the Rift

Endings and Beginnings

Scheherazade Posts: 5
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 :: 2
eclair

She dreamt about stars, again. Stars blinking out one by one until there was nothing left but a deep and familiar dark that swallowed her whole. She was beginning to think that dreaming had a learning curve when you haven’t done it in a while.

The wintry pre-dawn was listlessly grey, shrugged off by the forest in favor of the night. Blinking against the weak light, Scheherazade turned her good eye to examine the smoke and iron trees around her. It was quiet in the way that forests are never quiet, the dead sounds of splitting ice and falling snow, softness pure and gleaming bringing whole trees to the ground. The relief she had for many days found in the presence of solitude was growing dull, or rather restless, knowing that this state could not continue and therefore weary for its end. This was why she had come after all: endings, which was just another word for beginnings.

She had felt it when she arrived, the way you felt a storm approaching, the way something whispered against her mind you have gone far enough, you have finally gone far enough. Charged by this promise, the blue roan stretched her sleep-stiff legs into a steady pace, leaving cloven divots in the snow behind her.

As the sky lightened, the trees began to thin in number yet broaden in size. The diameter of some in this part of the forest were greater than the length of her from end to end, and she often had to skirt their bulk to maintain her course. Looking up and up into their barren heights she felt her throat constrict in the presence of so huge a life, more than once pressing a tender touch to their ruddy bark as she passed. The sun was now spilling white and gold between the trees, sparkling on the snow piled in the open spaces there. She closed her eye and turned her face into the meager warmth, vowing this moment, this place, to memory.

Without being able to identify exactly where it started, a feeling of happiness welled up inside her, surging and tugging like a tide between her ribs. She sucked in quick breaths of the stinging winter air to nourish her skipping heart, and its beat was undeniable to the rest of her. Plunging forward, she half-leapt, half-ran through the iced-over dunes, forced to dive erratically as the snow surpassed her knees. Gasping, euphoric, she didn’t stop until her legs were trembling from cold and exertion, perspiration chilling across her skin.

Slowly, and with more than due consideration, she righted herself. Her shaking legs placed and replaced themselves beneath her straightening spine. Her body was grounded, but her heart felt raw- an abused and reactionary thing curled up in some corner of her chest too dangerous to touch. Not for the first time she wondered if it was always such a horrible thing to feel so fully. Or if, like dreaming, she had forgotten how to do it right.

I am dedicated
To the same baffled heart I have always carried.

SCHEHERAZADE
The diamonds and mud of my mouth.

ooc: i haven't written in a year and this felt like wading through mud. forgive me.

Kiada Posts: 181
World's Edge Nurse
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 2 years - Birdsong
Khairi :: Leucistic Lammergeier :: Paralyze Skylark
Kiada

It had already been a long winter. Constantly stuck in the confining area of the World’s Edge. Finally, today, after such a long time, the filly managed to escape, using her companion as a means of being her eyes. He alerted her to those passing by or checking on her, and especially when her mother had finally managed to leave to deal with some things. The fiery filly was upset, missing her twin brother, and eager to stretch her legs. So what was another trip to the Threshold? It was simple, even if she got into trouble she’d either managed to get someone to return to the Edge with her, or she could lie and say she had been fetching herbs for the greenhouse. She always had her excuses, and Khairi (the bearded vulture companion that sat comfortably perched upon her withers) always knew how to help her tell those lies.

While Kiada wasn’t too interested in gathering herbs and learning, when she did manage to slip out from under her parent’s nose, Khairi would pick up a few things here and there that they had learned about, keeping them tucked in his talons in an effort to prove the story true. It’s not like she’d used it yet, however. During her time in the World’s Edge, she’d only slipped away once to the Threshold despite being crowned its champion for the Aurora Basin the season prior. Nevertheless, the filly was restless, almost a year old, and itching for adventure. Her ink dipped hooves took her and Khairi diligently through the icy snow as morning arrived, painting the sky in golds and whites reminiscent of the child’s mother, but more importantly her brother.

Suddenly, a scent hit both her and Khairi’s senses. It was something unfamiliar and intriguing, and Kiada wondered if the threshold was really piling with people by now. She had remembered the faint scents of trails prior, but something about this one seemed fresh. Eagerly, the child turned her course and headed in the direction of the unknown. As she arrived, she was quick to notice the unfamiliar creature that stood with shaking legs, and Kiada tilted her head slightly – though still rather hidden among the brush that garnered droves of Frostfall’s winter.

A few moments passed before Khairi nudged her with his broad slate beak, as if to ask “what are you waiting for” in his impatience that bounded through the bond. A soft sigh slipped through her nose as she nodded her ashen head to him, turning her oceanic orbs to the newcomer. Her hooves took the child through the brush, the flames that danced along her spine morphed into various different creatures – mostly deer (perhaps slightly reminiscent of the mare’s own set of antlers) but paired with a lion that dotted her topline. Clearing her throat, aiming to not frighten the mare if she hadn’t heard the filly’s approach, a smile found its way onto her pink splotched lips – her ivory masked face aimed at the woman as she began. “Hello! Welcome to Helovia.” Her voice was growing deeper with age, but still carried the hint of youth. “My name’s Kiada, and this is Khairi, and we’re from the World’s Edge. Is there anything I can help you with?” The filly made a small notion toward the vulture that sat upon her withers, crooning a hello as he was introduced while his blood red gaze danced across the mare briefly.

"Talk."

img || coding by Smitty <3

Welcome to Helovia! :D @Scheherazade Would you like to be tagged?
Also, Khairi (Kiada's companion) is a white bearded vulture. She also has passive magic that create flames along her spine that take the shape of various animals, in case any of it was confusing <3

IT'S SAID SHE'S MADE OF STORM CELLS
AND A WILD WOLF'S HUNGRY HEART,
THAT SHE'S LEARNT THE LIGHTNING'S SECRET
TO RIPPING DARKENED SKIES APART.

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra

Life, as far as she could tell, was nothing but a giant learning curve. She’d been happy in her old life, she had learned how to sing her siren song, had learned to lure unsuspecting travelers to the depths of the ocean, had learned to travel the world without worry. Until life ripped all that right away from her. And so here she is, learning how to live all over again. She was good at being a siren. She is terrible at being a mortal horse. It is nothing something she learns well, perhaps because she still does not want to learn. She wants to return to her old life, wants to return to her old powers, her old self. She wants all the things she cannot have.

Ah, but doesn’t everyone?

Instead, she tries. Poorly, but she tries, getting slightly better with each passing day. Slowly, those days turn to seasons, turn to years, as they are wont to do. How many miserable, freezing Frostfalls has she spent in this hellhole? Too many, yet here she is for another with no plans of leaving. Leaving does not return her powers, but staying gives her hopes of gaining a few of them back. The power Helovia offered was nothing, compared to what she could once do, but it was better than nothing.

Today, she finds herself restless. The pools of the Falls are beginning to ice over, and even she finds them too cool to laze about in all day. So she leaves, wandering toward the Threshold as if she has any business in the Threshold. Not because she doesn’t have a home to offer others, but because she’s entirely incapable of small talk or anything else that’s expected of her in the Threshold (or anywhere else, really). Maybe today would be the day for that lesson.

It’s early morning, the sun bright and somewhat warming, casting a golden glow through the trees of the Threshold. She pauses for a moment, closing her eyes, trying to think of all the conversations she’d mainly ignored here, trying to think of what they say, how they say it. Trying to remember what she might say, once upon a time when she’d cared enough to impress anyone. This was something she could be better at. Life, in general, was something she simply had to get better at.

After a moment, she dives further into the trees. It is quiet in the way winter always is, the snow-covered ground muffling the sounds of life. The trees are devoid of birds, all gone south or to some other land entirely for the winter. The silence makes the sound of a voice that much more obvious. A child’s voice, it sounds like, and Syrena instantly thinks of Bathsheba. She hadn’t seen the girl in quite some time, a thought that she finds actually makes her slightly sad.

The realization almost stops her in her tracks. Sad? What the hell is that. Sad? Maybe she is learning. Just not in the way she wants to. Why is she worried about a child she only knows from a few meeting?

Shaking her head, she keeps moving, dragging her feet and legs through the snow. Swirls of blue, purple and greens mark her legs as the snow melts against her warm body, and like always, she is pleased to be something other than gray. Before long, she finds a blue mare and a buckskin girl with fire dancing along her back. Syrena watches for a moment too long, the fire taking shapes of deer and lions and various other creatures. Well, wasn’t that different. Probably more exciting than color changing (it may be a parlor trick, but Syrena does love her parlor trick anyway). She arrives in time to catch the filly’s introduction, and finds she has little to add. What would someone else say here? but she has no answer to that. Instead, she nods, trying to a smile that may or may not actually look like a smile, but it hopefully brings a bit of warmth to her otherwise emotionless face. Her voice is still mostly deadpan when it comes, but there’s a sing-song quality to it that again, helps make her seem slightly less dead. “Syrena, from the Hidden Falls. Are you okay?” Because even graceless, tactless Syrena can see the girl is shaking and restless, though she has no idea why.

les words "chat chat"

Syrena

let the water take me

image credits

@Scheherazade

Also @Kiada, because they totally need to compare useless passive magic ;)

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli

Outcast
eclair

The roan’s dark head jerked slightly higher as her ears snapped toward the sound of shifting foliage. Impaired as she was by the absence of one eye - firmly closed over an empty socket, bedecked with delicate scars that belied the violence of the act - she had a tendency to process her other senses with an urgency. She turned her right eye toward the sound first for a quick inspection before her body followed suit, completing a neat semi circle to face the new arrival.

There were enough striking details to the filly’s person that the fact of her youth was actually what Scheherazade processed last. Her gaze settled with concern on the large bird perched comfortably on the unicorn’s shoulders, a fleeting look of revulsion twisting her features before settling on something closer resembling skeptical acceptance. Birds, especially those so… well-equipped didn’t sit well with her. While she was glad the vulture had at least not taken flight, she found it’s round, bloodshot eyes unsettling enough that she carefully avoided them.

Sher’s curious gaze quickly had another occupation, namely that of the unnatural flames that crested along the unicorn’s back. Her head cocked slightly to the side, more bemused by this discovery than she had been by the vulture. The girl was introducing herself now, and Sher realized that she had been struck quite dumb by the encounter so far. The burn of her tired muscles reminded her of the undesired rise and crash of her emotions from moments prior, and in her mind she was watching the actions of a stranger. Frustration was turning circles inside her, but there was no time for reflection now, her attention fixed on the girl - Kiada - and what she had to say.

He- hello.” Hearing Kiada speak, it finally sank in how young the girl was. Surely shy of her first year, although destined for greater height than Sceherazade if her current stature was any indication. Still, the young mare’s brow pulled together in concern, wondering if this filly was far from her home, knowing too well how the young can be exploited. Kiada seemed sure of herself however, a trait that Sher could admire, benignly envious of the child’s self-reliance at such an age. As she paused to consider her next words, a soft smile pulled at her eyes and lips and never quite left as she continued to speak. “I don’t know… I--” A pearly exhale left her as she puzzled over her answer. What did she want, really? And how could words encompass it? “I’m starting over, I guess. Can you help me with that?” Her words were not merely polite, but kind- an exception Kiada had won from her in the span of a few sentences.

Sher hadn’t met anyone in so long that she was all-too-easily distracted- too distracted, in fact, to notice the second arrival just beyond her blind spot until the hooffalls drew close. Her charcoal and ivory face jerked hard to the left, her body freezing in place. Control featured heavily in her sense of self-preservation, always somewhere between fight or flight. Something closer to watch and learn. Her eye blinked wide, watching the dark mare with baited breath before the mild words slipped out, pretty but not much else. Syrena, from the Hidden Falls. Are you okay?

I’m fine.” The words sounded clipped, even to her own ears. Admittedly, she did probably look a mess: mane in disarray, the sheen of freezing sweat still visible. Her trembling had yet to subside because - damn it - it wasn’t getting any warmer. Not to mention she was about as jumpy as a hare, her heart beating in fits and starts. Inwardly, she cringed. So much for control. How many times can she disappoint and confuse herself in one day? “Thank you,” she offered with more gentility, after a pause that exposed her unease. She passed her gaze over the dark mare’s form, intrigued by its wet appearance in the heart of winter, but chalked it up to the peculiarities that this land seemed to offer up in spades. Fire or water, Scheherazade could appreciate magic’s bizarre attributes from a wary distance.

Adjusting her position so that she could see both women at once, Sher’s focus slid slowly from Syrene, looking at Kiada as she wrapped up her own belated introduction. “My name’s Scheherazade… but you can call me Sher.

I am dedicated

SCHEHERAZADE

@Kiada Yes, please tag me! :D
@Syrena So sorry, I was about to post my reply when I saw you had just posted yours D: Sorry if I messed up Syrena's timing by tacking her on at the end there

World's Edge Nurse
Kiada

Of course they weren’t alone for long. Soon after Kiada’s initial introduction, another joined the unique group. Glancing sideways, Kiada’s gaze landed on a grey mare that had color sprouting from the places where her pelt was wet. It was interesting for the filly, to see something that could potentially be just as useless as the flames that lined her spine. She offered the mare a small smile briefly before turning her attention back to the mare – now finally noticing the scarred over socket of her eye where the eye seemed to be missing. Oh, it was getting even more interesting now.

I’m starting over, I guess. Can you help me with that?” She listened to the mare speak, ivory rimmed ears perking to listen closer as Khairi’s gaze soon landed on Syrena. As the roan introduced herself and her name, answering to the greyed woman of the Falls, she offered a nod and a smile. “Yes, I can help with that!” She announced clearly, definitely certain in her abilities to try and recruit strangers. “The place I’m from is east from here – a bit of a trek, but we’ll pass by Syrena’s home on the way there. We live among the cliffs, where mists shrouds the land but there’s a beautiful view of the ocean.” Her voice grew to inhabit a tone of reminiscing, fond of her new home but still trying to sell it as much as possible.

She allowed a few moments to pass, to allow Syrena the chance to speak of her home before continuing. “We have many things open there for jobs and stuff. There’s lots of people too – come to think of it I think our Glazier and you might get along!” She added in, refraining from speaking of the grotesque scarred mare that crafted glass in the Edge, refraining from trying to make sure she didn’t offend the roan mare. “It’s up to you though, if you’d rather see Syrena’s home you can, but we’d be surely glad to have you too!” Another brilliant milky smile was sent toward the mare’s direction as Khairi smoothed his feathers, wrapping his wings around his body tightly among the snow.

"Talk."

@Syrena @Scheherazade <333 it's not great, I'm a bit buzzed right now so I apologize! Just wanted to get this sup to speed things along :D <3

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra

Always the wrong thing. It’s got to be a skill, like a legit talent, to always say the wrong thing. Even when she’s trying. Even when she’s pretending she cares, she manages to say the wrong thing. So why, then, does she bother? It’s a great question. Why bother? What the bloody hell is the point of any of this crap?

Nothing. Nothing nothing nothing.

She needs a new voice in her head. Her own is beginning to get far too miserable and cynical even for her. After a moment, the mare offers a thank you. Thankfully, Syrena’s face remains as placid as ever, not giving away the internal monologue that would have turned from self-loathing to loathing this mare in about five more seconds. Because seriously, it wasn’t her fault this mare looked like hell. Syrena was just trying to be nice. Screw that nonsense.

But she keeps her mouth shut, always best as silence anyway. The stranger introduces herself, and the overzealous filly with the flaming back takes over the conversation. Maybe Syrena should mind, but she doesn’t, content to let the little girl do the bulk of the talking. The girl pauses momentarily, and it seems like Syrena is supposed to talk here. She would have just let the filly keep going, but she’s pretty sure she’s supposed to say something about the Falls now.

“The Hidden Falls is what it sounds like, some hidden waterfalls and rivers and pools nestles in a mountain. It’s lovely, if you care about that sort of thing. Syrena does not care that it is lovely. She cares that is has water. Lots of water. It’s somewhat quiet, but there are plenty of jobs if you want one, or plenty of places to rest your head while you figure out what you want.”

She stops there, having said more than she likes, and the filly continues, adding a bit more about the Edge and offering both the Falls and the Edge as a home. Well, that pretty much takes care of all of it, which is fine by her. Though she adds, “You can always stop at the Falls, see what you think, and leave if you want to head to the Edge.” Hell, she’d probably even be willing to show the mare the way. It’s not like she’s here to find captives. Willing habitants of the Falls were what they needed.

les words "chat chat"

Syrena

let the water take me

image credits

@Scheherazade @Kiada

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli

Outcast
eclair

Sher’s brows lifted, intrigued, as Kiada answered her question with enthusiasm. She listened intently, hungry for every detail that could guide her course, help her make the right decision. Oh, how she wanted to make the right decision. World’s Edge came together in her mind as a hastily assembled puzzle (cliffs, mists, ocean) that was beautiful, if incomplete. She truly did admire the child for her confidence, and her ability to speak fervently about her home, which she clearly loved. What did Scheherazade have to say that she could speak in such a way about? I saved myself by leaving. It’s the only thing I own.

Her head turned slightly to direct her attention to Syrena, while keeping both emissaries within sight. Her description of the Hidden Falls sounded just as foreign and lovely as the Edge, and she began to wonder just how large Helovia was. She nodded silently as the gray mare traded off with Kiada, the conversation juggling respectfully between them. She was withholding comment until both had spoke their peace, hoping that the information she was gathering would lend itself to a viable solution, a clear and sensible path. Privately, she feared the opposite. As both women spoke, so very different from herself and each other, she was reminded of how far she had come- and how far she had to go. She was afraid to lose ground through a foolish mistake. She was afraid of screwing up.

Both of your homes sound lovely,” she finally replied, unsure of what else to say. They had both offered her the promise of a job, a thought that was particularly appealing to her current lack of purpose. She wasn’t at all sure of what kind of job would suit her (and she didn’t even know what a Glazier was), but surely finding a niche that appealed to her would go a long way toward becoming… something. Anything.

Syrena’s offer pulled the unicorn’s consideration to her once more, her expression blank in thought. She was beginning to think that the freedom to make her own choices and the pressure to choose right were two edges of a very sharp sword, and Syrena had just eased it a little farther from her throat. She exhaled softly, grateful for the offer to visit both places, even if the option had never really been off the table, it was good to hear it said. “Thank you, I like that idea.” She flashed the older mare a small smile that conveyed her appreciation. She glanced between her company, appealing for consensus. “The Falls are between here and the Edge, yes? I think I’d like to see Syrena’s home, and then yours of course, if that’s okay.” She nodded at the peculiar little filly, knowing that her curiosity would never let her hear the end of it if she didn’t see where she came from.

Her expression sobering further, she added in almost a whisper, “I’ve missed out on so much. I don’t want to miss any more.

I am dedicated

SCHEHERAZADE

@Kiada @Syrena So I guess we can wrap up after your replies, and I can post Sher at the Falls? Kiada can tag along or head home if she feels she needs to :)

World's Edge Nurse
Kiada

The filly was always eager to learn of new things. Despite the welling blackness that continued to grow brilliantly within her small chest, she appreciated the light for what it was worth. Perhaps it was the thing that would keep her somewhat grounded in her future endeavors, however dark the path lead. Trading off the conversation between Syrena and herself, Kiada was beginning to feel so sure of herself in the words she spoke. She had finally begun to realize the fact that she could talk like adults could, could sway the ideas of another by sheer experience that it was apparently most children lacked.

When Syrena suggested stopping by the Falls, Kiada offered a silent nod in partial agreement. Would that mean she could come too? She hadn’t seen the Hidden Falls before, but she had heard about it. Of course, being a child created all the more ideas of fantasy in places that were out of reach. However, if she had a chaperone, one that Syrena might be able to provide for herself as well as Sheherazade.

Her attention immediately snapped back to the new woman, ears flickering in interest, angling themselves directly at the mare, eager to hear what she had to say. “Both of your homes sound lovely.” She nodded again, softer this time in agreement. The Edge was beautiful, in a mysterious kind of way. That was probably the reason Kiada enjoyed it more than the Basin. It wasn’t as cold, and it held shrouded mysteries that the barren snow covered tips of the Basin didn’t have to offer.

Scheherazade’s next set of words created excitement within the filly’s chest. The animals that danced along her topline began to shift forms, changing from her courageous lions and curious deer to griffons as they pranced and flew across her back, the flames licking against her companion as his attention drew to the black masked filly. “Do you think she’ll let us go too?” With her mind, she asked Khairi of his thoughts. A simple pulse of excitement drawing from the bird’s end of the bond was enough to answer that. And before she could ask, the roan mare’s next set of words caused a small frown to cross her features briefly. It was gone in an instant, but it made an appearance before her ivory lined face turned to Syrena. “Can I come see it too? I’ve never seen the Falls before. I don’t want to have to wait outside the border for however many days.” Her voice was gentle, but filled with so many questions and a hint of hopefulness.

With that, she turned her head back to the roan mare as Khairi chirped in as soothing of a tone as his bone crushing beak would allow. “Oh, you won’t miss anything! Helovia has a funny way of making sure you know if something’s going on.” Kiada assured the mare, offering a soft smile before trailing her azure eyes toward Syrena, hopeful for an answer.

"Talk."

@Scheherazade @Syrena Kiada would love to tag along, if that's okay Kyra! :D