the Rift

[OPEN] Old teenage hopes are alive at your door [CLEARING]

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
Isopia
barefoot on a summer's night

@Volterra

Isopia's gaze remained fixed firmly on Kisamoa as he spoke. Even as Volterra moved to stand beside her, she hardly gave any indication at all that she had noticed his arrival. Her posture however, was not cold. She did not appear to making an effort to ignore him, the way you do when you're giving someone the cold shoulder. That only works if they know they are being ignored, and so you've got to make a bit of a display of it. Rather than looking at him, huffing, and turning decidedly away, Isopia simply stood where she was, shuffling slightly to make room for the monochromatic giant, but remaining fairly unbothered by his presence.

Silently, Hubris was going mad with stress and worry.

Do you trust him? Isopia offered a sidelong glance towards Volterra, as if to confirm that he was in fact speaking to her. Exhaling, Isopia let the question roll around in her mind for a moment before answering. All the while, Hubris was scooting back farther and farther onto her back, to try and align himself with the red dragon.

"Whether or not I trust him will not dictate whether or not I go along with this." She replied after a moment; her voice thoughtful and academic as always. "Trusting him doesn't factor in. Yet." She added almost as an afterthought.

Because Isopia could now sort-of understand dragon, Hubris couldn't just speak to Vérzés, as there was a chance Isopia might pick up on some of the words. Instead, the bronze gave his head a decisive shake, to indicate that something was wrong. Nodding his head, he jumped from Isopia's back, gliding higher into the air and away from the gathering. >>Bored. Going for food.<< He whispered into her mind, hoping Vérzés would take his subtle hint and follow.

Having finished his speech, Isopia was about to depart when Volterra's words stayed her. And, ahh...how are you? For a moment something inside of her twinged, and she shifted somewhat uncomfortably, before settling. The feeling passed, though a look of uncomfortable surprise settled slightly on her features, before she erased it. "Fine..." She replied sounding almost uneasy, wondering why this stallion was asking about how she was. Had he heard of her recent challenge with Tembovu? Her fight with Alysanne? That she had been promoted to Czarina?

But she didn't know him, so why would he care those things of her?

(Meanwhile, assuming Vérzés comes with Hubris..)

The bronze could barely contain himself. There was so much to say, but hardly any time to say it. Isopia would be skeptical of him already, for he always hunted at night, and surely she would think something was off if he stayed with the red too long.  Quickly however, he tried to convey as much as he could in the short time they had. >>After fight she go to Ophelia. Ophelia take her memories. She not remember baby, not remember Volterra. All of it gone. I still remember.<< With an apologetic frown, Hubris dropped from the sky back towards Isopia.

>>No hunt here. Why not ask red-eye to come and help with task? He big. Could be helpful<< Isopia frowned at the dragon's sudden reappearance. I'm big too. I don't need help. .>>Two make work faster.<< Isopia nodded at that, he did have a point.

"If you are planning on assisting with these tasks, would you like to come help me clear some branches? Hubris thinks that together we could get this work done faster." She added, motioning towards the bronze dragon who waved awkwardly from her back, as if introducing himself for the first time. He offered Volterra a sheepishly smile, praying that Vérzés had somehow communicated the information to him, and that he wasn't about to freak out.

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
He'd expected some sort of reaction. The flicker of an eye, the backwards twitch of an ear, even the sudden twist of a head to fix him with a death glare. Instead, there's....nothing. It isn't cold, persay, but it's a lack of reaction that one would offer to a complete stranger, not to a man who - for better or for worse - has been a massive part of your life. The stallion narrows his eyes slightly, confused, but he doesn't remark on the greeting, or lack of. After all, this is what he'd wanted, for everything to get brushed under the carpet and for them to just move on. He'd expected a tad more fanfare, though.

Vérzés looks at Hubris with a tilted head, wondering why the bronze dragon appears to be having some sort of a fit. Volterra pays neither dragon any mind, because he's fully focused on Isopia. There's a lingering sense of loss in his mind, like he's missed out on an argument or at the very least a few sharp words - he hadn't expected the first words she says to him after what happened to be about Kisamoa, even if his had been. For some reason, he'd thought she would be the first to mention events, but he quickly realises what a stupid assumption that had been. He responds in kind, although the slight twitch of his muscles and bewildered flickering of an ear imply that he's concerned. "You intend to do as he asks?" he replies.

Meanwhile, Vérzés' complete focus on Hubris has caused him to suspect something odd. Like his bonded, the red isn't the most perceptive of creatures, but the bronze's behaviour is enough to incite his curiosity. When Hubris gestures for him to follow, the red does so without a second thought, leaping from Volterra's back and darting through the trees after his bronze friend.

The Indomitable hardly notices the absence of weight on his back, because Isopia is answering his second - and vastly more important - question. Fine. The answer is like a slap to his face, and his expression twists into one of sudden hurt. How can she be fine? Did what happened mean nothing to her? Surely he couldn't have misjudged the situation so badly - he'd seen the rage, the pain, inside her that day, and he's quite sure she's not that good an actress. "You're fine?" he repeats flatly, his voice guarded and quite clearly suspicious. "How can you be fine? Kis hollo, you can talk to me, you know you can. I think we need to discuss what happened." His gravelly voice is softer now, as though talking to a frightened kitten; this is his one golden chance to speak to her, to sort things out once and for all. Perhaps it's naiive of him to think that one conversation can make them right again, can take them back to where they were, but if Volterra doesn't have hope then he doesn't have anything.

His focus on Isopia is so single-minded that the tendril of thought with his dragons is cut down to the thinnest of slivers. Vadir is hunting, so there's nothing of importance there, and Vérzés is with Hubris....no, that's also unimportant, the two are probably just sorting out their own differences after the fight. Little does he know that at that precise moment, Hubris is imparting something on the red dragon that almost makes Vérzés fall from the sky with the sheer shock of it, the raw horror of the information. Ophelia take her memories. Not remember baby, not remember Volterra. The red barely catches himself on his leathery wings as the weight of the revelation hits him. He chirps a thanks, but knows as well as Hubris that they can't stay away for too long. He follows the bronze back to their bondeds, his mind spinning, desperately trying to compute.

He drops onto Volterra's back with a meaningful grunt, but the stallion doesn't even notice. "Need to tell you something," he says to his bonded, but the beast simply gives a dismissive shrug of his shoulders. Not now, Vérzés, he replies, further cutting down the tendril of their bond. He can't afford to be distracted now, not when this could be the most important conversation he'll ever have with Isopia.

"It important", whines the dragon, wrapping one paw around a chunk of Volterra's mane and tugging it insistently. The behemoth gives a sharp hiss and wiggles his back to try and hush the red. I said not now. Perhaps he's being overly dismissive, but he really doesn't have the time for whatever trivial nugget of information Vérzés is going to give to him. No, it's far more important that he have his wits about him here, because Isopia is speaking again; she asks if he will help with the tasks, and he nods gratefully. This, he's assuming, is an invitation for the two of them to go off alone and discuss things, so naturally he agrees. "Of course." Truthfully he'd had no intentions of being Kisamoa's bitch, but talking to Isopia is vastly more important than his moral misgivings.

"Shall we?" he rumbles, moving so as to leave the crowd and go deeper into the Rotunda in search of logs to clear. Out of the corner of one red eye he sees Hubris waving at him, as though the dragon has never met him before - odd, he thinks, but unimportant. Just as unimportant as Vérzés' now frantic tugging on his mane, which he continues to studiously ignore whilst the red dragon whimpers anxiously. Vérzés looks helplessly to Hubris, trying to tell the bronze with a look that he's struggling to get through to his bone-headed bonded, and subtly redoubles his efforts to break through Volterra's mental wall so he can deliver his news.

volterra
vérzés & vadir

coloring & coding credit

@Isopia PROLOOOONG THE TORTURE

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
Isopia

@Volterra

His words continue to catch her off guard as their perpetual misunderstandings continue.

He seems to speak to her with such familiarity--to come and stand at her side and address her as he has--and yet she does not know him. Certainly she recalls having seen him at things; he is far too big of a presence to have missed him all together. But this?

Unless it's political.. she thinks, furrowing her brows slightly. Yes ... if he knows who she is and holds some sort of rank that she should be aware of, then he might well dispense for the formalities and jump into ... whatever it is he had on his mind. He asked if I trusted him...Idiot! Silently Isopia cursed her ignorance. Surely this had to do with the herds...he was asking broadly about what they all ought to do, not just what she thought.

His next comment seemed to solidify what she was already presuming to be true. Though she didn't know the language or meaning of the name he called her, she let it pass over her. She didn't know what language Czarina was either, though they sounded passably close to the same language ... Yes. Surely he is here in a political capacity.

With that leap improperly made, Isopia could only assume his next comment was in relation to her recent challenge of Alysanne and Tembovu. The Mountain's dark lashed fluttered softly as she closed them, taking a breath, and shaking her quad-horned skull ever so slightly. "I did what I thought I had to." She answered, her voice level, taking no notice of the softening of his own. After all, she was not one to notice such things. "And now it is over. It is done with and we can all move on." She was almost dismissive, not wanting to justify her actions any more than she already had.

She almost said, And I'm not sorry. I would do it again, but she refrained. Regardless of what herd this red-eyed stallion hailed from, she didn't need to make her situation any worse than it already was. 

He accepted her offer to help clear, and although Hubris seemed noticeably less enthusiastic in his greeting than he normally would have been, the demi-goddess shrugged off his odd behavior, and walked with Volterra deeper into the Rotunda's expansive forests.

Meanwhile, Hubris had taken to the air and was wringing his hands in front of an incredibly anxious bronzey face. This was bad, very bad. He bit his tongue for every word Isopia said to Volterra, knowing full well what Volterra was asking, and wincing at how the stallion would likely understand the answer she had given him. It was clear that Vérzés was not getting through to his bonded, and Hubris was horrified to think what Volterra might do when he found out. He hadn't really fought Isopia last time ... but what would he do now? Would he still be able to hold himself back?

The dragonling swallowed hard, and continued to trail behind the duo.

"You see there?" Isopia said, casually, nodding ahead to where a number of trees had partially fallen over. They were held up by the others, but blocked out the sunlight causing a significant portion of the ground below to become moldy and rotten as water lingered on the surface of the ground. "Seems like a good place to begin."

Image Credits

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
His dragon's frantic tugging on his mane is really starting to get on his last nerve now. It does not occur to him that the red can possibly have anything important to say, he simply assumes it will be something trivial like there's a tasty nest of lemmings over there or Hubris said your butt looks big. He doesn't have the time to humour Vérzés right now, not when he knows he has to be on his guard in order to respond to Isopia. She's always challenged him intellectually above and beyond what he's capable of responding to, but now more than ever it's important that he keep his wits about him so they can try and make amends.

I did what I thought I had to. The response stops Volterra in his tracks; he's fully immobile for a moment as he digests the words, and applies the brakes to his long stride with so much force it sends Vérzés faceplanting into his neck with a yelp. I did what I thought I had to. What on earth does that mean? Did she think she had to abort their child because it would never have a dedicated father (he still tries not to think about whether she'd actually caused the fight that miscarried their foal, he doesn't want to know, as cowardly as that is)? Did she think she had to beat seven bells out of him in order to punish him for his esteemed sins?

Or is it something deeper, something the mentally-challenged stallion cannot possibly understand? He schools his face into neutrality, but all these questions are bouncing around his skull like the aforementioned nest of lemmings.

And now it is over. It is done with and we can all move on. Fuck, that's cold. Even for her, that's some emotionless shit right there, and the leviathan remains stood stock still as he computes the information. "Oh," is all he can say. Is that it? Is that the closure he'd been hoping for? He hadn't thought it would happen like that. Just those few words, so abrupt, such a statement, as though she's referring to a mundane act of herd politics rather than the life of a child and the death of a relationship. He doesn't know what to think. Arguably it's a good thing that she's so willing to move on with seemingly no ill-will held towards him, but he's also slightly wounded at the notion that he'd carried around his grief, misery and self-loathing for months since the fight whereas she'd seemingly brushed it under the carpet with the minimum of fuss.

No, he decides. They can't simply leave it at that. There's far too much to talk about, far too much that needs sorting. He can't accept this hollow, fragile peace between them, when it's clearly so easy to shatter. It'd be so damn easy to take the simple option and just accept the fragile olive branch she seems to be offering, but it doesn't feel right to just hide what happened until it will one day rear its ugly head again. They have to resolve this once and for all, and the behemoth quickly picks up his pace again to fall into step beside the Mountain. "But what does that mean for us? Kis hollo, I think we need to talk more about this. What happened, what you did, what I did...."

He pauses for a moment, debating how far to go, how much information to give out. "After the fight, kis hollo, I spoke with your father. He helped clear some things up for me, explained what I'd done to upset you so much. You know me, I wouldn't know an answer even if it hit me between the eyes." He forces a laugh, but it's humourless even to his ears. "And I understand now. He also...told me what happened. About...about the child." He pauses, scanning her face for a reaction; a frisson of grief, a spasm of hatred. He doesn't elaborate further, deciding to allow her to say what she needs to say before he accidentally puts his hoof in it.

They've arrived at the trees, and it's a blessed relief from drama central for the Indomitable to be able to scrutinise the situation with his expert eye. Some fallen trees block out the sun, creating a little microclimate in the area beneath, and Volterra nods his answer to the mare's words. Talking about fucking trees definitely has a sense of prolonging the inevitable, but a bit of manual labour may help focus them both. "I could use my magic to disrupt the bases of the fallen trees, which should make it easier for us to move them out of the way." This, working as a team, reminds him of their prior meetings - saving forest animals, making hot-tubs. It brings a wry smile to his face, and more than ever he hopes that things can be resolved between them. She's such a massive part of both his childhood and his adult life, and being with her now again has only helped remind him how much he's missed her.

Meanwhile, inside his head Vérzés is throwing his full mental weight at the walls Volterra has erected to keep him out. He's silent and still upon his bonded's back, eyes closed and muscles twitching with concentration as he launches mental barrages at the blockage, hunting desperately for a crack that he can force himself through to deliver his news. He does not want to tell Volterra what has happened, for fear the stallion may lose his mind completely, but it's not information that he can rightly keep to himself. So he attacks the Indomitable's wall like a dragon possessed, searching for any way through.

volterra
vérzés & vadir

coloring & coding credit

@Isopia

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

Isopia

@Volterra YOUR MOVE. Lemme know if I should edit the PP <3

Now it was Isopia's turn to draw up short. Unless emotions were being talked about, Isopia was usually pretty good and piecing together arguments and understanding what others were saying. At the very least, she'd never felt so entirely out of her element and perplexed as she did now.

Was he having some sort of mental break?

Was she?

What else could possibly explain the dissonance that seemed to scream between them. Isopia's perplexed golden eyes watched Volterra's lips as he said things like, what does that mean for us and I spoke to your father, and the child. It was like there was some sort of spell cast on him, such that he took her to be someone else. Or was there instead some sort of enchantment on her, that made her misconstrue what he was saying? Isopia's mind walked a narrow path between thinking him to be insane, and wondering whether or not she was.

The demi-goddess took her time answering, finding no real mental footing in this conversation no matter how many times she let his words rattle around in her brain. Originally, she had thought she had been correct in her assumptions, especially when he mentioned the fight. She even wrote off his mention of his role in it, figuring that perhaps the political ripples of her actions had extended far farther than she had thought. Her mind even began to reconcile the notion that he would visit her Father - he was the God of her home afterall, was respected by many and was a keeper of peace - as an act that might be fitted into the narrative she was creating, but then it all fell apart. 

Isopia's mind reached out for Hubris, trying to peer into his thoughts to try and understand what was going on, when the dragon suddenly screamed by. Isopia's mouth followed his trajectory in an O of surprise, her golden eyes wide as she followed his bronzey flight. 

"What-" She said almost jerkily, moving forwards unconsciously as if physically tethered to the small flying creature. He angled himself up to the high boughs of the trees, and at once, thrust his leathery body into them. Dead branches and acorns the size of large stones tumbled from the sky, falling onto Volterra and Isopia. Although the demi-goddess didn't cry out in pain, she did emit an unexpected grunt of surprise as she nimbly darted sideways, colliding with Volterra. As soon as her shoulder touched his own, a white flash went through her body and mind. For a moment everything was blinding, and hot, and cold. A memory darted through her, like a ghost, before disappearing entirely and leaving only the mundane sensation of his muscular shoulder against her own. Isopia's face moved towards his, surprise and awkwardness written upon her deathly-marked features, but before she could say anything more, another tirade of pine-cones, branches, and even a bird's nest fell from the skies.

"HUBRIS." Isopia shouted, trying to glance upwards, but wary that more falling projectiles might be coming her way. Tentatively Hubris poked his head out from a thick copse of leaves, wondering if he'd provided a suitably bizarre enough distraction to get Volterra and Isopia off of their current conversational trajectory. He trilled an apologetic sound, and then disappeared back into the tree.

"I'm...sorry." Isopia mumbled, though it was unclear if she meant because she had bumped into Volterra, or because Hubris had just acorn-bombed them. "He isn't normally like that." She continued, quad-horned skull shaking slightly with confusion. Her golden eyes scanned the tree, but she saw no sign of the bronzey face that she knew so well. 

But, to his credit, she was thankful for the distraction. Perhaps whatever spell had been cast on Volterra - or on her - would have been broken.

Image Credits

The mare seems quite baffled, and that only deepens Volterra's sense of concern. It would take a better man than him to outwit the Mountain, yet he's sure she would have already responsed with a counter-argument if she was capable of doing so. Still ignoring his dragon's plaintive whimpers, the stallion eyeballs Isopia with a furrowed brow and deep anxiety in his gaze.

Suddenly, there's a whir of air as Hubris zooms past him, and it begins to rain tree. Acorns, dead twigs and branches bounce off Volterra's head and back, the larger ones leaving bruises in their wake including one between the ears that makes him see stars, and they pepper Vérzés with a healthy dose of greenery as well. The leviathan gives a surprised snort, instinctively darting to the side to escape the bombardment of foliage, and despite his own confusion Vérzés seizes upon the gilt-edged chance offered to him. His bonded's mental walls are temporarily lowered by the melee of Hubris-induced branches and nuts, and it gives the smallest opportunity for the red to blast his way into Volterra's distracted mind.

He sees a crack in the Indomitable's armour, exploits it, dives through it with the javelin of his own consciousness. The path ahead is clear to him now, and his mental voice rings out into Volterra's head: "HUBRIS SAID -"

With a muffled thud of flesh, Isopia's shoulder collides with Volterra's. The stallion, already unbalanced from his own movement sideways, stumbles heavily, and the sudden jerking of his back sends Vérzés sprawling with an indignant yowl. The dragon manages to catch himself on his leathery wings and soar upwards with several clacks of displeasure, but the opportunity to impart his information has gone - no sooner has Volterra righted himself than his mental walls are up again, and Vérzés' futile scratchings at them yield no joy. The red screeches his fury, landing on the brute's back and banging his little fists on the black flesh in a puerile temper tantrum born of his utter frustration. He looks hopelessly over to Hubris, praying that the bronze will come up with another equally ingenious way to distract their two bondeds and allow him access to the Indomitable's steel-gilded mind.

Volterra's head is spinning from the blow between his ears and also the fact that his flesh is tingling where Isopia's shoulder touched it. It is like the ghost of a kiss or the warm itch of a fresh burn, a sensation that the stallion has missed so damn much that he wants to lean into her again, press himself flush against her side and pray that his body's muscle memory manages to retain the feeling for the rest of his life. Alas, he cannot. She's scolding her dragon, and the Gladiator takes the opportunity to shake himself free of the pine cones, leaves, twigs and all other tree-related paraphernalia that litter the top of his body. The large bronze dragon has done a pretty great job of decimating half of the tree - indeed, Volterra feels like he's wearing at least a quarter of Kisamoa's obstacles in his mane alone - but there is still work to be done. "It's fine," he rumbles to the mare's apologies, but his own mind is dazed with what the hell has just happened. Why didn't the Mountain respond to the question, and what on earth possessed Hubris to make a kamikaze flight into the canopy? Surely no creature bonded to a logical mind such as Isopia's could even consider the idea of an ill-thought-out, reckless assault as Hubris just had.

To his great frustration, he doesn't know how to steer the conversation back to what they were just discussing. It doesn't feel right to suddenly go so, you were saying? after the frisson of heat that had just passed between them, a spectre of the old them. She must have felt it too, surely. How could she not be affected by such bodily contact? During the fight, their touching was minimal due to the largely dragon-and-magic orientated nature of it, which means their last meaningful contact was that blessed day when they wrapped their bodies together in the most intimate way two beings can possibly do. Had she, like him, gained a spasm of those beautiful, cherished memories, of carnal pleasure mixed with soft, loving caresses and whispered nothings?

Either way, the moment to talk has passed, it seems. The titan is left deeply frustrated by the lack of answers, but they will have to wait until the time is right again. "Let's get these trees moved." Maybe once they've done their job, exhausted themselves with the effort, the conversation might drift naturally back to where it was headed. Volterra hopes so; the sense of unfinished business is so heavy in his mind, so frustrating, that he feels like slamming his hooves into the trees just to have something to focus on.

Summoning his structure magic, Volterra bids the ground beneath the fragmented roots of one of the trees to lift. It causes the remaining roots holding the tree in place to rip and snap, and its great weight presses downwards until the only things stopping it crashing to the ground are the twisted branches of other trees. The behemoth moves forwards, scrutinising the trapped tree and pondering how best to dislodge it from the cage of its living brethren, thankful for the momentary distraction from his annoyance.

volterra
vérzés & vadir

coloring & coding credit

Isopia

@Volterra 

Slyly, or what is his best approximation at slyness, Hubris slinks from the tree. He glides towards on bronzey wings, and tries desperately to get the red's attention. A look of LISTEN, I'VE DONE WHAT I CAN. WHAT IS TAKING YOU SO LONG, is seemingly etched in large and worried letters across his face, an unmistakable look of concern and panic welling up in his eyes like a pitcher which is about to overflow. There is little more of this that the dragonling can take, and it occurs to him that maybe if he gauges Volterra's eyes out, he might have a chance.

To you, that might sound extreme. But can you only imagine what a fight between the two giants might look like, if Volterra actually fought back? Which surely he would, if he learned the truth.

When he learns truth, Hubris thought bitterly to himself, wanting to blame this situation on Verzes but knowing that was not fair. This was Isopia's fault, and although the bronze wished the red could get through to Volterra, if he couldn't, the blame would still be on Isopia.

Unmoved emotionally by the embrace of their flesh, finally together once more, Isopia stood with a placid stillness as Volterra seemed to be making up his mind. Would he leave her to this task on her own, now that her dragon had demonstrated such hostility? She supposed she wouldn't fault him for that. Unless he was into that sort of thing. And perhaps he was, she didn't know.

She didn't know him, after all.

"Alright." She agreed with a small spark of surprise in her academic tone, as his deliberation seemed to come to an end.

Isopia's golden eyes watch as Volterra moves passed her, suddenly up heaving a tree by its roots. It is a far greater demonstration of clear earth magic than she has seen in a while. Very few that she has met have magic to rival her own, or that is so rooted (literally ) in her Father's domain. Something about seeing his magic both sets her on edge (if he thinks he knows her, simply because he possess her father's magic, he is wrong), and incites a feeling of comfort at the familiarity of the magic.

Isopia realizes that there's something like awe on her face, and quickly she tries to disguise it by coughing slightly and considering how she might contribute. Her earthen structures could probably chip away at the boughs, but perhaps dealing with them directly might be better. Closing her golden eyes, Isopia focuses on the draconic shape that is dormant inside of herself, and lets it take hold. Her limbs elongate and narrow. Hooves fuse into clawed hands, and her wings stretch from her back into thin and leathery shapes that retain the same markings previously on her furred body. Her maroon tail stretches into something prehensile as her muzzle flattens and her eyes turn almost feline in shape.

"Perhaps I'll be more helpful like this." Isopia offered, her voice now much deeper and leathery sounding as it escapes her toothy lips. She says this partially so that he knows that it is still her, and that she hasn't been replaced by a dragon. Jumping into the sky, Isopia glides upwards towards the boughs unmoved as of yet by Volterra's magic. With wings beating, she takes hold of one with her hands (silently marveling and how dexterous these appendages were, compared with her hooves), and begins to work the bough left and right to try and dislodge it.

Hubris, meanwhile, still had his gaze locked on Volterra and Verzes. He hadn't completely given up on the idea of scratching out Volterra's eyes, but was actively trying to think up a better plan if this all went sideways.

Image Credits

The red looks hopelessly up to Hubris, his expression clearly saying "Sorry :c". He feels like a failure, but there is simply no way through the iron defence of his bonded's mind. For all his many flaws, Volterra possesses a single-minded determination that allows him to exclude all other distractions when necessary, and he's done precisely that by erecting such hard steel walls to keep out even his dragons. Vérzés covers his eyes with his paws and whimpers, as though that will make things better.

Because of this determination - now focused on the objectionable trees - Volterra misses Isopia's awestruck expression, instead only turning back to her when she gives a small cough. He turns just in time to see her transform into her massive dragon form, and the sight of it makes him shudder. Not out of fear - although it may seem that way to the mare - but because of the sudden assault of memories that has slammed him from every angle. Her flying with him hanging loosely in her talons, his terror at the sudden lack of ground beneath his feet; the landing, and what followed. The last time he saw her draconic self, it was followed by the happiest event of his life. Now? It brings only sorrow, and a heavy sense of what might have been.

Dragon-Isopia flies upwards and begins to dislodge the branches with her hands. Yes, that is certainly a useful way to move them, and the stallion nods his approval. Using his own magic, Volterra begins to move the roots away from the other fallen trees too, so the Mountain can move them at her leisure. In this manner, it shouldn't be long before the trees have been shifted to expose the ground to the sun again, which should hopefully meet with Kisamoa's approval.

On his back, meanwhile, Vérzés peeks through his fingers, an idea formulating in his mind. Innocently he leaps upwards, gliding lazily towards Isopia and using his dragon body language to say "I help." He dives towards one of the branches poking out of Isopia's bough that is helping to stop the tree from moving, a reasonably large branch but one that he manages to chisel off with his claws and a handy blast of ice breath. Holding the heavy limb of wood in his arms, the red dragon flies forwards as though about to deposit it a safe distance away. Subtly, the ruby reptile suddenly releases his grip with a mentally exclaimed "whoopsie!" to his bonded, and the branch drops through the air like a wooden bullet directly towards Volterra.

The stallion startles, darting to the side, but the branch crashes down onto his back with an explosive cacophony of noise. The beast snarls and pins his ears as pain rockets up his spine, but his mental walls drop at the agonising distraction, giving Vérzés a window of opportunity once again....and this time, he will not let it slip. Through the hole he barges, holding back nothing, sending his words like an arrow into Volterra's gaping mind.

"HUBRIS SAID THAT MOUNTAIN GOT MEMORIES TAKEN AWAY AFTER FIGHT. SHE NOT REMEMBER YOU, SHE NOT REMEMBER BABY."

The branch rolls off the Indomitable's back with an inexorible thud, but he hardly notices. He is stood, frozen solid, a blackened statue staring numbly up at his dragon. It starts with a ringing in his ears, warning bells sounding everywhere in his mind as he digests this information, this life-changing information. His heart races, the throbbing pain in his back ignored completely.

"What?" he says aloud, not caring to keep his voice over their bond. The words make no sense - it can't be true. Vérzés swoops sadly down and lands on his withers, wrapping his hands around a section of thick mane like he used to when he was a hatchling, a gesture of mutual reassurance. "I sorry." "You're lying," comes the mammoth's snarled reply, feeling his temper rising. Yes, that's better. Temper is good. Temper is safe. This knowledge can't be true, and he can't make himself think about it - it's better to get angry at his lying little shit of a dragon. Why is the red doing it? To try and drive a wedge between them? He must be jealous, but how dare he!

"Not lying," says Vérzés timidly. He's frightened; frightened of the beast that he may be about to unleash, frightened of what Volterra might do or say when the realisation hits him. Like Hubris, he's frightened of the devastation if the leviathan fights back, this time; they could kill each other. The second Volterra's denial lifts, the storm is going to hit, and it's going to tear the world apart.

"YOU'RE LYING," roars the stallion, slamming one massive hoof against the ground as he feels the final threads of his temper fray away. Why is the red doing this? Why must he lie? "She wouldn't do that. She's better than that - we're better than that." His face is twisted into a snarl, his iron walls of denial rippling around the soft centre within - the tiny bud of belief, the horrible, heart-wrenching sensation that he knows his companion is telling the truth. That it makes sense, that all her behaviour fits in with what his dragon is telling him....no! He won't let himself believe that, because it can't possibly be true. He knows Isopia would never do such a thing, knows it with a belief that fills his heart with resolve and determination.

He forces his voice to calm, looks up at the Isopia-dragon in the trees and addressing both her and Vérzés. "Of course she remembers me." Don't be so stupid, is what lingers, unsaid, between them. His voice is loud, confident, but it holds a question, demands a reassurance from her; she'll laugh, say of course she remembers him, and they'll go about their business. She would never forget him.

volterra
vérzés & vadir

coloring & coding credit

OHHHSNAP @Isopia

Isopia

@Volterra 

Isopia shifts herself to allow Verzes room to help her shift and pull on the boughs blocking out the sunlight. She flexes her claws, looking at the two dragons with a sort of triumphant power, enjoying the dexterity that their bodies afford them.

And then, suddenly it is just she and Hubris moving the logs, and the stallion below is  yelling.

Isopia's scaled-expression knits together as she glances down. It almost seems like he's addressing her, but she doesn't understand the context of his near-interrogation. She glances towards Hubris. >>Maybe he just likes to share his thoughts out loud?<< She wonders silently to the bronze dragon, who nibbles on his lip and thinks nothing in return. It would certainly make sense - he'd greeted her like he'd known her, asked how she was doing and although she chalked it up to just being a political maneuver on his part, it certainly was strange. Now he was asking about whether or not someone remembered him, or was lying about something. The dragoness felt uncomfortable and instantly regretted having asked this stallion for his help. Sure his magic was useful and had expedited their tasks, but this was just getting weird.

Who was he talking about? And why did it sound like he was expecting her to have an answer?

It feels like his eyes are searching for hers, and it made her skin crawl with the sensation. She swallowed hard, suddenly wanting to be anywhere but here she was. The thought of flying away and just leaving this awkwardness behind her was tempting, but she'd previously assumed that the monochromatic stallion had some political affiliation that she was unaware of. If he knew about her challenge with Tembovu, perhaps there would be ramifications if she just abandoned him to this task now.  

"You do seem to be hard to forget." She says, gliding down from the boughs and landing a few feet away. Her honey-coloured gaze scans him, trying to see if her words have placated him at all. She thought the sentiment was harmless enough, but would likely fit any number of scenerios - hopefully one of which was whatever he was currently talking about.

"I think we're just about done here.." She continued, voice trailing off as she pulls her eyes away, wanting nothing more than for this awkward confrontation to be at an end.

Image Credits

Through the seething mass of his mind, Volterra tries to see the logical side. What Vérzés is saying cannot possibly be true - it just can't. No power in heaven or hell could convince the behemoth to remove his memories of Isopia, because they have made him who he is today. All the pain, all the happiness, all the untold secrets and the emotions and the friendship and the love have forged the man that stands here now, the man with the bruised back and the spinning mind. If it wasn't for him meeting her whilst the husk of a dragon egg lay glimmering beside him, then so much about him would be different. He thinks he would be a lot darker, for one. The things he's felt for the Mountain are things that he has never - and, he assumes, will never - feel for another woman, and if it wasn't for those feelings then the volcanic temper, the blackened husk of rage and wrath, the battle-forged warlord would be all that remained. Without Isopia, he would be a different beast entirely, one devoid of the humanity that only existed through his relationship with this remarkable mare.

Is it so wrong of him to think that the Mountain would follow the same thought processes? That she would understand that having your heart broken is better than it never being whole in the first place?

"Sorry," comes the humble murmur from Vérzés, and the Indomitable responds with a simple growl. He has nothing to say to the crimson liar nestling upon his back, no thoughts or emotions to spare for a creature who would make up something so horrific for the shits and giggles of it. Given the red's individual insight into Volterra's mind, he would have expected better. He could almost understand Vadir making such a thing up, due to her dislike of Isopia and the fact that she is, to put it simply, a complete bitch, but Vérzés? He'd thought better of him. He'd thought their bond was deeper than that.

You do seem to be hard to forget. That is not an answer. That is not an answer. The goliath lifts his head, his face twisted into a frown as the dragon-woman lands in front of him. He had expected her to roll her eyes and inform him that of course she remembers him, but her words do not fill him with the confidence and relief he'd expected to flood through him. The question hangs, unanswered, and doubt begins to creep through his head. "Kis hollo," he says, and his voice is unusually soft, tinged with desperation and edged with anxiety. "You....you do know who I am, don't you?" A tilt of that mammoth head, the eyes strangely darkened by the worry that has slipped upon him like a thief in the night. His dragon cannot possibly be telling the truth, can he?

On his back, Vérzés glances hopelessly up to Hubris, chirps sadly, then covers his eyes with his paws.

Volterra ignores her attempt to end the conversation - he can't leave it like this, plagued with more questions than answers. "Tell me you remember us." He tries to look her dead in the eye, his gaze unwavering despite the fact his heart suddenly seems to be trying to beat its way out of his chest, despite the great knot that has formed in his gut and twisted its way through every nerve in his body.

volterra
vérzés & vadir

coloring & coding credit

@Isopia

Isopia

@Volterra Q_________________________Q

But if he had been looking - if anyone had, really, other than Ros - they would have seen the change in her.

Volterra was quite right, in his own mental gesticulation of this. His impact on her life had been profound, and without those memories to tether her to the path that his influence had put her on, she suddenly found herself very different. But of course, she had no recollection of what it was she used to be like.

Without Volterra, their love, his betrayal, and their lost child, she had returned to a much more objective and distant state. She only had Zero - who she had offered to have a child with, for purely information-gathering reasons; there was nothing in his timid questions that made her heart flutter or her stomach turn, for she didn't remember the awful things she'd done or the wonderful ones either. She didn't even know she wasn't a virgin any longer. Isopia had followed Kisamoa's instructions and kept her skepticism mute. She'd challenged Tembovu and argued with Aly failing to see their points of view, which might have been possible had she remembered Volterra. For in her he had opened up a small and precious well of emotion that had coloured her thoughts, regardless of whether she was conscious of it or not.

She was different. So very very different, but only Hubris now could remember what it was she had been like and compare the two Isopia's.

Only Hubris truly knew if she was better off.

And this time, to his credit, Hubris hadn't tried to wound the big stallion to avoid this conversation. He couldn't stop this from inevitably happening, he quickly realized, and so merely sat in a tree branch, wide blue eyes watching full of terror and the deepest sorrow. 

Dragon-Isopia, meanwhile, could only stare with a relatively placid if not slightly uncomfortable expression. 

She cleared her throat, her mind - a complex network of tangled facts and deductive reasoning - sparked and spun, trying to reconcile the things he was saying. But none of it made any sense of course. The familiarity with which he addressed her, the words he was calling her...She wanted to tell him that he had her mistaken for someone else, but of course that couldn't be right. The demi-goddess was rarely boastful and so wouldn't say so out loud, but she really was fairly unique. There were none with whom she could be confused, whether it was her appearance, her personality, or her rank and position in this world which were being compared. 

But why would he think she would know him?

Why did he say us, quite like that?

"I don't." She replied evenly, her honey-amber eyes wide and honest. There was no softening in her tone, no apology or upset. The Mountain couldn't feel shame or regret over her decision because ... she couldn't even recall that it had happened. Briefly her eyes searched for Hubris, but she couldn't find him among the leaves, and even his mental presence seemed muted. She couldn't see the tears streaming down his face.

Image Credits

I don't.

His ears begin to ring. Numbness spreads through his body, paralyzing his face into open-eyed nothingness. His heart ceases its hammering and drops its rate so much that the stallion would assume it had stopped altogether if it wasn't for the fact that he's still alive, still breathing. Still conscious, still able to stand here and digest those two words that have just cut through him like a knife, those two words that hurt more than any blow he's ever taken.

"You....don't." He repeats it tonelessly, as though doing so will lessen the impact that her words have had on him. Saying that it is like a kick to the gut is too simple, too mild to adequately describe what he's feeling. Comparing this sensation to a kick is like comparing a light drizzle of rain to a raging tempest, one that annihilates everything in its path and leaves nothing but raw, exposed flesh behind it. It's abject pain, it's sorrow that sinks through the skin and enters the marrow beneath. It's disbelief, desperation, dismay, disgust, devastation. Betrayal.

Those are all emotions that he's not accustomed to feeling. Emotions that he's afraid of, that he doesn't know how to cope with, how to survive. So he takes the coward's way out and does what he always does - he channels all these unwanted feelings into something that he can control, that he can survive, that doesn't allow him to focus on the fact that his heart inside his chest is slowly breaking in two.

Anger.

Vérzés knows what's coming, feels the first ebbings of fury pass from Volterra's mind into his. He squawks, flings himself from the Indomitable's back and flies towards Hubris, landing on the branch beside the bronze and trying to nestle closely against the larger dragon, seeking comfort in him and trying to offer it, too.

"You forgot me." Still the mammoth man's voice is listless, monotone, seemingly devoid of emotion, but suddenly his eyes are glowing with molten flame, his ears ramming backwards and his muscles hulking as though about to strike. Attacking with his body, however, is not his intention. "How....how could you? How could you get rid of everything we've been through? Did I mean that little to you that you'd rather erase me than deal with everything you felt?" There's a voice in his head that calls him a hypocrite, because isn't he doing precisely the same by hiding his hurt behind a wall of anger? No, he tells himself. The two are worlds apart.

Now he's off, there's no stopping him. There is no part of him that contemplates the stupidity of shouting at a massive dragon, no part of him that considers the consequences. This rage is born of something new, something so damn agonising that it puts all his other seemingly mundane temper tantrums to shame and which utterly removes any sense of self-preservation. He'd never considered before that the different emotions he channels into anger make different levels of rage - that this betrayal makes a fury far more acute, far more intense, than anything created by a less important emotion like humiliation. This is like a white fire caused by oxyacetylene, a thousand times hotter than the usual flames roused by wood or coal; this is so much more intense, because it's created by something so much more painful.

"Was it just me who thought we were worth more than that? Am I the only one stupid enough to cherish what we have far more than anything else in my life? Is it just me who would do anything to keep these memories, the good and the bad, rather than go out of my way to remove them?" There's an ache in his chest now. Maybe he's having a heart attack; imagine dying in front of her! Maybe, though, it's just the physical manifestation of heartbreak. "It hurts, Isopia. Grief hurts. Loss hurts. Heartbreak hurts. But you can't just run from it. You can't keep hiding from it. Without the bad, the good is worthless. If you remove the bad, you don't fucking deserve the good."

He doesn't think to notice that this is the first time he's ever used her real name. The first time he's ever used that piece of information, that close-held secret that she never told him. He'd never imagined that the first time he said her name, it would be as part of a tirade like this. "What does it say about us if you'd sooner remove all memory of me than face your feelings? What was the point of it all if you just run away at the first bump in the road?" His eyes flash and he desperately wrestles with his muscles to try and stop himself from striking, from attacking as his body tells him to do. Despite everything, he'll never hurt her - even though this is not her, this is some empty husk of a woman who wears her face.

The giant snorts, a gesture of disgust, of agony. He needs to walk away, to leave before this escalates further. There's nothing to be gained from continuing to rant and rave, one man against the crushing darkness. "I knew you were a lot of things, but I never thought you were a coward." The words slip out, unbidden, a last riposte before the end of this fight, this war of words.

He growls deep in his throat and begins to turn, each muscle quivering, wrestling against the odd burning behind his eyes. There's time for one last blow, one final twist of the sword, something spiteful, something to try and lessen the pain in himself by giving it to her.

"Go to hell, Isopia."

It's not said angrily, more...despairingly. He doesn't mean it, beneath the veil of righteous anger he's wearing. Maybe he'll regret this later when the eruption has faded and the volcano lies dormant again, when he's had time to think and digest the emotions she's given him. Right now, though, he's done with her. For once, it's going to be him leaving her, and with a sense of grim satisfaction, he hopes it hurts. He begins to walk away, his back tight and tense, his stride forceful and propelled by misery.

Vérzés hums low in his throat, his tail twitching anxiously. "Sorry", he mumbles to Hubris, then takes to the wing and follows the retreating figure of his bonded.

volterra
vérzés & vadir

coloring & coding credit

:[ THIS HURT SO MUCH TO WRITE @Isopia

Isopia

@Volterra omg my heart. 

Isopia listens, and as she does so, the tear inside of herself opens up again. The tear that the removal of her memories was supposed to heal and hide is suddenly back.

And it is vast.

Previously that tear was filled right up to the top. Overflowing with her regret and her sorrow and her simultaneous love and hatred of Volterra which froze and super-heated the rocky confines of her mind so much, that the chasm of her emotions exploded outwards. Into that vast trench her thoughts and feelings had waged war against each other, like ancient leviathan. They'd clawed and scored the walls of her mind and in doing so, made their pit even larger.

But now they were gone, and the tear was empty. Except that wasn't entirely true. It was filled with cold and a vast nothingness that pressed in from all angles, highliting and drawing her minds-eye inexplicably into the infinite blackness that roared into her very core.

She swallows.

She is both hollow and unable to contain what is inside of herself.

She is pure incoherent contradiction. Once again, Volterra and her history together is tearing her apart, even though she can't remember it.

His words rain over her like an acid that has not yet begun to burn. She knows that it should, that it will, but she feels nothing. Her eyes widened, two circles of gold that cannot express anything. At least nothing that he will want to see. Her long black lashes slowly cover those honey-orbs, flicking up slowly.

Hubris says nothing, does nothing, as the red sits next to him. He is numb. Tears pour from his blue eyes. Some of them freeze and others sparkle with electricity. The dragon is ready of course to protect Isopia if Volterra moves against her, but something tells him that he probably won't. For that he is eternally grateful, because he isn't even sure that he can move. He can feel the well of pain that wants to unfurl in Isopia, but he knows that it's locked away.

And only he has the key.

Isopia's body wants to flinch as he says her name, but she does not. Something tells her that they are far passed the intimacy of her name. She wants to look for Hubris, but she will not break Volterra's ruby gaze. Isopia thinks that perhaps if she does, he might lunge towards her, and while she is not afraid of that, she also isn't stupid. She's passed the self-harm part of this narrative, even if he's just beginning it. Still, Hubris' lack of presence in her visual field or her mind tells her all that she needs to know. This stallion is telling the truth about whatever it is he's describing. This isn't a hallucination or a misunderstanding. If it was, Hubris would be at her side, trying to figure out what is happening just as she has been. But he isn't.

She can feel bits of herself fall into the chasm in her soul. Once again, she is crumbling. Only now, it is her turn to stupidly stare at Volterra, uncomprehending and making things worse.

I knew you were a lot of things, but I never thought you were a coward. "Neither did I." She says, speaking for the first time since his verbal assault started. Her eyes are clear as is her voice, though she sounds just as hollow as she feels. Parts of her mind wants to unravel this - to tell him that if he now recognizes that she doesn't remember whatever it is that they're talking about, then his criticisms of her are unwarranted. Or if they aren't, then they are directed at the wrong person.

He is mad at whoever it was who did the things of which he speaks. But if she can't remember doing them, is she properly the same girl? But, given his state, she (likely correctly) assumes that he will not be receptive to this line of inquiry. 

Her body - the traitorous meat suit that she wears with a constant 'mind' of its own - takes a step towards him as he turns to leave. Iso's lips tightened immediately as she halts, and her eyes drop to where her wings have spread outwards, as if reaching after him. 

What do you know that I don't? She silently asks herself. What do you remember

She turns her eyes to the trees, scanning them in earnest now that Volterra has left her to untangle this on her own. The demigoddess can feel anger emanating from Hubris now (for he knows which parts of what Volterra has said are uncharitable, and which ones are not strictly true or fair), but the dragon doesn't know what to do, and so he remains concealed. 

Image Credits