the Rift

[OPEN] Ghosts that will not stay dead

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

let the winds erase me,

like the memory of a kiss

Arah swoops into the little gathering of horses watching this sideshow of a challenge. And before Lyanna knows it, she’s pulling Gawen away (for which she is thankful, don’t get her wrong) and calling Tilney the best doctor. She feels small and invisible and like she doesn’t matter at all in that instant. It’s not that she begrudges Tilney. Let him be good. It only benefits the herd to have good doctors. It’s just…it’s just that she thought maybe she’d found a home here. And in this particular moment, and really, through so much of what has happened this season, she feels like she hasn’t become part of this place at all.

More come. Iona, displeased at what’s occurring in her ranks. Ru, who for a moment brings Lyanna back to herself, offering a smile to the girl. A filly with cruel words. Lyanna remembers the girl, and notices that she hasn’t changed at all. She could retort. She could say something but she doesn’t trust her own voice.

The fighting ends, and she takes her leave as quickly as possible, making her way to the two fighters. She’s pissed at Toulouse for trying to shove Raeden off a cliff, but it’s still her job to make sure they are okay. So she goes, but she doesn’t want to go. She wants to run. Pick her legs off the ground and leap off that damn cliff and just fly into the horizon that she’s never explored since coming here. To the Edge. To the damn Edge of the World in hopes of finding a home. A second chance. A life.

Arah probably didn’t even mean anything by it. She probably just wanted to reassure Gawen.

Then why do I feel this way?

She keeps walking, almost to the edge of the cliff now. She could just go. She could let the wind take her. She could give up. I could give up. The thought stops her in her tracks, a fearful and tempting thing all at once.

Lyanna. And she doesn’t even know if the voice is her mother’s or brother’s or father’s or hers. It is all of them. Calling her home. Encouraging her to live in this new life. Telling her to try.

What is wrong with me? She shakes her head, trying to clear her thoughts and the damn ghosts that will not stay dead. This is home. It’s home and Frostfall is ending and soon another year will begin and she will be one step further from her past. They will fade. They will quiet. And she will miss them.

She’s taken too long on the cliff; Raeden's already back at the group and Toulouse is somewhere. Idiot, she thinks, wondering if anyone is watching her standing here like a fool. But she doesn't go back. She should. Oh, she should. Raeden probably needs her, but Tilney is there. Let the world's best doctor deal with it. Go back, her brother's voice now, chiding her. But she does not go. He's dead and he doesn't get to tell her what to do anymore. Instead, she lets the wind play with her mane, lets it whisper in her ears, lets it drive away the ghosts.

lyanna

let these waters takes me

Image © Rhiaan

Continuation from Catch an Assassin by the Toe. Open to any. She’s technically looking for/kind of ignoring Toulouse and Raeden. She’s in a mood, so….

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Toulouse Posts: 146
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 8.0 | def: 11.0 | dam: 4.0
Gelding :: Equine :: 17hh :: Six HP: 74 | Buff: ENDURE
Boomslang :: Green Ratsnake :: Paralyze Neverrmind
Toulouse
tinker tailor soldier sailor rich man poor man beggar man thief.

The serpent gave but a flicker of a smile as the pale mare slinked away, bleating cusses and spineless remarks. Did he stand here in victory? The gelding could only assume so. Craning his bruised neck up high and cheering a primal kind of snort, Toulouse stepped forth amonth the mud. It was only now that the imminent threat upon his flesh and bone had whithered that he became overwhelmingly conscious of his appearance - mud caked his curls and plastered them to his neck, his tail but a tendril of clumps dragging behind his sodden hocks.

Worn out plasma, his face full of diaphonous wine-like stains the creature strode forwards upon his limping legs. It was quite a grizzly sight, one full of what some may call ugliness and some might call dismay. To this blood born T'detan, this was nothing more than a ludic picture of politics. There wasn't much more to it than that and everyone knew politics was foul.
The hecklers who had shouted out their own standings and opinions still remained for the most part; at least that poor little colt had been removed from the scene.

As he trudged forwards into the group Toulouse eyed each one of them carefully before his gaze finally rested on the healer, the only one who remained. Voicelessly and without much more than a toss of his nose the gelding asked for Tilney's help. surely there were some cracks in his bones at least and multiple wounds that would surely fester without a doctor's intervention. The query dropped from the mouth of the emissary had caused the fighter to turn his cranium in that quizzing brute's direction, keen gaze finding his with some trouble. The blood loss and the pain was making it hard to focus, all the while hoping none of the onlookers would try a strike of their own.

Toulouse squinted at the words that had filled his ears, wondering why the Emissary even cared.
"I was not" The snake began cooly, a small and polite smile pinned upon his mouth. "I was not given any orders ever and nor were any of the sleuths if I recall correctly. We were left to our own initiative and collectively accomplished more tasks in one season than our superiors had done in a whole year, maybe two dare I say. A good strategy on their part - do nothing and your minions will do it all for you" the gelding spoke with flat tone, a grumble in his throat and a great exhale upon his conclusion. Now he could only prepare for the tirade of abuse that he assumed was sure to come from Maujas mouth any second.

x

@Mauja
I AM THE KEY TO THE LOCK IN YOUR HOUSE—
DO NOT CRY OUT OR HIT THE ALARM
YOU KNOW WE'RE FRIEND TIL WE DIE—

EITHER WAY YOU TURN, I'LL BE THERE
OPEN UP YOUR SKULL, I'LL BE THERE
CLIMBING UP THE WALLS

SO LOCK THE KIDS UP SAFE TONIGHT
CLOSE THE EYES IN THE CUPBOARD

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki

- I O N A -

”Perhaps I’ll be seeing you, then” Iona called after the golden, intrigued by this stranger but knowing better than to take the bait.  She could handle sarcasm and sass.  What she would not tolerate was her rank fighting like children who didn’t get their way, or causing grievous bodily harm to each other over something so ridiculous.  And why had one of her rank thought it appropriate to threaten eminent death upon the other in front of a crowd of spectators. She took a deep breath as she composed herself - knowing that she’d have to deal with the aftermath of this.  She was pleased to find that Raeden was still standing, and hopefully Tilney or Lyanna would tend to her soon - though Lyanna looked as if she was ready to heave herself off the cliffs.  Not a bad idea, she thought, bitterly to herself. 

”Mauja,” She managed, as she pulled herself together and drew herself to stand near the Frozen Light - content in the fact that someone else thought this situation was as absurd as she did.  And then Mauja was asking about Toulouse’s foray into the Throat - something that had decidedly caught the Specter’s attention, and Iona turned her attention towards the exchange.  What she hears stuns her. 

“You have an exceptionally poor memory, Sir.” Iona said, flatly, her anger boiling down into something closer to frustration because she simply had a hard time comprehending what she was hearing.  Mainly because, for the most part, it was entirely comprised of hot air, excuses, and bullshit. It took more effort that she’d like to admit to suppress an eye roll, but she knew that would get her nowhere in this moment.  She was going to be the bigger person, regardless of what venom and nonsense was spewed. 

“You did have a task assigned, one you still have not returned to me to report you have actually completed. I assigned this task last season,” Iona says calmly, but with an air amusement. Perhaps Raeden had landed a blow to his head, because it certainly seemed that all sense had left the gelding. But as he goes on the frustration stirs and the painted mare becomes incredelious. 

“I however did not and never would have assigned you toinvade a herdland with which we have an alliance for the very purpose that such a thing could compromise the very standing of the herd. Did you not stop and think that perhaps such a thing would need to be approved by the rank leads and our emissary? She said, looking at Mauja since, to be quite honest, she couldn’t believe what she was hearing. ”Taking initiative is one thing, endangering the herd is something quite different.” She quipped, hoping that no damage had been done between between the Edge and the Throat due to this...meddling.  She’d have to speak to Tembovu and her sister about this as soon as possible - perhaps send a true emissary to the Throat as well. 

”I also wonder exactly how it is that you know so much about what is going on within my ranks - especially when you have not even lived in this herd as long as you claim to know about our presumed failures? Iona certainly found this amusing, when the very nature of their rank was not to be seen openly and not to flaunt their successes.  Just how exactly did Toulouse measure them such a failure? What was he seeing or not seeing? You’ve lived here what? Two seasons? Three? When did you become omniscient, Toulouse? Furthermore, when did you ever raise any concerns with me?  Iona never raised her voice, but she was truly perplexed as to why the gelding had such a strong reaction over this illusion he had seemingly painted in his own mind.  It certainly didn’t match with the reality that she saw through her own eyes. 

image credit

@Mauja
@Toulouse

Mentions @Lyanna and @Thranduil

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

let the winds erase me,

like the memory of a kiss

They don’t disperse. They don’t talk quietly enough that she can’t hear them. Instead, Mauja calls her name, noticing her rather obvious absence. This, at least, begins to bring her back to her sense. Yes, her absence is notable because Raeden and Toulouse needs healing. But at least her absence is notable. And so, for the moment, is Tilney’s voice. Perhaps he doesn’t ask like she does first, but when she glances back, there’s none of the dark mist she would expect. Just snippets of a conversation in which Toulouse is (rightfully) getting his ass handed to him.

She lingers for a moment longer. She could jump, but what was the point? For one, she suspects at some point instinct would take over, and she’d flap those teal-dipped wings before she smashed herself on some rocks. But more than that. She got to live when her family died. When very likely, the servants and friends that helped her and Adelene escape did not escape punishment. Did they still live? She might not be okay, she might be going crazy, but at least she was alive. She has no idea if the same was true of those who saved her life.

For both them and herself, she has no desire to die. She just…oh, she doesn’t even know.

The wind has calmed her some, and she turns, finally able to bring herself to face the mess that is happening behind her. At least, it is not her job to fix the sleuth ranks. It reminds her of her old life, of her once-upon-a-time job. But now, it is simply her job to heal. It doesn’t take her long to cross the distance from the cliff to the tree-line, where most still stand. But she feels like she’s tearing a piece of herself away as she leaves the windy cliff behind.

Is this who she wanted to be now?

Most day, yes, she wanted to be the kind mare who enjoyed everyone’s company and loved to take care of others. Some days though? Some days she just wanted to be selfish and stalk off.

When the conversation takes a momentary pause, she looks to Toulouse and Raeden. “Toulouse,” she says, the usual kindness in voice somewhat lacking. She tries though. Her features soften as she turns to Raeden, “Raeden.” Teal focusing on both of them now, she asks, “Injuries?” She can see the obvious ones, of course, but she wants to know what hurts on the inside. What’s broken or bleeding in places she cannot see. It helps her target the magic, and heal them as best she can. She waits for their answer, trying to catch Tilney’s eye to see if he planned to take one of them.

lyanna

let these waters takes me

Image © Rhiaan

Had a few minutes waiting in the car!

@Toulouse, @Raeden, mentioned @Tilney

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
the elephant king
The gilded, newly crowned earned Specter was bleeding. He was bleeding, walking (with obviously pained steps)—speaking defiant words that were toneless. The King’s dark navy eyes swept from the serpent to the Frozen Light and then back, closely watching; was the lack of inflection intentional? Or a byproduct of exhaustion? It was clear that the fight had been an intense one—one had only to look at the wounds on Toulouse’s gilded skin.

Dark eyes rove to Lyanna, a brief moment of fear striking into his chest amid the confusion as she looked almost yearningly over the Edge. His brows knit, lips pressing together as he began to steer towards her in particular—he had grown fond of the teal accented beauty—But the King was interrupted in his concerned walk as Iona began to speak. The bold, brazen Specter began to speak—though her voice was flat, her anger rolled off her in palpable waves. Her words were filled with things he did not know of—that, perhaps, was his failing as King. He had been to consumed with his family, children, and mate; too lenient to his rank leads to control with their divisions…perhaps he needed a more involved rulership…

Navy eyes flicked to Lyanna, relieved finding her preparing to heal the fighters, and the tightness in his chest shifted from that issue to the next. He found his dark gaze resting on Mauja’s clear blue eyes—part asking, part seeking, part steadfast, part…unknowing. He wasn’t sure why he turned to the spotted man—perhaps his subconscious felt the tightness and sought relief in someone he loved. Perhaps it knew Mauja was the previous King Queen. Or perhaps the bright blue eyes were extraordinarily shiny in the rays of sunlight that filtered through the mist, and happened to draw his gaze.

Regardless, he turned to Toulouse and began to speak, “While I greatly respect the questions of both my Emissary, Mauja, and Specter, Iona, I must receive answers before all else,” his deep voice finally rumbled. It cracked once, his throat and lungs tired from his long sprint back from the Veins.

“First, I would ask how you intend to fulfill this new rank if you make an enemy of your lead Specter?” Though Tembovu was not a true diplomat, the Elephant King did know the art of amiability. He had employed it well in his past Dorobian life. Pausing for a moment, his gaze looked between the verdant-eyed pegasus and bleeding gelding.

He then continued, his low voice rumbling, “Secondly, I would ask how taking—or threatening to take— the life of a herd member qualifies you to lead any rank in this herd?” He then fell silent for a long moment—the words of ‘invasion’ and ‘tasks’ boiling in his mind.

There was a part of him that wished to stomp and demand answers. But there was another part, a part that had grown strong beneath bearing the weight of regency, that wished to guide and learn from this…’situation.’ So, instead of delving into abusive questions about invasions and un-accomplished tasks, he simple waited, heavy navy eyes expectant on the serpents—thought it would be a lie to say there was no pity beneath the weight of his gaze.

Mbwene swayed behind her bonded, bright eyes sharp and distrustful on the bleeding man.
Tembovu
No matter how fast or far a man runs
he cannot escape his fate.

image | texture | coding

Tags EVERYONE @Lyanna @Iona @Toulouse @Mauja

Please tag Tembovu.

Raeden Posts: 188
World's Edge Specter atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 5 Years 3Months HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Tin :: Plain Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Dressy

RAEDEN & TIN
Didn't you know that Poision is always Pretty?

The bloody mare stood with hooves still. Mud caked on all four legs, and her mane tangled with mud and blood. Teal eyes burned with silver flecks; she was pissed. It was the type of angry that was quiet, explosive, and deadly. This so called man thinks he can waltz into Edge, and do what the fuck he wants. He is lying, slithering, a piece of shit, but luckily superiors have taken note to this snake. Iona was here speaking to the golden man, Mauja, and the snake. Her words filled with venom and poison as she spat them upon the gelding. A smirk fell upon Raeden's face watching the man about to get his ass chewed out. She did not feel the need to add any word to the man right now; she will take her conflict up with Iona. She was not a two-year-old like the so-called man over there. Her head hung low exhausted and looked for one of the Doctors. She felt weak, and her breath was shallow and short. "Where is my son... how much of this did he see!? That bastard tried to kill me!! INFRONT OF MY SON! " Winded words snapped in the air with pained breaths. Her health was not the concern; Gawen was her only worry.

Like a saint from the heavens Lyanna came to the mare. Her sweat drenched gaze looked up towards her. Pain filled her whole body, and she cringed with each breath. The moon doctor did not see all there, but Raeden was not going to question the woman. The painted mare gave Raeden a warmer smile, and a meek smile dragged across the honey face. "Lyanna, please help me. I do not think I-" a pained staggered breath caused the mare to grunt. "I can heal this with my magic. I would greatly appreciate your help. I think there is a broken rib on my right side. It-" She grumbled again. Muscles ached, and the wound on her shoulder made it difficult to stand on her right leg. Tin ran over trying to find Gawen in all the chaos. Small hooves squeezed between the large horses standing in a group. Iona not happy.... he told raeden quickly before squeezing away.

Disappointment seeded deep within her skull. How could she fuck up so bad? It was all her fault "I fucked up... I... That position was my life, my love, my passion. I would give my beating heart for Edge and the one's who live here. It all has been taken away Lyanna. I failed... I failed my herd and my son. " She shook her skull with soft words only meant for Lyanna to hear. If another was standing close enough, they could have heard, the sadness and disappointment in her voice. Teal eyes wanted to swell with tears, but no she was stronger than that. She gave everything in that challenge, but it was not enough.

Her eyes wondered to the King. Tin happily trotted past the sweet elephant companion. He Brightened his green gaze reaching out to nudge the gray creature with his small nose. Silver burned and would have split the new specters throat if they could, but would she be any better than him? Quietly she listened to Tembovu speaking. He was doing his job and trying to soothe the situation, but barbs were growing thicker and thicker around Raeden's heart. A bad taste remained in her mouth, and she would never be lead by that so called " man." He does not know the first thing about being a Specter.

OOC::

table code by tamme

@Gawen @Lyanna @Iona @Mauja @Toulouse @Tembovu

Toulouse Posts: 146
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 8.0 | def: 11.0 | dam: 4.0
Gelding :: Equine :: 17hh :: Six HP: 74 | Buff: ENDURE
Boomslang :: Green Ratsnake :: Paralyze Neverrmind
Toulouse
tinker tailor soldier sailor rich man poor man beggar man thief.

The hisses that errupted from the mouth of the superior specter only worsened his headache. Iona was a woman he had never seen much of, though he was certain when she was to emerge that it was because someone was to get an earful. Hissing but without venom, striking with no fangs.
"Do you simply bark Iona or do you ever bite?" Toulouse growled in response, however he soon realised that the woman was, in a way, correct. There had been an order to find information on Arah and Kianzo... and Toulouse had found more than information.
"Are you forgetting my role in Arahs return on purpose? It was my work that lead to her rescue. I should not need to report to you on Arahs return, her presence, her health and the fact she still breathes the fog of our herdland should be enough." The gelding's voice was steady yet sharp as a blade, eyes piercing and cold. The barking continued and the sneak could only turn his back to her, wishing there was a way to drown the noise away. "If my failiure would please you Iona then today is not your day. This bickering is useless. Twist my actions and words to your will, however it will remain that it was I who saved Arah", It was with these words that Toulouse strode away , soon under the oceanic gaze of the king.

The booming words that were thrown his way were just enough to rattle answers from the beaten brute, His own minty gaze cast upwards at the elephantine king.
"Make an enemy?" Toulouse uttered, his brow furled "My King, I have no enemies. If she refuses to work with me that is solely her problem. I wont let bickering interfere with work that must be done and I intend to do much with my fellow sleuths. We are a team, one that should be put to good use."

The next question again caused his brows to raise, a hoof stepping forward in confusion. The assumptions; they were terriffic. Was it not allowed to strike a little fear into your opponent? Against the rules?
Herd life would surely kill him.
"Again my king your assumptions mislead you. I meant only to frighten my opponent! Is that not allowed? If not I am scincerely sorry my king, Raeden, everyone. I am sorry for nudging her towards the cliff. Next time my battleground will be somewhere less... edgy"

Toulouse had had quite enough of the stares and glares, the remarks and accusations. The outpost on the hill called to him. Saying his goodday to the king the man trudged away, weaving through the forest.

x

sorry it took me so long <3
I AM THE KEY TO THE LOCK IN YOUR HOUSE—
DO NOT CRY OUT OR HIT THE ALARM
YOU KNOW WE'RE FRIEND TIL WE DIE—

EITHER WAY YOU TURN, I'LL BE THERE
OPEN UP YOUR SKULL, I'LL BE THERE
CLIMBING UP THE WALLS

SO LOCK THE KIDS UP SAFE TONIGHT
CLOSE THE EYES IN THE CUPBOARD