the Rift

[OPEN] home is where i drop the anchor (joining)

Bartholomeo Posts: 46
World's Edge Protector atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7.0
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16'2hh :: 7 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Snow

The pirate had not intended to join a herd. His plan had been to come into Helovia, find his missing possessions and leave, making no friends along the way and leaving nothing but fading hoofprints in the sand to denote his presence here. Alas, fate has conspired against him. Not only has he made friends but he's located family too, and now he can't picture himself leaving in the near future even if by some miracle he does manage to track down his missing equipment.

With the threat of Kaos looming high overhead, Bartholomeo thinks the time is right to leave the outcast life behind. It is with a healthy sense of self-preservation that the antlered stallion has decided to join the ranks of a herd, to offer his services in return for their protection. That's quite aside from the fact that his favourite sister Aelfwine, brother Tilney and niece Maude all live in one particular herd - the World's Edge. He enjoys his own company, but he'd by lying if he said he didn't like the idea of spending more time with his family, being part of something bigger like during the halcyon days of his bachelor crew.

Aeflwine has told him where the Edge is, and the chimeric stag makes his way towards it one chilly Birdsong morning. His stride is a jaunty trot and he hums a tune to himself as he moves through the wilderness of Helovia, contemplating what it will be like to be amongst his own kind again. So far, his impressions of this particular branch of the land are good - it's stunningly beautiful and he can hear the sea pounding far below, reassuring him and improving his mood greatly. He couldn't imagine living inland, trapped between mountains and forest - he was born to be beside the sea, with the thunder of waves in his ears and the salty tang of brine on his tongue.

So engrossed is he in humming his tune and listening contently to the sound of the ocean that he doesn't pay attention to what's in front of him. "Oooof." He walks face-first into a giant spike of glass, glimmering iridescent in the dawn sunlight and quite clearly denoting the borders of the herdland. The stag backs away, shaking his head to clear the stars he's seeing, and observes the jagged spikes with interest. They are savage-looking things, razor sharp and deadly, and he wonders how the hell he is supposed to ask to join if he can't get past them. Hmmm. It's concerning that a herd needs such fortifications - are they often under attack, or just very safety-conscious?

Either way, there's not much the bay stallion can do but stand with a cocked leg and unleash a loud, shrill whinny for anybody inside the Edge to come and greet him.

B A R T H O L O M E O
image credits

Open for anyone! Barty wants to join :D @Tilney @Maude @Aelfwine maybe?

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

let the winds erase me,

like the memory of a kiss

She had always planned to stay, but she didn’t know what else she had expected. Nothing, probably. She’d never know what life could be like outside of Morham, never dreamed or thought of some other life at all. Her life had been far from perfect, but it had been good. It had been a life she had not wanted to leave, and coming to Helovia was something that happened out of requirement, not choice. She had planned to stay, had planned to make a home for herself. And she’d done that, in some ways. The Edge was home. She had friends.

Still, sometimes it didn’t feel like home. Not in the way Morham had. Though she was beginning to wonder if that was because everyone around her seemed to have family here, while she was alone. Perhaps that fact would have hurt less if her sister wasn’t supposed to be here with her. But Adelene had come to Helovia with her, and then disappeared from the Threshold. Perhaps they would not have chosen the same paths in Helovia, but still, they could have visited. Still, Adelene would have been somewhere nearby. As it stood, Lyanna had no idea what had become of her sister.

If she was being very truthful, she felt like it was her fault. Adelene was younger, was Lyanna’s responsibility. And Lyanna had left the girl to find her own path, thinking that would be best, letting her sister choose her own life. And in those moments when Lyanna turned her back, Adelene disappeared. She had failed her whole family then. She had not heard rumors of the plots against her brother and parents. She had not seen that Adelene was not ready to be on her own.

She could not fix the past. She could only learn from her mistakes and try not to repeat them in the Edge. She could make sure she did not fail her herd.

Today, she is coming back to the Edge, flying in because it’s the easiest way around those spikes and really, because she always flies in anyway. A form outside the glass spikes catches her eye, and soon a loud call to the herd. Already nearby, she lands outside the spikes to see who’s lingering on the outside of them. It doesn’t take her long to figure out the stallion is a familiar one, and her face breaks into a friendly smile when she realizes who it is.

“Bartholomeo” she says warmly, coming to a stop in front of the larger stallion. “How are you?” she asks, and then quickly adding, “and what brings you to the Edge?” Realizing that of course, he’s probably not here for small talk with her. He’s probably here for an actual reason, so she might as well be of use.

lyanna

let these waters takes me

Image © Rhiaan

@Bartholomeo - I hope it's okay if she crashes the party!

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
E r t h Ë

Under the moonlight, under your moonlit gaze
I know I'd take a million bullets, babe

She was not far away when the man's voice carried to her ears on a languid springtime breeze. Though not exactly void of anything to do, she had always enjoyed the chance to meet with visitors to the Edge, and curiosity was a bad habit of hers. Pushing away what had been on her mind at the time of the interruption, the blue-toned young mare made her way towards the borders, not hurrying but arriving in good time nevertheless. As she came upon the edge of the woods and saw the gleaming spikes she raised a brow, curious as to why they would be raised on a normal, quiet day. Was Tembovu testing their new defenses perhaps?

Stuck on the other side of the foreboding barrier stood a stallion, a stranger she had never seen before. Pausing a moment, she regarded him with head cocked; tall, dark, admittedly handsome with roguish locks and an impressive rack of antlers on his head, he looked the part of an outcast, sufficiently scarred to make her both wary and impressed.

"Yes? Can I help you?" she asked, not so much cool as calmly thoughtful as she appraised the man.

She had to admit, in hindsight, that it was comforting to have this barrier to separate them. When she next had a chance, perhaps she ought to say some words to Tembovu about it, let him know that she appreciated it more than expected. Perhaps it ought to be a standard to keep the spikes raised, rather than hidden beneath the ground, to give the gateway in the south more purpose, perhaps to ease the task of patrols and reception of new arrivals for the warriors. If this person had not been given pause by the daunting contraption Erthë wasn't sure she would have been able to keep up with him long enough to hear his business with the herd, and stopping him from potentially intruding would have been... well, impossible, to be frank.

Before she received a reply however, Lyanna was there alongside them, and she seemed to recognize the man, enough so to grant him both smiles and say his name. Raising a brow Erthë looked between the two, and curiously she sidled closer to her friend and reached out over the barrier to touch her smooth, black neck, should she be within distance to do so.

"Who is this guy?" she asked in a quiet murmur, meant for Lyanna's ears only. "He a... friend of yours?" Her grinned was lopsided and slightly mischievous, eyes glittering and full of teasing implications as she looked between the two.

Hey, it was rare to see Lyanna talk to stallions; who was she to refrain from teasing the mare about it now that she had a chance? It's what friends are for.

Credit

@Bartholomeo @Lyanna

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Aelfwine Posts: 101
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 6 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Vanya :: Common Cerndyr :: Lamplight Skylark

Where in the hell has he been?” Aelfwine grumbled to herself as she walked toward the gate to the Edge, having spent the last several days out searching for her brother. Tilney was content in the Edge with Maude and Arah, and so she didn’t feel the need to have to worry if he was out siring more children. This time, her attention was located on her pirate brother Bartholomeo who she had spent much of her upbringing with when she was old enough to have slipped from her mother and dearest brother’s sides. She had experienced much with the chimeric stallion, so much that she felt an extra closeness to Barty that she didn’t quite feel with anyone else.

However, as her cloven feet danced across the Birdsong’s earth, she heard a call that was unmistakable to her. “Oh!” She admitted with a slight giggle, changing her course and happily cantering toward the location she imagined her brother to be. However, unlike before, she didn’t feel the need to try and stab him for leaving her behind. This time, she didn’t feel the need to confront him about anything. It was simply just a happy reunion. Though as the dappled doe approached, she spotted a pegasus mare speaking to him and another pegasus with horns on the other side of the spikes speaking to him as well. Her ears perked, but she didn’t recall meeting either of these mares.

So she slowed to dip her head to both of them with a cheery grin, situating herself alongside Bartholomeo, stretching out her pink snipped muzzle to gently greet her brother on the side of his neck should he allow it. “I was just out looking for you.” She cheered to him with a grin before turning her emerald gaze to Lyanna and Erthe with the same cheerful bright smile. “I don’t think we’ve all met before.” She announced with a tilt of her heavy horned head (which were strikingly similar to Bartholomeo’s own rack that sat along his head). “I’m Aelfwine, training to be a sleuth here. Bartholomeo is mine and Tilney’s brother!” She announced, hoping it was alright that she introduced the pirate stag, though glancing sideways at him to see how he reacted to all of the attention.

"Talk."

i don't chase.
i conquer —
you will crumble like rome for me.

Art by Neverrmind @ DA

@Bartholomeo @Lyanna @Erthe hope you don't mind that Aelf introduced him, Snow! (I couldn't find a way around it xD)

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie

With new fern fronds in tow, studiously collected from the outskirts of the Edge, where she’d spied them yesterday, the filly makes her way along the path which, curiously enough, passes by the way into her home. It is only curious, however, because most days, there is no one there, but perhaps a song bird, or a fox.

Today, however, a gaggle of individuals is heard before they are seen, the little one redirecting her homeward bound direction, to see what the fuss was about. Dropping her gathered fronds at the sight which awaits her, the cheerful child giggles, and rushes the tall, familiar man no sooner than she gauges who keeps him company.

"Uncle Barty!" she gleefully exclaims, darting through an open swatch between Lyanna, Erthe, and Auntie Aelfwine’s grouping to swiftly approach her Uncle, "what a neat surprise!"

Likely bumping into him for all her exuberance, the maiden’s cry precedes the thrum of her tiny hooves thunderously carrying her towards the gathering of her kin, friend, and teacher. Though she is excited also to see the others, her Auntie and friends were commonly met in the misty wood, whereas her pirate Uncle was not. Having grown accustomed to only seeing him when great adventure was to be had, the child was quite delighted to find him at her house, rather than out and about!

She too, like Aelfwine, seeks to embrace her Uncle, but with an embrace of her small neck and the craning of her muzzle up and not nearly over his shoulder, rather than a quick touch as his sister does. Pulling away from him with bouncy steps, she attempts to snuggle her Auntie briefly, too, before turning to Erthë and Lyanna with a big grin.

"And I’m Maude! But you guys already all know that," she mirthfully giggles, finding it amusing that she knows more of the people here than the grown ups seem to. Looking back at Bartholomeo, she asks: "What are you doing here, Uncle Barty? Daddy didn’t say you were comin’ to visit today."

how to be brave
how to love when I'm afraid

Image by Araxel@DA
Hold onto this lullaby, even when the music's gone.

Snow

The first to arrive and distract him from his throbbing nose is a familiar pegasus mare, and the sight of her makes the stallion's face split into a broad, genuine smile. "Lyanna!" he booms happily, his embarrassment at walking into the glass forgotten as he places his gaze upon her. "It's good to see you again. I am well, and also devoid of bones, as you can see." He chuckles deeply and wiggles his head to display the fact that his antlers are, indeed, bone-free.

Before he can tell the mare his reason for being here, they're joined by another. It is another female, younger, possessing both horns and wings, her coat so radiantly pale that it almost dazzles him. When she speaks her voice is as cold as her pelt, and the bay stud's head cocks at the somewhat frosty greeting. "Maybe you can. I'm looking to join this herd, actually." He glances up at the great glass structures, thinking how reassuring it would be to have them around him - no vagabonds could touch his possessions with those bad boys!

Then, another familiar arrival, and the stag's grin widens into a full-fledged beam as his sister comes closer. "Aelfwine," he murmurs, returning his sibling's soft greeting. "Sorry for the delay. You know I like to be fashionably late." He wiggles his eyebrows. In truth, he'd simply found the Edge rather harder to find than first anticipated, but he is not going to admit such a fact - pirates don't get lost! She introduces himself, which he doesn't object to; he simply watches her, overjoyed at the fact that he will hopefully be able to spend more time with her. It will be like old times, only with less rowdy bachelor stallions. "If you have room for one more of us, I would be honoured to join here. It has been a while since I've been in a herd, and this one seems rather perfect. I am quite fond of the sea, you see." He glances towards Aelfwine, a cheeky, playful glint in his eye. "Even if it is plagued with annoying little sisters." He darts neatly to the side hopefully before his sister can aim a kick or bite at him.

The final arrival to their little procession is one that makes the stag whicker in delight, even as the filly barges into him in her enthusiasm. He leans gently down to try and blow towards her from his nostrils, his ears rammed forwards and his earthy green eyes glowing with affection. "Ah, Maude! If it's okay with you, you might get to see rather more of your Uncle Barty soon." He offers a conspirational wink. "Provided you, Aelfwine and Tilney haven't caused so much chaos that they don't want any more of us here!" He grins upwards from the filly and towards Lyanna and the pale young mare, wondering if either has the power to accept him.

B A R T H O L O M E O
image credits

@Lyanna

Kyra

let the winds erase me,

His grin is warming and a bit infectious as he greets her. She chuckles at the comment about bones, adding, “I see that, though I think the bones added a nice bit of flair.” Her teal eyes twinkle a bit, clearly teasing. Though bones were far from the worst thing she’s seen in this world, they were hardly the most appealing either. But before they have a chance to speak more, there’s another voice.

There seems to be a welcoming committee for every new Edge member lately. Erthe cool voice cuts in, though softening after a moment. The pale girl grins at Lyanna in a sly way as she asks if Barty is a friend. Lyanna flicks her tail at Erthe, though she’s grinning slightly at her friend as she whispers back, “I met him cleaning for Kisamoa. I was covered in dead stuff.” she says, her eyes playful. He is handsome, after all, and she can’t blame Erthe for teasing. But there was nothing more there, just acquaintances at best. Perhaps with him in the Edge they would be friends, but she held no other hopes or plans beside that.

Not that she’d complain if it was more, but the though brings to mind Apollo, and she can’t help but feel a pang of sadness at that. She has no idea what’s become of him, but hopes he’s okay, wherever he’s gone.

Soon there’s another mare with them, who clearly knows Barty as well. But soon she turns to Lyanna and Erthe, introducing herself as Aelfwine and introducing Bartholomeo as her and Tilney’s smile. Lyanna’s smile brightens as she replies, “I’m Lyanna. It’s a pleasure to meet you Aelfwine.” But before she can say any more, Maude is there as well, and greeting her Uncle.

She gives them all a moment to connect before turning her attention to Barty. “Lucky for you, your family is rather well liked here. Hopefully you won’t be the one to start any of that chaos,” she says it with a wink and a light laugh. “But the Edge would love to have you.” She walks forward, heading through the gate and stepping out of the way, glancing back to invite Barty to join his rather large welcoming group.

“Is there a job you were interested in? I can try to point you in the right direction, if so. But you are welcome to settle in and decide later.” Because perhaps he simply wants to spend some time with his family. She wouldn’t blame him. It’s something she wishes she could do every day. Watching their reunion hurts, but she finds it hurts less than she might have expected. She’s also simply glad to see them all so happy.

lyanna

Image © Rhiaan

@Erthe @Bartholomeo

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Snow

He offers Lyanna a broad grin, approving of her sense of banter. His gaze is focused fully on her, now; it appears she may hold a rank higher than what he'd first assumed upon meeting her. She reveals that his family is well-liked here and he beams around at Aelfwine and Maude, pleased that his kin are known and respected here. It makes his decision to join even easier, and his earthy green gaze travels approvingly around.

Lyanna walks through a gate, seemingly inviting the pirate to follow. He does so obligingly, eyeing the spikes around him warily as though concerned that one may shoot up from underneath him and impale him. The stag glances around again and tilts his head upwards to inhale the salty sea breeze in the distance - ah, yes, home! Lyanna asks if he has a job he's interested in, and the bay ponders for a moment. It isn't in his nature to sit idly by whilst others do work, as that isn't the way of the crewman, but it's a question of what he wishes to specialise in. "I'm something of a jack of all trades, so to speak - I know my healing plants from my poisons, and I've stolen my fair share of pretty things too." His warm gaze twinkles at the winged mare. Bart does have some rather magpie-like tendencies, whether it be for shiny objects or attractive women. Lyanna definitely falls into the second category, although he reminds himself to keep his hands to himself for now.

"My true skill lies in fighting, though. I'd like to join the ranks of the warriors if they'd have me." For good measure he flexes the muscles that ripple beneath the scarred flesh of his chimeric fur. Each scar has a story, a memory born of a past battle, and he thinks the Edge would be a fine place to earn some more.

B A R T H O L O M E O
image credits

Sorry for skipping but want to keep this moving so he can get his rank changed :D @Lyanna

Kyra

let the winds erase me,

Admittedly, she likes the broad grin that he gives her at the banter. Her time here was spent largely with mares and children, and she’s spent less time around stallions than she did in her own life. Though both the other Moon Doctors were male, she didn’t spend much time with them outside of meeting and herd business. Which didn’t seem like it should count, really. Maybe Erthe’s girlish, teasing grin hadn’t been entirely wrong. Not that she’s falling in love with a stallion that she hardly knows, but rather that it’s nice to be around them again, nice to feel a little more like herself.

It had once been her job to flirt and charm, to provide witty banter and intelligent conversation. Here, she often felt like she was moping around or just keeping busy to keep her mind off things. But if she really thought about that, perhaps it was growing less true. Many conversations were simply time passed between friends. A few of those conversations had been with Apollo, and she still wonders what became of him and Zola. Hope they are happy and healthy wherever they are now.

But now is not the time to dwell on what if’s. She keeps her attention on the group, leading them through the forest slowly, but heading in the most direct route to the cliff. It seems like a place he might like, and so she wants to show him. Barty speaks, and her ears flick in his direction as he tells her he’s a jack of all trades. “Only pretty things?” she asks, the jest in her words clear, but he does seem like he may have stolen pretty heart’s in his life as well.

Then she turns herself to look at Maude, looking conspiratorial and pretending to whisper, though obviously speaking loud enough for Barty to hear, “Maybe we can convince your Unlce to help us weed the garden.” She winks at the young healer, before turning her attention back to Bartholomeo, letting the conversation drift back toward serious. “The Sparklight is your general then, and I’m sure she’d be happy to have another solider in their ranks.”

lyanna

Image © Rhiaan

@Bartholomeo I'm not sure when Lyanna decided to be a flirt...

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Maude Posts: 140
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: Yearling
Bunnie
Maude quiets to let the grown ups talk, but does smile and exclaim her delight when Uncle Bart says he’s coming to stay in the Edge.

"Really?!" she breathily gasps, a giggle swallowing her words, before a concerned glance towards her Auntie steals away the expression of delight on her face, for one of worry. What had Aelfwine and her daddy been doing? Maude certainly hadn’t a clue about any chaotic escapades, and would certainly be quite embarrassed to admit such, if he wasn’t just kidding.

Thankfully, Lyanna eases her worry; smiling at her teacher, the girl, too, steps aside to allow her Uncle into the Moon’s kingdom. Listening to the grown up talk of ranks and jobs, the ginger and cream cherub is quite glad that she was already quite sure of what she wanted to do with her life. Healing and plants had always called to her, and so, unlike Uncle Bartholomeo, the child was a jack of one trade, but would likely be quite good at it, for all her focus on the subject.

The idea of her handsome Uncle being a soldier makes the romantic child’s heart swoon, her citrine eyes widening as she looks to the dual toned, tree-shouldered stallion, her mind filling with visages of his shining armor, as he drove away fierce shadow demons, and bone monsters. Of course, she hadn’t seen the monstrosity that Kaos had made, having gone home to rest from all their uncovering of bones, but she had heard about it, and stories, alone, were enough to inspire imaginative beasts.

She misses the flirtatious glances and exchanges, too young to know more than friendship in truth, having only fanaticized a love that was not bound to her by fate, such as that of her family. While she dreams of her Prince Charming on regular occasion, the girl is just that – a girl – her eyes filled with starlight, and her mind naïve.

Giggling when Lyanna suggest that Bart become a gardener, Maude quickly thinks of her own joke, proudly sharing it with a loud whisper (that she is actually trying to guise, unlike her tutor).

"But his big hooves will trample the plants!" she chortles, her spring-green eyes crinkling with her giggles.

how to be brave
how to love when I'm afraid

Image by Araxel@DA
Hold onto this lullaby, even when the music's gone.