the Rift

[OPEN] A New Haunt

Ghost the Cadaverous Posts: 219
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 6 years HP: 67 | Buff: ENDURE
Fantôme :: Grey Wolf :: None imi
i was pure as a river
It was safe to say that Fantôme was more than happy to be going northwards for a change, the desert had never suited him, but he had endured it all the same for the sake of his twisted friend. Ghost, on the other hand, wasn't so much bothered by where she lived anymore. There once had been a time when she craved belonging after being left to the wilds for so long as a girl, but the Cadaverous had tasted the bitterness of attachment, it was fickle and fleeting. Not that she could choose, her elusive heart would cling to things without her minds consent, but Ghost had mastery over her emotions making her look drab and eerie most of the time. Not everyones idea of a barrel of laughs that was for sure. Though if one lingered around her long enough they would probably pick up her subtle changes in mood. 

As she picked her way into the Basin, bracing herself against the cold, she noted odd objects here and there so she might find her way in and out with ease. It had been so long since she had travelled into the mountains that she had almost forgotten how much she loved the clean air and the arresting scenery. 

She came to a halt, looking for her intriguing guide whilst curiously gazing at the view of the Aurora Basin now and then, wondering what kind of characters lived here, in the hand of the mountain. What were their goals? Their hobbies? Who did they hate? She didn't much care for who they loved... Though if it inspired revenge she would lend a listening ear. Whilst Ghost thought about the things she might like to know, Fantôme carefully began to skulk around, seeking the different smells and potential prey he might like to fill his belly with. 

@Hotaru & Open :3
but now I think I'm possessed
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Because if we just turn and run
Let them fire the gun

❚ Force permitted, just don't kill her :3
❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather

Lena spent many hours within the first vestiges of Birdsong diligent and dedicated, funneling through tasks left behind at the lure of winter, determined not to mull over the somber state flickering through the mountainsides. She dashed through the greenhouse as a fairy, sweeping away cobwebs, broken, withered leaves occupying the floor, and perusing through herbs dried out over the Frostfall, making mental notes of which plants needed to be replenished, which hadn’t been used at all, and if there were any new ones she’d like to obtain – ignoring the painful lull flickering over her sentiments when her mind wasn’t fully occupied. When her eyes became crossed, swimming along the sights of so many different blades, she and Imogen altered their course, opting to duck beneath the aperture of the glass building (brushing off a few lingering patches of snow as she passed), and wander through the vast grounds of the Basin.

The Mender focused her senses on the sounds of spring, a beautiful, transient fixture of blossoms and warm wind, of birds trilling, of serenity and repose even in the monumental loss of the Reaper – how time and the seasons managed to move on, despite even the dimmest and darkest of days. She even thought to bask in the glow of it, in the sun blessing grounds and melting rime, but it didn’t seem right to dance in the beacon of light and auroras, when their thrones had toppled and pillars had been crushed into dust.

So they wound their way around the borders, mere beings poised in the aftermath of diligence and poise, strength and power, some of the last, fleeting remnants of another time, another place, another empire fallen and reborn. She hadn’t meant to wind up across from the rusted, metallic sentinels with their eerie, unseeing eyes, close to the grind of stone and the whisper of destruction, but her gaze still locked onto them, wondering, pondering, why everything could not remain the same, when another figure presided close by. Imogen and her ceased their wayward movement, the kitsune’s ears pricked, gaze sliding to the lingering wolf, while Lena’s stare strayed immediately to the sable form against the final, clinging remains of snow, winged (feathers dyed in crimson, in ivory, in Stygian tufts). “Greetings,” the femme cast towards the stranger (and how odd, because she seemed eerily familiar too – like she’d seen her before, come across her form in so many other intermingling facets, as if they’d been passing spirits, both on their own missions, crossing at different intervals). “I’m Lena,” she proffered, granting a piece of song, giving the smallest of smiles, uncertain, unsure, of what had brought the newcomer here – if she was a threat, or if she meant to be a part of the walls, the summits, the peaks and valleys. But she wouldn’t break or alter her repose, humming with kindness, with diligence, despite all the hardships worn upon her hide, curled and coiled within her frame. Her melodic voice strung together again, amiable and considerate, thoughts poised, ready, fervent for something, anything. “How may I help you?”

[Imi <3]

Lena the Songbird

tomorrow will be kinder
image credits

@Ghost

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit
As strong as the seas are stormy.</style>

There seemed to be no real antagonism between the Valkyrie and the crow, despite having been on separate sides of an invasion that Hotaru had orchestrated - not that the Cadaverous knew that, of course. And it was news that Hotaru would not be forthcoming with, as very few were aware of how heavily her hand had delved in those plans from the beginning. It mattered less and less as time went by, but Hotaru was keen on the intriguing woman, and would not relinquish her so easily if she could prevent it.

The journey was long and relatively silent, letting Ghost acclimate to Helovia once more after an absence she still wouldn't comment on. Not that Hotaru was the prying type - despite her gilded tongue, she preferred patience over interrogation. Friendship lured out far juicier secrets and confessions than anything else. Flies and honey, and all that.

She lagged behind a little, not needing to handhold a woman who already had her general bearings. But as the borders approached and a soft, familiar voice rang out in greeting, the Valkyrie smiled and let her legs carry her at a trot up the mountain pass. Alice loped ahead, paying little mind to the two mares as she went bounding off into the snow in search of things unknown. Hotaru rolled her eyes as she slowed to a fast walk, striding up on Ghost's left side with a smile for Lena already on her lips.

The songbird had saved her daughter many seasons ago, and had been a faithful healer for many years before that. They were not exactly friendly in the personal sense as Hotaru knew little about her, but she owed the mare a debt nonetheless, and was grateful for her intervention against Death on behalf of her daughter.

"Hello, Lena," she crooned warmly, tail flicking against her hocks as she breathed a deep lungful of mountain air. "Welcome to the Aurora Basin, Ghost. This is Lena, our head healer. It was remiss of me not to ask earlier, but is there any rank you have in mind?" A curious glance was spared the tri-colored beauty, trying to recall if she'd mentioned anything on the journey. She didn't believe so, at least. Hotaru didn't insult her by going through them - as a previous Czarina, she likely knew the staple ranks of a herd and where she believed she fit best.

Image Credits
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Ghost the Cadaverous Posts: 219
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 6 years HP: 67 | Buff: ENDURE
Fantôme :: Grey Wolf :: None imi
i was pure as a river
Enveloped by the mountain and surrounded by unfamiliar scents, Ghost was already feeling a vestige of excitement bubble in her chest as she thought about unlocking the vault to the Basin and rifling through their secrets. They didn't seem to be the unicorn squad anymore, otherwise she wouldn't be here, what had happened... what had changed since all those years ago, when Mauja had cast her spindly young self into the mercy of the wilds all for the wings on her back. Lost and confounded, she had even thought about ripping her own feathers out in order to re-gain entry—how the world did change. Though Ghost still sometimes felt the same pitifulness she had felt back then although these days it was for much different reasons and often self-inflicted. As her dark slate eyes caught sight of another, she shifted her weight to the other side, resting a leg, the compass was uncomfortable after long periods without untying it for relief.

Feeling Hotaru by her side and the bay mare, who had just arrived, standing before her, Ghost waited for the introductions that were usually made when meeting strangers. Lena? Lena... She searched through her mental itinerary of faces and names, but none matched, this one was new. It was almost like she sang when she spoke, harmonious and sweet, endearing and kind she seemed simple, simple Lena. Yet, the head of healing no less. Fantôme had already spotted the kitsune that accompanied her and had started to stalk towards the many-tailed fox, piercing a hungry stare that did nothing to mask his intent, but was stopped in his tracks by a sharp glance from the irritating bag of bones behind him "don't be stupid" Ghost frowned. 

On that note, she nodded a greeting to Lena, "my name is Ghost, I have come to join you here" plain, easy and honest. An outcast band and four herds later Ghost had gone through this procedure many times to have had enough of it, though she recognised the necessity of needing to know name and purpose, not that everyone always let such details fly. Ghost wasn't much of a name, anyone could be a Ghost, she had a feeling that had been her infuriating mothers point. 

They moved on to ranks, she knew the answer to this too being a creature of habit and not really ever having much interest in anything else (or perhaps it was just laziness) "I have been a spy all my life, why change" apart from that one disastrous stint as Czarina... That she really didn't need to bring up. 

From then on the options for conversation topic were blown wide open, should she ask about rank leaders, projects, enemies, allies... yes. It occurred to her, whilst travelling northwards, that she still had two keys tied in her hair that were no longer, technically, hers. They both unlocked the bridge that connected the Dragons Throat to the rest of Helovia and were only with her because she still hadn't deigned herself to give them back. Duty number one, as spy of the Basin, "actually, I have these" she plucked the two keys from her mane and cast them onto the floor for them to see "what are our relations with the southerners, should I return them?" she asked curiously.

@Lena sorry I'm a slow ass <3
but now I think I'm possessed
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Because if we just turn and run
Let them fire the gun

❚ Force permitted, just don't kill her :3
❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather

The Valkyrie sprung from beyond the mountain pass, and the idle bewitchings of danger, of treachery, of having to guard the outpost from too many strangers fell away – the ambience and composure remained, knotted along her graceful form as if kindled and incensed from birth. Her smile was a luminous, beautiful creation, blooming in curls of blossoms and petals, spring-like in its warmth and tenderness, in its affection and grandeur, while her head bowed towards the Queen, rose again to honor her in words and presence. “I trust you’re well, Hotaru?” Thereafter, her gaze swung back to the newcomer, Ghost, and she wondered how she’d come to possess such a name – by the follies of intangible things, or did she linger as a wraith, a cool, shrouded phantom, loitering listlessly around halls, parlors, and avenues, sweeping over dungeons, collecting fragments of secrets? Was she serene, a spirit dwelling on the earthly plain, rendered complete by the title of otherworldly expressions? Lena wanted to ask on the acquiring; it nearly jumped from her tongue, but she held it back, grinning again instead, welcoming another branch of smoking cloaks and daggers, of sleuths clawing and clattering for information on the truths, on the lies, on the serpentine edges of their realm. “A pleasure, Ghost.” Then her head tilted, curious still, trying to dwell along safe harbors, where furtive arms and munitions weren’t suddenly seized, where rights and inquiries were liberations and deliverances. “Where did you come from?”

But Ghost posed her own question too, and the Songbird watched a set of keys dropped to the ground; her memory sketched its way through nooks and crannies, through experiences and upheavals, attempting to search and pore over why they seemed familiar – something about the desert, about Sikeax, about days cavorting along the sand and flying over a bridge - enchanted, distorted, a means of a way in and a way out. Maybe her query had already been answered, because those artifacts seemed like pieces of the Dragon’s Throat. Her brow arched, but she had no response to give, glancing ultimately to Hotaru, who would hold a decision on the matter. 

Lena the Songbird

tomorrow will be kinder
image credits

@Ghost @Hotaru