the Rift

[OPEN] straight lines unwind you

Frost Fyre Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Altair :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast prissy

Snow ceased to fall, though it's presence lingered on. It blanketed the ground and dappled the tree tops. The mottled maiden and her silver companion paid no mind to the chill, they welcomed it, especially on a clear night such as this. They were accustomed to cold nights, but not the lack of a borealis. The pair had ventured out of the Basin in search of a change of scenery, but the one they had found ended up differing so slightly from their home. No matter, they would venture farther until their yearning for a meandering felt satiated.

They wandered the meadow, taking delicate steps, listening to the soft crunch of the snow beneath their cloven hooves. The surroundings bored the maiden, and she chose to ignore them. Her emeralds stayed focused on the imaginary trail she had laid out before her. 'To the beach, perhaps?' she wondered, 'or maybe farther south instead of west? The caves?' She trekked on.

Altair followed at a lax pace, his gaze apathetic till he spied a gleam of red amongst the sparkling snow. He paused, squinted, pondered whether his eyes were playing tricks on him or not.

The Haruspex glanced over her shoulder, emeralds alight and adventurous. 'What do you think, Altair? Beach or caves?' She furrowed her brow at the cerndyr, 'what are you doing?'

The rune encrusted cerndyr offered nothing but a grunt in response, leaping from his spot towards the red gleam in the snow. A confused Frost followed him curiously, her ears pricked eagerly once she noticed the red light the cerndyr had leapt towards.

On the ground rested a small rose, which Altair inquisitively bumped his nose against, rolling it over in the snow. 'It's encased in ice—no, glass! How pretty,' Frost observed dreamily, bending her head down to closer inspect the intriguing flora. Altair eyed his bonded, smiling and tenderly picking up the small trinket to place it in Frost's hair, tucking it behind her ear, opposite the purple star kissed upon her skin. The Haruspex grinned at her companion, pulling her head up and touching his shoulder affectionately.

The mottled maiden's gaze swept the meadow, finally embracing her surroundings, abandoning the haste that had infected her previously. It had it's own qualities that set it apart from the Basin after all. She smiled as a shooting star drifted past her eyes, her passive planetary magic ever present. The Haruspex tilted her tiara upwards, gaze wandering the night sky.

"Say, Altair, do you think the Gods see our trees and mountains and lakes as we see the stars?"

a thread for frost to find her rose encased in glass item !!
edit ;; @Patrick storytelling thread? :D

FROST FYRE
Second chances they don't ever matter, people never change.

image credits
Dawn is coming
open your eyes

Patrick Posts: 31
Dragon's Throat Colt
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.0 (wfg) :: 6 months
LovellaTorendo
P
A
T
R
I
C
K
Patrick could have gone straight back to the Throat once his patrol was complete and he probably should have done exactly that.  Something, probably that ever troublesome curiosity, has made him choose otherwise. After he ensured that any lagging members of his patrol group made it back to the magical bridge he turned right back around and headed out again.  This time he did not linger in any of the familiar places but kept right on walking until he encountered something that made him stop dead in his tracks.

The warmer, drier grounds of the south come to an end before him... a much more visible end than they would in any other season.  Stretched out as far as the eye can see is a blanket of glistening white broken only by the marring of traveling hooves.  It is snow of course, a common place thing for the season but not so to Patrick.  Child of the south and sun and summer as he is, with only six full moons under his belt, he has never had the opportunity to see such things.  Naturally finding it like this, all by himself with no one more experienced to explain it to him, would make it all the more wonderful.

A gleeful sequel leaves his mouth as he sort of nose-dives forward dipping his muzzle in the stuff as he might with water.

Wow! Why hasn't anyone told me there is such a pretty, shiny land up here?  I bet Ko would have a blast magicking this place up.  Not that it isn't beautiful already but Sis always manages to make things prettier.  I will have to tell her about it when I get back.  If she is not still hiding.  Time for exploring first though, anyone I tell about this will want to know more than that it is pretty and white even if I think these facts should be more than enough.  Smelling and tasting first I think...

A snort of surprise follows the ill-advised nose-dive and the colt jerks his head up nose wrinkling in distaste as he goes on to sneeze vigorously.

"Cold!"

This declaration is made in an accusing tone as he stares warily at the snow in front of his hooves.  When the offending snow does nothing more other than sit there and be cold he appears to relax again.  His icy blue gaze follows a puff of glittering flakes blown across the the clean surface of the open field by an errant breeze.  Almost absently he begins to wander out into the white muttering quietly to himself.  If any others of close enough to over hear they will catch the mutterings as numbers, almost as if the boy is counting snow flakes.

In time his wandering brings him to a small hillock and he wanders, or rather plows for the snow is deeper here and he is not overly tall, right to the top of it.  Once at the crest he pauses glancing down the other side thoughtfully.  Whatever obstacle he was considering is apparently not enough to stop him for long.  With a decisive nod he starts walking down and the walking quickly turns to sliding.

"Wheeeeeee! Fun, fun!"

At first he is very obviously every bit as pleased by this experience as he was by his first sight of snow.  Then the sliding turns to tripping and stumbling which turns to over-balancing, then to falling and at last to tumbling.  It is a gentle tumble and will not hurt him but it does leave him somewhat befuddled when his motion at last comes to an end.  With a loud "oooofff!" he fetches up against something that is possibly a hidden rock well padded with dead, dried moss and snow or just as possibly someone's legs.

Blinking he tips his head back to find his sights filled with a hairy, antlered beast and those antlers shimmer with strange mesmerizing markings.

"Ooooo..."

The colt breaths the appreciative sound in confused excitement.

"Who are you?"

That may just be the first complete sentence the boy has ever used, short though it is.  Apparently this sight of a never-before-seen creature has managed to shock it out of him.

Image Credit || TABLE BY SEVIN

OOC: Patrick is being a bit of a goof and hasn't even seen Frost yet.  Feel free to decide whether what he has bumped up against is a rock or Altair's legs. :)

@ Frost Fyre

Frost Fyre Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Altair :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast prissy

Her tiara remained tilted towards the sky, admiring its depths and endless secrets. The mottled maiden's gaze was wholly transfixed, her dark lips turned upwards ever so slightly as she enjoyed feeling the weight of the rose in her hair. She was so preoccupied by the sky that she didn't even notice the far off squeals and tumblings of a child playing in the snow.

Her emeralds only began to slip from the stars once the sounds got louder and closer, very closer. Her dark brow furrowed, eyes having no trouble finding the source of the commotion. He slid and slipped through the snow, the golden gleam of the child's coat standing out starkly against the alabaster blanket around them.

She had no time to ponder and be jealous of his youthful antics, for it soon became apparent that the child was hurtling towards her, and quite rapidly so. She instinctively stepped out of the way, no emotions getting tangled in her actions, as they so often did.

Oh, but the elk at her side hadn't been quite as aware of their surroundings as she had (for once). His mind was still enamored by thoughts of Gods and trees and mountains. The cerndyr didn't even notice the child till he had already plowed right into his legs.

Altair's eyes widened, dark brow furrowing, cloven hooves digging into the ground to remain in place. He didn't move for a time, his body rendered motionless by shock. The child at his hooves was making noises, though, and Altair couldn't ignore him forever, no matter how stunned he was. And so the confused cerndyr looked down at last, blinking slowly at the golden colt covered in snow as he asked him a question.

Mentally, Altair responded with, 'wha—who's are you?' The cerndyr bent his head down to get closer to the child's face and sniff him curiously, grunting when he found the scents that clung to the child's coat to be desert-y and not tundra-y. 'Not a Basin kid,' he commented to Frost before going back to his sniffing.

The Haruspex's brow raised, a smile lighting up her dark features as she held back a laugh at her companion's confusion. "His name's Altair," Frost offered to the boy, a smile still warming her chocolate lips. "He likes you. He wants to know who you are, too," She added, the cerndyr's silver gaze flicking up to her as he began to immediately interject in her mind.

'Like him? Frost I—I only wanted to know who he belongs to so we could get him back to wherever he should be, I—oh,' Altair's protest stopped once he received a sly glance from his bonded. With a sigh, the cerndyr gave in to her wishes, and decided to play along. He moved his nose towards the golden boy's horn, and if the child would allow, the elk would brush a bit of snow from his forelock and offer the child a friendly nose bump.

@Patrick so sorry for the wait <3

FROST FYRE
Second chances they don't ever matter, people never change.

image credits
Dawn is coming
open your eyes

Patrick Posts: 31
Dragon's Throat Colt
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.0 (wfg) :: 6 months
LovellaTorendo
P
A
T
R
I
C
K

Patrick sprawls in a heap at that antlered creature's hooves making no effort to untangle himself and get to his own feet.  The creature seems surprised but does not back away from the boy instead he takes a stance every bit as forward as the child's own.  Without preamble or attempted response to the exuberant questioning a black-velvet muzzle is stuffed in the boy's face whuffling in careful inspection.  Despite any effort to hold them in a string of childish giggles erupt from the sandy lad as the creature's warm breath tickles his face.

At this point a new voice chimes in from only a few paces away.  One small ear flicks towards the mare to show that he is attentive but his gaze remains fixed on those highly decorated antlers.  He catches every word though, studious listener that is, and he tilts his head thoughtfully to the side as they sink in.

I wonder how the woman knows that this strange creature likes me and why she speaks for him.  Yes, I do realize that most none equine creatures can not communicate with me but he is such an unusual and magical one that I thought perhaps he might be able to.  Maybe, this is something like Pop's partnership with Izz... a thing that has yet to be explained to my satisfaction.  Yet, I can think of nothing else it could be though.  I wonder also what sort of creature this is.  I have seen antlered, non-equine beasts a time or two but never one with anything like the intricate carvings that adorn this fellow's antlers.  Just now the time-wasting ordeal of names and proper introductions demands all of my limited attention though. How frustrating...

The boy points his muzzle at the antlers, for the creature still has his head lowered to sprawling-child level.

"Pretty, pretty!"

He giggles again as the shaggy face leans closer to brush snow away from his small horn. The offered nuzzle of greeting is accepted then with a sigh he attempts to repeat the name offered by the warm female voice.

"Aaahl... Ahld...Aldaaa..."

This is followed with a sharp snort and a defeated huff of breath.

"Nope.  Air?"

That last question is directed at the rune marked creature as if he is requesting permission to address the fellow by that shortened name.  His attention turns to his own limbs then and in a few seconds he has himself put to rights and is standing again though he does not bother to shake the snow from his coat.  A few backwards steps are taken to give himself room as he turns to look at the unicorn mare standing near by.  A questioning gaze moves back and forth between her and the one called Altair.  After a moment or two he tucks his head in and taps his chest with his nose.

"Pat!"

Image Credit || TABLE BY SEVIN

OOC: No problem! :)

@Frost Fyre