the Rift

[OPEN] Dragon's Doorstep

Areli Posts: 82
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 10 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 hh :: 3 (Birdsong) HP: 65.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Bee :: Grey Wolf :: None Shady
Areli
the flower that smells the sweetest is shy and lowly

Wait here, she said to the wolf. And before Bee could protest, her mistress was gone in a flurry of wings and sand. She barked once, as if Areli would change her mind, but the girl didn’t look back. So, Bee watched until she was a speck on the horizon then lay down in the sand, head between her paws, to await her mistress’ return.

Areli, for her part, wished that Bee was with her. For the last few seasons (and apparently many more than that, given the ones that they had spent, oblivious, in the time bubble), the wolf was all that she’d had. Her mother had vanished, and despite her painstaking search, was nowhere to be found. Her brother was far away in the Throat, and despite their brief reunion, they had been separated in the crowd on the Isles. Loyal Bee had stuck by her side through tears, through shadows in the woods who had tried to pursue and trap her, through the whole exhausting journey. And now she had to leave her on the sand of that godsforsaken beach as she made the nerve-wracking flight across the channel to the Throat to seek out Ilios.

As she flew, the girl tried not to look down. The waves below were choppy and gray, and reminded her too well of the plunge she had once taken into the sea. She still was not a strong flier, and she only made this journey today out of desperation, the need to see a familiar face the driving factor in her perilous trip. Instead, she kept her eyes planted on the horizon, where the desert island that her brother now called home rose out of the ocean.

If the flight had been clumsy, the landing was even worse. She nearly tumbled into the sand—it didn’t help, she supposed, that she had closed her eyes and hoped for the best as soon as the earth had grown closer. From across the channel, she could feel Bee’s fear prick at the back of her mind. M’okay, she called through their bond, though she shook as she brushed the sand from her mud-colored pelt. I made it.

Now to find her brother. Though she did not know much of herd politics, Areli figured that it would be best to wait where she was. The last time she had been here, it had been under Kaj’s protection, and she remembered the flaming bay stallion who had come striding out to meet them. Biting her lip with vague worry, she wondered if the rather primal-looking beast would come again. Though Kaj had greeted him as a friend, his fiery wings and grunting manner of speech had been a little intimidating.

However, she didn’t have much of a choice but to wait, and once again, to hope for the best. So, she collected herself as best as she could and stood in the sand, eyes scanning the shoreline for a patrolling guard or a wandering citizen.

"speech"

OOC: obviously she doesn't live here, so open to anyone, but I was thinking maybe @Ilios and/or @Volterra ?
Image Credits || original coding by Tamme; tweaked by Shady || quote by William Wordsworth

@Volterra c'mon tag
[Image: areli_by_moonstone_designs-d9dgh47.png]
Icon base: Bronzehalo
Please do not tag Areli except in opening posts!

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit
better start believing in yourself

Life continued on as it always did in the wake of travesty - the hours slipping by uncaring of the plights of those trapped in its sandy grip. So he went back to his duties, to the patrols and duties of his rank now that he had no more metal to craft. 

Ilaria has ceased her cold shoulder, after the Prince made up with Megaera and - somewhat - Sohalia. She rides on his withers, a warm solid weight that is familiar to him after all these years of flying together. She braids his mane leisurely as he drifts on the rare benevolent currents high above, letting him scan the oceanside beneath as she busies herself with her new creation. Not that it's truly new - she has braided him over and over again in seemingly hundreds of combinations. It does little to help his feminine countenance, but gender held little importance to the Golden Prince, and he was more of a fan of her creations than the little red panda herself. 

It's the rough landing that draws his attention to the earth below, to the dark figure on the pale sands. A frown pulls at his lips, for he does not recognize her coat color even with an insistent eye. Then look into it, Ilaria chided lazily, batting his newly braided hair with wandering paws. And if Cera swooped a little harshly down to the ocean's shores, well...Ilaria's squawk of playful indignation was lost to the winds, along with Cera's laughter. 

He's still smiling jovially as he lands before her, trotting gracefully towards her with both bright green eyes winking at her cheerily. Now that Mercutio had washed it free, it does not look nearly as bad, and he hopes the remaining closed wounds do not frighten her. Ilaria peeks over his shoulder at her, chittering softly in greeting to try and enforce the friendly atmosphere. 

"Hello, miss. My name is Cera, I am the resident Forger here. How may I assist you?" One wing dipped as he bowed playfully, his spirit light today. Perhaps it would put her at ease as well, with her nervous countenance drawing his eye first and foremost. 

@Areli hope you don't mind if I jump in ._.
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Areli

It was, as it turned out, not the fiery bay who greeted her this time, but a stallion of a rather different countenance. That much she assumed, anyway, watching him trot gracefully towards her across the red sand. He was fairly handsome, with his coat split evenly between patches of honey and cream, but what she noticed were his eyes—they were friendly and alert, and it did much to reassure her. Perhaps he knew of her brother?

When he greeted her with a bow and a smile, she relaxed all the more. Though her heart was still pounding from the flight and from general uncertainty, his tone helped to slow the racing blood in her veins. She bobbed her head back, forelock falling prettily over her golden eyes. While time had turned her into a long-legged young mare, a bud just at the point of blooming, she still felt very much like the shy foal that she had been the last time she had come here. Awkwardly, she cleared her throat. “Hello…” Areli began tentatively, realizing after she had spoken that she did not know in what manner she should address him. “Hello…sir.” Mind your manners! Parelia’s voice rang out in her head, which the girl bobbed again as an attempt at a sort of…polite emphasis? She could almost hear Mama sigh. “I’m Areli,” she began again, head still lowered deferentially. “I don’t live here—well, I suppose you know that, but—please sir—Cera—have you seen my brother? He lives here now, ever since leaving home in the Falls; Ilios is his name. He’s almost your color, but without the white, and his hair’s darker and sticks up more, and his wings are a different—they’re teal, you see, and—“ The words were coming out in a rush, even as something in her throat seemed to stick. “Or have you seen my mother, sir,” she asked through the great and sudden dry sob that cracked her voice and stooped her shoulders. “She doesn’t live here, but I can’t find her, and…and I don’t know where else she might have gone.” The last words were a whisper. She couldn’t bring herself to look up at the kind stranger, not with the tears making tracks in her dusty face and her composure all a mess.

"speech"

OOC: of course not!
Image Credits || original coding by Tamme; tweaked by Shady || quote by William Wordsworth

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

Well, here's a blast from the past if ever there was one.

He'd first met the girl when her mother made him his trusty stone knife, when he was an adolescent vagabond with delusions of grandeur and she was a fluffy child at her dam's hip. Then they'd ran into each other shortly after he hit adulthood, when his rampant desires almost brought him to blows with her brother...ah, he does have a weakness for a pretty lady, and she'd grown up beautifully.

The dragons spot her first, their wheeling cries echoing in the goliath's ears as he trots heavily through the frosty grass. Immediately a wide smirk spreads across his handsome features, his fearsome muscles bulking as his trot flows into a canter. A childhood aquaintance turning up on his doorstep is too good an opportunity to miss, which coaxes a surprising burst of speed out of the blackened monolith.

He's slightly disappointed to see that somebody has already beaten him to greeting Areli, but he masks this unwanted emotion as he slows to a cumbersome walk. "Cera," comes his growling voice, dipping his head to his herdmate. Then his gaze travels to Areli, and a grin spreads lazily across his face. She's grown up nicely, developing into a woman with curves in all the right places. He's vowed to try and curb his rampant libido, but....dammit, he can still look. "You've grown," he remarks with a twinkle in his eye.

The Indomitable's smile fades slightly at the strangled sob that explodes from the winged girl. She's asking after her mother and brother, but Volterra has seen neither, and he's been in the herd two seasons. "I haven't seen your mother or brother here, Areli. I'm sorry." His mouth twists into a saddened frown, thinking of his own dam and sister who he would trade anything to have back.

IF IT FEELS GOOD, TASTES GOOD, IT MUST BE MINE
HEROES ALWAYS GET REMEMBERED BUT YOU KNOW LEGENDS NEVER DIE
image: chan <3

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Areli

In her deference and distress, the girl did not see the dragons circling overhead, nor did she pay any mind to their far-off cries. The telltale flash of red and gold gone unnoticed, it was Volterra’s pounding hoofbeats that announced him. 

When she felt the ground shake, her first instinct was that the battle-scarred bay had come again after all. Hastily, she did her best to collect herself—crying in front of gentle-eyed Cera was embarrassing enough, but she suspected that there would be no room for tears in front of Kaj’s old friend. However, when she saw the black goliath approaching, a new wave of emotions hit her: relief, at the sight of a familiar face, awe, at the giant that her childhood friend had grown into, and something else—a new feeling that she couldn’t quite place, other than the subtle flip of her stomach. ”Volterra!” she cried, forgetting decorum as she launched herself towards him. Something brought her to stop just short of tumbling into him, as she would have at their last encounter, but she was grinning broadly all the same. Volterra knew Ilios; surely he would have seen him if he called this place home as well.

“Cera,” the young stallion grunted, greeting his honey-colored herd member first. Areli, realizing her faux-pas, looked back at the stranger she had just abandoned, her expression one of clear chagrin. Months spent alone had roughened her around the edges a bit, something that would have been much to Parelia’s horror, but her mother couldn’t exactly fault her for it—she had been looking for her. Thoughts of Parelia quickly vanished, however, when the red eyes turned to look at her again. “You’ve grown,” Volterra commented. She averted her golden gaze even as she replied softly, “You too.”

Unfortunately, her happiness—or whatever it was—was short-lived. Her old friend had seen neither Ilios nor her mother, and she felt the desperation well up again in her throat like a rising tide. “B-but…he lives here,” Areli stuttered, trying to fight the glistening tears and their sudden return. “If he’s left…” her voice trailed off. If Ilios no longer lived here, where had he gone? Did he live on the Isles with Parelia, where she had last seen him? Somehow, she found it hard to believe, for she had searched those islands for days before he had turned up in the crowd around the sea monster. The Throat had been her hope; she had been so sure that she would find him here. He would know what to do about their mother. He would take care of her—he always had. But with her family gone, vanished into thin air it seemed, and her own herdland far away across the sea, the girl felt utterly alone.

“What do I do?” she whispered, looking from stallion to stallion.

"speech"

OOC: sorry for skipping, just want to keep this moving along for timeline purposes! feel free to jump back in whenever!

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit
better start believing in yourself

What nervousness had existed in her countenance did not fully dissipate even with his charming disposition. He doesn't let it disappoint him, because he can understand her nerves. It isn't easy, being so young and alone, searching for answers and appealing to those with an entire war base at their back. Standing on the outskirts of a foreign land and hoping for a friendly face. 

He can give her that, at least.

She is far too stiff and respectful for her age, and he can tell she is too nervous and upset to really mean any honorific that may fall from her lips. Cera smiles comfortingly, eyes warm and stance soft. He won't underestimate her, for a wolf can fit within any sheep's wool, but he will not doubt her either. "No need for the sir," he laughs softly, brushing away the unnecessary respectful term. 

And then she's off, words blubbering from her mouth like a fountain, and he just sits and listens. Nodding gently, patient and attentive. It must be a foal thing, he thinks fondly, recalling the lightning girl he'd found in the island range. But he can't help the soft frown that pulls at his lips at her predicament - at her tale of a missing mother, just like the other young girl. It's a ridiculous, unforgivable act of betrayal. To leave a child...

Before he can speak, the large black form approaches, and Cera gives a bewildered glance at the terse greeting. He dips his cranium in greeting nonetheless, though he returns the stiffness. Equivalent exchange, he supposes. Um...okay? he thinks dimly. Ilaria snorts, and Cera hushes her as Areli runs to greet the goliath, though he can't help but snicker softly under his breath nonetheless. 

Except unlike Volterra, Cera has seen Ilios. 

"You're looking for Ilios, right? I know he's been around, I've seen and talked to him. But I'm afraid I haven't seen him around recently," he mourned softly, frowning lightly as he tried to remember where Ilios had wandered off to. It wasn't his job to keep track of the warriors, that was actually Volterra's job. Do you expect him to do that? Ilaria cackled, and Cera hushed her a second time. She was truly the embodiment of his concealed feelings. 

He feels distinctly uncomfortable, and a little spurned, by the intimate interaction between the other two. He wants to turn and walk away, take his knowledge with him, the same bitterness from the herd meeting lingering in his breast with no real outlet. The Prince's posture is stiff as he stays off to the side, waiting for them to ask him whatever they need of him. But...why should he?

"Ilios is a warrior, so if he isn't reporting for patrols...I'm afraid I can't help unless I wander across him through sheer luck. I'm merely a Forger." Don't be so bitter, it's unattractive, and we don't appear unattractive in front of hunky stallions Ilaria huffed. Cera internally rolled his eyes. He may be hot, but he's certainly no Mercutio, Cera leered arrogantly, and Ilaria promptly dissolved into hysterical laughter. At least that was a sufficient distraction for the insatiable beast. 

With a dip of his cranium he backs up a little, refocusing on the pair before him. "Good luck with your search, Areli. If I see him, I'll let you know. I'll leave you to Volterra's capable command if you need nothing else from me." With a smile he backs up further, wings prepping to take him to the skies and back to his patrol. 

It's fine Cera isn't really needed anyways! I'll just have him depart after they respond, and just have it be done more OOC ;D 

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

His greeting towards Cera hadn't been offhand or terse - his rough rumble of a voice is simply him, and certainly no offense had been meant by it. The smaller stallion looks rather shocked, however, and Volterra spares him what he hopes is a reassuring glance to prove he hadn't meant anything untoward before he looks back to Areli.

Volterra! The young mare's exclamation brings the smallest of smiles to the leviathan's face. She stops just short of colliding with him, but he extends his muzzle to try and blow air softly towards her in greeting. Still, his news cannot be what the mare wants to hear. Cera provides some respite by revealing that Ilios did live here, but hasn't been seen for months. A sad sigh drifts from the Indomitable's nostrils as he looks at Areli, knowing full well how acute the pain of losing a sibling is. At least Nymeria told him she was leaving, but that did not make it hurt any less. Not a day goes by when he doesn't miss her - the bond of siblings is a certain, beautiful kind of unbreakable.

Cera takes his leave, and Volterra finds himself alone with the mare. He can't help the happy little lurch of his heart at this knowledge, the traitorous little twitch of the stallion within. It's hard to deny that he finds the woman attractive, and the savage beast in his stomach gives a contented roar at the idea that it may finally have her here alone. But his rational side - small as it sometimes is - wins out. This is not the time to make any...advances. She is upset, and he will not take advantage of that, no matter how much his deeply-ingrained stallion's instincts tell him to do so.

She asks what she should do now, and Volterra thinks for a moment. "You could...stay here?" he suggests, hope flaring behind those feral crimson eyes. She is a friend of sorts, and it would be good to have her here especially during these turbulent times. Besides, it makes sense. "When Ilios returns - " and he says the words with such conviction, as though he truly knows the mare's brother is going to come back to them (even though he truthfully has no idea) "- he is more likely to come back here, to his home. If you are also here, there's a greater chance of you being reunited." Common sense, he thinks.

"Besides, it would be good to have you around. I serve as the herd's Gladiator, and there's dozens of others here who I'm sure you would get along with."

@Areli

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

Areli

Her question had been asked in a whisper, but her heartbeat sounded like thunder in her ears during the ensuing pause. 

Cera spoke first.

Relief flooded her body at the revelation that the gentle forger had indeed met her brother on these sands, even if he had not been present as of late. Any news regarding Ilios’ whereabouts was good news, for she knew that he wasn’t the type to leave without saying goodbye. If Cera had no knowledge of an official departure, her brother most likely still maintained ties with the desert herd. “Thank you,” she breathed, eyes shining with gratitude. “I-I’m just glad that he was here before. I’m sure he’s just been busy looking for me,” she added. The girl did not want to make excuses for her brother’s absence and the possibility that he was shirking his duties, but she assumed responsibility, at least in part, for his disappearance. Guilt over calling Ilios away from herd life to track her down was a burden much easier to shoulder than the alternative that something was wrong.

The forger soon departed with a promise to keep an eye out for her sibling, leaving Areli alone with her hulking childhood companion. Not having seen him in many seasons, she found herself feeling a little shy and short of words. Unsure of what to say, she scuffed at the sand with a front hoof and waited for him to offer advice of his own. However, his proposition caught her off guard. She had not quite known what she expected the titan to say, but an invitation to stay was not what she had anticipated. Dark lips parted slightly to let pass the shallow exhale. “Stay?” the girl asked. “Here?” She had not meant the question to be rude, careless as her impulsive reaction was. Realizing how it had sounded, she grew slightly flustered and attempted to backpedal. “Not that there’s anything wrong with here—the Throat is…it’s nice, it really is. I just…” Areli paused, golden eyes looking past Volterra to the miles of sand that stretched beyond the pair. Staying would be the logical thing to do, she supposed, and she would be foolish (not to mention terribly rude) to turn down her friend’s offer. And, a little voice prodded, he did say that it would be good to have you around. Yet it seemed odd to call anything other than the Falls home, even if only for the time being. Though she had asked him what to do, it was only when he offered a solution that she knew what she couldn't do. “…what about Bee?” she finally asked, poorly covering her silence. “I’ve left her on the other side of the channel, and I couldn’t do that to her,” she finished lamely. But it still sounded wrong.

“Honestly,” she admitted, biting her lip, “I know it makes sense to stay—and it was terribly kind of you to ask. I’m just a little desperate to go home, because I haven’t been back in ages with all of the searching, and Vol, what if he’s gone there looking for me?”  

"speech"

@Volterra

She seems taken aback by his offer, and he wonders if he was too forward by making it. He raises an eyebrow at her seemingly flabbergasted reaction, but she quickly backtracks on it. Her next words seem to confirm that she's not planning on accepting it, however, and the stallion feels his heart sink slightly. He'd thought she would jump at the chance...

The mare seems to be hunting for excuses, and she mentions Bee, who he assumes is her companion. The beast quickly moves to reassure her, although he senses it won't change her mind. "Members of the Throat have keys - see?" He shakes his massive head to cause the key to poke out of his mane, where he keeps it stashed amidst the thick locks. "It opens a magical bridge for the none-winged residents, like myself. Your companion could use that." It is only a guess that it works for companions, but he knows several residents have wingless bondeds - he can't see the fiery wings excluding them.

Areli then adds a reason that Volterra thinks is more truthful - she wants to go home. Home, he seems to recall, is the Hidden Falls, which is ironically where the brute had always imagined himself ending up. The Throat hadn't been planned, hadn't been a herd he'd thought he would join. Life has its strange ways of altering the best laid plans. "I understand," he says, and his rough growl of a voice is unusually soft. He, more than most, understands the ties of family. "If you change your mind, though..." He allows his voice to trickle off, ensuring that she knows his offer is still intact.

@Areli