the Rift

[OPEN] raise you like a phoenix [warrior meeting]

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

The General was determined. It was a fairly common trait woven between the snippets of his bloodline, those grasping, resolute, voracious veins that bled ice and fire, that knotted transgressions and upheavals until they blended into menace and domination. There was no surprise when the characteristic gnarled and gnashed its way through his skull, became an enticing filament beguiling him from any other task (the usual associations with his rank and childish endeavors: hunting, fighting, or looking for the next greatest adventure). It poured through him in various ways, channeled, funneled, stuck and held fast to his schemes and machinations, overcoming the heathen rites and bonds, scraping past the diligent, Machiavellian pursuits, and delved beyond the voracious, unrelenting web of avarice, because he knew, he knew they were worth more than the languid, jaded hole they’d all fallen into. He was determined they would overcome the listlessness, the tired, worn, desolate features of their castle. He was determined to protect the ramparts, the fortifications, the icy sheen and summit of the Aurora Basin. He was determined to put effort into something beyond himself, but to also, steadfastly, valorously, not screw up.

The prince understood there would be onslaughts, backlash, and tyranny stretched his way – it was a pattern in the Basin to be bitter about something. Perhaps he was too young for the role. Perhaps he’d been groomed for the part, hoisted by favoritism and blood ties. Perhaps he thought himself far too clever, or he was too inexperienced, or the weight of the role would send him crashing into the ground and they’d be left to find someone else in a fortnight. Or maybe, just maybe, he’d surprise them all.

At first glance, he may not even have looked like a soldier, like a warrior, like a heathen rushing headlong into audacity or bloodshed. He grinned. He held compassion. He stuck his neck out for his friends time and time again, even when they forgot who he was, even when they never bothered to speak to him seasons later. He embraced convictions and promises when they suited him. He employed mischief whenever he thought it was suitable, humorous, a necessary art to diversion and subterfuge. He loved and cherished because he’d been taught to believe in everyone and everything from a tender age. He was selfish and selfless all at once and the world didn’t know what to do with a cretin like him, who stuck his foot into shadow and light. Then, maybe, when others glanced closer, when strangers peered across the layers of his skin, they’d see the scars from when he charged into battle, from when he’d stumbled and fallen and lost, from when he’d carved pathways to Gods and helped them fall, perish beside his brethren, from when he’d conquered and triumphed and dared to do it again.

So Erebos stood along a taller knoll, regal, the fortitude and might of a noble scion, and called to the few guards kept in their walls – remembered their faces but not their names from the meeting, called them his brothers and sisters in arms because he pledged to die for them, reaching out to see if they could start mending the gaping, bleeding wound that had become the Aurora Basin. “Fellow warriors, come to me!” He shouted across the breeze, along the ice, sliding into the rime – wondered if it sounded like a command or a dream, if he’d sunk too deep into his own cavernous hole and they’d consume him whole (but he’d give them a fight before he was swallowed, before he was consigned to oblivion). Orsino smirked nearby, watching, waiting, and pondering if they’d even listen to the tones of a boy who smiled instead of frowned.

He didn’t know them and they didn’t know him, and somehow, they’d mold together to become the shields, the swords, and the munitions for a herd who’d forgotten what it was like to simply live.

[Warriors’ meeting! Let’s discuss how to whip everyone into shape! ;D Even if you don't have a soldierly rank, feel free to come in if your character is interested. ^_^]
Erebos
clever got me this far - - then tricky got me in

image || table

@Arion @Beloved

Arion Posts: 11
Outcast atk: 6.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Goatfairy

THE newcomer hears the call faintly on the wind. "Fellow warriors come..." Pert ears swivel, but do not bode the head to rise from the detritus his mouth sifting through. No, instead, the muscled stallion finishes his last mouthful before leaving the copse of trees which had been his shelter while he ate.  Arion was on the other side of the Basin from where the call had been given out and so he set himself at a brisk, extended trot in an effort to make up lost time. The bulky stallion didn't feel a particularly hurried because it wasn't as if this herd was large enough to inspire true officiality. However, it wouldn't do for a soldier asking to be a Corporal to be late to a strategist's meeting. It was a far better plan, in the end,  to keep on everyone's good side until you knew what good side was the right side.

He's just made it over the crest of a small hill when he spots the black mark which had called him. The body's shape was as he'd remembered; hairy, strong, lithe, and with an intelligent tilt to his eyes. Really, the other stallion was everything anyone would expect a General to be, if only a little young. While he was certain the buck wouldn't have been given his position if he wasn't well suited to it Arion did have to admit it communicated a great lacking in numbers of the herd. Oh, little sister, how have you found yourself in yet another dying home? What can we possibly do to revive this place? I am but new and yet unused to the politics of this strange land.

The Erithos Empire hadn't been dying precisely, it had just been stagnated. Horses had become complacent with their spot on top, they'd started accepting too much and pushing away too little, they'd been choked out by their own superiority. The stallion had only heard rumors so far, but it would seem as if this was precisely what had happened here. He felt a pang of sympathy for his sister.

You see, the stallion was well aware of what was necessary to forge a thriving empire. It is not just love and prosperity. No, because you cannot have prosperity and warm feelings without force. There must be energy, power, strength, and most importantly involvement. The leaders must not be so rarely seen that a herd forgets it's purpose. Without a lead walking about, greeting their citizens during daily interactions, a group will slack. They will stop working together. They will form cliques. Really, everything goes to pure shit. Unless, of course, the seconds and lower downs could fanangle their way out of apathy and forge a herd for themselves.

It was a big requirement for a buck such as this one before Arion. The older, shorter stallion stops before his superior with his blue eyes alight with expectation and amusement. His voice comes friendly but curt, "Greetings General, how might I be of service?" This meeting would be interesting, to say the least, and would most definitely determine the amount of faith he held in the future of his new home.

"Words."

OOC: I was unsure if you wanted this set after his first spar since its not over yet so I just like -didn't- mention it, lol. I can add it in for later posts though. Whatever works. 

Stock

@Erebos @Beloved

Albrecht Posts: 249
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 19 (Orangemoon) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Strom :: Suma Ball Python :: None Townsen
ALBRECHT
and strom

He hears the call, of course. He's like a permanent installation of the empty, echoing space of the Aurora Basin, an odd development with his vehement assertations of hating the cold, but as much as he hates the cold he also hates change, a common effect of old age, and now that he's been here more than a year anywhere else would surely fit that description. So he hears the call, and he recognizes it too; the voice of Erebos, the young son of the Reaper and their newly crowned General, presumably calling his first rank meeting.

The old stallion is anything but a warrior, in all the most commonly accepted ways. He doesn't pride himself on his physical prowess, doesn't endevour to keep himself in passable, let alone tip-top form, doesn't have aspirations of defending the herd or conquering enemies, but he's made it this far in life, despite the world and everyone in it wishing he hadn't, so there must be some part of him that qualifies as fighter, survivor, the only definition of warrior that truly matters in the mortal world.

None of that is what drives him to attend the meeting, though. His shuffling into the outskirts of the gathering is more a product of curiosity and personal judgement than anything else. He wonders if the young stallion will lead his horde with more consistency and presence than the last pretender, because just as when he'd attended those pitiful meetings, he's well aware that what harms the herd will likely harm him too, indirectly if nothing else. So he stands at the back with one leg cocked, listening, watching, his presence an insult to all who come after. What attack could they possibly fend off if they can't even outrun a decrepit old man?

"Talk."
OOC // Just watching.

I told him to take care of his eyes,
because they're the only balls he has.

image credits

[Image: 56c616e54affc]Rated M, R, NC-17, AO, 18+, NSFW
Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Beloved Posts: 121
Aurora Basin Soldier atk: 8.5 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 :: Appears 6 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Orphan :: Ragdoll Cat :: None Bunnie

In the Valley of Death
I cast a shadow to block out the Sun
I am a monster accepting what I have become

There arrives a summons on the wind, through the silence, writhing within Her waiting ears like the bellow of an alarm, undesired in the stead of sleep. Her eyes flutter open, the light pierces through the dark maw of her hiding place, blinds her, and with a hiss, she peers out into its pale glow, across the vale.

Familiar, the voice draws the demon from her stupor with more than simple rage, her mind waspishly humming that she should answer the call, though her breast is alive with the fires of outrage, and displeasure. To walk into the light?! To dwell in the realms of the placid, the sheep, almost one among them, but for her white teeth shining, and the peels of her bells? Worst of all, as the daylight fright slinks back into the recesses of her thoughts, was that she was bound to a whelp, a boy, one which she might very well have dropped wet, and useless upon the Earth…

If she’d ever intended to give life, rather than take it.

Giggles ghost after her pale frame as she braves the sunlit haven, her small blades puncturing the blanket of snow, her path chosen to wind about the imprints of those already passed, to mark and mar anew the perfect blanket before her. Though, occasionally, those giggles still spark into the burning crackle of a snarl, her annoyance at being blinded by the white glimmer of the snow, or the memory that she is to serve a Boy, she arrives upon the gathering of the new General with what can almost be called friendliness.

A twisted smile lingers on her lips, the piteous gathering consisting of the child soldier, and another young man. The ancient one who had claimed all ranks and none lingers among them, earning a side-ways tilt of her crown upon her approach; her eyes fluttering over his skeletal figure but momentarily, before they find the one who called her. A pink tongue probes her lips, driven by a hunger she cannot explain, escape, feed, the maiden of murder nods hello.

"Beloved was…resting," almost apologizes the woman, of her lateness, her peculiar eyes narrowed against the perforating beams of sunlight, unused to the shining hours of the mortals. It has been many years since she has served them, the creatures of the Sun, her last coven lost to the flame and ruin, her Immortal God lost, his eternally grinning face obscured by the shadow of destruction. That this is not a God before her, not even the Reaper, the Dark One, does not miss her notice, either, but the child General’s leash was the same weaving as her own, the holder the one from which she would like to earn love, lust, his waking thought and immortal dreams - or to conquer, if He were not as strong as he appeared.

Only Time might reveal the course she would follow, an agent of the river to which she was bound. At least she saw the river, heard its rushing roil, so many deaf to the forward dance, in inescapable line in which they were captured…

[ OOC: Yay we're here <3 ]

BELOVED
how can you look down on me
when you are buried under my feet?

@Erebos
Tag Beloved, please!

Feel free to attack her with physical or magical violence at your own risk. ;D

Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

The boy counted his first measure as a success when the daggers, the knives, the demons of the Basin wound their way towards him, as they stopped and stared, expecting something, anything, from the youth who’d been catapulted into legions and warfare. He grinned again, exuberant and wild, a touch of potent, vivid savagery layered behind the wiles and charisma, stare glancing over those who’d been summoned, beckoned, from the desolate palisade. They proffered the quickest perusal, towards the bulkier Arion, whose heritage must have leant him some capabilities on the battlefield, to the chilling, ivory Beloved (Beloved? For what? To whom?), and even to the caustic Albrecht, lurking in the shadows (a silent judge?). He nodded, always polite, always courteous, barreling past the apprehension suddenly curling through his veins – because he stood along a precipice of uncertainty, no matter how his father had told him he’d be fine, no matter how he pressed and pushed himself to greater, grander heights. There were no jokes now, no silly virtues, and no boyish adventures waiting beyond the corridors when he tarnished and stumbled, when he faltered and slipped. He couldn’t afford to be chased out of the only world he’d truly ever known.

So he began.

“Thank you for meeting with me,” he bellowed, enigmatic and vivacious, the picture of artful endeavors, sketched and refined from callous whims and mercurial ambitions – but he was made of sterner stuff too, capable of tracing over the lines in the sand, in the snow. They would need something more, something different, something new and exciting to stir the mayhem, to boil and seal the seething armaments, to ensure they all aimed for the same things: success, no matter the height of chaos. They were the keepers, the guardians, the sentinels, and they couldn’t afford to be indifferent or apathetic. He knew so little about them, and they knew so little about him, and he wondered if that would make a difference – if they should forge more than just alliances, more than just names and faces, or resume much of the old, archaic mannerisms: to snarl, to sneer, to snicker when backs were turned or disagreements brewed. They could be rancorous, but not to each other, not when their empire depended on their skills, on their strengths. Perhaps that was what he feared most of all – apathy and indifference would continue to spread, trickle down through their world until they were all just moving voids, hollowed out and glaring vessels, stretched across the collapsing sphere and doing nothing about it. “I’m Erebos,” he started, and it felt light, airy, a mere whisper of what he truly was, but they’d see in time, embrace him for it or tear him asunder. “My mother was a scholar,” he continued, and Orsino wanted to barrel into him (where are you going with this?), said naught about his father because they all knew who he was, puttering over his story so that it could hit poignancy, so that it held force and mettle between his teeth. “She taught me to always seek knowledge and be willing to learn.” His eyes swept over Arion and Beloved, even to Albrecht, pondering if he’d gone too far or if he simply just wasn’t enough, but breathed again, puffed out his chest, glorified that beguiling smile all the more. “I want to see what you know, and then we shall learn together.” We’re comrades in arms, protectors of the realm. There was enough weakness in the sovereign already – but they couldn’t afford to be. They had to become proficient, understand, nourish the foundations simmering and seething along their tiny faction.

Maybe it was a different scheme, an alternative tactic, than screeching at them to recruit, to fight, to spar, to force themselves into roles and rituals that had been beaten down a hundred times before. But he wanted them to be more than the same old thing – they were creatures and cretins, fledged and encompassing the threshold of winter, mountains, and power - they should’ve craved potency and prowess. This was their time, their opportunity, to show the world what talents and capabilities they contained, how to nurture, how to finesse their skills and techniques. “We’re going to play a game,” and here his fiendish eyes sparked, fizzled, an entrancing look into the ghoulish, heathen chains tied, knotted, tethered, and gnarled behind his illustrious facets – glancing at his demonic companion, nodding, as the sable kitsune’s own expertise flared before them.

Along the stretch of their miniscule knoll, four saplings erupted from the ground, stretching towards the sky – their trunks thick, their wood hardened, their masses primed and ready for the future – and had they not been orchestrated solely by a cretin’s impressions, they might’ve towered over each of them in a few seasons. Nonetheless, they weren’t to be used for construction or mercantile – but for demolition, for destruction, for showmanship and instruction. He winked to each one of them, bobbing his head in a bright invitation to Albrecht as well, turning his head to glance at the trees standing in the stark field, awaiting disaster and ruin. “You have targets. Picture them as your enemies. How would you destroy them? What’s your best move?” The prince paused, wandering closer towards his small collection of warriors, embracing them as a part of his own heart and soul. “Will you manipulate magic? Will you wield brute force? What’s your strategy?” His head tilted, studying them, pondering over what they’d do and how they’d tackle the challenge. “Choose wisely. You’ll only be allowed to use it once.”

[GAME TIME! Post order is a lie. Go go go.

There were will be several rounds of ‘destroy a tree’. This one entails merely showing your best move. What’s your go-to strategy? :D I’ll be posting after each round with IC tips/tricks (so it’s a game/lesson mode). The rounds will get progressively harder. Remember, you can only use a certain move once. (i.e. you may stab the tree, you may kick the tree, but you won’t be able to do kick/stab it again in the following rounds). Think of some varieties. ;D]

Erebos

image || table

@Arion @Albrecht @Beloved

In the Valley of Death

Son of a Scholar, the boy General; she hears his words with an ear lifted in loyalty, another toiling away at escape, and the whisper of the world beyond her immediate notice. He carries the bravado of youth, the arrogant sway and sweep of one not yet wearied by the steady pull of the river against his limbs, and like many things in this world, it is infectious enough to hold her attention.

A silver eye is cast on the others, the dark one with the sky-lit eyes, and the haggard man. It returns to the speaker at the fore when he quips of games, a notion which draws her tittering, unbidden laughter from where she’d bid it dwell, in whispers of silence. Both ears find him, now, the miniscule fleck of her pupil slimming into what seems to be nonexistence, so that she stares with quivering gaze, and haunting giggles, enthralled with the child’s amusingly simple tactics.

Beloved likes games, thinks the demon, wetting her lips, following the gestures of the night cloaked war-boy, and finding… trees.

Retracted are the whimsical bells of her amusement for the hiss of malevolent misunderstanding. Even when his words usher forth an explanation, her eyes remain narrowed, her maddened songs stilled for the rush of quiet contemplation. Assault the forest, bids her infant master, his nostrils curling insidiously as she turns her eyes back to the Scholar’s Son.

She finds him to be quite serious, a hot exhalation of regrets and chained hostilities ghosting the air about her sculpted features, her limbs moving to life beneath her. The first of them to rise to the pitiful challenge, she chooses the smallest of the trees, its branches tender, and supple, easily rendered splinters by the touch of one such as she.

About she dances within proximity of the pine, her haunches pulled up and around the steady point of her fores. Down drive her weapons, biting with clamorous thunks against the snow dusted boughs, which snap, and sever, or dangle meekly, clinging to their posts with stringy remnants of bark and twig. A voluminous cloud of glimmering powder rises about the assault, which gains as the reverberations from the attack shudder up the evergreen, tousling even more snow free of its hold. Thumping down upon her receding figure, the damsel bucks outwards with instinctual defensiveness at the harmless white, an outraged snarl (at having been snuck up on, of course) biting through the air.

[ OOC: ohmanohman I'm almost 100% caught up WHAT WILL I DO WITH MY LIFE NOW ]

BELOVED

Tag Beloved, please!

Arion Posts: 11
Outcast atk: 6.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Goatfairy

HIS eyes raise at the sight which rolled out before him. The young saplings spring from the ground with more haste than a camel to water. Their shapes twist and bang out various sound as they grow. When everything is said and done they're quite magnificent little things...but how were these supposed to relate to training? He glanced between the trees and his General. Well, he certainly had a unique method of introduction to a battalion...that much was certain. He watches Beloved's assault quietly and thinks over what Erebos had said. "Hmmm" He hated to use his best move first, especially sine this seemed to be a game of more than one round. Well, its not as if he can outright disobey orders.

His muscles flex and pull as they propel him towards the saplings. He takes the second largest of them and aims his body directly at it. The closer he gets the more his trot elevates into a powerful, bouncing gait. A moment before the inevitable impact he swings low and shoves his powerful, thick shoulder into the thing's lower-middle trunk, where it is the weakest. A dark smile of satisfaction spreads across his visage as he feels the spine of the tree begin to bend. A brute force attack because, well, it was only a sapling at this time and using his precious sword hardly seemed useful.

How in the world this was going to help them as a troop he had yet to see. But, he did have to admit, it was rather fun to just mess around as if you were a foal pretending to fight a bad guy.

"Words."

OOC: Its short, I'm sorry, I cringe. BUT ITS UP, WHEEE!

Stock

@Erebos @Beloved

ALBRECHT
and strom

The young roan shows a surprising amount of personality with his maiden address, not just demanding action but initiating it, drawing a begrudging nod of approval from the old stallions wizened head and neck. Show, don't tell, he thinks, already seeing more promise in the new Generals leadership than any of his predecessors managed - or bothered - to put forward these past several months.

He listens with interest as the boy outlines his game, setting up targets by some unknown magic, and watches with only slightly less interest as the actual warriors take to their task with a predictable lack of imagination. The mare moves first, but he can't seem to find the right word for the way she moves, an odd mixture of stalking and dancing that makes it difficult to predict her movements. Whatever it is, she does it over to the smallest of the trees, then whirls herself seemingly mid-step and with surprising speed to slam both hind hooves into the thin trunk of her chosen adversary, snow and dislodged needles raining around her with the aftershocks of the blow.

The old stallion winces, imagining that reverberation of force ricocheting through his very bones, the old wound of his left shoulder pulsing faintly once with the memory of what hoof to flesh actually feels like.

The buckskin moves next, marching with an almost joyous intent toward the second largest of the pines, then dropping low and ramming one side of his wide set shoulders into the bark of the tree in a powerful sideswipe. The old stallion shakes himself, again envisioning the repercussions of such a move on his less-than-ideal physique.

With two trees left, the largest and the second smallest, he glances back at the General, verifying his welcome here one last time before stepping forward. In laughable contrast to the first two assaults, he neither charges nor dances toward the pines, but shambles, his head low and hocks popping in audible protest. He's self aware enough to know that he should be embarrassed, but he's also old and demoralized enough to not actually care, instead wracking his mind for an answer to the question.

His best move is usually running away, his long legs and legitimate fear of death and dismemberment lending him rare agility, but retreat from a tree would undoubtedly be frowned upon in this company and isn't likely to gain him any insight, so instead he halts in front of the largest young pine with uncertainty broadcasting from every detail of his posture.

He'd fended passably well for himself in the face of the black and gold asshats attack, but he'd spent most of that time avoiding damage rather than trying to cause it, only rallying a counter through the enemies own momentum and strength. He blinks, ears falling back in bafflement. It's not like the tree is about to suddenly anthropomorphize and launch itself at him - right?

"Ay." Lures a voice in his head, its corresponding body wriggling in the confines of wool fabric at the stallions chest. A metallic clink faintly breaks the silence of their non-verbal exchange. "Eh." The voice suggests, shoving the metal tooth caps into view with the bulge of a limbless coil. The stallion cocks his head, then reaches down to fit the Earth Turtles gift over his own yellowed teeth.

Thus armed, he stares at the tree a moment more, conjuring visions of past detractors - there are more than enough to choose from - and with a grunt he shifts his weight from four legs to two, rising only slightly on his hind legs, and drives forward and to the left of the tree, reaching to the side to sink his unnatural fangs into its trunk and tear away whatever bark and pulp becomes clenched between them as he passes.

"Talk."
OOC // @Erebos Takes his sweet ass time and then bites the tree because fuck you tree.

I told him to take care of his eyes,
because they're the only balls he has.

image credits

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

If they thought he was a fool, a dunce, inept and silly, they didn’t bother to mention it (something in his heart, in his mind, in his soul, melted at the notion – perhaps he wasn’t doomed, damned and consigned to oblivion before he’d even truly begun). He watched as all three – one by one – began to clatter, thread, and wind their way towards their chosen targets, and the General followed them, watched in rapt fascination as they began their task. Beloved laughed, becoming the first to interact with Orsino’s saplings, eyeing him as if he’d sprouted five heads, but relishing to the assignment all the same, and his gaze settled on her demonic form as she rushed towards the unmoving trees, slashing at the limbs with her sword, watching as the green buds became nothing more than fallen stick figures, landing in the snow or falling off opposing boughs. He chose to ignore her frantic motions thereafter (perhaps she hadn’t been in the mountains long if the glacial components bothered her so much), but grinned at her from nearby, pursuing the length of her assault with pride and satisfaction. “An excellent choice,” he nodded to her, tipping his skull in recognition of her clarity, “to use the weapons already forged for us.”

Then his stare slanted towards Arion, the newly named Corporal, as he headed towards his intended target. The other beast chose a slower approach – didn’t hasten across the grounds in a wild, savage chase, didn’t rampage along the ice in vicious, abhorrent upheaval, didn’t fly at it like an unrelenting assassin. Instead, he opted for light, swift beats, and the boy watched in eerie intrigue as Arion rammed his shoulder directly into the trunk (didn’t that hurt?), bending a portion of the sapling with power and prestige. Erebos, who’d always employed two central strategies (in fighting friends, comrades, and allies, he ensured small, minute movements that didn’t lend to brutality, and in engaging foes and adversaries, always instigated and antagonized with blunt, contemptuous assaults), was curious, questioning, over the leisurely pace Arion had set. Did he use the time to analyze his opponent? Or had it taken him long to prepare the appropriate assault? “An interesting decision,” the warrior said, lending the conviction of his experience slide into the arena, stare ghosting over the broken tree, “But take heed when the enemy is larger than you.” Then he grinned again, immersed in mischief, listening to the foreshadowed cackle of Orsino blistering through their connection.

Thereafter, only Albrecht remained – and Erebos’ smile was the largest for the elderly stag as he opted to join them in their escapades, content, satisfied, thrilled that he’d chosen to take part. It was necessary to know how to defend oneself, and the movements, though lethargic and brittle, showed much more cunning – because the boy noticed the evident difference in ivories as they crunched into bark and wood. “Now there’s a handy device,” he laughed through the hum and echo of power, not at Albrecht, but with surprise, with amusement, with a wildness seeping through his bones, along his veins. He even seemed to hum with pride, for them, this comically small group of warriors and phantom who had taken it upon themselves to become something more for their empire; for that alone, they should’ve been commended.

The youth wandered down the row to the last remaining tree, eyed it squarely for a moment, then placed his maw against its hardy structure, barely blinking an eye when the soft, minute glimpse of his touch caused it to burst into flame. The fire crackled along his ears, roared in petulance, in defiance, and he smiled once more, Cheshire and seditious, offered his attention only to those gathered, fervent and eager for the fray. “Thank you! I’m pleased to see we all had different maneuvers. You need to have an array of abilities when facing an enemy, because you never know what they’re going to do next.”

On cue, Orsino’s magic stirred again, rendering the saplings back and whole, as if they’d never been touched by enchantments, by gnawing teeth, blunt force, or horns. They didn’t bend, they didn’t bleed, they didn’t crackle – tangible and real and defiant, but altered in appearance. For Beloved, the tree grew more and more limbs, until it seemed to be a towering mess of appendages and buds, like a Hydra, sprouting arms from fallen limbs. For Arion, the sapling became taller and wider, rigid and powerful within the middle, granted a supportive trunk. For Albrecht, the young tree’s bark morphed into an inflexible conundrum, unbending, unyielding, inflexible, and firm. Even Erebos’ ceased its crackling measures, no longer burnt, seemingly inflammable, a thicker core of substance lacquered to its exterior.

So the boy’s stare wandered from tree to tree, from soldier to soldier, and the grin remained. “Never underestimate your opponent,” he nodded, beseeching, encouraging them to go again.

[Post order is still a lie! Choose another move! ;D The rounds will be getting progressively harder. ;D

OOC Note: Please remember that you can’t actually dictate what happens to the trees. While ordinarily I wouldn’t mind, in this case we’re practicing what would occur in a sparring scenario. You need to use phrases such as ‘tried to’ and ‘attempted to’, because if the trees were actual roleplayers/characters, Beloved’s and Arion’s posts could be considered powerplaying.

In Beloved’s post: which snap, and sever, or dangle meekly, clinging to their posts with stringy remnants of bark and twig. If you decided your spar or challenge partner’s limbs were suddenly severed, you’d receive some serious penalties on your rubric.

In Arion’s post: A dark smile of satisfaction spreads across his visage as he feels the spine of the tree begin to bend. If you decided your spar or challenge partner’s body suddenly bent, you’d also receive penalties on your rubric.

So, next time, please make sure to utilize careful phrasing. It’d be better to say ‘Beloved tried to swing her sword over a few of the limbs’ or ‘Arion attempted to shove his shoulder into the trunk’, because that allows the other roleplayer to decide what’s going to happen.

Albrecht’s was more vague, which would allow a roleplayer to be able to respond accordingly without being told what happened to their character, however, you can also practice using ‘tried to’ and ‘attempted’, etc. ;D]

Erebos

image || table

@Arion @Beloved @Albrecht

In the Valley of Death

The tree regrows.

She eyes the spectacle with her usual, nervously giggled reservations, an intake of breath, sharp, and condemning, marring the otherwise laughing-silence of her presence; her eyes rove, though only one really reveals the rapid movements of her gaze, as she watches the branches reappear with the General’s tricks.

Though her hooves had clearly ripped and maimed the feeble branches of the tree, they have risen again, with extra brethren in tow. Scoffing, a short, female sound, her tail smacks gently against her flanks, the only revelation of her irritation already born at this game. That each tree seemed to change to suit its soldier only further annoyed her, until she found that all she could do was be angry, and scowling, her laughter dying out for an occasional growl of discontent, her firm grasp on the frayed tethers of her sanity slackening.

She doesn’t trust the trees, for a number of reasons, mainly that these keep changing, more rapidly, even, than regular ones (which she also distrusted, to some degree, as she did most things that abruptly changed color and died, before rousing from that death, again and again, as if nothing had transgressed in the months prior). Sudden change, therefore, was offensive to the maiden of discord, especially when the change had directly negated that which she had attempted to alter, herself.

The distrust of the trees leads to a distrust of the situation, which leads to an unraveling of the darlings erratically bundled, knotted threads of sanity. The smallest of the trees, the one she’d chosen, seems to leer at her, mocking her very presence, and she tears her eyes away from it to scathingly blame the General for her perturbation with a glance, dainty hooves ceaselessly shifting beneath her. The tree, however, seems to care very little that she ignores it, and the lurid, imagined cackling of its branch and shadow mouth again pulls her malevolent gaze back to it, ears falling back with anger, and confusion.

She draws a deep breath, and bids the tree to silence with the vastness of her will. When it does not obey, she again charges towards it, though with less speed and dominance, her wild eyes wide as she leaps forward, her horn angled to pierce the annoying maw of the mocking pine. Unsure of herself, even as she has lost the ability to change her course, her leap already committed, her figure surging towards the illusionary evergreen in an grounded angel’s most temporary flight, the demoness narrows her eyes, and roars at the boughs of the tree as she (hopefully) surges through the clustered, outer boughs, with a few in tow.

Turning back around, already nervously panting, she awaits the peculiar tree’s next move.

BELOVED

Tag Beloved, please!

ALBRECHT
and strom

The thunk and crunch of metal piercing wood is surprising, empowering, the feel of his own muscles - these meager fibers - rending bark and pulp from the trunk of the tree in visceral fashion bolstering a sense of pride in himself, something so rarely seen in the old and decrepit. He jogs to a halt, forgetting the grinding and popping of his joints in this small moment of elation, and turns to see his own astonishment and - yes - joy, mirrored on the young Generals face while something like congratulations blooms from the second consciousness at the back of his mind.

The so often surly ears flick forward, abandoning their sour tilt to scoop the others almost-praise from the air between them, thinking the exercise completed to satisfaction. It’s with apprehension then that he watches the trees reform, reshape into bulkier, sturdier renditions of themselves, his own body reverting to its closed off angles. His newfound confidence wavers, submitting to the growl of uncertainty that reminds him, on no uncertain terms, that he is not and has never been a warrior. The few battles he’s taken part in have mostly been ceremonial, strictly controlled, and more recently, terrifying and entirely defensive.

He watches the mare launch forward a second time, seeking direction from her bold movements, and though this attack is more forthright than the last, he still thinks both her and the young buckskin are too haphazard with their own bodies, too careless of recoil and opposing forces, but, he thinks, watching her land and turn with an expectant, feral gaze, who is he to change the nature of the beast? Better to use that vehemence for a greater good, like saving himself from undue wear and tear. ”Ye.” The python agrees, still swaddled in wool.

So the old stallion sets his mind on the mare, inhaling deeply and gathering the magic of his willpower around himself until it tightens, condenses in the air, almost a palpable pressure now, and thrusts it towards her, hoping its effect will be enough to bend her to his bidding. “This one is more a test of your skill, I think.” He calls to her, gesturing loosely toward the tree now healed from his recent bite, waving with his tail instead of his nose or shoulder in an attempt to maintain eye contact, unsure of whether or not that makes a difference to his chances. He smiles, teeth still armed and glinting. “Won’t you show us?”

"Talk."
OOC // @Beloved @Erebos Attempts to use [ Magic: LightxSpark | Ability to stimulate pleasure centers of brain inducing attraction/affection. ] on Beloved.

Go on and take your piece of me, Blood or bone,
No matter, I'll still be here when you're done.

image credits

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

In the Valley of Death

With wild eyes she awaits the tree’s next move, or the General’s call, that she might be sheathed. She just not expect the others to reach out with their invisible coils, wrapping themselves snuggly about her thoughts, and so the sudden lust which blooms and looms like a vast wall of fire inside herself is unexpected, too. With a moan her giggling stops, her dual hued eyes tilting about, and towards the old man.

She had ignored him before, but why? Her tiny pupil widens at the sight of his glorious build, the splendorous hidden curve of his aged sinew beneath the perfection of his ancient, black coat. The strange, inverse mane draws her attention, too, as does the smooth ridge of his neck, the angular lines of his bony frame…

Ruled by instinct, the sort of seek pleasure, and never deny it, the ivory witch is spellbound by the magic which riddles though her pores. A sensuous purr perforates her movements, her steps slow, and desirous, numbered three, before the man bids her stop with the simple lifting of his voice.

"Of course," she giggles, her voice a dark curl of smoke, again turning about to the trees, but seeking not the smallest among them; though her gaze narrows upon the enemy, distrustful still of the changing conifers, and their lurid, piney stares, she canters forth. Having been told by the master upon the end of her leash that she might not do one thing twice, the maiden slides to a halt at the last moment, showering a cascading wake of snow towards the tree’s boughs; behind the snow, she looms, and rises, like a shark beneath the black belly of a boat, swimming to the dropping diver, unseen until it is too late. Her jaws widen, her cackling laughter beckons, and with a snapping of her ivories she seeks to tear asunder the boughs she has been dictated by Adonis himself to destroy.

So she turns back to him when she is done, her small body sensually swaying in all the right ways, strange eyes pinned upon the man who may not truly understand just what sort of cat he has lured with his traps.

"Does that suit you?" she croons, brushing by him so that their shoulders, and the soft curve of her haunches might kiss his; regardless, its still as close as he will let her be, tail lifted, neck arched, her haunting gaze forever trapped upon the face and figure of the man who thought he’d trapped her, her dainty hooves carrying him around to his backside, where she lecherously admires the slope of her man’s ass, before nipping roughly towards the aged man’s flesh. Slinking back to his side, her eyes dreamily attach themselves to Albrecht’s, while an ear awaits the next demand of the boy General.

[ OOC: LOL you fiend ]

BELOVED

@Albrecht
Tag Beloved, please!

They came again, didn’t give in to the changes, to the malleable warping of the saplings, and the boy watched again – eager to see where they’d triumph, where they’d falter, and how he could assist in between. Beloved, all white fury, all devilish incantations, forgot the eerie nature of her giggles, of her torrential laughter, and progressed towards her tree again (though he noted her discordant glance, and he smiled in return, full of impish delight at her irritation). She rose towards the multiple, outstretched branches, roaring, slashing, diving against their mighty boughs, and they fell, one by one, four or so littering the ground with their vanquished threads and broken munitions. “Very nice!” He called out to her, the grin never narrowing, never faltering; truly pleased she’d at least acquiesced to his request, despite the noxious vexation likely building through her foundation. The diversion was amusing and educational – he enjoyed witnessing what these few disciples had in store, what caused their ire, their wrath, what inspired them to move forward, to drive their forces into an adversary, an enemy, an opponent. The youth turned to glance at Arion too, waiting for the inevitable pull of the Corporal’s strength or tenacity, but nothing came, and he furrowed his brows slightly, taking note of either a line drawn in the sand, insubordination, or unrest.

However, Albrecht returned to the fray. The boy wondered what the phantom would utilize next (because the metallic tool had been so intriguing; weaponry hidden in its wares), and riveted his attention solely upon the elderly stag – but nothing came. He seemed to stand there for a few moments, either contemplating, scrutinizing, or biding his time, and Erebos wondered if he’d do the same as Arion, and fizzle into nothing, oaths and promises, convictions and tenacity unfulfilled.

Was this one more disaster in the making? Had he erred somehow? The prince nearly withdrew to his own sapling, striving to discern another noteworthy plan to annihilate its limbs and trunk, when he heard Albrecht’s voice over the valley – his ears turned, his fixation molded once more – the impersonator’s gaze segmented completely on Beloved.

The resulting nuances, the silent incantations, the bestial shades in which everything turned impressed and disgusted the scion. He could appreciate the way manipulation worked – the twisting, the turning, the placement of just so methods and ploys that distorted another into something they’d never truly do or encompass – besides, he had his own means and measures of corruption seething behind his skull, whittling away at his bones, roaring at his behest. He couldn’t completely judge Albrecht’s notions without looking back at himself, without lacquering the world in hypocrisy, but where they likely differed was who they implemented the enchantments upon.

Erebos had never strived to bombard one of his own with the spiraling, dangerous, potent granules of control, influence, and supremacy. He’d never insisted on whispering directions into their minds, into their hearts, into their souls, and played puppet master on fellow members of the glaciers and mountains. That Albrecht did was concerning; because how many other times had this happened? He waited until Beloved had agreed, forced into bludgeoning the opposing tree, before striding down to the both of them, features hardened, smile missing, words conjured to infer his mixed emotions on the matter. "What an intriguing magic. I must applaud you for your cunning,” he started, eyes narrowed, focusing on Beloved for the moment, on the crooning, on the madness, that likely wouldn’t have been there without the beast’s influence. “However, to use it on a fellow herd member is disastrous, disloyal, and treacherous.” There, his stare found Albecht again, the storm brewing his eyes segmented entirely on the aged frame, the snake in the grass, the serpent beneath all of their noses; he didn’t want to presume he’d do it again, but the notion was locked there, in his crown, in his figure. “We aim to protect and trust one another. Sew your discord upon an enemy, but never a friend.”

He turned back to look at Beloved, speaking to Albrecht as he studied her. “Release her,” came the command, not to be deterred or ignored, then twisted back to his own tree. The enchantments seared, simmered, and emboldened past his chest, fuming from the recent exploits, and molded the limbs, the boughs, to cruelly curl back on themselves; splintering, fracturing, coiling in an unnatural, eerie state.

He nodded to Orsino once more, and the kitsune sneered, growled, and orchestrated their last bout of the game – reviving the saplings. They bloomed new limbs from their fallen constituents, they sprung from warped holes, from broken, barbed roots, and regained their promised prowess. This time, instead of being stagnant, unmoving, still pieces of wooden armaments, they seemed alive, springing in varying manners and measures. Beloved’s instantly became mirages, split into ghostly images of five, aiming to surround her, to encircle her frame with their swinging limbs and outstretched, gnarled fingers, only one real and true, the others mere hallucinations. Albrecht’s gained an ominous endeavor, reaching forward to try and grab the companion swaddled in its wool, trying to slash, to lacerate, to pin and devour. Arion’s rose to an absolutely enormous height, a titan, uprooting and maneuvering forward to attack, a gigantic monster with eldritch motivations. Then Erebos’s, perhaps even more vile, turned into the outlined shape, a silhouette, of a figure he knew too well (Enna, he noted immediately, and here Orsino cackled, gaining more and more amusement from the barbs and thorns thrown into this merciless wake). “One more round,” he uttered to his soldiers, to his citizens, to the ones he pledged to uphold, protect, and strengthen.

[Post order is still a lie! One more round! Choose one more move. ;D Complete this one and there may be something good for you at the end!

Beloved: Tree shows up in various images, tries to encircle and surround her. Only one is actually “real”.

Albrecht: Tree tries to snatch/steal Albrecht’s snake.

Arion: Tree rises to an unnatural height, starts moving towards him.]

Erebos

image || table

@Arion @Beloved @Albrecht

ALBRECHT
and strom

The mare yields to his will without so much as a moments impasse. Her feral, almost predatory gaze shifts wholly to him and in the face of such naked savagery he steps back, unsure if the guttural noises coming from her throat are a warning or an agreement, fearful and fleeing the stalking steps she takes toward him. Thankfully she stops, the growling, gurgling murmur of noise rising into a new bought of laughter as she answers his query - Of course.

His ears flick forward, releasing a tensely held breath as the mare turns away, breaking her too intense stare. Again he watches her mount an offensive, this time her movements more measured, a snippet of the intelligence tucked behind her bestial nature showing in the way that she veils her positioning, distracting with a flurry of kicked up snow while the wrath of her jaws snakes forward to rend and rip. He glances back to the General, guileful and clearly impressed with himself as the she-devil slinks around his decrepit figure, though the squeal of surprise from her nip - more akin to a full fledged chomp from his side of the experience - shatters any illusion of dignity he might have built.

The blue roans second bout of praise quickly turns to criticism, condemning the old stallion not for the use of his magic, but for who he chooses to use it on, as if subsisting in the same general area makes those around him of untouchable status. He shrugs, dismissing the notion, but the command that follows turns his head, a quizzical tilt to his brows. Release her? His ears fall at opposite angles, emerald eyes cutting back to the mare who still stands staring as boldly and unerringly as before, more so even. With the others - Rexanna, Rikyn, Sabia - the magic had simply worn off after a time, their true feelings emerging as if from a fog and he has no reason to believe it won't this time too, but the intensity of the mares staring is unsettling, so he nods, briefly asserting - in his own mind if nowhere else - that the magic lose its vigor, rescind into the space of his consciousness until next he calls upon it.

And then the trees are moving again, drawing the unicorns attentions away from each other and back to the task in front of them. The old black has time enough to hear the kitsunes cackle, to register a blur - no, multiple blurs - of movement to his right, before his own tree is leaning, reaching with spiny, branching arms and fingers aimed at his throat. It doesn't even occur to him that the trees efforts might not be directed at tearing his jugular from the skin of his neck. He simply reacts, rising on his hind legs to meet strike for strike, front legs churning wildly, frantic in his defense of self. His mouth hangs open, a bellow of surprise and anger bursting from it, and then his hocks begin to shake, to falter under even the slight weight of his body, made brittle by age and arthritis. So he pivots, shifting from hind legs to fore and kicking out in an effort to cover his escape, but the buck is too violent, too vehement, and his right hind pops under the strain, something internal painfully wrenched or torn, forcing him to land on three legs instead of four.

"Talk."
OOC // @Erebos @Beloved UH OH

image credits

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

In the Valley of Death

She had not truly realized that it had been conceit that had drawn to her the sudden passions for the aging stag, having truly not given the sudden urge a thought as to why. As Erebos reveals the act as such, however, the witch snorts, her crown pulling back, her ears flattening to her crown, while her pale tail lashes viciously about her haunches with pops. Still, however, the desires are roused, and though fire now burns atop them, they reside none-the-less, a rushing, amber current upon which the maddened one is swept.

Snarling, biting again at the aged man, this time without the protection of innocent lust, fueled by the rancorous, dangerous hormones he has aroused with his audacity, the malevolent maiden is not so easily cast aside. Laughing at the both of the men for their feeble attempts to subdue her, and their belief that she was still bound by more than the shackles of madness which had rusted fast to her ankles, Beloved does not tear her eyes from the beguiler, not until she is suddenly ringed in trees.

A nervous whine escapes her, sealed with the rough trumpet of a snort. With splayed limbs, she defensively searches the illusions with her eyes for weakness, anything, but their sudden appearance, and her residual desire to both maim and molest the russet trickster, fighting his own pine, makes it ever so hard to focus. With tittering cackles, sometimes singing up into worried, wincing sounds of feminine doubt, the mare does nothing but seethe and glare at the trees, nervously turning about and prancing.

At last, however, she bounds, her fore hooves landing squarely together against the earth; from that focal point, a shudder blooms, and expands, trembling through the ground with ferocious might, and hopefully blasting the illusionary trees into nothingness. Screaming and rearing away from her own magic (unwittingly the possessor of it), the mare nearly capsizes in the panicked motion, but rights herself with stumbling steps; no sooner has she gathered her balance, than she attempts to burl through the ring of trees (should they still remain), shoulder first, eager to be free of the confines of the pines.

[ OOC: Accidentally uses her rank magic and then proceeds to be like FUCK THIS and attempts to flee the tree/ground shaking demon :'D ]
BELOVED

@Erebos @Albrecht
Tag Beloved, please!

The youth was a witness once more, biding his time away from assaulting his own tree (he knew it wasn’t really Enna, but the way it wielded and molded and shaped itself into her likeness was unsettling, and if he ignored it for a time, perhaps it wouldn’t remind him of too many things), stare fleeting on each subject. Albrecht appeared to dismiss his disapproval, maybe he’d heard it all before, but the boy wouldn’t relent so easily – he’d ensure the phantom was watched (because if he’d committed such an act on one of his own, what had he done before the rest of the world?). Orsino almost laughed at the inquiry floating through the prince’s head, and Erebos shoved it down alongside so many other potent thoughts and feelings, trying to forgo the eerie sense of slippery slopes and grating scales.

But there was nothing this time from Albrecht; not a lofty incantation cast at a herd member, not a set of teeth brandished from some other creature, not a momentous swing of unrelenting speed or refinement. The General watched as he seemed to grow distraught, limbs flailing, bellowing, and then the elder stag manifested into a buckling nuance, a shattering mess, an audible pop crashing through the sounds of wooden branches creaking and diving. Erebos’ eyes narrowed, brows furrowed, coiling a feral command through he and the sable kitsune’s bond with a voracious Stop, and the fox rolled his eyes but did as he was instructed. The tree ceased movement and motion altogether, frozen with a few boughs hanging perilously, cracked and splintered from Albrecht’s abrupt bucks. A modicum of concern centered through the gallant portion of the scion, heart beating a little faster, worried that perhaps he’d pushed too hard, too far, and this truly would be all for naught, shouting over the horizon, down towards the cloak and daggered thief. “Do you require a healer?” They could end this all swiftly; he could send Orsino for one of the Menders, patch him together again, wonder why on earth he’d even bothered (and if this would be a monumental screw-up, a mistake, a blunder, poised aloft on his head well before he’d even had a chance to become something other than a nameless figure).

Then Beloved began her assault, and he had to turn to seize her moment too. Her irritation bubble and fumed, brewed and pervaded, tangible amidst the wild, savage winds of beckoning trees and savage saplings, but her laughter was still there, still vivid, still eerie. Even as apprehension seared along the roots of her motions (maybe she’d never been assaulted by images and illusions, by the wake of so many moving tyrannies), she still didn’t give in (and that earned her a brilliant grin across his youthful face, boyish and exuberant, almost daring to cheer her on). The pulse of her warrior invocations blurred across the ground, reverberating, pulsing, and the maneuvering saplings couldn’t stand any longer, forced to fumble along twisted roots and gnarled footholds, faltering in place and then descending altogether, falling to the ground without a thud or thump. “Nicely done!” He yelled, not mocking, not searing, only simmering in a rush of triumph for her methods, plots, and schemes.

It was his turn thereafter, and he swallowed down the bile clasping over his throat, not looking at the sapling structure of Enna. Instead, he rummaged down deep into his soul, pulled at the strings of a rugged madness lingering in the nefarious depths, in the vicious condemnation, in the roll of undulating fury, and contorted it towards her likeness. He didn’t even spare a glance, couldn’t dare, couldn’t dream of it, as the wave of anger and fury bore down upon it (at Orsino for provoking him in such a way, at the sentiments of failure still clinging around him). It crumbled and folded away on a wisp of spring air, echoing with a silent cry, a haunting cry (How could you?) he knew Orsino had conjured from some poignant dream, gnashing his teeth, grinding his jaw, striding away from the ruined spot, ensuring everything came to a close before he flickered apart.

“Congratulations,” he boasted from the grounds, as if everything had been a rousing success and their meeting hadn’t been a dying ember, between Arion’s silence, Albrecht’s wounds, and Beloved’s faltering at her own comrade’s incantations. It’d been a learning curve, a starting point, at the very least, and now that he understood their skills, perhaps he had a chance to enlighten them, guide them, and provide them with a pathway down to refinement in bloodshed, in abomination, in protection and annihilation. From his mane, twisting his neck to take it out of one of his black locks, he produced a single moon amulet, a beautiful, darkened sphere born from the deity of shadows and soullessness, holding it between his teeth and tongue. “For you,” he presented to Beloved, reaching it out across to the ivory she-devil, infusing it with a coating of his nefarious magic, brandishing the lacquer of corruption and devastation until the vessel seemed to have its fill; devouring and holding it until Beloved felt the need to utilize its cunning and potency. “A reward for completing your task and trials without failure.” He nodded, dropping it at her feet with a roguish grin and a delighted snicker, too much Cheshire in the wings of hollowed outlooks. Then he turned, trying to encompass them all, dying to ascertain where they’d go next and how they were to grow from here, bobbing his head, bowing to their presence, noble words echoed along his mouth. “Thank you for participating. It was intriguing to see your skills – and now, we can begin to hone them.”

[Thank you for coming!!!! Beloved is rewarded with a moon amulet with Erebos' corruption magic stored inside for completing each round. :D

Stay tuned for our next warrior meeting! -bows-]

Erebos

image || table

@Beloved @Albrecht

ALBRECHT
and strom

Either the task is considered complete when he first strikes out at the living tree, or the General and his multi-tailed fox take mercy on the old stallions pitiful show, because even as he’s turning a white rimmed eye toward the adversary behind its reaching limbs are falling still, stopping their frenzied assault, frozen mid-swipe like a hollows eve yard prop. He breathes a sigh of relief, slowly lowering the injured right hind leg from its hovering position, gingerly touching toe to ground. It doesn’t hurt any more to stand on it than it does to hold it up, so whatever damage is done is superficial rather than mechanical, which is a good sign.

He grimaces at the mention of a healer, imagining yet another instance of the Songbird coming to clean up his mess, and immediately shakes his head. “No.” He rumbles, planting the leg firmly beneath himself and stepping forward with only the slightest signs of pain tightening the skin around his eyes and mouth. There’s an imbalance to his gait, but whether it’s a new imbalance or the same one he shambled in with is impossible to tell. He noses into the fabric tied around his neck, dropping the pointed metal caps from his mouth. “Can’t fix old age.” He hedges, but it’s unnecessary. The General is already turning his attention to the mare and to his own tree in turn, and he must like what he sees, for the next words out of his mouth are congratulations.

The pendent he produces for the mare is beautiful, swirling with a dark, foreboding magic that attracts the elders eyes and tilts his ears in its direction. He watches the item change hands, jealous and resentful of the ’without failure’ tacked onto the end of the Generals terms like a disqualification meant just for him. Well excuse the fuck out of me, he thinks bitterly, turning away from the pair to seek comfort elsewhere.

"Talk."
OOC // @Erebos Thank you for putting this on! It's been fun. :)

image credits

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

In the Valley of Death

The limp of the seducer as they regain their status as flock, undivided, is noted by the pale one with a smirk. Weakness, evident in so many about her, thrives, abundant and flush, and the withering one hobbles a display of the power of decay. Though he rejects healing, stoically taking his paces with the faintest of grimaces, they are there, underlying, and again, Beloved takes for granted the perpetual existence she has found herself caught in. She condemns him, for his age, without remorse for the truth that he cannot do anything but age.

He is mortal. She is not. When time grows heavy on her limbs there always seems to come a second life, a third, a forth, a twentieth, a hundredth, until so many reached back through her mind that she could not trace the true life at its heart anymore, each of her selves reborn from the same fragmented beginning, the unknown.

What she knows: she rose, proud like the Moon over the body of her fallen creator. She always stands, she always walks away, as if there was never the cold, black empty of death pressing upon her soul, and turns her back to the shining of the silver path in the night, the Reaper’s bending scythe. This world is not yet such a void, with no peace to behold but in the very bowels of its being, where the others dare not tread, and though she longs for its comfort, she is a soldier. She does not bend to the weakness of her longing for home.

There is still work to be done here, the demoness softly murmurs to herself, incomprehensible as more than syllables peering between the concealing babble of her giggles; her eyes, strange, and dual toned, never part from the old one, however, no matter how deeply her thoughts delve, how far from the now she truly sees.

The bauble, then, which her General offers her seems to suddenly materialize before her vision, her hungry eyes widening with surprise, and glee. "Mine?" she questions, but does not wait, too eager to touch the object to last longer than a split second past the closer of her word. Its black aura’s touch upon her pale muzzle causes an almost lecherous shudder to her form along the length of her spine, her lips kissing its face before she swiftly snatches it her grasp, madly swaying and chortling as she maneuvers the chain to slip it about her neck.

"It glints in the dark," riddles the grinning loon, as if the General is to understand what her cryptic nothings mean. Soon, however, almost too soon, she is distracted by the departure of the beguiler, her brows and ears falling with anger, and dismay. Scoffing, stamping a foot, she shoots a glare of farewell to the blue stallion before floating after the moody old fellow.

"We are not done with you," cajoles her cherub’s voice, the ripple of her laughter somehow insinuating that, perhaps, molestation is the last of the elder’s worries tonight.

[ OOC: She means thank you I think? ]

BELOVED

@Albrecht @Erebos
Tag Beloved, please!