the Rift

[OPEN] wanderlust [patrol]

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

His last seasonal patrol had proved to be a monumental failure. The ones he was supposed to be patrolling with hadn't turned up, leaving him to try and pick up the slack alone. That was far from easy, and the leviathan had found himself heading back home with a great feeling of disappointment in the pit of his stomach. He is hoping that this season's patrolling partners will prove to be a lot more proactive than his last ones.

He is fond of the labyrinthine forest that lurks in Helovia's eastern depths. In the shadowy green cathedrals, the leviathan can lose himself. He can become a boy again, king of the forest, lord of everything he touches. The snow-encrusted trees beckon to him, their arms open to him, easily absorbing his colossal size as he marauds through the sea of emerald and white. There's a glint of red and gold as his dragons soar alongside him, diving above and below the branches with agility their mammoth bonded can only dream of. They enjoy the forest too; there's a whole feast spread out below them, for them to pick through at their convenience.

Volterra isn't quite sure what he's looking for during these patrols. Resources, he assumes - herbs and metals, things to keep and trade as the Throat sees fit. Perhaps he's looking for information too, telltale signals of other life in the depths of this forest, predators or prey that they should avoid or examine at their leisure. Whatever it is they're looking for, the leviathan only prays that he is not alone in his searching as he was last time.

His heavy, powerful trot slows to an active walk as he slips between the trees, and he gives a series of whickers to call out for his fellow patrollers.

V O L T E R R A
I'M LIVING LIKE A LANDMINE WAITING TO EXPLODE
I'M TICKING LIKE A TIME BOMB READY TO GO

drawing: chan <3

Dragon's Throat seasonal patrol for @Valdis , @Vastra , @Vinati !

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Vastra Posts: 58
Dragon's Throat Filly
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16.3 wfg :: 1 year
Sarah

This was to be Vastra’s first patrol and there was no way she was going to miss it. Not that she had not seen pieces of Helovia here and there in her own travels but there might just be someone interesting enough in her group that could teach her something, right? Or they would go somewhere new! Actually, the name of the place they were supposed to visit was entirely foreign to Vastra and she really wasn’t even sure how she was supposed to get there if she didn’t even know where there was.

Luckily, a large black horse she recognized from the herd meeting was on the same patrol and he was easy to track. She followed him for a while but hadn’t quite been able to catch up, what with her tendency to get distracted along the way, but eventually she would spot him again and hurry along so that she would not completely lose him and utterly fail at her first Official Throat Activity. Although she did not really have any interest in the workings of the herd at the moment, she detested the idea of failure - even for something she did not sign up for.

Soon, she was enveloped in a world of green - so startlingly different from her home in the Throat that she forgot all about the patrol. Her soft nose touched the leaves of the bamboo plants, investigating them as her ears twitched with the sounds of strange animals.

But then she heard a sound she recognized, the whicker of a horse, and she wondered if it was the stranger she had followed here. Moving slowly, the red dun filly moved through the odd forest until she spotted him again.

Torn between the desires to “patrol” and to explore, she stumbled awkwardly out and paused when she was sure she was visible. Her wings were striped, a lingering token of the turkey she had turned into while helping some odd foxes do some herding. She ruffled those wings a little bit, uncertain about what to say or do next but ultimately deciding to settle on something simple.

“Hello.”

come on, come on
put your hands into the fire

Valdís Posts: 24
Dragon's Throat Filly
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 1 year
dark
tie a rope around your neck,
and let me kick you off a bungee
My first patrol is with two absolute strangers and the man Momma has deemed my father ("Volterra," she tells me, "seems like a nice man. He aided Sikeax in a time of need. I'm grateful for that. He's good to his children, so I've heard.") But what of me? Was I not a child worthy of his affections? ("Why hasn't he spent time with me then Momma?" A pause, the piecing together of valuable information. "Because I'm different?") I've never felt the air shift so suddenly, to have Momma's entire body stiffen, and a silence shroud the space between us. She never answered me, instead refusing to acknowledge my question and letting it slide away, desperate to let it die in the sands as we made our way towards the Oasis.

And even as I headed towards the location of my patrol (towards the location of my father), I mulled over the question. Her lack of an answer threw me off, made me think that perhaps it was true, that I was just a disgrace to him - a mutilated child to turn away from and ignore (to pretend I did not exist at all), to convince himself that his sperm could never take part in the creation of something so cruelly formed. A hideousness that spread out from the searing wounds that sprawled across my face, the many cuts and bruises that flowered over my body (I could feel them all, stinging and calling for my attention with every step, hissing at the crisp Frostfall air that numbed them). A gruesome existence that was woven tightly from the destruction of a newborn, with grotesque wings and a face so smelly and sickening not even the Sun Physician could change the bandages without gagging. And Momma could never face me - wouldn't dare fess up to her crimes, to plead guilty to the mutilation of her own child. But I have learned to love her still, perhaps not so thoroughly as many children may love their mothers, but enough.

I had almost forgotten that there was another involved in my creation, that Momma did not produce me alone ("I - it was never anything serious, you have to understand that I was - lost - struggling with some things. This does not mean I don't want you or regret having you, but it wasn't exactly my intentions either.") And as she spoke I nodded along, passing off her flurry of unsure words and letting her learn that I don't care (I do care, I do), I wish I'd been left there beside the river, had been abandoned and allowed to waste away (Why did you keep me even after you'd ruined me so thoroughly? What do you gain from loving a crippled child?). Every night the thoughts creep in, a horror to behold as my entire existence begs for annihilation, absolute destruction of mind and body, the release of an unwilling life - catastrophe in the form of bittersweet acceptance into Death's open arms, a child to be pushed aside and forgotten with the passing of time, to the point where even Momma's body begins to forget that it ever bore a child. The reversal of time, taking her back to where she was foolishly masquerading around, appealing to a man unable to say no to her tempting displays - to tell her to stop while she still can, to save herself a world of pain and rough, raw emotions that tear at the mind and break the soul.

Forget me, for there will never be a need for a broken child. Not to fight, not to prosper among the rankings of healer, of crafter, of diviner - a useless object set aside "I'll find something to do with it eventually," but the years will pass and still it will sit there, drowning beneath layers of junk and dust, reduced down to nothing after years of disuse.

Sameira leads the way, spine ablaze with fiery red flickers as she travels through a winding path of trees, her steps swift and steady - absolute silence (not a bark or a playful yip, no childish games today), for she senses the sinking pit forming in my gut, opening wide to eat away all of my emotions. It devours them like they're foreign delicacies, taking the time to savour them while I helplessly watch each and every feeling fall away - there's nothing left for me as I spy Volterra's hefty figure accompanied by another child (his? A sibling I don't know about?) weaving through the labyrinth, numbed and careless as I plow through bushes and branches to reach the sturdy figure sticking out against the blues and purples of the landscape (it's freezing here, I hate it).

I have to hastily trot to keep shoulder to shoulder to the behemoth beside me, Sameira turning to me and nodding her head before sprinting off to search for food or herbs, whatever it is Momma asked her to get. But I can see that she's still lingering just at the edge of my vision, slowing significantly to walk out of sight - her heat signature is far less clear, but still present (her body temperature is extreme, she's constantly blazing red no matter how cold it may be) within my vision. I don't know how to address my father (father sounds too formal, papa seems too casual considering I've never formally spoken to him - dad seems far too awkward), instead choosing not to say anything about his relations to me and skipping straight to herd business instead. "Is it just us three?" The other child I could easily forget all about, head angling to catch a glimpse of her petite wings, perfectly shaped - I wiggle mine and find that it's nearly impossible, feeling nothing scrape against the skin and tug at the feathers as I move through the labyrinth.

Vinati Posts: 42
Outcast
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16.0 hh :: 6 months (ages in Tallsun)
ChaoticMelodies

”Four, I think.” The distant voice comes from an approaching filly of the sands, a whimsical creature born of fire and crystal who rarely ventured beyond the boundaries of the Dragon’s Throat. Vinati was not against adventuring, but she had found that there was much to be learned still about the desert sands upon which she had been raised. Until she had discovered the secrets of her home, she was content to contain her exploration to the island – or she had been until Aithniel had ascended to the throne and sent them, foals and all, out on patrol.

She hadn’t given the change in leadership much thought, nor had she dwelled for long on the thought of being send to scout the Wilds. It was different, to be sure, but different did not mean bad. After all, there was much to be gained from having eyes and ears across Helovia, particularly now that the strange Kisamoa had appeared. The girl thought that his intentions were good – he hadn’t given them any reason to doubt that – but the adults were suspicious all the same. Perhaps one day, when she was older and better versed in the darkness of the world, she would understand their concerns. For now, though, her universe was one of lazy days and cheerful companionship, and somewhere deep in her soul she knew she needed to hold onto these times, for they would one day pass.

The girl smiled at her newfound companions as she drifted dreamily into their midst. How the Gladiator of their herd (a rather large, hulking beast of a man) had managed to get assigned three children as his patrolling partners, she could not hazard a guess. Perhaps their Sultana had merely wanted to make sure the foals – of which Vinati seemed to be the youngest – would be well-supervised. Either way, the little sand princess offered a question, genuine curiosity on her youthful features. ”What do patrols look for, exactly?”

"Talk."

@Volterra

Vitani Posts: 92
Dragon's Throat Mare atk: 3.5 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: Three Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Sarabi :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Emily
Vitani the Reckless

I am so thankful not to have to deal with herd life. The relaxation of just being able to do what I want when I want... Well a girl could get used to this. I seem to of taken up this labyrinth as home for now. Sarabi and I would move on when we saw fit to move elsewhere. Most certainly it would not be to a herd. We were enjoying the chance to sleep in, that is until Sarabi's sleep was disturbed by the sound of voices and hooves. She was awake first, moving around and making sure of how close the voices were. That's when she began to wake me. Which wasn't hard to do since I had started to wake the moment she stood up.

”What do patrols look for, exactly?” My ears pricked up as Sarabi turned toward where the voice came from.. The patrol had come dangerously close to where we like to sleep. So I think it's time that I step out and steer them away. I had only heard the three female voices. "Patrols look for anything useful for the herd." As I step out, my eyes meet his. Sarabi's fur stands on end, as she still does not care for Volterra. She doesn't growl only because of the presence of the fillies. But I, well I respect the way he sees things. I won't pretend that I don't wish he'd want me and only me. But... "Are you four on a patrol?" I ask softly. I am still staring at Volterra, as last I knew he was an outcast like I am. Now he's out on a herd patrol?

"speech here"

short quote
Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Image by semper

(ooc: yep, shes totally gonna crash the thread of all V's)

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

To the Indomitable's delight, he is not alone for long. The one who approaches him is young, a filly who looks to be a handful of seasons old. Too young to be patrolling, the leviathan thinks, although he does suppose that it's best to get them started early. He will have to ensure that he looks after her, and returns her safely to their herd once the patrol is over.

Hello, she says, and the black colossus gives what he hopes is a reassuring smile. "Greetings. I'm Volterra, the Gladiator." She probably already knows this, but Volterra thinks it only polite to make sure.

The next arrival is much more familiar, and a warm grin spreads across his handsome features. There's a small hint of sadness in his crimson gaze as he looks upon his damaged daughter, so cruelly mutilated by some savage beast who preyed upon her shortly after her birth. Volterra's failure to protect her still rankles with him, and every time he looks at her he's reminded of his own shame. Still, he loves her dearly, and has vowed to help her live as full a life as he possibly can. "Valdis," comes the loving murmur, his gruff voice soft and gentle as he seeks to press his nose affectionately against her shoulder. With her ruined eyes and wings, her life will never be as full as the unrelated filly who stands beside them, yet Volterra will ensure that none dare ridicule her for her disability. He will end any who do.

Their entourage is still not complete, as a slightly older filly also adds her presence to their group. She's winged as well, and the Indomitable's shoulders are suddenly conspicuous in their nakedness. It has not escaped his notice that he's one of very few none-pegasi in the Throat, and he thinks that is a large part of the reason why they're so suspicious towards him. Heights make him quiver, but in times like these he half-wishes he had a magnificent pair of feathered appendages to help him fit in, to cast him into the heavens and witness Helovia from above. It's a quick fantasy, though, and one that soon disappears.

There's also a delicious irony to the situation that isn't lost on Volterra. He, sire of so many, has been assigned to patrol with three children. What a baptism of fire for the unwitting father! Determination lances through his heart - it is up to him to defend these three young girls from any threats that may befall them, and he will perform the task with flying colours.

The newest arrival asks what patrols should look for, and the stallion shrugs his massive shoulders. "I assume we are to hunt for resources, possible plants or metals that we can take home to help the herd." Volterra wouldn't know a useful plant if it bit him on the ass, though, so this will be far from easy.

In a rustle of foliage, another arrives to echo his sentiments. "Vitani," he rumbles, surprised. He remembers his previous meeting with the mare, and casts a careless glance towards her dog - in his mind, his dragons bristle in preparation to dive in should the hound show aggression towards him again. "Aye, we are patrolling. Would you care to join us?" The more the merrier, after all, and she may know some good places for them to begin their search.

V O L T E R R A
I'M LIVING LIKE A LANDMINE WAITING TO EXPLODE
I'M TICKING LIKE A TIME BOMB READY TO GO

drawing: chan <3

@Vinati

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]