the Rift

[OPEN] The grass is usually greener

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra

Well apparently it’s going to be a party in the Falls. Probably the most horses in a group that she’s seen around the joint lately except meetings. There were horses in the Falls, after all. She just didn’t necessarily see them much. Largely her own fault, which was just fine by her. She could only handle so much social interaction. Sher (because let’s be real, Syrena was not about to learn this mare’s entire name, it was too many letters all smashed together) asks to see the Falls, and then the Edge. It seems like an entirely reasonable plan to Syrena. Does she hope the mare picks the Falls? Sure, cause they need it. But only if she wants to. The Falls doesn’t need dead weight.

And then Sher is speaking something else, so quietly Syrena almost misses it. Something about missing things, not wanting to miss any more. Ha, go figure. Were Syrena anyone else, she might know what to say here. Certainly, she’s supposed to say something. To ask if she wants to talk about it (what the hell even is it?), to ask if she needs something. But even if Syrena knew what she was supposed to ask, she wasn’t sure she could bring herself to care quite that much. Maybe. But she doesn’t know what to say anyway, so it doesn’t much matter.

She’s grateful when the filly speaks up, though her eyes linger on the flames dancing along the girls back with an energy equal to the girl’s own. Kaida. Stop calling her girl, she thinks to herself. Kaida asks to come, and Syrena rolls her shoulders in something of a shrug. “Sure,” she says, hoping neither Isopia or Ranjiri would mind. If she’s not mistaken, the Edge and the Falls weren’t on the best terms, but she’d avoided all that hubbub and never did learn the details. Whatever it was, the girl (Kaida) seemed like she was probably an incidental party. Besides, it’s not like they’d be learning any great secrets on their trip. Syrena didn’t even have any great secrets.

Kaida manages to come up with a real answer to Sher’s mutterings about missing stuff, and again, Syrena finds herself vaguely grateful. And also a little uncertain how anyone can manage to have so much to say. Useful, apparently correct words. Where the hell did those even come from? But she just moves on, nodding in the direction they’d be heading before turning herself and beginning the trek back. She turns her attention back to the girl for a moment as they walk. “I’d like to see the Edge sometime, if you wouldn’t mind,” she says, because she has not seen it, and it seems like something she should do. How many years has she lived in this hellhole now? And how much of it does she know? The answers were rather disproportionate, and not in a way that was good.

“Do you have any questions?” she asks Sher as they walk, willing to answer, but not wanting to just throw piles of random information at the mare that she may not care about. This, at least, she is not terrible at. Honesty is a skill, mostly because she is too blunt to bother with lying. And in the end, she’s not trying to sway anyone into thinking the Falls is the best. She just figures it’s her job to give them the information, and they can do with it as they please.

She keeps up whatever conversation the other mares want to have as they walk, trying to be polite and useful. It’s strange having others on this walk back with her. No one ever came back to the Falls. Well, Dragomir, but he’d come on her own. Syrena wasn’t sure she could take much credit for that one.

The walk, at least, is relatively short, and it isn’t long before the forests and craggy ruins of a mountain rise in front of them. The place is beautiful. This time of year, the trees glitter like ice sculptures, icicles hanging from their branches with vaguely dangerous points. The pools of water are covered in thin layers of ice, and snow blankets much of the ground. It is not the warmest place in the winter though, with little shelter thanks to the naked trees. But the paths are winding, and much of the herdland can’t be seen from here. There are places to sneak away to, if you can find them. “This is the Falls. It’s a little greener normally.”

les words "chat chat"

Syrena

let the water take me

image credits

@Kiada @Scheherazade
Figured we could just continue this here now - hope that's okay!

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli

Scheherazade Posts: 5
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 :: 2
eclair

“Oh, you won’t miss anything! Helovia has a funny way of making sure you know if something’s going on.”

Sher cocked her antlered head at that, curious but holding her peace. Whatever Kiada meant, Scheherazade found the notion somehow comforting. For the first time in a long while she would be free to explore, to learn, to build upon her new life and create memories that would stay hers. She followed Syrena’s lead, keeping the mare within sight of her of her one good eye- trailing just behind and to the left. Excitement and anxiety twisted like snakes inside her, so knotted up it was hard to tell where one emotion ended and the other began. A little wide-eyed perhaps, her expression betrayed none of her internal conflict. The decision she had made to visit both the Falls and the Edge seemed accepted by both lands’ representative parties, and felt only fair to her. She no longer questioned that. But she was only too aware that she had never encountered a proper herd before, not since her childhood, which she barely had any notion of.

She wouldn’t have been surprised if Syrena had endured the trek in silence, not taking her for much of a conversationalist, but she was proved at least a little wrong. When her companion addressed her, Sher paused a time before answering. Did she have questions? She should probably have questions. Her inexperience once again rearing its embarrassing head, she thought back to what the gray mare had said about the falls before. “You said your home was lovely… ‘if you like that sort of thing’.” She craned her neck forward and a little closer to the other woman, her expression curious. “Do you like that sort of thing? I mean, are you happy there?” There were far more relevant questions, perhaps, like how the Falls were governed, or what jobs needed doing, but this was all she could think of to ask. It felt easier, at least, to evade the serious matters for now when she felt like she might choke on the importance of it all. And why shouldn’t she care how Syrena felt about it, if it might become her home?

As the earth begins to rise into roughened peaks and bare forests, Sher catches the first glimpse of the watery attractions that give this place its name. She’s careful to follow Syrena’s hoofprints over the winding terrain, still managing to turn a hungry eye over every detail: Iced-over ponds appear delicately laced with fissures, and blueish green columns of ice stand in place of some of the smaller waterfalls. The air tastes like ice and smells like wet stone, sort of minerally and alive despite its appearance. The branches here are sheathed more liberally in glittering ice than at the Threshold, clearly due to the heavy moisture being sprayed by the more active outpourings.

Enamored by discovery, she almost forgot why she was here in the first place. She turns once to smile at Kiada, grateful to be sharing the experience with someone else. Syrena’s deadpanned introduction garners an amused chuff, the unicorn looking long into the monochrome depths of the forest. “I’m sure it is.

I am dedicated
To the same baffled heart I have always carried.

SCHEHERAZADE
The diamonds and mud of my mouth.

@Syrena @Kiada Thanks for moving it :)

Kiada Posts: 181
World's Edge Nurse
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 2 years - Birdsong
Khairi :: Leucistic Lammergeier :: Paralyze Skylark
It's said she's made of storm cells
and a wild wolf's hungry heart
Khairi didn’t seem to pay too much attention to the webbed grey woman as she answers Kiada’s question with a simple ‘sure.’ The filly was happy with the answer, and so the vulture didn’t have much to complain about. Another little adventure in between trips to and from the Edge in search for her missing half. However, as they began to walk she allowed Syrena to take the lead, stepping alongside Shereherazade as Khairi flew above them, scouting out the area and trailing between the barren snowy trees.

I’d like to see the Edge sometime, if you wouldn’t mind.” The woman’s voice reached her pale rimmed ears. Kiada’s gaze landed on the mare with a cheerful smile and a nod. “Definitely! I’m sure they wouldn’t mind.” She noted with a nod, excited that Syrena had taken an interest in seeing what the Edge was all about. The filly would find a way to get Syrena to see the Edge even if the herds themselves had some bad blood between them. She was the King’s daughter, after all! And that had to stand for something, right? She could only hope that nothing bad would happen despite the fact she had a face that nearly mirrored her father’s broad lined face and similar blue eyes. Hopefully she wouldn’t be punished by her mere approach.

As Syrena asked if any of them had questions, and the roan mare beside her spoke up, Kiada simply stayed quiet. She was interested in hearing the answer, but was also far more interested in the Falls and what it seemed to look like. She had her own imagination to it, but reality was strange in the fact that it was never truly accurate. It was either far better than what she could imagine, or far worse. In this instant, as Khairi landed on a branch nearby as Syrena introduced them to the Falls, it appeared to be far better than what she could think of.

A smile crested across her small face as the flames across her back licked as deer and birds. No predators to be seen in the small flames as she stood in awe, surprise, and sheer curiosity. Her head swiveled around taking in everything as Khairi looked on as well, offering her a view of what it looked like from above. “Woah.” She whispered, ebony tail flickering against her legs as she looked. “It reminds me of the Basin a little bit, but with more life.” She laughed, but then turned her head to Sher. “Oh! There’s also two more herdlands we hadn’t mentioned before. There’s the Aurora Basin where I used to live. It’s basically a big mountain with snow pretty much all year. And then there’s the Dragon’s Throat, which is in the south. I haven’t heard much about it though to be honest.” She informed her new friend before turning her attention to Syrena again with a smile. “Oh this is so exciting.

"Talk."
that she's learnt the lightning's secret—
to ripping darkened skies apart.
Kiada
image | coding

@Syrena @Scheherazade :D

IT'S SAID SHE'S MADE OF STORM CELLS
AND A WILD WOLF'S HUNGRY HEART,
THAT SHE'S LEARNT THE LIGHTNING'S SECRET
TO RIPPING DARKENED SKIES APART.

Dragon's Throat Forger

She would have made the entire walk in silence, because she is far more comfortable in silence than in pleasant conversation. But if nothing else, she knows this would be considered rude. Besides, hadn’t she had her own barrage of questions when she was new here (so long ago now)? Hadn’t she pestered….Essetia, she thinks….with her own questions and then scared the crap out of the mare when she started talking about being a siren. It hadn’t taken her long to learn that even in Helovia, where the strange and awful abounded, she was still seen as a monster. At least by those who hear her tale, hear just what it is she used to be capable of, what she once called food.

Now though? If they thought about it, she was harmless as a damn fly though. It’s not like she could eat flesh (and didn’t even have a taste for it), and she couldn’t eat souls without magic. She didn’t run around killing other horses for no apparent reason. She ate water plants and could make seaweed grow so she never starved. Definitely monstrous.

She tries not to dwell on these things though. Instead, she pretends (mostly) that her past doesn’t exists. She bites her tongue and keeps her mouth shut because she’s no good at conversations anyway, so it all works out just fine in the end. Her creeping dark thoughts are cut short, thankfully, by Sher’s question. She had meant, really, do you have questions about Helovia, the Falls, whatever. She hadn’t even expected that the mare might simply ask about her.

The surprise doesn’t show on her face, though the slow turn of her head and the blink, followed by a short pause, might give some of her surprise away. “I do,” she says, “But I particularly like water, which is why I picked the Falls. There are, obviously, waterfalls, but also many hidden pools and rivers to be found. I stay because I do like it though. It is somewhat quiet and it suits me.” She likes (to the extent she likes much of anyone) the horses in the Falls. She likes being often left alone. She likes her pools. It wasn’t the life she had planned for herself, but it was not terrible as far as second choices went.

They seem to enjoy the scenery, and at that, Syrena realizes she doesn’t know what else to show them. It would probably be helpful if she knew someone well enough around here to be like ‘hey, let me introduce you to so and so’, but she doesn’t, and she doesn’t know if anyone else will join them. Perhaps, given that she’s brought two strangers into their home. But one, hopefully, would decide to call it home. Kaida was a little young to defect from her parents’ home, on the other hand.

The girl brings up the Basin, and Syrena nods, having never thought about it before but realizing the child (Kaida) is right. There are some similarities, from the bit of the Basin she’s seen at the festival. She hadn’t gone for the landscape, though she’s enjoyed that, but rather to learn about the Time God and the history of the Basin. She doesn’t know what the Basin has to offer other than the little she saw though, and she suddenly suspects it must be more than the Falls. They had some prison cells, a half-finished healers hut, and a half finished sensory deprivation room. Ha. They were apparently great at starting stuff. “Would you guys like to lead the way and explore? I’ll answer any questions as you go.” she finally says, figuring just letting them have at it would make up for her lack of anything worthwhile to offer. Which was, truthfully, less to do with the Falls and more to do with the fact she only cared where the pools were. But still.

les words "chat chat"

Syrena

let the water take me

image credits

@Kiada @Scheherazade

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

Scheherazade Posts: 5
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 :: 2
eclair

She appreciates Syrena’s honest reply, for at this point she got the sense that the woman wasn’t one to say more than what was true, or to spin a fanciful version of the facts. And quiet it was, its verdant forests now given in to wintering, largely still besides the soft trickling that resonated over the mountain, seemingly from everywhere. She could see the appeal, but wondered, privately, would it suit her as well? Would she know her home when she saw it, or was that something to be learned as well?

The crack of ice and bending wood drew her eye up toward the hulking, feathered shape of Khairi. Her hide shivered uncomfortably in the vulture’s presence, watching as his taloned feet gripped and shifted on his perch. Attempting to disguise her unease with a casual change of interest, she stepped away toward the nearest pool. Her ears pivoted back as Kiada expanded upon her Helovian introduction. In Scheherazade’s mind this new world doubled in size, nebulous and daunting in its existence. She felt so very small and so very unprepared to face it, grounded only by her unbudging desire - her need - to succeed in this venture. When going back was never an option, her only choice was to move forward however she could.

Subdued by her own thoughts, the roan mare stared out across the frozen pool and beyond, her expression pensive. Her attention turned inward, her thoughts a mire of doubt and determination. After Kiada’s lively tones her own silence was pronounced, but she just couldn’t find it in her to break it. Syrena’s suggestion shook her from her introspection, and she turned her good eye back to her host. Nodding her ascent, she circled around slowly, as if to consider what course to take, but stayed close instead. In this strange territory she didn’t know where to go, and was reluctant venture out on her own. Even with permission it felt like trespassing, so for the moment she only looked, and gave voice to the questions that had time to form in her mind. “Who… rules this place?” She falters on the terminology, knowing absolutely nothing of how anything here was governed. After this, her questions come easier, quicker, her mind awake again with curiosity. “What kind of jobs are there? What do you do?” She looks plaintively back at Syrena, seeking the answers that would bring her new world into focus. She tacks one more onto the end, her face twisting apprehensively as she considers it: the question’s been on her mind since she saw Kiada’s dancing flames, and Syrena’s shifting coat. “Does everyone in Helovia have magic?

I am dedicated
To the same baffled heart I have always carried.

SCHEHERAZADE
The diamonds and mud of my mouth.

@Syrena @Kiada Bleh.

Kiada Posts: 181
World's Edge Nurse
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 2 years - Birdsong
Khairi :: Leucistic Lammergeier :: Paralyze Skylark
It's said she's made of storm cells
and a wild wolf's hungry heart
The filly’s ears swiveled with the words that slipped from Syrena’s lips in response to Sher’s question. Kiada could understand that, at least for the most part. The filly was young still and hadn’t quite found a place that seemed to suite her yet. The Edge was nice, it suited her far more than the harsh chill of the Basin. But it still didn’t exactly feel like some place she wanted to be forever. Perhaps part of that issue was due to the fact that her hovering parents, worried that she too might go missing along with her brother. Which, in a way the child could understand, but man was it frustrating. Perhaps one day there would be a place that screamed home to her – but she had far more exploring to do in the meantime.

As Syrena’s words come to a close and she suggests they lead the way and ask questions as they go, Kiada and Khairi are very much intrigued. However, the politeness in the filly shows and she waits for Sher to figure out what she wants to do before Kiada just went on her own line. After all, they were here mainly for the roan unicorn and not for herself. Even still, silence overcomes them as the filly patiently waits, deer sprouting on her back, antlers and bodies made of a heatless flame as they danced across her spine in her curiosities. Sher asked Syrena a few questions of the lands and then her questions flicker to herself.

Does everyone in Helovia have magic?” Immediately Kiada’s head swivels to a no. “My brother and I were born with magic. But my father and mother didn’t have magic before they arrived here.” She noted, figuring that it might create some solace for Sheherazade to find out that it wasn’t required to have magic to live here. Sometimes they just got it one way or another. Kiada wondered if those events were like the ones where she spoke with the random serval creature, or Kisamoa even, with his scaley god-fish body along the beaches of the land. Nevertheless, Kiada offered Sher a reassuring smile. “And some of them you can’t see at first unless they use it. I don’t have a choice though.” A small frown found its way onto her features. “What about you Syrena?” She questioned, turning the attention back onto the siren mare, a small amount of sadness gleaming in her eye briefly before it was gone.

"Talk."
that she's learnt the lightning's secret—
to ripping darkened skies apart.
Kiada
image | coding

@Syrena @Scheherazade I kind of forgot about Khairi during this post, so he's still hanging out on the branch he was on before. xD

IT'S SAID SHE'S MADE OF STORM CELLS
AND A WILD WOLF'S HUNGRY HEART,
THAT SHE'S LEARNT THE LIGHTNING'S SECRET
TO RIPPING DARKENED SKIES APART.

Dragon's Throat Forger

Perhaps she could be good at spinning pretty versions of the truth, or spinning pretty false tales. Certainly, she should be good at these things. That was once what she did. Paint a picture of the world you wanted to live in with the sound of her voice. Painted something so beautiful, so perfect, it was worth dying for. Not that you knew you were about to die, of course. But even if you had known, you would have gone anyway. Such were the tales should could spin. But without the magic behind those stories, what was the point? Where did lies and cleaned-up truths get her? Nowhere. In the end, Sher and Kaida would find the truth for themselves (or whoever she happened to be talking to). So why waste time with lies in the first instance?

The crack of the trees above them, Khairi still in the trees, draws Syrena’s eyes upward briefly. Though not so much out of unease, but out of habit, because she finds herself often scanning the limbs of the trees here for Isopia or Hubris. Hubris was easier to find than their Czarina in those branches. But of course, he was bright and gold, whereas she was black and hidden in her raven form. But they are not there, and it is just the girl’s vulture. He is a creepy bugger though, but she’s grown rather used to that around here.

Sher doesn’t seem entirely sure where to go. Syrena doesn’t blame her, she didn’t know where to go when she first arrived here either. Now, when nothing motivates her, she stays hidden in the storyteller’s pool, her own little sanctuary of a sort. Technically a scared place, but she uses it as a home as well. Her questions come though, and Syrena, in no rush to move anyway, is fine to stay and answer them. “The Falls is ruled by Isopia, the Mountain that Knows, and Ranjiri the Goldenshade.” Not that she’s seen much of the second Czarina, but the girl was new to it, and apparently worthy enough to be appointed by the Earth God. So she figures she must be off doing something that Syrena simply doesn’t see, and truthfully, doesn’t much care to know.

The questions keep coming, and Syrena waits now until Sher finished, Kaida offering an answer to whether or not everyone in Helovia has magic. “Many do not. The Threshold strips everyone of their magic when they first arrive here.” The truth of that particular fact is still bitter in her mouth. Though her voice remains emotionless as she speaks of it, a brief flicker of sorrow and crashing waves flickers across her features momentarily. “There do seem to be ways to get magic though, even for those without it originally.” Often strange things, sometimes dangerous things, sometimes completely harmless things. Helovia was impossible to predict.

“As you see, I turn colors, and I don’t control that either.” she says, ocean eyes glancing at Kaida. “It’s always an ice breaker at parties,” she adds, and the deadpan sound of her voice here is almost comical. Syrena, at parties. Clearly she was the life of them and all. “As for jobs,” she continues, her attention shifting mostly to Sher, though glancing now and again to Kiada in case the girl has things to add. “We have warriors, healers, crafters, sleuths, and storyteller’s. I’m the Storyteller here, so my job is to talk to with the Earth God and relay his messages to our Czarnia’s, and to collect the stories of the Hidden Falls and Helovia. Each herd has a Storyteller, though they go by different titles, and each herd has a different patron God.” She falls silent, knowing there are many follow up questions to that. What Gods do each herd follow? What does that mean exactly? Somedays she didn’t entirely know. But at the moment, it feels as though she’s dumped enough information on Sher, and so she doesn’t add more.

“I can show you my favorite waterfall?” she offers, figuring she can lead if they would prefer.

les words "chat chat"

Syrena

let the water take me

image credits

@Kiada @Scheherazade - sorry for the wait! last week was crazy

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli