the Rift

[OPEN] winter wandering [patrol]

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki
dreams come slow and they go so fast
Najya actually quite liked doing patrols. She found it was a great way to not only explore areas of Helovia that she might never have seen before, but it was an opportunity to learn about the lands themselves as well.  Not to mention an opportunity to get to know your herd mates and others who you happened to run into along the way.  Najya was anything but introverted, so it wasn’t something that she saw as a task.  Even though she understood that the primary reason for the patrols was to do just that - to patrol for threats - she found that they could be useful for so many different things.  For example, with her new position as physician it was an excellent opportunity to search for new herbs or replenish her stash of existing herbs.

However, when patrols were assigned Najya knew that it was unlikely that she’d be able to keep up with the pegasi she’d been assigned to patrol with if they elected to fly to the Heavenly Fields.  She couldn’t blame them for doing so - it make take them half a day to make it to the Fields with the right winds.  On foot? The journey may take her days.  She found herself somewhat disappointed because she very much wanted to catch up with Ampere, but it seemed that that conversation would have to wait until they all returned home.  So Najya was determined to make use of her extended trek and return home as quickly as her feet could carry her, without shirking any of her duties.

She’d come to the Fields once before when she’d only just arrived in Helovia.  Returning was a nice change of pace from the somewhat stark desert landscape. Of course she’d been here in the summer, and the landscape looked quite different than it did now. However she’d heard rumors that there were plants here that produced berries even in the heart of winter, and she was determined to find some and bring them home to evaluate if there was any medicinal use to such a hardy plant. A’mal was quite enraptured by the snow-dusted plateau, amusing herself in an impressive snow drift almost as soon as they’d arrived.  Najya scanned the flat landscape for both threats and company while also keeping her eyes peeled for the berries she’d heard about before moving to join the dragon who was so enraptured with the snow.

N A J Y A
image credit

DT Patrol. Open. :)

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
so I take off my face, because it reminds me how it all went wrong
but I leave in my heart because I don't want to stay in the dark

Mesec was accustomed to walking everywhere while his foals were young - until they learned how to fly, he had no intention of leaving them behind while he went ahead. So now that he had a small kitsune kit to take care of, not-flying wasn’t all that terrible. Lyra often asked him to fly but he had no way to ensure that she would stay in place once he had taken to the air - and what if she should fall? While Lucius might find that an appealing risk to take, he was certainly the only one of the trio.

They weren’t heading anywhere particular today, more wandering for the sake of it - to show Lyra the world of Helovia - but really all of their eyes were scanning the lands they travelled through for signs of Virga. Perhaps his young son had gone to see his mother - Mesec had to hope that he was alright, wherever he was. And when they were reunited, he resolved to be a better father in the hopes that it would encourage the young boy to stay.

After all, could it really be a coincidence that he had taken the twins into his care not long before Virga had left?

Such troublesome thoughts plagued him and before he knew it they had wandered up to the Heavenly Fields - the very place that Lucius had hatched. While the zephyr flew on, Mesec and Lyra took a more leisurely pace until a call from Lucius alerted them that he had found something. Someone that Mesec’s eldest companion was quite fond of.

Najya.

Mesec was at once swept up in a dizzying combination of guilt and utter excitement but the excitement won out as he called out to his friend, practically without realizing he did so. “Najya!!” It was a gut reaction, a brightening of his entire face when he recognized the friend he had brought to the Throat before promptly leaving her behind there. Lucius was circling above her and she was easy enough to spot up here and he trotted towards her with little Lyra left to hurry after him. “My dear friend how good it is to see you! How have you been?” That question when returned would undoubtedly cause Mesec’s troubled mind to twist into turmoil but he could ignore that for not as his silver eyes lighted upon the dragon acting playfully in the snow. “And who is that?!”

art by astralseed at deviantart.com

@Najya :D
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki
dreams come slow and they go so fast
A’mal had thoroughly amused herself with the snow drift she’d discovered.  The little dragon was very content in her new game of flying to the top of the drift, sliding down on her belly, shaking off the snow, and repeating the whole process over again.  They didn’t ever have enough snow for such a game in the Throat and sliding on the sand just wasn’t the same.  This, however, was a pleasant change.  Najya was just happy that the little creature had managed to keep herself out of trouble whilst she took stock of her surroundings.  From what she could determine, there was certainly no threat here presently.  However she knew better than to assume that danger couldn’t appear at any time.  That was the reason that she wore the sword the Moon Goddess had given her whenever she set foot outside the Throat, be it on a herb gathering venture or a patrol.  Better safe than sorry, and all that.

The little desert mare made her way over to where her companion was busy slithering and sliding in the snow, wondering idly how long it would take the pair to cross the expanse of Helovia and return home.  But her thoughts were interrupted by an abrupt change in A’mal’s snow-driven euphoria.  Confusion and concern flooded their bond, and Najya looked quickly to ascertain the source.  However when she found it, her own concern evaporated immediately.  Lucius.  That’s who A’mal had spotted.  She’d never seen a zephyr like him before.  ”It’s OK A’mal.  He’s a friend,” she offered, with a smile towards the white and gold reptile, before quickly turning in search of Lucius’ bonded who she hoped wasn’t far behind.  

She wasn’t disappointed.  

By the time she turned, she heard her name floating across the snow.  A wide smile tugged at her dark lips as she called out, “Mesec!” in answer.  How long it had been since she’d last seen her friend!  She had had her own suspicions that his conversation with Ampere had not gone well, and that was the reason that he had not returned to the Throat.  However, she knew there may be more to that story, so she was unwilling to pry.  Now with Gaucho gone, everything had changed. The important thing now was that her dear friend had been returned to her. That was so much more than enough.

“Ive been well but I’ve missed you! I’ve been worried - all this time and not a word,” she scolded, but knew that he would see the jest in her eyes. “How have you been?” she echoed, though there were so many more questions she wanted to ask - as impolite as they may be.  Where did you go? Why did you leave? Why didn’t you ever come back?  But Najya was an expert at biting her tongue, so to speak.

But the mention of A’mal was the perfect distraction.  Realizing she had become the subject of conversation, the little dragon abandoned her game and turned her attention to the large, winged stallion.  Knowing that trudging through the deep snow wasn’t an option, she hopped from footprints left in the snow in order to peek from between Najya’s front legs up at the large, dark stallion.  

“This,” the little mare said, peering down at the dragon, “is A’mal.”  She raised her head again, meeting Mesec’s gaze. “Just shy of her first birthday.”    It was then that Najya caught the flurry of movement that was Lyra.   “It looks like you have a new addition too!” Najya added, warmly, trying to get a better look at the small kitsune.
N A J Y A
image credit

@Mesec

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
so I take off my face, because it reminds me how it all went wrong
but I leave in my heart because I don't want to stay in the dark

Lucius called out happily to Najya, diving down low to tug affectionately at her mane before swooping upwards again. He would come to land on Mesec’s wing later and take a more active role in the reunion but for now he opted to continue his circling of the area - checking to see if there were any more surprises, good or bad.

Although Najya’s scolding was in jest, the guilt that came with the truth of her words stung all the same. He was sure that hurt flickered through his silver eyes before he could clamp down on it, replace it with an easy smile that was more appropriate to the situation.

He didn’t answer her question, not yet, but allowed the conversation to steer towards the beautiful white dragon, introduced as A’mal. The fact that the dragon was almost a year old was a further testament to how much time had passed since Mesec and Najya had spoken, and he felt another twist of the knife in his heart.

Lyra was fast approaching, upset about having been left out of the conversation already, but thrilled that Najya had taken notice of her already - joy surging through their bond in a tidal wave. Lucius had been subtler about his emotions when they had first bonded, Lyra was already a force of nature and she was still young enough to stumble over her feet.

“More than one, actually.” Mesec commented in a low voice, realizing just how much had changed since he had last spoken to Najya. His children had been conceived, born, and seen their first birthday in that stretch of time. “But this is Lyra, she’s only about a season old now.” Lyra had hurried forward and was now standing between Mesec’s front legs, but not for long. When her violet eyes spotted A’mal she bounded forward with a series of yips, delighted to find someone a little closer to her size, and thoroughly unwilling to accept that perhaps the dragon wasn’t as interested in playing as she was.

But Mesec was feeling the smile fading from his face, knowing that he had let her answer of how he had been fade away unanswered in order to talk about A’mal instead. He couldn’t avoid it forever. There was too much to tell her now, to try to explain why he had left the Throat almost a year and a half ago and never returned. Much as he might want to just talk about their companions and pretend that everything was alright, he owed her more than that. So his voice came out as a soft whisper. “I’m so sorry Najya. I didn’t mean to just leave you or the Throat the way I did.”

art by astralseed at deviantart.com

@Najya
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times