the Rift

[PRIVATE] building bridges [gathering/clearing]

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow

Her blood runs cold and her entire body stiffens as she hears the familiar voice. Slowly she turns, as though the movement will bring her to her doom; she schools herself into calm, trying to convince herself that this is for the best. Ripping off the plaster, revealing the gaping wound below, and sewing it up. It's better than letting it fester - having this conversation whilst the argument is fresh in the mind is far preferable to leaving it months, years, until things have been forgotten and distorted on the winds of time.

To make matters worse, the golden mare is pregnant. Nyx scans her side, deducing that the father is most likely Tembovu, and the thought fills her with all kinds of strange feelings. "Of course," she replies to the other woman's question, trying to keep the nervousness out of her voice. It's hard, because damn, she's scared. Conversation isn't her strong point, and whilst she knows she needs to take a bite out of the humble pie, that doesn't mean it is going to be easy.

"Shall we?" she adds, and begins to walk away from the main gathering deeper into the trees around the Rotunda. It's here that she's guessing there will be more bones, and she calls Dominus from his hunting in order to help her locate some. It isn't long before he's bounding towards her, a femur clutched happily in his jaws, and his welcome presence elicits a small smile from the anxious mare as she asks him to go and place the bone with the others near Kisamoa.

Assuming Rexanna follows her, once the two mares - and the bone-hunting lion, who subtly looks around for Rexanna's companion and contemplates the worth of his marrow - are a good distance away from prying ears, Nyx halts. She doesn't know what to say, what to do, and she finds her gaze darts everywhere but at Rexanna's face. "I owe you an apology," she says. The words hurt less when she says them fast, but it doesn't hide the slight stab to the silver's pride at the fact she's saying sorry again. That humble pie don't taste too good.

"Those things I said were out of order. It is not my style to be a hell-spawned bitch, although I imagine that's hard for you to believe." She snorts wryly, a noise that lacks humour. "I have no excuses save for the fact I wanted myself to hate you right from the start. I painted this picture in my head of you as a man-eating devil-woman who forces men to forsake their natures in order to be with her and her alone, and I was determined to stick to that image even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary." Here she falls silent, awaiting a reply.

For @Rexanna , continuation of their conversation in the main SWP!

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
It was almost a searing pain in her stomach as she stood beside Nyx. The awkwardness burned and swished with each heartbeat as she waited to see how the silver Captain would react. Would she be willing to speak to her after what had occurred on the Endless Blue? Would she push her off and continue on? Regardless, Rexanna wasn’t one to try and leave sour tastes in anyone’s mouths. She tried to right the wrongs. And in this case, she wanted to apologize. So when Nyx said “of course”, Rexanna could feel the simmering displeasure in her stomach begin to vanish.

The silver mare offers Rexanna to follow her toward a location for clearing and gathering, and Rexanna quietly obliges. Her muscles protesting in her steps, but she persevered. They walked deeper into the woods of the Rotunda, a place where the gilded mare had battled once – where she met the son of the Reaper, and fought amid magic and pride. Oh, how different the times were then. And the deeper they went into the woods, she began to wonder if Nyx had chosen a particularly hidden place on purpose. Was she planning something horrible? Rexanna didn’t think the mare was the type – though she had been wrong about people before.

Marembo trailed behind the pregnant mare, hiding under bushes here and there, gathering little things of brush and dead branches on their way. Purposefully trying to avoid the lion, his blue gaze was ever watchful. And when they finally reached the place Nyx had chosen, Marembo decided to stray close to them just in case. The last time Rexanna was alone with someone who wasn’t fond of her during a pregnancy, didn’t go very well. He’d do the best in his ability to make sure his bonded would be alright.

Taking a deep breath, Rexanna angled her exotic striped face toward the silver mare’s, eyes attempting to seek out the gaze of the other. “I –” but it was cut off as Nyx offered her own apology. Her jaw snapped shut in surprise, blue eyes widening slightly and creasing with an even further hint of surprise. She was apologizing? Nevertheless, the gilded woman stayed quiet, allowing Nyx to say what she needed to get off her chest. Some of the things Nyx said, Rexanna wasn’t really surprised about. However, she could relate and she thought that it had a lot to do with the tension between the two of them. She offered the mare a gentle small smile in response, swishing her dual toned tail against her ankles for a brief moment before she replied.

I apologize too, Nyx.” She began, clearing her throat slightly. “Believe it or not, I can relate. Tembovu and I were going through a hard time and when he told me he wasn’t sure if your child was his, I wanted to picture you as some kind of monster. However, I realize now that it was wrong to have done so.” Her voice drew quiet as her gaze dropped. “I should have never said the things I said as well, and I just want you to know that I hold no hard feelings about any of it. I can understand how misconstrued things can get.” And it was true. Words from other’s lips had the tendency to provoke lies and falsehoods. At least the two of them could clear the air. “Truce?” She half joked, emitting a small light laugh to relieve some of the tension that settled in the air around them.

"Talk?"
rexanna
I know the world’s a broken bone.
But melt your headaches, call it home.

@Nyx so sorry it took so long ohmygod
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Her words are greeted with a smile, and that somewhat settles the silver mare's nerves. Anxiety is twisting in her stomach, knotting her gut and aching in her throat, but it bubbles down slightly as Rexanna does not appear inclined to answer with vitriol.

I apologize too, Nyx. The solider lifts her head, surprised, and her ears ram forwards with interest. She hadn't expected that, but it comes as a relief that the golden one doesn't seem the sort to hold a grudge. As a general rule, neither is Nyx, but she realises she's done precisely that by deciding she disliked Rexanna based on never having actually met the woman. In hindsight it seems so petty, so childish, but it had been damn near impossible for the silver to shake her iron-hard beliefs that women who tried to tame their men were automatically evil bunny-boilers. It will take time to shake that belief, but this is a start.

Rexanna continues, explaining that they had been going through a hard time. Guilt crawls in Nyx's stomach as she mentions the child that could have been Tembovu's, and she thinks of d'Arcy and Libertad with a note of sorrow in her eyes. Sometimes she wishes the elephant had been their father, because she knows he wouldn't have up and left as Deodat had. Perhaps the twins would have remained in Helovia for longer if their father had been around, and a king no less. It's all could have's, though, and the mare tries not to dwell.

"Truce," she replies gratefully, a warm smile encroaching on her worried features and immediately softening every line of her face. "Allow me to say, though, that you are a very lucky woman, Rexanna. It's clear for me to see that he loves you, and he is quite a remarkable man." Too good for me, the little voice in her head points out, but she tries to stifle it.

She glances around, scanning for bones to gather for Kisamoa. They might as well do it together now they're here. "Shall we search for bones for Kisamoa whilst we're here?" she questions. If the other mare agrees, Nyx begins to wander around, searching for the objects to gather up and take back. As she works, she looks over to the gold with kindness in her eyes. "Congratulations, by the way. It looks like your child is imminent - what do you think you'll have?" Her tone is conversational, although she can't help but feel a pang of jealousy - now Arakh and Esinakh have flown the nest, she's craving motherhood again, and knows what an exciting journey this mare is about to embark on.

@Rexanna eeek sorry for the wait

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
Being very pregnant had its hardships when it came to trying to do labor intensive tasks, but she was stubborn and willing to help out in any way possible. So she stuck with clearing the small things, small bones and small branches as she listened for Nyx’s words. The silver mare returned the word of a truce and actually smiled what looked like a sincere smile. Rexanna returned a genuine one as she kicked a small branch toward the pile. “Thank you. I’m amazed he’s willing to stay with me after all the shit I put him through.” She admitted with a small chuckle.

When Nyx offered to search for bones, she finished pushing the branch into a pile and nodded to the silvered mare, lowering her head to the ground in the hopes of getting a better vantage point. When Nyx’s voice reached her ears again. “Thanks again.” She began with a small smile while the worry began to melt away from her body. “I’m really hoping for another girl.” She noted as she used her front left hoof to pull a bone out from under a bush. She moved it toward the pile that was growing and offered Nyx a smile. “I mostly have boys it seems. And Kiada, while she’s wonderful, something seems off. Ever since Kianzo was captured it’s been a struggle to connect with her.” She admitted, offering a small shrug.

What about you? What have you mostly had? And what do you wish you had more of?” Her ears perked forward in her curiosity. She really did wonder what Nyx mostly had, and if she was happy with the results or if she wished for something more out of this life with her children. And deep down, she wondered what kind of other partners Nyx had taken, though she dared not to ask.

"Talk?"
rexanna
I know the world’s a broken bone.
But melt your headaches, call it home.

@Nyx <3
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Hunting for bones is surprisingly intensive work, and it keeps the mare's mind fully focused. It is strange how she has never really noticed the abundance of bones until being asked to collect them, and she has soon formed quite the pile. Every so often she departs the area to drop some back to Kisamoa's designated spot, before returning to Rexanna and their conversation.

The golden mare says she would prefer a daughter, and Nyx titters her agreement. She does adore her girls, although truthfully she has no preference. Like her, her daughters seem to be more boyish - she's yet to produce a pampered princess who shuns dirt to play dress up, with Esinakh probably coming closest due to her hatred of filth. The silver's ears prick, however, when Rexanna mentions her son being captured. "Your son was stolen?" It shows how out of touch she is with Edge gossip that she didn't even know! Heavens, she can only imagine what the poor woman went through. Nyx's children have wandered off from their own accord, but the idea of having one kidnapped....it makes her blood boil.

The question jerks her back to the present, and she ponders for a moment. "I think I've had a fairly even balance, perhaps with slightly more colts. Before I came to Helovia, I preferred daughters, because the boys were chased off by their fathers the moment they became old enough to challenge their leadership. The girls, however, would stay with me permanently, and it was lovely to build a proper bond with them and help them raise their own children." She smiles fondly, ruminating over the fact she's probably a great-great grandmother by now. That makes her feel dreadfully old!

"Here, I have no preference, as Helovia's men seem less inclined to see their sons as threats. I've had two sets of twins since arriving here, each one with a colt and a filly, and I've also adopted a pair of twin girls." The last part, the lie, has been said so often that it simply rolls off her tongue, as though it is as true as the rest. "Motherhood is the best thing in the world, but it's also the worst when they grow up and leave." Her expression turns sorrowful, thinking of Arakh, Esinakh, Libertad, d'Arcy and Enyo, all of whom have either disappeared or moved to different herds. "But those early days, when it's just you and the child, when you are their world....there's nothing like it." There's an odd sting in her eyes as she looks at Rexanna's swollen stomach, and she quickly turns aside to look for bones and to hide the sudden sadness.

@Rexanna