the Rift

[OPEN] careful what you wish for (joining)

Arakh Posts: 77
Dragon's Throat Stallion atk: 5 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17'2hh :: 2 HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Snow

THOSE WHO OPPOSE THEE SHALL KNOW THE WRATH OF HEAVEN

The journey from the Edge to the Throat has never felt longer to the bull-horned boy, nor has it ever felt more important. The colt's heart hammers in his chest as he crosses Helovia in tandem with his sister, his mind thrumming through a thousand different possible outcomes of this move. Although he is convinced that it is the correct course of action for himself and his twin to move to the Throat, that doesn't mean Arakh is a hundred percent certain that he is doing the right thing. So much could go wrong - their paternal siblings in the Throat could decide that they don't like having more relations in their midst, they could get off on the wrong foot with the leaders....the possibilities are endless.

Arakh tries his level best not to think of these things, though, not least because he wants to make sure he reassures Esinakh. He knows his twin might be nervous at this big change in their lives, and he's careful to touch his muzzle to her side at regular intervals as they make their long march from north to south. He's quite sure that her trust in him is the only reason she's agreed to the move, and he does not intend to breach that trust. If this goes wrong, it's all on him.

Although it is Frostfall everywhere, it's noticeably warmer here than in the Edge. This pleases the calf; he likes the heat, which probably comes from his father's genetics. This arid desert is where the Wildfire made his home, where he conquered all comers and where he ruled with an iron fist for more years than most Helovians can remember. That is quite the legacy, but one that Arakh carries happily upon his winged shoulders.

They arrive at the edge of the world, and the colt is reminded of one of his first trips here when he attempted to fly across the sea to the island and ended up almost drowning, saved only by his father's strength. A fond, nostalgic and slightly sad smile ghosts across his face at the thought of Gaucho, and at how proud he hopes his sire would be now that Arakh is a fully capable flier. He could easily make the trip to the Throat now without needing to wait for the bridge to open, but he isn't sure if Esinakh has the same confidence in her wings and he also doesn't wish to seem too forward. Best to err on the side of caution and be polite newcomers, waiting outside the territory rather than barging in just because it's their birthright.

Pressing close to his sibling, the colt lifts his small muzzle and bugles a call for the leaders, telling them that they have a pair of potential new members on their borders. Then he turns to Esinakh, his rugged young features a sea of calm despite the nerves he holds within, every inch the strong brother. "Rak and Esi will be happy here. Lots of family, and big oasis for Esi to stay clean in." He smiles warmly at her, chuffs gently towards her nostrils, then awaits whoever will come to greet them.

@Esinakh and any leaders, and anybody else! :D Hope you don't mind me throwing this up Smitty, figured I'd keep things moving with them. Normally I'd post Vol to accept them but don't really want to thread with myself haha :c

[ ARAKH ]

Patrick Posts: 31
Dragon's Throat Colt
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.0 (wfg) :: 6 months
LovellaTorendo
Patrick

Patrick has been busy, what with meetings and patrols and giant turtles and all.  He has not returned to the Throat since leaving to begin that patrol.  Ilios came across him at the magic tree under the eye of the leather-backed, big-voiced, gift-giving creature though and did not seem too put out over finding his son roaming alone beyond the safety of home.  This revelation has made the boy just a bit more bold about his wandering, though he is still likely to be secretive with the actual coming and going.  After all, Xolani might not feel quite the same on the subject of these adventures.

It is evening, several days after he went out in the first place, when he returns to the mainland shore again.  Normally he would go right up to the gate and attempt to, quietly, grab the attention of a shore-patrolman (or woman) to let him back in.  This time he simply begins to hunt along the beach, muzzle to the ground as if there is something very important that he must find.  Perhaps he thinks it will be harder to gain re-entrance without undue notice at this hour and perhaps he is trying to invent an excuse for being out here but whatever the reason he very quickly does find something. Two somethings, in fact.

They are young and not so very much larger than Patrick's own childish frame.  Their horns are more developed than his and of a much different type.  They also both have rather thick, very feathered wings.  This last feature draws a disdainful snort from the thin, fuzzy, buckskin boy when his gaze pass over them.  He is still far enough away at the time that this sound is highly unlikely to be overheard by anyone else though.

These are not kids who belong here... at least not who belonged here before I went to look over that Heart place.  I have not met everyone who lives in my big home, but I have at least seen most of them from a distance.  These I've never seen or smelled before.  Also, they have wings so if they were supposed to be here they probably would have just flown on in instead of waiting near the bridge like I have to do.  Still, even if they are not supposed to be here they don't really look like they mean trouble either.  Hmmm...

I've never been told what we are supposed to do with strangers on our boarder, probably because, while I am apparently old enough to be trusted with scouting missions, I am not old enough to be assigned to guard anything.  Well, if they do mean some kind of underhanded trouble at least if I intercept them then the presence of watching eyes might make them think twice.

His head is up now and he trots purposefully over the rocky beach to stand a polite distance away from the two strangers.

" 'lo.  What bull-horned ones need in Throat?"

The tone is offhandedly curious and not at all challenging but his gaze is pointedly direct and his eyes watch both of them with obvious care.

such big eyes you have
Image Credit || TABLE BY SEVIN

Timing: late Frostfall Y8
Age note: Patrick is 5 months (nearly 6 months) old in this thread

OOC: Hope you don't mind, I thought Pat could perhaps entertain them for a bit. :P

Esinakh
Arakh

(tags removed so that typo editing doesn't keep re-tagging, sorry!)

Esinakh Posts: 48
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 7 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 15.2hh :: 2 HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sachi :: Plain Rougarou :: Water & Flame smitty
Her soft, white marked muzzle pushed insistently in uncertainty against Rak’s shoulder. Though the calf was entirely unsure of their move away from the Edge (the Edge was home. safe. known. The Throat was… not. It was new. strange. full of sand.) she faithfully trusted and followed brother-calf. He knew best, after all. He knew how to calm her. He knew how to clean her when she was too incapacitated to do so herself. He just knew. He was her calm and her center.

So, with soft but incessant touches of her muzzle against his shoulder and (her favorite) the soft patch of skin beneath where his wing met his shoulder, her light and skittering hoof falls follow alongside Arakh’s sure and steady ones. And, with every returned touch by her brother, a soft and relieved sigh pushes out her soft, small nostrils.

The tiny filly’s skin does like the warmer weather of the south. Though she cannot stand sweat, she prefers a temperate climate to a snow-covered, chilled one. So, with a few worry lines leaving her face, she raises her head to look across the (seemingly) insurmountable sea that awned, vast and daunting, before them. Pale, pale eyes widen as she looks across, before glancing with mild panic at her twin. “Cross that?” Her small voice is incredulous and shocked. She was too young and traumatized to remember the crossing back from their birth.

Some of her panic mitigates with Rak’s close touch, smile, and reassuring words. Though, truthfully, the only family that matters to her is brother-calf. Rak is the one that feels this pressing draw towards others of their blood. The only other blood Esi had met, thus far, had been Oizys. And she could happily do without the cruel, grey filly.

Her head whipped around to another that approached— a colt not much younger than themselves and about the same size as Esi. The colt was a warm grey, as if someone had taken Esi’s coat and rolled it in golden sands. Though the thought makes her grey hide shudder. Uncertainly, she looks from the colt’s light blue eyes to Rak’s electric ones, before hesitantly offering the newcomer and answer, “Family. We Wildfire’s calves.” She shifted tentatively, feathers ruffling and resettling on her sides.
esinakh
i hope my last breath is a sigh of relief
bckg | image

@Arakh @Patrick and anyone who can accept them :D

Please tag Esinakh.

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki

"I wanna be free as the winds that blow past me
Clear as the air that I breathe
Young as the morning and old as the sea"

She made her way back to the bridge at a leisurely pace, pleased with the herbs she’d found on this particular excursion.  Her sword was strapped to her side, as it was for most of her expeditions, the gold tassels and other objects that had been tied to the sheath jingling and shining in the light just enough to keep the attraction of the little dragon flying above.  The little white dragon certainly had a penchant for all things that glittered. However, eventually A’mal grew bored of following and flew on ahead of her bond mate - eager to return to the little nest in the rocks filled with trinkets she’d collected.  

It was then that she happened upon the little gathering - both small in number and stature - standing at where the sea met the shore. The little dragon landed ever so gracefully in front of the gathering of children, staring up at them with interest.  A small-equine had been present at her own birth, so she had absolutely no hesitation about approaching children, and any sort of decorum seemed to evaporate as soon as she caught sight of them.  She said nothing (obviously), but let out a trill of excited clicks and chirps before Najya could make her way to join the children.  

Obviously the presence of three unattended children had hastened her pace towards the bridge, but she was somewhat relieved to see that she recognized at least one of them as being of the Throat and the other two were at least old enough to be away from their mother.  Still, she wasn’t willing to just leave them all there. “Hello!” she called to them as she approached, so as not to startle them since she was approaching them from the side they wouldn’t be expecting.

“What brings all of you to this side of the sea?” She asked, in greeting to the bunch.  However, in catching the filly’s words she found that she already had a partial answer to her question.  She did her best to keep her expression neutral.  She’d never met these children of Gaucho’s before, she’d only known his children who’d lived here in the Throat.  She was unsure if the news of his death had spread to other lands, but that was not how she wanted to greet these children this day if they did not know.  However, Najya knew better than to assume.

“Ah, If you are children of the Wildfire then you will find many of your family call the desert home. Shall we go see if we can find them?” She offered, gesturing towards the pillar that would activate the bridge that would transport them across to the Throat. “Do you feel comfortable enough to fly across? If not, we can use the bridge,”

You introduce? A’mal questioned, having grown tired of having to look up at everyone and leaping from the sands to sit on the physician’s withers. “Oh, I’m Najya by the way. And this is A’mal.”

N a j y a

image credit

@Arakh
@Patrick
@Esinakh

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base

Arakh Posts: 77
Dragon's Throat Stallion atk: 5 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17'2hh :: 2 HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Snow

THOSE WHO OPPOSE THEE SHALL KNOW THE WRATH OF HEAVEN

'lo. What bull-horned ones need in Throat? The colt feels a pang of disappointment as the first to arrive is a boy of a similar age to himself, not the mighty leader that he'd hoped. It had occurred to Arakh that somebody else must rule the Throat now that Gaucho is dead, and he's extremely excited to meet them. He assumes it will be a man almost exactly like the Wildfire, although naturally not as great - a warlord, a beast, a king. This colt is none of those things, but Arakh remembers his manners even so. "Arakh and Esinakh come to join Throat," he says simply in his gruff, accented tones. Upon the boy's arrival, Arakh automatically leans closer to Esinakh to try and protect her with his young bulk and to reassure her if she needs it.

She introduces them as the Wildfire's calves, and Arakh nods his affirmation. They aren't alone with the other boy for long, because a radiant mare appears, one who captures the calf's icy gaze with her trinkets and the little white dragon that follows her. Arakh's eyes immediately travel to the dragon, having never seen one this close before. The creatures are magnificent, and the colt makes no attempt to remove his gaze from the white-scaled being even whilst its bonded is speaking to them. Finally he tears his attention away and towards the mare, who introduces herself as Najya and her companion as A'mal. He nods, a gentlemanly gesture befitting of a far older man, because he's determined to prove that he can be the head of this little family and keep his precious sister safe. "Arakh and Esinakh come from Edge, but wish to join Throat to be with family."

He is excited when the mare confirms that many of their blood reside here, and he nods eagerly at her invitation to find them. "Yes please. Is Najya Throat leader?" He tilts his head curiously at her, wondering if she has the power to formerly accept them. At her offer to cross the bridge, Arakh knows what his answer will be - to fly, but that depends entirely on whether Esinakh is comfortable enough to join him in the air. If she isn't, then they will cross the bridge alongside the wingless woman. "Esi?" he asks gently, leaving the decision fully up to her.

@Patrick

[ ARAKH ]

Patrick Posts: 31
Dragon's Throat Colt
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.0 (wfg) :: 6 months
LovellaTorendo
Patrick

The resident, self-appointed, gate-guard stands politely silent as he awaits any response from the pair of slightly older foals.  It is pretty clear at first glance that they are siblings and probably even twins. Unlike the sandy lad and his own twin these children share certain obvious features and markings.  Twinship is something the boy understands, or at least should.  So, it is likely that he feels drawn to these visitors, even beyond his normal curiosity, by that common thread.

Unexpectedly it is the smaller of the two who speaks first, at this Patrick's ears stand up straighter to catch the clipped feminine tones.

"Wildfire... 'kay, good."

He never knew the Wildfire of course, he was born only just before the grand sultan died.  Still, he could not have lived in the Throat for any length of time without hearing that name.

The girl's claim confuses me at first.  In my mind the name Wildfire connects to the giant titan-thing on the island side of the bridge which sometimes responses to commands from important adults but mostly just stands silent and watchful.  Still, with all the things I have seen in this world since my birth who am I to say that a titan-thing can not have children.

For some reason the earth clumps clinging to girl's back make this even more believable.  And if that is true then it is probably also true that they should be here.  Pop's insistence that "herd" and "family" are the same is still too big a thing for me to really take in but the idea that actual family should be together has always seemed right.

I find it even easier to like the idea when I discover that the girl is not the only one of the two who is sparing with spoken words.  This is something I like very much and it puts me more at ease in their presence.

The male "calf" speaks next and when he does Patrick relaxes visibly.  His eyes carefully follow the other boy's protective movement and his head tips thoughtfully as he does.  When the clear statement of their intent ends he taps his muzzle to his own chest.

"Pat, il-o-ooos... errr... calve.  That right word?  Pat have sis-calve too, Pat know."

His gaze is firmly placed on the biggest and darkest of this grouping with those last reassuring words.  Their subdued meeting is quickly interrupted at this point and made quite noisy by the arrival of a pale, excitedly chirping dragon.  A grunt of greeting comes from the colt in answer to this creature's landing and he glances out beyond the new comers to spot her partner still in the distance.

"Gold-crown comes.  She have key."

This statement is offered to no one specific and soon enough they are indeed joined by the dainty, dappled mare with the golden head piece.  Patrick shuffles his hooves awkwardly as she shrewdly questions his presence there but he recovers quickly.

"Pat say, 'Pat gather'. Go out, look for good plant things. Find Wildfire calves first."

Next he stretches his head and neck up in an undisguised attempt to peer at the woman's back where she could potentially be carrying things.

"You gather good plant-things? Show Pat?"

She is already giving her full attention to the strangers by this time though so he falls quiet and remains that way right up until Arakh asks if she is the ruler. This gets a snort, though it appears to be in excitement over knowing the answer rather than any form of disdain.

"Nope! Gold-crown plant-keeper, hurt-fixer, teacher.  White-flame, gold-wing one with not-horn horns, funny tail and bird-head, cat-foot creature... she Throat leader."

A little breathless from this rush of words he turns away to look at the bridge that he can not open but does seem to very much enjoy crossing now that he has grown used to it.  He looks back to the two winged foals then and his eyes light up with happy enthusiasm as he offers verbal urging toward one of the offered choices.

"New calves try bridge, least once.  It fun!"

such big eyes you have
Image Credit || TABLE BY SEVIN

Arakh
Esinakh
@Najya

Her horned head cocked slightly as the other, rose grey colt sounded out words and spoke of have a sister. “Where at?” Was her short, curious question. It was not often that she and Rak separated. And, if they did, she was not often too far off.

Pale, wide eyes take in the newcomer—and they linger on the mare’s white spots that mar her russet hide. The strange calf’s bleach eyes narrowed slightly, lips pursing into a pout as she finds just how many spots are on the woman—Najya—and how likely impossible it will be to scrub them off of her. Her narrowed gaze then jerks to the dragon, and a spear of relief pierced her frustrated expression. At least he is clean and pure white. That is a boon to the calf.

A white-rimmed ear swivels towards Rak as he deferred to her about crossing to their new home. Anxiously, she looked across the vast expanse of sea to the far-off island; to her small self, it looked so far—way too far to fly across. Her wings were too small, her ability of flight too new, to trust it across the straight.

She had begun to tremble, so she quickly shook her head against flying across the sea. She turned from the choppy waves to look at the pillar that ‘Pat’ was saying they should try. “Esi no see bridge?” was her dubious question as she slowly stepped towards the pillar. Her nose outstretched to touch the pillar questioningly. It looked clean and fine. How was this a bridge?
esinakh
bckg | image

I think it would be funny for Esi to get yanked across while inspecting the pillar ;)
Either way, let us know when we can have their ranks changed!

@Arakh @Patrick @Najya

Please tag Esinakh.

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki

"I wanna be free as the winds that blow past me
Clear as the air that I breathe
Young as the morning and old as the sea"

”Ah, I see,” the russet mare said as Pat provides an explanation for his own presence outside the borders.  As for the pair of winged children, well, she had already ascertained as to why they had come to the edge of the sea. She offered patrick a small smile as he queried her about what she’d gathered.  ”Just a few things today!”, the little mare said to the unicorn colt, shifting to show him the chamomile and anise tucked under the strap of her sword. She wondered if perhaps he’d enjoy a lesson about the herbs she’d found, or perhaps on her next gathering trip he’d like to go with her.  Though she thought perhaps they could start with the herbs that could be found within the Throat before going too far from home.  There was plenty to be discovered within the borders of the Throat.

Her attention then flickered to the two children who had come to the desert seeking family.  

She smiled the winged colt’s manners. ”Pleased to meet you both,” she said, looking between the two bull-horned twins.  From her perch, A’mal chirps a greeting of her own.  The dragon has only fond memories of children, and had not lost her affection for them as she has grown.  The colt asks if she’s the leader of the herd - an astute question for one attempting to gain entry - but it is Pat that answers the question.  She smiles at his description of both her own role as well as his description of Aithniel and her companion.

”Quite right, Pat!” she says, with a small laugh, ”I’m not the leader - Aithniel is our leader. I am, however, one of the herd’s Sun Physicians - what we call our healers. However, I can certainly take you all across the bridge and welcome you home. Hopefully you can meet Aithniel in time.  There’s certain to be a meeting before long.  Until then, let’s get you across the sea and settled in.” Though she was not the leader of the herd, she certainly had the power to give the children what they wished - a home amongst their remaining family.

Her attention then turns to the filly - the quietest of the bunch - who seems somewhat perplexed at the prospect of a bridge.  Najya can certainly relate.  The very concept of an enchanted bridge had been confusing to her too until her first brush with flight.

“It’s a magic bridge, young one,” she said, as the exuberant Pat offers his encouragement at giving the wings of fire a try.  However, she knew that such a thing could be quite daunting at first for one accustomed to such things.  She knew her first trip across the sea had been equal parts thrilling and terrifying, especially since she had been accompanied by two pegasi - neither of whom wore the wings of flame.  

”Let’s go then,” she added, cheerfully, activating the pillar with her key and watching as the magical flames ignited to carry them across the sea.

N a j y a

image credit

@Arakh
@Patrick
@Esinakh

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base

Mismatched ears of white and dark grey swivel around, listening to everything that was being said behind her. Something about leaders (Aith—something), physisisisicician (that was a hard word), and getting across the sea; the latter was what really had Esi’s interest. She wasn’t sure just how or where this ‘bridge’ worked.

“Magic?”
her voice parroted quizzically, turning her head away from the pillar she was so closely scrutinizing—but any further questioning or musing was lost in a loud, shocked, fearful squawk as fire suddenly leapt from her shoulders in the shape of fiery wings. They yanked her small body up into the sky and over the sea, towards the far-off island.

Esi’s lips, parted with surprise, let out a few amazing and frightened mewls, just as her eyes were stretched wide, rimmed in white as they took in the white-capped swells that passed beneath them in a fast blur. She struggled once against the wings, then went rigid, before slowly going limp as adrenaline surged and faded through her blood. Though she appreciated being in the air, free of any salt or sand, she wasn’t entirely sure that she enjoyed this sensation of alien, fiery wings.

So she and her brother were swept, willing or not, towards their new home and the start of a new life.
esinakh
bckg | image

I'm happy to end it here :D I just wanted to write Esi's reaction to getting yanked across, hehe >:]

Please tag Esinakh.