the Rift

[PRIVATE] thunderbolts and lightning

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

Google defines thundersnow as “snowfall accompanied by thunder and lightning.” Which yeah, basically sums it up. Can’t get much simpler of a definition than that.

And that was basically what was happening right now - if you ignore the apocalyptic intensity of it. Frostfall was still rolling in, fresh and clearly looking for something to prove. This wasn’t a snowstorm with a little bit of lightning - this was lightning - vivid, blood red lightning, streaking across the sky - as hard snow pellets beat upon the earth.

Night had fallen but the Thistle Meadow was far from dark as the storm suddenly hit, illuminating the barren oaks and the blanket of snow with a vicious and abrupt show of power. It was not hard to believe that there was something else behind this storm, something far beyond the regular toll that nature took upon the land. This storm, with each flash of lightning and brutal boom of thunder, seemed to be taking out a personal vendetta on the very earth.

Or, perhaps, it was focusing its attention on a particular someone down there on the earth, caught up in the swarm? And all the plants and animals that just happened to be in the area were nothing but collateral damage, simply having the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But surely storms do not seek out a victim, not even a storm as great as this - as merciless as it would seem to someone caught within it, this was surely just a storm like any other and could be weathered.

Right?

darknightoftroy

for @Roskuld

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

...and then the weather decided it wanted to be angry, too.

We could see the storm from miles away, a huge black thing hanging in the sky, clinging to the horizon, and only an idiot would have dared to even think about going into that thing at the sight of it. But that’s the thing, though, because we weren’t just seeing it. At least, I wasn’t just seeing it--deep in the core of my body, right there in the middle where a sixth sense inside of me tells me when shit goes down, was a buzz, a ringing, a blaring, claxon toll that was telling me unequivocally that shit was currently going down. And it wasn’t a thing that I could ignore, like a weird pain in my neck or ass after sleeping wrong on it. It was an instant call to action and I bounded for it.

It was obvious that there was something off, because snow doesn’t beat you like it was beating me at that moment, like it was slapping my shit with a belt buckle for doing a naughty thing that I wasn’t supposed to be doing. But even other than that, though, the lightning flashed above me ‘n Chic like a large, blaring red scar stretching and screaming down at us, like the sky itself was bleeding and blaming me for wielding the razor blade. I begged with Cheek and he agreed with me, and so he dropped from the sky and clung to my back before his wings could be pelted with hard, angry frost and be torn by the ripping wind.

I squinted up into the elements, trying and searching and failing to see the big picture, the beast behind all this nonsense that was surely there--but for all I could see, it was only a storm, and a pissed one at that. But that was okay because Sparkmarrow was clasped to my shoulder and Chico had taken his pre-war shit and I was in no mood to fuck around at that moment. “HEY,” I screamed at--some clouds, “CALM THE FUCK DOWN.”

Quit Hollerin' "Why God?", he ain't got shit to do with it.
♥♥ kate has it going on

@Mythical Request

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Helovian Ancient

-Why-

The word wasn’t so much spoken as it was boomed, a strange echo of the thunder forming into the word. A voice, undeniably a voice, but unlike any voice in Helovia. A you’ve probably never heard of it type of voice. This wasn’t a creature, after all, it was a downright phenomenon. Its voice was the breaking of the heavens, the cracking of the lightning and raucous thunder.

It only had one volume setting: deafening.

For a moment, the storm only seemed to worsen - swelling in the immediate vicinity of Roskuld and blasting her and her companion with wind and snow. Higher and higher the intensity swelled until finally, a minute later, it broke with a flash of red lightning.

The fork of electricity arced toward one of the mighty oak trees and as the snow lessened (to a mild storm instead of a hurricane) a cracking noise rose above the wind as the barren tree flashed into a flame as red and blinding as the lightning that birthed it.

-Why calm down?-

The voice came from everywhere - from the lightning that continued to flicker and provide light, the clouds, the flames of the burning tree. It would not be denied an answer.

darknightoftroy

@Roskuld

WHY, the world boomed at me.

I ducked my head against it, my eyes screwed shut while Chico grasped my mane for dear life. We felt that voice all around us, breaking outside and inside our bones with the kind of power that said without saying I’m strong enough to crush you if I felt like it. For a second we drowned under the strength of the storm; the wind tossed and turned around us, battering us and tearing at us and hating us thickly, and it was all I could do to stand my ground, planting my feet wide apart so I wouldn't be knocked down by the harsh storm.

And I wasn’t knocked down, either; after a while the ferocity of the gales abated and I was able to open my eyes slowly without being in danger of blinding myself against the aggressive windshears. I gasped, panting even as Chico peaked out of the tangles of his tousled mane.

Why calm down? The voice was there again, there and everywhere and nowhere, but it didn’t rip at me like before and I was able to answer without a scrambled brain. “Cuz you’re BREAKING shit, that’s why!” Maybe nothing major was shredded to bits yet, but a wild storm like this running loose on the land wasn’t gonna do any favors for anybody.

I guess I’d reached a point where a talking storm wasn’t enough to faze me. I ‘unno, it felt like the kind of thing that would pop up, and whatever it was it was a thing I had to handle. “What do you want? I shouted, screaming at something since it seemed to be in a talking mood.

♥♥ kate has it going on

@Mythical Request

Helovian Ancient

Roskuld's observation that breaking things was a reason to calm down went completely unnoticed by the storm. It did not care whether it broke things, that was what storms did - especially one of this magnitude. It was the cycle that nature went through. Ignoring for the moment, of course, the fact that this was not exactly a natural storm. It did not feel like explaining the cycle of destroying and creating to someone who should know all of that already. Things were broken, killed, and from their ashes new life rose.

The next words from Roskuld were not ignored, however, and the storm abated a little further out of contentment - the roaring winds fading and the snow falling gently upon the Thistle Meadow for a moment. It was happy (or the closest feeling it could get to happiness) she had chosen that question of all others.

"What did you want?"

Typically, weather phenomena did not want things. There was not usually the presence of a consciousness that enabled them to think. Usually. But this storm, as clearly demonstrated by now, was hardly just an ordinary one. It was capable of thought, of speech, and definitely of desiring something out of the little demigod.

The response came almost immediately, a flicker of red lightning in the near-black clouds, but none licked the earth for a moment.

-Make a storm with us-

Came the beckoning, that same deafening voice but with an almost playful hint to it now. It was not often it found someone capable of creating lightning all on their own, after all, and the storm wanted to see what Roskuld could (or would) do.

darknightoftroy

@Roskuld

So of course the storm ended up ignoring me, which is what storms do so I can’t really play like I was all offended by it. The concept was weird from the beginning--shouting at clouds and wind and sleet and red lightning and biting cold wasn’t like screaming at a thing that had enough brains to sort through words.

I pinned my ears though, knowing this was more than what it was showing me; I ground my teeth even as Chico growled deeply in his barrel chest, and I reached for Sparkmarrow. The sword’s zpKA! as it snapped into formation was muffled by the noise of the storm around us, but the vibration of it clapped anyway between the bullet-storm of snow.  

What was I gonna do with a sword against...the weather? I had no fuckin’ clue but that wasn’t gonna stop me from trying the shit, especially if something actually did lay at the storm’s perfect center. But I was stopped from jumping in the fray by the…entity that seeped at me, even as it had boomed out at me before: Make a storm with us.

I paused, my eyes glaring over Sparkmarrow’s blade suspiciously at the rampaging beast of a snowstorm. Make a storm with it? Fuck did that mean? Did it want to see my own lightning or….or was it something more? And what kind of shit would that be? I could spit some spark, sure, but that didn’t mean I was capable of anything of this magnitude. And if that’s what the storm wanted from me then it was shit out of luck.

I drove Sparkmarrow into the ground, my eyes still glued to the glowing red of the electric storm, considering its words, weighing my options. With a heavy snort, I gathered the spark in me and gathered it in my horn until it was at its bursting point--and I aimed it for the clouds and where I thought the center would be and fired my hottest, juiciest load of lightning I was capable of conjuring. I was banking on one of two possibilities: Either the Storm wanted to see what I was made of or not, or I would be laying on a nice preemptive strike on the bastard that was causing all this damn noise. People were trying to sleep, jeez.

♥♥ kate has it going on

@Mythical Request

Helovian Ancient

Perhaps the storm wasn't exactly watching Roskuld to see what she would do, but it was certainly waiting. The air stilled around the demigod despite the excitement and anticipation that was building up. The stillness wouldn't last long, of course - storms weren't meant to be quiet - but this one had a little time to be patient, at the very least.

And then! Well. The small demigod got all charged up and released an arc of electricity from her horn and it was so... small. Pathetic even. At least in relation to the might that the storm had been displaying. That arc had been nothing like what it had been expecting, not from this creature that was so filled with life. The lightning of the storm crackled in the sky, burning blood red against the darkness, in response to Roskuld's show of her magic - licking the sky far above her head and the area where her 'lightning' had struck.

-You can do better than that.-

The storm knew she could, but perhaps she needed some charging before she could become a force of nature. Perhaps she wasn't quite there yet - wasn't the warrior who could challenge storms and make them cower before her. One day, perhaps, and this storm hoped it would bear witness to such a feat.

The air around Roskuld fizzled and popped with electricity, a noticeable hum from the static rising in pitch as the lightning continued to flicker in the clouds above - flashes of white among the red now. The sky was lightening, becoming less magical and foreboding but only because the magic was focused around the body of the Spark's daughter and her companion. Sparks of every colour fell around her like snow, and would cause a faint but noticeable shock when they connected to her skin.

A gift, from the storm, was left behind as it receded - the day turning back into something utterly ordinary. Until another day when it would return to challenge Roskuld once more.

darknightoftroy

@Roskuld
Congratulations! Roskuld has been given the following upgrade:
Shock (U) | The ability to release long, whip-like arches of lightning from any part of her body.

Please post to records updates to have it added!