled with self-hatred and a desperation to feel alive again after the loss of Quilyan that she wasn't thinking very clearly about anything anymore. She had begun to accept this was her new way of thinking.

"Talk."

the butterfly is proof that great darkness
can create great beauty

OOC: Sorry Myrrine kinda just did a thing. All you need to read are the two middle paragraphs if you don't wanna deal with her rambling. @Mesec
Any force is permitted aside from death or maiming
PLEASE TAG ME IN POSTS! :3