the Rift

[OPEN] Farewell no.2

Cassius Posts: 46
Aurora Basin Haurspex atk: 3.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.0h :: 4 [Birdsong] HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
mar

»› C A S S I U S ‹«

His feet do not stop at the edges of the Basin. They break free from the nestled borders of the mountains, slip through the narrow passages, until his gaze settles on another treacherous path ahead. This one is narrower than the others, this one – he knows very little about. He could turn away and travel it with a companion. The thick mists roll on, obscuring the trail by only a few meters – heightening the stallion’s senses. Despite stalling to enter the unknown path, there is a part of him that would prefer to flee and return upon a later date.

Though there is another element of desire that wishes to tug him through the murky road. The feeling of abandon that awaits on the other side, discovery, perhaps perils that he will never know unless he tries.

It is the same voice that has beckoned him before. That gives rise to the gentle wave of thought, pulling, yielding the tsunami that leads desire to thought – and from thought to action. Tethered by the unknown, a victim to its reckless nature; for some reason it provides an opportunity of sorts. Closure, that combines and threads before him in these things that are unknown. That he feels entrap him, displacing him in a place that does not know his name at all.

Breathing in the wet, dense air, his limbs power him forwards. There are no ghosts that greet him, there are no faces – as they rear in the night – to remind him of their tone or scent. The land is entirely new, despite its old and weary age.

The sun breaks through, suddenly unveiled, blazing atop a clear and endless canopy. These lands are wet, but the greenery is vivid and alive. With heavy breathes, Cassius picks up his pace.

If only he had wings, he would roar out into the air with a sonorous cry. He remains silent however, despite the beating of his hooves that flail out into the open. The flag of his leonine tail shimmering behind him, the silver pale crown held high as his chest embraced the cool air with long and loving breaths.

It was as if Imogen’s spirit arose, and danced beside him then.

The stallion finally settled in the middle of the flat lands. Warm from his misadventures, a laugh settling in his cordial voice. A small, subtle smile turns the edges of his lips upwards, as he settles his gaze upon the sky.

“I beg of you.” He murmurs, “That I might have your blessings. Dearest parents, dearest friend.”

He imparts with a fool’s errand. Searching the sky for a reply that will not make the distance in time.

@Glasgow        - finally got this up! :3

Glasgow Posts: 127
Aurora Basin Apprentice atk: 3.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3hh :: 11 years HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skylark
G L A S G O W

Things were different now, for the scarred mare. She was no longer a Glazier, no longer called the World’s Edge her home, no longer was she forcing herself to hide in the shadows. Perhaps it was this difference that caused her to appear out in the open, where the sun could beat its warming rays down onto her white fur. Perhaps it was the difference that allowed her to no longer feel the need to hide her face. As far as she was concerned, from the things she had bared witness to, that her face was more than likely least of the worries that Glasgow needed to care about. Colts and fillies alike had faced much more difficult and frightening ventures, to be frightened of her harrowed mutilated face.

She felt brave, now. She didn’t have to hide behind trees and pillars, and it was this new feeling in her chest that brought her up to the place where she had considered giving up. Plunging herself off the cliff to the depths below in a most certain death. But if she had done so, she wouldn’t have experienced all the things she had. She wouldn’t have gotten to see Maude just after her birth, she wouldn’t have gotten to see the wonders of having magic that allowed her to craft, she wouldn’t have gotten to see the feeling of what it was to truly love someone – and then have your heart shattered in return. Some experiences were better than others – and now, she knew that she wanted to head toward the mountains to start another chapter of experiences.

It’s just that she forgot the way.

And so she ended up here, the place where she could’ve changed her entire future, following up that narrow winding path to the sunlight and burning fog above. And when she reached the summit, a small glance around from glassy (yet still bright) eyes, spotting a lone figure among the silent swaying grasses. His head was angled toward the sky, as he appeared to be searching for something. Quietly, she approached with her pale scarred body and blood stained feet, though where one of the two horns sat upon her brow, broken and cracked, had been replaced with a small piece of ivory to its full glory. Though the broken piece still remained braided in her tail.

Hello!” She called out, eerily cheerful compared to her typical demeanor. “I’m Glasgow. I hope I’m not intruding.” She admitted, offering him a small smile placed upon heavily mutilated, red lips. While kindness glimmered in her eyes, she hoped that the brave feeling in her chest would remain through this conversation. Otherwise, she’d shy away yet again and return to the shadows. She needed to be strong and brave to prove to herself that she was a woman that had lived through it all and still survived.

"Talk."

what a strange illusion it is,
to suppose that beauty is goodness

image credits

@Cassius <3

mar

»› C A S S I U S ‹«

He watched the unmoving sky for perhaps too long. His neck was beginning to ache from the unnatural angle, as his body remained still as a statue. Perpetually frozen in a state of emotional unbalance, despite the energy and the hope that had sprung into his eyes.

A steady smile rested against his features despite the prolonged silence. The light breezes filled the spaces as they pressed against his skin with a ghostly presence; faintly wet from the moisture of the mists he had just departed from.

Her voice is entirely unexpected. Cassius swallows the startle, and the warmth that spreads to his cheeks when he turns to face his visitor. The tone reflects the day however, it chimes – perhaps a note lower, (or was it higher?) giving the stallion an inviting prospect.

He does not expect the scars that blatantly shine in the beaming sun. It is without a second thought, that Cassius the fair, the ‘kind-hearted’ trails his gaze from her eyes to the abhorrent markings that stain her face. That when she offers her small smile, he is utterly distracted – and can’t possibly hide from her bright and waning gaze.

“O-oh, good morning.” The stallion blinks, visibly shaking his head and frowning a tad. His eyes manage to refocus on her eyes, taking a sharp inhale, forcing a slow and calculated exhale. Giving a weak and half-hearted smile in return.

“No.” He said with a warm and heavy tone. He could not shoulder the thoughts that teamed in his head, the memories her wounds inflicted upon him. It wasn’t her fault, it shouldn’t have been – but it strikes him at odds with himself. And begins the battle to fight this so called infliction. “Not at all…”

The gray dips his head in regal fashion. Sending those silky locks to fall ahead, obscuring his face for a moment. Cassius tosses them aside when he resumes. A much more sober smile resumes.

“I was hoping to hear from someone today. But I can’t seem to get a connection.” His laugh is by far more at ease than what his body lets on. “It’s been years, so I’m not expecting a return call any time soon.”

They’re scars – he reminds himself. Flicking his gaze ever so gently to the ones that line across her eyes. They are not bloodied or moistened with the scent of saline, or blood. They are old and – strangely personal, to cross the mare’s face so precisely.

“Cassius, or Cass. Are you perchance waiting for a call, too?” An air of flailing charisma beams once more. Upturning his smile into a jesting grin – tilting his head just so.

Would she notice – he wonders. Perhaps she will give him grace, and if not, than he would have to own up to his weaknesses with a startling clarity.

@Glasgow [ooc: so sorry for the wait! I could not get into character for the longest time ;__;' ]

Skylark
G L A S G O W

Perhaps her presence had surprised the man. Despite the smiles she tried to offer, Glasgow continued to slightly shy away in what appeared to be an awkward display of a smile though her ears flickered nervously and she continued to blankly look around him and not directly at him while he directed her with his small smile. Though when he said she didn’t interrupt, her gaze managed to find him again briefly. His voice was warm and something unlike she was really used to as of late, only having herself to really talk to. So when he dipped his head, she returned the gesture careful to not let the gilded piece that sat on her broken horn slip off and fall aimlessly to the ground.

He continued to speak and while he did so, the scarred mare glanced up toward the sky in curiosity. Did he expect to see anyone there? In all her time in Helovia she hadn’t witnessed someone in the sky. It seemed more like an event that would’ve happened in the land she originally hailed from, but it was extremely rare; a once in your lifetime event. When she turned to look back upon him as he introduced himself she spotted a genuine grin and relief began to spread its wings in her anxious mind. “It’s nice to meet you Cass. I’m Glasgow, but I go by Glas.” She tried to offer a half laugh at the way their nicknames sounded together.

Though she continued to mull over the idea of a call even more, and even though he directed the question to her she offered him a small smile paired with a shrug. “I don’t think I am. But I suppose there’s always surprises in everything.” She admitted, turning her gaze back to him. “I was actually on my way to the Basin, but I forgot the way.” An embarrassed chuckle escaped her lips as she shook her head. “Old age, you know.” She jested, offering him a wink with her pupiless gaze.

"Talk."

image credits

No worries! :D my muse has been rough so I apologize for the wait and weirdness <3 @Cassius

mar

»› C A S S I U S ‹«

She offers her name. And for the time being, the slight air of tension appears to lull away from them. At least from Cassius’ understanding. His grin reinforces as he offers an amused chuckle. “Glas. It’s a rather unique name. I haven’t heard of it before on my travels.” Not that he’d traveled often. Actually it had only been that one time that he’d dared to escape his masters. And he’d rarely ever made the gesture to approach anyone; for fear that they were allies with the kingdom he’d escaped.

With a quiet sigh he pushed such thoughts behind his mind. But the scars reminded him of the less fortunate slaves. And how ill treated they had been, when reduced to a commodity, a thing.

The grey mare goes along with his curious question. Even if the context didn’t entirely make sense. Perhaps though, it gives the stallion some insight on her character. Enough to appreciate her answer all the same. Finally, captivated by her muddled gaze she speaks of the Basin. Cass’ ears perk up as his focus zeros on her words.

With an airy laugh he shakes his head. “Oh I wouldn’t have assumed so! I’m fairly new myself, it’s more likely I’d loose my way in any case.” He winks back with a pressed grin.

“I just came from the Basin. I am a disciple there… I have nothing else to do though. I’ve made my call after all.” He gives an eager swish with his leonine tail, and moves his gaze to the Heavenly Field’s gates. With a thoughtful glint against his honeyed eyes, he moves his body in its direction. “Is the need urgent?”

Regardless, he would show her the way. But an idea had formed in his head, and a proposition formed in its place. Lifting just behind his lips to spring.

@Glasgow    <3

Skylark
G L A S G O W

Glasgow was trying to be different – to act like a different person than the previous shelled version of her was. She didn’t want to sit back and wait in the shadows, to watch the world spin on without her, completely unphased if she was a part of it or not. So she was thankful when he remarked on her name, speaking of travels. Pale ears perked to him curiously as a smile placed itself more comfortably along her lips – infectious from his own. “Thank you.” She replied quietly, returning to her quiet ways, if for only a moment.

The conversation drifted, however, as she mentioned word of her traveling toward the Basin. “Helovia is tricky, and confusing. I’ve been here for quite a while now, and I still get turned around.” A small laugh escaped her lips, a foreign but pleasant feeling as she did so. And when he winked in return, her smile grew broader, pressing against the raised scars lining up her lips. Then, as he spoke of being a disciple in the Basin, her eyes grew wider as excitement bloomed in her chest. “Oh, that would be wonderful!” She remarked. “I was a Glazier in the Edge for many seasons. I created the Greenhouse for the Basin – and I enjoyed my time there. I felt it only fitting that I went there when the Edge wasn’t…” She paused, her head swiveling away from him as he began to walk. She wanted to say “when the Edge wasn’t comfortable” but that simply wouldn’t do. “What I was looking for anymore.” She finally decided, moving her blood stained legs to catch up.

No, it’s not urgent. I’d just like to get there at some point.” A small laugh escaped as she turned her head toward Cassius, her glassy gaze wondering what he might have in mind. “Am I interrupting any plans of yours?” She suddenly questioned, ears wavering in uncertainty.

"Talk."

image credits

@Cassius <3 sorry its short :|||

mar

»› C A S S I U S ‹«

The stallion felt his spirit beam to see the mare more at ease. Both of them, really – moving past the physical tales that at first, made the stallion hesitate. But if he could make her smile and laugh without thinking too much about it, he’d moved past those thoughts eventually – right? He returns her gratitude with a small bob of his head.

Their good and nimble humor appears to inhabit his companion. Remarking the complexities of the world they lived in. Humming warmly as she laughed. “I can’t imagine how far I’ll get if I plan to visit the other herds.” He throws a lofty grunt into the air. For despite being as new as he was, Cass was determined to flesh out the realm’s disciple folk – for the sake of immersing his mind in all that it might have to offer. Or what sort of cultures he might expect from them.

She offers a bit more information. The mare’s excitement giving pause to his legs for her to follow him, “A glazier you say?” It surprises him that this level of craftsmanship exists in Helovia. Perhaps it shouldn’t, considering the stony, rusted sentinels at the edge of the Basin. He half-heartedly wished to see such structures and trinkets built. “That’s impressive,” he admits. Her temporary pause is noticeable however. And for one that doesn’t normally press too far in, he offers a neutral thought. “What is it that you seek in the Basin? If you don’t mind me asking.”

Suppose it is too personal – it’s too late to retract the offer. And sets a faltering, timid gaze back into the Field’s opening. Only turning back to answer her, “Oh, no. Not at all… I was just wondering – since you’ve been in Helovia far longer than I. If… maybe you could tell me more about it if that’s alright. Anything you know of the Basin perhaps? Or the Edge…” He offers another soft smile. “It’s up to you really. But –“ he turns his gaze to the sky; open, free and endless.

“ – I hardly know it. Besides the basics it would appear. I feel like I’d be a better disciple knowing our lands. Wouldn’t you say?” He brings his gaze back to her, lifting a quizzical brow.

@Glasgow :: no problemo <3

Skylark
G L A S G O W

The scarred mare offered a small laugh to his comment. She felt the same, when it came to visiting other places. That was probably part of the reason why she rarely left the Edge. Though after a few times of wandering, she managed to find her way back there, but everywhere else still remained a mystery to her. She nodded in agreement, as if to say “me too” before he continued on speaking. As he said he was impressed by her being a Glazier at one point, she felt a genuine smile bloom on her lips, her ease growing larger as she began to relax in Cassius’ company. Though when the stallion asked her why she chose the Basin, she paused to think of what to say.

After a few moments, she looked up to him briefly with a shy smile. “The Edge just wasn’t for me, anymore. It had grown so large and full of so many families and children running around. And with a face like mine I try to stay away from the small ones.” She noted, glancing away from him with her glassy gaze, focusing on the entrance to the Heavenly Fields ahead. “But when I was at the Basin, I met Deimos and Lena, and they were very kind. It seems like a place I could fit into, you know?” She tilted her head slightly, still away from looking at him as they continued to walk.

Then, as she asked him if she had interrupted anything, he turned to her and answered. This kind of information, she could definitely offer. “Oh! Yes, of course.” Glasgow wasn’t sure where to start – to start from her beginnings or her adventures out in the land? Her encounters with the Gods and their tasks set upon them? There was so much to talk about, and yet she was born to do it. She was born as a diplomat – to go and share the word of their gods and goddesses and allow those that pledged themselves to join their cause. “It’s hard to figure out where to start, but when I first came to Helovia I was greeted by a woman named Ophelia and a man named Thranduil. Thranduil was from the Basin at that time, Ophelia in turn was from the Edge. And so I accompanied her to the Edge, though when I got there, there was a large glass wall that had been placed for protection from something. Before I arrived in Helovia it had been destroyed, and for many seasons I spent time cleaning up the borders of the glass. It was the King of the Edge’s – Tembovu the Elephant King if you don’t know him – main priority to protect the borders, and so he called upon our Goddess. The Edge is watched over by the Goddess of the Moon – though there are four gods in Helovia. I’m unsure entirely of which pertain to which herd, but the Goddess seems quite strict and to the point.” She paused, gathering some air and allowing the words to make their mark.

Her gaze danced to Cassius, happy to be speaking of something other than her scars or ambitions. “There’s now giant spikes that line the border, and a giant metal gate at the entrance.” She shrugged her pale shoulders briefly. “And then Kaos came, most recently. Disguised as a creature named Kisamoa, supposedly sent by the Gods to clean up the Marshes. After all the work everyone had done, he revealed who he truly was.” A small shiver ran down her spine at the memory. “Though, he is powerful. He gifted me magic, before we found out he was Kaos. It… was almost like a bad memory.” She tried to laugh it off, but it did boil beneath her skin. Shaking her head briefly, she glanced back over to Cassius. “Is there anything you have a question on more pinpointed? My mind is a bit all over the place for trying to think of what’s interesting or not to you.” Another half laugh escaped.

"Talk."

image credits

@Cassius <3

mar

»› C A S S I U S ‹«

It appears his ‘neutral’ question is taken lightly. And for that he is thankful. Cassius does not expect her pointed direction to her face however, regarding her scars. Realizing that, as she moves her gaze away from his eyes to the entrance, it is more than likely to be a tender subject to approach.

So he decides it’s best he doesn’t pick at the thought. And feels forlorn over the idea that Glasgow felt the need to push away from the hustle and bustle of her once herd. Absent-mindedly he comments on the subject, “Sounds like an easy place to loose oneself.” Was it family and acceptance then, which she yearned for? An interconnected meaning, not so easily lost and muddled in the throngs? These thoughts collide, but they fail to reach the mare. He cannot claim to know so much, and merely hold on to his assumptions for later. At the mentions of Deimos and Lena, the stallion smiles wearily. “I haven’t met them personally, but that is good to know.”

He wonders if it’s appropriate to inform her of Deimos’ passing. But the subject has changed, they move on – perhaps he will tell her later on. The stallion offers a warm smile and curious eyes that cast themselves upon her. Eager to enrich his mind with the happenings of Helovia.

Ophelia, Thranduil, he does not recall ever meeting these two. But tucks their names into the growing catalogue of names; their residences, as they were explained by Glasgow. He muses over the mentions of the wall, having been destroyed and reborn again with the help of the Moon God. He has heard of the four Gods, though only aware of the Spark and Earth. Inevitably his now aware of the Dragon’s Throat patron, and the stallion nods simply as Glasgow outlines the base insight to the Edge’s Patron God. Inserting himself briefly, “I wasn’t aware that she resided there… But now I know which herds coincide with which god,” he chimed happily. And for both Glasgow and himself, he shares freely. “For future reference, God of the Spark for the Aurora Basin, God of the Earth – the Hidden Falls. And The Sun God must be the Dragon’s Throat.”

He feels far too accomplished than he should be, and gives an airy giggle with his musings. Shaking his head to dismiss his new awareness.

Kisamoa sends a frown upon his face. He is a conundrum that had the whole of Helovia waiting on their toes for his wants and purpose in their lands. He returns her gaze as the mists begin to thicken, and the entrance bears wide and open for their departure. A grin creases against his lips with her last remark.

“If ever in doubt, I am interested in all things.” His smile softened as he regarded the mists about them, the passing of the stony entrance.

“What you’ve mentioned brings up a lot to mind though. I suppose in general I am seeking out what past dealings with the gods have been like. Their interaction with their people. And as for… Kaos.”

Cassius pauses, hoping he hasn’t rambled for too long yet, “I’ve been told he originated from a different land. Something about the Rift Gods? Do you know anything about them, and how they play a part in all this mess perhaps?”

There are other questions that buzz in his head. Why the World’s Edge wall was destroyed. What reasons other than protection dictated Tembovu’s approaval for such a construction – if the herd had agreed to build it together, or if dissent for its construction existed between them.

For now he would stick to only a few things. Rather than plague the gray mare with more, and more questions.

@Glasgow  :: <3

Skylark
G L A S G O W

Glasgow nodded to Cassius as he remarked on the subject of her leaving the Edge, though she remained silent, unwilling to delve deeper into the true meaning of why she left – of how she slept with a man that had a family, and how she couldn’t remain there knowing what had occurred when their faces seemed to be around every corner. So she felt her lips form back into that comfortable line of carrying no expression as she nodded once more to his comment on Deimos and Lena. Perhaps it was better he didn’t mention the passing of Deimos. Knowing Glasgow, she’d probably try to blame herself for the events that transpired beyond her control. She was simply too used to death following her wherever she went, to ever truly feel normal again.

As she spoke her tales, her gaze danced toward the grey stag as he offered her more information. A smile placed itself against her lips once again and she nodded happily. “That’s good to know, thank you.” She noted, making a reminder to herself of which gods reigned where. “I haven’t really met any of them, to be honest. I’ve mostly just watched, never talked. Though I did create glass with the gift from the Goddess, so perhaps that’s one way of communicating.” She added in with humor sparkling in her glazed eyes.

Though when Kaos became the subject, she could feel the air shifting. She, too, was uncomfortable with the god, but in her state of age and uselessness, she wasn’t sure what kind of things she could do about it. She’d do her best to supply others with the things they needed instead of trying to fight a god again. She’d learned her lesson many years ago. And when Cassius turned to her and began to speak, she listened, almost missing the fact they’d begun stepping past the gates that marked the Heavenly Fields. Then, he mentions the Rift Gods, and an idea began to sprout in her head. Could it be that he was a part of all of that all along? She nodded slightly, uncertainty lacing its way in her bones with this new information. “I wasn’t ever really a part of the Rift, though word spread about them quickly. Terrible gods ruling diseased lands, careless in their own people. The four gods created a rift to allow the riftians to pass through, though none came without trouble. With each land that appeared, a god accompanied it. Helovia fought them off, though not without consequences. Many were plagued with illnesses from the events, though as far as I know they were able to be healed.” Half of her words were merely thought aloud, seeing as Glasgow hadn’t spent too much time actively thinking of such dark events. She’d known the difficulties with Gods and the terror they could reign down upon those that disagreed with them – and that’s why she refused to be a part of the events until after they’d calmed down, when she’d appear to offer them a home in the Edge.

"Talk."

image credits

@Cassius <3