the Rift

[OPEN] Winter Bird

Cassius Posts: 46
Aurora Basin Haurspex atk: 3.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.0h :: 4 [Birdsong] HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
mar

»› C A S S I U S ‹«

The sun has fallen, hours ago. The night unveils the stars that shower the sky, littering the canvass with clusters swirling in particular patterns. Twinkling from a midnight backdrop, endless, unknown to those who could not reach beyond the atmosphere. Cassius is mesmerized in the quiet. Lost to the quiet wind, content – for the time being – to watch soundly within the Edge’s heart.

The stallion’s breath rolls forward in puffs of heavy smoke. His silver tail undulates by habit, though it lacks the twitchiness of an anxious soul. He is recounting his times spent watching the night sky. Remembers the lonely road, and the memories that followed his wake. They did not embrace him as they did then; when the escape from his homeland was fresh and raw, and his guilt had brought him to tears. Saturated his soul with cowardice.

He does not know how he was able to move further than what his sobs allowed him. How his pathetic moans avoided the scouts, who must have been sent to bring him back. Somehow he escaped, but not in the grandest of ways. He slithered his way out of the kingdom, wretched and saturated by the faces of his friends.

“Here we are,” he murmurs sadly. Yearning for a voice, a sign of his existence in this world. And there it was, escaping him – drifting into the oblivion. The elegant stallion shook his head, snapped his eyes shut – briefly – before he searched the surrounding grounds about him.

Where are they? He inquires. Where is my new family? Sequestered in these hills, locked away in the permafrost… A weak laugh escapes him. His eyes are heavy – not from thought, rather, from the old wounds that cease to be healed. They manage to heal just enough to be closed – for a season – before they unfurl their progress and hang open. They require time, he soothes. They will come around, they will forgive me, they will forget me…

He swallows the small lump in his throat, and tosses his head. Causing the silk he has for hair to haphazardly spill whichever way. The young stallion lifts his head, his nose, and eager to catch wind of any old scent that passes by, he takes the first one he can find. Long limbs take their cue, he’s on a mission, he’s secretly desperate to pass the time with someone – anything to keep his mind occupied. The wounds he leaves, ignored for the time being, have lent their pain long enough that they are dull and weak throbs that ebb into his bones. Should he really consider their presence, the tethers that bind him to his past, he fears he might fall a part.

Cassius simply didn’t have the patience, or the time to consider their purpose. Not yet, anyways.

On he went, following the wavering scent – trailing behind it like a lost dog. He’d come across someone sooner or later. Or whoever trailed along these paths, alone and witness to the worlds that showered above them.

Cassius’ honeyed voice inevitably entered the world as he continued his pursuit. Humming all the while, something quaint, something old and ancient that brought an unyielding comfort to the gray.

@Enna     -- herb teaching thread? XP If you have time! Left it open for any wandering souls -wiggles brows-

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels
but i remember warmth and i could have sworn i wasn't alone

Night has always been your favorite time.

You wait within the mouth of your cave, curled up contently against the stone, watching as the last of the color bleeds into starlight. It has been constant comfort to you, the stars the keepers of silly childhood stories that are precious to you; providing a closeness in their familiarity, in the knowledge that they are the same stars that you used to watch when you were young, when there was still that first we before you knew the hurt of loss, the stillness of death, before it became just you.

There had been the sun, and the sea too, before you had lost your daughter beneath it and the nightmares re-awoke within you, before you came to know your love of a man on the shore, before he showed you beautiful things so that when he left you you could not go without remembering him, too.

But the night has remained.

Its shadows are a reminder that, however small it has been, you have grown.

They no longer shift into the monsters that your brother had frightened you with when you were little (‘What do they hide?’, he had asked, that boy of shadow and the deep blue-gray of a stormy sea, as if he would have tempted them from their lairs, chased them away, away so that you would no longer be afraid, as if he had wanted to be that feeling of terror, and you shake your head, understanding, knowing, what you had not back then, when he was just a boy of charming smiles and wore a crown of thorns around his heart just like you always have, and you shiver at the thought, twist away before you become engulfed in the fear of just what will happen to him) that had followed you through dreams and across what has always seemed to be the length of the universe in between the place where a family had died, buried beneath waves and an ocean, and where you belong now.

You breathe out into the snow-covered valley, your kaleidoscope eyes lingering for just a moment on the still lake and the place where a King had died. Your brows furrow, your thoughts flickering to your prince and his monumental loss. The whole of the Basin had lost something on that day, something that you likened to the presence of the mountains, the snow, your precious stars: always there and eternal.

It would be a lie to say that you are not concerned for the valley, for those that you have mended time and time again within its confines, for the prince made General, who had crumbled beneath his father’s death, and what comes next.

Your legs unfold from beneath you, body lurching rather gracelessly as you find your feet and begin to descend from your cavern hidden among the trees to find your friend. Maybe you don't know what to do, how to help in the face of uncertainty, and maybe there is nothing that you can say that will ease the ache in his soul, no magic to mend it, but you can offer your company, your heart to pour his sorrows in.  

There is a quiet melody that is hummed as you continue down your snowy path, one that is ignored as it grows louder, as the sound of movement and breathing becomes clearer, until there is no ignoring it. He emerges from the thick of the trees, and you are sorely tempted to simply turn and make your way through the deeper portions of snow, avoiding the creature that found it appropriate to waltz right up onto your doorstep. And you would, if it weren't for the exhaustion permeating from deep within your bones, your recent intolerance of the cold as your body has struggled to heal itself. If there weren't just the slightest bit of worry that he has sought you out for a reason given your title and magic within this herd, even though you do not see anything obviously wrong with him. Still, your eyes narrow as you pause, and you force a loud breath from your chest. 'Is there something I can help you with?'

@Cassius
sorry, she's a bit of a grump :D ♥

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death

Cassius Posts: 46
Aurora Basin Haurspex atk: 3.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.0h :: 4 [Birdsong] HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
mar

»› C A S S I U S ‹«

He slips further and further from reality between the dips and swings of his song. Takes him farther out from the confines of the cold earth, seeking refuge with the lights that hang overhead. In his mind they are singing with him, their beams of light wavering in the dark – continue to pierce through the death and gloom that overhangs the herd. Pushing back memories, dissolving their need to stain his mind this moment. They do not exist, despite the lyrics and songs that mourn and wrestle for their souls. He is merely a single voice in the throng of spirits herald by the Basin, squirming, chaffing against each other for reason.

Despite having lost himself, the scent has only grown stronger since his stroll. It leads him closer to the mountain walls. Among thick pine, that shudders with the quiet breeze that dare travel among the greenery. Like himself, it is naïve to the loss that cause the pine to groan. Upsetting the delicate perches of snow, going unnoticed once the dull thump of weight is left; reserved to someday melt away.

Cassius’ steps remain fixed and careful. Despite his attuned nostrils, he fails to grasp the maiden’s features until her voice pulls him out of his reverie. A discourse, a snapping that is round and nearly muted in the vacancy of his mind. The tune dissolves as he stares dumbly at the mare, inhaling her scent, ensuring her presence in the wood. The stallion would have offered his muzzle in greetings - to ensure she was not a specter. More so, the lost dog merely wanted to feel her warmth, the contact of a friend that might settle him in the denizens of the Basin.

Of course, he cannot touch her. She is like ice, her eyes – although mismatched, pierce through him like a knife to fine paper.

“P-perhaps.” Is the sound of that paper ripping, and how small and fragile he’d sounded then. A boy lost without his mother, taking the façade of a young man. It is in his nature to break out into a small smile, even if it’s due to the anxiety that quivers deep within him. The man at least, can hold his face true without the nervous twitch behind his tail – for it sways and undulates for that very reason.

“I… I think I remember you. From the meeting, but I fail to recall a name.” His confidence accompanies the more he speaks. Stutters eventually smooth out, unfold and begin to bloom radiantly from his voice. The song has finally left his head, and he gives it a light shake and a breezy inhale before dipping his head.

“Cassius, disciple.” He pauses, to allow her to speak up before he remembers something. The notion of it brightens his honeyed eyes, providing the slight tilt he casts upon the flaxen mare – her crown beholding her face, grand and elegant.

“I search for knowledge, or wisdom. If there is anything I can do or learn…” The stallion is suddenly eager, just as his voice blooms it holds steady and beseeches the stranger – herd mate – for the secrets locked and looming about them. He is suddenly aware of the purpose he now holds, unsure of how to mold or craft it on his own.  

@Enna    
oh no worries. Grumps are the best. ;P