the Rift

Dorobo's Finest

Kyauta Posts: 4
Outcast
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 9
Mouse

The sickly glowing light of the moon shone over the thick forest and snow like a blanket, bringing to light the secrets only the trees knew. All was quiet until the snapping and cracking of leaves and twigs underfoot shattered it like glass, through the dense tress a blurry mass could be seen bolting.

The world was like a dream he kept sliding in and out of, a fuzzy haze he could not fully comprehend. He did not know his legs were still holding him upright or that they were lot alone moving, time and movement were concepts he could not quite grasp. Black fuzzy blobs threatened to cover what little he could see of the dark world. His whole body felt as if it was moving through an ocean that put thousands of pounds of pressure on his limbs. The heart inside his chest threatened to snap his ribs in half as it beat harder and faster each second, practically jumping out of his chest. The overwhelming scent of blood filled his nostrils until not even the smell of his sweat drenching his body could be smelt.

The events of the past few nights came flooding back to him like a spell had been lifted from his mind: The fire cracked and sizzled filling the void of silence as its bright claws scraped at the darkness devouring as much as it could, leaving its light behind. It shone brightly and clearly, like a beacon screaming hey I’m right here come attack me! But it was also too dangerous for Kyauta to rest without a fire either so he would rest lightly and move when the sun began to rise. However when the moon was at its peak a crack of a twig underfoot broke the silence and jerked Kya from his sleep, his purple eyes looked from side to side in alarm as dozens of bright eyes surrounded him and what followed was darkness and pain as he fell into unconsciousness….

As the painful memories replayed the stallion burst from the trees into a snow covered clearing, circled by silent sturdy trees.

When the light of a fire finally leaked under his eyelids Kya had already come to realize the buzzing in his ears was in fact, chanting. He had jerked his head up only to have it pushed down again by what might have been chains, “abin da yake da ma'anar wannan? Bari in tafi” what is the meaning of this? Let me go! He had exclaimed but it seemed the horses did not hear him they were chanting louder and prancing about. Suddenly there was a shrill cry of a horse as its throat was slashed and blood shot out from its wound, only one horse reacted to this and that was to let the blood fall into a bowl.

It was then poured over his body, the blood sticky and still warm coated his whole body like it was his original coat. This went on until the sun began to rise and then they unchained him and…left, just like that. Kya bolted and didn’t stop running until Dorobo was gone…leading here….

In present time Kya stops and heaves great breathes into his lungs as his body shakes uncontrollably from such a run. All is silent in the clearing leaving only the moon’s sickly pale light to shine down on Kya, his frame covered in rust colored blood and his violet eyes wide in fear and panic. His mane and tail stuck to his body crusty with blood and sweat if anyone happened on this Dorobian they might think him mad.

Letting out a shrill cry Kya lowered his front half, knees folded in prayer, his nose touching the freezing snow. “Bari alloli same ni a cikin ni'imar da kariya kamar yadda na fuskanci wannan unknown ƙasar…”

NOTES: For the most part Kya is running through the Helovian threshold and finds himself in a clearing as he relives the past few nights in Dorobo which are in italics as to not confuse you. Kya is a Debwani from Dorobo and speaks Hausa, “Bari alloli same ni a cikin ni'imar da kariya kamar yadda na fuskanci wannan unknown ƙasar ...” means “May the Gods find me in favor of their protection as I face this unknown land...” And of course the song that inspired this post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBcXe2B97TQ

Auriel Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 Hands :: 3 (Ages Birdsong) HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
prissy
the cigarettes you light one after another
won’t help you forget her
My smoky breath obscured my vision, hot against the night air. My journey through the skies of the threshold weren't radically uncomfortable, though I planned to not linger long. I couldn't see much through the trees, anyways. My pale amber gaze scoured the ground laxly, narrowing only at a violent rustling of trees below. Since I had noticed it, I felt compelled to see who else was awake at this midnight hour.

I pulled my dark wings closer to my sides, making a quiet descent, landing on the ground below with a soft thud. After I landed, I remained still, listening closely to my surroundings until I found the sounds I sought. What a racket you're making, I thought, as if the stranger in the night could hear me.

I weaved through the trees, ears pricked, genuinely curious about the creature that was causing such a ruckus. My eyes widened when I found him, brow furrowed and body tense. He had almost collapsed, it seemed. A behemoth of a man muttering words in a strange, foreign tongue, his sides still heaving. My ears swiveled backwards, my voice caught in my throat at the sight of the red, glistening liquid that coated his body and dripped quietly onto the ground.

Blood. Is it his?

I couldn't tell, but I dared not get any closer to him. "H - hey," I stammered, bending my head down a bit to see if I could peek at his face, "my name is Auriel, I'm a Sergeant of the World's Edge. Are you all right, sir?" I tossed around more words in my head, though none seemed to fit. I felt caught between trying to help him, and the threat he could potentially pose if it wasn't help that he needed.

WOO @Kyauta
image | coding
She walks in starlight in another world.
She is far away. She...she is far, far away from me.

Outcast
Mouse

The stallion was so sure that he was alone that he let himself believe he was, when the shadow of something large swooped over his body he froze in fear. Kya prayed that it would simply just leave oh but it did not. When the creature spoke the stallion's head jerked up violently and he quickly got to his hooves. Kyauta did not understand anything the mare was saying, he only saw wings and thought Korofi instant rage pushed his fear away and took it's place.

"bar ni in zama muku pesky ungulu" he spat and practically hissed. But then he stopped because it seemed the mare was as afraid of him as he was afraid of her. "kana fahimta na?" he asked more calmly and when she didn't make a move to speak he tried something else, "you...speak? understand me?" his words were chopped and terrible but were English anyways. Kya couldn't keep his eyes from her wings, a look of disgust washing over his face.

"You know water?" he questioned "to wash?" the stallion wanted to get the blood off him.

NOTES: he's trying to not hate her since she has wings, he's racist. Also it sucks I'm sorry!
TAGS: @Auriel
TRANSLATIONS:
bar ni in zama muku pesky ungulu - leave me be you pesky vulture
kana fahimta na? - Do you understand me?

Ráeru Posts: 41
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 4 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Frostie

Ráeru

"Look at us, studying the fundamentals,
Back when we were young and now we’re up here on another level."

Having never tired recruitment before, there was very little faith that this experiment would go over well. Still, it wouldn't hurt to give it a go. At the tree decorating (or whatever the appropriate name for such a monstrosity was) she'd decided to give this whole 'friends' thing a go. So, she'd traveled to The Threshold despite the late hour and now weaved between the trees looking for (the rather unfortunate soul they would be) someone to help or offer shelter to. After some time a voice reached her ears, one that sounded rather unsure. Most definitely when facing an uncertain character you didn't want to see Ráeru's mug appearing to help, but in for a penny, in for a pound she was already here and rearing to go.

A winged mare was looking uncertainly at a stag. She was a decent looking thing, strong, capable. Familiar? Was that the scent of The Edge that lingered upon her coat? The pale dove believed so. Turning to the stallion Ráeru sucked in a sharp breath, what she had thought was rust coloured markings was actually blood. A curious expression painted her own features as she studied him, wondering why he was completely covered in it. Additionally he was rather rude, not that attitude mattered all that much the the pale lady. She didn't miss the look he tossed towards the wings on the other female. Born to racist parents she could pick those who disliked other because of their species rather easily. She herself didn't care either way, species, gender, appearance and age didn't matter to her. No, Ráeru didn't discriminate. She just hated everyone.
Well, everyone except her immediate family and a few individuals.

In a strange language he spat and practically hissed his words, causing Ráeru to pause momentarily in her approach. Smaller than both gathered se hoped her shorter stance would make her appear a s a friend rather than a threat. More calm this time he again spoke in the odd tongue, but his change in attitude encouraged her to step into the fold. Closer now she happily inspected him for injuries wondering what useful things she'd be able to find in The Threshold to help him. Deranged and covered in blood, now this was her type of first meeting. Only..damn.. it didn't appear to be his blood. She could not catch a break! Had he bathed in blood? That was pretty gross. Still witless and obviously in need of come shelter so he could get himself together, well didn't this also fall under her duties? "There is a river just through those trees."
She responded at last to his words having assessed that it was safe for him to move about on his own. There was no gaping wound at least.

"Do you actually have any injuries?" She inquired, still casting a curious eye over him. Little scrapes and bumps she could sort out for him, no matter how disappointing it was. In any event there were a few things to warn him about when entering this land but she held off, wondering if he would dismiss her because of her horn. If that would be the case then she'd rather just let him fend for himself.

Auriel Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 Hands :: 3 (Ages Birdsong) HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
prissy
the cigarettes you light one after another
won’t help you forget her
The man rose to his hooves, his towering height and jerking motions made me feel a flicker of fear, only for a moment. I had dealt with large men before, maybe not successfully (Volterra), but I had dealt with them.

Oh, but his hissing, foreign words and sharp glares at my wings made me sure that this type of beast was one I had never dealt with before. "Uh - um," I stammered awkwardly with a black plume of smoke pouring from my lips, pale ears flicked firmly backwards. Fortunately for me, his tone eased, and then, in a choppy, gruff voice, his tongue switched to mine. An expression of relief rushed over my features, my pale amber gaze lighting up at the realization that at least he spoke some of the common tongue.

"I understand you now," I stated slowly with a nod of my head. I didn't have to say anything else, for moments later, I saw a ghost. The apparition's alabaster hide glowed in the strips of moonlight that fell through the trees, her steps light and careful. My lips fell apart as my gaze lingered perhaps a little too long on the fair girl. It took more than a moment for me to realize she wasn't a ghost at all. I noticed she brought with her the scent of pine and misty mornings; it was only once I made this recognition that I pulled my gaze away from her. So many of my herdmates were strangers to me, a fact that had never ceased to rip at the edges of my chest.

I let her do the talking, choosing instead to do the listening. I watched the blood covered behemoth carefully, my head held high, smoke trailing menacingly from my lips with every breath I took. I found the man highly suspicious, moreso now because he seemed to lack injuries despite the blood on his body, and that I knew I had a herdmate to protect.

@Kyauta <3

image | coding
She walks in starlight in another world.
She is far away. She...she is far, far away from me.

Outcast
Mouse

Before he knows it yet another horse has appeared, as pretty as the new mare was his eyes landed on that horn of hers and his ears twitched slightly in annoyance. However beggars can’t be choosers now can they? At least they weren’t trying to kill him “Yadda dadin Dalain zai zama idan ya iya gani ni yanzu” he mumbled under his breath. The stallion looks at the unicorn and actually looks grateful as she tells him about the river so he is inclined to answer her question.

“No no, no wounds on me. Demon worshippers pour horse blood on me” to Kyauta that sentence made perfect sense everyone in Dorobo would know about the demon worshippers. So he headed to the trees where he was told the river was, he looked back once and said “come come.”

As the river came into sight Kya wadded in and let the blood soak away, it made the river look like it was a battle field. However it made Kya look less scary, his true coat eventually was revealed and then he came out of the river. Dripping wet but not covered in blood.

It was finally then that he introduced himself, “I am Kyauta…from Dorobo, you both are?”

TAGS:::

@Ráeru
@Auriel

NOTES:

Yadda dadin Dalain zai zama idan ya iya gani ni yanzu = How disappointed Dalain would be if he could see me now

Arende Trefe Posts: 8
Up For Adoption
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 5 (Tallsun)
Adoptable
arende trefe

The words hitting the air sounded familiar. Although he wasn't entirely fluent in the other languages in Dorobo, he knew enough that he would be able to decipher what location any equine from those lands resided from. Working his tall frame through the trees, he let his eyes wander to and fro, listening as the voices drew nearer and not all of them seemed to be from his homeland. Pricking his ears in the right direction, he finally broke through the brush with his crimson frame glimmering in the moonlight, and all he could do is remain frozen where he stood as he looked at the scene before him.

There were two women there, one like an ethereal being in the night with her ivory frame, and the other silver and dark with plumes of smoke leaving her snout. Although they were very pretty, and seemed to be very concerned and kind, they were not who Arende was so intently focused on. His eyes came upon the man standing in the waters, blood falling away from his striped form as blue eyes looked at them both intently. His eyes studied him slowly, as if he were in a dream, before he was suddenly rushing forward and into the icy waters. Ignoring the splashing waters, the cold against his skin and even the two others in company, he finally came within inches of Kyauta and he cried. The tears were falling, staining his alabaster skull with grey as he pressed his cheek to his, closing those honey eyes and simply letting the emotion overtake him as he finally felt whole.

"Kyauta, my liewe vriend," he breathed into the taupe and brown that was the older man's skull, taking in the scent that beneath the smell of rotting blood he knew so well, knew from all those times they lay beneath the stars as they both came to terms with their tortured pasts. How comforting it felt to be next to him again, to feel his presence so close, and though their position might have looked rather intimate he didn't care because he had found him, and now that he was here he would never lose him again. He couldn't nor wouldn't pull away until he was certain that this man was real, that this wasn't a dream and that he wasn't going to wake up cold and alone in the depths of the northern snow. Instinctively his lips found his mane, tugging it to make sure that it did indeed have give, before finally opening his gaze and trying to find those baby blues.

"F-Forgive me," he stammered, realizing just how many lines he had crossed by basically throwing himself at his best friend. Watching his eyes nervously he tentatively took a step back, sniffling to try and rid the tears that would not stop as he finally managed to continue,"I just... it's been so long kaamerad. I thought you were gone.... Where did you go?" Then suddenly he was terrified, because what if his beloved Kyauta had left him, let them part their ways so suddenly out of nowhere because Arende had done something wrong. Was it something he did? Did he finally offend him for being who he was? The tears were flowing with renewed vigor, and he was trying his best to simply be calm but how could he when he was terrified that his friend no longer cared for him. So he waited, chest beginning to heave in panic as he hoped and prayed to the Gods that he was for once wrong.

"Talk."

i have never met a strong
character with an easy past
image | bckg

my liewe vriend - My dear friend
kaamerad - Comrade

@Raeru - sorry for stopping in we had a moment with plotting <.<"

Ráeru Posts: 41
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 4 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Frostie

Ráeru

"Look at us, studying the fundamentals,
Back when we were young and now we’re up here on another level."

Demon worshippers. The pale mare managed to keep her expression neutral, empty and nonchalant. "I see." Was all she said in response to the bizarre statement. Following him to the stream the pale dove quietly watched as she rinsed the stains from his coat, her blue eyes narrowed as each drip diluted the water's pure colours of blue, white and green. She hadn't followed simply because he'd urged them to, no, she wanted to see if indeed there were no injuries lurking beneath his soiled coat. Nothing was revealed beneath the blood and so she drew back a few steps, disappointment souring her expression ever so slightly. She would have gathered he needed healing. In any case her presence here was no longer required. Unless, of course, he was looking for a home.

When he emerged from the stream, dripping wet and finally free of blood, the pale mare sniffed. Her expression had once again slipped into a look of placid detachment, his question only caused a small reaction - a verbal one. "Ráeru." Yet their conversation was interrupted as another stallion arrived, clearly he recognised the previously blood splattered stallion. Watching their interaction silently, she was happier to linger in the background, observing the reunion with curious glassy eyes. While it was undoubtedly lovely that they'd found each other, it was perhaps not the best place to remain standing and discussing the past. The Threshold truly was a no-man's land and anyone could stumble upon them. Clearing her throat she glanced towards both stallions and then the other Edge mare. "Maybe you'd like to have this conversation somewhere a little more comfortable." She suggested, glancing between the two stallions, "The World's Edge, my home, is not too far." She offered them the hospitality of her homeland with a small, (slightly forced) smile.

So sorry about the wait! Got super busy over Christmas and New Years, please forgive me. <3
@Kyauta
@Auriel
@Arende Trefe

Outcast
Mouse

Kyauta assumed being here would be hell on earth, everyone here semed to be very boring and so he was soon to make his exit when something came through the trees. His world seemed to fall apart and then piece itself back together as his eyes landed on the one horse he cared about. At first he thought it was an illusion, and really he was baking under the Dorobo sun but then Arende came crashing into the water towards him. The moment their skin touched he knew it was real.

The tug at his mane went unnoticed Kyauta was too absorbed in taking in the painfully familiar scent of the other stallion. "kada ku yi hargowa Arende, aka tare kuma ... ba zan kwance ka" he said gently to the feathered man. At Arende's question the stallion felt extremely guilty, it almost brought him to his knees. Kyauta remembered the night he was forced to leave Arende's side, it was the night he was captured by the demon worshippers, they had been watching them both for a long time but of course Kya didn't say anything.

The night they got too close for comfort Kyauta knew he had to leave Arende to protect him, they followed him when he left Arende and took him. "You were in danger, I did what needed to be done" simple and vague Arende should be used to those answers by now.

Kyauta had forgot about the mares until the pale one spoke...not seeming very welcoming. "I follow Arende" he tried in his best english. "I go where he go..."

NOTES:::

Kya is just going with Arende <3 Also I just made up something for why he left.
kada ku yi hargowa Arende, aka tare kuma ... ba zan kwance ka = don't cry Arende, were together again...I won't loose you

TAGS:::

@Arende Trefe